PDA

View Full Version : GM ideas?

Jake Klug
12-02-2010, 12:31 PM
With the idea in mind that youre trusting him to choose who coaches the team and run personnel decisions, who would are some choices youd like to see considered for GM?

Mostly what Ive seen has been:

Marty Schottenheimer
Eric DeCosta

Added:________
Marc Ross
Jim Fassell
Dan Reeves
Dennis Erickson
Jimmy Johnson

dogfish
12-02-2010, 12:44 PM
decosta's at the top of my list. . . .

slim
12-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Yes, DeCosta.

RebelRocker
12-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Marc Ross, director of college scouting for the Giants. Terrific talent evaluator.

BigDaddyBronco
12-02-2010, 01:47 PM
DeCosta is great at finding defensive talent. Something we desperately need here.

But, I have to wonder if he was a finalist for being the GM in Seattle, why did he withdraw his name from consideration? Was it because he wouldn't have total control as a GM with Pete Carroll as the HC? If so, why would he want to come here with our wishy-washy owner and Ellis?

Lancane
12-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Jim Fassel - Former Broncos' coach, currently the Head Coach/General Manager for the UFL's Las Vegas Locomotives. Close friend to the organization and Elway, could be a top the list if Elway is given executive power over football operations. Another coach with tremendous understanding at both the college and pro level, has been a coach/general manager before, so understands the administrative duties required for the position.

Dan Reeves - Former Broncos' Head Coach, same with New York Giants and Atlanta Falcons, from the Tom Landry coaching tree, worked closely with the Texans' General Manager Ricky Smith (Former Bronco) and had a similar position with the Dallas Cowboys under Jerry Jones. Close to the organization, would probably love to coach but gives him a chance to work with Bowlen and Elway again, especially if Elway is named Vice President/Head of Football Operations.

Dennis Erickson - Currently the Head Coach at Arizona State University, close to the Elway family and through them Bowlen, was interviewed in 1995 for Denver's Head Coach position. He's been a coach at all three levels, including in the NFL, so has a deep understanding of prospects at both the pro and collegiate level. Again, a very likely candidate if Elway is given executive power over football operations.

WARHORSE
12-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Some people ought to look at the drafting of the other 31 teams in this league and consider..............

TXBRONC
12-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Some people ought to look at the drafting of the other 31 teams in this league and consider..............

I agree that is something to keep in mind, however that didn't matter in some circles when Shanahan was the head coach.

Jake Klug
12-02-2010, 04:19 PM
I saw someone mention Jimmy Johnson in another thread. Thats not bad. I added him. It could be too late for him though.

RebelRocker
12-03-2010, 01:27 AM
How about this for another proposal? I'm high on Rob Ryan, but this may be another realistic option.

Elway becomes the VP or head of all football operations (not GM, but he basically would be)

GM- Jim Fassel. He's a close friend of the organization and Elway. He was our OC for a couple years back in the day. He's currently the HC/GM for the two time UFL champion, Las Vegas Locomotives. He and Elway would work well together. Elway could handle a lot of the business and media related decisions while Fassel focused on the football aspect of the job.

HC- John Fox. He's a respected HC in the league with a great defensive background. He got his first job in the NFL with Chuck Noll and the Steelers eventually becoming a successful DC for the Giants before he became the coach of the Panthers. For those of you who don't want another new guy as a HC, here's why you should advocate for John Fox. He's well liked and respected among league circles. Took an expansion team with a journeyman QB as his starter to a super bowl. His teams do two things and do them WELL, running the ball and STOPPING THE RUN. Would be a lot cheaper than Gruden, Cowher, Dungy, Fisher, etc. Don't look at this season as an excuse to say John Fox sucks. He's a lame duck coach in a contract year. Why would he help build that team for the future if he's not going to be there?

OC- Mike McCoy. He worked under Fox in many different roles with the Panthers from 2000-2008 (last job as the QB coach/Passing game coordinator). Here's three good reasons why we should keep McCoy as the OC, if Fox comes in. Not a great, but good OC. Knows the type of system Fox wants to run. Has a working relationship with all of the offensive players, so there's not a crossover between regimes.

DC- Mike Trgovac. He's currently the DL for the Packers. He was Carolina's DC when they went to the super bowl.

ST-Bob Ligashesky. He was previously the Steelers ST coach. He's already on staff, so it's a cheap hire. Is this a more REALISTIC regime proposal? Many have speculated that this may be the time that Elway comes back into the organization, full time, to help the team.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
12-03-2010, 01:59 AM
How about this for another proposal? I'm high on Rob Ryan, but this may be another realistic option.

Elway becomes the VP or head of all football operations (not GM, but he basically would be)

GM- Jim Fassel. He's a close friend of the organization and Elway. He was our OC for a couple years back in the day. He's currently the HC/GM for the two time UFL champion, Las Vegas Locomotives. He and Elway would work well together. Elway could handle a lot of the business and media related decisions while Fassel focused on the football aspect of the job.

HC- John Fox. He's a respected HC in the league with a great defensive background. He got his first job in the NFL with Chuck Noll and the Steelers eventually becoming a successful DC for the Giants before he became the coach of the Panthers. For those of you who don't want another new guy as a HC, here's why you should advocate for John Fox. He's well liked and respected among league circles. Took an expansion team with a journeyman QB as his starter to a super bowl. His teams do two things and do them WELL, running the ball and STOPPING THE RUN. Would be a lot cheaper than Gruden, Cowher, Dungy, Fisher, etc. Don't look at this season as an excuse to say John Fox sucks. He's a lame duck coach in a contract year. Why would he help build that team for the future if he's not going to be there?

OC- Mike McCoy. He worked under Fox in many different roles with the Panthers from 2000-2008 (last job as the QB coach/Passing game coordinator). Here's three good reasons why we should keep McCoy as the OC, if Fox comes in. Not a great, but good OC. Knows the type of system Fox wants to run. Has a working relationship with all of the offensive players, so there's not a crossover between regimes.

DC- Mike Trgovac. He's currently the DL for the Packers. He was Carolina's DC when they went to the super bowl.

ST-Bob Ligashesky. He was previously the Steelers ST coach. He's already on staff, so it's a cheap hire. Is this a more REALISTIC regime proposal? Many have speculated that this may be the time that Elway comes back into the organization, full time, to help the team.

Sounds too good to be true to be honest

Lancane
12-03-2010, 02:07 AM

That's all good and well Rebel, but we were really just talking about General Managers, and Fassel is a solid candidate, especially if John Elway is named Vice President/Head of Football Operations. As I mentioned above, Dan Reeves and Dennis Erickson are two possible choices as well because their ties to the organization. If Elway is going to be given an executive position, then I expect the 10% sale of the team to be the sign of what leads to that, which might happen sooner rather then later.

As far as major coaching changes, we'll have to wait and see...the one thing I could see happening is that if Bowlen does fire McDaniels, then they're going to be quick about it...so don't expect us to start interviewing playoff bound coaches, there is a certain time frame with a possible lockout on the horizon to be wary about.

And a lot of what may happen could rest on Elway himself if named the Vice President/Head of Football Operations, he and Joe Ellis will likely interview internal candidates; I also wouldn't be surprised if they asked McDaniels to step down as head coach, and be named Assistant Head Coach of Offense, a title that Mike Heimerdinger last held...it's possible, in all actuality and I'm not sure, I do believe beyond a contract that a coach can be demoted, but someone would have to verify that. We could see McCoy named the Head Coach, or possibly someone else...there are a ton of variations that could take place. But, I could see the staff mainly staying intact give a coach or two. Personally I think the issue needs to be handled in a very timely fashion, no matter what they decide.

Personally I'd love to see Reeves return, whether as a General Manager or as the Head Coach, he's one of the old school coaches that doesn't take shit from anyone. I know he wants to coach, but he is 66 years old, if he becomes the head coach, it would be smart because then he could be here for four years and help us groom McCoy for the position, similar to what Dallas originally planned on with Garret and Phillips. Fassel is another solid candidate, especially when Elway may be a factor...but at this time, who knows?

Ziggy
12-03-2010, 02:48 AM
Bring Elway in....to learn under Bill Parcells. Parcells will begin to build this team the right way. When he leaves, John has both the proper training and philosophy to be a great GM for the future.

slim
12-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Guys, I think Matt Millen is available.

RebelRocker
12-03-2010, 02:21 PM
That's all good and well Rebel, but we were really just talking about General Managers, and Fassel is a solid candidate, especially if John Elway is named Vice President/Head of Football Operations. As I mentioned above, Dan Reeves and Dennis Erickson are two possible choices as well because their ties to the organization. If Elway is going to be given an executive position, then I expect the 10% sale of the team to be the sign of what leads to that, which might happen sooner rather then later.

As far as major coaching changes, we'll have to wait and see...the one thing I could see happening is that if Bowlen does fire McDaniels, then they're going to be quick about it...so don't expect us to start interviewing playoff bound coaches, there is a certain time frame with a possible lockout on the horizon to be wary about.

And a lot of what may happen could rest on Elway himself if named the Vice President/Head of Football Operations, he and Joe Ellis will likely interview internal candidates; I also wouldn't be surprised if they asked McDaniels to step down as head coach, and be named Assistant Head Coach of Offense, a title that Mike Heimerdinger last held...it's possible, in all actuality and I'm not sure, I do believe beyond a contract that a coach can be demoted, but someone would have to verify that. We could see McCoy named the Head Coach, or possibly someone else...there are a ton of variations that could take place. But, I could see the staff mainly staying intact give a coach or two. Personally I think the issue needs to be handled in a very timely fashion, no matter what they decide.

Personally I'd love to see Reeves return, whether as a General Manager or as the Head Coach, he's one of the old school coaches that doesn't take shit from anyone. I know he wants to coach, but he is 66 years old, if he becomes the head coach, it would be smart because then he could be here for four years and help us groom McCoy for the position, similar to what Dallas originally planned on with Garret and Phillips. Fassel is another solid candidate, especially when Elway may be a factor...but at this time, who knows?

I know, but I figured I'd have a full explanation. :D

McDaniels isn't going to take a demotion. Either he's staying or he's gone.

Lancane
12-03-2010, 02:30 PM
I know, but I figured I'd have a full explanation. :D

McDaniels isn't going to take a demotion. Either he's staying or he's gone.

Oh, I fully get what you were trying to say...and I think the biggest factor on who we get will hinge on whether or not Elway does become a partial owner and given an executive position - or we should hope. Do we really want Ellis helping to make the decision again? He specializes in finance and administrative duties, he's not the best man to help find candidates...obviously.

RebelRocker
12-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Oh, I fully get what you were trying to say...and I think the biggest factor on who we get will hinge on whether or not Elway does become a partial owner and given an executive position - or we should hope. Do we really want Ellis helping to make the decision again? He specializes in finance and administrative duties, he's not the best man to help find candidates...obviously.

That's a good point. Ellis need to go, too.

Bosco
12-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Rumor popping up on some other forums is that Michael Lombardi approached the Broncos about the GM job. If that is true, I'd be pretty happy.

slim
12-03-2010, 06:17 PM
I think I will throw my hat in the ring, as well.

Mr. Bowlen, please PM me @ 'slim' if you would like to discuss further.

Jake Klug
12-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Rumor popping up on some other forums is that Michael Lombardi approached the Broncos about the GM job. If that is true, I'd be pretty happy.

That would be a disaster. Many may not be familiar with his recent comments. If they pick him, his comments will get splashed around and the same venom for McDaniels will land on him.

The best thing they can do now is distance themselves from Josh and start over.

Bowlen is currently worried about how he is percieved and his chances at making it into the HOF as an owner. If the sellout streak ends on his watch, youd have to think his chances are nil.

claymore
12-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Guys, I think Matt Millen is available.

We already have our own version. He is into QB's and not WR's though. :laugh:

RebelRocker
12-03-2010, 08:00 PM
That would be a disaster. Many may not be familiar with his recent comments. If they pick him, his comments will get splashed around and the same venom for McDaniels will land on him.

The best thing they can do now is distance themselves from Josh and start over.

Bowlen is currently worried about how he is percieved and his chances at making it into the HOF as an owner. If the sellout streak ends on his watch, youd have to think his chances are nil.

I like him as an analyst because he has always supported us, but the GM idea makes me sick. Exactly! He's pro-McDaniels, therefore, he's Anti-Fanbase and would be fighting with true Broncos fans. I agree, we have to completely change the culture in Denver.

Jake Klug
12-03-2010, 08:05 PM
I like him as an analyst because he has always supported us, but the GM idea makes me sick. Exactly! He's pro-McDaniels, therefore, he's Anti-Fanbase and would be fighting with true Broncos fans. I agree, we have to completely change the culture in Denver.

Well, lets look at it this way. What if the Broncos finish out the season 2-3 and finish 5-11. Pat decides to keep Josh because, in spite of words to the contrary, he was going to do that the whole time. But Pat thinks the fanbase is stupid and will get behind the idea of having a GM (and a pro-McDaniels one at that). But what happens if Denver starts out next year 0-4? How is Lombardi a smart move? How is Lombardi going to stop a fan revolt? Having Lombardi as GM still has enormous risk give the level of vitriole towards Josh. This is assuming there is even a season.

Bosco
12-03-2010, 08:12 PM
He's pro-McDaniels, therefore, he's Anti-Fanbase and would be fighting with true Broncos fans.

Wow. I didn't think it was possible, but you guys have reached a shocking new level of self delusion.

RebelRocker
12-03-2010, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE=Jake Klug;1138586]That would be a disaster. Many may not be familiar with his recent comments. If they pick him, his comments will get splashed around and the same venom for McDaniels will land on him.

yup

Cugel
12-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Well, lets look at it this way. What if the Broncos finish out the season 2-3 and finish 5-11. Pat decides to keep Josh because, in spite of words to the contrary, he was going to do that the whole time. But Pat thinks the fanbase is stupid and will get behind the idea of having a GM (and a pro-McDaniels one at that). But what happens if Denver starts out next year 0-4? How is Lombardi a smart move? How is Lombardi going to stop a fan revolt? Having Lombardi as GM still has enormous risk give the level of vitriole towards Josh. This is assuming there is even a season.

If the Broncos finish 5-11 and Bowlen decides that's "good enough" he's not going to have to wait until next season for a fan revolt.

Would YOU buy season tickets under those circumstances?

I imagine a lot of fans will just say "no." It's a bad economy, money's tight. How can you justify spending all that money for tickets to watch a long slow-motion train-wreck -- when YOU KNOW that's what's coming.

The homers will say "It's a new season, we have hope." Yeah, that and $3 will get you a latte at Starbucks.

Same coach will give you the same result. McDaniels is simply NOT going to "turn it around" if he's given another year.

And what would constitute "success"? 8-8 and third place in the division? 7-9 because "the team showed signs of improvement" (7-9 being better than 5-11)? What's good enough?

The whole thing is just impossible. McDaniels is NEVER going to get the fans back unless the team made simply an amazing turnaround. And there's ZERO chance of that because the reason the team sucks is BAD PLAYER CHOICES. Stupid drafting and horrible trades.

There's not a lot of talent on this team. He got rid of virtually all the talented players on the team when Shanahan left and the players he's brought in have almost uniformly sucked. You can count the exceptions on one hand: (Dawkins and Lloyd).

That's why they are losing. It's not that McDaniels has a team full of All-pros and just can't coach them! He's got a bunch of guys off practice squads from other teams STARTING on defense.
They're playing about as well as you can expect total SCRUBS to play. Like SCRUBS. Like taxi-squad extras pressed into the lineup. He's coaching about as well as you could expect. Maybe not perfect, but coaching is not the problem.

The almost total lack of talent on defense (they've got 3 good players out of 11 -- Champ, Dawkins and DJ -- none of whom was recruited by McDaniels).

NOBODY is going to turn that around in one season! So giving McDaniels another chance is pointless.

The severe lack of talent on both sides of the ball means next season is going to be a disaster. Nothing could prevent it outside the most amazing off-season FA and draft period. And even then it would probably take until late next year to have any effect.

And that will be about the time McDaniels finally runs out of rope and Bowlen is forced to fire him?

Might as well pull the plug NOW, so that if the next coach finishes 5-11 or 6-10 his first season (probable) everybody will blame it on McDaniels and the fans won't be too restless.

Bosco
12-05-2010, 01:20 AM
I imagine a lot of fans will just say "no." It's a bad economy, money's tight. How can you justify spending all that money for tickets to watch a long slow-motion train-wreck -- when YOU KNOW that's what's coming. And yet there is a multiyear backlog of those waiting for season tickets.

Jake Klug
12-05-2010, 03:08 AM
And yet there is a multiyear backlog of those waiting for season tickets.

Yeah, because its a good idea to reduce your customer base. Brilliant.

Lancane
12-05-2010, 04:01 AM
And yet there is a multiyear backlog of those waiting for season tickets.

It doesn't matter...there may be a backlog as you said, but a fan can still refuse even if they are next on the list. Cugel has made some fine points Bosco, and even if you feel differently from him and others, you have to admit that it is a possibility. We've already heard that sales so far in the fourth quarter have gone down, that's a big concern when sales are usually at their highest during this time of the year in light of the holiday season. We saw the empty seats at the stadium the Sunday after Thanksgiving...Denver has played on Christmas Eve, Thanksgiving and even Christmas Day, I can not even remember the last time the stadium was that empty, even in blizzard like conditions.

Fans can revolt, and some will say it's not worth the money simply due to the economy...especially if the team isn't in their minds worth the amount. Even single ticket sales are bad, $300.00 a ticket for good seats is not chump change when a lot of people are trying to just live day to day. Executives will not want to hold meetings watching a losing team when they can get seats to watch the Avalanche or Nuggets, hell...even the Rockies. Football is big business and it runs on the fandom, that's something the Chargers, Bengals, Jaguars and Vikings are learning the hard way. Those venues could be in danger of losing their franchises, don't think for a second that the fans don't know that, but the turnout has been in decline, because fans want to see winners. Blackouts are not good for the NFL, that's something they do worry about and why they are looking to possibly open up in new markets...including London. It's why Kroenke would love for Bowlen to foul-up, I've been saying it for a long while, but St. Louis is having a hard time of it, Kroenke would love nothing more then for Denver market to open up for his team. Bowlen should know this, because the league does...that's where that whole rumor about switching organizations evolved from.

Earnings are based on continual markets not only of ticket sales, but also in television programming and merchandise. Bowlen has to be concerned, because we're starting to see teams that rarely have issues beginning to such as the Chargers and Vikings, and when you see the Vikings on that list...one of the oldest teams in the league, there is cause for concern in my opinion.

loveravensfootball
12-07-2010, 03:43 PM
DeCosta is great at finding defensive talent. Something we desperately need here.

But, I have to wonder if he was a finalist for being the GM in Seattle, why did he withdraw his name from consideration? Was it because he wouldn't have total control as a GM with Pete Carroll as the HC? If so, why would he want to come here with our wishy-washy owner and Ellis?

DeCosta withdrew because he's the next GM as soon as Ozzie retires. He's been groomed as heir-apparent for the Ravens. It'd take a lot to get him away from the Ravens.

slim
12-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Besides Eric DeCosta, I would take a look at:

Vincent Newsome - Director of Pro Personnel, Bal.
Kevin Abrams - Asst GM, NYG.
Louis Riddick - Director of Pro Personnel, Phi.
Reggie McKenzie - Director of Football Operations, GB.
Floyd Reese - Senior Football Advisor, NE.

Lancane
12-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Besides Eric DeCosta, I would take a look at:

Vincent Newsome - Director of Pro Personnel, Bal.
Kevin Abrams - Asst GM, NYG.
Louis Riddick - Director of Pro Personnel, Phi.
Reggie McKenzie - Director of Football Operations, GB.
Floyd Reese - Senior Football Advisor, NE.

That's a pretty nice list Slim, I have a few names to add to that list -

Keith Kidd - Director of Pro Scouting for the Denver Broncos (Formerly of the New England Patriots)

Tom Telesco - Director of Player Personnel for the Indianapolis Colts (From the Bill Polian tree)

Ed McGuire - Assistant General Manager/Executive VP of Football Operations for the San Diego Chargers (From the A.J. Smith tree)

Dan Reeves - Former Head Coach of the Denver Broncos, Atlanta Falcons and New York Giants (Helped Rick Smith in Houston, Jerry Jones in Dallas)

Jim Fassel - Currently the Head Coach/General Manager for the UFL's Las Vegas Locomotives (Former Bronco's offensive assistant)

slim
12-07-2010, 05:54 PM
That's a pretty nice list Slim, I have a few names to add to that list -

Keith Kidd - Director of Pro Scouting for the Denver Broncos (Formerly of the New England Patriots)

Tom Telesco - Director of Player Personnel for the Indianapolis Colts (From the Bill Polian tree)

Ed McGuire - Assistant General Manager/Executive VP of Football Operations for the San Diego Chargers (From the A.J. Smith tree)

Dan Reeves - Former Head Coach of the Denver Broncos, Atlanta Falcons and New York Giants (Helped Rick Smith in Houston, Jerry Jones in Dallas)

Jim Fassel - Currently the Head Coach/General Manager for the UFL's Las Vegas Locomotives (Former Bronco's offensive assistant)

I would agree with most of those (maybe not Jim Fassel).

I wonder if Chris Polian would consider a move from Indy (kind of doubt it).

dogfish
12-07-2010, 06:05 PM
DeCosta withdrew because he's the next GM as soon as Ozzie retires. He's been groomed as heir-apparent for the Ravens. It'd take a lot to get him away from the Ravens.

Isn't Vincent Newsome being groomed to take his dad's spot?