PDA

View Full Version : Second half Adjustments Overrated?

TXBRONC
12-01-2010, 10:17 AM
This is interesting I remember hearing McDaniels say that in his press conference so I was little surprised that a story wasn't done on this a little sooner. If I'm not mistaken either Shanahan or one of his defensive coordinators or both said something similar during his tenure.

Broncos coach McDaniels says adjustments can be overrated
Root of losing: not staying the course
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post

"Sometimes I think adjustments — one way or another — can get, I don't want to say overvalued, but the game might not encounter a lot of adjustments, in terms of huge swings in their game plan or our game plan," McDaniels said. "I think (the Rams) had a specific idea of what they wanted to do, and they didn't really vary tremendously from that. We just have to stay out of negative situations, and that's really what killed us."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16746753

TheDave
12-01-2010, 10:57 AM
In fairness to the kid... he's trying to hard to give a good answer. He needs to learn his cliches and stick to the script.

Shanahan would have nodded, given that goofy smile, used the word "adjustments" in a sentence and then given his canned speach about "Playing well in all three phases of the game"

Kids trying too hard

TXBRONC
12-01-2010, 11:04 AM
In fairness to the kid... he's trying to hard to give a good answer. He needs to learn his cliches and stick to the script.

Shanahan would have nodded, given that goofy smile, used the word "adjustments" in a sentence and then given his canned speach about "Playing well in all three phases of the game"

Kids trying too hard

I didn't bring this up really way of kicking at McDaniels. I'm just saying that this no different than what predecessor said.

PAINTERDAVE
12-01-2010, 11:17 AM
All season..
we start out good....
(Except the Raiders Debacle)
and then teams adjust well to us.

Problem has been...
we dont seem to make adjustments to them.

Just like McD was saying..
HE underestimates adjustments..
and it shows in the Win column.

Even when we got lucky and the Cheifs beat themselves against us....
they made adjustments...
it slowed our roll...
and if they had had one more Quarter they would have come back and beat us.

I think we are in for trouble on Sunday at Arrowhead....

Ravage!!!
12-01-2010, 11:24 AM
I've actually heard and made this point several times. People want to talk about half-time adjustments, but the reality is, there is very little done for adjustments. You have to stick with the plan tht you've been practicing ALLLLL week long. You can't just change everything up. YOu might make some different defensive call choices if you see a certain formation, but the reality is, you have to stick with what you know.

PHill Simms has talked about this over and over. He remembers in the Super Bowl them going into the locker room and everyone trying to relax, came out and played a great second half.... and everyone asking them about the great half-time adjustments they made. They didn't make a single one. They stuck to the game plan of which they had been practicing.

So yes... I VERY MUCH believe that second half "adjustments" are over hyped and over-rated.

LordTrychon
12-01-2010, 11:42 AM
McD doesn't believe in waiting for the half.

Run the ball down their throat in the first series so they know you can.

Abandon the run after that, relying on the threat of running to pass pass pass.

TXBRONC
12-01-2010, 11:48 AM

Schlereth made a comment on this just couple days ago on the radio. He mentioned that Denver was running the ball very well against the Rams going into the 2nd quarter and then the running attack was abandoned.

Krugan
12-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Well, 2nd half adjustments being not useful or not, this coach needs to be more flexable and adjust.

His halftime is already past.

BroncoStud
12-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Adjustments? Adjustments? You kidding me...? Adjustments?

dogfish
12-01-2010, 01:03 PM

he also has no gameplan for if/when we get behind. . . . then it's blank stare time. . .

D. Moore
12-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Its easy to say adjustments are overated when you dont know how to! This ass clown is a joke. Im at the point where I think he is trying to get terminated. Please put this jackass to sleep and end our misery already
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

broncohead
12-01-2010, 03:52 PM
I've actually heard and made this point several times. People want to talk about half-time adjustments, but the reality is, there is very little done for adjustments. You have to stick with the plan tht you've been practicing ALLLLL week long. You can't just change everything up. YOu might make some different defensive call choices if you see a certain formation, but the reality is, you have to stick with what you know.

PHill Simms has talked about this over and over. He remembers in the Super Bowl them going into the locker room and everyone trying to relax, came out and played a great second half.... and everyone asking them about the great half-time adjustments they made. They didn't make a single one. They stuck to the game plan of which they had been practicing.

So yes... I VERY MUCH believe that second half "adjustments" are over hyped and over-rated.

But if the gameplan isn't working why would you continue with the gameplan? Adjustments have to be made. Like against the rams we ran the ball well we should have adjusted and stuck with what worked

I Eat Staples
12-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Please put this jackass to sleep

Lmao! Well said. :salute:

arapaho2
12-01-2010, 05:01 PM
he also has no gameplan for if/when we get behind. . . . then it's blank stare time. . .

no its...stare at the clip board as if a football fairy would make the answer magicaly appear

i rate adjustment very high....if a offense is doing this...you can change things up a little on the fly...but half time is when the coaches can tell the whole defnse...look this is what they are doing...this is what we are gonna do to correct it... nolan was a master at makeing defensive adjustments

same thing on the offense... adjustments must be made...if your game plan isnt working...look at why...is the blitz not giving the play enough time to develope?...can we attack the center of the field instead of just the sideline?..if the defense isnt biteing on the double move...make em pay by actually cutting in

i for one am tired of seeing the opposing defense act like they know exactly what play is run

adjustments are fundemental football

Dirk
12-01-2010, 05:11 PM
I believe that adjustments are made and are valuable if you need to make them. Obviously.

McD's issues are that the defense doesn't have enough talent to play consistently for 4 quarters. Every game the defense seems to faulter.

I saw in the Tenn, 49ers and STL games where the offense made adjustments late in the game to make it winnable. But they fell short because of the oline IMO.

Most of the problems have been that the defense can't seem to stop the opponents.

A team always makes adjustments here and there throughout the game.

arapaho2
12-01-2010, 05:25 PM
i believe that adjustments are made and are valuable if you need to make them. Obviously.

Mcd's issues are that the defense doesn't have enough talent to play consistently for 4 quarters. Every game the defense seems to faulter.

I saw in the tenn, 49ers and stl games where the offense made adjustments late in the game to make it winnable. But they fell short because of the oline imo.

Most of the problems have been that the defense can't seem to stop the opponents.

A team always makes adjustments here and there throughout the game.

exactly why the 5 first round picks we had shoulda been used to fix the defense

HORSEPOWER 56
12-01-2010, 06:42 PM
The problem is, the original plan wasn't working either. It's not like we've been smashing teams early and then the "halftime adjustments" are causing us to lose games. In all but 2 games this year, we've started off pretty flat (it wasn't until the week after the bye that we actually scored a TD in the first quarter) and then it just got worse from there. Our best play (when our offense finally looked they they were getting their shit together) was coming in garbage time in most games when opposing defenses really weren't playing to win, just not to lose (see the Rams game).

Adjustments for what the other team is giving you are essential. How is it that guys like Manning, Brady, and Brees seem to be able to, more often than not, improve their play throughout a game? Adjustments to what the defense is giving them.

McDaniels NEVER adjusts. He keeps running the same old, broken assed, non working plays over and over hoping for a different outcome. How many times to we have to throw the same WR bubble screen on 3rd and 7 before we realize it's not working? How many cutesy throwback, end around, gimmick plays before the defense realizes it? How many times can we run the big-set zone stretch run to the right with the throwback to Lloyd in the left flat before the defense starts covering it? Seeing as how it's the ONLY PLAY WE EVER RUN OUT OF THAT FORMATION, you'd think it wouldn't be hard to realize that those plays only work once or maybe twice in any given game. Our playcalling is the very definition of "one too many times to the well".

Dirk
12-01-2010, 07:27 PM
exactly why the 5 first round picks we had shoulda been used to fix the defense

I had to high five you on that one and can't disagree at all.

Like I said before, I am willing to give McD one more year because I do see where he is trying to go. But he spent the last 2 drafts fixing what HE broke. So now it's time to fix what was ALREADY broke and that is the defense.

If he doesn't draft studs for the defense this year, I am done with him for good.

TXBRONC
12-01-2010, 07:55 PM
I had to high five you on that one and can't disagree at all.

Like I said before, I am willing to give McD one more year because I do see where he is trying to go. But he spent the last 2 drafts fixing what HE broke. So now it's time to fix what was ALREADY broke and that is the defense.

If he doesn't draft studs for the defense this year, I am done with him for good.

I am concerned that if McDaniels is here who McDaniels will draft especially if it's a top ten pick. While think he did better with this past draft class the fact is both Tebow and Thomas are high risk high reward picks. I am conerned that he might someone that could a real head scratcher.

Dirk
12-01-2010, 07:59 PM
I am concerned that if McDaniels is here who McDaniels will draft especially if it's a top ten pick. While think he did better with this past draft class the fact is both Tebow and Thomas are high risk high reward picks. I am conerned that he might someone that could a real head scratcher.

That makes me nervous also, but if he is gonna be here then we are stuck with the picks. I am hoping that he sees that the defense is too old and doesn't have any real stars on it any longer.

The Thomas pick looked to be solid to me but not any longer. The kid is always hurt.

Dzone
12-01-2010, 08:05 PM
OMG, dont give Mcdaniels a 5th overall pick..Please!!!!

dogfish
12-01-2010, 08:07 PM
i'm afraid mcdaniels' approach to "fixing" the defense will be to simply draft more defensive backs. . .

TXBRONC
12-01-2010, 08:49 PM
That makes me nervous also, but if he is gonna be here then we are stuck with the picks. I am hoping that he sees that the defense is too old and doesn't have any real stars on it any longer.

The Thomas pick looked to be solid to me but not any longer. The kid is always hurt.

I was hoping that he would have seen before this past draft the fact that he didn't has me concerned.

I think the Thomas still has good chance to pan out for us. It may be that Thomas has learn how to play hurt.

Medford Bronco
12-01-2010, 08:59 PM
This is interesting I remember hearing McDaniels say that in his press conference so I was little surprised that a story wasn't done on this a little sooner. If I'm not mistaken either Shanahan or one of his defensive coordinators or both said something similar during his tenure.

He should not say that. He is awful at them.

Think of the games that could have been won if we did not fold like a cheap lawn chair in the 2nd half

Jax game tied at half.. loss
Jets game lead.......loss
SF game only down 3 had lead early in 3rd loss

Just give us those winnable games and we are 6-5.

This team has gotten worse in games and McD has not done the job in having them prepared in the 2nd half

Medford Bronco
12-01-2010, 09:01 PM
i'm afraid mcdaniels' approach to "fixing" the defense will be to simply draft more defensive backs. . .

You mean like BB oh wait, in the past BB drafted

Seymour
Wilfork
and Ty Warren

McD will never be BB.

Dzone
12-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Second half adjustments over rated? Hmmm, I think a Chiropractor in the locker room during halftime is a good idea. A good adjustment can increase a players range of motion and he can play better. I think most teams have Chiropractors on their staffs now to give adjustments when needed during games.

TXBRONC
12-01-2010, 09:31 PM
He should not say that. He is awful at them.

Think of the games that could have been won if we did not fold like a cheap lawn chair in the 2nd half

Jax game tied at half.. loss
Jets game lead.......loss
SF game only down 3 had lead early in 3rd loss

Just give us those winnable games and we are 6-5.

This team has gotten worse in games and McD has not done the job in having them prepared in the 2nd half

I have brought this on several occasions that we had three and now it's that we could have won at the end. I have come at it from a different direction. In all four of these we've had the ball for the last meaningful series and blew it. Twice the last series ended on an interception, once on a fumble, and of course last week we turned the ball over on downs. I also do think more from the fact we don't have a quarterback who can consistently deliver in situations like those listed above.