PDA

View Full Version : Semi -OT: Gruden to the Canes

Jake Klug
11-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Is anyone else hearing a lot of rumors about this? I realize it was denied and Gruden said he was committed to MNF but I continue to hear this. Ive actually heard its supposed to be a done deal tomorrow. I dont know if thats true but is anyone else hearing these rumors?

robert ethan
11-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Is anyone else hearing a lot of rumors about this? I realize it was denied and Gruden said he was committed to MNF but I continue to hear this. Ive actually heard its supposed to be a done deal tomorrow. I dont know if thats true but is anyone else hearing these rumors?

Well, I was hoping for a team in Europe, or even the CFL, but at least Miami will get his smirk off the tube for the most part.

Northman
11-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Havent heard anything about it. Ever.

jhildebrand
12-01-2010, 12:41 AM
I continue to read it. ESPN is finally getting it figured out as well. I think it was you I told in another thread that this would happen.

Gruden will be the coach in Miami.

Lancane
12-01-2010, 01:04 AM
I continue to read it. ESPN is finally getting it figured out as well. I think it was you I told in another thread that this would happen.

Gruden will be the coach in Miami.

According to a couple other sources, Gruden is going to stay committed to ESPN and Monday Night Football for the remainder of the season. He will be meeting with Miami officials, but his publicist issued a statement through ESPN that for now, Gruden is content with his position and would prefer to coach in the NFL again.

So, right now...it sounds like it's Miami who wants him, but he wants to coach in the NFL.

Jake Klug
12-01-2010, 01:24 AM
According to a couple other sources, Gruden is going to stay committed to ESPN and Monday Night Football for the remainder of the season. He will be meeting with Miami officials, but his publicist issued a statement through ESPN that for now, Gruden is content with his position and would prefer to coach in the NFL again.

So, right now...it sounds like it's Miami who wants him, but he wants to coach in the NFL.

Meanwhile, back in Denver...

jhildebrand
12-01-2010, 02:55 AM

That was the story just after the Gruden to Miami story broke. I think Gruden and company are seeing just how much cash Miami wants to pony up. No different than Favre with MN this season-13 million quickly became 16 million :sick:

TimTebow15MVP
12-01-2010, 03:06 AM
grudens not going there. its not the right time. the seminoles are the kings of florida and will snatch up all the talent down there now. most of miami players shannon recruited will end up transfering to the noles. Gruden cannot compete with jimbo fisher in the state. randy shannon was a good recruiter atleast.

Lancane
12-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Some interesting rumors are afloat in regards to Jon Gruden, Mike Florio has mentioned his name in contention for the Bronco's Head Coaching position if Josh McDaniels is fired at the end of the season, which would give Gruden a chance to work with Tebow who he seems enamored with. His only real remark about McDaniels other then that was that it would likely take making it to the playoffs to save his job at this time. - However, take it with a grain of salt, this is Florio of ProFootballTalk were talking about.

Gruden is according to a few sources using the interest of Miami and other colleges as a hiring platform to get a head coaching position in the NFL, that he is not interested in returning to the collegiate ranks, but the publicity will make him a hot commodity, his name is being linked to three teams, Denver, San Francisco and possibly Cleveland.

My friend Mark Romero works for an independent sporting news site, has an interesting take on the matter, it's his theory but...he believes that Bowlen was immensely stressed from seeing the empty seats to the booing crowed that greeted the Broncos, especially about Josh McDaniels which continued even into the late fourth quarter even as Denver was making an attempt at a comeback against St. Louis. He believes that Ellis and Bowlen met on Monday without McDaniels to discuss what to do to remedy the situation, that more then likely they discussed the financial burden firing McDaniels would have and possible replacements. Remember this is complete conjecture at this point, but he said he wouldn't be surprised if Bowlen reached out to Elway to discuss the matter and for John (Elway) to throw out Jon Gruden's name as a possible head coaching candidate, they've known each other for a long-time and get along well, at that it's possible that Elway if named to an executive position would shoulder more of the duties handling the team, while Pat Bowlen deals with league matters and the committees he sits on. He said he wouldn't be at all surprised if Bowlen spoke to Fanhouse releasing the first statement, heard from Gruden or his agent, who he believes would be more then interested in the position then released the second statement to the Denver Post after that. - It's a wild theory at best, he has no sources that can confirm it...but I like the way he thinks.

Right now, the talking heads around the NFL, beyond the ass-kissers such as Vic Lombardi are almost unanimous that McDaniels getting to the playoffs or winning out the last five games and in a convincing matter would be enough to save his job.

Just thought I'd share what I've been hearing.

Jake Klug
12-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Some interesting rumors are afloat in regards to Jon Gruden, Mike Florio has mentioned his name in contention for the Bronco's Head Coaching position if Josh McDaniels is fired at the end of the season, which would give Gruden a chance to work with Tebow who he seems enamored with. His only real remark about McDaniels other then that was that it would likely take making it to the playoffs to save his job at this time. - However, take it with a grain of salt, this is Florio of ProFootballTalk were talking about.

Gruden is according to a few sources using the interest of Miami and other colleges as a hiring platform to get a head coaching position in the NFL, that he is not interested in returning to the collegiate ranks, but the publicity will make him a hot commodity, his name is being linked to three teams, Denver, San Francisco and possibly Cleveland.

My friend Mark Romero works for an independent sporting news site, has an interesting take on the matter, it's his theory but...he believes that Bowlen was immensely stressed from seeing the empty seats to the booing crowed that greeted the Broncos, especially about Josh McDaniels which continued even into the late fourth quarter even as Denver was making an attempt at a comeback against St. Louis. He believes that Ellis and Bowlen met on Monday without McDaniels to discuss what to do to remedy the situation, that more then likely they discussed the financial burden firing McDaniels would have and possible replacements. Remember this is complete conjecture at this point, but he said he wouldn't be surprised if Bowlen reached out to Elway to discuss the matter and for John (Elway) to throw out Jon Gruden's name as a possible head coaching candidate, they've known each other for a long-time and get along well, at that it's possible that Elway if named to an executive position would shoulder more of the duties handling the team, while Pat Bowlen deals with league matters and the committees he sits on. He said he wouldn't be at all surprised if Bowlen spoke to Fanhouse releasing the first statement, heard from Gruden or his agent, who he believes would be more then interested in the position then released the second statement to the Denver Post after that. - It's a wild theory at best, he has no sources that can confirm it...but I like the way he thinks.

Right now, the talking heads around the NFL, beyond the ass-kissers such as Vic Lombardi are almost unanimous that McDaniels getting to the playoffs or winning out the last five games and in a convincing matter would be enough to save his job.

Just thought I'd share what I've been hearing.

Interesting. Thanks for passing that on. I still say Bowlen fully plans to bring Josh back and the revision is meant to string poeple along so theyll keep spending money on the team. If he goes with the first statement, people will stop spending money. So, basically, Pat is just trying to play everyone like fools while playing on their sense of optimism.

Lancane
12-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Interesting. Thanks for passing that on. I still say Bowlen fully plans to bring Josh back and the revision is meant to string poeple along so theyll keep spending money on the team. If he goes with the first statement, people will stop spending money. So, basically, Pat is just trying to play everyone like fools while playing on their sense of optimism.

And that could very well be, Florio even remarked on how setting up a new coach and a new regime when their may be a lockout could be difficult, because depending on a time line the new coach and the staff could have less time to be ready once the lockout is over and done with.

Yet...I have to look at this from all sides, if Bowlen does keep McDaniels then the organization could take a huge hit from sales, especially seats. If there is a lockout the team will reimburse the season ticket fees. But, then depending on the length of the lockout, they could be looking at a huge issue if the regime is still at the helm, or so I believe. Bowlen also has to take into consideration that by in keeping Josh McDaniels that he could well earn a lot of scorn and the ire of many fans, which could force some other hard choices.

Does he continue in face of the growing ire against him, does he sell the team or does he move them to a new venue? I know many on here don't want to think about it...but it's there and is of importance. If he tries to sell controlling stock of the team, then Edgar Kaiser Jr. according to the contract has first rights to buy the team at the contract price negotiated by the Bowlen family. Not sure what the Broncos' contract is with Invesco Field, which could hamper the sale to some or even moving to a new venue. But, that's something to ponder...it could be rather difficult for either one of those options and more then likely easier to move to a new city. I know, I know...we don't want to think about it. But as I've mentioned before, Kroenke who owns the Rams is hoping that the Broncos move, he would love nothing better then to move the Rams here. I don't particularly see the Bowlen family moving the team or selling the controlling stock, so I have to believe he cares about receiving the ire of the fans and will make a decision based off the last five games and the measure of the fan's disapproval at that time.

Jake Klug
12-02-2010, 12:38 AM
And that could very well be, Florio even remarked on how setting up a new coach and a new regime when their may be a lockout could be difficult, because depending on a time line the new coach and the staff could have less time to be ready once the lockout is over and done with.

Yet...I have to look at this from all sides, if Bowlen does keep McDaniels then the organization could take a huge hit from sales, especially seats. If there is a lockout the team will reimburse the season ticket fees. But, then depending on the length of the lockout, they could be looking at a huge issue if the regime is still at the helm, or so I believe. Bowlen also has to take into consideration that by in keeping Josh McDaniels that he could well earn a lot of scorn and the ire of many fans, which could force some other hard choices.

Does he continue in face of the growing ire against him, does he sell the team or does he move them to a new venue? I know many on here don't want to think about it...but it's there and is of importance. If he tries to sell controlling stock of the team, then Edgar Kaiser Jr. according to the contract has first rights to buy the team at the contract price negotiated by the Bowlen family. Not sure what the Broncos' contract is with Invesco Field, which could hamper the sale to some or even moving to a new venue. But, that's something to ponder...it could be rather difficult for either one of those options and more then likely easier to move to a new city. I know, I know...we don't want to think about it. But as I've mentioned before, Kroenke who owns the Rams is hoping that the Broncos move, he would love nothing better then to move the Rams here. I don't particularly see the Bowlen family moving the team or selling the controlling stock, so I have to believe he cares about receiving the ire of the fans and will make a decision based off the last five games and the measure of the fan's disapproval at that time.

Well, I question whether Edgar Kaiser can actually buy 60% of the Broncos, which is what you said the Bowlens own. The team is probably valued at 900 million dollars. 60% of that is 540 million. Considering Kaiser sold the Broncos to Bowlen when having money problems, Im not sure you can safely assume that he can afford buying for that much. The trial with Elway is one thing. This is a much larger transaction. Id be curious to know Kaisers financial status.

Also, Im not so sure how easy it is for Pat to just pick up and leave in reaction to what essentially is a short term problem. Im also not sure what the league would say about it. Im sure the league would prefer to move less successful teams like the Jags to LA. Denver has been really good for the NFL.

JDL
12-02-2010, 12:41 AM
Gruden isn't really on my wish list... he is a good offensive coach who is a poor personnel guy... really Shanahan lite. Look at what that TB team became over time talent-wise... I have no idea how the guy got that squad to finish 9-7, it was one of the worst talent-wise teams in the league... amazing what he did with it, amazing he was responsible for that talent drain.

I am really quickly moving towards bringing in Marty.. it's sickening on some level... but the guy wins in the regular season ... sucks in the playoffs... and like San Diego he could replenish the talent level on the team in a hurry and really teach guys how to play disciplined football, no distractions, no drama, no nothing but Broncos football... how unbelievable would that be?

Jake Klug
12-02-2010, 12:42 AM
Gruden isn't really on my wish list... he is a good offensive coach who is a poor personnel guy... really Shanahan lite. Look at what that TB team became over time talent-wise... I have no idea how the guy got that squad to finish 9-7, it was one of the worst talent-wise teams in the league... amazing what he did with it, amazing he was responsible for that talent drain.
I am really quickly moving towards bringing in Marty.. it's sickening on some level... but the guy wins in the regular season ... sucks in the playoffs... and like San Diego he could replenish the talent level on the team in a hurry and really teach guys how to play disciplined football, no distractions, no drama, no nothing but Broncos football... how unbelievable would that be?

Didnt Gruden work under a GM in Tampa?

Lancane
12-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Well, I question whether Edgar Kaiser can actually buy 60% of the Broncos, which is what you said the Bowlens own. The team is probably valued at 900 million dollars. 60% of that is 540 million. Considering Kaiser sold the Broncos to Bowlen when having money problems, Im not sure you can safely assume that he can afford buying for that much. The trial with Elway is one thing. This is a much larger transaction. Id be curious to know Kaisers financial status.

Also, Im not so sure how easy it is for Pat to just pick up and leave in reaction to what essentially is a short term problem. Im also not sure what the league would say about it. Im sure the league would prefer to move less successful teams like the Jags to LA. Denver has been really good for the NFL.

I said he has first rights, maybe not the money to purchase such...unless he has investors going in on the deal. But like I said, it's something to put out there...you're too quick to dismiss the variables Jake, when you least expect something, that's when it happens.

The NFL wants two teams in Los Angeles, let's not forget the UFL has begun to expand already and is targeting large markets that the NFL hasn't cornered as of yet. With the lockout right there, the league is going to do what's best to keep the money flowing, and as I said Kroenke is licking his chops, because he and Bowlen are colleagues but not actually friends and he would love for him and his family to have a monopoly of Denver sports, after all they own the Rapids, Avalanche and Nuggets, so? And if the league saw that by making a move it benefited two teams, they'd likely jump all over it. It's not what I want, but I see it as a possibility, especially if Bowlen is overlooking the fans...because he's starting to get some of the heat from fans already over McDaniels.

Buff
12-02-2010, 01:04 AM
It's a wild theory at best

Agreed.

Lancane
12-02-2010, 01:05 AM

Like I said, it's something that's been mentioned and mostly nothing but rumors. Of all the conjecture out there, the one that's picking up steam is John Elway getting an executive role in the front office and him being in control of football operations. That said, the G.M. and Head Coach are likely to be people he knows and is comfortable with.

JDL
12-02-2010, 04:25 AM
Didnt Gruden work under a GM in Tampa?

Bruce Allen was with Gruden in Oakland... do you know who got Bruce Allen his job in Tampa Bay? Gruden was running the show, the Glazers paid a lot of money and paid dearly in picks to get him, he won a super bowl for them... and so that very year he asked (as if there was any asking involved) for the Glazers to hire his buddy as GM in 2003. It was probably Gruden's major downfall. They were both summarily fired in the end... only fitting.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-02-2010, 05:19 AM

I say do both. Bring Marty in as the GM and allow (suggest) him to hire Gruden to be the HC...

I think it would be great to have both a football smart/strong GM and HC at the same time. Some folks think all McDaniels needs to be successful is a strong GM to handle personnel matters and let him focus on coaching. I think if he was a good coach and just a bad GM as some suggest, we'd be closer to 8-8 again than we are 3-13 much like we were with our previous good coach/bad GM multirole. McDaniels can't coach for shit either.

JDL
12-02-2010, 12:21 PM
I say do both. Bring Marty in as the GM and allow (suggest) him to hire Gruden to be the HC...

I think it would be great to have both a football smart/strong GM and HC at the same time. Some folks think all McDaniels needs to be successful is a strong GM to handle personnel matters and let him focus on coaching. I think if he was a good coach and just a bad GM as some suggest, we'd be closer to 8-8 again than we are 3-13 much like we were with our previous good coach/bad GM multirole. McDaniels can't coach for shit either.

I've certainly been thinking about the Cleveland model... I like the personnel moves that have been made since Holmgren took over. I don't know about GM for Marty, he was with Carl Peterson and I forget the @ss hat in San Diego and neither team did great in draft evaluations... but Marty always got the most out of his players and surrounded himself with good coaches. Remember how talented everyone thought that 14-2 Chargers team was and Schotty was shown the door. I hate that i've come to the point of suggesting it, but when your team doesn't know how to even finish the reg season (now they can't even start well), it is time to go back to basics... ride Schotty for 3 seasons, build up the talent via coaching your players up... have them learn how to win (of course then lose in playoffs though you never know) ... I would LOVE a 14-2 season and 1st rd knockout of the playoffs right about now... sad really.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-02-2010, 02:48 PM
I've certainly been thinking about the Cleveland model... I like the personnel moves that have been made since Holmgren took over. I don't know about GM for Marty, he was with Carl Peterson and I forget the @ss hat in San Diego and neither team did great in draft evaluations... but Marty always got the most out of his players and surrounded himself with good coaches. Remember how talented everyone thought that 14-2 Chargers team was and Schotty was shown the door. I hate that i've come to the point of suggesting it, but when your team doesn't know how to even finish the reg season (now they can't even start well), it is time to go back to basics... ride Schotty for 3 seasons, build up the talent via coaching your players up... have them learn how to win (of course then lose in playoffs though you never know) ... I would LOVE a 14-2 season and 1st rd knockout of the playoffs right about now... sad really.

Marty was the personnel guru in KC, not Carl Peterson. Peterson was almost a Xanders/Ellis love child scenario where you had a guy running the finances with the power of the owner but not a lot of football knowledge. He was a Lamar Hunt confidant and an overpaid bookie more than he was a team building GM. It was the same way with Vermeil. Peterson was fired because he sucked ass at his job and it finally took a few coaches that weren't personnel savvy to show it (Herm Edwards, Gunther Cunningham).

I think Marty is a great evaluator of talent, I would much rather have him in a GM spot than as a retread HC.

jhildebrand
12-02-2010, 04:23 PM
I think Marty is a great evaluator of talent, I would much rather have him in a GM spot than as a retread HC.

I would love Marty as a coach or GM. If Bowlen wants to continue with the model he loves so dearly i.e. the all powerful coach, then Marty would be the way to go.

As for him always losing in the playoffs, let's not forget that he had the misfortune with every team he took to the playoffs of running into the team of the decade. The Broncos SB could have been the Chiefs. I think people forget how hard fought that game was.

Marty has also had the misfortune of working for cheap owners. He could build a team here and do it quickly. If he needed one piece via FA, you know Bowlen would open the checkbook.

Like JDL said, I would be all for a 14-2 run with a young, stud laden roster and an early play off exit. It sure beats this crap we're watching.

TimTebow15MVP
12-02-2010, 07:43 PM
too bad it aint happening.