PDA

View Full Version : Paige: Broncos should turn to Elway to clean up mess

Denver Native (Carol)
11-30-2010, 01:59 PM
The savior of the Broncos in 1983 could be the best man to salvage the franchise in 2010.

John Elway.

Why not hire the most successful, renowned and honored player in Broncos history to a newly created position of executive vice president, football operations?

Why not let The Duke of Denver help turn around the team that has been characterized as "a laughingstock of the NFL," the Buffalo Bills West?

Why not now?

Elway, according to an impeccable source, "would accept an offer to rejoin the Broncos in a full- time executive position."

Elway and Joe Ellis, chief operating officer of the Broncos, did not comment on the possibility Monday, although there appears to be interest on both sides.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16738959

Northman
11-30-2010, 02:09 PM
If there is a god let it be so. Elway has been through the grind and would be great for this franchise.

Poet
11-30-2010, 02:11 PM
I don't want to be a downer, but just because you're a great player doesn't mean you'll be a great executive. It doesn't mean you can't be one either, but I'm just saying.

Northman
11-30-2010, 02:16 PM
I don't want to be a downer, but just because you're a great player doesn't mean you'll be a great executive. It doesn't mean you can't be one either, but I'm just saying.

Very true, however i believe John can be. He's a veteran and a icon in the Denver community. He's run the Colorado Crush on a executive level and is familiar with player adversity, etc. Not too mention he is a pretty inspirational leader even after all this time. I cant see how having him involved in some capacity to be a bad thing for this team. It probably wont happen but i would be all for it. Something has to give here.

Poet
11-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Very true, however i believe John can be. He's a veteran and a icon in the Denver community. He's run the Colorado Crush on a executive level and is familiar with player adversity, etc. Not too mention he is a pretty inspirational leader even after all this time. I cant see how having him involved in some capacity to be a bad thing for this team. It probably wont happen but i would be all for it. Something has to give here.

I would actually bet on him being semi-successful. People can talk about dumb jocks all they want, but you don't know to Stanford if you're unintelligent.

At the very least he would be an invaluable adviser in regards to players.

And as you said, it would probably be a reprieve for Bronco fans.

Nomad
11-30-2010, 02:23 PM
The question would be answered (success or failure) whether he can make an impact on the BRONCOS through the FO!!

silkamilkamonico
11-30-2010, 02:24 PM
But Elway and coach Mike Shana- han — former best friends and quarterback-coach — had a personal falling out, and Elway was banned from Dove Valley, even after his selection to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Wow. I did not know this. Anyone know wht happened?

Northman
11-30-2010, 02:40 PM

I forget what was said but this was brought a while back. Have to see if i can find that thread again. It might of been one that Carol posted actually.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
11-30-2010, 02:52 PM
I like Elway not as much as others after I met him and he wasn't that nice... still love him tho.... But dear god make this move to unite our fan base over something at least. And you know Elway will work his ass off for this team

Ravage!!!
11-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Elway was my favorite player. Elway STILL is my favorite player of all time, and I FIRMLY believe he's the greatest QB to play the game.

That being said, I'm not sold for a minute that he's the guy that could do the job. Not only that, but I fear that it will take a lot of teh shine from his memory. He might be fantastic, but he would HAVE to be fantastic in order to NOT be hammered.

broncofaninfla
11-30-2010, 03:10 PM
He couldn't be any worse than what we have now plus he would bring back a new identity. I'm ready for The Bronco Way, the Patriot way has a stench about it.

Elway has been a succesful player and business man in his retirement, graduated from a great college too. He's liked and respected, I'd love to see him back involved with the Broncos franchise. Hell I'd take anbody over Xanders at this point.

Northman
11-30-2010, 03:13 PM
and I FIRMLY believe he's the greatest QB to play the game.

Yea, never been a question in my mind. For me at least.

Ziggy
11-30-2010, 03:55 PM
The ideal scenario? Hire Bill Parcell's with the understanding that Elway comes in as his protege. The team gets rebuilt in the trenches and when Parcells walks, we have a legit GM in Elway to take over.

broncofaninfla
11-30-2010, 04:13 PM
The ideal scenario? Hire Bill Parcell's with the understanding that Elway comes in as his protege. The team gets rebuilt in the trenches and when Parcells walks, we have a legit GM in Elway to take over.

I love this suggestion!

south side
11-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Not only was Elway a great player who led the Broncos to TWO Super Bowl wins, but he's been a business leader and best of all after he retired HE STAYED HERE. He made Colorado his home and loves it like the rest of us. He could have bought an island somewhere and left here forever but he stayed. I think Pat Bowlen would take a big step in the right direction by hiring John Elway as Vice-President.
I've been a fan of the Broncos for decades now and as of late feel so detached from any enthusiasm for the team. I really don't plan to watch much the rest of this year. What a disaster! :rolleyes:

Jake Klug
11-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Elway was my favorite player. Elway STILL is my favorite player of all time, and I FIRMLY believe he's the greatest QB to play the game.

That being said, I'm not sold for a minute that he's the guy that could do the job. Not only that, but I fear that it will take a lot of teh shine from his memory. He might be fantastic, but he would HAVE to be fantastic in order to NOT be hammered.

This. And its not really fair to put this on him. It would be tragic if the stink from the McDaniels era put a stain on Elway's legacy.

BroncoStud
11-30-2010, 04:54 PM
I like this idea. Elway is no dummy, he can't possibly be worse than what we have now and he loves this franchise which means he would not be in it for himself, like McDaniels appears to be right now.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Bringing John into the organization would be bringing someone in, not because they are looking at it like a "business venture", but because John truly LOVES the Broncos, truly CARES how they do, cares for the Broncos' fans, and the City of Denver. This is what the Broncos need now, and have needed for quite some time.

Dzone
11-30-2010, 06:12 PM
I was a waiter in 1983 at a Bennigans in Lakewood. I remember a cook coming up to me in the kitchen and says "Did you here about this new Quarterback of the Broncos, some guy named LEEWAY"..Elway was so new to the city that the guy didnt even know how to pronounce his name. Then I remember that Elway was catching flak for his tipping at restaruants and what kind of candy he gave out at halloween. He was on the cover of SI that summer...I was out of state in college during his first two superbowls, but subscribed to the Rocky Mountain news in the mail. Remember that devastation. Then when favres pass hit the ground..OMG...every one remembers where they were when that happened

It would seem that Elway makes a lot of sense. No cmparison to other guys like Millen, Larry Bird, Bill russell, michael jordan...those guys didnt have the business training and experience and the huge attachment to the franchise. Stanford economics degree. Multimillionaire business man. Knowledge of the game. Hopefully a good judge of talent.

Tned
11-30-2010, 06:40 PM

I think Woody is playing a little loose with the facts by saying he was "banned", but yea, there was a falling out. However, supposedly they patched things up at some point. I'm pretty sure Shanahan (and Reeves) went to his induction.

Buff
11-30-2010, 07:01 PM

This is about as close to an explanation as I could find... News to me as well:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/413764-mile-high-feud-john-elway-and-mike-shanahan-still-have-a-beef-but-why

Denver Native (Carol)
11-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Some things from a Paige article posted 6/27/10

This is a super development. It was too long coming. Lamentably, the Broncos and Elway have been estranged since he retired 11 years ago.

McDaniels opens door

The Hall of Fame quarterback attended a recent minicamp workout (closed to the media, so it went unreported). McDaniels told me Saturday that Elway is "welcome any time to Dove Valley. I look forward to that as head coach. He is the greatest Bronco of all time and someone all our players should know and respect. We can benefit from John's knowledge, presence and experience."

John wasn't as welcomed before.

There was a breakdown between Elway and Mike Shanahan.

"Honestly, some things went on between Mike and me," said Elway, who wouldn't elaborate.

However, even after Shanahan and Elway won two Super Bowls (after losing three together) and John retired, the abyss widened, because Bowlen had shouted "this one's for John" after the first title, Shanahan didn't want Elway in an executive role, and if the coach won without Elway, that one would be for Shanahan.

So, John was persona non grata at Dove Valley until Mc- Daniels reached out to Elway.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_15386559

gobroncsnv
11-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Ozzie Newsome was a great player, and a pretty much equally good GM. Plus, the instant credibility 7 would bring to the table would be a large booster shot to the fan base. Right now, and for many years running, our GM-ing has left much to be desired. I actually think Denver's biggest weakness is the front office.

EMB6903
11-30-2010, 07:40 PM

Hammered by who? opposing teams?

Because it certainly wouldnt be the fans or the local media..

EMB6903
11-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Not only was Elway a great player who led the Broncos to TWO Super Bowl wins, but he's been a business leader and best of all after he retired HE STAYED HERE. He made Colorado his home and loves it like the rest of us. He could have bought an island somewhere and left here forever but he stayed. I think Pat Bowlen would take a big step in the right direction by hiring John Elway as Vice-President.
I've been a fan of the Broncos for decades now and as of late feel so detached from any enthusiasm for the team. I really don't plan to watch much the rest of this year. What a disaster! :rolleyes:

couldnt have said it any better.

Krugan
11-30-2010, 07:45 PM
I understand the idea behind bringing Elway into a bigger role than what is already on the table. And believe me I would love to #7 back in a heavy role.

My gut tells me yes, John would bring a different attitude in, a winning attitude. Despite the Super Bowl blowouts, the Broncos always seemed to ahve a chance when he was here.

That being said, im not so sure that the franchise needs to be under that shadow anymore that it already is. So much of a legacy to try and get past, to have it there everyday in control, I just dont know about it.

Nomad
12-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Here ya go BRONCO fans.......Here's another perspective!! Go get him!:lol:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/02/broncos-should-say-no-thanks-to-elway/

Buff
12-02-2010, 02:00 PM
I tend to lean more towards Florio's line of thinking... That's why I find it funny when you hear us fans talk about who should be GM and it's always like the same 5 guys who are former players or coaches... (Marty, Parcells, Holmgren, Pioli, Elway). It just smacks of having a really narrow perspective. There are probaby much less sexy, but much more qualified people out there.

Nomad
12-02-2010, 02:05 PM
I tend to lean more towards Florio's line of thinking... That's why I find it funny when you hear us fans talk about who should be GM and it's always like the same 5 guys who are former players or coaches... (Marty, Parcells, Holmgren, Pioli, Elway). It just smacks of having a really narrow perspective. There are probaby much less sexy, but much more qualified people out there.

You're probably right!! I forgot Marino even tried to be a GM in Miami!

Ravage!!!
12-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Hammered by who? opposing teams?

Because it certainly wouldnt be the fans or the local media..

Oh yes he would. The fans and the media would come down on him. There are fans on THIS board that don't think THAT highly of Elway, anyway. There are always people in the media that would love to attack him, and fans would ALWAYS feel they know more than the GM (me included on that).

He would get hammered by he Media, he would eventually get hammered by the fans, and (to me) I think its an absolute NO WIN situation for Elway.

He's already sitting at the very PEAK of where a guy can sit with a city. Doing something like that will ONLY set you up for every person in the nation, that can pick up a rock, to try and knock you off. With today's internet at everyone's cell phone, twitter, blog, facebook, and you-tube show....every single person has the ability to sling a boulder.

NightTrainLayne
12-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Here ya go BRONCO fans.......Here's another perspective!! Go get him!:lol:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/02/broncos-should-say-no-thanks-to-elway/

Haha! "Reviewing the Penske file". :elefant:

Pat Bowlen: John! John! Where's my Calzone?!?!

John: I'm on it sir!

slim
12-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Oh yes he would. The fans and the media would come down on him. There are fans on THIS board that don't think THAT highly of Elway, anyway. There are always people in the media that would love to attack him, and fans would ALWAYS feel they know more than the GM (me included on that).

He would get hammered by he Media, he would eventually get hammered by the fans, and (to me) I think its an absolute NO WIN situation for Elway.

He's already sitting at the very PEAK of where a guy can sit with a city. Doing something like that will ONLY set you up for every person in the nation, that can pick up a rock, to try and knock you off. With today's internet at everyone's cell phone, twitter, blog, facebook, and you-tube show....every single person has the ability to sling a boulder.

I think clay is gone.