PDA

View Full Version : Who would be next Broncos' Head Coach?

Magnificent Seven
08-25-2008, 02:25 PM
What if Mike Shanahan decided to retire or resign... who would be next Broncos' head coach?

It would be cool if Pat Bowlen hires Gary Kubiak as Broncos' head coach. Alternatively, Broncos could get Kyle Shanahan. Mike could hands his playbooks to his son. Teach him about Broncos' offense plays and etc.

Kyle Shanahan (born December 14, 1979 in Minneapolis, Minnesota) is the current offensive coordinator for the NFL's Houston Texans. Shanahan, at 28 years, 26 days old, became the youngest coordinator in the NFL when he was promoted on January 11, 2008. His father, Mike Shanahan, is the current head coach for the Denver Broncos.

Considered one of the ‘rising young stars’ in the NFL coaching ranks, Shanahan was immediately dealt as the frontrunner for the vacant offensive coordinator position after Mike Sherman had left the Texans to take over as head coach at Texas A&M University.[4] On January 11, 2008, he was officially promoted, becoming the youngest coordinator in the NFL, being more than three years younger than Josh McDaniels of the New England Patriots.

Your thoughts?

NightTrainLayne
08-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Shanny's not going anywhere for quite a while so it's kind of a moot point.

However, with Bowlen's loyalty/affection for prior coaches I'm sure Kubiak would be his #1 target. And with Kubiak's affinity for Denver and Bowlen, it would be a match made in heaven.

Jmho.

claymore
08-25-2008, 02:35 PM
I was hoping it was going to be Kubes. But since Mike isnt going anywhere, I really hope the next one is Kyle Shanahan

Superchop 7
08-25-2008, 02:45 PM
This is beyond stupid.

DenBronx
08-25-2008, 02:48 PM
This is beyond stupid.

maybe so but it is but its still fun to discuss.

i think jeff fisher or bill cowher

MOtorboat
08-25-2008, 02:58 PM
I was hoping it was going to be Kubes. But since Mike isnt going anywhere, I really hope the next one is Kyle Shanahan

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!

This is beyond stupid.

Says the guy who's username is "Blah, Blah, Blah"

Nice.

Stargazer
08-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Because of #6 I don't expect Shanny to go anywhere anytime soon.

hamrob
08-25-2008, 03:01 PM
My vot's for Kyle Shanahan. Or...perhaps Layne Kiffin?

Superchop 7
08-25-2008, 03:09 PM
Fantasy land,

Yeah, this is relevant.
Thank GOD for the 4:20 crowd.

Here's what "really" happens....

The "next" coach is 4-12.

Appreciate what you have......when you have it.

Mike
08-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Fantasy land,

Yeah, this is relevant.
Thank GOD for the 4:20 crowd.

So don't respond. :noidea:

Dreadnought
08-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Totally hypohetical? Lane Kiffen. That would be great to stuff it up greasy Al's Can again.

Skinny
08-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Rick Dennison.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Dream, WTM and Triple Option.

Tned
08-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Alex Gibbs. Get those damn linemen mean again.

Coast Guard
08-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Since it's hypothetical...Rod Smith

Dean
08-25-2008, 08:39 PM
What if Mike Shanahan decided to retire or resign... who would be next Broncos' head coach?

It would be cool if Pat Bowlen hires Gary Kubiak as Broncos' head coach. Alternatively, Broncos could get Kyle Shanahan. Mike could hands his playbooks to his son. Teach him about Broncos' offense plays and etc.

Kyle Shanahan (born December 14, 1979 in Minneapolis, Minnesota) is the current offensive coordinator for the NFL's Houston Texans. Shanahan, at 28 years, 26 days old, became the youngest coordinator in the NFL when he was promoted on January 11, 2008. His father, Mike Shanahan, is the current head coach for the Denver Broncos.

Considered one of the ‘rising young stars’ in the NFL coaching ranks, Shanahan was immediately dealt as the frontrunner for the vacant offensive coordinator position after Mike Sherman had left the Texans to take over as head coach at Texas A&M University.[4] On January 11, 2008, he was officially promoted, becoming the youngest coordinator in the NFL, being more than three years younger than Josh McDaniels of the New England Patriots.

Your thoughts?

My crystal ball doesn't see that far in the future. Mike Shanahan will be here for quite a while. :beer:

WARHORSE
08-26-2008, 02:26 AM
Since its hypothetical.....Bill Walsh.

WARHORSE
08-26-2008, 02:27 AM
My crystal ball doesn't see that far in the future. Mike Shanahan will be here for quite a while. :beer:

At least for a threepeat.

BroncoJoe
08-26-2008, 07:19 AM
Kubiak isn't going to leave Texas guys. Sorry.

claymore
08-26-2008, 07:40 AM

At Kyle Shanahan's current pace he could be better than Kubiak.

BroncoJoe
08-26-2008, 07:51 AM
At Kyle Shanahan's current pace he could be better than Kubiak.

The question is, is it Shanahan or Kubiak?

xzn
08-26-2008, 11:31 AM
By the time Mike stops coaching the Texans will be getting ready to name a street around their training camp for Kubiak and Kyle will 7 years into his first Head Coaching job... The next coach of the Denver Broncos is currently working as an Assistant / Quality Control coach somewhere breaking down film and paying his dues. No one outside of his immediate family has ever heard of him but we'll hire him over the next few years and groom him to be the heir apparent.

Simple Jaded
08-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Mike Heimerdinger, or maybe Lane Kiffin (Especially if he can bring his dad with him).

Rod Smith would have to demonstrate a desire to coach and the job could be his someday......

Northman
08-26-2008, 01:00 PM
My first guess would be to try and snag Jeff Fisher. They guy can get blood from a stone.

Lonestar
08-26-2008, 02:08 PM
do not see any existing Head coaches coming here.. would have to pay to much to do so..

I could see Cowher though.. Seems to be a good X and O's guy and his players loved him..

Might even great a real GM at that time..

Magnificent Seven
08-26-2008, 02:47 PM
do not see any existing Head coaches coming here.. would have to pay to much to do so..

I could see Cowher though.. Seems to be a good X and O's guy and his players loved him..

Cowher is retired.

Lonestar
08-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Cowher is retired.

So? Does that means he can't unretire? He wanted a few years off to spend with his kids and family..

Nothing but death is forever..

Magnificent Seven
08-26-2008, 03:16 PM
So? Does that means he can't unretire? He wanted a few years off to spend with his kids and family..

Nothing but death is forever..

I doubt. He has a big heart for Pittsburgh.

Stargazer
08-26-2008, 03:18 PM

If Cowher returns, which I think will be next year, I think Shanny will still be the Broncos coach by then.

Woudln't shock me if a team throws a ton of money at him after this season. Like $7 million+ per year for his services. Talk about a damn good coach who's not in the league right now.

Lonestar
08-26-2008, 03:20 PM
I doubt. He has a big heart for Pittsburgh.

and they have a great young coach there now.. He will not go back there IMO..

Lonestar
08-26-2008, 03:22 PM
If Cowher returns, which I think will be next year, I think Shanny will still be the Broncos coach by then.

Woudln't shock me if a team throws a ton of money at him after this season. Like $7 million+ per year for his services. Talk about a damn good coach who's not in the league right now.

Mikey has got to be getting tired of it he is rich beyond reason.. I see no reason for him to want to keep up the rigors of being HC in the NFL after the next couple of years..

I think a couple more years and he is gone either back to college.. or retire..

Kaylore
08-26-2008, 05:05 PM
John Gruden: Strong offensive mind, hates Al Davis, owns a Super Bowl ring. Meets all the necessary criteria.

Rick
08-26-2008, 05:33 PM
In a word: Me.

I have sent in my resume(kinda blank) and I expect word back anyday now.

PatricktheDookie
08-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Kubiak won't be going anywhere. He went to school in Texas and is firmly entrenched in his position in Houston. He's built a staff and organization that he trusts. Why would he want to leave all that to go back under Shanahan's shadow?

Lonestar
08-26-2008, 07:39 PM
John Gruden: Strong offensive mind, hates Al Davis, owns a Super Bowl ring. Meets all the necessary criteria.

A great choice, but he would cost to much to make the switch.. TPA gave up a bunch of draft choices to get him..

Therefore not going to happen..

Besides he has it made in TPA great weather, good owners. He gets to play in a weak ass conference..

Why would he want to come back to the AFC where you have to have a 10-6 12-4 record to win your division.

I repeat not going to happen.

Broncospsycho77
08-26-2008, 07:50 PM
So wait, nobody wants Dennis Green?

Kaylore
08-27-2008, 01:23 AM
A great choice, but he would cost to much to make the switch.. TPA gave up a bunch of draft choices to get him..

You can no longer trade draft picks for coaches. That said, they probably won't release him either, but this thread is mostly mental masturbation so I think my choice was a fine one.

BroncoTech
08-27-2008, 01:30 AM
I think Kyle Shanahan will draft Jack Elway Jr and lead us to many super bowls.

Magnificent Seven
08-27-2008, 01:35 AM
and they have a great young coach there now.. He will not go back there IMO..

I like Steelers' coach Mike Tomlin. He looks humble and cool.

tripleoption
08-27-2008, 07:18 AM
Dream, WTM and Triple Option.

Hey Dream, wanna run the defense? :D

WhatEver!!!
08-27-2008, 07:55 PM
I can not believe no one mentioned the one and only John Elway!!!

Just kidding -- If, I mean, IF Shanny leaves it will be 10 years down the road after a couple more Rings and a 21- 0 season...

I do not believe we even know who that person is; he can be a line coach today or an assistant offensive coordinator. Someone we never heard of. All the other head coaches will be nearing retirement or already retired. Only a few head coaches from today will still be around.

Go ahead a kill me for saying 21-0 but there is an article stating they may change the schedule to a 18 game season with 2 preseason games.

dogfish
08-27-2008, 10:50 PM
all you guys acting like it's written in stone that he'll be here indefinitely must be a little disconneted from the real world. . . i mean, i EXPECT him to be, but you never know. . . life has a way of intervening at inconvenient moments. . . of course i wish mike nothing but the best, but there's no way of predicting when something can change a guy's mind-- lose a sibling or child, find out your wife's got breast cancer. . . there are all sorts of nasty surprises that can make work seem pretty trivial, particularly to a man who isn't young any more, has already reached the pinnacle of his profession, and has more than enough money to live the rest of his life in royal style. . . with that said, i do think he'll be around for a good while yet, barring anything unforseen or tragic. . . but WTH, it's kind of an interesting topic. . .

if we're talking right now, i think rick dennison is the most likely choice, as much as i hate to say it. . . i think there's a good chance bowlen would want to "keep it in the family," so to speak, and dennison's been here for a while. . . i'd rather have steve spagnulo (sp?), the giants' defensive coordinator, but IMO if bowlen had to hire a new coach he'd probably want another quality offensive mind, a young guy that can take over and settle in for another long stretch. . . just guessing of course, but i think he might take a chance on someone like that rather than an older, more proven guy. . . lane kiffin would make sense, and he could certainly make a run at jason garrett and see just how much jerry jones is willing to pay an assistant, or if he'd really fire wade (not saying we'd get garrett, because i don't think we would, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't try). . .

another guy that might get a look is patriots OC josh mcdaniels. . .

if we're talking down the road a bit, kyle shenanigans is obviously an interesting possibility. . . another guy that i expect to get some attention in the next few years is steeler's OC bruce arians. . . . and a darkhorse candidate. . . karl dorrell-- he's a young guy on the offensive side of things, and he has both the denver connection and some head coaching experience at a major college program. . .

Magnificent Seven
08-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Head Coach: John Elway
Offense Coordinator: Kyle Shanahan
Broncos Quarterback: Jack Elway

:D:beer::deal:

slim
08-27-2008, 11:00 PM

I disagree....by the time Shanny is ready to retire, Kubes will be starting his 10th year with the Texans (maybe, just a guess).

Who knows what will happen between now and then. Don't forget how many years Kubes spent in Denver....

I guess I always thought Kubes would inherit the throne. Hell, he should inherit the throne….who else could it be?

dogfish
08-27-2008, 11:12 PM
I disagree....by the time Shanny is ready to retire, Kubes will be starting his 10th year with the Texans (maybe, just a guess).

Who knows what will happen between now and then. Don't forget how many years Kubes spent in Denver....

I guess I always thought Kubes would inherit the throne. Hell, he should inherit the throne….who else could it be?

shanhan's gonna have to hold out quite a while if we're going to lure kubes away from houston. . . gary's a damn smart dude-- WAY too smart to leave a team that has building blocks like andre johnson, mario williams, amobi okoye, demeco ryans and dunta robinson! if those guys are old, maybe, but i can't see him developing them and then leaving when they're in their prime. . . and i'm sure he probably feels a lot of loyalty to the owner who finally gave him his chance as a head coach. . .

slim
08-27-2008, 11:19 PM
shanhan's gonna have to hold out quite a while if we're going to lure kubes away from houston. . . gary's a damn smart dude-- WAY too smart to leave a team that has building blocks like andre johnson, mario williams, amobi okoye, demeco ryans and dunta robinson! if those guys are old, maybe, but i can't see him developing them and then leaving when they're in their prime. . . and i'm sure he probably feels a lot of loyalty to the owner who finally gave him his chance as a head coach. . .

Like I said...8 years down the road.

Alot can happen in 8 years.

omac
08-28-2008, 06:58 AM
Like I said...8 years down the road.

Alot can happen in 8 years.

Yup, 8 straight superbowls for the Broncos! :beer: