PDA

View Full Version : Broncos now = CU last year

TimBuff10
11-30-2010, 01:57 AM
I know there are alot of Buffs fans out there that just went through this and I have to say, the rest of this season and next year (if there is a season) is going to be rough!

The Buffs needed to get rid of Dan Hawkins last year but could not because of the economic situation. They had the donors lined up and ready to buy out Dan Hawkin's contract but at the last minute the Pres of the school stepped in and nixed the firing. He knew that when he needed money from the state they were going to tell him to go get it from the same place he got the money to buy out the football coach. Finally this year after the election they were able to make the move as the buyout was low enough and a firing would not be as much of a political football as it previously was...

Now we have the Broncos... PB is paying Shanahan for this season and next. Then you also have McD's salary on top of that. You can bet that PB is not going to be paying three coaches next year, so just like CU did last year, they are backed into a corner and the only real option is to stick with McD for the rest of this season and hope that next year McD can do something than totally stink up the place like he is currently doing. After next year they will be able to pull the trigger but I just don't see any way that they do it until there are at least 8 losses next season.

In short, take it from someone who just went through this whole thing... It is going to be a rough 10-13 months ahead for every Broncos fan out there! The best you can do is hope the Broncos don't win another game this year and at least get a good draft pick. Sucks to root against your team but losing badly is really the only way out of this thing.

OrangeHoof
11-30-2010, 02:19 AM
This would be true if McDaniels were making critical personnel decisions based on nepotism instead of talent. Oh, wait.

Buff
11-30-2010, 02:37 AM
First of all, I wanted Hawkins gone after year #3, and was horrified when they kept him after year #4, but I never rooted against the Buffs even though I wanted him to be fired pretty badly.

Anyway, I think Josh McDaniels is a good football coach with poor management skills whereas Dan Hawkins is a good manager with no football skills. I am not ready to call for McD's job yet because I think his football acumen can ultimately trump his missteps off the field.

That said, the overwhelming negative outcry from fans is very similar. That's what would have me genuinely concerned if I were McD. With Hawkins, it got to the point by year #5 where I don't think there was a single person outside of his family who felt like he deserved to keep his job.

But the difference is that Hawkins got five years on the job. It seems awfully premature to already be running McD out of town like this, but if he continues to lose and draw negative headlines - all on the heels of Shanahan's hall of fame coaching run - then the bloodthirsty fans are going to get their way.

TimBuff10
11-30-2010, 02:40 AM
Right now for McD perfectly corresponds to Hawkins losing the Toledo game last year. Although one could argue that the 59 pt Raider game could fit there too.

Lancane
11-30-2010, 02:50 AM
First of all, I wanted Hawkins gone after year #3, and was horrified when they kept him after year #4, but I never rooted against the Buffs even though I wanted him to be fired pretty badly.

Anyway, I think Josh McDaniels is a good football coach with poor management skills whereas Dan Hawkins is a good manager with no football skills. I am not ready to call for McD's job yet because I think his football acumen can ultimately trump his missteps off the field.

That said, the overwhelming negative outcry from fans is very similar. That's what would have me genuinely concerned if I were McD. With Hawkins, it got to the point by year #5 where I don't think there was a single person outside of his family who felt like he deserved to keep his job.

But the difference is that Hawkins got five years on the job. It seems awfully premature to already be running McD out of town like this, but if he continues to lose and draw negative headlines - all on the heels of Shanahan's hall of fame coaching run - then the bloodthirsty fans are going to get their way.

You know, I asked this earlier of one of McDaniels supporters...but can anyone show me a coach in the national football league that has stunk this bad within two seasons to be given a third year and has gone on to be successful with that same said team? Anyone would do? Because I disagree that three years is needed to get the job done, but obviously others disagree, but is that based of collegiate football, where they have no free agency to equate nor drafts to accumulate talent?

Just name one coach in the modern era who has and it could go a long way with me and my stance on this.

Buff
11-30-2010, 03:06 AM
You know, I asked this earlier of one of McDaniels supporters...but can anyone show me a coach in the national football league that has stunk this bad within two seasons to be given a third year and has gone on to be successful with that same said team? Anyone would do? Because I disagree that three years is needed to get the job done, but obviously others disagree, but is that based of collegiate football, where they have no free agency to equate nor drafts to accumulate talent?

Just name one coach in the modern era who has and it could go a long way with me and my stance on this.

It's a valid question and speaks to just how bad the drop off has been since the 6-0 start last year... No coaches immediately come to mind. Holmgren went 9-7 and then 6-10 his second year in Seattle and went on to have some success, but obvioulsy he had a little bit more of a track record bringing a super bowl ring as a HC to the table.

Lancane
11-30-2010, 04:04 AM
It's a valid question and speaks to just how bad the drop off has been since the 6-0 start last year... No coaches immediately come to mind. Holmgren went 9-7 and then 6-10 his second year in Seattle and went on to have some success, but obvioulsy he had a little bit more of a track record bringing a super bowl ring as a HC to the table.

That's my point...I continually hear from his supporters that it takes three years, but where in the hell did that number come from? Like I stated, it's understandable at the collegiate level, a new coach comes in and has to implement his system and philosophy, then go out and try and recruit talent, and honestly it's hard when you do that in college football, because the prospects want to go to a school with a coach that has some respectability. Again, there is no draft or free agency, so he has to establish himself and put together a team with what he can...and it takes time in that case.

But this is the pro's were talking about, and if you look at the current head coaches in the NFL, most of them showed promise in their second seasons. Wisenhut in Arizona went 8-8 and went on two win their division back to back the following two seasons. Mike Smith in Atlanta has been stellar, same with Harbaugh in Baltimore. Chan Gailey is in the same boat as McDaniels is. Fox in Carolina went from 7-9 to going to a Super Bowl in just his second season, pretty much the same thing that Belichick did. Smith in Chicago went from 5-11 to 11-5 his second, winning his first division title and they took the division the next year as well. Marvin Lewis his first and second season were 8-8, then went 11-5, but he can't stay consistent. Mangini went 5-11 in Cleveland and are so far 4-7 and is on the hot-seat. Shwartz in Detroit is having a tough time of it in Detroit, so he's on par with Mangini and McDaniels. McCarthy in Green Bay has in five seasons only finished once below .500 and proving to be solid. Caldwell in Indianapolis has done real well, same with Payton in New Orleans. And the list goes on... I think people get the point. Out of all the current head coaches, the only one to have three seasons to prove himself has been Singletary in San Fran, and still they're not better. Look at Hale and Cable in our own division!

So, the three year plan is utter horse crap, and it doesn't take three years to prove yourself. He's had his chance IMHO.