PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp/Preseason Cuts

Tebow4Ever
08-25-2008, 01:26 PM
I thought Cuts would have been announced by now..:::Sigh::: Im anxious!

BroncoJoe
08-25-2008, 01:28 PM
I think the deadline is tomorrow.

silkamilkamonico
08-25-2008, 01:41 PM
I think the deadline is tomorrow.

They are. We'll probably find out sometime tomorrow evening when they go through the NFL wire.

Buff
08-25-2008, 01:50 PM
They are. We'll probably find out sometime tomorrow evening when they go through the NFL wire.

Normally they let the players know a day or two ahead of time and word starts leaking out... I wouldn't be surprised if we have the names later tonight.

Magnificent Seven
08-25-2008, 02:10 PM
I thought Cuts would have been announced by now..:::Sigh::: Im anxious!

I hope they cut Patrick Ramsey. :D

shank
08-25-2008, 02:58 PM
i just got a text saying sammie parker is gone along with 2 others, haven't checked it out yet though

EDIT: ooh, josh mallard and lorne sam also

Stargazer
08-25-2008, 03:08 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10299103

The Broncos cut three players Monday: wide receivers Samie Parker, Lorne Sam and defensive tackle Josh Mallard.

Parker, Sam and Mallard were not with the team for Monday's afternoon practice. Mallard's agent, John Pace, confirmed that Mallard has been cut.

The Broncos' roster was at 79 before those moves, and must down to 75 by 2 p.m. Tuesday. The team will cut to its 53-man roster on Saturday, after the final preseason game Friday at Arizona.

Parker started 31 games in his four seasons in Kansas City but caught only one pass this preseason for the Broncos. Sam was an undrafted rookie from Texas-El Paso.

Mallard, entering his fifth season, signed with Denver as a free agent last November and played in eight games. His 3.5 sacks were third-most for the Broncos.

drewloc
08-25-2008, 03:15 PM
From the Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10299103

Broncos make first three cuts
By Lindsay Jones
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 08/25/2008 01:51:41 PM MDT

The Broncos cut three players Monday: wide receivers Samie Parker, Lorne Sam and defensive tackle Josh Mallard.

Parker, Sam and Mallard were not with the team for Monday's afternoon practice. Mallard's agent, John Pace, confirmed that Mallard has been cut.

The Broncos' roster was at 79 before those moves, and must down to 75 by 2 p.m. Tuesday. The team will cut to its 53-man roster on Saturday, after the final preseason game Friday at Arizona.

Parker started 31 games in his four seasons in Kansas City but caught only one pass this preseason for the Broncos. Sam was an undrafted rookie from Texas-El Paso.

Mallard, entering his fifth season, signed with Denver as a free agent last November and played in eight games. His 3.5 sacks were third-most for the Broncos.

honz
08-25-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm surprised Mallard was cut today. I wouldn't have been surprised if he didn't make the final cut, but I didn't see it coming today.

yardog
08-25-2008, 03:26 PM
:tsk:

Josh Mallard

Ziggy
08-25-2008, 03:28 PM
the mallard cut is the one that surprises me

hamrob
08-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Mallard and Parker will probably be picked up...(IMO).

Also, Sam might have a shot at our practice squad...provided he exibited some talent during the two-a-day practices.

underrated29
08-25-2008, 03:51 PM
You know the raiders will go after parker.

I am surprised about mallard too. HIm and jamie winborn i really liked as underdogs. (hopefully winborn stays.) i think he will.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-25-2008, 04:22 PM
eh...

Requiem / The Dagda
08-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Awesome!

haroldthebarrel
08-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Awesome!

hahaha..... somebody just lost their daily bread and you are shouting awesome.... I literally laughed out loud... hahaha

Kaylore
08-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Awesome we don't have to have Sammie Parker on our team! That is very awesome!

SmilinAssasSin27
08-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Although I would never wish unemployment on anyone, I think w/ their free colle educations and at least league minimum salaries the past couple of years...they'll find a way to land on their feet.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Awesome we don't have to have Sammie Parker on our team! That is very awesome!

But Nate Jackson still stands firm. *faints*

shank
08-25-2008, 05:22 PM
But Nate Jackson still stands firm. *faints*

whatever, he has looked good you hater.

Grover
08-25-2008, 06:00 PM
What's the difference between being released (Parker) and being waived (Mallard and Sam). That terminology was used in the denverbroncos.com story

Simple Jaded
08-25-2008, 07:36 PM
the mallard cut is the one that surprises me

Josh Mallard is a surprise to me too, but I have a feeling that there are going be quite a few surprise cuts this season......and I think it's because the GM is feeling the heat......

WARHORSE
08-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Did they cut the cord yet?

slim
08-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Wow, I liked Mallard (the player, not the duck. Although I do like roast duck, too). I am shocked that he was cut.

Scarface
08-25-2008, 11:27 PM
Nothing to be surprised at, imo.

DenBronx
08-26-2008, 12:32 AM
looks like powell is officially going on pup. so that leaves only 1 more before tomorrow afternoon. im going to say pittman gets axed. usually you want to cut the older vets first just to give them time to sign with another team.

shank
08-26-2008, 12:40 AM
yeah, i kinda can't wait for the pittman cut to happen, i think he adds nothing to our team.

i'm still rooting for paul carrington to make the team!!

broncobryce
08-26-2008, 12:44 AM
I thought waived meant they could claim them on practice squad. Mallard played decent I thought last season, though I heard nothing on him in camp.

broncobryce
08-26-2008, 12:46 AM
And me being in Idaho, haven't seen any preseason games. No suprises though. With like 20 cuts coming, I EXPECT to be suprised somewhat.

red98
08-26-2008, 01:01 AM
What's the difference between being released (Parker) and being waived (Mallard and Sam). That terminology was used in the denverbroncos.com story

released = not subject to waiver wire. can sign anywhere.

waived = subject to waiver wire, if clears waivers can sign anywhere.

Note: terms are often used interchangeably by media without regard for the technical difference between them.

Tebow4Ever
08-27-2008, 12:58 PM
With final cuts coming up here pretty soon I was curious to see what you all think of those that may leave. IMHO I think it would be Marquay McDaniel.Edell Shepard, and Cliff Russell. I doubt any of these guys get sent to the PS. That would leave us with Marshall,Jackson,Royal,Stokely,and Martinez...

DenBronx
08-27-2008, 01:01 PM
russell will get cut. colbert is being beat out by glen freakin martinez, so its possible after the 2nd game of the season that we cut colbert and resign russell. rod smith is real high on russell so he must see something good in practices and camp that we dont get to see.

Tebow4Ever
08-27-2008, 01:13 PM
russell will go to practice squad. colbert is being beat out by glen freakin martinez, so its possible after the 2nd game of the season that we cut colbert and resign russell. rod smith is real high on russell so he must see something good in practices and camp that we dont get to see.

the only thing about russell i dont like is that he doesnt have very much game experience. He's going into his 9th year according to NFL.Com and he has a total of FIVE receptions, playing for various teams..and ZERO td's. I have seen him have some nice play this preseason. But will he really be able to outshine Colbert? Colbert has had steady playing time with Carolina...Thats in his favor.

topscribe
08-27-2008, 01:25 PM
What Martinez has going for him is special teams. Whether that is enough to
keep him over Colbert, the latter who I believe is a better receiver, remains
to be seen. Standing in Colbert's way there is D-Jack, who is among four
good WRs already.

-----

Kaylore
08-27-2008, 01:41 PM
good WRs already.

-----

The problem is Colbert has been outplayed by Martinez in camp and in games Colbert has had some big drops.

topscribe
08-27-2008, 01:47 PM
The problem is Colbert has been outplayed by Martinez in camp and in games Colbert has had some big drops.

I noticed that, regarding the games. I have to depend on members such as
you, who attended camp, for the other, so it would seem Martinez may have
the upper hand for now.

Bottom line is that there is a huge dropoff after the top four, or it would seem.

-----

honz
08-27-2008, 01:49 PM
I'd rather have Russell over both Martinez and Colbert. My only concern with Russell is his drops in the preseason, but I don't remember him having the dropsies when he played for Utah in college...although that was quite a while ago now.

GEM
08-27-2008, 01:53 PM
good WRs already.

-----

The super sad thing about that is Martinez isn't all that great on ST.

topscribe
08-27-2008, 02:09 PM
It's just a good thing Fast Eddie has turned out to be the WR he is.

Otherwise, we would have had all of three who are worth a hoot.

-----

Tebow4Ever
08-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Eddie Royal gives us a SOLID slot reciever..At this point, with our top 4 recievers. I believe we have one of the best well rounded WR groups in the NFL.

Lonestar
08-27-2008, 02:29 PM
I noticed that, regarding the games. I have to depend on members such as
you, who attended camp, for the other, so it would seem Martinez may have
the upper hand for now.

Bottom line is that there is a huge dropoff after the top four, or it would seem.

-----

but beyond Marshall last year we had nothing so that huge drop off is world better than last year.. all better than martinez..

topscribe
08-27-2008, 02:59 PM
but beyond Marshall last year we had nothing so that huge drop off is world better than last year.. all better than martinez..

Well, beyond Marshall and Stokley, except when Stokley was hurt, of course.

-----

DenBronx
08-27-2008, 03:02 PM
The super sad thing about that is Martinez isn't all that great on ST.

yeah, he blows as a returner. good thing royal is listed as starting pr AND kr.

isnt colbert on special teams??? if so that alone might make it harder to cut him.

EDIT: and in my prior post i thought russell was a rookie, so i was thinking ps for him. but damn, a 6 year vet and 2 catches??? not sure this guy will stay a bronco for long.

Tebow4Ever
08-27-2008, 03:04 PM
yeah, he blows as a returner. good thing royal is listed as starting pr AND kr.

isnt colbert on special teams??? if so that alone might make it harder to cut him.

EDIT: and in my prior post i thought russell was a rookie, so i was thinking ps for him. but damn, a 6 year vet and 2 catches??? not sure this guy will stay a bronco for long.

He has 5 catches going into his 9th year this year.

DenBronx
08-27-2008, 03:10 PM
He has 5 catches going into his 9th year this year.

nfl.com says he has 6 years experience.

http://www.nfl.com/players/cliffrussell/profile?id=RUS425034

Cliff Russell | #10 | WR

Denver Broncos | Official Team Site

Height: 5-11 Weight: 195 Age: 29

Born: 2/8/1979 Ewa Beach , HI

College: Utah

Experience: 6th season

Career Stats more
Season Team Receiving Rushing Fumbles
G GS Rec Yds Avg Lng TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
2006 Miami Dolphins 3 0 2 14 7.0 9 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2005 Miami Dolphins 2 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2004 Cincinnati Bengals 13 1 1 21 21.0 21 0 3 15 5.0 13 0 2 0
2003 Washington Redskins 3 0 2 10 5.0 7 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2002 Washington Redskins 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
TOTAL 5 45 9.0 21 0 3 15 5.0 13 0 2 0

Tebow4Ever
08-27-2008, 03:18 PM
nfl.com says he has 6 years experience.

http://www.nfl.com/players/cliffrussell/profile?id=RUS425034

Cliff Russell | #10 | WR

Denver Broncos | Official Team Site

Height: 5-11 Weight: 195 Age: 29

Born: 2/8/1979 Ewa Beach , HI

College: Utah

Experience: 6th season

Career Stats more
Season Team Receiving Rushing Fumbles
G GS Rec Yds Avg Lng TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
2006 Miami Dolphins 3 0 2 14 7.0 9 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2005 Miami Dolphins 2 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2004 Cincinnati Bengals 13 1 1 21 21.0 21 0 3 15 5.0 13 0 2 0
2003 Washington Redskins 3 0 2 10 5.0 7 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2002 Washington Redskins 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
TOTAL 5 45 9.0 21 0 3 15 5.0 13 0 2 0

Absolutely, My apologies.

DenBronx
08-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Absolutely, My apologies.

no problem!

i just dont see how russell is going to make any impact on this team. friday night is going to be huge for guys on the bubble. i think were going to see some good football from our backups.

Lonestar
08-27-2008, 03:27 PM
I thought russell looked pretty good for a rookie.. I think he is toast.. AGAIN

underrated29
08-27-2008, 03:29 PM
I will be the lone duck here.

I dont like russell or martinez. I would much rather kolbert here than any of them. And i think thats going to be the case. Kolbert is the youngest out of all of them. And we are paying him the most money.

Kolbert is not cut, he will stay. Even though he has done relatively nothing i still like his play more than the other guys.

Also If anyone noticed he did get some reps in the greenbay game with the first teamers. However from the times i remember they were running plays.

(blocking ability anyone?)

russel and martinez are george washington.

Ziggy
08-27-2008, 03:34 PM
I will be the lone duck here.

I dont like russell or martinez. I would much rather kolbert here than any of them. And i think thats going to be the case. Kolbert is the youngest out of all of them. And we are paying him the most money.

Kolbert is not cut, he will stay. Even though he has done relatively nothing i still like his play more than the other guys.

Also If anyone noticed he did get some reps in the greenbay game with the first teamers. However from the times i remember they were running plays.

(blocking ability anyone?)

russel and martinez are george washington.

Colbert is the best blocker of the backup receivers, so that might just land him on the team. I think it's 50/50 at this point.

topscribe
08-27-2008, 04:11 PM
I thought russell looked pretty good for a rookie.. I think he is toast.. AGAIN

Yes, Russell looked pretty good for a rookie. Too bad he's a five-year vet. :laugh:

-----

Lonestar
08-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Yes, Russell looked pretty good for a rookie. Too bad he's a five-year vet. :laugh:

-----

honestly I thought he was rookie.. until I read it here today..

I thought he looked damned good and was surprised to see him not getting more playing time..

Now I know WHY.. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

DenBronx
08-28-2008, 01:30 AM
looks like colbert is as good as gone...also marshall will know if his appeal to get a reduced suspension worked in the next couple of days.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-2-388/Broncos-news-and-notes.html

Broncos news and notes

August 27, 2008 6:40 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

Englewood, Co. -- I stopped by the Broncos facility today. Here are some observations and notes:

It appears the Denver starters will not play Friday in the final preseson game. A few players mentioned that it will likely be a night for the backups to shine Friday in Arizona. This is no surprise. Mike Shanahan usually gives nearly all of his starters the final game off. Next up for the Denver starters is opening night Sept. 8 at Oakland on Monday Night Football.
Star receiver Brandon Marshall was back at the facility Wednesday after spending Tuesday in New York making his appeal to cut down his three-game NFL suspension. He should find out the result of his appeal in the coming days.
Left cornerback Champ Bailey was raving about third-year quarterback Jay Cutler: "You should see the things he's doing on the field. I can't say how much he has improved from this time last season."
There is chatter that free agent pickup Keary Colbert is on the bubble to make the 53-man roster Saturday. Colbert hasn't been great in the preseason and in training camp. Yet, he was signed to be the No. 2 receiver in the spring. Yet, several weeks later, Denver drafted Eddie Royal from Virginia Tech in the second round and Royal has burst onto the scene. He is now the No. 2 receiver. Veteran Brandon Stokley is entrenched as the No. 3 receiver and Darrell Jackson is the No. 4 receiver. Glenn Martinez has a chance to stick as a returner. The team drafted Royal to be a return man as a rookie but with him now the No. 2 receiver, Martinez may be needed. So, yes, it seems Colbert could be fighting for a roster spot.
Cornerback Domonique Foxworth weighed in on the topic of cutting down the preseason by a couple of games: "I don't see it. The owners make a lot of money off the preseason. I think it would be a tough sell to the owners but not to the players."

BCJ
08-28-2008, 03:06 AM
I'd rather have Russell over both Martinez and Colbert. My only concern with Russell is his drops in the preseason, but I don't remember him having the dropsies when he played for Utah in college...although that was quite a while ago now.

Yeah, long ago that Mike Anderson was a 26 year old freshman when he was ready to leave for the nfl. In fact, Utah, the college, was called the College of the Territory of Utah (Elvis Chapter of course).