PDA

View Full Version : Bowlen Issues Statement, No Vote of Confidence

Buff
11-30-2010, 12:22 AM
Broncos' Bowlen waiting to see season results before making decision on McDaniels' future
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Posted: 11/29/2010 09:49:42 PM MST
Updated: 11/29/2010 10:15:34 PM MST

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen: "This has been a very trying and disappointing season for all of us." With his coach Josh McDaniels embroiled in a video controversy and his team enduring one of the worst seasons in his 27 seasons as Broncos owner, Pat Bowlen decided to end his silence tonight.

Bowlen said he would wait until after this season is completed before making a decision on McDaniels' future.

"This has been a very trying and disappointing season for all of us," Bowlen said in a written statement. "We haven't had the success we had hoped to achieve. Josh McDaniels is the head coach of the Broncos, and you always strive for stability at that position. However, with five games left in the 2010 season, we will continue to monitor the progress of the team and evaluate what's in the best interest of this franchise."

Read more: Broncos' Bowlen waiting to see season results before making decision on McDaniels' future - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/ci_16738529#ixzz16jx6YgMh

Probably not a good sign if you're Josh McDaniels that Bowlen felt the need to essentially rescind his vote of confidence two hours after the Fanhouse interview came out.

BeefStew25
11-30-2010, 12:26 AM
So wait. Mc5-16 bought 13 acres in Montucky?

Northman
11-30-2010, 12:29 AM
This shit is getting comical. I dont think the members of this board can keep up with the different stories that get printed because Denver cant make up its mind no any given topic regarding the team. lmao

scott.475
11-30-2010, 12:30 AM
So wait. Mc5-16 bought 13 acres in Montucky?

...down by the river!

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/pilsn002/architecture/farley-1.jpg

scott.475
11-30-2010, 12:32 AM
I'm actually really glad Pat said something finally. Now at least we all know for sure nothing will happen until season's end.

Northman
11-30-2010, 12:34 AM
I think it would be good too. Maybe it will finally light a fire under that douchebags ass to start getting some results.

BroncoBJ
11-30-2010, 12:37 AM
:lol:

I think maybe he just doesn't want to make it seem set in stone that McDaniels will be the coach next year, incase we tank even worse over the next 5 games. Wants McD to still coach for his job maybe. Who knows.

Always drama with this team. :elefant:

robert ethan
11-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Well, obviously Pat has to keep the carrot out there to keep Josh and the team motivated. Even Presidents can have their four year contract terminated early if they screw up badly enough. From Bowlen's comments earlier you can sense that he is aware of the treachery within the coaching staff and is giving Josh the opportunity to exorcise it on his own time frame. He did say he would step in and do it himself if necessary. Pat is probably bound by the confidentiality agreement concerning the source of the damaging information, and can't tell McDaniels directly who to watch out for.

Dreadnought
11-30-2010, 12:41 AM
I think it would be good too. Maybe it will finally light a fire under that douchebags ass to start getting some results.

Horse. Barn door. Left open. Its long past lighting a fire under his ass. So much damage has been done I don't think "getting some results" is even an option anymore.

BeefStew25
11-30-2010, 12:42 AM
Well, obviously Pat has to keep the carrot out there to keep Josh and the team motivated. Even Presidents can have their four year contract terminated early if they screw up badly enough. From Bowlen's comments earlier you can sense that he is aware of the treachery within the coaching staff and is giving Josh the opportunity to exorcise it on his own time frame. He did say he would step in and do it himself if necessary. Pat is probably bound by the confidentiality agreement concerning the source of the damaging information, and can't tell McDaniels directly who to watch out for.

Hey Xanders. How is your TI-82?

Tned
11-30-2010, 12:45 AM

I read a Tony Robbins book once where he talked about using funny words in place of angry words, in order to reprogam one self.

so we could right that as "Maybe it will finally light a fire under that tiddlywinks hydrangea to start getting some results."

See you can't say it that way and be angry... ;)

Lancane
11-30-2010, 12:45 AM

Who to watch out for...lol. It's a conspiracy theory in the making, Bowlen wouldn't likely tell him even if he could, I'd bet money that it was either Burns or Donatell that told Ellis and Bowlen, both have strong ties to the owner and the organization itself.

On a side note, don't be surprised if it turns out that the Fanhouse interview was actually with Ellis disguising himself as Bowlen!

:lol:

robert ethan
11-30-2010, 12:46 AM
Hey Xanders. How is your TI-82? I suppose I should feel flattered, I've been identified as Brian Xanders, both McDaniels brothers, and all of their agents so far. Makes you wonder how I manage to find so much time to waste on an internet chatboard.
:cool:

Northman
11-30-2010, 12:47 AM
I read a Tony Robbins book once where he talked about using funny words in place of angry words, in order to reprogam one self.

so we could right that as "Maybe it will finally light a fire under that tiddlywinks hydrangea to start getting some results."

See you can't say it that way and be angry... ;)

Dont think im not on to you. Your not going to pull that jedi mind trick shit with me. :D

Lancane
11-30-2010, 12:48 AM
I suppose I should feel flattered, I've been identified as Brian Xanders, both McDaniels brothers, and all of their agents so far. Makes you wonder how I manage to find so much time to waste on an internet chatboard.
:cool:

Because when you don't know your job, you have a lot of time on your hands! :D

Buff
11-30-2010, 12:52 AM
If Josh does get fired, we ought to give that young offensive coordinator from the Redskins a look.

robert ethan
11-30-2010, 12:53 AM
Because when you don't know your job, you have a lot of time on your hands! :D

:D...:rolleyes:

Northman
11-30-2010, 12:53 AM
Screw it, since he is just hiring anybody let me do it. Certainly cant be anyworse than the guy we have now.

Bosco
11-30-2010, 12:54 AM

I agree. He probably realized it was a bad move, even if he being honest, to say that Josh will be back in 2011. Taking a neutral position is smarter from a management perspective.

Lancane
11-30-2010, 12:55 AM
If Josh does get fired, we ought to give that young offensive coordinator from the Redskins a look.

You just had to open up that wound didn't you? :lol:

Bosco
11-30-2010, 01:01 AM
You just had to open up that wound didn't you? :lol:

Seriously, I can't wait for the "hire Kyle Shanahan" threads. I know it's coming.

Cugel
11-30-2010, 01:02 AM
Some reality points:

1. Obviously Bowlen does NOT want to fire McDaniels. That means admitting he made a HUGE ERROR IN JUDGMENT in hiring this disaster in the first place!

2. The cheating scandal now is just beginning a slow motion train-wreck. It now appears that McDaniels tried to cover everything up and reports are he threatened Broncos staffers that he would FIRE them if they squealed. Well, they squealed anyway. Now this is the the biggest story in the NFL and the national media is going to be going after this one with hammer and tongs, inflaming passions and embarrassing the league. If those reports turn out to be true, then McDaniels might not even get an assistants' job next season.

3. Given all this, Bowlen wants to issue a statement that will take the pressure off McDaniels and at least give him a chance to finish out the season and see what he can do to turn things around without an endless firestorm "Is McDaniels getting fired after this loss? How about now? Not yet? Next week?" So he gives him a "vote of confidence."

4. Unfortunately, Bowlen screwed up and made it too strong. He made it sound like he'd made up his mind to re-hire McDaniels for next year. The fans are going ballistic. The universal reaction around the league is "you've got to be kidding!" So, Bowlen walks the statement back.

Now it's "We'll see after the season." Which is really what it was all along. There was an argument to be made for firing McDaniels NOW like Dallas did with Wade Phillips, but Bowlen wants to give him as much of a chance as he can.

5. Unless things turn around there by the end of the season, there is just NO WAY Bowlen can keep McDaniels for another year without igniting a total fan revolt! Things are just out of control with the fans and he's going to face a massive problem. Things have NEVER been that ugly in Broncoland. Ticket holders will just ditch their tickets in unheard of numbers.

Bowlen will be feeling unbelievable pressure from season ticket holders screaming at him to fire the coach. He'll have real trouble selling those corporate box seats. (Do you really want to take your corporate clients to a Broncos game right now)?

Bowlen's trying his best at damage control but he's not going to be able to stop this runaway train-wreck. His hand is going to be forced by events unless McDaniels turns the team around and starts winning games (and more than just 1 or 2 he needs to win at least 3 out of five).

Even 3 wins means a 6-10 season, which is horrible and a top 10 draft pick. But, at least it's SOME sign of hope. Personally, I'd fire McDaniels right now. But, Bowlen might be able to keep him if he goes 6-10. Possibly even 5-11 (although he's going to face massive and sustained outrage from all sides).

But 3-13 or 4-12? (And you know they're going to be massively blown out in San Diego and possibly even Kansas City where they always lose anyway) which means they might possibly finish 1-5 in the division -- possibly the worst division record in team history and the worst record overall since the early 60's.

Just no way Bowlen can keep him the way this season is getting worse and worse every week. :coffee:

robert ethan
11-30-2010, 01:05 AM
Ahh...the delicate and exquisite touch of the cudgel.

Northman
11-30-2010, 01:10 AM
Some reality points:

1. Obviously Bowlen does NOT want to fire McDaniels. That means admitting he made a HUGE ERROR IN JUDGMENT in hiring this disaster in the first place!

2. The cheating scandal now is just beginning a slow motion train-wreck. It now appears that McDaniels tried to cover everything up and reports are he threatened Broncos staffers that he would FIRE them if they squealed. Well, they squealed anyway. Now this is the the biggest story in the NFL and the national media is going to be going after this one with hammer and tongs, inflaming passions and embarrassing the league. If those reports turn out to be true, then McDaniels might not even get an assistants' job next season.

3. Given all this, Bowlen wants to issue a statement that will take the pressure off McDaniels and at least give him a chance to finish out the season and see what he can do to turn things around without an endless firestorm "Is McDaniels getting fired after this loss? How about now? Not yet? Next week?" So he gives him a "vote of confidence."

4. Unfortunately, Bowlen screwed up and made it too strong. He made it sound like he'd made up his mind to re-hire McDaniels for next year. The fans are going ballistic. The universal reaction around the league is "you've got to be kidding!" So, Bowlen walks the statement back.

Now it's "We'll see after the season." Which is really what it was all along. There was an argument to be made for firing McDaniels NOW like Dallas did with Wade Phillips, but Bowlen wants to give him as much of a chance as he can.

5. Unless things turn around there by the end of the season, there is just NO WAY Bowlen can keep McDaniels for another year without igniting a total fan revolt! Things are just out of control with the fans and he's going to face a massive problem. Things have NEVER been that ugly in Broncoland. Ticket holders will just ditch their tickets in unheard of numbers.

Bowlen will be feeling unbelievable pressure from season ticket holders screaming at him to fire the coach. He'll have real trouble selling those corporate box seats. (Do you really want to take your corporate clients to a Broncos game right now)?

Bowlen's trying his best at damage control but he's not going to be able to stop this runaway train-wreck. His hand is going to be forced by events unless McDaniels turns the team around and starts winning games (and more than just 1 or 2 he needs to win at least 3 out of five).

Even 3 wins means a 6-10 season, which is horrible and a top 10 draft pick. But, at least it's SOME sign of hope. Personally, I'd fire McDaniels right now. But, Bowlen might be able to keep him if he goes 6-10. Possibly even 5-11 (although he's going to face massive and sustained outrage from all sides).

But 3-13 or 4-12? (And you know they're going to be massively blown out in San Diego and possibly even Kansas City where they always lose anyway) which means they might possibly finish 1-5 in the division -- possibly the worst division record in team history and the worst record overall since the early 60's.

Just no way Bowlen can keep him the way this season is getting worse and worse every week. :coffee:

Guess the good news is that he really does pay attention to the fanbase. Good. He should.

Lancane
11-30-2010, 01:11 AM
I agree. He probably realized it was a bad move, even if he being honest, to say that Josh will be back in 2011. Taking a neutral position is smarter from a management perspective.

Doesn't that contradict your take on the matter somewhat, because earlier you posted -

Originally Posted by Bosco
I doubt Bowlen, or McDaniels for that matter, really care how the fans feel as long as the stadium gets sold out.

Originally Posted by Bosco
That's my point. Bowlen cares about winning, but that's personal for him. He isn't going to care how the fans feel as long as the stadium is getting filled or as you pointed out, merchandise is being bought.

This is a business and Bowlen wants to be the best and make money. That's all he cares about

Sounds like Bowlen does care what the fans think, especially if he's willing to change his standpoint with the media. That's if the Fanhouse version can be verified, the post received a letter from him...whereas Fanhouse had a verbal interview? Did we hear the interview, can it be verified that it is in all actuality Pat Bowlen? I'm not saying it isn't, but I find the balancing act to be questionable, why not just stick to your guns, instead of the mixed signals? Unless, he has thought about it and came to the same conclusion as I did, about the fans turning their ire on him.

robert ethan
11-30-2010, 01:17 AM
Yeah, cause it's much easier to fake a live interview with audio than it is to fake a letter sent in the mail.:coffee:

Lancane
11-30-2010, 01:23 AM
Yeah, cause it's much easier to fake a live interview with audio than it is to fake a letter sent in the mail.:coffee:

I've got only one thing to say, learning to be humble wouldn't be bad for you.

Ehhh, maybe two things...because while your at it, maybe it would be good for you to learn the difference between being serious and sarcastic, who knows...it might save the world!

Bosco
11-30-2010, 01:24 AM
Doesn't that contradict your take on the matter somewhat, because earlier you posted - No, as I highly doubt it's for the fans. My guess it would be for the board of directors and any investors.

Lancane
11-30-2010, 01:30 AM
No, as I highly doubt it's for the fans. My guess it would be for the board of directors and any investors.

Could be, that much I admit...

Too bad it's going to bring up the mental health issue again. We're going to start hearing jokes like, Bowlen's so senile he still thinks it's pre-season!

But, I believe it's more for the fans, the Board of Directors and the investors are not going to take the contradiction in stances lightly, so they likely knew before hand about both interviews and what they entailed. So, we'll just have to differ on this one, like on many other things...lol.

Cugel
11-30-2010, 01:34 AM

"Do Not Attempt To Operate Mouth While Mind Is Not Engaged." :coffee:

Cugel
11-30-2010, 01:44 AM
No, as I highly doubt it's for the fans. My guess it would be for the board of directors and any investors.

It's not just what casual fans think. It's a question of whether long-term season ticket holders renew their tickets. And it looks like a lot of them won't. There's a serious fan revolt. You can't just ignore it when the large majority of fans are furious. Coaches get fired (and not just a few scapegoat assistant coaches -- nobody's going to be satisfied with throwing the expendable retainers out of the sleigh when the wolves start closing in).

And there may be a lot of luxury box seats empty. Then there's the loss of revenue from sales of jerseys and other items.

Then there's the firestorm of criticism in the national media, which is never fun -- turning on NFL Sunday and seeing Bill Cowher calling on you to fire your coach and everybody under the sun ripping you for keeping him around.

Then there's the attitude of the other owners, (possibly the only people whose good opinions really matter to Bowlen -- the other members of the billionaires club) and having to endure them looking down on you for having run your franchise into the ground.

Then there's the question of what happens to the share price. The value of the team could go down after all if it looks like the Broncos are entering a long period of being bottom-feeders in this league (which they probably are the way things are going).

All in all, there's a lot for Pat to consider, none of it reassuring. :coffee:

Bosco
11-30-2010, 01:54 AM
Could be, that much I admit...

Too bad it's going to bring up the mental health issue again. We're going to start hearing jokes like, Bowlen's so senile he still thinks it's pre-season!

But, I believe it's more for the fans, the Board of Directors and the investors are not going to take the contradiction in stances lightly, so they likely knew before hand about both interviews and what they entailed. So, we'll just have to differ on this one, like on many other things...lol.

Who knows. On 12/27/2008 had you told me that Mike Shanahan would be fired I would have laughed at you and told you to stop being an idiot, and we saw how that one turned out. :lol:

robert ethan
11-30-2010, 02:27 AM
Shanahan was (and is) a jerk though. Josh McDaniels is a standup guy. There is a world of difference.

Lancane
11-30-2010, 02:27 AM
Who knows. On 12/27/2008 had you told me that Mike Shanahan would be fired I would have laughed at you and told you to stop being an idiot, and we saw how that one turned out. :lol:

And to think that if had only fired the defensive coordinator he would still be here...sometimes life, even in sports makes no freaking sense.

robert ethan
11-30-2010, 02:33 AM
I think that Josh McDaniels is a lot more respected and admired in the executive suites than he is on the street or in the media rags. You always have to remember that. People can wail and whine on message boards or through the print media, but little of that catchs the attention of the people who matter. They know Josh personally and have acess to others who have worked with him, etc. They aren't going to form even a tiny part of their opinion based on the mood of the general public.

Lancane
11-30-2010, 02:35 AM
Shanahan was (and is) a jerk though. Josh McDaniels is a standup guy. There is a world of difference.

Holy Shit...you're really reaching aren't you!

McDaniels is a stand-up guy alright, that's why one of his own had to turn him in for violating a league policy...he berated his staff like they were children, you don't treat grown men like that and think that no animosity has been created. Everything McDaniels has said and done has been a contradiction to the truth or his supposed values since coming to Denver.

:coffee:

Cugel
11-30-2010, 02:39 AM

Standup guy? He's a lying weasel who apparently "treats people like S***" to quote one "source in the Broncos organization".

He hasn't been a "stand-up guy" since day 1 when he told Cutler he "looked forward to working with him" and then went out behind his back and tried to trade for Matt Cassel.

Everything he's done since then has made it more and more clear that he's an egomaniac little tyrant who's progressively lost the loyalty of his own coaching staff by holding everybody else to blame except himself. :coffee:

Why do you think all these leaks are starting to come out? It's because he has NO LOYALTY within the Broncos organization. He tried to rule with fear. But, nobody is afraid of a coach who's lost 15 out of his last 21 games. He's acting like Belichek but he hasn't WON like Belichek.

So, it's not working. :coffee:

Northman
11-30-2010, 02:39 AM
I think that Josh McDaniels is a lot more respected and admired in the executive suites than he is on the street or in the media rags. You always have to remember that. People can wail and whine on message boards or through the print media, but little of that catchs the attention of the people who matter. They know Josh personally and have acess to others who have worked with him, etc. They aren't going to form even a tiny part of their opinion based on the mood of the general public.

Keep telling yourself that. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Lancane
11-30-2010, 02:43 AM

Again, your reaching and actually starting to make yourself look a tad bit illogical!

A lot more respected by whom? Please tell us, in your grand infinite wisdom who the hell your talking about...his peers in and around the league think that he's a fool. And as to the media, it is an outlet of information throughout the world, more respected then what you give them credit for and the masses listen to the media...as does the league, cause after all, it's the fans who make the sport what it is overall, not the owners nor the players.

He's thrown Belichick under the bus, who unlike him is a Hall of Fame bound coach, he's been caught in a lie that was reputed by three different organizations he had contact with. He's treated his staff like shit according to inside sources, even berating them like school children. I really want to know where you think that he has this tremendous support from?

Cugel
11-30-2010, 02:46 AM
It appears that the McDaniels supporters are backed into a corner. They've been telling everybody for so long that McDaniels is right and every critic is wrong that they just can't admit, perhaps especially to themselves, that they were all wrong about this man from day 1 and that the critics were right!

And the 6-0 start just convinced them and they stopped paying attention to all the crap going down. They explained away the 2-8 finish, all the bad trades and horrible draft day decisions.

Now the truth is more blinding than the noon-day sun and grows brighter with every loss, but they can't admit it without looking bad and wrong.

So, they keep up the world of denial. :coffee:

Not for much longer though. It's going to be rather hard to keep up the fiction as Cutler leads his team into the playoffs and the Broncos plummet to a 3-13 or 4-12 season amid an ongoing cheating scandal (it's not done by a long shot).

silkamilkamonico
11-30-2010, 03:56 AM
In some round about way, McDaniels is treating this situation the same way as Shanahan did, and I have lost all respect for him. Shanahan lied to the fanbase for years on his "1 player away" BS, and treated fans like imbeciles by patchworking areas that a casual NFL fan could see wouldn't work, not to mention his complete incompetence on his defense debacle. McDaniels has basically took all that garbage that Shanahan spewed and spun it to a high level.

It is quite so obviously clear to me that this organization is where it is because of Pat Bowlen's inability to see what's actually been going on. He figured it out with Shanahan aboiut 5 years too late, lets hope he doesn't make that same mistake with McDaniels.

robert ethan
11-30-2010, 03:58 AM
Well, the people in the executive suites seem to be behind Josh at the moment. A hundred times more solidly than the screeching rabble. Obviously if Pat Bowlen took a vote on the streets Josh would be gone. He is still here, will be here next year, and with any kind of luck at all for many years after that. So public opinion and sensationalist journalism don't really affect the course of events all that much.

BCJ
11-30-2010, 04:08 AM
This shit is getting comical. I dont think the members of this board can keep up with the different stories that get printed because Denver cant make up its mind no any given topic regarding the team. lmao

Is this where people state that Bowlen is losing his mind? Either that or he is drinking some good shit. How you can change your opinion within minutes takes some adult beverages, illegal drugs, a lost memory or all of the above. Can we stand outside the circle and point while giggling or do we just hide under our blankets?

BCJ
11-30-2010, 04:14 AM

Are you a spokeshole for the McDaniels family? Since September you have been here and I must say, lately your posts stand out on their own like you are on a deserted island. Many pro McD supporters, like myself, have taken major steps back from this guy as new shit hits the fan every week. It started for me with Hillis gone and I was irratated at first with his draft picks the first time around. I cant make excuses for him anymore but I am sure his family is paying you handsomely to make the rounds and give the "atta boys" out for Josh. You remind me of Frank the Tank in Old School with his plea for streaking through the quad. Lot of hype but no one is following you. You not only beat to a different drummer, you beat to your own drum. Have fun at it.

Nomad
11-30-2010, 05:47 AM
At least Bowlen acknowledges he still runs the BRONCOS!!

I wonder how many fans are going to being hoping the BRONCOS get blown out these next 5 games!! I, for one, will never wish for a BRONCOS loss!!

broncofaninfla
11-30-2010, 06:25 AM

Agreed, just further proof that the Broncos need to clean house and get rid of the stench that is the Patriot way.

Tned
11-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Some reality points:

Or, and here's a novel idea, maybe he thinks it's the best thing for the team -- the best/fastest way to get the team back to being competitive.

Nomad
11-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Another thing, if McDaniels is playing for his job the next 5 games, mineaswell give up wanting to see Tebow on the field because it's not going to happen!!

Tned
11-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Another thing, if McDaniels is playing for his job the next 5 games, mineaswell give up wanting to see Tebow on the field because it's not going to happen!!

Depends on whether or not Bowlen/Ellis and McDaniels discuss what they want to see from the next five games.

We don't know what they will use to measure the next five games. If it is simply win as many games as possible, I agree.

If they want to evaluate Tebow, and see the defense play like they did against the Jets rather than Oak and SD, then we could very well see Tebow.

Hard to say. My gut says if we see Tebow, it won't be until Week 16 or 17.

gobroncsnv
11-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Paige's column in the Post today has some pretty interesting tidbits about Elway wanting to come back in to the mix... If this is a way to get a better handle on the personnel side of things, and Bowlen bites on it, it would be a sure sign that he sees the problem as more than just the coach, and a HUGE move on the restoration of both stability and credibility. Would be really curious to see what his take on McD is...
7 could indeed be a ticket out of this particularly dark section of the forest. Even more of a challenge than first and 98.
If Pat would see his way clear to do something like this, THAT would do much to calm the firestorm.

Tned
11-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Paige's column in the Post today has some pretty interesting tidbits about Elway wanting to come back in to the mix... If this is a way to get a better handle on the personnel side of things, and Bowlen bites on it, it would be a sure sign that he sees the problem as more than just the coach, and a HUGE move on the restoration of both stability and credibility. Would be really curious to see what his take on McD is...
7 could indeed be a ticket out of this particularly dark section of the forest. Even more of a challenge than first and 98.
If Pat would see his way clear to do something like this, THAT would do much to calm the firestorm.

I am a HUGE Elway fan, and he is why I'm a Broncos fan. That said, we don't know that Elway in the FO would actually help in any way. I know he got some experience running the arena football team, and he seems successful as a businessman (hard to say how much was him, vs. other guys).

However, what it would do is be a BIG BOOST for the fans, and help bring us together with something to rally around, so from that perspective alone I would love to see Elway involved with the team in some way.

Dreadnought
11-30-2010, 08:44 AM
I am a HUGE Elway fan, and he is why I'm a Broncos fan. That said, we don't know that Elway in the FO would actually help in any way. I know he got some experience running the arena football team, and he seems successful as a businessman (hard to say how much was him, vs. other guys).

However, what it would do is be a BIG BOOST for the fans, and help bring us together with something to rally around, so from that perspective alone I would love to see Elway involved with the team in some way.

Big boost for the fans - a HUGE morale boost - but not without its own risks. The Packers in the 70's were a dynasty in decline, and they brought in Bart Starr as head coach in '75. Starr was one of the finest QB's the game has ever seen, the greatest Packer of them all IMO (Yes, Starr, not Favre) but he was not successful as a HC. Now, how on Earth do you fire Bart Starr? 9 Years, no winning seasons, and a .406 record. If we bring Elway in hope to Hell it works is all I'm saying, because no way can we be rid of him if it doesn't work.

Nomad
11-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Depends on whether or not Bowlen/Ellis and McDaniels discuss what they want to see from the next five games.

We don't know what they will use to measure the next five games. If it is simply win as many games as possible, I agree.

If they want to evaluate Tebow, and see the defense play like they did against the Jets rather than Oak and SD, then we could very well see Tebow.

Hard to say. My gut says if we see Tebow, it won't be until Week 16 or 17.

JMO, Bowlen wants to see wins!! I would like to see what we have in Tebow these last 5 games. Most people would put Tebow in a game such as Arizona, but I would start Tebow in a game like this Sunday at Arrowhead!!

TXBRONC
11-30-2010, 08:53 AM
I listened to McDaniels press conference yesterday and he was asked about his job his answer and the way answered it isn't hard believe something is up.

Nomad
11-30-2010, 09:00 AM
I listened to McDaniels press conference yesterday and he was asked about his job his answer and the way answered it isn't hard believe something is up.

You think Bowlen's decision will be based on how the BRONCOS do against the Chiefs, Raiders, and Chargers, being they are 3 of the 5 games left, regardless if 2 are away games?

TXBRONC
11-30-2010, 09:10 AM
Holy Shit...you're really reaching aren't you!

McDaniels is a stand-up guy alright, that's why one of his own had to turn him in for violating a league policy...he berated his staff like they were children, you don't treat grown men like that and think that no animosity has been created. Everything McDaniels has said and done has been a contradiction to the truth or his supposed values since coming to Denver.

:coffee:

He's such a stand up guy that it took a whistleblower to get him to fess up about the video taping.

Mike
11-30-2010, 09:10 AM
Bad week to hear this statement from the owner if you're McD. Going into Arrowhead to play a team you humiliated three weeks ago. Should make for an interesting game.

TXBRONC
11-30-2010, 09:27 AM
You think Bowlen's decision will be based on how the BRONCOS do against the Chiefs, Raiders, and Chargers, being they are 3 of the 5 games left, regardless if 2 are away games?

Putting together a winning record can't hurt especially if those victories are against division rivals. But don't know if that will even be enough. He has serious issues with his staff. When your staffers are willing to out to the boss about an illegal video taping and out you to the media about what is happening in what's suppose to be confidential staff meetings you're up to your lower lip in shit.

BigDaddyBronco
11-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Big boost for the fans - a HUGE morale boost - but not without its own risks. The Packers in the 70's were a dynasty in decline, and they brought in Bart Starr as head coach in '75. Starr was one of the finest QB's the game has ever seen, the greatest Packer of them all IMO (Yes, Starr, not Favre) but he was not successful as a HC. Now, how on Earth do you fire Bart Starr? 9 Years, no winning seasons, and a .406 record. If we bring Elway in hope to Hell it works is all I'm saying, because no way can we be rid of him if it doesn't work.
I would be up in arms if they wanted to make Elway the coach. But if they brought him in to be a sounding board for Ellis, I would agree whole heartedly with that move. Ellis is a business man first and foremost, while Elway is a football man and a business man. Ellis and Bowlen were for hiring McDaniels and then firing the Goodmans when McD chirped about them. I really do believe Elway would bring a football perspective to the decisions and might stop some of the harmful decisions being made at the top.

If his role is deeper than that, say a GM role, I think it would be trouble.

Dreadnought
11-30-2010, 09:48 AM
I would be up in arms if they wanted to make Elway the coach. But if they brought him in to be a sounding board for Ellis, I would agree whole heartedly with that move. Ellis is a business man first and foremost, while Elway is a football man and a business man. Ellis and Bowlen were for hiring McDaniels and then firing the Goodmans when McD chirped about them. I really do believe Elway would bring a football perspective to the decisions and might stop some of the harmful decisions being made at the top.

If his role is deeper than that, say a GM role, I think it would be trouble.

Agreed. Elway in a limited role could be Golden. More than that is real potential long term trouble

Nomad
11-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Putting together a winning record can't hurt especially if those victories are against division rivals. But don't know if that will even be enough. He has serious issues with his staff. When your staffers are willing to out to the boss about an illegal video taping and out you to the media about what is happening in what's suppose to be confidential staff meetings you're up to your lower lip in shit.

What is Denver...1 out of 5 against the AFC West in the last 5 games and consider 3 of the 5 to be blowouts by them and 1 blowout by Denver! If this happens to Denver (getting blown out) these next 3 divisional games, I don't believe Bowlen can excuse McDaniels even though the BRONCOS get wins against the Texans and Cardinals!! That's if I'm understanding the mindset of Bowlen correctly!!

turftoad
11-30-2010, 10:16 AM

A stand up guy????? :confused:

He just got fined $50,000 for lying.:shocked:

GEM
11-30-2010, 10:25 AM

How about you post something that shows Cugel is wrong instead of the smart ass post making Cugel the point. Break it down, point by point and refute it. Instead of refuting his post, you attack the poster. You've been doing that a lot lately.

GEM
11-30-2010, 10:29 AM

You still haven't explained why you would call a guy like Shanahan who brought great things to Denver a rat and a jerk, but call a call like McDaniels who has done nothing but destroy this franchise a standup guy. Standup guys don't cover up cheating, standup guys don't drag their entire coaching staff into the owners office and berate them while receiving no berating himself. Standup guy. :laugh: If that's your idea of a standup guy...wow.

TXBRONC
11-30-2010, 10:29 AM
What is Denver...1 out of 5 against the AFC West in the last 5 games and consider 3 of the 5 to be blowouts by them and 1 blowout by Denver! If this happens to Denver (getting blown out) these next 3 divisional games, I don't believe Bowlen can excuse McDaniels even though the BRONCOS get wins against the Texans and Cardinals!! That's if I'm understanding the mindset of Bowlen correctly!!

Mike Klis in his weekly mailbag said something very similar.

I was convinced that Josh McDaniels had what it took to develop success, and I've been pleased by the team-first outlook of our players. However, the recent cheating/videotaping scandal imported from New England was it for me. If nothing else, don't you think that firing McD would at least show that our Denver Broncos still hold honor rather than just a coach who cheats and fails to display the admirable qualities/attitude of his players?
-- JD, Denver

And now from JD, with the more common response to the Broncos' video caper. This latest incident is going to be difficult for McDaniels to overcome. He can, but his team probably has to win at minimum two of its final five games, and there can't be any more blowout defeats.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosmailbag/ci_16734039

So he thinks takes a minimum of two wins and no blowouts. I don't buy that completely. I don't think finishing 2-3 over the last five games would be all that helpful and most especially if the two wins came against the Cardinals and the Texans.

If all that matters is the wins and loses and the inhouse back biting means nothing then going 2-3 and the two wins came against division rivals then maybe but that also means that the three loses can't be blowouts imo.

GEM
11-30-2010, 10:32 AM

Executive suites are sold to entertain business partners and potential clients. I don't think they give much of a shit about McDaniels or the Broncos. Please tell me where you would get the idea that they respect McDaniels. If they can't take their business partners and potential clients to the executive suite they they are paying out the ass for because the product on the field sucks, they are going to be just as pissed, if not more, than Joe Schmoe who paid a 100 bucks for his nose bleed seats.

Your logic is overwhelming.

Nomad
11-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Mike Klis in his weekly mailbag said something very similar.

So he thinks takes a minimum of two wins and no blowouts. I don't buy that completely. I don't think finishing 2-3 over the last five games would be all that helpful and most especially if the two wins came against the Cardinals and the Texans.

If all that matters is the wins and loses and the inhouse back biting means nothing then going 2-3 and the two wins came against division rivals then maybe but that also means that the three loses can't be blowouts imo.

I guess we'll find out but these next 5 games will be a good gauge for Bowlen to evaluate, because Arizona is definitely not a powerhouse (must win) and Texans are off&on (I don't remember if the game is at Mile High, if so makes that game even more critical), and McDaniels has to have solid games against the divisional opponents and wins especially the Chargers game!!

TXBRONC
11-30-2010, 10:55 AM
I guess we'll find out but these next 5 games will be a good gauge for Bowlen to evaluate, because Arizona is definitely not a powerhouse (must win) and Texans are off&on (I don't remember if the game is at Mile High, if so makes that game even more critical), and McDaniels has to have solid games against the divisional opponents and wins especially the Chargers game!!

Yes the game against the Texans is in Denver.

The remaining schedule looks like this:

Kansas City (away)

Arizona (away)

Oakland (away)

Houston (home)

San Diego (home)

Dreadnought
11-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Executive suites are sold to entertain business partners and potential clients. I don't think they give much of a shit about McDaniels or the Broncos. Please tell me where you would get the idea that they respect McDaniels. If they can't take their business partners and potential clients to the executive suite they they are paying out the ass for because the product on the field sucks, they are going to be just as pissed, if not more, than Joe Schmoe who paid a 100 bucks for his nose bleed seats.

Your logic is overwhelming.

Exactly. You want to impress and entertain the VP for Overseas operations for an important partner firm - and they get to see 59-14?! Not good. Booze and floozies start to look like the better deal, if not tax deductible

Nomad
11-30-2010, 11:02 AM

Kansas City (away)

Arizona (away)

Oakland (away)

Houston (home)

San Diego (home)

Thanks TX!!

I like seeing 3 away games in a row especially against divisional rivals. This will tell us how much backbone the BRONCOS have.

TXBRONC
11-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Exactly. You want to impress and entertain the VP for Overseas operations for an important partner firm - and they get to see 59-14?! Not good. Booze and floozies start to look like the better deal, if not tax deductible

Not everyone can be an Elliot Spitzer.

Jake Klug
11-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Bowlen really intends to bring McDaniels back. The first statement tells you that. The revised statement tells you he also plans on stringing everyone along to play them like fools.

Northman
11-30-2010, 11:52 AM

Kansas City (away)

Arizona (away)

Oakland (away)

Houston (home)

San Diego (home)

We maybe win the AZ game and possibly the Raider game and thats only because they lost their QB. But then again Campbell lit us up so right now the AZ game is the only one im confident we can win.

Ravage!!!
11-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Screw it, since he is just hiring anybody let me do it. Certainly cant be anyworse than the guy we have now.

Damn straight! I can lose with the best of 'em!

Mike
11-30-2010, 12:21 PM
We maybe win the AZ game and possibly the Raider game and thats only because they lost their QB. But then again Campbell lit us up so right now the AZ game is the only one im confident we can win.

Houston's secondary is atrocious. That game will likely be a shoot-out. I do think Houston's d-line will have more of an impact than Denver's d-line...so I give them the edge, but Denver has a chance.

Oakland embarassed us, so I think the team will be up for that game.

Az looks really, really bad, so I think Denver should win that one.

KC and SD will beat us. But Denver could win the other 3.

Northman
11-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Houston's secondary is atrocious. That game will likely be a shoot-out. I do think Houston's d-line will have more of an impact than Denver's d-line...so I give them the edge, but Denver has a chance.

It all depends on which team decides to show up.

Cugel
11-30-2010, 12:33 PM
The way the Broncos are playing they're not going to beat ANYBODY. I mean if you can't beat the 49ers and get physically whipped on both sides of the ball by the Raiders and Rams who is there in the NFL you can expect to beat? :coffee:

The Carolina Panthers? They don't play them this season.

TXBRONC
11-30-2010, 12:36 PM

True Arizona looks terrible but so do we and we're playing in their house.

Jake Klug
11-30-2010, 12:37 PM
The way the Broncos are playing they're not going to beat ANYBODY. I mean if you can't beat the 49ers and get physically whipped on both sides of the ball by the Raiders and Rams who is there in the NFL you can expect to beat? :coffee:

The Carolina Panthers? They don't play them this season.

The sad thing is that it seems the front office will try to use any meaningless victory as a reason to hype Josh McDaniels. Unfortunately, the Cardinals looks like a winnable game. This whole thing is just pathetic.

arapaho2
11-30-2010, 01:44 PM

sounds like a case of

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3267/denial.jpg