PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun: who do you think will be surprise cuts this year?

scott.475
08-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Both for tomorrow, and the final cut down?

Proceed...

BroncoTech
08-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Tom Nalen?
I think that would be surprising.

Maybe Sheffler?
Didn't see that one coming.

I don't know but it's a good question.

GJCTFAN
08-25-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure it is a surprise at this point, but if you had told me at the beginning of training camp that Abdullah would be cut, I would have been surprised. I think he's gone.

HolyDiver
08-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Ekuban

GEM
08-25-2008, 11:21 AM
950TheFan was saying the other day that CB's were definately on the block. I'm sure Poole is gone, anyone else? Foxy has been terrible at allowing receptions, but decent on after catch tackles. Paymah has just been awful all around.

I know one for sure that will be gone....one of the punters...:D

HolyDiver
08-25-2008, 11:38 AM
950TheFan was saying the other day that CB's were definately on the block. I'm sure Poole is gone, anyone else? Foxy has been terrible at allowing receptions, but decent on after catch tackles. Paymah has just been awful all around.

I know one for sure that will be gone....one of the punters...:D

Poole is history...........But Foxworth has played very well.............Good enough to start over Bly IMO..........And Paymah isn't going anywhere either.

underrated29
08-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Poole is history...........But Foxworth has played very well.............Good enough to start over Bly IMO..........And Paymah isn't going anywhere either.

yes!............yes,...........Not even close, fox wont be on blys level for a long time if ever,.....................i also agree here too. However, he could be gone to make room for jmfw (although he hasnt looked all that spectacular either.)

Thnikkaman
08-25-2008, 11:43 AM
I wonder if we will start shopping Bly around.

GEM
08-25-2008, 11:46 AM

I love Foxy as a player, that aside, he doesn't know how to break up a play prior to it happening. He sits an waits for the play to happen and then tackles. I am under the impression that a natural part of being a cornerback is to break up plays and an instinct to make a play. Not allowing long passes to be caught. I just don't think Foxy has that instinct. I know he isn't going anywhere, but there is a lot to be desired in his play.

Paymah was terrible period.

G_Money
08-25-2008, 11:51 AM
With Manuel's broken thumb and no Lynch, Abdullah's not gone. We don't have enough safeties lying around for that. Though I suppose we could go get Josh Gattis (isn't he the guy you liked a couple years ago, Coach?) who was just cut by the Bears. He's been cut twice in 2 years, but being cut by the Jags and the Bears doesn't make him worthless to us.

But then I think people know I don't like Hamza as a starter.

Scheff isn't gonna be cut. His position is so secure he didn't even have to play this pre-season. Now if he tears up his foot again this year and Nate Jackson stays healthy (about as likely as the sun rising in the west) then I could see Scheff being a debate next year.

My surprise cuts would be:

1) Nalen, as mentioned above. If he really CAN'T go, then having him take up a roster spot is hard. However, I think Lichtensteiger could be cut and shoved (hopefully) on the PS while Nalen takes up a roster spot this year, healthy or not. Hamilton's our backup center so Lick is down the depth chart, and I just don't see us flat out cutting Nalen. He might retire though, so he's still here as a surprise not to make the roster. I think his knee's worse than they're admitting.

2) Keary Colbert - If we start using Martinez again on punts to save Royal's strength, and Russell can get open and catch more passes, and have D-Jack and Royal and Marshall, then Keary's a bubble guy. I don't like him, but I think he probably squeezes onto the team. Still, a guy can hope.

3) Ekuban - first the Achilles, now his back. If he can't go, he's no good to us. Ebenezer might be out of here. I wish he'd stay, because I like his energy and leadership - and oh yeah, he doesn't suck - but if injury is gonna make him suck then he's gone.

4) Paymah - I think he has a real chance to get cut. He's been miserable in the pre-season. It's not necessarily his fault; he's stupid. It's hard for him to switch schemes. But it's HIS COACH that took over the reins of the defense and if he can't grasp it, he can't play for us. Foxy and JMFW have picked it up better and tackle better. Paymah wants to be a run-supporting safety who sucks in coverage apparently, which is a problem since he's a cornerback.

5) Green - I think it's him or Beck, and Beck is the same level of ST player with fewer injury concerns. I don't think we can sneak Woodyard onto the practice squad and he's also proven to be a great STer, so with LB spots needed for Woodyard, DJ, Boss, Webster, Kou and Winborn, as well as extra roster spots for other positions...one of Beck/Green has to go I think. I'm assuming Larsen gets cut and shoved on the PS here, but even if he doesn't I'd keep him over Green.

6) Alridge. I think we try to get him on the PS. In order to do that we have to cut him. It's gonna be an interesting numbers game this year.

7) Hackney. See Alridge.

PS guesses:

1) Alridge (love him, but I think the Broncos are gonna try to sneak him through. I wish they wouldn't, cuz I'd hate to lose him)
2) Hackney (nobody else needs a 6-nothing backup with a good arm, right?)
3) Lichtensteiger (if Nalen does not retire - Polumbus probably interests more people as a potential LT so Lick is an easier guy to keep around once we cut him)
4) Larsen (great guy, terrific tackler, might get caught in a numbers crunch)

I'm not sure if I'd hate that or love it. Hate it because I want all those guys on the team, love it because at least they're still on our practice squad so they can come back to us in our time of need. I think we'd lose at least one and possibly more if we cut em, though - don't take the chance Shanny! All 4 of those guys could contribute to our next Super Bowl team!

Um...done rambling now...

~G

Thnikkaman
08-25-2008, 11:56 AM
I know its not going to happen, but I wish it would, but Ramsey needs to go.

Grover
08-25-2008, 11:59 AM
In previous years, Shanny has cut some older veteran players on the first cutdown date. If that happens this year, then I'd guess it would be Ekuban. But I really don't see any surprise cuts happening tomorrow.

Other than Ekuban, my guess at "surprise" cuts would be Abdullah, Sapp, and Louis Green not making it to the final 53.

I would expect that at least one of our cuts will be playing for the Raiders this year.

NightTrainLayne
08-25-2008, 12:23 PM
I love Foxy as a player, that aside, he doesn't know how to break up a play prior to it happening. He sits an waits for the play to happen and then tackles. I am under the impression that a natural part of being a cornerback is to break up plays and an instinct to make a play. Not allowing long passes to be caught. I just don't think Foxy has that instinct. I know he isn't going anywhere, but there is a lot to be desired in his play.

Paymah was terrible period.

In the Hard Knocks episode last week, something really stuck out at me as being true about Foxworth.

One of the Dallas players (I think maybe TO), was talking to one of the young WR's who was lining up against Foxworth.

He said, "Right now he's not seeing the ball so just go right at him, and you can beat him to the ball." (or something closely resembling that statement.)

Watching Foxworth these past few weeks that seems pretty accurate. He's not really getting beat. . he seems to be in the middle of the play, but he's not seeing the ball. He has no chance to make a play on the ball or break-up the pass because he is spending all his concentration and energy just staying with his man.

He's got to learn to get his head around and see the ball too.

BigDaddyBronco
08-25-2008, 12:37 PM
In the Hard Knocks episode last week, something really stuck out at me as being true about Foxworth.

One of the Dallas players (I think maybe TO), was talking to one of the young WR's who was lining up against Foxworth.

He said, "Right now he's not seeing the ball so just go right at him, and you can beat him to the ball." (or something closely resembling that statement.)

Watching Foxworth these past few weeks that seems pretty accurate. He's not really getting beat. . he seems to be in the middle of the play, but he's not seeing the ball. He has no chance to make a play on the ball or break-up the pass because he is spending all his concentration and energy just staying with his man.

To me he seems like the good athlete who keeps going to the next level because he is really smart, no the great athlete who can be taught how to play the game. I like Foxy, I just don't see him getting any better than he is today.

GEM
08-25-2008, 12:43 PM

To me he seems like the good athlete who keeps going to the next level because he is really smart, no the great athlete who can be taught how to play the game. I like Foxy, I just don't see him getting any better than he is today.

Exactly! He's missing those CB instincts that guys like Champ and Bly have. The instinct to know where the ball is.

Buff
08-25-2008, 12:51 PM
As I watched Paymah get torched in the endzone and take a PI penalty, I couldn't help but think his days are numbered... If Jack Williams has any sort of a game this week and makes some more special teams plays, I think Paymah's gone.

Ekuban is gone.

I still can't help but think Pittman will be gone. Maybe injuries & his decent play the past couple weeks has done enough to keep him around, but 2 weeks ago I thought him being cut was a sure thing.

I don't see any Kyle Johnson type cuts happening this year where he was a starter resting for the regular season one minute, and unemployed the next. Most of them seem pretty cut and dry.

dogfish
08-25-2008, 12:52 PM
I know its not going to happen, but I wish it would, but Ramsey needs to go.

amen! you beat me to it. . . .

Dreadnought
08-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Pittman doesn't make this team IMO. Thats not exactly a bold prediction, I know, but there it is.

Ziggy
08-25-2008, 01:12 PM
I think the biggest surprise will be Sapp. Hillis is a better blocker and receiver, and Pittman can back up both the FB and RB spots better. I also think Colbert gets cut, and the surprise player to make the team is Clifford Russell.

ktrain
08-25-2008, 01:21 PM
I think the biggest surprise will be Sapp. Hillis is a better blocker and receiver, and Pittman can back up both the FB and RB spots better. I also think Colbert gets cut, and the surprise player to make the team is Clifford Russell.

I guess Russel was pretty impresssive in camp....but then again so was the claw. He seems to have the dropsies too.....just like the claw

broncofaninfla
08-25-2008, 01:22 PM
I said it in an earlier post but I believe there is a chance Sapp might be cut in favor of moving Pittman to fullback and emergancy HB. That allows them to hold a roster spot open for Torain once he is healthy enough to play. I feel Aldridge will ocupy that spot until Torain's return then be cut and placed on the PS early to midway in the season. I also feel there is a chance that Hillis will play in place of a blocking tight end in the two tight end formations allowing the Broncos to carry one less tight end this season.

Buff
08-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Can someone clear up the PUP list rule for me?

How many players can be on the PUP list, and what is the deadline for putting a player on the list?

It makes perfect sense for Torain, who wouldn't be back until week 6 or later anyway (most likely)... I thought I read somewhere that the deadline has passed for us to put him on the PUP list, but then I see that the Packers put Harrell on the PUP list today.

dogfish
08-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Can someone clear up the PUP list rule for me?

How many players can be on the PUP list, and what is the deadline for putting a player on the list?

It makes perfect sense for Torain, who wouldn't be back until week 6 or later anyway (most likely)... I thought I read somewhere that the deadline has passed for us to put him on the PUP list, but then I see that the Packers put Harrell on the PUP list today.

the only way they can go on the PUP is if they don't pass their pre-camp physical-- once a guy plays in TC, it's too late. . .

edit: the pack was able to put harrell on the PUP because he was on the active/physiclly unable to perform list, as he didn't pass his pre-camp physical. . . they must have been hoping he could make it back before week six, which is why they waited this long to put him on it. . .

hamrob
08-25-2008, 03:06 PM
The over-weight behemuth! Once you get in Shanny's dog house...it's over with!

topscribe
08-25-2008, 03:09 PM
Pittman doesn't make this team IMO. Thats not exactly a bold prediction, I know, but there it is.

They played Pittman a lot this last game.

Could be that they were trying to make up their mind whether to cut him?

-----

topscribe
08-25-2008, 03:12 PM
NATE WEBSTER?

Consider:

1. He has peaked. He's not going to get any better. Niko, Woodyard, Larsen,
et al. still have upside. They all will get better, and therefore will the team.

2. He doesn't play STs. All the others do.

3. If he doesn't start, he is deadwood, riding the pine.

Frankly, I will not be overly surprised.

-----

Dreadnought
08-25-2008, 03:17 PM
NATE WEBSTER?

Consider:

et al. still have upside. They all will get better, and there for will the team.

-----

For all those reasons, and especially the bolded portion,I'd like to see it. I really think Ian Gold wasn't our worst starting LB last year, and he was plenty bad.

Buff
08-25-2008, 03:22 PM
NATE WEBSTER?

Consider:

et al. still have upside. They all will get better, and therefore will the team.

-----

I don't disagree with anything you said... But the sad reality is that he's the best MLB on our roster not named D.J. Williams and will be our starter in week 1.

DenBronx
08-25-2008, 03:23 PM
With Manuel's broken thumb and no Lynch, Abdullah's not gone. We don't have enough safeties lying around for that. Though I suppose we could go get Josh Gattis (isn't he the guy you liked a couple years ago, Coach?) who was just cut by the Bears. He's been cut twice in 2 years, but being cut by the Jags and the Bears doesn't make him worthless to us.

But then I think people know I don't like Hamza as a starter.

Scheff isn't gonna be cut. His position is so secure he didn't even have to play this pre-season. Now if he tears up his foot again this year and Nate Jackson stays healthy (about as likely as the sun rising in the west) then I could see Scheff being a debate next year.

My surprise cuts would be:

1) Nalen, as mentioned above. If he really CAN'T go, then having him take up a roster spot is hard. However, I think Lichtensteiger could be cut and shoved (hopefully) on the PS while Nalen takes up a roster spot this year, healthy or not. Hamilton's our backup center so Lick is down the depth chart, and I just don't see us flat out cutting Nalen. He might retire though, so he's still here as a surprise not to make the roster. I think his knee's worse than they're admitting.

2) Keary Colbert - If we start using Martinez again on punts to save Royal's strength, and Russell can get open and catch more passes, and have D-Jack and Royal and Marshall, then Keary's a bubble guy. I don't like him, but I think he probably squeezes onto the team. Still, a guy can hope.

3) Ekuban - first the Achilles, now his back. If he can't go, he's no good to us. Ebenezer might be out of here. I wish he'd stay, because I like his energy and leadership - and oh yeah, he doesn't suck - but if injury is gonna make him suck then he's gone.

4) Paymah - I think he has a real chance to get cut. He's been miserable in the pre-season. It's not necessarily his fault; he's stupid. It's hard for him to switch schemes. But it's HIS COACH that took over the reins of the defense and if he can't grasp it, he can't play for us. Foxy and JMFW have picked it up better and tackle better. Paymah wants to be a run-supporting safety who sucks in coverage apparently, which is a problem since he's a cornerback.

5) Green - I think it's him or Beck, and Beck is the same level of ST player with fewer injury concerns. I don't think we can sneak Woodyard onto the practice squad and he's also proven to be a great STer, so with LB spots needed for Woodyard, DJ, Boss, Webster, Kou and Winborn, as well as extra roster spots for other positions...one of Beck/Green has to go I think. I'm assuming Larsen gets cut and shoved on the PS here, but even if he doesn't I'd keep him over Green.

6) Alridge. I think we try to get him on the PS. In order to do that we have to cut him. It's gonna be an interesting numbers game this year.

7) Hackney. See Alridge.

PS guesses:

1) Alridge (love him, but I think the Broncos are gonna try to sneak him through. I wish they wouldn't, cuz I'd hate to lose him)
2) Hackney (nobody else needs a 6-nothing backup with a good arm, right?)
3) Lichtensteiger (if Nalen does not retire - Polumbus probably interests more people as a potential LT so Lick is an easier guy to keep around once we cut him)
4) Larsen (great guy, terrific tackler, might get caught in a numbers crunch)

I'm not sure if I'd hate that or love it. Hate it because I want all those guys on the team, love it because at least they're still on our practice squad so they can come back to us in our time of need. I think we'd lose at least one and possibly more if we cut em, though - don't take the chance Shanny! All 4 of those guys could contribute to our next Super Bowl team!

Um...done rambling now...

~G

G your deffinitely one of my favorite posters. You always put good thought into whatever topic your discussing. You have my vote of poster of the year! :beer:

topscribe
08-25-2008, 03:29 PM
I guess Russel was pretty impresssive in camp....but then again so was the claw. He seems to have the dropsies too.....just like the claw

It disappoints me that a quality young man such as Darius Watts is so
denigrated, especially when he had the cajones to try to make it in the pros,
despite his disabilitiy. I don't know . . . just hate to see it. I admire the
young man.

-----

topscribe
08-25-2008, 03:33 PM
I don't disagree with anything you said... But the sad reality is that he's the best MLB on our roster not named D.J. Williams and will be our starter in week 1.

You are probably right.

My problem is, if Webster stays on the roster, someone else goes, probably a
linebacker. Who? By releasing someone else, they are not only sending a LB
down the road, but a ST player. There is no future with Webster. We cannot
say that about any of the others, that I know of.

When Niko will probably be as good as Webster . . . and a better tackler,
which he already is . . . after three or four games, and will get better yet
after that, why would Webster stay?

But then, I'm not one of the coaches . . .

-----

turftoad
08-26-2008, 06:24 PM
My surprise cut is going to be Holland.

That's all.

Traveler
08-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Cut-Pittman, Martinez, Barrett, Green, and Kolbert

Skinny
08-26-2008, 07:32 PM

That's all.I would be a bit suprised if this happened. I hope it does'nt. I would rather they keep him and his experiance with the O-line and in this scheme as depth if anything. Our back-up plan for Nalen is already in motion with Weigmann and one more injury to the O-line and Holland becomes a key commodity for us. An instant plug-n-go.

The depth and experiance behind Holland scares the poo-poo out of me.

turftoad
08-27-2008, 10:23 AM
I would be a bit suprised if this happened. I hope it does'nt. I would rather they keep him and his experiance with the O-line and in this scheme as depth if anything. Our back-up plan for Nalen is already in motion with Weigmann and one more injury to the O-line and Holland becomes a key commodity for us. An instant plug-n-go.

The depth and experiance behind Holland scares the poo-poo out of me.

I agree, howerver, Holland came in over weight, out of shape and missed at least half of training camp trying to get a handle on it.

I'm sure Shanny is not real impressed with that and we know what happens to players in Shanahans dog house don't we.

underrated29
08-27-2008, 10:41 AM
I agree, howerver, Holland came in over weight, out of shape and missed at least half of training camp trying to get a handle on it.

I'm sure Shanny is not real impressed with that and we know what happens to players in Shanahans dog house don't we.

True but as long as holland doesnt fumble the ball i think he will be alright.

Watchthemiddle
08-27-2008, 10:52 AM

I agree about Fox and Paymah. I would start Fox, and put Bly at nickel.

Watchthemiddle
08-27-2008, 10:53 AM
True but as long as holland doesnt fumble the ball i think he will be alright.

:confused:
Holland doesn't carry the ball....:laugh:

topscribe
08-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Holland doesn't carry the ball....:laugh:

Then he should be all right. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thwink.gif

-----

topscribe
08-27-2008, 01:43 PM
I agree about Fox and Paymah. I would start Fox, and put Bly at nickel.

I would be very tempted to do that, were I coach. Foxy is a better tackler,
and he has been nearly as good as Bly in coverage.

But then, I showed how much I know when I said Webster might be cut. :laugh:

-----

hamrob
08-28-2008, 02:28 PM
The over-weight behemuth! Once you get in Shanny's dog house...it's over with!So, did anyone beat me to this prediction or was I the first?

underrated29
08-28-2008, 02:35 PM
I dont know. But i sure wasnt very close. I was dead wrong!

Although he technically didnt get cut so i guess i was only 50% wrong.

Good call folks, good call. I didnt see it coming and hoorah for those of you that did.

turftoad
08-28-2008, 03:47 PM

That's all.

That was my take.

He wasn't cut but his future didn't look very bright to me as a Bronco.

OrangeStar7
08-29-2008, 06:01 AM
I wonder if we will start shopping Bly around.

Bly's got a year or two left in his legs; so I wouldn't doubt he might be off to another team next year just before phycians can determine he's officially got jelly legs. Then again, some vets over 30-32 see it coming and work harder than ever and really surprise everyone with top seasons way above coaches' and fans' expectations! Bly has pride and I hope that evokes a greater desire and a strong work ethic this year and next, so that even a loss of speed might be offset by hard work and true desire. If so, he might combine those characteristics with his 10-12 years of experience and literally be a BETTER CB toward the latter part of his career!! I, for one, am hoping so.

Tom Landry once said, "The game of football is a lot like the game of life. About the time a player learns how to play the game at a high level, it's just about time to retire!"