PDA

View Full Version : Remember when...

Slick
11-29-2010, 02:01 PM
...we used to talk about football in Broncos talk?

We used to come here after the game to talk about a great catch, an outstanding run, a sack, a pick, even a bad call by the refs.

I miss those days.

:bandit:

camdisco24
11-29-2010, 02:21 PM
It is sad....

GEM
11-29-2010, 02:22 PM
I remember when I used to get up on Sunday morning like a kid on Christmas. Yesterday was just a wake up and "oh the Broncos are on today" which sucked!

Northman
11-29-2010, 02:27 PM
I miss when i had something to look for every Bronco game.

MasterShake
11-29-2010, 02:27 PM
I remember when I used to get up on Sunday morning like a kid on Christmas. Yesterday was just a wake up and "oh the Broncos are on today" which sucked!

I guess it would take a lot for me to get that bad. Even yesterday I was like, "Yeah! Lets go kick some ass!". Seems no matter what, I never lose focus of how short the season is and how long it takes to come back around. I treasure every game I get to watch when they strap on those Broncos uniforms. Usually by April I'm dying for a preseason game or a scrimmage even! :lol:

Northman
11-29-2010, 02:30 PM
I guess it would take a lot for me to get that bad. Even yesterday I was like, "Yeah! Lets go kick some ass!". Seems no matter what, I never lose focus of how short the season is and how long it takes to come back around. I treasure every game I get to watch when they strap on those Broncos uniforms. Usually by April I'm dying for a preseason game or a scrimmage even! :lol:

Thats truly amazing. Wish i could look at it like that.

GEM
11-29-2010, 02:32 PM

That is so normally me. Just not the last 2 weeks. I didn't have a shread of faith on MNF. I just didn't. Then yesterday with the stuff that came out on Saturday...I just felt blah.

Believe me, it sucks to feel like this. I'd change it if I had any faith in them.

Slick
11-29-2010, 02:32 PM

I haven't lost that excitement on gamedays either Shake. I still love our guys, I just end up in a numb, coma like state by the end of the 3rd quarter.

topscribe
11-29-2010, 02:33 PM
It is really pathetic when one gets to where one does not look forward to Sunday.

I'm nearly there . . .

-----

BroncoNut
11-29-2010, 02:34 PM

yeah, that's a great attitude. I'll tune into every game the rest of the season, I am sure, and continue to look for good performaces. what sucks is that I was particularly jacked up for this season with the new 2nd year coach. And Orton was exciting in the preseason.

Zweems56
11-29-2010, 02:34 PM

Yeah, thats exactly how I feel. 15 minutes before game time, I start suiting up. Jersey, striped socks, broncos shirt under jersey, old highschool football shorts, broncos hat that I wear solely for broncos games and fishing. Except the difference is, this season, I immediately disrobe after the game, and vent my frustration.

Mike
11-29-2010, 02:35 PM
It is really pathetic when one gets to where one does not look forward to Sunday.

I'm nearly there . . .

-----

Wait for what is coming this Sunday. A motivate Chiefs team...in Arrowhead...in December. :sad:

GEM
11-29-2010, 02:36 PM

I'm nearly there . . .

-----

I have something else to look forward to in the meantime. Wrestling season starts in exactly 3 days. :rockon: I am so looking forward to watching my boys kick some ass! :rockon: For the time being Saturday will become my Sunday.

BroncoNut
11-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Yeah, thats exactly how I feel. 15 minutes before game time, I start suiting up. Jersey, striped socks, broncos shirt under jersey, old highschool football shorts, broncos hat that I wear solely for broncos games and fishing. Except the difference is, this season, I immediately disrobe after the game, and vent my frustration.

that's sad. do you masturbate angrily or something?

topscribe
11-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Wait for what is coming this Sunday. A motivate Chiefs team...in Arrowhead...in December. :sad:

I know. I had long forgotten, but it's coming back to me now, how I felt on some Sundays, back in the 1960s . . .

-----

BroncoNut
11-29-2010, 02:38 PM
I know. I had long forgotten, but it's coming back to me now, how I felt on some Sundays, back in the 1960s . . .

-----

were you a hippy Top? Seriously

Mike
11-29-2010, 02:38 PM

-----

It's all good, man. The Broncos will get through this. Years like these are what makes us fully appreciate the good seasons. :beer:

MileHighCrew
11-29-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm more like Slick. I can't help but get excited, just to see them play. Sure when they lose it hurts and 6 days a week I have been upset recently. But game day, oh how I love game day. I put on a jersey, my kids cheer, go Broncos (they are too young to care other than daddy loves it)
Monday hurts Tuesday sucks.... Saturday last week was a new low but game day, oh how I love game day.

BigDaddyBronco
11-29-2010, 02:40 PM
I have emotionally checked out. Now I'm just watching for entertainment and to see who is playing well and such.

BroncoNut
11-29-2010, 02:40 PM
I have emotionally checked out. Now I'm just watching for entertainment and to see who is playing well and such.

that's kinda me too. I don't expect us to win and if we do, it doesn't really matter that much :couch: I know that is bad.

topscribe
11-29-2010, 02:43 PM
were you a hippy Top? Seriously

I was a farm & ranch boy. Rode bulls in rodeos (well, not for very long - I
wasn't very good at it). Kicked ass on the football field (might as well have -
I wasn't very good at anything else there, either). C&W was my favorite
music. Wore Levi's and boots and a felt hat, except when I was out in the
field, when I wore what is referred to now as a baseball cap (always had it on
in the right direction). And I always seemed to find myself in the middle of a
bar fight.

Does that sound like a hippy? http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thwink.gif

-----

BroncoNut
11-29-2010, 02:45 PM
bar fight.

Does that sound like a hippy? http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thwink.gif

-----

So you were basically a badass huh?

topscribe
11-29-2010, 02:46 PM
So you were basically a badass huh?

Thought I was. I was occasionally instructed differently, though. :lol:

-----

Lancane
11-29-2010, 02:48 PM
bar fight.

-----

Nope...not a hippie, just a good ol' boy with a John Wayne attitude! ;)

BroncoNut
11-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Thought I was. I was occasionally instructed differently, though. :lol:

-----

I think every male does at some point. Remember when you first got laid? didn't you think you were like the shit?

I was kinda a hoodlum in high school. I was to be more of a rebel than anything. hung around with the wrong crowd

topscribe
11-29-2010, 02:53 PM
I think every male does at some point. Remember when you first got laid? didn't you think you were like the shit?

I was kinda a hoodlum in high school. I was to be more of a rebel than anything. hung around with the wrong crowd

Hell, Nut . . . don't get me into "remember when's."

I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast. :laugh:

-----

Lancane
11-29-2010, 02:59 PM

You sound more like me nut, I grew up in Denver...I still remember how I felt after getting laid, I thought I was a pimp...lol.

Most memorable thing that happened during high school was when our football team was playing Denver North, it was called off after a fight broke out in the 3rd quarter, coaches were fist-fighting coaches and players were knocking the shit out of one another. It made the news, stating that a gang fight broke loose during a high school football game. And then we had to run laps on Saturday for fighting...I remember being pissed, cause the coaches fought as well and their asses were not running with us!

Bronco Bible
11-29-2010, 03:08 PM

Yeah, I was that way until we jumped out to a lead, and after that could not even seem to be able to jump out of our own way ,the second & third quarters were hellish:mad:

WTE
11-29-2010, 03:14 PM

Classic!

topscribe
11-29-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm more like Slick. I can't help but get excited, just to see them play. Sure when they lose it hurts and 6 days a week I have been upset recently. But game day, oh how I love game day. I put on a jersey, my kids cheer, go Broncos (they are too young to care other than daddy loves it)
Monday hurts Tuesday sucks.... Saturday last week was a new low but game day, oh how I love game day.

I appreciate my beer on game day. Win or lose, beer is just as effective . . .

-----

HORSEPOWER 56
11-29-2010, 03:25 PM

Post of the thread. It really sucks ass to not be excited about your team anymore...

:(

KCL
11-29-2010, 03:28 PM

I am looking forward to that...I just hope I'm cheering during and after the game.

Lancane
11-29-2010, 03:31 PM
I appreciate my beer on game day. Win or lose, beer is just as effective . . .

-----

So is whiskey, brandy, tequila, vodka, scotch and vicodin! :lol:

BroncoNut
11-29-2010, 03:32 PM
You sound more like me nut, I grew up in Denver...I still remember how I felt after getting laid, I thought I was a pimp...lol.

Most memorable thing that happened during high school was when our football team was playing Denver North, it was called off after a fight broke out in the 3rd quarter, coaches were fist-fighting coaches and players were knocking the shit out of one another. It made the news, stating that a gang fight broke loose during a high school football game. And then we had to run laps on Saturday for fighting...I remember being pissed, cause the coaches fought as well and their asses were not running with us!

that is hilarious. (the football fighting part) . At least you were a jock type. I did no sports in high school. I was kinda studious for a while, but towards the end I was pretty much a hick or something like that.

Broncolingus
11-29-2010, 03:33 PM

I guess we could talk about that (angry masturbation) instead now...

...just sayin.

BroncoNut
11-29-2010, 03:33 PM
I guess we could talk about that (angry masturbation) instead now...

...just sayin.

alright back to topic. I hope that McDaniels gets fired soon

BroncoWave
11-29-2010, 03:37 PM

that's kinda me too. I don't expect us to win and if we do, it doesn't really matter that much :couch: I know that is bad.

Same. I haven't actually been upset about a loss since the Jets game back in week 5. Since then I've just been like "meh, whatever" this is a lost season anyway. At this point, the only 2 things I really care about are seeing Lloyd go for the receiving title, Orton go for the passing title, and possibly getting to see a little more Tebow.

topscribe
11-29-2010, 03:38 PM
I am looking forward to that...I just hope I'm cheering during and after the game.

You're such a classy lady that it hurts me to hope that you're not. But I do.

However, since the Broncos are effectively out of it, I hope you will be
cheering for a Super Bowl team this year! :beer:

-----

topscribe
11-29-2010, 03:41 PM
So is whiskey, brandy, tequila, vodka, scotch and vicodin! :lol:

Nope . . . just beer for me.

8i5k4I1AOEI

-----

Italianmobstr7
11-29-2010, 03:43 PM

I feel almost exactly the same. If we were 0-11 and not 3-8, I'd still look forward to watching my Broncos play every Sunday. We only get to see them between 20-25 games a year if we go to the Super Bowl (including preseason). I love to and can't wait to watch every one from beginning to end no matter how bad it may be. I was in the stands for the Raiders game. Spent nearly $1,000 on the trip. I was there at the stadium 3 hours before game time, and I didn't leave until the scoreboard read 00:00. Someone said it earlier in the thread but I feel the same way. Seasons like this make me really cherish the seasons when we're good.

Broncolingus
11-29-2010, 03:46 PM
alright back to topic. I hope that McDaniels gets fired soon

"I don't think anything can stop that now, Luke..."

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080715/Death-scenes/Star-Wars-Darth-unmask_l.jpg

:D

Denver Native (Carol)
11-29-2010, 03:46 PM

I'm nearly there . . .

-----

In a way, I am surprised you say this. Both you and I go back to when the Broncos first started. Back then, we did not count wins and losses - we just were so very thankful that we had the Broncos, and they were our team - win or lose, and we both know that for so many years, we watched more losses than wins. I guess that is one of the reasons that I am not as upset as some with what is happening now, as I have been there - done that - sometimes worse than it is now.

topscribe
11-29-2010, 03:48 PM
In a way, I am surprised you say this. Both you and I go back to when the Broncos first started. Back then, we did not count wins and losses - we just were so very thankful that we had the Broncos, and they were our team - win or lose, and we both know that for so many years, we watched more losses than wins. I guess that is one of the reasons that I am not as upset as some with what is happening now, as I have been there - done that - sometimes worse than it is now.

As I posted elsewhere, I didn't have memories of good times back then, In
effect, we didn't know any differently. It's not tough to find yourself at the
bottom of the mountain when you've never been to the top.

We've been to the top . . .

-----

Dzone
11-29-2010, 03:56 PM
I keep watching every play of every game. It is painful at times. I guess I keep hoping to see someone make a great play or something. I dont like Mcdaniels and wish he would be fired today, but I guess I will keep watching the games. So its KC this week? At Arrowhead? Oh man, I think we can beat them...lol

Lancane
11-29-2010, 03:57 PM

That's all fine and dandy Carol, but let us be frank...did you ever think you'd see the day when a coach would make 3 million a year and some of the players making near triple that? It's big business, it ruined some parts of the game, IE the penalties for certain tackles, blocks and hits, hell...quarterbacks are more protected then some government officials are; look at how free agency as changed the game, it use to be a coach actually did just as his title suggested, now it's completely different.

It's all about winning now, that's where the money is, and the league knows this...but I want the Broncos to remain in Denver, it would not be the same if we suddenly had the Pasadena Broncos...which would be alright in Kroenke's eyes, he'd likely move the Rams here. But what about in our eyes...it just wouldn't be the same. Winning is in the end the only thing that matters.

BroncoNut
11-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Personally Top, I think you should be ashamed of yourself.

I like being an underdog, so this doesn't bother me too much. I think it's almost kinda fun in a way, but it does suck that right now there doesn't seem to be any hope. Of course that will just be temporary like everything else in life.

silkamilkamonico
11-29-2010, 03:58 PM
It's ok, we only have 5 more weeks of this garbage, and then we don;t have to watch another Bronco game for an entire year.....maybe 2 if we're lucky.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-29-2010, 04:00 PM
That's all fine and dandy Carol, but let us be frank...did you ever think you'd see the day when a coach would make 3 million a year and some of the players making near triple that? It's big business, it ruined some parts of the game, IE the penalties for certain tackles, blocks and hits, hell...quarterbacks are more protected then some government officials are; look at how free agency as changed the game, it use to be a coach actually did just as his title suggested, now it's completely different.

It's all about winning now, that's where the money is, and the league knows this...but I want the Broncos to remain in Denver, it would not be the same if we suddenly had the Pasadena Broncos...which would be alright in Kroenke's eyes, he'd likely move the Rams here. But what about in our eyes...it just wouldn't be the same. Winning is in the end the only thing that matters.

Not sure where anything in my post equates to what you are posting here :confused:

KCL
11-29-2010, 04:02 PM
You're such a classy lady that it hurts me to hope that you're not. But I do.

However, since the Broncos are effectively out of it, I hope you will be
cheering for a Super Bowl team this year! :beer:

-----

Wow...no kidding??...I wish the Chiefs could go to the SB this season but I doubt it...but it's a nice thought anyhow!!!!

MasterShake
11-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Getting back to my original thoughts, I guess I need to add this. I hate when the Broncos lose, and depending on the loss it can take me a few hours to get over it. But even yesterday when I was pacing around trying to lift the fog, my wife asked what the score was at the end. When I told her they almost came back and "only" lost by three, she simply said, "Wow, weren't they down by about 20? At least they came back."

I know it sounds stupid, but that little bit of perspective from her (she could give a crap about football except for the fact she knows I love the Broncos) put me in a better mood. I went outside to take my dogs for a walk and the snow was fluttering about lightly as the few leaves left around rustled in the breeze. I let out a big sigh and filled the cold air with my warm breath and I felt good again. I was in my element. My little bit of heaven that comes but for a few months each year.

The fall has always been my favorite time. Halloween, my birthday, the cool weather, and most of all football. I can not control anything about the game and I am at peace with that. A dropped pass is not my fault. A lost fumble sucks but I've never tried to run with a football as some 200lb guy drags me down and punches it away. Some douchebag taping a walkthrough in London has no bearing on me.

I do firmly believe however that if I wear the right combination of Jersey or Sweater, my team will have a better chance that day. If I lean to the right of the left, that Matt Prater field goal will clear the uprights. And if I scream at the top of my lungs at my TV or at Mile High Kyle Orton will hear me when I tell him Brandon Lloyd is wide open and he will hit him on a strike.

I guess the reason I am at peace and have been all season is becuase I never cared about the stuff surrounding football as much as I do the stuff that IS football. I don't watch the Draft, could care less about fantasy football, and can not tell you who our conditioning coach is or if we have one. I am here for the show, and the only guys I ever looked up to on that show have had a horse on their helmet.

We are not gonna win the Super Bowl every year, and I know we will never have a bad season like this again anytime soon (I hope). All I know is that good or bad, sun or snow, its football season and my boys need me just like I need them. Its not about the playoffs or Super Bowl anymore. Its about football, win or lose.

KCL
11-29-2010, 04:07 PM

Once upon a time players had to get jobs in the off season...kind of hard to imagine that but that's what I've been told...they sure didn't sign the huge contracts like they do now.

BroncoNut
11-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Once upon a time players had to get jobs in the off season...kind of hard to imagine that but that's what I've been told...they sure didn't sign the huge contracts like they do now.

it is such huge business. it's crazy to think a football player in the NFL would have to get offseason work. I don't remember those days.

Lancane
11-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Not sure where anything in my post equates to what you are posting here :confused:

It does, what I was trying to insinuate is that at that time, it was a whole different game, fans loved having a team no matter the circumstances. Otherwise football, pro football would have never lasted as long as it had...but that in the end, times change, and the fans have to follow that trend.

And when the trend changes, from being mediocre to being one of the most dominant teams in history, only to sink to the bottom once again...then you realize those changes, such as the examples I gave. We have become spoiled Carol, in many ways, not as fans but as a culture and as a society. Look how different it is now to how it was then, sometimes you have to go with the flow, because ultimately your still apart of it. And as fans we have to wish and hope for this team to win and be successful again, or maybe just as you mentioned 'that you were happy to have a team here', we might not have one...and that lays heavily on us as well.

Northman
11-29-2010, 04:16 PM
Its not about the playoffs or Super Bowl anymore. Its about football, win or lose.

No offense Shake but i sincerely hope the players on this current team does not feel this way. Shannon Sharpe said it best a few years ago. Every year while he was there it was about the SB and nothing more. He said not getting there was considered a failure in his eyes and i agree with him. I want players who WANT to win and not just be ho-hum about it. Simply going out and earning a paycheck is not what the fans want and yes, without us they are not getting paid like millionaires.

KCL
11-29-2010, 04:16 PM
It does, what I was trying to insinuate is that at that time, it was a whole different game, fans loved having a team no matter the circumstances. Otherwise football, pro football would have never lasted as long as it had...but that in the end, times change, and the fans have to follow that trend.

And when the trend changes, from being mediocre to being one of the most dominant teams in history, only to sink to the bottom once again...then you realize those changes, such as the examples I gave. We have become spoiled Carol, in many ways, not as fans but as a culture and as a society. Look how different it is now to how it was then, sometimes you have to go with the flow, because ultimately your still apart of it. And as fans we have to wish and hope for this team to win and be successful again, or maybe just as you mentioned 'that you were happy to have a team here', we might not have one...and that ways heavily on us as well.

I understand what you're saying.When my husband was a kid his dad and him had season tickets to the Chiefs when they shared a stadium with the A's in downtown Kansas City.

He said that was back when the Chiefs were a good team with a great coach in Hank Stram...I was around during those days but was a youngster and wasn't thinking about football then.My dad and my brother watched the Chiefs every week.

My husband watches but he said it isn't anything like it was back in the day when he was a kid and the Chiefs went to 2 Super Bowls and won one of them.He said they're still rebuilding and have been since 1969...:lol:

Bronco Bible
11-29-2010, 04:24 PM
It's ok, we only have 5 more weeks of this garbage, and then we don;t have to watch another Bronco game for an entire year.....maybe 2 if we're lucky.

And we will be chomping at the the bit for the season to start.

Superchop 7
11-29-2010, 04:25 PM
The karma Josh brought to this town.......it's no wonder.

MasterShake
11-29-2010, 04:29 PM
No offense Shake but i sincerely hope the players on this current team does not feel this way. Shannon Sharpe said it best a few years ago. Every year while he was there it was about the SB and nothing more. He said not getting there was considered a failure in his eyes and i agree with him. I want players who WANT to win and not just be ho-hum about it. Simply going out and earning a paycheck is not what the fans want and yes, without us they are not getting paid like millionaires.

I think you missed my point. The players and coaches get paid to go to the Super Bowl and make the Pro Bowl. I don't get paid to do anything, so I am not affected on any deep level by a game win or lose. I admire the beauty that is football season, and the Broncos are the team I am stuck with and will stick with. I hate to see them struggle as much as anyone, but in the grand scheme of things I'll take a bad football season over a good baseball season anyday. Though I do like the Rockies, too. :D

Northman
11-29-2010, 04:34 PM
I think you missed my point. The players and coaches get paid to go to the Super Bowl and make the Pro Bowl. I don't get paid to do anything, so I am not affected on any deep level by a game win or lose. I admire the beauty that is football season, and the Broncos are the team I am stuck with and will stick with. I hate to see them struggle as much as anyone, but in the grand scheme of things I'll take a bad football season over a good baseball season anyday. Though I do like the Rockies, too. :D

Although i know we dont get paid to run the team i know as a fan im emotionally invested in them so when we arent winning im bummed and not a very happy camper. I guess thats the difference between you and i and although i can still enjoy the football season as a whole when my team doesnt play well i take it personally. I cant help it because i have so much invested in them emotionally. And i want the players who play for them to care just as much.

Lancane
11-29-2010, 04:40 PM
The karma Josh brought to this town.......it's no wonder.

Good to see you Chop...:beer:

MasterShake
11-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Although i know we dont get paid to run the team i know as a fan im emotionally invested in them so when we arent winning im bummed and not a very happy camper. I guess thats the difference between you and i and although i can still enjoy the football season as a whole when my team doesnt play well i take it personally. I cant help it because i have so much invested in them emotionally. And i want the players who play for them to care just as much.

Thats why I felt better yesterday after my wife pointed out that they fought back. Its nice to know that despite everything, the team has some teeth left to spit out after getting punched. But I understand how you can be pissed.

arapaho2
11-29-2010, 05:16 PM
...we used to talk about football in Broncos talk?

We used to come here after the game to talk about a great catch, an outstanding run, a sack, a pick, even a bad call by the refs.

I miss those days.

:bandit:

remember when the broncos werent considered one of the leagues worst teams..i do

sneakers
11-29-2010, 05:59 PM
I get excited when I first wake up at 3pm and I run to my computer to find the stream....just not as much as a few years ago

Slick
11-29-2010, 06:05 PM
remember when the broncos werent considered one of the leagues worst teams..i do

I do too 'Rap. Don't think I've forgotten. Just because I'm not throwing temper tantrums after every game doesn't mean I don't care.

Not much a dive instructor in Mexico can do about the sorry state of the Broncos right now.

claymore
11-29-2010, 06:18 PM
I do too 'Rap. Don't think I've forgotten. Just because I'm not throwing temper tantrums after every game doesn't mean I don't care.

Not much a dive instructor in Mexico can do about the sorry state of the Broncos right now.

Its like the tornado already passed by my trailer, now im just watching it tear up another trailer park down the street... In complete awe of the destruction.

arapaho2
11-29-2010, 06:43 PM

i've grown past the tantrums slick...now into a scary type of calm reserve