View Full Version : Bill Cowher Says Spygate Truth Not Told, Fine Too Lenient

cardoso
11-29-2010, 01:40 AM
Fire Josh McDaniels: Bill Cowher Says Spygate Truth Not Told, Fine Too Lenient
By
Mihir Bhagat
on November 28, 2010

12,935 reads

Super Bowl-winning head coach Bill Cowher had his fair share to say about the recent Denver Broncos Spygate incident.

Steve Scarnecchia, the team's director in video operations, was fired for illegally videotaping the 49ers walkthrough last month before their game in London. Note, the 49ers won the game 24-16.

Nonetheless, Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels and the team were each fined $50,000 for the incident.

Cowher is skeptical that McDaniels and another higher members of the organization weren't involved.

“I know they say he acted independently. I don’t agree with that,” Cowher said. He then explained how everybody must report to higher authority in the NFL today.

He also went on to say how he felt that the standard should have been raised after the Patriots Spygate scandal, and that their fine was too lenient.

This is sure to be an ongoing discussion, and I personally have to side with Cowher, especially in regards to the severity of the penalty.

Also, I firmly believe that Josh McDaniels should be fired at the end of this season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/528667-nfl-week-12-news-fantasy-injury-stats-and-around-the-league-updates/entry/31825-fire-josh-mcdaniels-bill-cowher-says-spygate-truth-not-told-fine-too-lenient

camdisco24
11-29-2010, 01:46 AM
ummm... you do realize that bleacher report articles have very little credibility... and this one is so horribly written I can hardly help but laugh...

PLEASE find credible sources if you're going to post articles.

That being said, I dont think anyone truly believes this is the end of the Spygate II story... but we'll have to see.

Ravage!!!
11-29-2010, 01:47 AM
Saw another guy after the SUnday night game, in interview, say the same thing. Says that its pretty ridiculous that the Broncos coach got such a small slap considering the rules that are set in place, and thats its obvious that if it wasn't brought forward by theBroncos front office, that this would have been buried by McDaniels...... which is exactly what McDaniels TRIED to do.

So its pretty common knowledge out there, with people in the know, that McDaniels absolutely was given a light penalty and got away WAY too easy (their words, not mine).

This is the reports that are being spoken across the nation, by several people that are well respected in the business. People that know how things work behind the scenes of the NFL offices and media relations. There isn't any more than can be done against the Broncos or McD, but these comments MUST be heard by Bowlen and has to be embarrassing to know the perception of our organization and coach by those reporting to the public.

Northman
11-29-2010, 01:47 AM
Florio touched on this as well tonight saying most of the commentators, former coaches, etc thought the penalty was too leinant and more should of been done.

robert ethan
11-29-2010, 01:55 AM
Wow, you guys are really bringing out the heavy guns. Some dweeb from Bleacher Report, that mealy mouthed little rat Florio, and Bill "took me 15 years to win a SB" Cowher. Did they have an extra seat for his jaw?:elefant:

Northman
11-29-2010, 01:56 AM
Comments by King (video)King's Notebook: McDaniels is a goner
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/22825103/vp/40411398#40411398

Comments by Florio (video)Fines don't go far enough
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/22825103/vp/40411582#40411582

Northman
11-29-2010, 01:58 AM
Wow, you guys are really bringing out the heavy guns. Some dweeb from Bleacher Report, that mealy mouthed little rat Florio, and Bill "took me 15 years to win a SB" Cowher. Did they have an extra seat for his jaw?:elefant:

Why dont you tell us about our top 10 defense again. I always get a kick out of that. :lol:

Ravage!!!
11-29-2010, 01:59 AM

Yeah.. someone that wants to insult everyone else, really holds clout :coffee:

robert ethan
11-29-2010, 02:03 AM
Florio is most famous for declaring Terry Bradshaw dead a few years ago. That is the highlight of his career.

Ravage!!!
11-29-2010, 02:10 AM
O.K., Brandon Lloyd is a jerk for not accepting his share of responsibility for the season, and will be one until he starts criticizing other people on the team behind their backs.

Happy now?:salute:

I have no idea what your point is with this post. But if the only comments you have in response to any/every person ( in the media) that criticizes McD is to insult them with your childish comments, then you've already shown that you've lost the discussion and are purely doing your best to attack the messenger.

People all over th eNFL... know what a good coach Cowher is. His opinion and experience in the NFL actually DOES hold clout despite your ridicule.

robert ethan
11-29-2010, 02:38 AM
I have no idea what your point is with this post. But if the only comments you have in response to any/every person ( in the media) that criticizes McD is to insult them with your childish comments, then you've already shown that you've lost the discussion and are purely doing your best to attack the messenger.

People all over th eNFL... know what a good coach Cowher is. His opinion and experience in the NFL actually DOES hold clout despite your ridicule.

Actually that post was meant for another thread. I'm fighting the battle on too many fronts. I loath Bleacher Report, and I loath Mike Florio, but that was the case long before I came here. The knives were our for Cowher lots of times during his tenure in Pittsburgh. He wasn't liked or admired as a coach until he'd been around for at least a decade. So you want some guy coming on here and insisting that McDaniels be fired because Cowher exercises his Jaw in front of the cameras (for several grand per word) in a negative fashion? You throw out crap and some of it is going to blow back on you. All of what Cowher said was purely speculative. Even though both the Broncos and the NFL investigated and interviewed everyone involved there was ABSOLUTELY NO SUGGESTION that Josh ordered the illegal filming.

Cowher for that matter was from the era when (as numerous individuals have stated) "EVERYONE DID IT". So, Bill's huge nose is out of joint because he SUSPECTS someone of doing what he probably did ON A REGULAR MATTER OF FACT BASIS, when he was in the same position. Whatever respect I may have had for him is gone.

BCJ
11-29-2010, 03:20 AM
On above it doesnt matter. The rules have been set since Spygate happen during the SB Pats vs Rams. You have a guy that worked in the same dept. the first time it happened now working for McDaniels. Why would you hire him with the baggage? He then decides to do it again! McD hired him and now he should face the consequences which have been in question of is it enough (fine)? Many dont think so and I think we got off easy. We didnt lose draft picks which will be huge for us. As for BR, I do agree with you on it. BR should be opinion only and that is deemed very loosely.

Bosco
11-29-2010, 04:29 AM
More idiocy. The league has issued their ruling and doled out the corresponding punishments. Unless new information is brought forward, the matter is officially close.

Tned
11-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Comments by King (video)King's Notebook: McDaniels is a goner
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/22825103/vp/40411398#40411398

What King is saying is essentially all I've been saying about firing McDaniels. I'm not saying it shoudln't be done at the end of the season, just that there isn't an upside to doing it now. Let's see if he can turn it around and get the ship righted.

Nomad
11-29-2010, 08:35 AM
More idiocy. The league has issued their ruling and doled out the corresponding punishments. Unless new information is brought forward, the matter is officially close.

You're right!! I despise this crap and agree with the former coaches and players who have actual experience in the NFL, but there isn't shit I can do about it and there isn't shit the league or Bowlen is going to do about it any further. I said my piece about it Saturday and now all I can do is move forward!

WTE
11-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Of course the fine was too lenient. The league doesn't want this to become a big issue.

Just look at the timing of disclosing this controversy. They didn't want to disclose prior to Thanksgiving and have this controversy affect the traditional Turkey Day Games. Disclosing the day after on a Friday would be too obvious because everyone releases unpleasant info on Friday's after 4:00.

So they chose to release the info on a Saturday when everyone is busy at the malls or paying attention to College Football Championship Saturday. And the info was released mighty tidy. First the report is released. Then the NFL confirms it and states a $100,000 fine. Then the Broncos and NFL have a joint conference call, then Josh issues a statement. All done within a few short hours. How nice.

Besides PFT, this story isn't getting a huge amount of media scrutiny and that's exactly what the NFL wanted.

Dzone
11-29-2010, 09:24 AM
The media is eating this story up. Its on every coaches show, football night in America, morning talk shows, on every website there are blogs and articles. Everyone associated with the NFL seems to have an opinion on this.

Tned
11-29-2010, 10:08 AM
The media is eating this story up. Its on every coaches show, football night in America, morning talk shows, on every website there are blogs and articles. Everyone associated with the NFL seems to have an opinion on this.

Of course they do. It's a big story, why would you be surprised it's a topic if discussion? :confused:

dunk7
11-29-2010, 10:45 AM
What King is saying is essentially all I've been saying about firing McDaniels. I'm not saying it shoudln't be done at the end of the season, just that there isn't an upside to doing it now. Let's see if he can turn it around and get the ship righted.

Well, I think there is an upside IF there is someone internally that they'd like to "try out" as coach, similar to the approach of the Vikings and Cowboys. Judging by our staff though, I'm guessing there isn't anyone who's even on the radar.

turftoad
11-29-2010, 11:01 AM

I think most of the fan base is past that. They want him gone and gone now. They don't want hin in the wheelhouse or in charge of the ship at all.

Northman
11-29-2010, 11:18 AM

My only problem with that is i dont trust the guy. Sure, i would like the team to be heading in the right direction but i no longer want this guy as the HC of the Denver Broncos so in that aspect i dont want the team to do him any favors. The guy is poison in my mind and needs to go regardless of how we finish the season.

Cugel
11-30-2010, 12:49 PM
I think what bothers me the most is idiots who leap to attack the messenger "it's not a credible news organization." :coffee:

Well, how about USA Today? Cowher's comments were on Football Night In America and were seen by millions nationwide.

Cowher, now a CBS analyst and a former Super Bowl-winning coach with the Pittsburgh Steelers, questioned whether McDaniels and others in the organization might be more culpable.

"I know they say he acted independently. I don't agree with that," Cowher said on "The NFL Today", "because I think in every room, in every building, the dynamics, you always have to answer to a superior. I have a hard time believing this was done independently."

Fellow CBS analyst Boomer Esiason added that the illegal recording -- the latest problem in the Broncos' 11-15 start of the McDaniels era -- threw the coach's future into doubt.

"You put that on the fact they're 5-15 the last 20, the fact Josh McDaniels got rid of (Jay) Cutler, (Brandon) Marshall, (Tony) Sheffler and (Peyton) Hillis, also got blown out at home by the Oakland Raiders, and on top of that drafted Tim Tebow in the first round, you really have to question the decision making of one Josh McDaniels."

Cowher said that the $50,000 fine was not enough punishment for McDaniels. He said the $750,000 in fines and the loss of the first-round draft pick the New England Patriots suffered in 2007 after the Spygate scandal should have set a higher bar for the Broncos.

"It was not heavily fined enough," Cowher said. "Draft picks should have been taken away."

Right now every sports reporter in America is trying to dust off his contacts within the Broncos organization to see if he can uncover more "dirt" on Spygate II.

Since McDaniels has obviously alienated his staff there are no end of disgruntled employees ready to spread stories about him. Hence this is one story that is not going away.

People are going to comment and there will be further stories and "leaks" coming out.

Everybody that McDaniels has abused now has a means of revenge. And if they get the idea that he's going to try and "clean house" by blaming and firing THEM at season's end in a desperate attempt to save his job, then they are going to take that revenge by talking to reporters.

Cugel
11-30-2010, 12:56 PM
My only problem with that is i dont trust the guy. Sure, i would like the team to be heading in the right direction but i no longer want this guy as the HC of the Denver Broncos so in that aspect i dont want the team to do him any favors. The guy is poison in my mind and needs to go regardless of how we finish the season.

I totally agree, but Bowlen clearly doesn't. He doesn't want to admit he screwed up this badly in hiring McDaniels. He desperately wants him to turn it around to vindicate HIS, Bowlen's decision.

So, if McDaniels wins 3 of the next five games expect Bowlen to seize on that pathetic crumb (6 and 10 is good enough now?) and keep McDaniels around for another season.

Expect massive fan anger and bitter divisions to continue until he's fired though.

It would be a mistake. You look at losing franchises and that's exactly what they do. The owner hires an Eric Mangini or Romeo Crennel. He fails miserably. The fans howl for blood. The owner refuses because it would be admitting HE was at fault for hiring the guy. He brings him back for another season. The losing continues into the beginning of next season.

The fans are in open revolt. The media is brutal. He's forced to fire the coach five or 6 games into the season. Another lost and wasted year. Now you're stuck with an "interim" coach and have to wait until next year to start the rebuilding.

That's how the Lions and Browns stayed so bad for so many years.

The Glue Factory
11-30-2010, 03:04 PM
The fans are in open revolt. The media is brutal. He's forced to fire the coach five or 6 games into the season. Another lost and wasted year. Now you're stuck with an "interim" coach and have to wait until next year to start the rebuilding.

That's how the Lions and Browns stayed so bad for so many years.

I would say the reason the Lions and Browns are so bad is more than what you just stated. It's a revolving door at HC. Perennial 3 year plans. Last coach didn't make a difference so ditch him for another.

It can't really be the coach only. Look at Bellichek. Started at Cleveland of all places and goes to NE to build something good. Yet Cleveland still stinks after he's gone.

I'll say the reason for the Lions, Browns, Raiders, etc. is the owners are doing something that cripples success or aren't doing something that is leading to success. Whatever goes on at those franchises seems to have gone on at the Broncos in the past 5 years (especially the past 2+.)

For the Broncos I think that thing is Bowlen's admitted low understanding of football (which is sad considering he's owned the franchise for over 25 years!) so he has to rely on advisors to run the franchise for him. Seems like the past he had good advisors and right now he's got horrible ones. Looks like Shanahan as VP Football Ops could be the transition from one to the other.