PDA

View Full Version : Walter football predictions..

broncosinindy
09-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Jacksonville Jaguars (1-1) at Denver Broncos (2-0)
Line: Broncos by 3.5. Total: 35.5.
Walt's Projected Line (Before Week 2): Broncos -4.
Walt's Projected Line (After Week 2): Broncos -6.
Sunday, 4:05 ET - Buy Tickets

The Game. Edge: Broncos.
Injuries: JAGUARS: OUT: K Josh Scobee. BRONCOS: OUT: WR Rod Smith, DE Kenny Peterson.

Hey, Jaguars... Consider yourselves lucky. Roger Goodell was too busy this week worrying about some stupid YouTube videos Bill Belichick posted of himself to hear my new rule proposal: For any victory to count against Joey Harrington, said team must beat Harrington by 30 or more points, or keep him completely off the scoreboard. Count your lucky stars, Jacksonville. Count your lucky stars.

On the surface, it may seem odd that the Jaguars haven't been able to score consistently. David Garrard is completing 62 percent of his passes and hasn't thrown a pick yet. Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew, meanwhile, offer a nice complementary ground attack. There's apparently no reason why Jacksonville can't score more than 20 per week. So, what's going wrong? Maybe it's the fact that Dennis Northcutt, who couldn't even get on the field in Cleveland last year, is the team's leading receiver. Or maybe the offensive line's inability to pass protect (seven sacks to a mobile quarterback) or open running lanes for Taylor and Jones-Drew (3.4 yards per carry) is to blame. Whatever is wrong has a chance to go right in Denver, given that the Broncos' vastly overrated defense can neither get to the quarterback nor contain opposing ground attacks. Denver's defensive line sucks, while its secondary, save for Champ Bailey, is largely porous. I think it's safe to say that Jacksonville will finally score more than two touchdowns.

I expected Denver's defense to struggle. The ineffectiveness of the Jaguars' stop unit, on the other hand, is a complete shock to me. How are they ranked 30th against the run when they have two of the largest tackles in the NFL clogging the interior? The Broncos will zone block Jacksonville to death with Travis Henry, the league's leading rusher. Jay Cutler will once again capitalize on Henry's massive gains, locating Javon Walker and Brandon Marshall downfield. The Jaguars must contain the run if they want to win this game. If Cutler is forced to throw on obvious passing downs, Jacksonville's pass rush (nine sacks) will get to him.

The Broncos suck as a favorite, while the Jaguars thrive as a dog (see stats below). Sounds like dumb reasoning for picking the visitor, but it's one of three edges Jacksonville has going into this battle. The others can be found in the pyschology and Vegas sections.

The Psychology. Edge: Jaguars.
Yet another Emotional Win Alert for the Broncos, who beat the Raiders on a Jason Elam field goal in overtime. The Jaguars are also coming off a victory, but I don't think Jack Del Rio's too happy with a slim 13-6 victory over Joey Harrington. Jacksonville could catch Denver off guard; the latter has Indianapolis next week.

The Vegas. Edge: Jaguars.
After watching the Jaguars struggle as huge favorites, no one is going to bet on them as an underdog.

Percentage of money on Denver: 85% (8,000 bets)

The Trends. Edge: Jaguars.
Jaguars are 4-1 ATS as an underdog since 2006.
Broncos are 3-12 ATS as a favorite since 2006.
Opening Line: Broncos -3.
Opening Total: 35.5.
Weather: Partly cloudy, 74 degrees. Light wind.

Fantasy Spin.
Start Em: David Garrard, Jay Cutler, Travis Henry, Rod Smith, Brandon Marshall.
Sit Em: Both Defenses.

Prediction: Broncos 24, Jaguars 23
Jaguars +3.5 (3 Units - Money Pick)
Over 35.5 (1 Unit)

LawDog
09-20-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm guessing that not too many will follow this guy's "fantasy spin". Not that Rod Smith is a bad choice for a fantasy team, but most owners will only start players that are actually active... but what do I know?

topscribe
09-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the article.

But this guy's an idiot. Porous pass defense? 53 yards last week and some
80 or so the week before? No pass rush? Three sacks last week? This guy
must have summered with the Amish or something . . . he is talking about
last year's defense, not this year's.

This guy is in love with his own writing. But he's not good even at that. :coffee:

-----

broncosinindy
09-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the article.

But this guy's an idiot. Porous pass defense? 53 yards last week and some
80 or so the week before? No pass rush? Three sacks last week? This guy
must have summered with the Amish or something . . . he is talking about
last year's defense, not this year's.

This guy is in love with his own writing. But he's not good even at that. :coffee:

-----

Yeah i wasnt overly impressed. although he has us winning so:) i got bored and decided to share. seems he is really negative on a lot of teams

UnderArmour
09-20-2007, 09:24 PM
The Game. Edge: Broncos.
Injuries: JAGUARS: OUT: K Josh Scobee. BRONCOS: OUT: WR Rod Smith, DE Kenny Peterson.

Fantasy Spin.
Start Em: David Garrard, Jay Cutler, Travis Henry, Rod Smith, Brandon Marshall.
Sit Em: Both Defenses.

Wait what?