PDA

View Full Version : Article: Brandon and Cutler

WARHORSE
08-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Nice read.

DENVER (AP) -- Brandon Marshall (http://javascript<b></b>:fantasyPopup('nfl', 7868)) has spent the summer giving quarterback Jay Cutler (http://javascript<b></b>:fantasyPopup('nfl', 7760)) and the rest of the Denver Broncos (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/broncos/index.html) a glimpse of what they'll soon be sorely missing.
The standout receiver who was suspended for the season's first two or three games for violating the league's personal conduct policy has made spectacular catches in each of the Broncos' three exhibition games. He had a diving touchdown catch against Dallas last week and a juggling 49-yard TD grab against Green Bay on Friday night.

"Of course we're going to miss the guy," Cutler said. "He makes big play after big play."
Thinking not of the starting line but the finish, the Broncos didn't hesitate to highlight Marshall in the preseason even though he had drawn a three-game suspension that could be trimmed to two if he gets counseling. Marshall hopes to have commissioner Roger Goodell hear his appeal of the punishment next week.
"I said we're going to treat it just like somebody sprained his ankle the week before we played," coach Mike Shanahan said of the Marshall Plan be began crafting when his talented but troubled playmaker was called into Goodell's office in mid-July.
"Brandon is going to play a lot of games for us this season."
And Marshall isn't backing off his prediction of a 100-catch season and maybe the Pro Bowl just because he's going to be watching the first couple of weeks from Cutler's couch, crashing out at his quarterback's pad so they can go over things on their own at night while Marshall's banned from team headquarters.
"I'm trying to break records this year," Marshall boasted.
Even though his season will be 14 games at best?
"Yeah."
Marshall caught 102 passes for 1,325 yards last season as he emerged as Cutler's top target.
Despite missing most of the team's offseason work after he suffered a gash on his right forearm while horsing around, Marshall has honed his connection with Cutler even more over the last four weeks.
The rhythm they've displayed is a big reason the coaching staff has opened up the play book this season. Shanahan said Cutler is digesting the offense like a quarterback with twice as much NFL experience as the third-year pro he is.
Marshall said the duo has made the most improvement on "the deep ball and press coverage, and that's what I worked on hard this offseason before I hurt my arm. I told Jay that if we improve that in our game, deep ball and press coverage, we're going to be pretty tough."
They displayed that emerging toughness Friday night.
With Charles Woodson on the sideline, cornerback Tramon Williams lined up in single coverage on Marshall with no safety help over the top. Cutler changed the play at the line of scrimmage and hit Marshall with a 49-yard touchdown pass down the left sideline.
"Me and B., we got some things going," Cutler said. "He understands coverages, kind of like I do, and we got a good feel when he's going to be 1-on-1. We're going to take some shots if that's going to be the case.
"I mean, if they want to press him up and start jamming him and play nobody over the top, that's what you're going to get. You're going to get some deep balls with us. He's hard to stop."
Cutler's first throw to Marshall in single coverage was actually underthrown, but Williams was flagged for a 31-yard pass interference penalty, then lined up in single coverage again on the very next snap.
This time, Marshall, whose 22-yard catch set up a field goal on Denver's first possession, hauled in the deep pass but not before he bobbled it twice, then held on as he trotted across the goal line with one of the best plays of this NFL preseason.
"I wanted to kiss him, man," teammate Andre Hall (http://javascript<b></b>:fantasyPopup('nfl', 8205)) said. "He's amazing, man. Brandon's the guy." And they're sure going to miss him.

elsid13
08-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Nice article. A very unreported story last year in ESPN the MAG, was about the preparation and film study Cutler and Marshall do together. The story said something like that they spent hours going over plays and telling each other what they were thinking and looking at when the made that play and critiquing each performace on the field. It that bond that going to make them special players in Denver.

SR
08-23-2008, 04:14 PM
The thoughts of what these two will do to defenses for years to come, providing Marshall stays out of trouble, makes me smile.