PDA

View Full Version : Broncos report: Dumervil, Manuel need hand surgery etc.

nevcraw
08-23-2008, 08:30 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/aug/22/broncos-report-offensive-line-getting-younger/

Broncos report: Dumervil, Manuel need hand surgery
By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Friday, August 22, 2008

The Broncos came away from Friday night's preseason loss to the Packers with a few more players sporting a few more bandages and now are faced with the prospect of hoping two defensive starters can be ready for the regular-season opener in Oakland.

Safety Marquand Manuel and defensive end Elvis Dumervil are scheduled to have surgery this morning. Manuel fractured his right thumb playing special teams in the second half while Dumervil dislocated and fractured a finger on his right hand in the first half.

"Man, I'm fine. It's one of those freak things that happen," Manuel said. "I was trying to make a block on kickoff return and the guy spun away from me, and rotated this way and fell. It was a freak accident.

"I just told them to snap it into place. It didn't hurt. It was one of those things where you know you broke it, but I was fine."

Dumervil said there was "no way" he would miss the Sept. 8 game in Oakland.

For both players, the determining factor for playing against the Raiders will be if the surgical incisions are healed enough to allow them to play. If so, the injured areas can be protected and the two would be on the field against the Raiders.

Backup quarterback Patrick Ramsey suffered an injured right arm - he had several scrapes near his elbow - after taking a big hit and was having difficulty gripping the ball.

"I think, right now, I'm going to be fine," Ramsey said. "I just couldn't hang onto the ball, grip it, to throw like I would have needed to. If it doesn't get any worse I should be OK, or at least I feel that way right now." Ramsey will be evaluated more today.

Defensive end Paul Carrington also left the game with a calf injury and was wearing a wrap on his leg as he left the stadium.

Making strides

At one point, Domonique Foxworth appeared to be running away in his battle with Karl Paymah for the starting nickel-back job.

But Paymah has come on of late, perhaps turning the corner during the joint workouts with the Dallas Cowboys, and was in three-cornerback sets extensively Friday with the first unit instead of Foxworth.

"It's about what you can do now. And it's not always the best player that plays, it's who's playing the best," said Paymah, adding he felt "flat" Friday. "We're both talented. And they're going to go with whoever's quickest and strongest. That's what we've got to realize."

Paymah admitted he started camp slowly, adapting to the new defensive scheme but has been more comfortable in recent weeks.

"It's more mental," he said. "We've got new stuff we have to pick up real quick. But once you get into the swing of things and start to learn the defense, then you're just out there reacting and being an athlete and everything slows down."

Not the Marshall plan

The 49-yard TD reception by Brandon Marshall in the second quarter came after batting the ball twice in the air, then gathering it in with his right hand.

"When you make plays like that you don't really even know what's going on. You kind of black out a little bit," he said. "The only thing going through my head was, 'Catch the ball. Catch the ball. Get in the end zone.' "

Marshall was in single press coverage with Packers cornerback Tramon Williams in the first quarter, but quarterback Jay Cutler didn't look the receiver's way. But Marshall drew a 31-yard interference penalty on the snap preceding his score.

"We didn't miss it the second time," he said.

Wait and see on Nalen

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan characterized center Tom Nalen's surgery on his left knee this past week "a success."

"(He had) loose bodies in there, they cleaned it out," Shanahan said. "They felt very positive with the clean out. We'll just have to wait and see how long it takes."

We're gelling

One of the more surprising statistics in three preseason games is that the first-team offensive line didn't allow a sack, since no lineman finished last season in the position he's currently playing.

"Having a mobile quarterback definitely helps," right tackle Ryan Harris said. "But we definitely take the positives out of it."

Numbers game

9points accounted for by former University of Colorado kicker Mason Crosby. The second-year Packers kicker connected on field goals of 44 and 46 yards and converted all three of his extra- point attempts.

Etc.

* Rosters league-wide have to be to 75 players by Tuesday, so the Broncos will have to release five players to get under that mark. Team officials will discuss the roster moves in-house this weekend and Monday morning are expected to inform the players who will be released. Rosters then have to be to 53 players for the regular season by Saturday, Aug. 30.

* Matt Prater finally made his first field goal, a 40-yard attempt to cap Denver's 12-play, opening drive. The Broncos kicker had made three attempts in both of Denver's previous preseason games. But on both occasions he'd misfired on his opening try - a 30-yarder wide right at Houston and a 49-yarder vs. Dallas that sailed wide left.

* In perhaps his final audition for the starting middle linebacker job, Nate Webster had three tackles, including one for loss, in two quarters. He didn't play in nickel sets. "I think I did good, but there's always room to get better," said Webster, who's in competition with Niko Koutouvides. "I missed a couple tackles. I'm tough on myself. As a defense, that's one area we could improve on is tackling. We left a couple tackles out there that should have been made."

* The Broncos held out linebacker Boss Bailey (right ankle), tight end Daniel Graham (hamstring) and running back Anthony Alridge (hamstring) because of injuries.

Subscribe to the Rocky Mountain News

BigDaddyBronco
08-23-2008, 08:34 AM
That sucks.

Doom uses his hands well on the pass rush to get around the LT's. He might need to learn the "club" move.

SR
08-23-2008, 08:46 AM
I think they'll both be alright. The battle on D that is interesting for me is the nickel CB with Paymah and Foxy. I'd like to see Foxy get the spot, but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. They'll both get tons of playing time next week, so we'll see.

Buff
08-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Paymah looked horrible last night. Bad technique, missed tackles, the penalty in the endzone. I sure as hell hope he doesn't become our nickel corner. I'd rather see Jack Williams personally.

hamrob
08-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Foxworth picked up...right where he left off against Dallas. "Toasted" time and time again. I don't think the kid knows how to prevent a reception.

broncosfanscott
08-23-2008, 08:33 PM
I am sure that both of them will be fine and I love the comments by Dumervil that there is "no way" he is going to miss the opener against the Faiders. We can't afford to lose him for anything.

ktrain
08-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Foxworth picked up...right where he left off against Dallas. "Toasted" time and time again. I don't think the kid knows how to prevent a reception.

Paymah looked horrible last night. Bad technique, missed tackles, the penalty in the endzone. I sure as hell hope he doesn't become our nickel corner. I'd rather see Jack Williams personally.

Guys, I will qualify this comment with a disclaimer that I have not yet seen the GB game, however, it sounds like we had absolutely no pass rush last night. Even pro bowl DB's look like crap when they are forced to cover for 4-5 seconds due to no pass rush. Could this be the real cause of them looking pretty bad?

BeefStew25
08-23-2008, 08:59 PM
The guy opposite Champ will always suck. It is a fact of life, and Champ is Mrs. Garrett.

ApaOps5
08-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Its not just the time in the pocket. Dre Bly likes to play about 20 yds off his guy it seems and so they just cut off their routes and dink and dunk down the field.

BANJOPICKER1
08-23-2008, 09:54 PM
I think the D still is not Gelling,give it a week or so!

GGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!

Broncos Mtnman
08-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Guys, I will qualify this comment with a disclaimer that I have not yet seen the GB game, however, it sounds like we had absolutely no pass rush last night. Even pro bowl DB's look like crap when they are forced to cover for 4-5 seconds due to no pass rush. Could this be the real cause of them looking pretty bad?

Definitely a major contributor to the problem.

Broncos Mtnman
08-23-2008, 11:00 PM

Foxy was worse.

Personally, I think Paymah did a pretty good job and will press Foxy for the starting job.

Broncos Mtnman
08-23-2008, 11:01 PM

I agree 100%

:beer:

Superchop 7
08-24-2008, 12:46 AM
I think that Foxy is best in zone coverage and Paymah is best in man.

The ref "was" allowing alot of hand fighting. (then threw the flag on Paymah in the end zone)

Handing the team the ball on the 1 yard line is too much of a gift, they should give them a first down at the 10 (or half the distance inside the 20) and let them earn their points.

GEM
08-25-2008, 09:21 AM

That's what I was thinking as I read that tidbit on him....what game were they watching because after that performance, I'd let him go over Jack Williams. :coffee:

BroncoWave
08-25-2008, 09:28 AM

I've been saying this since the AFCCG in 06. I've never understood the love some Broncos fans have for Foxworthless because I've never seen special from him.