PDA

View Full Version : IAOFM - Josh McDaniels Would Make a Bad Sicilian

itsalloverfatman
11-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Josh McDaniels Would Make a Bad Sicilian

TJ "The Dude" Johnson Nov 27, 2010 3:00 PM

I'm done with Josh McDaniels.
Not because he's failed to draft any defensive linemen with the 19 picks he's had in the last two years; not because his first meaningful move as coach of the Broncos was to cut the long snapper; not because 33-year old guys throwing down f-bombs on national television fail to motivate grown men in their mid-20s and 30s. I'll even leave the record-setting blowouts aside for the moment.
I'm done with him because he apparently hasn't watched any of the Godfather movies.
Had he, he would have realized that in the Costra Nostra of the old sicilian mafia, or, let's face it, in the coaching tree of Bill Belichick, you don't rat out anyone in the "organization."
The Sicilians have a term for this: Omertá, which means maintaining a code of silence.
To betray Omertá is to invite retribution of all kinds--Peyton Hillis as MVP, Jay Cutler getting into the playoffs, bloody horse heads in the bed, and more.
And you thought the Curse of Brett Kern was bad.
Today Josh McDaniels is getting a lot of credit for turning in Broncos director of video operations Steve Scarnecchia to Broncos officials and to the NFL. As we all know by now, Scarnecchia was found guilty of videotaping a 49ers walkthrough in London. Apparently, you're not supposed to be doing that sort of thing.
Who knew?
Oh, that's right. We all did--your dog, your mother-in-law, and even the original mafia gangsters of the NFL, the Oakland Raiders.
It's likely that Scarnecchia will never see life in the NFL again. But he's probably not crying. Like a good mafia soldier, he's taking one for the team. I think I heard him whisper to McDaniels on the way out of Dove Valley: “If I live, I’ll kill you. If I die, I forgive you.”
We should probably be thanking Scarnecchia. He just saved the Broncos their 1st-round draft pick for 2011.
According to the Broncos, here's what happened:

Scarnecchia acted alone
McDaniels never saw (or wanted to see) the tape
After learning of the tape, McDaniels told Scarnecchia to delete the evidence
Several days later, McDaniels went to Joe Ellis and Pat Bowlen

We know the rest of the story. The wallets of the Broncos and McDaniels are each $50,000 lighter.
But are you buying it?
I am. If we've learned anything in the last two years, we've learned that Josh McDaniels is a young guy and that he's learning on the job. He's making a ton of mistakes. Thus, I think it's entirely plausible that Scarnecchia acted alone. I think that when McDaniels hired Scarnecchia, he was doing a friend a favor. It's something a lot of people do.
He basically hired someone he trusted. Just like a young cornerback stupidly forgets he's in zone coverage on occasion, Josh McDaniels unnecessarily felt he needed to surround himself with guys like Scarnecchia.
But in doing so, he committed the ultimate sin, and if he had read the book The 48 Laws of Power, like 50 Cent has, he would have know about Law 2:
Never put too Much Trust in Friends, Learn how to use Enemies
Be wary of friends-they will betray you more quickly, for they are easily aroused to envy. They also become spoiled and tyrannical. But hire a former enemy and he will be more loyal than a friend, because he has more to prove. In fact, you have more to fear from friends than from enemies. If you have no enemies, find a way to make them.
There's a reason 50 Cent is the ultimate badass. He's got bullet holes. McDaniels is just now getting his.
But he's learning.
The other view, if you decide to take it, is that McDaniels knew everything, was directing such actions, and because he's such a control freak, it would have been impossible for him not to have known.
But if that's the case, we would have never heard about this story to begin with. Neither would the league. The Broncos would have just kept on keepin' on. It's not like the 49ers--or anyone else in the league, for that matter--knew what Scarnecchia was doing. Remember, it wasn't the NFL that investigated this from the beginning. The Broncos went to the NFL first. Then, and only then, did the NFL do anything about it.
In other words, either Josh McDaniels is telling the truth, or he's just a terrible sotto capo (underboss).

honz
11-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Whether you agree with this piece or not, that's just quality writing. Well done. I am envious.

jhildebrand
11-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Josh McDaniels made the Sarnecchia hire. Why would he go out of his way to hire the guy knowing his past unless Sarnecchia could bring something to the table in the way of an advantage!

Afterall, McDaniels could have hired anybody to be the team videographer. I mean anybody! So what was there that McD saw that made him bring Scarnecchia out west? It had to be something!

When you view it that way, it is harder to envision a scenario where McD is completely without responsibility/culpability. Had Ellis hired the guy I wouldn't question it. However McD made the hire when everybody else was available.

Bosco
11-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Josh McDaniels made the Sarnecchia hire. Why would he go out of his way to hire the guy knowing his past unless Sarnecchia could bring something to the table in the way of an advantage!

Why would McDaniels shy away from hiring him? The guy had never been in trouble with the league and hadn't been on the Patriots staff since 2005. There wasn't anything to taint the hiring at the time, plus Josh probably knew him from his time in New England and was comfortable with whatever video systems/methods he used and hired him to help make the transaction easier.

It's perfectly fair to hold McDaniels accountable for what he actually did wrong (failing to report it) but it should end there. He doesn't have a crystal ball telling him not to hire people because they might do something unethical nearly two years down the road.

jhildebrand
11-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Why would McDaniels shy away from hiring him? The guy had never been in trouble with the league and hadn't been on the Patriots staff since 2005. There wasn't anything to taint the hiring at the time, plus Josh probably knew him from his time in New England and was comfortable with whatever video systems/methods he used and hired him to help make the transaction easier.

It's perfectly fair to hold McDaniels accountable for what he actually did wrong (failing to report it) but it should end there. He doesn't have a crystal ball telling him not to hire people because they might do something unethical nearly two years down the road.

scarnecchia was tied to the first spygate in NE. Brian Daboll and the other videographers all but referenced learning how to skirt the system from Scarnecchia!

McD new scarnecchia had a rap against him and still hired him. If you don't believe that than why is Goodell holding a special hearing to hear a motion to have Scarnecchia banned from the NFL for LIFE for his second offense?????

Scarnecchia was notified by commissioner Roger Goodell that, as a repeat violator of league rules regarding the integrity of the game, he faced a hearing to determine if he would be banned from the NFL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5855075

claymore
11-27-2010, 10:01 PM
scarnecchia was tied to the first spygate in NE. Brian Daboll and the other videographers all but referenced learning how to skirt the system from Scarnecchia!

McD new scarnecchia had a rap against him and still hired him. If you don't believe that than why is Goodell holding a special hearing to hear a motion to have Scarnecchia banned from the NFL for LIFE for his second offense?????

I think Bosco is Ben Mcdaniels. I really do.

jhildebrand
11-27-2010, 10:03 PM
I think Bosco is Ben Mcdaniels. I really do.

Bosco will go to the ends of this earth to defend anything McDaniels despite it becoming more and more indefensible. I admire that in Bosco but at some point he will have no choice but to come around.

Bosco
11-27-2010, 10:34 PM

Scarnecchia was doing the taping in the early 2000's when the rule was somewhat murky and the taping was common place with more than a few times. The issue was clarified and forbidden in 2006.

In a September 2006 memorandum sent out by NFL Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson, though, all teams were told that "videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."[/URL]

To my knowledge, no one was ever punished for any of the taping up to that point, and Scarnechhia was already out of New England by that time. The Patriots got in trouble because they kept doing it after the memo specifically told them not to.

After footage from the actual tape was aired on [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_NFL_Sunday"]Fox NFL Sunday (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_National_Football_League_videotaping_controve rsy#cite_note-Rules-15) on September 16, former Dallas Cowboys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Cowboys) head coach Jimmy Johnson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Johnson_%28American_football_coach%29) claimed, "This is exactly how I was told to do it 18 years ago by a Kansas City Chiefs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Chiefs) scout. I tried it, but I didn't think it helped us." Johnson also said, "Bill Belichick was wrong because he videotaped signals after a memo was sent out to all of the teams saying not to do it. But what irritates me is hearing some reactions from players and coaches. These players don't know what their coaches are doing. And some of the coaches have selective amnesia because I know for a fact there were various teams doing this. That's why the memo was sent to everybody. That doesn't make [Belichick] right, but a lot of teams are doing this."

Unless Scarnecchia got nailed when he was with the Jets, which I can't find any evidence of, I don't see where he would have repeat offender status. I'd be very interested to see how that plays out.

jhildebrand
11-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Scarnecchia was doing the taping in the early 2000's when the rule was somewhat murky and the taping was common place with more than a few times. The issue was clarified and forbidden in 2006.

To my knowledge, no one was ever punished for any of the taping up to that point, and Scarnechhia was already out of New England by that time. The Patriots got in trouble because they kept doing it after the memo specifically told them not to.

Unless Scarnecchia got nailed when he was with the Jets, which I can't find any evidence of, I don't see where he would have repeat offender status. I'd be very interested to see how that plays out.

Think 2002. Think Rams Super Bowl. Then you know who the illegal taper was (Scarnecchia). Then you are forced to revisit spygate and you begin to legitimize many of the Rams complaints about the loss.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/28301/49ers-rams-have-right-to-feel-cheated

Mike Sando makes some very good points on this!

Bosco
11-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Think 2002. Think Rams Super Bowl. Then you know who the illegal taper was (Scarnecchia). Then you are forced to revisit spygate and you begin to legitimize many of the Rams complaints about the loss.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/28301/49ers-rams-have-right-to-feel-cheated

Mike Sando makes some very good points on this!

No evidence was ever found of illegal taping during the Super Bowl. There was taping going on around that time but as I stated, that was before the rule clarifying memo came in 2006 instructing teams not to do it.

The NFL conducted interviews with Belichick and other members of the Patriots before and after Super Bowl XLII regarding the accusation, and found no evidence to substantiate the Super Bowl XXXVI allegations or any other transgressions beside those the NFL had already penalized the Patriots for.[39] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_National_Football_League_videotaping_controve rsy#cite_note-38)

Citing a league source, The Boston Globe reported on March 10, 2008 that NFL investigators found practical limitations to the allegation; the Patriots' video equipment that was set-up the day before the game had neither battery packs nor a nearby power supply in order to run.[9] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_National_Football_League_videotaping_controve rsy#cite_note-Hohler-8) Also, an NFL investigator interviewed a Patriots employee who left the Louisiana Superdome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Superdome) that day with Walsh; according to the employee, Walsh said of the walkthrough: "We should have taped that."[9] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_National_Football_League_videotaping_controve rsy#cite_note-Hohler-8)
I'm still curious where Scarnecchia earned repeat offended status. I find nothing of him being previously punished by the NFL for illegal taping.

robert ethan
11-28-2010, 01:04 AM
You're right Bosco. Not that it seems to help to point out the obvious around here.