PDA

View Full Version : Packers 27 - Broncos 24 - Five Point Stance Post Game Edition

TheSportsGuru
08-23-2008, 12:14 AM
I am not a prisoner to the present. I say it all the time. For those of you that don't listen to MHR Radio, it simply means I like to let things sink in before I react. There are some things, however, that I do think need discussed after tonight's loss. In no particular order --

http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/8/22/599483/green-bay-packers-27-denve

LawDog
08-23-2008, 02:22 AM
... especially about Bly. He is really the only reason I jumped online tonite. He was horrible, just horrible.

After a sluggish start, Ramsey actually played pretty well. With all the gloomy posts from camp I was really becoming concerned. That concern has been relieved, if only slightly.

Overall, I was very happy with the first 30 minutes and am looking forward to the Raider game to get this puppy started.

omac
08-23-2008, 02:52 AM
Nice article, SportsGuru, but I think you're a little off here ....

While Cutler only completed 6 passes, the two biggest were to Marshall, with Nate Jackson, Peyton Hillis and Andre Hall accounting for the other receptions. In other words, the only receiver to make a catch tonight was Marshall.

Actually, Nate had 2 very big catches ... one to keep the drive alive, and the other the TD, and neither were easy catches to make. Nate definitely stepped up.

(edit) ... oh wait, maybe it was Hillis' that kept the drive alive ... nah, I think it was Nate.

omac
08-23-2008, 02:55 AM
... especially about Bly. He is really the only reason I jumped online tonite. He was horrible, just horrible.

After a sluggish start, Ramsey actually played pretty well. With all the gloomy posts from camp I was really becoming concerned. That concern has been relieved, if only slightly.

Overall, I was very happy with the first 30 minutes and am looking forward to the Raider game to get this puppy started.

Didn't Bly miss some significant time due to a slight injury? Maybe he's just rusty.

LawDog
08-23-2008, 03:37 AM
Didn't Bly miss some significant time due to a slight injury? Maybe he's just rusty.

You're a silver lining type - I like that. Maybe he is just rusty. Maybe he is just done.

TheSportsGuru
08-23-2008, 06:18 AM
Nice article, SportsGuru, but I think you're a little off here ....

Actually, Nate had 2 very big catches ... one to keep the drive alive, and the other the TD, and neither were easy catches to make. Nate definitely stepped up.

(edit) ... oh wait, maybe it was Hillis' that kept the drive alive ... nah, I think it was Nate.

The point was, Brandon Marshall was the only Wide Receiver to make a catch, an he won;t be playing in two weeks. One of the things I was hoping for last night was someone to step up. It is true that Hillis and Jackson made a couple plays, but will that be enough against the Raiders and Chargers??

Nomad
08-23-2008, 06:37 AM
You're a silver lining type - I like that. Maybe he is just rusty. Maybe he is just done.

I'm with you LawDog. Yes, it's preseason but he did the same stuff last year in the regular season. I try not to be hard on players because I never made it past the HS level but there are some serious issues with Bly. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt he's a little rusty but come the Raiders game he'll better have his game on or the mob will come after him.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-23-2008, 06:55 AM
The point was, Brandon Marshall was the only Wide Receiver to make a catch, an he won;t be playing in two weeks. One of the things I was hoping for last night was someone to step up. It is true that Hillis and Jackson made a couple plays, but will that be enough against the Raiders and Chargers??

It's the pre-season.

lex
08-23-2008, 09:32 AM
I think it was the completion to Hall where Jay kind of threw it out to the flat to get rid of it. It made me feel a little uneasy. It was reminiscent of the pick 6 he threw against Oakland. It seems like he is throwing fewer panic throws but then that may not be a sign of progress as much as having more time to throw. Still though, Im feeling better about Jay but those panic throws to the flat make me nervous.

gobroncsnv
08-23-2008, 10:05 AM

Hillis' catch didn't keep a drive alive... he incubated it... our 99 yarder didn't even get born until he did his catch and run. He's a large man, gonna be fun watching him plow folks for the blue and orange.
Will be interesting to see what kind of year Jackson could have if he could stay out of sick bay. Seems to have decent hands and knows how to go after the ball.

omac
08-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Hillis' catch didn't keep a drive alive... he incubated it... our 99 yarder didn't even get born until he did his catch and run. He's a large man, gonna be fun watching him plow folks for the blue and orange.
Will be interesting to see what kind of year Jackson could have if he could stay out of sick bay. Seems to have decent hands and knows how to go after the ball.

I know what you're talking about; that was a cool play by Hillis, kindof like an "NFL, here I am!" kinda play. :D

But I was talking about another one. Upon checking the highlights in NFL.com, Cutler made a pretty tight pass to Nate Jackson, and it did help keep the drive alive, different from the TD pass.

omac
08-23-2008, 10:51 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about that. In the Dallas game, Cutler connected with Marshall, Royal, and Stokley, as well as TEs and RBs. This game, Cutler started a little off before getting his timing. It wasn't the receivers' faults.

Also, I think the Raiders game will be determined more by our rushing than our passing. The Raiders have been consistently poor against the run, and their DL and LBs are the same ones they had last season. Also, their DC is also the same one. I think if you keep doing the same things and you keep getting the same results, you shouldn't expect different results if you continue doing the same things.

The Raiders game will be about rush offense and rush defense, for both teams. I think that if we can't run on them, or we can't stop their rushing game, we will lose. Their pass defense is much stronger than their rush defense.

The good news for us is that our rush offense has been solid, and our rush defense has at the very least been decent.

omac
08-23-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm with you LawDog. Yes, it's preseason but he did the same stuff last year in the regular season. I try not to be hard on players because I never made it past the HS level but there are some serious issues with Bly. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt he's a little rusty but come the Raiders game he'll better have his game on or the mob will come after him.

He probably will. At least we know what we're getting with both Bly and Foxy.

Foxy's an excellent tackler, but he plays extremely cautious, usually allowing the receiver the catch instead of getting burned.

Bly will gamble and contest the pass, but he isn't as good at tackling, and he could get burned.

Now if only Bly could tackle like Foxy. :D I'd rather have Bly; that's a corner's mentality. He tries to make plays happen, while Foxy gives up stuff in order not to get burned.

Broncos Mtnman
08-23-2008, 10:55 PM
It's the pre-season.

Yeah, let's wait until the season to find out no one steps up... :confused:

The "pre-season" comeback is weak and wrong. The reason you have these games it to get ready for the regular season. If you don't see it in practice, you're not likely to see it in games.

The score doesn't matter in pre-season. How you play (or don't) DOES!!

:coffee:

Superchop 7
08-24-2008, 01:25 AM
When it comes to the Broncos.....

Pre-season is a fairly reliable source of the upcoming season.

Remember last years run-d ?

Lousy in the pre-season, lousy in the regular season.

Which is why I'm freaking out about our MLB this year.

Even Reggie Rivers commented on the problem during the telecast.

The flow to the ball is horrible.

The speed is non-existent.

Instincts ? (umm....no)

If they are too stubborn to get Al back, then they need to move DJ back to the middle.

sneakers
08-24-2008, 02:02 AM
I really liked that 99 yard drive in the 2nd quarter.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-24-2008, 09:25 AM
The "pre-season" comeback is weak and wrong.

The assessment that we should be worried about our receivers since Marshall was the only to catch a pass from Cutler in this game would probably fall between those lines as well. :coffee:

honz
08-24-2008, 10:51 AM
The assessment that we should be worried about our receivers since Marshall was the only to catch a pass from Cutler in this game would probably fall between those lines as well. :coffee:
No, when something good happens in the preseason you can't get excited because it is only the preseason, but if something bad happens in the preseason it is a sign of things to come even though it is only the preseason.:coffee:

Requiem / The Dagda
08-24-2008, 12:57 PM
No, when something good happens in the preseason you can't get excited because it is only the preseason, but if something bad happens in the preseason it is a sign of things to come even though it is only the preseason.:coffee:

You see that glass right there Honz? I think it's half-full. :lol:

NameUsedBefore
08-24-2008, 01:20 PM

I always go with:

4-0 means nothing in the preseason.

0-4 and you're in trouble.

BroncoJoe
08-24-2008, 01:28 PM
I always go with:

4-0 means nothing in the preseason.

0-4 and you're in trouble.

I can live with that.

nevcraw
08-24-2008, 02:13 PM
I realkly Liked the way Hall has looked.. runs with more authority than Selvin. Also is mostly heading right up the gut..