PDA

View Full Version : You won, and are allowed to be GM for 1 day...

Ravage!!!
11-26-2010, 05:03 PM
I know, its similar to many threads, so lets limit the moves so that everyone has the same list.

You get ONE move in each category:

1) FO. If (if) you make a change in a FO position, what would that move be?
2) Coaches. If (if) there was a coach on the staff that you wanted gone and could hire a new one, who would you fire and whom would you hire?
3) Signing player extension. Basically, what player would you be sure to keep?
4) Firing player. Self explanatory, but what player would you absolutely get rid of?
5) FA. What player, or position, would be the FIRST FA you would go after?
6) Draft. What do we use with our #5 draft choice in the 2011 NFL Draft?

topscribe
11-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Okay, I'll bite:

Reassign Xanders, bring in a strong, experienced GM with a good rep and
limit the McD to HC. Fire Ellis if I have to, to get that done.

2) Coaches. If (if) there was a coach on the staff that you wanted gone and could hire a new one, who would you fire and whom would you hire?

If the above (#1) can be achieved, keep the staff intact.

Kyle Orton. Yes, Tebow is supposed to be the future. But is he? QB is the
most important position on the team. I would rather keep Orton and find
out Tebow is a superstar than to jettison Orton and find out that Tebow
is somewhere between "average" (what is "average," Ravage? :D ) and bust.

4) Firing player. Self explanatory, but what player would you absolutely get rid of?

Oh, there are several under consideration, but . . . I don't know off the
top. Brady Quinn, maybe? When would he ever play?

I'm not so concerned about what individual as I am about the position. So
D-line would be first.

Look for a NG. Ignore everything else until we get a NG.

IMHO.

-----

missingnumber7
11-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Pay the tuna what it costs to bring him in. He has improved things everywhere he has been. Weather its just to be an analyst or to be the GM he comes in and we listen.
Bring back Nolan...tell McDaniels if he can't play nice then there is the door. McDaniels is offense, Nolan D. Thats what worked before the problems.
Champ gets an extension. Since the Portis/Champ trade there has been no other player who has been the face of the Team.
Nate Jones...really, I mean, you should change your name to Yoo Suk because its true. How a 6 yr vet at corner can suck as bad as you is beyond me.
DL would be the first focus, but if we can find a good SS to replace Dawk i think that would be a solid move too. Brenard Pollard being available wouldn't be a bad pickup.
6) Draft. What do we use with our #5 draft choice in the 2011 NFL Draft?[/QUOTE]
I think with the draft you have to go DL early, and then look to build depth in the OL, LB, and Secondary.

spikerman
11-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Great thread!!! I'll take a shot. Of course I reserve the right to change my mind after I've thought about it for a while. :)

I know, its similar to many threads, so lets limit the moves so that everyone has the same list.

1) FO. If (if) you make a change in a FO position, what would that move be? I agree with Top. Hire a real personnel guy. Xanders could keep the title of GM and handle the cap, but I would bring in a President of Football Operations (PFO) to handle personnel and coaches.

2) Coaches. If (if) there was a coach on the staff that you wanted gone and could hire a new one, who would you fire and whom would you hire? I would consider keeping the staff intact with a new PFO. If there was resistance to a new person "shopping for the groceries" I would fire McDaniels.

3) Signing player extension. Basically, what player would you be sure to keep? Easy one for me. Ryan Clady.

4) Firing player. Self explanatory, but what player would you absolutely get rid of? Richard Quinn. Nothing against him, but the team has enough blocking TEs on the roster. Maybe his spot could be used for a TE that actually catches passes.

5) FA. What player, or position, would be the FIRST FA you would go after? The player is still up for debate, but there is no justification for not addressing the defensive front 7.

6) Draft. What do we use with our #5 draft choice in the 2011 NFL Draft? See #5

Lancane
11-26-2010, 06:33 PM

1) I would remove Joe Ellis from his job of Chief of Operations to a secluded position such as Operations Director for the Board of Directors. I would then hire someone who has a vast knowledge of not only of the operational and administration duties but also a good head in regards to player personnel, such as Ed McGuire of San Diego and name him Head of Football Operations. Following that I would fire Brian Xanders and name Ryan Pace of New Orleans as the Assistant General Manager/Head of Football Personnel.

2) McDaniels would then be told that he has no longer any control beyond coaching the team, that he answers directly to Ryan Pace and Ed McGuire regarding any and all issues regarding the team, he can not ensue any trade talks or major roster moves without permission of both those gentlemen. Then I would let him know that his brother, the offensive coordinator and the defensive coordinator were fired forthwith. I would hire Kirby Smart of Alabama as the new Defensive Coordinator, Neal Brown of Texas Tech as the Quarterbacks Coach/Assistant Offensive Coordinator and Rick Dennison as Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator.

3) I would give Champ Bailey a four year extended contract, with performance clauses, to be the starting Strong Safety and play along side Brian Dawkins.

4) Not really firing him, but I would make it a priority to trade Kyle Orton, his value is there, whether as a second or third rounder...but there none the less. It's not fair to him, Quinn or Tebow to be in the mix for a starting role with a first round pick nor another quarterback that is starter capable.

5) Ryan Harris will be an unrestricted free agent and doesn't fit the Man-to-Man blocking scheme, he would be due a large contract because of his past performance in the Zone Blocking scheme...so I would sign Matt Light from New England, he's a former left tackle who moved to the right side and a veteran which could bring leadership to a very young offensive line.

6) If we had the 5th Overall Pick and he's available it goes without question that my top target would be Marcell Dareus of Alabama.

* To understand some of the decisions I made, I'll explain them...why didn't I fire McDaniels? I think that with the changes and having Tebow, it would be more then enough to force him to focus on coaching alone, therein limiting his influence among the front office ranks, he has no choice but to succeed...and if he didn't like it, then he would be more inclined to quit, saving us from paying top dollar for his ineptitude...if that happened I would try and hire Gruden as the Head Coach. The reason I named Rick Dennison as Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator is that first off, he's well respected by the fans and the community, he understands part of the offense both new and old...and if something happened he would do well as an interim head coach.

Bosco
11-26-2010, 06:36 PM
1) FO. If (if) you make a change in a FO position, what would that move be? Replace Ellis with Elway, have him collaborate with McDaniels on player personnel.

2) Coaches. If (if) there was a coach on the staff that you wanted gone and could hire a new one, who would you fire and whom would you hire? A couple weeks ago I would have said Clancy Barone, but the line is improving so I would probably spare him the axe unless a clear upgrade was available.

3) Signing player extension. Basically, what player would you be sure to keep? Off the top of my head, Bailey. Tag him if necessary, but make sure he is a Bronco for another year at least.

4) Firing player. Self explanatory, but what player would you absolutely get rid of? None that I can think of. Most of the players I would consider cutting will have their contracts expire at the end of the season.

5) FA. What player, or position, would be the FIRST FA you would go after? I don't have any specific names off the top of my head, but CB, DL, and Safety should be evaluated for any possible FA signings.

6) Draft. What do we use with our #5 draft choice in the 2011 NFL Draft? The best DE available who fits our 3-4 defense. Ditto with NT in the 2nd or 3rd round.

chazoe60
11-26-2010, 06:39 PM
1) I would remove Joe Ellis from his job of Chief of Operations to a secluded position such as Operations Director for the Board of Directors. I would then hire someone who has a vast knowledge of not only of the operational and administration duties but also a good head in regards to player personnel, such as Ed McGuire of San Diego and name him Head of Football Operations. Following that I would fire Brian Xanders and name Ryan Pace of New Orleans as the Assistant General Manager/Head of Football Personnel.

2) McDaniels would then be told that he has no longer any control beyond coaching the team, that he answers directly to Ryan Pace and Ed McGuire regarding any and all issues regarding the team, he can not ensue any trade talks or major roster moves without permission of both those gentlemen. Then I would let him know that his brother, the offensive coordinator and the defensive coordinator were fired forthwith. I would hire Kirby Smart of Alabama as the new Defensive Coordinator, Neal Brown of Texas Tech as the Quarterbacks Coach/Assistant Offensive Coordinator and Rick Dennison as Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator.

3) I would give Champ Bailey a four year extended contract, with performance clauses, to be the starting Strong Safety and play along side Brian Dawkins.

4) Not really firing him, but I would make it a priority to trade Kyle Orton, his value is there, whether as a second or third rounder...but there none the less. It's not fair to him, Quinn or Tebow to be in the mix for a starting role with a first round pick nor another quarterback that is starter capable.

5) Ryan Harris will be an unrestricted free agent and doesn't fit the Man-to-Man blocking scheme, he would be due a large contract because of his past performance in the Zone Blocking scheme...so I would sign Matt Light from New England, he's a former left tackle who moved to the right side and a veteran which could bring leadership to a very young offensive line.

6) If we had the 5th Overall Pick and he's available it goes without question that my top target would be Marcell Dareus of Alabama.

* To understand some of the decisions I made, I'll explain them...why didn't I fire McDaniels? I think that with the changes and having Tebow, it would be more then enough to force him to focus on coaching alone, therein limiting his influence among the front office ranks, he has no choice but to succeed...and if he didn't like it, then he would be more inclined to quit, saving us from paying top dollar for his ineptitude...if that happened I would try and hire Gruden as the Head Coach. The reason I named Rick Dennison as Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator is that first off, he's well respected by the fans and the community, he understands part of the offense both new and old...and if something happened he would do well as an interim head coach.
I wish I could High5 a post twice. This is perfect.

Bosco
11-26-2010, 06:48 PM
2) McDaniels would then be told that he has no longer any control beyond coaching the team, that he answers directly to Ryan Pace and Ed McGuire regarding any and all issues regarding the team, he can not ensue any trade talks or major roster moves without permission of both those gentlemen. Then I would let him know that his brother, the offensive coordinator and the defensive coordinator were fired forthwith. I would hire Kirby Smart of Alabama as the new Defensive Coordinator, Neal Brown of Texas Tech as the Quarterbacks Coach/Assistant Offensive Coordinator and Rick Dennison as Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator. Two questions here.

1) Why would you fire McCoy and Ben McDaniels?

2) What do you accomplish by replacing them with a coordinator who has spent his entire career with the West Coast offense?

RebelRocker
11-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Great post! :salute:

Here's mine

I would keep Xanders, but I would hire Schlereth on to work with Xanders in a team type effort sharing GM powers. It's all about BALANCE. One guy should never rule a team! Haven't we learned our lesson yet?

I would fire McDaniels and hire Russ Grimm. Russ Grimm is a hard nosed, respected coach who SHOULD have gotten the Steelers HC job after Cowher, but due to the Rooney rule, he lost out to Mike Tomlin.
Jason Hunter. That guy's a beast. He transitioned very well from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB.
Ryan McBean. How many facemask penalties has he had this year? His irrational decisions cost us the Jacksonville game!
Nose Tackle. I don't know who would be available, but I would go for the best nose tackle.
Take the best player available. Outside of QB, WR and LT, ANYTHING is draftable, in my opinion.

Lancane
11-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Two questions here.

1) Why would you fire McCoy and Ben McDaniels?

2) What do you accomplish by replacing them with a coordinator who has spent his entire career with the West Coast offense?

Ben McDaniels got the job simply because his brother, he never had the qualifications to be named a positional coach, he served one season as an assistant...talk about the fast track to a career position!

As for McCoy, it's obvious that he was questionable and that he was hired more as an assistant then as a coordinator, we all knew that...or so I thought. Josh McDaniels is pretty much the offensive coordinator, sort of how Kubiak was in the beginning. McCoy himself is not from a spread offensive system either, so that made it even more questionable. And Dennison though familiar with the West Coast was in place Shanahan's final year, when the offense was in fact implementing parts of the Pro-Spread offense into their system.

RebelRocker
11-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Ben McDaniels got the job simply because his brother, he never had the qualifications to be named a positional coach, he served one season as an assistant...talk about the fast track to a career position!

As for McCoy, it's obvious that he was questionable and that he was hired more as an assistant then as a coordinator, we all knew that...or so I thought. Josh McDaniels is pretty much the offensive coordinator, sort of how Kubiak was in the beginning. McCoy himself is not from a spread offensive system either, so that made it even more questionable. And Dennison though familiar with the West Coast was in place Shanahan's final year, when the offense was in fact implementing parts of the Pro-Spread offense into their system.

If Ben McDaniels can be the QB coach, then Stink can be hired as a VP of personnel to work with Xanders.

Bosco
11-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Ben McDaniels got the job simply because his brother, he never had the qualifications to be named a positional coach, he served one season as an assistant...talk about the fast track to a career position! Actually he did have the qualifications. He did time as a grad assistant, then moved up to offensive assistant a couple years later and then to position coach the next year. That's the logical progression that most coaches take, including Josh, Jeremy Bates and Mike Shanahan.

And qualifications aside, I still fail to see why you would fire him. Can anyone seriously claim that the performance of our quarterbacks would justify the firing of their position coach? Please.

As for McCoy, it's obvious that he was questionable and that he was hired more as an assistant then as a coordinator, we all knew that...or so I thought. Josh McDaniels is pretty much the offensive coordinator, sort of how Kubiak was in the beginning. McCoy's role is similar to Gary Kubiak's role up until 2000 or so. At that time he was handling the bulk of the game plan duties and pulling some double duty as the QB coach while Shanahan called the plays.

Once again though, I fail to see any justification for firing the man.

McCoy himself is not from a spread offensive system either, so that made it even more questionable. And Dennison though familiar with the West Coast was in place Shanahan's final year, when the offense was in fact implementing parts of the Pro-Spread offense into their system. McCoy cut his teeth in Carolina, where they run the single back Erhardt-Perkins offense that is the base foundation of the spread that McDaniels runs, so he wasn't entirely unfamiliar with the concepts of this offense.

claymore
11-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Id demote Ben McDaniels to under wear sniffer. Hopefully it would piss Josh McDaniels off, and hed quit, that way we wouldnt have to pay him. If not, Id find a way to make him come to work every day but have another coach in charge of the team.

spikerman
11-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Actually he did have the qualifications. He did time as a grad assistant, then moved up to offensive assistant a couple years later and then to position coach the next year. That's the logical progression that most coaches take, including Josh, Jeremy Bates and Mike Shanahan.

The difference is that those guys cut their teeth at the NFL level. Ben McDaniels wasn't even the head coach at the HS level. Except for his brother being the HC of an NFL team there is no way an assistant HS coach could logically or justifiably make the jump to the NFL. There are examples of nepotism in professional sports, but there are few as blatant as this.

Lancane
11-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Actually he did have the qualifications. He did time as a grad assistant, then moved up to offensive assistant a couple years later and then to position coach the next year. That's the logical progression that most coaches take, including Josh, Jeremy Bates and Mike Shanahan.

And qualifications aside, I still fail to see why you would fire him. Can anyone seriously claim that the performance of our quarterbacks would justify the firing of their position coach? Please.

McCoy's role is similar to Gary Kubiak's role up until 2000 or so. At that time he was handling the bulk of the game plan duties and pulling some double duty as the QB coach while Shanahan called the plays.

Once again though, I fail to see any justification for firing the man.

McCoy cut his teeth in Carolina, where they run the single back Erhardt-Perkins offense that is the base foundation of the spread that McDaniels runs, so he wasn't entirely unfamiliar with the concepts of this offense.

You just don't agree, that's fine...but most coaches, including Josh McDaniels are assistants more often then not for more then a couple years. Bosco, we get that you back McDaniels and the regime, so most of us know that no matter what we say, your more then likely to disagree.

And I did not know that McCoy hailed from the Erhardt-Perkins in Carolina, so that's good to know, so I may rethink my objection there...but not in regards to Ben McDaniels, he was given a position without barely cutting his teeth, most analysts around the league would concur with that.

Bosco
11-26-2010, 07:48 PM
The difference is that those guys cut their teeth at the NFL level. Ben McDaniels wasn't even the head coach at the HS level. Except for his brother being the HC of an NFL team there is no way an assistant HS coach could logically or justifiably make the jump to the NFL. There are examples of nepotism in professional sports, but there are few as blatant as this.

That's not true at all. Josh McDaniels did his under grad at Michigan State, then moved to the Patriots as a defensive assistant before getting a positional coach spot. Mike Shanahan followed the same progression but all in the college ranks. Jeremy Bates made the jump straight to offensive Q.C assistant without any undergrad work that I can find.

It's simply pointless to cry about Ben's qualifications. There are three basic paths to becoming a position coach in the NFL and Ben has held not just one but two of the three requisites. His time in the high school ranks is nothing more than icing on the cake.

Lancane
11-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Here's a question Bosco, one that is really bothering me; Josh McDaniels is from a Pro-Spread offensive tree, yet we mention McCoy hails from the Erhardt-Perkins and so does McDaniels for the most part, then why is it that we see very few elements of the Smash Mouth offense that is a big factor in the success of Erhardt-Perkins?

Bosco
11-26-2010, 07:54 PM
You just don't agree, that's fine...but most coaches, including Josh McDaniels are assistants more often then not for more then a couple years. And Ben McDaniels has that. Two years as an undergrad coaching assistant at Minnesota and a year as the offensive assistant here. Exactly the same amount of experience as Josh McDaniels had before being promoted to QB coach and more than both Shanahan and Bates at respective points in their career.

Bosco
11-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Here's a question Bosco, one that is really bothering me; Josh McDaniels is from a Pro-Spread offensive tree, yet we mention McCoy hails from the Erhardt-Perkins and so does McDaniels for the most part, then why is it that we see very few elements of the Smash Mouth offense that is a big factor in the success of Erhardt-Perkins?

I'm on my way out to dinner, but I'll answer this one I get back. :D

Italianmobstr7
11-26-2010, 08:50 PM

Hire Elway as a consultant in the FO to help with player personnel decisions.

I wouldn't get rid of anyone as of right now. Tired of changing D coordinators, McD should get at least 1 more year, our ST has actually been decent this year.

Champ Bailey. Great player, great leader. McD loves him and he's good for our young CB's. He's not as good as he once was but still a top tier CB and probably an eventual Safety. We've already got Doom & DJ locked up. The rest of our players are very young and already locked up or signed long term (DJ/Dumervil). I saw someone put Orton earlier.. Orton is already signed through next year. No need IMO to re-sign him again. That's why we have Tebow. The future.

Maybe McBean. He's had a few really terrible penalties, he's not that great in the first place. Really anyone on our DL is suseptible to be cut though.
Either a safety or DL. If there's a stud DT, grab him. If there's a stud DE, grab him.
I'd draft a DT first or a Safety if there's on worthy of the spot. I think once we get those 2 positions locked up with some good talent we'll be back to being a very good team again.

spikerman
11-26-2010, 09:51 PM
That's not true at all. Josh McDaniels did his under grad at Michigan State, then moved to the Patriots as a defensive assistant before getting a positional coach spot. Mike Shanahan followed the same progression but all in the college ranks. Jeremy Bates made the jump straight to offensive Q.C assistant without any undergrad work that I can find.

It's simply pointless to cry about Ben's qualifications. There are three basic paths to becoming a position coach in the NFL and Ben has held not just one but two of the three requisites. His time in the high school ranks is nothing more than icing on the cake.

So those guys made the jump from high school assistant coach to the NFL? I didn't realize that. I guess I need to go back and research it.

There is a difference in moving from the collegiate ranks to the NFL as opposed to the high school ranks to the NFL. Althought B. McDaniels had a cup of coffee as a grad assistant at a college can you say with a straight face that he would have been deemed qualified by any NFL coach who is not his brother?

Northman
11-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Bosco, we get that you back McDaniels and the regime, so most of us know that no matter what we say, your more then likely to disagree.

Yeeeeeeep.

I Eat Staples
11-26-2010, 10:05 PM
1) Fire Xanders. Hire a GM that can evaluate talent.

2) Fire McDaniels and try to hire Cowher. McDaniels is gone no matter who is brought in, and the new coach is encouraged to overhaul this pathetic staff of yes-men.

3) Sign Kyle Orton long term.

4) Trade Tim Tebow. There's plenty of defensive players who shouldn't have a job next year as well.

5) Target one veteran D-Linemen and a safety.

6) Top priorities in the draft should be NT, DE, and ILB in that order. Take either a NT or DE in the first round, depending on value. A HB should be drafted in one of the middle rounds.

Bosco
11-26-2010, 11:17 PM

Ok, so I'm back from dinner now. Mmmmm, pizza.

Anyways, the smash mouth football game is simply dying off as the league becomes more and more pass happy. That was one of the reasons Josh decided on moving away from Charlie Weis' version of the Erhardt-Perkins offense. Oddly enough, Weis opened up his own offense shortly after that.

We haven't completely abandoned that principle though. We do alot of our running out of two and three tight end sets, especially down on the goal line.

So those guys made the jump from high school assistant coach to the NFL? I didn't realize that. I guess I need to go back and research it. You're misrepresenting the situation though. McDaniels went from the high school ranks to the NFL, but he already had those two years of undergrad at the collegiate level. That undergrad experience alone would have qualified him for a positional coaching job on some staffs, but he came in even lower as the offensive assistant.

The only difference between Josh and Ben's jump from undergrad to the NFL is that Ben had the high school coaching between the two stops. That's more experience, not less.

Althought B. McDaniels had a cup of coffee as a grad assistant at a college can you say with a straight face that he would have been deemed qualified by any NFL coach who is not his brother? Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli hired Josh McDaniels after two years of undergrad and then bumped him up to QB coach a year later. Jeremy Bates was hired directly to quality control assistant with no apparent undergrad work and promoted to assistant QB coach two years later. Brian Schottenheimer had no apparent undergrad experience when the Rams hired him as an offensive assistant in 1997. He then moved to the college ranks until coming back to the NFL as a QB coach for the Redskins in 2001.

Ben McDaniels is simply following the career path that just about every other NFL coach has gone through. It's a simple, indisputable fact.

Northman
11-26-2010, 11:39 PM

Fire Ellis and get a proven GM in there who has had success (i.e Ozzie Newsome).

2) Coaches. If (if) there was a coach on the staff that you wanted gone and could hire a new one, who would you fire and whom would you hire?As previously stated, keep McDaniels just so as long as he understands he doesnt call the shots on player personnel. Let McD concentrate on coaching only. If he doesnt play ball, can him.

3) Signing player extension. Basically, what player would you be sure to keep?If Champ is willing to play Safety than extend him and let him finish out his career in Denver.

4) Firing player. Self explanatory, but what player would you absolutely get rid of?Almost same senario, if Champ wont move to Safety than we trade him and get what we can for him. If not, definitely one of the Quinns preferably Richard who is a waste of space.

5) FA. What player, or position, would be the FIRST FA you would go after?DE or LB

DE or DT. Nick Fairly would great in blue and orange.

spikerman
11-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Ok, so I'm back from dinner now. Mmmmm, pizza.

Anyways, the smash mouth football game is simply dying off as the league becomes more and more pass happy. That was one of the reasons Josh decided on moving away from Charlie Weis' version of the Erhardt-Perkins offense. Oddly enough, Weis opened up his own offense shortly after that.

We haven't completely abandoned that principle though. We do alot of our running out of two and three tight end sets, especially down on the goal line.

You're misrepresenting the situation though. McDaniels went from the high school ranks to the NFL, but he already had those two years of undergrad at the collegiate level. That undergrad experience alone would have qualified him for a positional coaching job on some staffs, but he came in even lower as the offensive assistant.

The only difference between Josh and Ben's jump from undergrad to the NFL is that Ben had the high school coaching between the two stops. That's more experience, not less.

Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli hired Josh McDaniels after two years of undergrad and then bumped him up to QB coach a year later. Jeremy Bates was hired directly to quality control assistant with no apparent undergrad work and promoted to assistant QB coach two years later. Brian Schottenheimer had no apparent undergrad experience when the Rams hired him as an offensive assistant in 1997. He then moved to the college ranks until coming back to the NFL as a QB coach for the Redskins in 2001.

Ben McDaniels is simply following the career path that just about every other NFL coach has gone through. It's a simple, indisputable fact.

That's great news!!!! It gives me hope. I officiate HS football games here in Texas where arguably the best HS football in the country is played. I'm keeping my phone on for a call from the NFL any day now!!!!

There is a huge difference between the NFL and college game and just as big a difference between the HS and college game. Getting hired directly as an undergrad assistant to "gofer" in the NFL is one thing, but B. McDaniels took a step down not even to a head HS football coach, but to an assistant HS football coach before making the leap to the NFL. That is a HUGE difference. You would think if a guy was determined to be NFL-ready he could have at least been a head coach at the high school level. I think it is very disputable that he followed the same career path that every other coach followed. Just like I don't believe any coach who wasn't his brother would have even considered him for an NFL job at this point in his career.

Just my $.02 for whatever it's worth, which may not be much, but hey, if I can get people to waste their time reading my opinions, I somehow feel like I've won. :D

Ravage!!!
11-27-2010, 11:36 AM

1) Somehow I try to get rid of Xanders and Ellis in one swift move. If I can't, I hire a guy to replace Ellis with a clause in his contract that stipulates he gets rid of Xanders. That, or I Hire someone to take over for Ellis, and pull a Tonya Harding on Xanders kneecaps in the parking lot.

2) Many have said they would give McD another year if his personnel decisions were taken away. Not me. I haven't seen a SINGLE thing from him that shows me he can be a good HC. Not one single thing. His team sucks, his offense sucks, and his dealing with players/coaches...sucks. I dont even think he's a good OC. We gave credit to McD for cutting losses early with Alphonso. I think we should absolutely bite the bullet and send this kid packing.

3) When I look at the roster, there is only ONE player that fits this category. No other player, worth anything, is coming in need of an extension. Although I'm not sold on giving Bailey top money at this point in his career, I also would love to see him at FS. With that possibility in hand, Bailey would be the guy I would give an extension too.

4) Again. We have so many bad-to-mediocre players... who do you choose to be the guy that is "so bad" that you get rid of? None there, really. If I lived in a dreamland, I would trade away Orton for a 2nd, trade away Tebow for a first, and be in a much better place to move from 5 to #1 and get Andrew Luck. Then I would at least know we have the most important position on the team filled with an EXTREMELY top talent. But since I can't, I would trade away Orton for a 2nd, probably a 3rd, and transition into the "Tebow years." Its not that Orton is the worst player, but he's the player on the roster that has the most value for a position that we used a lot of picks to fill. If I can get a 1st for Tebow, and still have a shot at Luck.. that would be fantastic! :D

5) I make a splash, with my new coaching staff, and try to get the fans excited again. I make a move for the best DL on the market. Maybe not the TOP guy, but a top-enough guy that fits. I'm not sure we stick with the 34, considering our lack of personnel, and the 43 is easier to build. Its not like we have 34 players...other than Doom. I'm looking to build this team up quickly, and unless you have a chance to have a top NT... and that takes 3 years for them to really develop in the NFL, I could go 43 and make a much quicker change for the better.

6) Like most of everyone else, I don't have a specific player in mind. I don't know if there is a NT that is dominant enough to take up the #5 spot in the draft. Truly, if I were GM and we had this pick I would move down and acquire more picks, and may be picking for the 43 anyway. Regardless, and LB are top priorities... and I dont just pick one.

Northman
11-27-2010, 11:39 AM
I would have to make an edit to my previous post. If McD is guilty of cheating than he needs to go and you dont waste time on him any longer.

spikerman
11-27-2010, 11:43 AM
I would have to make an edit to my previous post. If McD is guilty of cheating than he needs to go and you dont waste time on him any longer.

Agreed.

jhildebrand
11-27-2010, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE=Ravage!!!;1130058]
1) FO. Bring In Marty Schottenheimer

2) Coaches. McDaniels would be axed 5 minutes ago. I would have said Leslie Frazier but that ship has sailed. At this point I truly think Brian Schottenheimer is the best shot.

3) Signing player extension. Not sure who is due contract wise but nobody would be safe if I were running the show.

4) Firing player. Dawkins-he would probably call it quits himself as would J Williams. That said, the next person to be shipped out would be Gaffney!

5) FA. LaMar Woodly and LB in general

6) Draft. NT/DL

Bosco
11-27-2010, 03:49 PM
There is a huge difference between the NFL and college game and just as big a difference between the HS and college game. Getting hired directly as an undergrad assistant to "gofer" in the NFL is one thing, but B. McDaniels took a step down not even to a head HS football coach, but to an assistant HS football coach before making the leap to the NFL. That is a HUGE difference. You would think if a guy was determined to be NFL-ready he could have at least been a head coach at the high school level. I think it is very disputable that he followed the same career path that every other coach followed. Again, your problem is with perspective. You're dismissing McDaniels for his time in the high school ranks because that's what he was doing immediately before getting hired in the NFL. In reality it doesn't work that way. Teams want to see those qualifications and as long as the time between isn't unreasonable, that's all they care about.

It's no different in the corporate world. A company isn't going to care if you were slinging fries after you graduated college as long as you have the degree that is required for whatever entry level job you happen to be applying for.

Just like I don't believe any coach who wasn't his brother would have even considered him for an NFL job at this point in his career.
I don't think there is any doubt that Ben was helped by his brother's accomplishments. Hell, what are the chances that Kyle Shanahan and Jeremy Bates would be where they are right now if they weren't the sons of NFL coaches with a little prestige attached to their names? Just like Ben, they received a little help moving through the ranks but they still had to put their time in like anyone else.

spikerman
11-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Again, your problem is with perspective. You're dismissing McDaniels for his time in the high school ranks because that's what he was doing immediately before getting hired in the NFL. In reality it doesn't work that way. Teams want to see those qualifications and as long as the time between isn't unreasonable, that's all they care about.

It's no different in the corporate world. A company isn't going to care if you were slinging fries after you graduated college as long as you have the degree that is required for whatever entry level job you happen to be applying for.

I don't think there is any doubt that Ben was helped by his brother's accomplishments. Hell, what are the chances that Kyle Shanahan and Jeremy Bates would be where they are right now if they weren't the sons of NFL coaches with a little prestige attached to their names? Just like Ben, they received a little help moving through the ranks but they still had to put their time in like anyone else.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because I believe that the perspective problem is actually yours.

To use your analogy, let's look at your corporate scenario. Let's say a person is working as an unpaid intern at a mid-level computer company for a year or two. After his internship is finished he isn't offered a job at his company or even an equivalent company. He needs work so he takes a job "slinging fries" as you put it as an assistant manager at Burger King. Next, out of the blue he gets a job on the board at Microsoft with the justification that he worked as an intern at a computer company. You're saying that would be perfectly reasonable? I've been in the corporate world and the other employees would take one look at that situation and assume that his father was Bill Gates and that's the only way he could get that job. In this case, that seems eerily similar to what happened.

If you want to believe that there was nothing unusual about it that's fine. I just don't believe that's the case.

Bosco
11-27-2010, 04:16 PM
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because I believe that the perspective problem is actually yours.

To use your analogy, let's look at your corporate scenario. Let's say a person is working as an unpaid intern at a mid-level computer company for a year or two. After his internship is finished he isn't offered a job at his company or even an equivalent company. He needs work so he takes a job "slinging fries" as you put it as an assistant manager at Burger King. Next, out of the blue he gets a job on the board at Microsoft with the justification that he worked as an intern at a computer company. You're saying that would be perfectly reasonable? I've been in the corporate world and the other employees would take one look at that situation and assume that his father was Bill Gates and that's the only way he could get that job. In this case, that seems eerily similar to what happened.

If you want to believe that there was nothing unusual about it that's fine. I just don't believe that's the case.

Here you go distorting the situation again. Ben McDaniels wasn't given a position equivalent to being on a board of directors. He went from an unpaid internship to an entry level position with two years in a position roughly equivalent to middle management albeit at a far less competitive level. Now if McDaniels had went from undergrad straight to offensive coordinator without the two steps (offensive assistant and position coach) between then your example would have been spot on.

spikerman
11-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Here you go distorting the situation again. Ben McDaniels wasn't given a position equivalent to being on a board of directors. He went from an unpaid internship to an entry level position with two years in a position roughly equivalent to middle management albeit at a far less competitive level. Now if McDaniels had went from undergrad straight to offensive coordinator without the two steps (offensive assistant and position coach) between then your example would have been spot on.

I'm not distorting anything. I just used your own scenario to show why you are wrong. I used the board of directors example because there are VERY few NFL coaching positions available and they do serve as the "board of directors" of the team.

Obviously in your eyes McDaniels is incapable of making a wrong decision so the discussion is pointless, but personally I think I made good use of your example. If you disagree so be it.

Bosco
11-27-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm not distorting anything. I just used your own scenario to show why you are wrong. I used the board of directors example because there are VERY few NFL coaching positions available and they do serve as the "board of directors" of the team.

No, they don't serve as the "board of directors" of the team. The actual board of directors (or advisers as they are called here) does that, and not a single member of the coaching staff is on it.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/staff-directory.html

The position coaches are effectively the lower rung of middle management. There is a pretty vast gap between them and the executive staff.

Obviously in your eyes McDaniels is incapable of making a wrong decision so the discussion is pointless, but personally I think I made good use of your example. If you disagree so be it. And I can easily flip it around and say that you are a known critic of McDaniels and simply dislike the fact that he hired his own brother and let him make the same progressions that every other entry level coach including Josh himself had to go through.

Ben McDaniels may not have been qualified by your stand but by the only standards that do matter, the NFL's standards, he was.

dunk7
11-27-2010, 11:00 PM
1) Somehow I try to get rid of Xanders and Ellis in one swift move. If I can't, I hire a guy to replace Ellis with a clause in his contract that stipulates he gets rid of Xanders. That, or I Hire someone to take over for Ellis, and pull a Tonya Harding on Xanders kneecaps in the parking lot.

2) Many have said they would give McD another year if his personnel decisions were taken away. Not me. I haven't seen a SINGLE thing from him that shows me he can be a good HC. Not one single thing. His team sucks, his offense sucks, and his dealing with players/coaches...sucks. I dont even think he's a good OC. We gave credit to McD for cutting losses early with Alphonso. I think we should absolutely bite the bullet and send this kid packing.

3) When I look at the roster, there is only ONE player that fits this category. No other player, worth anything, is coming in need of an extension. Although I'm not sold on giving Bailey top money at this point in his career, I also would love to see him at FS. With that possibility in hand, Bailey would be the guy I would give an extension too.

4) Again. We have so many bad-to-mediocre players... who do you choose to be the guy that is "so bad" that you get rid of? None there, really. If I lived in a dreamland, I would trade away Orton for a 2nd, trade away Tebow for a first, and be in a much better place to move from 5 to #1 and get Andrew Luck. Then I would at least know we have the most important position on the team filled with an EXTREMELY top talent. But since I can't, I would trade away Orton for a 2nd, probably a 3rd, and transition into the "Tebow years." Its not that Orton is the worst player, but he's the player on the roster that has the most value for a position that we used a lot of picks to fill. If I can get a 1st for Tebow, and still have a shot at Luck.. that would be fantastic! :D

5) I make a splash, with my new coaching staff, and try to get the fans excited again. I make a move for the best DL on the market. Maybe not the TOP guy, but a top-enough guy that fits. I'm not sure we stick with the 34, considering our lack of personnel, and the 43 is easier to build. Its not like we have 34 players...other than Doom. I'm looking to build this team up quickly, and unless you have a chance to have a top NT... and that takes 3 years for them to really develop in the NFL, I could go 43 and make a much quicker change for the better.

6) Like most of everyone else, I don't have a specific player in mind. I don't know if there is a NT that is dominant enough to take up the #5 spot in the draft. Truly, if I were GM and we had this pick I would move down and acquire more picks, and may be picking for the 43 anyway. Regardless, and LB are top priorities... and I dont just pick one.

Well, I think I have my pick for the GM contest...With Fitzpatrick playing really well for Buffalo, maybe they'd be willing to give up the first overall pick. And I think we can find some other idiot GM to overpay for Orton and Tebow. Orton's stock isn't going to get any higher so start showcasing Tebow for a trade ;-).