PDA

View Full Version : Running backs suggestion

broncofaninfla
08-22-2008, 08:17 AM
:salute: Hello all, newby here, first post, great site!!!

Like most Bronco fans, I've been following the RB situation closely. I've seen/heard a lot of suggestions/predictions on who will stay and who will be cut but one name I haven't seen mentioned in the cut category is FB Cecil Sapp. With Michael Pittman getting reps at fullback and Hillis looking like the FB of the very near future, I think there is a good chance that Sapp gets cut and Pittman gets the initial start of the season with Hillis slowly getting into the mix as the season progresses. The Broncos made a similar move with Kyle Johnson not too long ago and it makes sense to do the same thing again. This would give them a veteran presence in the backfield with Pittman and an emergency HB if needed. Spencer Larson could be used as an emergency FB if needed and Aldridge could be moved to the practice squad allowing the Broncos to keep a roster spot open for Ryan Torain once he is healthy again. That would give us the bruiser we need down the stretch!
Any thoughts?

Traveler
08-22-2008, 08:26 AM

Like most Bronco fans, I've been following the RB situation closely. I've seen/heard a lot of suggestions/predictions on who will stay and who will be cut but one name I haven't seen mentioned in the cut category is FB Cecil Sapp. With Michael Pittman getting reps at fullback and Hillis looking like the FB of the very near future, I think there is a good chance that Sapp gets cut and Pittman gets the initial start of the season with Hillis slowly getting into the mix as the season progresses. The Broncos made a similar move with Kyle Johnson not too long ago and it makes sense to do the same thing again. This would give them a veteran presence in the backfield with Pittman and an emergency HB if needed. Spencer Larson could be used as an emergency FB if needed and Aldridge could be moved to the practice squad allowing the Broncos to keep a roster spot open for Ryan Torain once he is healthy again. That would give us the bruiser we need down the stretch!
Any thoughts?

If anyone gets cut, my bet is that it's Pittman. Especially if he plays more this game than Sapp. They're bascially the same type of FB and Cecil has ST value.

Bronco Bible
08-22-2008, 08:50 AM
:welcome: Broncofaninfla

broncofaninfla
08-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks, great site and I'm looking forward to the season!!!!

Krugan
08-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Dont think Alridge will clear waivers to make i tto the PS.

The kid has wheels, it was shown in the Houston game. There are enough teams out there that would be willing to add him for a return guy, or that extra back.

Safest bet, keep him on the roster by removing Sapp/Pitmann.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Thanks, great site and I'm looking forward to the season!!!!

:welcome: to Broncos Forums - ENJOY - :salute:

Ziggy
08-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Dont think Alridge will clear waivers to make i tto the PS.The kid has wheels, it was shown in the Houston game. There are enough teams out there that would be willing to add him for a return guy, or that extra back.

Safest bet, keep him on the roster by removing Sapp/Pitmann.

I think the Broncos have a few young guys in that category. Alridge, Woodyard, Lichtensteiger, and Polumbus come to mind right off the bat. I think if they try to sneak any of them through waivers, they're gone.

LRtagger
08-22-2008, 09:10 AM
I would very much hate to lose a young talent like Alridge in order to keep a guy like Pittman on the roster :tsk:

underrated29
08-22-2008, 10:08 AM
I think its quite the opposite. Cecil is younger and he just signed an extension. he is also one of shannys favorites, and as you know those guys seem to stick around forever. Pittman is old and is only on a 1 year deal if i remember correctly.

I dont see pittman making the team before sapp does. Plus pittman to me looks slow and isnt moving the pile like he should.

But who knows right?

As long as hillis and torain are somehwere inthe mix i am happy.

jrelway
08-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Rookie Ryan Torain (elbow) is reportedly healing faster than expected and the Broncos are now targeting October 20 as his return date.

That's Week 7. It's still entirely possible that he'll be held out through the club's Week 8 bye, but this puts him back on the radar as a late-round pick. It's also still possible that Torain will end up on I.R., especially if the Broncos save a roster spot for C Tom Nalen (knee). ESPN's source on this is also Torain's agent, so take it with a grain of salt. For now at least, the Broncos' plan is to keep Torain active and hope the rest of their roster stays healthy.

Aug. 21 - 7:18 pm et
Source: ESPN.com

Traveler
08-22-2008, 12:32 PM

Any thoughts?

Welcome aboard!

SR
08-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Welcome to the boards. Good first post.

Here's my take on things. I've liked Torain since we picked him up. I think he's a solid pick and I think Shanny is right on the money when he says that he believes Torain has first round talent. But with him being hurt it's hard to say where his place on this team is. I'd like for us to keep Torain AND Hillis and cut Pittman and Aldridge, but we'll see how it plays out.

broncofaninfla
08-22-2008, 12:57 PM
I was thinking that if he was cut, Aldridge could clear waivers because of his size (or lack of it) and the unfair reputation the Broncos have for being able to stick anybody in our system pulling him off of most teams radars. But Aldridge is a exciting and super fast talent and it would be a risk. Like most, I am super excited about Hillis and Torain and the youth movement that seems to be moving this team in the right direction. I think there is a lot to having a veteran presence in each position and it seems that was the reason Pittman was brought in but with Young, Hall and the rookies performing so well, it became clear that fullback was Pittman’s best option to make the team and contribute that knowledge. Don’t get me wrong, knowledge alone won’t earn you a job in the NFL but it definitely an attribute. From what I’ve read, Pittman is looking pretty good at FB and Sapp hasn’t exactly been a stud FB for us to date. I think the RBBC approach will work fine for beginning of the season but really look for Hillis and Torain to emerge as the starters during the course of the season. Regardless of who’s in the backfield I’ll be cheering them on!!!

Thanks again for the welcome, this really is a very good site!

Superchop 7
08-22-2008, 06:11 PM
As far as Sapp and Pittman......don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Nalen and Torrain I keep out half the year.

I make a deal with the Jets for Caulcrick.

"definately" keep Alridge.

hamrob
08-22-2008, 07:49 PM
I think Pittman will be cut. I'd rather keep Sapp than Pittman. I think we keep:

Young
Hall
Torrain
Sapp
Hillis

However, we might decide to keep Pittman or Alridge for depth while Torrain is on the mend. I think that if we do this though...that we will only keep 5 WR's...which would mean (IMO) that both Parker and Martinez are gone.

Personally, I think we cut Aldrige and sign him to the practice squad and no I'm not worried "one bit" about anyone claiming him. Do you really think someone is going to add him to their 53 man roster? Hello...the kid wasn't even drafted. Yeah, I think he has some talent...i.e. speed, but I haven't seen anything all that impressive yet. He runs a little funny too. :-) I think his only chance to make the team this year is as a returner...if we don't want to risk injury to Royal.

lex
08-22-2008, 11:44 PM

Any thoughts?

I was able to listen to a little bit of the game on Sirius tonight. Packers announcers were doing the game and on one play they started raving about Pittman laying out a pass rusher with a block. I think we may keep him for reasons such as this.

MOtorboat
08-22-2008, 11:46 PM
The only reason Pittman might make the team is because Torain is hurt.

broncofaninfla
09-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Looks like they took my suggestion! Hillis, a star is born.

broncofaninfla
09-01-2008, 05:16 PM
I'd like to add that this is going to be a solid group and I predict we will be in the top 3 for team rushing this year!

broncofaninfla
09-02-2008, 08:06 AM
I bet it's safe to say Sapp has played his last days as a Bronco.

TheRecession
10-26-2008, 02:52 AM
We clearly need an elite RB running the rock back there for Cutler. I am sooooo tired of seeing the Pittmans, Halls and the Selvins of the world running the rock. I think its clear they miss to many holes and none of them are game changers.

Why cant we have a Wells or Moreno? Somebody who will consistantly get the job done and give us the big plays we need. As of right now even though our offensive line is good i do not think DC's respect our RB's

Scarface
10-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Why cant we have a Wells or Moreno?

They're still in college. That's why.:lol:

lex
10-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Because people have convinced themselves that 5th, 6th, and 7th round draft picks are the way to go...because, after all, Terrell Davis was a 6th round pick. People have convinced themeselves its better to have a mediocre talent go for 1000 than it is to have someone who is actually good run for over 1500.

I agree with you however. This approach that I pointed out above is minimizing what should be a strength.

Bronco9798
10-26-2008, 10:11 AM
We could win with the RB's we have. It's the turnovers that have wrecked havoc on this team, along with the talent on the defense. Give me a better defense and eliminate the turnovers and we could have a team that could make a run for a championship. A stud RB would be great, but it's far from the troubles of this team. Just my opinion.

BroncoJoe
10-26-2008, 10:12 AM
I'll wait and see if Torain can do anything.

Like, stay healthy for starters...

G_Money
10-26-2008, 11:14 AM
I was concerned about Torain's college injury, as foot surgery is usually worse than even knee surgery for a back's long-term prognosis. Busting his elbow is a freak-accident type of deal, but I'd really like to see him come back healthy and get the bulk of the carries down the stretch if he can handle them so we can see if he can be any sort of answer or if we need to think about DRAFTING A REAL RUNNING BACK ON THE FIRST DAY, Shanahan.

I'm still pissed about not grabbing Choice in the fourth. JMFW better turn into an absolute god out there. Torain being a stud would also help. I've compared his style to Ahman Green, so obviously I think he could be somebody. But it'd be nice if actually IS.

Cuz Selvin Young is injured again in limited action (no shocker there) and right now for some reason Hall can't hang on to the ball. I'm not letting Hall be the main ball carrier if he's gonna put it on the ground twice in 2 carries. He hasn't normally had a fumbling issue, but little guys can wind up with that problem, a la Eric Bienemy. It's usually a small-hands thing.

I hope Hall doesn't wind up with that problem because otherwise he's a good backup back.

But Selvin's failure again to stay healthy and Hall's fumbling propensity have forced Pittman to the fore, and he got rocked a bit against NE after having his best game in years the week before.

We aren't giving Hillis any carries, and are starting a linebacker ahead of him at FB. Whatever he said or did to get on Shanny's bad side, it's not looking good for him right now to be come a contributor any time soon. Which disappoints me, as I thought as a RB he might be able to really help us.

So what started out as a strong unit is crumbling to a weak one by the middle of the season. Hopefully Torain can come in, put up some hundred yard games, stay healthy and look like The Man.

Because otherwise - sooner or later - we're gonna HAVE to spend a higher round pick to get The Man.

And with so many good backs coming out last year, this year might not be the year to do it unless we do it really early - and that hampers our ability to fix our S/LB/DE/DT/everything else on defense needs.

Go Train. Please make Shanny look smart...

~G

BroncoJoe
10-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks, ~G for another outstanding post. Short, sweet and to the point.

:heh:

Not kidding about the outstanding post though...

elsid13
10-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Because people have convinced themselves that 5th, 6th, and 7th round draft picks are the way to go...because, after all, Terrell Davis was a 6th round pick. People have convinced themeselves its better to have a mediocre talent go for 1000 than it is to have someone who is actually good run for over 1500.

I agree with you however. This approach that I pointed out above is minimizing what should be a strength.

Lex

It not the fans thoughts that count. It what the coaching staff believes. They have been extremely successful in putting in a running game that has been the best in NFL for over 10 years.

If Shanahan, Turner and Dennison who do this for living think that they are on right track why should we whine about whose totting the ball for us. The issue isn't the ball carrier it turnovers.

lex
10-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Lex

It not the fans thoughts that count. It what the coaching staff believes. They have been extremely successful in putting in a running game that has been the best in NFL for over 10 years.

If Shanahan, Turner and Dennison who do this for living think that they are on right track why should we whine about whose totting the ball for us. The issue isn't the ball carrier it turnovers.

Whatever. The approach they have taken is an act of hubris and its no coincidence that the running game has become something that people complain about.

G_Money
10-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Whatever. The approach they have taken is an act of hubris and its no coincidence that the running game has become something that people complain about.

I would like to think, though, that Shanahan realized our running game problem was two-fold - even a great back couldn't make it through our slowly disintegrating line.

So he got Clady, Harris and Lichtensteiger in an attempt to shore up the group against the loss of Nalen, Lepsis etc.

Thus far it seems to be working. We'll see if Lick can be the guy to take over from Wiegmann and keep the success of the line going. Being the new center is a big responsibility, but I was happy when we drafted him because I think he's up to it.

OL have much longer careers than RBs on average. If Shanny's fixing the line first before getting the RB (average career: 2.5 years) that we need to make the SB push, fine.

If he thinks he can keep striking gold with undrafteds and late rounders until the end of time, that's another issue.

~G

lex
10-26-2008, 12:59 PM
I would like to think, though, that Shanahan realized our running game problem was two-fold - even a great back couldn't make it through our slowly disintegrating line.

So he got Clady, Harris and Lichtensteiger in an attempt to shore up the group against the loss of Nalen, Lepsis etc.

Thus far it seems to be working. We'll see if Lick can be the guy to take over from Wiegmann and keep the success of the line going. Being the new center is a big responsibility, but I was happy when we drafted him because I think he's up to it.

OL have much longer careers than RBs on average. If Shanny's fixing the line first before getting the RB (average career: 2.5 years) that we need to make the SB push, fine.

If he thinks he can keep striking gold with undrafteds and late rounders until the end of time, that's another issue.

~G

I actually wouldnt be opposed to drafting Mack either. I dont know where we will draft but if its around 20, I doubt Wells would be there, so the next best thing would be to get another interior OLineman to help the running game.

NameUsedBefore
10-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Our running game actually isn't that bad and we're essentially working with journeymen.

I still don't see any need to invest any high picks in a running-back just yet.

DenBronx
10-26-2008, 01:37 PM
with as many issues on defense it might be smart to go after proven free agents like we did with lynch and bailey but more so on the dline. haynesworth rings a bell and maybe trade for peppers. that alone might bring a force to our defense.

but im all for drafting an elite back on the first day. i wasnt last year because we needed a franchise lt and we got clady who has been outstanding. if moreno is in reach via trade then we need to deal for him. im not optomistic about torain and even if he does pan out to be a solid back then it still wouldnt hurt to have 2 quality backs. maybe we could trade young for a 2nd day pick...who knows.

Broncolingus
10-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Pittman has looked well when healthy...

Selvin is hurting (not shocking)...

Hall = turnovers likely ended his career here with Shanny...

Turnovers and DL and Safety's are the two MAJOR issues to address in that order this offseason...

SR
10-26-2008, 02:14 PM
We should trade up and try to pick up that stud DE from Texas in the draft.

Ziggy
10-26-2008, 02:20 PM
with as many issues on defense it might be smart to go after proven free agents like we did with lynch and bailey but more so on the dline. haynesworth rings a bell and maybe trade for peppers. that alone might bring a force to our defense.
but im all for drafting an elite back on the first day. i wasnt last year because we needed a franchise lt and we got clady who has been outstanding. if moreno is in reach via trade then we need to deal for him. im not optomistic about torain and even if he does pan out to be a solid back then it still wouldnt hurt to have 2 quality backs. maybe we could trade young for a 2nd day pick...who knows.

Haynesworth and Peppers will both be UDFA's at the end of the year. No need to trade for Peppers, just sign him of you want him.

Italianmobstr7
10-26-2008, 02:57 PM
We clearly need an elite RB running the rock back there for Cutler.

We might have an elite back. We don't know yet. Torain could be something special. I'm not ready to annoint him Terrell Davis just yet, but according to Shanny he's got some talent. Plus like 9798 said, we can win with the backs that we have. We just have to stop turning the ball over.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-26-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm actually o both sides of the fence here. I agree that we would be better off w/ a stud workhorse, but I also believe that we can win if the D gets fixed.

Given the potential talent pool at RB in this draft, I really would like us to get a RB in round 2. I dunno how the rankings will end up, but if the RBs who are expected to declare, declare we're looking at Wells, Moreno, James Davis, LeSean McCoy, Spiller and Ringer. Someone will slip into round 2. We obviously must go defense (S or MLB) in round 1, but after that it's wide open. As much as we'd still need defense, it'd be real hard to pass on a Davis, Spiller or McCoy (1 of em HAS to drop). Add to that the fact that we're loaded w/ draft picks and we have the ability to move up in both rounds 2 and 3 OR gain an additional pick in either round. All of these names has the potential to be the stud RB we've been lacking and we won't need to mortgage the future of the defense to procure one.

lex
10-26-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm actually o both sides of the fence here. I agree that we would be better off w/ a stud workhorse, but I also believe that we can win if the D gets fixed.

Given the potential talent pool at RB in this draft, I really would like us to get a RB in round 2. I dunno how the rankings will end up, but if the RBs who are expected to declare, declare we're looking at Wells, Moreno, James Davis, LeSean McCoy, Spiller and Ringer. Someone will slip into round 2. We obviously must go defense (S or MLB) in round 1, but after that it's wide open. As much as we'd still need defense, it'd be real hard to pass on a Davis, Spiller or McCoy (1 of em HAS to drop). Add to that the fact that we're loaded w/ draft picks and we have the ability to move up in both rounds 2 and 3 OR gain an additional pick in either round. All of these names has the potential to be the stud RB we've been lacking and we won't need to mortgage the future of the defense to procure one.

I read yesterday that Spiller is likely staying for his Sr year.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-26-2008, 07:25 PM
I read yesterday that Spiller is likely staying for his Sr year.

I'm not buying that at all. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I'll admit so...but that team is a trainwreck right now and the OLine is a disaster. When he sits down and assesses everything, I think he'll bolt for the $$$.

lex
10-26-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm not buying that at all. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I'll admit so...but that team is a trainwreck right now and the OLine is a disaster. When he sits down and assesses everything, I think he'll bolt for the $$$.

Im not saying youre wrong. I wasnt making a prediction. I was just passing on what I read.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-26-2008, 07:36 PM
cool...thanx

Skinny
10-26-2008, 07:55 PM
Spiller said he'll stay if intern coach Dabo Swinney stays on as Clemson's head coach next year.

Article (http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20081021/SPORTS0101/810210382/1025)

Definitely something to watch.

There's a rumor out of tiger town that AD Terry Don Phillips could push for Vanderbilts head coach Bobby Johnson, who's a Clemson graduate, to take over the program. How Swinney plays out the rest of this season will determine alot of course.

Simple Jaded
10-26-2008, 10:35 PM
There really isn't a RB worth taking over some defensive help, imo.

I haven't seen LeSean McCoy and Donald Brown, so maybe one of them are worth it.

I'm not all that impressed with Knowshon "What kind of name is Knowshon?" Moreno, I'm sure I'll get blasted for that but I'm just not.

James Davis is not a 1st round pick.

Spiller is tiny. Ringer? Ditto.

One of my favorite RB's is Stafon Johnson, but out of all the talented USC RunningBacks, you KNOW that Shanahan would rather convert their FB, Stanley Havili, instead.

All that leaves the Luckeye (And maybe McCoy) for anybody that needs a RB, he'll be long gone.

Besides, Shanahan has a hardon for Ryan Torain, he will be Denver's starting RB for at least a couple seasons......that's the reality of it......Shanahan THINKS he already has an elite RB......

SmilinAssasSin27
10-26-2008, 11:05 PM
LeSean is a bad boy. If he declares, I think he goes top 10-15. You don't break Tony Dorsett's records if ya can't play. He was the #1 RB recruit when he came out of HS and is not disappointing to this point. No way he drops to round 2, but if he did we'd have to jump all over it. I LOVE James Davis in round 2. To me, he'd be the guy for 6-8 years in our backfield...and we'd still get a stud defender in round 1.

G_Money
10-26-2008, 11:47 PM

I haven't seen LeSean McCoy and Donald Brown, so maybe one of them are worth it.

I'm not all that impressed with Knowshon "What kind of name is Knowshon?" Moreno, I'm sure I'll get blasted for that but I'm just not.

One of my favorite RB's is Stafon Johnson, but out of all the talented USC RunningBacks, you KNOW that Shanahan would rather convert their FB, Stanley Havili, instead.

All that leaves the Luckeye (And maybe McCoy) for anybody that needs a RB, he'll be long gone.

Besides, Shanahan has a hardon for Ryan Torain, he will be Denver's starting RB for at least a couple seasons......that's the reality of it......Shanahan THINKS he already has an elite RB......

LeSean McCoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vminOpCDFM4&feature=related

LT in college: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqu6SOzdpjg&feature=related

They're similar runners. Not that they're equal talents - there are few who can equal LT - but I like the way McCoy runs A LOT. I think he's a showboat, unlike LT, but as a runner there's a lot to like about him.

But if we wanted an early runner, the year to do that was last year. I was right, Matt Forte would have been devastating here.

I hope Torain can be equally as devastating. If not, I hope one of the good backs slip and we feel like biting this time.

The time has come, the walrus said, to draft us a damn quality running back.

~G

lex
10-27-2008, 07:46 PM
LeSean McCoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vminOpCDFM4&feature=related

LT in college: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqu6SOzdpjg&feature=related

They're similar runners. Not that they're equal talents - there are few who can equal LT - but I like the way McCoy runs A LOT. I think he's a showboat, unlike LT, but as a runner there's a lot to like about him.

But if we wanted an early runner, the year to do that was last year. I was right, Matt Forte would have been devastating here.

I hope Torain can be equally as devastating. If not, I hope one of the good backs slip and we feel like biting this time.

The time has come, the walrus said, to draft us a damn quality running back.

~G

Where is the best place to take a running back and who do you think it could/would be?

BTW, I dont think Ive mentioned this item until now but back during the Oakland game in wk 1, there was one particular play that Hall got the ball. He ran to his right and there was some clutter to his left. Hall was running in a straight line upfield but slightly to his right. Suddenly a defender flashed in front of him moveing left to right. Hall ran right into the tackle. And the shame was that it if he would have just avoided the tackle, he would have been off to the races. But the better running backs see this and react. The better running backs make that guy miss and are off to the races. It didnt matter as much that game since we won handily and what Im referring to wasnt really mentioned at the time either, presumable because it was a 10-ish yard game as it was. But it could have been a 70 or 80 yard run with a better RB. Ive liked what Young and Hall have given us for the most part, but there are instances where you can see why theyre not elite.

Now a play like what I described above could materialize in very meaningful games and cashing in on those opportunities could make a huge difference.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-27-2008, 09:11 PM
McCoy is a brilliant talent. He got hurt his senior year of HS at Harrisburg Bishop McDevitt and missed the 2nd half of the year. He admittedly let it get to him and his grades slipped. He had committed to the U. He ended up going to prep school and starred alongside Miami's current starting RB. After a year of prep he changed his mind and broke Dorsett's freshman rushing and TD marks at Pitt. He's a good kid. I've talked to him quite a few times. he's a little cocky on the field but doesn't cross the line. he's no thug. He wasn't hangin w/ the gangstas in harrisburg. he actually spent a lot of time at the YMCA w/ his girlfriend.

Since he did a year of prep, he is eligible for the draft and many feel he may declare. It's too bad that our D has so many holes cuz I really believe this kid is special and could be our answer. Unfortunately he'll likely be gone quite early. Maybe if Moreno and Wells both go ahead of him (not so sure) he may slip a bit...

lex
10-27-2008, 09:54 PM

Andre Brown is someone to consider. Also, I like Spiller. I dont see why he wouldnt benefit from playing under Turner. If he gets on a team where the field is opened up due to a competent QB that keeps the defenses honest and a team with WRs that block, watch out. He is tremendously explosive. But as was mentioned earlier, he is leaning toward staying--allegedly. But in any case, Brown is a talent that has been underutilized at NCState.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-27-2008, 10:25 PM
I love Brown as a bruiser, but can he cut back well enough to fit our scheme?

lex
10-27-2008, 11:04 PM
I love Brown as a bruiser, but can he cut back well enough to fit our scheme?

Yeah, it would be great to get Chris Wells but short of that, Spiller would be good for the reason youre mentioning. Great cutting and blazing speed.

G_Money
10-28-2008, 09:33 PM
I agree, peripheral vision is something all our backs lack. I wonder if it's a product of the "one cut and go" mentality that we want, that causes them to shut down the other options once they've made their choice.

It'd be nice to have a back with the vision and speed to make defenders look stupid and the strength to punish them when they are in the right place.

Three backs that interest me a lot at this point:

1) LeSean McCoy. If he can get through the interview, anyway. Like I said, I think he's a "me" player, more like Portis (though SA27's endorsement gives me hope that he just gets super-hyped up for games). But if I could GET Portis in here for a few years we could win something, so I'll take it. The kid has speed, hops, vision, strength... He could look even better in a real running attack, but Pitt's offense is kinda weird right now (like Clemson's is) so that could work to our benefit if he winds up sliding. LeSean's the only back I'd take in the first who might be there at our slot, and if he was there in the second I'd definitely snatch him up and giggle like a little schoolgirl. As much as I think you can wait for a RB til the 2nd or 3rd...I wouldn't wait too long on this one. I wish Boss was still around. I'd like to pick his brain about it, though I know he's a Knowshon guy all the way. I think Moreno's a good talent, but I guess I'm not a believer in his pro game. Not like I am with McCoy.

2) James Davis. He's matured this year personally from what I've seen, his stats are suffering mightily in that horrible maelstrom that is the Clemson Offense, and he's perfectly designed for our O. Perfect size, perfect speed, his cuts would lauch him through the zone gaps like a slingshot... He could suffer in some offenses (if Detroit were to get him he'll look like a bum) but in ours he'd fit it to a T. I know everyone says it, but sometimes that's cuz it's true. My guess is Kubes gets him in the 2nd before us. He needs a back too. Davis wouldn't fix your peripheral vision gripe tho Lex, IMO. Everything else he does pretty well. I wanted Forte because not only was he a really good back with the right technique for us, but he can also pass-protect like crazy and is good as a receiver out of the backfield too. Davis isn't as good a receiver but he doesn't seem to mind doing the dirty work on the field, and we need that.

3) Shonn Greene. I'm surprised nobody's brought him up yet. He hits the hole HARD. Everything about him has an edge of mean-ness to it. He's not gonna win any fancy-running awards but I love the determination, and he has those tree-trunk legs and leg drive of someone like Bettis. Arm tackles make him laugh, he's got a good stiff-arm and you have to knock him out of bounds - he's not strolling there voluntarily. I see him more in the Mike Anderson/Michael Pittman set of hard-nosed backs that move chains, but he could be more. I like him a lot, and I don't expect a huge 40 time out of him so he should be available a little later. He's fine on the field, though - his game speed is plenty for what I'm looking for and whether he's running for the edge or up the middle he's doing it as hard as he can.

I don't think Spiller is coming out (He wants a chance to be THE guy and be a top-5 pick, I think, which might be a mistake) and even Knowshon could go back to Georgia. If everybody who could come out, does, then LeSean probably goes 4th after Wells, Moreno and Spiller, Davis is in the next group with Ringer and the like, and Shonne Green is gonna have a lot riding on his combine. Bad combine, he falls to later in the 2nd day. Good combine...and weirdness ensues.

But this looks like a bad year to try to get a 2nd day back. It reminds me of 2007 actually, when Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch were the twin-tandem at the top and everybody else were also-rans with a variety of issues. If Spiller and Moreno come out, well and good. But if not then it's Wells, LeSean, and then a bunch of guys who are a little light in the seat and slightly-dodgy as 3rd down backs, or heavier but slower backs without a lot of pub.

This group of runners is not like last year's.

Since many teams TOOK a decent back last year, though, that could play in our favor if we choose to get one.

~G

studbucket
10-28-2008, 09:46 PM
3) Shonn Greene. I'm surprised nobody's brought him up yet. He hits the hole HARD. Everything about him has an edge of mean-ness to it. He's not gonna win any fancy-running awards but I love the determination, and he has those tree-trunk legs and leg drive of someone like Bettis. Arm tackles make him laugh, he's got a good stiff-arm and you have to knock him out of bounds - he's not strolling there voluntarily. I see him more in the Mike Anderson/Michael Pittman set of hard-nosed backs that move chains, but he could be more. I like him a lot, and I don't expect a huge 40 time out of him so he should be available a little later. He's fine on the field, though - his game speed is plenty for what I'm looking for and whether he's running for the edge or up the middle he's doing it as hard as he can.

I'm a Hawkeye homer, but I would love this pick. Watching Greene, Mike Anderson is exactly who I think of, and I'm glad you mentioned him.

Thanks for the great analysis in the above post. From what I understand though, Greene may not be coming out this year either, and he has a decision to make.

lex
10-29-2008, 07:31 AM
I agree, peripheral vision is something all our backs lack. I wonder if it's a product of the "one cut and go" mentality that we want, that causes them to shut down the other options once they've made their choice.

It'd be nice to have a back with the vision and speed to make defenders look stupid and the strength to punish them when they are in the right place.

Three backs that interest me a lot at this point:

1) LeSean McCoy. If he can get through the interview, anyway. Like I said, I think he's a "me" player, more like Portis (though SA27's endorsement gives me hope that he just gets super-hyped up for games). But if I could GET Portis in here for a few years we could win something, so I'll take it. The kid has speed, hops, vision, strength... He could look even better in a real running attack, but Pitt's offense is kinda weird right now (like Clemson's is) so that could work to our benefit if he winds up sliding. LeSean's the only back I'd take in the first who might be there at our slot, and if he was there in the second I'd definitely snatch him up and giggle like a little schoolgirl. As much as I think you can wait for a RB til the 2nd or 3rd...I wouldn't wait too long on this one. I wish Boss was still around. I'd like to pick his brain about it, though I know he's a Knowshon guy all the way. I think Moreno's a good talent, but I guess I'm not a believer in his pro game. Not like I am with McCoy.

2) James Davis. He's matured this year personally from what I've seen, his stats are suffering mightily in that horrible maelstrom that is the Clemson Offense, and he's perfectly designed for our O. Perfect size, perfect speed, his cuts would lauch him through the zone gaps like a slingshot... He could suffer in some offenses (if Detroit were to get him he'll look like a bum) but in ours he'd fit it to a T. I know everyone says it, but sometimes that's cuz it's true. My guess is Kubes gets him in the 2nd before us. He needs a back too. Davis wouldn't fix your peripheral vision gripe tho Lex, IMO. Everything else he does pretty well. I wanted Forte because not only was he a really good back with the right technique for us, but he can also pass-protect like crazy and is good as a receiver out of the backfield too. Davis isn't as good a receiver but he doesn't seem to mind doing the dirty work on the field, and we need that.

I don't think Spiller is coming out (He wants a chance to be THE guy and be a top-5 pick, I think, which might be a mistake) and even Knowshon could go back to Georgia. If everybody who could come out, does, then LeSean probably goes 4th after Wells, Moreno and Spiller, Davis is in the next group with Ringer and the like, and Shonne Green is gonna have a lot riding on his combine. Bad combine, he falls to later in the 2nd day. Good combine...and weirdness ensues.

But this looks like a bad year to try to get a 2nd day back. It reminds me of 2007 actually, when Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch were the twin-tandem at the top and everybody else were also-rans with a variety of issues. If Spiller and Moreno come out, well and good. But if not then it's Wells, LeSean, and then a bunch of guys who are a little light in the seat and slightly-dodgy as 3rd down backs, or heavier but slower backs without a lot of pub.

This group of runners is not like last year's.

Since many teams TOOK a decent back last year, though, that could play in our favor if we choose to get one.

~G

You make a good point with that last sentence. I was looking at the top ten as it would be right now and most have a RB already and in some cases two. I was not that big on Moreno but having watched him more this season, I have come around. The guy has what Marv Levy called the most important attribute for a RB: balance. Moreno has great balance.

One thing that bothers me about McCoy is his average per carry. Even running behind Otah and McGlynn last year, he only averaged around 5.0 per carry. I think he has a good burst and runs with his feet under him but Im not sure he has great speed.

underrated29
10-29-2008, 10:50 AM
I dont follow college, so i only know the talents once the draft starts to roll around.

But i liked the video of that mccoy kid. Doesnt run as hard as id like, and had some big wholes to run with. But i liked his ball security, his wiggle and his burst. Looks to have a VERY fast acceleration. In our scheme that acceleration will get him 10 yards before being touched. I am not a fan of RB in the first, or second as long as torain is pimping, if not I would take this guy first.

I have only seen a little film of wells, and moreno. I dont like moreno for the broncos. He reminds me of a weaker felix jones. Tons of speed and wiggle, and such, but not enough power. A team like indy, ne, houston would be where i would think he would excell.

Wells doesnt seem to use his strength all that well. I will need to see more footage as i have only seen about 2 minutes of each. But you have me sold on lesean.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Wells is deceptively a stud. He doesn't look the part so much, but dude is damn effective.