PDA

View Full Version : Operation: Bring the Broncos back!

RebelRocker
11-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Regime Proposal
The Denver Broncos
2010 and beyond

With the 2010 season fading for the Denver Broncos, many fans have found their different outlets to place their blame for such a “dud” of a season. Some of the excuses that have been brought to our attention are
-injuries to key players (Dumervil, Ayers, o-line early in the year, etc)
-Difficult record
-too many rookies playing
And finally, the coaching. Obviously this is a hot topic to debate among fans as to whether we’ll have a new coach and following regime in the 2011 season. While we can all debate the positives and negatives of making such drastic moves, some enlightening suggestions have been made.

Everybody from Bill Cowher to Rob Ryan has been speculated to get serious consideration as the replacement to Josh McDaniels. I, among many other disgruntled fans, have been scrambling to make our cases for our coaching possibilities. It’s hard to determine what will happen after the season considering there are still 6 regular season games left and many coaching possibilities may or may not be even available to come in and interview sooner than expected. Who knows, McDaniels may be held onto for ONE more year (I hope not, it’s time to move on).

With that said, I had a revelation today. Many of us want the instant switch with our head coach, but it’s not that easy. Maybe we’re approaching this situation the wrong way. Make no mistake, I think its McD’s time to go, but maybe there’s another way of going about this first. Before you ask me what way would work best for Josh McDaniel’s departure, think about this. How are all of the elite teams successful today? How do they keep their teams competitive annually with Free Agency, the salary cap and uncertainties in the draft? It’s simple. The best organizations stay competitive because they have a sense of balance. Yes, BALANCE. This team has spent years trying to balance the power between personnel and the coaching staff, only to find themselves unsuccessful and out of the job. This organization starts with a solid structure and it begins with the general manager. Again, many have speculated who could fill this seemingly vacant position. Some think that Bill “big tuna” Parcells could sweep in for a couple of years and make everything better. That’s all fine and good, but he’s going to prove to be costly. We have to re-store a sense of pride and confidence within the organization. For somebody to come into this position and have success for the long run, they would have to be somebody that personally knows the franchise and understands the fans from a personal perspective. We need somebody that has strong ties to the team and the community. Somebody that is well known and respected among his peers. Ladies and gentlemen, that somebody may be right under our nose……And his name…. Is Mark Schlereth.

Before I hear the “YEAH, but...” or the “NO WAYS!” take this into consideration.
Pros of Hiring Mark Schlereth
Former Broncos player
Was considered for a vacant GM job in Washington many years back
High football IQ
Can identify with players
Still lives in Denver and is still a follower of the team
Wants to help the team
Another way to energize franchise, fan base
Would come in on a MUCH cheaper price tag than a Parcells, Accorsi, Polian etc.
His philosophy is simple, but EFFECTIVE “ALL football games are WON in the trenches.”

Cons of Hiring Mark Schlereth-
No previous GM experience
May need more of a complete staff to help him with certain situations

As I mentioned above, Mark Schlereth (otherwise known as “Stink” to former teammates and fans) has a simple, but effective football philosophy. He is a staunch believer in when the going gets tough, have some tough guys up front. We have lacked a sense of ferocity and swagger for YEARS on both sides of the line. With Stink as our GM, you be rest assured that the first thing he’ll do in his position is to solidify both sides of the line through the draft and not go out to patch together units through free agency. As a former offensive lineman for the “Hogs” in Washington and for us in Denver, he’s personally witnessed what being tough in the trenches does for a team (he won 3 super bowls in his career to go along with blocking for two of the best rushing offenses at the time). He knows what was successful here in Denver and he wants to restore the smash mouth, old school “Broncos” mentality to the team.
He maintains his residence in Denver and still follows the team professionally (as an analyst for ESPN) and as a fan (for the radio show, The Drive, on 104.3 the fan). He proudly wears his Orange and blue glasses and defends the team when the opportunity arises. You can see he still cares for the team and would love an opportunity to help the team in any way he can.

Hypothetically speaking, If Schlereth became our GM, this what I think he would do.
First of all, I don’t think Xanders will get the axe (regardless of what some may think). It might be wise to keep him around in a VP of personnel sort of role. He and Stink could work together in a system of checks and balances. As someone with no previous experience as a General Manager, having someone in Xanders to handle contracts and such would be beneficial to Schlereth. He could focus his time onto scouting and bringing in the right players while Xanders would number crunch the contracts and work with the agents.

Now……………………..Onto the 11.9 million dollar question (That’s how much we’re paying McDaniels for his whole contract, F.Y.I).

Who would be the head coach?

I know everybody wants the big splash, but I don’t think it’ll happen. If we’re going to make a coaching change, it’s going to be a logical and efficient one. With that said, here’s my choice for a head coach.

Head Coach- Russ Grimm
Current position- Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line- Arizona Cardinals
Russ is a hall of fame player with a rich history in the offensive line. Not only did he dominate the trenches as a player, he has a proven record of having great offensive line play as a coach. He has spent most of his coaching career with the Steelers and followed former Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt to the Cardinals in the same role. Some of you may not know this, but it was widely speculated that Grimm was the leading candidate to replace Bill Cowher and at one point, supposedly got the Steelers head coaching job over Mike Tomlin. What happened to all that speculation, I don’t know, but he’s still a hot candidate to be a head coach. He’s a good friend and former “hog” teammate of Mark Schlereth in Washington and he practices what Stink preaches in his philosophy. It’s a very realistic hire that can give us some stability and it allows him to be JUST a coach (As personnel decisions will be made by Schlereth and Xanders.

Now…. Onto his staff.

Offensive Coordinator- Gary Kubiak
Current Position- Head coach of the Houston Texans
Many Broncos fans want Kubiak to come back to the Mile High City, in the event that he is fired (In all likelihood, he will be). In my opinion, Kubiak should be brought back to be our offensive coordinator long-term. I think what Dick LeBeau means for the Steelers defense is what Gary Kubiak should mean for the Broncos offense. He belongs in Denver and we could give him an opportunity to have solid job security as our offensive coordinator. After his tenure in Houston, I doubt anybody will consider Kubiak for another head coaching gig.

Defensive Coordinator- Wade Phillips
I know. I know. I know. This may be a stretch. But let’s face it….. We need a QUALITY DC and Wade needs some job security. Grimm has spent most of his career with teams based in the 3-4 defense and I think he would continue the trend, if he became a head coach.

Special teams Coordinator- Bob Ligashesky
Nothing special here. He’s been a special teams coordinator before and it’s just an easy hire.

I know the big reason why people think we won’t fire Josh McDaniels this year is because Pat Bowlen won’t want to pay for three head coaches in one year. That may be a valid point, but I think the idea of paying three coaches is more extravagant than the numbers behind it.
Wasted Players
Chris Simms- two years, 3,446,500. Signing bonus- 1.5 million
Jarvis Green-2.5 million signing bonus
Alphonso Smith-2.15 million signing bonus
Richard Quinn-910,000 signing bonus (I know he’s still with the team, but he has been a waste up to this point)
If we could waste over seven million dollars in dead money on a few players that spent one year with us, then I think we could deal with the current situation and pay three head coaches for ONE year.

That is what I think we need to do moving forward and hopefully this can be the start of something. As a fan, I’ve taken my fair share of grief and despair for my beloved Broncos, but I’ve never been so adamant about making a drastic change to the team like I am right now. As supporters of this great franchise, we need to make our disgruntled voices heard and accepted. A move like this could be a HUGE step in the right direction for the greater good of the franchise.
Operation: Bring back the Broncos!!!
Join the fight!

RebelRocker
11-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Here's the link to the petition, for those interested in signing.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stinkforgm/

Operation:Bring back the Broncos
Join the fight!

:defense:

WARHORSE
11-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Regime Proposal
The Denver Broncos
2010 and beyond

With the 2010 season fading for the Denver Broncos, many fans have found their different outlets to place their blame for such a “dud” of a season. Some of the excuses that have been brought to our attention are
-injuries to key players (Dumervil, Ayers, o-line early in the year, etc)
-Difficult record
-too many rookies playing
And finally, the coaching. Obviously this is a hot topic to debate among fans as to whether we’ll have a new coach and following regime in the 2011 season. While we can all debate the positives and negatives of making such drastic moves, some enlightening suggestions have been made.

Everybody from Bill Cowher to Rob Ryan has been speculated to get serious consideration as the replacement to Josh McDaniels. I, among many other disgruntled fans, have been scrambling to make our cases for our coaching possibilities. It’s hard to determine what will happen after the season considering there are still 6 regular season games left and many coaching possibilities may or may not be even available to come in and interview sooner than expected. Who knows, McDaniels may be held onto for ONE more year (I hope not, it’s time to move on).

With that said, I had a revelation today. Many of us want the instant switch with our head coach, but it’s not that easy. Maybe we’re approaching this situation the wrong way. Make no mistake, I think its McD’s time to go, but maybe there’s another way of going about this first. Before you ask me what way would work best for Josh McDaniel’s departure, think about this. How are all of the elite teams successful today? How do they keep their teams competitive annually with Free Agency, the salary cap and uncertainties in the draft? It’s simple. The best organizations stay competitive because they have a sense of balance. Yes, BALANCE. This team has spent years trying to balance the power between personnel and the coaching staff, only to find themselves unsuccessful and out of the job. This organization starts with a solid structure and it begins with the general manager. Again, many have speculated who could fill this seemingly vacant position. Some think that Bill “big tuna” Parcells could sweep in for a couple of years and make everything better. That’s all fine and good, but he’s going to prove to be costly. We have to re-store a sense of pride and confidence within the organization. For somebody to come into this position and have success for the long run, they would have to be somebody that personally knows the franchise and understands the fans from a personal perspective. We need somebody that has strong ties to the team and the community. Somebody that is well known and respected among his peers. Ladies and gentlemen, that somebody may be right under our nose……And his name…. Is Mark Schlereth.

Before I hear the “YEAH, but...” or the “NO WAYS!” take this into consideration.
Pros of Hiring Mark Schlereth
Former Broncos player
Was considered for a vacant GM job in Washington many years back
High football IQ
Can identify with players
Still lives in Denver and is still a follower of the team
Wants to help the team
Another way to energize franchise, fan base
Would come in on a MUCH cheaper price tag than a Parcells, Accorsi, Polian etc.
His philosophy is simple, but EFFECTIVE “ALL football games are WON in the trenches.”

Cons of Hiring Mark Schlereth-
No previous GM experience
May need more of a complete staff to help him with certain situations

As I mentioned above, Mark Schlereth (otherwise known as “Stink” to former teammates and fans) has a simple, but effective football philosophy. He is a staunch believer in when the going gets tough, have some tough guys up front. We have lacked a sense of ferocity and swagger for YEARS on both sides of the line. With Stink as our GM, you be rest assured that the first thing he’ll do in his position is to solidify both sides of the line through the draft and not go out to patch together units through free agency. As a former offensive lineman for the “Hogs” in Washington and for us in Denver, he’s personally witnessed what being tough in the trenches does for a team (he won 3 super bowls in his career to go along with blocking for two of the best rushing offenses at the time). He knows what was successful here in Denver and he wants to restore the smash mouth, old school “Broncos” mentality to the team.
He maintains his residence in Denver and still follows the team professionally (as an analyst for ESPN) and as a fan (for the radio show, The Drive, on 104.3 the fan). He proudly wears his Orange and blue glasses and defends the team when the opportunity arises. You can see he still cares for the team and would love an opportunity to help the team in any way he can.

Hypothetically speaking, If Schlereth became our GM, this what I think he would do.
First of all, I don’t think Xanders will get the axe (regardless of what some may think). It might be wise to keep him around in a VP of personnel sort of role. He and Stink could work together in a system of checks and balances. As someone with no previous experience as a General Manager, having someone in Xanders to handle contracts and such would be beneficial to Schlereth. He could focus his time onto scouting and bringing in the right players while Xanders would number crunch the contracts and work with the agents.

Now……………………..Onto the 11.9 million dollar question (That’s how much we’re paying McDaniels for his whole contract, F.Y.I).

Who would be the head coach?

I know everybody wants the big splash, but I don’t think it’ll happen. If we’re going to make a coaching change, it’s going to be a logical and efficient one. With that said, here’s my choice for a head coach.

Head Coach- Russ Grimm
Current position- Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line- Arizona Cardinals
Russ is a hall of fame player with a rich history in the offensive line. Not only did he dominate the trenches as a player, he has a proven record of having great offensive line play as a coach. He has spent most of his coaching career with the Steelers and followed former Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt to the Cardinals in the same role. Some of you may not know this, but it was widely speculated that Grimm was the leading candidate to replace Bill Cowher and at one point, supposedly got the Steelers head coaching job over Mike Tomlin. What happened to all that speculation, I don’t know, but he’s still a hot candidate to be a head coach. He’s a good friend and former “hog” teammate of Mark Schlereth in Washington and he practices what Stink preaches in his philosophy. It’s a very realistic hire that can give us some stability and it allows him to be JUST a coach (As personnel decisions will be made by Schlereth and Xanders.

Now…. Onto his staff.

Offensive Coordinator- Gary Kubiak
Current Position- Head coach of the Houston Texans
Many Broncos fans want Kubiak to come back to the Mile High City, in the event that he is fired (In all likelihood, he will be). In my opinion, Kubiak should be brought back to be our offensive coordinator long-term. I think what Dick LeBeau means for the Steelers defense is what Gary Kubiak should mean for the Broncos offense. He belongs in Denver and we could give him an opportunity to have solid job security as our offensive coordinator. After his tenure in Houston, I doubt anybody will consider Kubiak for another head coaching gig.

Defensive Coordinator- Wade Phillips
I know. I know. I know. This may be a stretch. But let’s face it….. We need a QUALITY DC and Wade needs some job security. Grimm has spent most of his career with teams based in the 3-4 defense and I think he would continue the trend, if he became a head coach.

Special teams Coordinator- Bob Ligashesky
Nothing special here. He’s been a special teams coordinator before and it’s just an easy hire.

I know the big reason why people think we won’t fire Josh McDaniels this year is because Pat Bowlen won’t want to pay for three head coaches in one year. That may be a valid point, but I think the idea of paying three coaches is more extravagant than the numbers behind it.
Wasted Players
Chris Simms- two years, 3,446,500. Signing bonus- 1.5 million
Jarvis Green-2.5 million signing bonus
Alphonso Smith-2.15 million signing bonus
Richard Quinn-910,000 signing bonus (I know he’s still with the team, but he has been a waste up to this point)
If we could waste over seven million dollars in dead money on a few players that spent one year with us, then I think we could deal with the current situation and pay three head coaches for ONE year.

That is what I think we need to do moving forward and hopefully this can be the start of something. As a fan, I’ve taken my fair share of grief and despair for my beloved Broncos, but I’ve never been so adamant about making a drastic change to the team like I am right now. As supporters of this great franchise, we need to make our disgruntled voices heard and accepted. A move like this could be a HUGE step in the right direction for the greater good of the franchise.
Operation: Bring back the Broncos!!!
Join the fight!

Keep McD, I think he turns it around. :beer:

SmilinAssasSin27
11-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Bold. Detailed. I like it.

And since Shanny is coaching, is Bowlen still paying for him?

RebelRocker
11-24-2010, 10:42 PM
Bold. Detailed. I like it.

And since Shanny is coaching, is Bowlen still paying for him?

Yes, through next year. It would be worth it to pay that large sum for ONE year if it's for the greater good of the franchise.

Shazam!
11-25-2010, 02:47 AM
Mark Schlereth for OL Coach. That's about it right now.

Italianmobstr7
11-25-2010, 03:40 AM
While this thread clearly had a thought of thought put into it, I've gotta say, it's quite a bad idea. No reason to get rid of McD after 2 seasons. When you're doing a complete overhaul, things take time. Getting rid of McD would just stall Tebow's learning of the offense because he'd have to learn a brand new one all over again. Also, no thanks to Schlereth being our GM. I like the guy, but don't trust him to be our GM. People keep complaining about "fixing the trenches" but we've drafted a bunch of OL in the past 2 years and 2 of them are starting for us as rookies... We DO need to fix the DL which a lot of us thought would be fixed w/ Jarvis Green, Bannan, and Williams. Obviously that isn't the case. I'd be shocked if we don't draft some younger DL in the next draft and probably early in the draft. I still have faith that McD will get this thing turned around. Give him some more time before calling for his head. It's been a year and a half...

Canmore
11-25-2010, 03:49 AM
...I still have faith that McD will get this thing turned around. Give him some more time before calling for his head. It's been a year and a half...

In a year and a half McDaniels has turned this team into the worst Broncos team since the early 70's. How much worse does it have to get?

Dzone
11-25-2010, 03:52 AM
$11.9 Million for Mcd?
Wow

Bosco
11-25-2010, 04:45 AM
While this thread clearly had a thought of thought put into it, I've gotta say, it's quite a bad idea. No reason to get rid of McD after 2 seasons. When you're doing a complete overhaul, things take time. Getting rid of McD would just stall Tebow's learning of the offense because he'd have to learn a brand new one all over again. Also, no thanks to Schlereth being our GM. I like the guy, but don't trust him to be our GM. People keep complaining about "fixing the trenches" but we've drafted a bunch of OL in the past 2 years and 2 of them are starting for us as rookies... We DO need to fix the DL which a lot of us thought would be fixed w/ Jarvis Green, Bannan, and Williams. Obviously that isn't the case. I'd be shocked if we don't draft some younger DL in the next draft and probably early in the draft. I still have faith that McD will get this thing turned around. Give him some more time before calling for his head. It's been a year and a half...

I agree. This has been a very rough season, but this team is really not that far off. We're pretty much ready to go at every position except the defensive line, which is certainly going to be upgraded in the offseason. Another offseason to regroup and add the few remaining pieces we need and if this team is still under performing in 2011, go ahead and pull the plug and start all over in 2012.

Dirk
11-25-2010, 08:35 AM
I agree. This has been a very rough season, but this team is really not that far off. We're pretty much ready to go at every position except the defensive line, which is certainly going to be upgraded in the offseason. Another offseason to regroup and add the few remaining pieces we need and if this team is still under performing in 2011, go ahead and pull the plug and start all over in 2012.

I agree totally.

You can't change the philosophy of a team and go to a bigger and stronger one in a year and a half. People need to understand that.

Now, if McD does nothing to upgrade the defense in the next draft then I say he should be fired. The defense is in need of some young talent. In all areas. And I mean TALENT, not just "good guys".

Tned
11-25-2010, 10:24 AM
In a year and a half McDaniels has turned this team into the worst Broncos team since the early 70's. How much worse does it have to get?

There was a fundamental disagreement between those that liked and didn't like McD's personnel moves during his first 12-14 months as HC. Many of us did not think that the scorched earth approach was necessary, especially on the offense.

However, once your have taken the "burn it to the ground and start rebuilding it" approach, then IMO it would be foolish of the Broncos to not give him until at least next year to finish that rebuild.

Changing horses (HC's) at this point in the game will only insure that it's even longer before the Broncos could possibly be competitive.

Tned
11-25-2010, 10:31 AM
$11.9 Million for Mcd?
Wow

That's the ballpark, $12 million over 4 years, that all those new HC's got that year.

broncofaninfla
11-25-2010, 10:32 AM

Isn't that far off? From what? The first pick in the draft? We need help at far more than one position. And what gives you optimism with Mcd/Ellis/Xanders in upgrading the defensive line? Supposedly they did that this off season and look what we ended up with. Williams well past his prime, Bannan who is no better than the average back up in the league and yet another NE reject who couldn't even make the team on a team that is VERY weak on the DL. This offseasons upgrades at DL didn't work at all, we still suck. Sorry, unless Denver makes change with one or all of the Mcd/Ellis/Xanders tandem I have NO faith these guys can ever get it right. One or all three need to go in order to move this team back in the right direction.

RebelRocker
11-25-2010, 10:43 AM
There was a fundamental disagreement between those that liked and didn't like McD's personnel moves during his first 12-14 months as HC. Many of us did not think that the scorched earth approach was necessary, especially on the offense.

However, once your have taken the "burn it to the ground and start rebuilding it" approach, then IMO it would be foolish of the Broncos to not give him until at least next year to finish that rebuild.

Changing horses (HC's) at this point in the game will only insure that it's even longer before the Broncos could possibly be competitive.

Not exactly. The Dolphins went from 1-15 one year to 11-5 and winning their division the next. I'm sorry, but he has no excuses. I'm not saying we should fire him now or not even give him another year, I just think we need more balance in the organization with the possibility of getting rid of him. We need a seperation of power between the FO and the coaching staff. GM titles should be EARNED with coaches, not given to them on their first time as a head coach. McD has WAY too much power for a young coach. Usually, I would agree with other posters on this thread. Every coach should be given 3 years to develop their team, but McDaniels has made too many risky moves and burned too many bridges to DESERVE a 3rd year. If we we're having this kind of season LAST year, then I wouldn't have a problem with him. It would have been totally understandable. He was in his first year with a lot of changes. Unfortunately for him, he got off to a hot start and has fizzled ever since.

Tned
11-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Not exactly. The Dolphins went from 1-15 one year to 11-5 and winning their division the next. I'm sorry, but he has no excuses. I'm not saying we should fire him now or not even give him another year, I just think we need more balance in the organization with the possibility of getting rid of him. We need a seperation of power between the FO and the coaching staff. GM titles should be EARNED with coaches, not given to them on their first time as a head coach. McD has WAY too much power for a young coach. Usually, I would agree with other posters on this thread. Every coach should be given 3 years to develop their team, but McDaniels has made too many risky moves and burned too many bridges to DESERVE a 3rd year. If we we're having this kind of season LAST year, then I wouldn't have a problem with him. It would have been totally understandable. He was in his first year with a lot of changes. Unfortunately for him, he got off to a hot start and has fizzled ever since.

What did Miami's roster look like? Did they turn over 2/3 of their roster? Plenty of teams have had record turnarounds, but it typically is a roster/coaching philosophy coming together.

Let's be clear. I didn't think McDaniels should be given full control, ala Shanahan, which by all accounts is roughly the power he has. I was very critical of some of his personnel moves. I'm in the camp that thought that first draft and FA signings should have been focused on fixing the D, not tearing down and rebuilding the O.

All I'm saying is that once the front office has bought in, or allowed, the scorched earth approach to blowing up most of the roster and replacing them, then I think it's foolish to not see it through. You fire McDaniels now, and the next coach will have his scheme/philosophy and want to replace McD's players with those that fit his picture of what the Broncos should be.

You pull the trigger too quickly, and chances are you are now into another 2-3 year rebuild, which will result in intense fan pressure to fire the next coach 18 months into his tenure, and then you are in the full blown coach carousel.

MasterShake
11-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Keep McD through next year. The biggest problem was that we were promised a competitive team when we hired a new coach to bring with him the Philosophy of the Patriots. The team and scheme we had did not fit that mold and I think it takes a few (2-3) seasons to build your team to fit a new scheme. I think as others have said if we pull the trigger now we start this miserable cycle of the last two years all over. This team with some help in FA and the draft can make a push next year IMO. If they don't, time to try a new approach. I think patience will pay off.

UnderArmour
11-25-2010, 11:51 AM
So we should fire McDaniels and hire a former player and TV analyst with no prior GM experience and give him full control over personnel decisions. For some reason the suggest scenario sounds so familiar! I wonder what happened to the team that did that. They must have had tremendous success doing so, it just seems like an idea that is too good to fail.

On a completely unrelated note, at least we aren't the Detroit Lions who brought in Matt Millen, a former player and TV analyst to become their General Manager with no prior experience. Glad you're not suggesting we do something crazy like that... Oh wait. Shit.

Nomad
11-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Keep McD through next year. The biggest problem was that we were promised a competitive team when we hired a new coach to bring with him the Philosophy of the Patriots. The team and scheme we had did not fit that mold and I think it takes a few (2-3) seasons to build your team to fit a new scheme. I think as others have said if we pull the trigger now we start this miserable cycle of the last two years all over. This team with some help in FA and the draft can make a push next year IMO. If they don't, time to try a new approach. I think patience will pay off.

I like your take on this but I believe McDaniels could use a little guidance in drafting though especially defense!! Perhaps send Xanders down the road and get a proven GM in here!!

RebelRocker
11-25-2010, 12:56 PM
So we should fire McDaniels and hire a former player and TV analyst with no prior GM experience and give him full control over personnel decisions. For some reason the suggest scenario sounds so familiar! I wonder what happened to the team that did that. They must have had tremendous success doing so, it just seems like an idea that is too good to fail.

On a completely unrelated note, at least we aren't the Detroit Lions who brought in Matt Millen, a former player and TV analyst to become their General Manager with no prior experience. Glad you're not suggesting we do something crazy like that... Oh wait. Shit.

If you listened to Schlereth's conversation on the Drive, you would understand his M.O. Apparently, some people haven't read the article. My plan would be to bring more BALANCE into the organization. Why would we let a young head coach have as much power as he has right now? Bringing in a high powered GM to run things isn't realistic, either. I suggest that Schlereth be brought in to work WITH Xanders in a system of CHECKS AND BALANCES. Schlereth can handle scouting and player interraction while Xanders deals with contracts and agents. It makes absolutely NO sense in giving ONE person total authoritative control in an organization. We need balance and a seperation of the coaching staff and the personnel department.

Bosco
11-25-2010, 03:45 PM
I agree totally.

You can't change the philosophy of a team and go to a bigger and stronger one in a year and a half. People need to understand that.

Now, if McD does nothing to upgrade the defense in the next draft then I say he should be fired. The defense is in need of some young talent. In all areas. And I mean TALENT, not just "good guys".

If he doesn't upgrade the defensive line in the offseason, there is a very good chance I'll be dragging his ass out of Dove Valley myself. Thankfully, I doubt that will be required. :D

Isn't that far off? From what? The first pick in the draft? We need help at far more than one position. And what gives you optimism with Mcd/Ellis/Xanders in upgrading the defensive line? Supposedly they did that this off season and look what we ended up with. Williams well past his prime, Bannan who is no better than the average back up in the league and yet another NE reject who couldn't even make the team on a team that is VERY weak on the DL. This offseasons upgrades at DL didn't work at all, we still suck. Sorry, unless Denver makes change with one or all of the Mcd/Ellis/Xanders tandem I have NO faith these guys can ever get it right. One or all three need to go in order to move this team back in the right direction.

What positions need upgrading? QB? Nope, we're stocked there, ditto for receivers. Running backs? Could use some depth but we have the two primary backs already. The offensive line is pretty well taken care of minus some tackle depth maybe. The linebackers will be fine with everyone healthy next year. The corners are contingent on getting Champ extended or tagged. That leaves us with our most glaring need along the DL and at SS and with four picks in the first three rounds, we could easily walk out of there with the stud DE, NT and SS we need.

BORDERLINE
11-25-2010, 04:00 PM
My only concern is if Stink has enough experience. MATT MILLEN comes to mind whenever ex-players become GM's..something to think about

RebelRocker
11-25-2010, 04:08 PM
My only concern is if Stink has enough experience. MATT MILLEN comes to mind whenever ex-players become GM's..something to think about

For those making that comparison to Matt Millen, go to the Drive's page on 104.3 the fan and listen to the two podcasts where they talk about Stink as a GM. He said if he were a GM, there would be two things he'd NEVER do. He said he would never draft a receiver and a quarterback in the first round. He understands that football games are won in the trenches.

Lancane
11-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Honestly, McDaniels bit of more then he could chew, he thought his teeth were cut with his experience under Bill Belichick, but what he did not seem to realize is that Belichick had vastly more experience to become the coach he is today or was before being hired as the head coach of the New England Patriots.

My personal, honest assessment is that Bowlen or the Board of Directors needs to force Joe Ellis somewhat to the back of the forefront, he's too much apart of the problem in the eyes of the public and fandom. Secondly, they need to look outside the box, to find someone who understands talent at both levels and name him the General Manager, therein giving him full control, above all others besides Bowlen and the board themselves; Brian Xanders should be made Secretary to the Head Coach, cause that is pretty much what he is now...but decision making should be stripped from him completely and without hesitation. It should be upon the G.M. to evaluate the coaching staff, and that if he finds them lacking they be replaced by coaches he sees fit that can work with McDaniels.

We need to see more of the future then the past; too many players have gotten positions via favoritism instead of by ability...when you consider that a large part of the roster is made up of guys who likely would be cut from the majority of teams around the league? There is an issue in the way he seems to think a team is created, we don't even have enough talent to say we have a core to build around at this time.

Lastly, McDaniels needs to make up his F'n mind, who does he want as the future of this team...if it's Tebow then get on with it, because by pulling the shit he has, he's made it an unstable situation. It's unfair to Orton, to Quinn and to Tebow. Right now we have three quarterbacks that most teams have slated as possible starters? He's not doing them any favors with his egotistical mannerisms and half-assed decision making.

That...or just show his ass to the door, because if he continues down the path he's headed, then this team is headed for a long stint in the shitter!

broncofaninfla
11-25-2010, 04:51 PM
If he doesn't upgrade the defensive line in the offseason, there is a very good chance I'll be dragging his ass out of Dove Valley myself. Thankfully, I doubt that will be required. :D

What positions need upgrading? QB? Nope, we're stocked there, ditto for receivers. Running backs? Could use some depth but we have the two primary backs already. The offensive line is pretty well taken care of minus some tackle depth maybe. The linebackers will be fine with everyone healthy next year. The corners are contingent on getting Champ extended or tagged. That leaves us with our most glaring need along the DL and at SS and with four picks in the first three rounds, we could easily walk out of there with the stud DE, NT and SS we need.

Both the Oline and Dline get dominated on a weekly basis. We need a bunch of new guys on both sides of the line. I like what we have with WR's and QB's. We need depth at CB, need major help at DL, OL, Safety and RB. Not just one or two guys, we need multiple players in each of those positions. Also need to improve talent at LB.

RebelRocker
11-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Both the Oline and Dline get dominated on a weekly basis. We need a bunch of new guys on both sides of the line. I like what we have with WR's and QB's. We need depth at CB, need major help at DL, OL, Safety and RB. Not just one or two guys, we need multiple players in each of those positions. Also need to improve talent at LB.

Exactly. I think Stink would help address these problems, if given the chance.

PAINTERDAVE
11-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Rebel Rocker you get an A for effort.

One note...

Ever since Kubiak left as Offensive Co-ordinator this offense has struggled.

Yet ... McD aint gonna hire him. He's not a yes man.

RebelRocker
11-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Rebel Rocker you get an A for effort.

One note...

Ever since Kubiak left as Offensive Co-ordinator this offense has struggled.

Yet ... McD aint gonna hire him. He's not a yes man.

Thank you. I agree. Our offense under Kubiak was EFFICIENT. We didn't put up video game numbers or have a bunch of pro bowlers on offense, but we were effective in the red zone and we didn't turnover the ball. If we could bring him back into the fold, that would be ideal.

As for McD, I doubt he'd be the one hiring Kubiak, he'll be looking for work of his own in 2011.

Bosco
11-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Both the Oline and Dline get dominated on a weekly basis. We need a bunch of new guys on both sides of the line. We just spent two premium picks on OL last year and they've both seen significant improvement this season, especially Beadles since he has been back at LG. Clady and Kuper are both very good players who have their spots locked up. The only one who might need replacing is Harris, and only because of his injury concerns.

We need depth at CB Not if we bring Champ back, which we almost certainly will. Between him, Goodman and Cox we have the three starting caliber corners we need and Thompson/Vaughn look like legit developmental projects. Jones gives us a decent short term fall back option.

need major help at DL Agreed, which is why we should look to draft a stud DE in round 1 and a true NT with one of our 2nd round picks.

Safety I would like another strong safety, but that can be done in the 3rd or 4th rounds if at all, depending on how the team feels about Bruton's chances to take over for Dawkins.

and RB. Why? Since getting healthy Moreno has looked like the running back he was supposed to be all along and we have made a somewhat significant investment in LenDale White to be our power back. We also have Maroney still who has an outside shot to challenge for that spot and Lance Ball as the developmental guy. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting some depth here but it shouldn't even be consider until the later rounds.

Not just one or two guys, we need multiple players in each of those positions. And it just so happens that this is a pretty good draft class for 3-4 linemen so we can get those multiple players.

Also need to improve talent at LB. You're joking right? We'll have both Ayers and Doom at OLB next year with Jason Hunter to work as the backup. DJ and Woodyard have the WILB spot taken care of and Haggan/Mays can battle it out for the SILB spot.

Lancane
11-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Thank you. I agree. Our offense under Kubiak was EFFICIENT. We didn't put up video game numbers or have a bunch of pro bowlers on offense, but we were effective in the red zone and we didn't turnover the ball. If we could bring him back into the fold, that would be ideal.

As for McD, I doubt he'd be the one hiring Kubiak, he'll be looking for work of his own in 2011.

Actually, Kubiak during his tenure had offenses that produced almost more Pro-Bowl players then any other offense at that time.

John Elway (3)
Brian Griese (1)
Jake Plummer (1)
Terrell Davis (3)
Gary Zimmerman (2)
Anthony Miller (1)
Shannon Sharpe (4)
Tom Nalen (5)
Rod Smith (3)
Ed McCaffrey (1)
Tony Jones (1)
Dwayne Carswell (1)
Clinton Portis (1)
Mark Schlereth (1)

During his tenure he had only two seasons where not one player under him was selected to the Pro Bowl.

RebelRocker
11-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Actually, Kubiak during his tenure had offenses that produced almost more Pro-Bowl players then any other offense at that time.

John Elway (3)
Brian Griese (1)
Jake Plummer (1)
Terrell Davis (3)
Gary Zimmerman (2)
Anthony Miller (1)
Shannon Sharpe (4)
Tom Nalen (5)
Rod Smith (3)
Ed McCaffrey (1)
Tony Jones (1)
Dwayne Carswell (1)
Clinton Portis (1)
Mark Schlereth (1)

During his tenure he had only two seasons where not one player under him was selected to the Pro Bowl.

Thanks for the info. sign the petition and join the fight!
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stinkforgm/

like the facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Mark-Schlereth-for-GM/172793769415288

horsepig
11-25-2010, 10:57 PM
A for effort Rebel. You make some thought provoking observations.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single OLman who's made a good HC. Tere's lots of guys whose playing days I don't know anything about, like Holgrem for instance.

I agree with TNed and others that at this point McD needs more time and it would be counterproductive to throw it all out with the bathwater. He's done a lot of good things and looks at times to really have the team on the right track. He's done some other stuff that is just plain stupid, like R. Quinn.

At this point, with all the personell moves aside, it really pisses me off to see some of the fundamental mistakes this team repeatedly makes. Is Wink as stupid as that 3'rd down goalline play in SD makes him look? He can't be, but I sure don't get most of the
defensive strategy he employs. They play too soft, rarely blitz with a front 7 that needs to blitz about 66% of the time IMO. What the Hell do you bring Tebow and the "wild Jesus" in for when Orton seems to have a nice rhythm going. It's just mystifying.

Why isn't the lightweight Denver media demanding explanations for some of these bonehead calls, not to mention a couple illegal formations/game. I'm rambling, again.

The team definitely needs a stronger FO, IMO.

RebelRocker
11-25-2010, 11:29 PM
A for effort Rebel. You make some thought provoking observations.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single OLman who's made a good HC. Tere's lots of guys whose playing days I don't know anything about, like Holgrem for instance.

I agree with TNed and others that at this point McD needs more time and it would be counterproductive to throw it all out with the bathwater. He's done a lot of good things and looks at times to really have the team on the right track. He's done some other stuff that is just plain stupid, like R. Quinn.

At this point, with all the personell moves aside, it really pisses me off to see some of the fundamental mistakes this team repeatedly makes. Is Wink as stupid as that 3'rd down goalline play in SD makes him look? He can't be, but I sure don't get most of the
defensive strategy he employs. They play too soft, rarely blitz with a front 7 that needs to blitz about 66% of the time IMO. What the Hell do you bring Tebow and the "wild Jesus" in for when Orton seems to have a nice rhythm going. It's just mystifying.

Why isn't the lightweight Denver media demanding explanations for some of these bonehead calls, not to mention a couple illegal formations/game. I'm rambling, again.

The team definitely needs a stronger FO, IMO.

I'm not saying that McDaniels should be fired right away or after the season. Any team that fires a HC coach in the middle of the season is stupid and irrational. I think that we need to bring some balance and respectability to the FO. Granted, new staff members would want McDaniels out, but we'll see what happens.

Regardless, this organization needs some structure.

Bosco
11-26-2010, 12:57 AM
Regardless, this organization needs some structure.

It has structure. That structure is McDaniels handling the coaching and personnel decisions, Xanders making the cap/team finances and Ellis handling the day to day business operations with all three of them answering directly to Bowlen.

RebelRocker
11-26-2010, 01:19 AM
It has structure. That structure is McDaniels handling the coaching and personnel decisions, Xanders making the cap/team finances and Ellis handling the day to day business operations with all three of them answering directly to Bowlen.

Do you realize McDaniels is probably doing 3 people's jobs right now when he should only be focusing on ONE. He should have never been given that much power. We're in the same situation we were in at the end of the 2008 season, except we're younger and dumber.

Some FO moves NEED to be made.

:salute:

Bosco
11-26-2010, 01:30 AM
Do you realize McDaniels is probably doing 3 people's jobs right now when he should only be focusing on ONE. He should have never been given that much power. We're in the same situation we were in at the end of the 2008 season, except we're younger and dumber.

Some FO moves NEED to be made.

:salute:

What three jobs would those be?

RebelRocker
11-26-2010, 01:46 AM
What three jobs would those be?

Head Coach, de facto offensive coordinator and head of personnel (you could even make the case and say that it's a job for two people).

You WANT one person to have that much power in their first time as a head coach? That's like asking a chef at a restaurant to cook, clean, waitstaff and serve the customers all at once, by himself.

It's just too much for one person to do.

Bosco
11-26-2010, 02:12 AM
Head Coach, de facto offensive coordinator and head of personnel (you could even make the case and say that it's a job for two people). McDaniels is not the de facto OC. That is Mike McCoy's job. Ben McDaniels was promoted to QB coach specifically to free up McCoy to take over more of the coordinating duties. McDaniels is involved in the game planning and calls the plays on gameday, but it is far from a role that he handles on his own.

We also have a Director of Personnel, Keith Kidd, so obviously McDaniels is not handling that job.

You WANT one person to have that much power in their first time as a head coach? That's like asking a chef at a restaurant to cook, clean, waitstaff and serve the customers all at once, by himself. This example would be more apt for the post Sundquist years of Mike Shanahan's tenure, we he quite literally ran every facet of the franchise while Bowlen signed the checks. That is a FAR cry from the amount of power Josh McDaniels has.

dogfish
11-26-2010, 04:13 AM
For those making that comparison to Matt Millen, go to the Drive's page on 104.3 the fan and listen to the two podcasts where they talk about Stink as a GM. He said if he were a GM, there would be two things he'd NEVER do. He said he would never draft a receiver and a quarterback in the first round. He understands that football games are won in the trenches.

what round was john elway drafted in?

:huh:

RebelRocker
11-26-2010, 11:01 AM
what round was john elway drafted in?

:huh:

I think he made the not drafting a QB statement because we already have Tebow and if he became the GM, he would keep Tebow as the "face of the franchise"

And you are aware that we didn't draft Elway, right? Baltimore did and they traded his rights to US because he didn't want to play for them.