PDA

View Full Version : The wink blitz

TimTebow15MVP
11-24-2010, 08:50 PM
I actually like the blitz designs wink was dialing up vs the chargers. He was sending them off and they were just coming up short of hitting home. rivers is not your typical quarterback rivers will stand in there for aslong as it takes and keep his eyes down the field. If we could get there just a split second sooner those are sacks or bad throws (maybe for ints). Insert big rob ayers and dooms next year with a couple DL additions and the broncos now have a lethal front 7,

Wink deserves to be kept if mcdaniels is fired. I hope Pat Bowlen understands this. Or whoever is making the calls if MCD is fired.

Give wink his best two defensive players back and a couple new toys and i guarantee you he gets the job done. The guy can coach and his defense is foreal. Hed probably be even more aggresive dialing up the blitzes if he had ayers and dooms on the outsides.

Post your love for ;)

camdisco24
11-24-2010, 09:51 PM
I like what Wink brings to the table some weeks, and hate it others.
He puts together a lot of good game plans, but I still feel like the D always comes up short is one area or another.
This past week we couldnt stop the run, in other weeks we couldnt get pressure on the QB's, ect ect...
I do agree he shows potential, but he doesnt have the talent he needs to turn his potential into success. Like you said, I hope we give him a few more tools to work with in the draft.

Broncos Mtnman
11-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Sorry, but Wink is the same loser that Mickey is.

Last year's defense was ranked 12th in points allowed - this year's team is 30th.

Last year's defense was ranked 7th in yards allowed - this year's team is 26th.

For a little reference, the 2008 Broncos defense (one of the worst in team history) was ranked 30th in points and 29th in yards.

One more little tidbit. . .

The 2008 Broncos allowed 78 more points than they scored for the whole season.

This year's team has already allowed 70 points more than they scored with 6 games still remaining.

Sorry, but there is NOTHING to support your contention that Wink deserves another shot.

:coffee:

Nomad
11-24-2010, 10:10 PM
I like what Wink brings to the table some weeks, and hate it others.
He puts together a lot of good game plans, but I still feel like the D always comes up short is one area or another.
This past week we couldnt stop the run, in other weeks we couldnt get pressure on the QB's, ect ect...
I do agree he shows potential, but he doesnt have the talent he needs to turn his potential into success. Like you said, I hope we give him a few more tools to work with in the draft.

Well said!!

robert ethan
11-24-2010, 10:10 PM
The D, as someone pointed out, is atrocious this year, and you can't blame it on the absence of one player. Every team in the league is dealing with injuries to defensive starters. What's more, they seem to be getting worse and not better as the season progresses.

What was Martindale's rally cry...."NO ONE RUNS ON THE DENVER BRONCOS!".:rolleyes:

All year, from training camp on other teams have been running through the Denver defense like it was a Ring Around The Rosy circle of preschoolers.

TimTebow15MVP
11-24-2010, 10:15 PM

Last year's defense was ranked 12th in points allowed - this year's team is 30th.

For a little reference, the 2008 Broncos defense (one of the worst in team history) was ranked 30th in points and 29th in yards.

This year's team has already allowed 70 points more than they scored with 6 games still remaining.

Sorry, but there is NOTHING to support your contention that Wink deserves another shot.

sorry that your still living in last year. thats unfortunate. but since you are living in last year lets talk about what last years defense had. Dooms and ayers. they had dawkins playing at a high level. andre goodman playing at a high level and healthy.

I mean if the colts lost freeney and mathis would you expect that defense to be the same? winks not working with what nolan had to work with last year. and even nolans defense faded miserably down the stretch.

Bosco
11-25-2010, 04:58 AM
I actually like the blitz designs wink was dialing up vs the chargers. He was sending them off and they were just coming up short of hitting home. rivers is not your typical quarterback rivers will stand in there for aslong as it takes and keep his eyes down the field. If we could get there just a split second sooner those are sacks or bad throws (maybe for ints). Insert big rob ayers and dooms next year with a couple DL additions and the broncos now have a lethal front 7,

Wink deserves to be kept if mcdaniels is fired. I hope Pat Bowlen understands this. Or whoever is making the calls if MCD is fired.

Give wink his best two defensive players back and a couple new toys and i guarantee you he gets the job done. The guy can coach and his defense is foreal. Hed probably be even more aggresive dialing up the blitzes if he had ayers and dooms on the outsides.

Post your love for ;)

Wink has been pretty impressive for a first time NFL coordinator. He's had some screw ups, but he also put out some extremely sound gameplans against the Colts, Titans, and Chiefs. The problems are that even when the game planning is very good, we still have talent and execution issues that spoil it and for as solid as Martindale has been, he's not nearly as adept and using smoke and mirrors to hide your weaknesses as Nolan was.

As with players, his performance should improve with experience. He's looked promising so far though.

Dirk
11-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Sorry. I'm of the oppinion that Wink is NOT getting it done. I like promotion from within, but I just don't see that he is doing a great job.

I'll give you the fact that Dawkins isn't playing good this year and Doom and Ayers being hurt is bad, but all in all the defense isn't playing very well at all.

It may not be that Wink isn't getting it done but rather the defense is too old at key points. Champ, Dawk in particular. Sure Champ had an INT against the Chargers but he has really lost a step or two. Time to move him to Safety and thank Dawkins for his support and part ways.

broncofaninfla
11-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Wink is an obvious down grade from Nolan BUT I'm seeing players in position to make plays, just not getting it done. My one knock against Wink to date is his passive approach but me thinks he is running the defense the way Mcd wants him to.

atwater27
11-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Wipe out the whole coaching and GM staff. It is a total loss. They all suck.

BroncoBJ
11-25-2010, 01:44 PM

Well were 4 spots better so far this year then we were in 2008 in yards allowed. :lol:

But yea, this defense is a joke, just like every defense has been since 2005. I remember the days when we had held ever RB to under 100 yards for a certain ammount of games. Cant remember the exact number. But just remember we were legit. Also remember getting somewhat pressure on qbs every now and then.

But over the last 4 years, this team cant even touch a QB. Its been a total joke.

Northman
11-25-2010, 01:49 PM
sorry that your still living in last year. thats unfortunate. but since you are living in last year lets talk about what last years defense had. Dooms and ayers. they had dawkins playing at a high level. andre goodman playing at a high level and healthy.

I mean if the colts lost freeney and mathis would you expect that defense to be the same? winks not working with what nolan had to work with last year. and even nolans defense faded miserably down the stretch.

Last years didnt have any real Dlineman either. So we lose a couple of LB's and have a Dline and are still worse than last year. Wink is terrible.

gobroncsnv
11-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Makes you wonder why injury reports are any kind of factor when Vegas sets the lines on the games, doesn't it? Nor should it matter who we draft, I guess. Long as you have a great coordinator.

Bosco
11-25-2010, 04:10 PM
My one knock against Wink to date is his passive approach but me thinks he is running the defense the way Mcd wants him to.

That, I think, is a result of the problems in the secondary. I don't feel that Wink has enough faith in them to leave them out on islands with that many blitzes. It's certainly not a philosophy issue as Wink is a disciple of the Buddy/Rex/Rob Ryan coaching tree and McDaniels himself has openly stated he wants aggressive defenses.

I Eat Staples
11-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Wipe out the whole coaching and GM staff. It is a total loss. They all suck.

This ^^^

Wink is a scrub.

horsepig
11-25-2010, 11:26 PM
That, I think, is a result of the problems in the secondary. I don't feel that Wink has enough faith in them to leave them out on islands with that many blitzes. It's certainly not a philosophy issue as Wink is a disciple of the Buddy/Rex/Rob Ryan coaching tree and McDaniels himself has openly stated he wants aggressive defenses.

Good post. My major problem with Wink is the passive, no blitz, vanilla style. What the Hell is going on? I love watching both Ryans's defenses work. Hell, I loved watching Greg Robinson's defenses. He was very agressive and always had a good corner to rely on on one side, yes Ray Crockett (very underappreciated corner) and when they finally picked a couple of mud slinging studs like Alfred Williams and Neil Smith he realy dialed up the blitzes.

If Wink is afraid of leaving his corners (Champ, really?) exposed then he needs to get under the porch with the puppies. I will agree that our safety play has fallen way off and Cox is getting schooled regularly, but what the **** do they have to lose. Besides, 34 blitzes have a nice way of screwing up blocking assignments and blowing up runs.

Dzone
11-26-2010, 12:20 AM
This defense was annihilated by the raiders and the chargers. I think we will be covering our eyes every time this team plays an AFC WEST opponent again... its going to be a train wreck
Anyway, it might Not be all winks fault...but someone needs to get these guys to step up and rise to the occasion...so far nobody has...Mays, woodyard , DJ and haggan have each had some good plays, but nothing game changing

Ravage!!!
11-26-2010, 12:41 AM
Wink is an obvious down grade from Nolan BUT I'm seeing players in position to make plays, just not getting it done. My one knock against Wink to date is his passive approach but me thinks he is running the defense the way Mcd wants him to.

Thats why he got the job... so that McD could basically be running the defense and the DC simply kisses his keister. Nolan wouldn't, thus he's gone. Now we don't have a coach on the roster thats worth anything.

Bosco
11-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Good post. My major problem with Wink is the passive, no blitz, vanilla style. What the Hell is going on? I love watching both Ryans's defenses work. Hell, I loved watching Greg Robinson's defenses. He was very agressive and always had a good corner to rely on on one side, yes Ray Crockett (very underappreciated corner) and when they finally picked a couple of mud slinging studs like Alfred Williams and Neil Smith he realy dialed up the blitzes.

If Wink is afraid of leaving his corners (Champ, really?) exposed then he needs to get under the porch with the puppies. I will agree that our safety play has fallen way off and Cox is getting schooled regularly, but what the **** do they have to lose. Besides, 34 blitzes have a nice way of screwing up blocking assignments and blowing up runs.

We played alot more aggressive before Ayers went down, so it's my guess that Wink simply feels the situation dictates a bend but don't break defense. I really have very little doubt that next year when Ayers and Doom are healthy that he is going to be throwing a shit load of blitzes at defenses.

Bosco
11-26-2010, 12:54 AM
Thats why he got the job... so that McD could basically be running the defense and the DC simply kisses his keister. Nolan wouldn't, thus he's gone. Now we don't have a coach on the roster thats worth anything.

That's bullshit. Both Nolan and Wink call the defensive plays with complete autonomy. With Wink it's extremely obvious because whenever the camera is on him you can clearly see him with the defensive gameplan and play card, calling the plays in to D.J through the headset.

Ravage!!!
11-26-2010, 01:49 AM
That's bullshit. Both Nolan and Wink call the defensive plays with complete autonomy. With Wink it's extremely obvious because whenever the camera is on him you can clearly see him with the defensive gameplan and play card, calling the plays in to D.J through the headset.

Seriously, what does that have anything to do with anything? Whom calls the plays ONTO the field, means zero. Just because you see his mouth moving into the headset, doesn't mean he's the ONLY one listening, nor the only one talking. You get that, right? Doesn't have anything to do with who is calling what and who is making what decisions. Nor does it have anything to do with whom is making the defensive game plans.

I can't believe you used that as an example to prove your point.

There is no way Wink has complete autonomy. McD is FARRRRRRR too much of a control freak to allow that.

Bosco
11-26-2010, 02:39 AM
Seriously, what does that have anything to do with anything? Whom calls the plays ONTO the field, means zero. Just because you see his mouth moving into the headset, doesn't mean he's the ONLY one listening, nor the only one talking. You get that, right? Doesn't have anything to do with who is calling what and who is making what decisions. Nor does it have anything to do with whom is making the defensive game plans.

I can't believe you used that as an example to prove your point. And conversely your example of McDaniels running the defense is the fact that the defensive play calls might be heard by him (no shit, Sherlock. He has a headset too) or that he might communicate with the defensive captain or coaches in the booth from time to time?

Well ****, that settles it. Josh is obviously the power hungry control freak who runs everything.

Seriously, your theory holds no water. I was sitting above and behind the Broncos bench during the Jacksonville game and had a bird's eye view of everything going on between the coaching staff. Whenever the offense came off the field Josh was sitting on the bench with them reviewing the gameplan and field photos and making his adjustments. During this time Wink was clearly handling the defense and McDaniels was obviously occupied with the offensive adjustments. After a few plays McDaniels would usually come back to sideline but I never once saw him on the headset while the defense was on the field. Any interaction between him and Wink was basically limited to commercial breaks.

McD will obviously be involved in both the defensive and offensive gameplans, but that is part of every head coaches job description.

TimTebow15MVP
11-26-2010, 02:48 AM
Dont worry about those guys who love mixing opinions with facts.

SBboundBRONCOS
11-26-2010, 02:50 AM
And conversely your example of McDaniels running the defense is the fact that the defensive play calls might be heard by him (no shit, Sherlock. He has a headset too) or that he might communicate with the defensive captain or coaches in the booth from time to time?

Well ****, that settles it. Josh is obviously the power hungry control freak who runs everything.

Seriously, your theory holds no water. I was sitting above and behind the Broncos bench during the Jacksonville game and had a bird's eye view of everything going on between the coaching staff. Whenever the offense came off the field Josh was sitting on the bench with them reviewing the gameplan and field photos and making his adjustments. During this time Wink was clearly handling the defense and McDaniels was obviously occupied with the offensive adjustments. After a few plays McDaniels would usually come back to sideline but I never once saw him on the headset while the defense was on the field. Any interaction between him and Wink was basically limited to commercial breaks.

McD will obviously be involved in both the defensive and offensive gameplans, but that is part of every head coaches job description.

many posters like to make shit up just to help them prove their own point . . . be it truth or complete horse crap

gobroncsnv
11-26-2010, 08:57 AM
This is from an article in the post this morning... probably doesn't mean anything, but thought I'd share anyway. Add in Dume's pass rush (if he were playing), and ol' Wink might just look a bit smarter than he's being credited. Coyer did quite well without a pass rush, until facing the Colts. Denver has had an aversion to good Dline play since the late 90's. Anyway, here's some more "made up shit" in defense of the current DC.

The Ayers Effect?

In the first four games of this season, when OLB Robert Ayers was healthy, the Broncos were 2-2 and allowed 322.8 yards and 21.3 points per game. Since he suffered a broken foot, the Broncos have allowed 97.9 more yards and 12.4 more points a game.
Game/result Opp. Yds. Pts.
5 (L) Ravens 415 31
6 (L) Jets 319 24
7 (L) Raiders 508 59
8 (L) 49ers 398 24
9 (W) Chiefs 484 29
10 (L) Chargers 400 35
Six-game avg. 420.7 33.7

Read more: Ayers' availability helps buoy Broncos - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16713358#ixzz16OeOldi6
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Broncos Mtnman
11-28-2010, 09:07 PM
How's that Wink blitz workin' for ya?

Broncos Mtnman
11-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Here's another little "Wink" stat for you.....

The Broncos defense has only two turnovers in the past five games.

Yeah, let's make him the DC For Life!!

Northman
11-28-2010, 11:39 PM
I really enjoyed the blitz in which Bradford threw a nice little out screen and crushed us for 20+ yards.