PDA

View Full Version : Broncos at the crossroads with Nalen

DenBronx
08-22-2008, 02:24 AM
I'd hate to see him get cut. It would be better if he retired on his own without being forced out. Sad to see it come to this.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10255434

The Broncos may be confronting a crossroads with the lone remaining player from their Super Bowl years.

Tom Nalen, a five-time Pro Bowler and the Broncos' starting center since Mike Shanahan's first game as head coach in 1995, will undergo arthroscopic surgery Friday on his troublesome left knee, his second such procedure in 2 1/2 months.

"I just want to feel better, that's all," Nalen said.

For now, Shanahan said there's a chance Nalen could be ready by the season opener Sept. 8 at Oakland, but it would depend on what surgeons find inside the knee. In 1995, Nalen had surgery on the same left knee to repair a meniscus tear and, although he was expected to be out three to four weeks, he returned to play two weeks later.

But Nalen was 24 then. He is 37 now and he's had two other operations on his left knee, including reconstructive surgery in 2002 to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

Should Nalen not be ready by the season opener, the Broncos would have two options: Give him one of 53 spots on their active roster with the idea he will be ready to play within a few weeks; or place the center on the injured reserve list, which would end his season.

It would be difficult for the Broncos to give Nalen a roster spot if he's unable able to play for an extended period because the team is already trying to set aside a spot for rookie running back Ryan Torain, who will miss the first seven games with a dislocated elbow.

Nalen is not eligible for the physical-unable-to-perform list, which would buy six weeks into the season without counting against the roster, because he passed his preseason physical.

The Nalen situation presents a dilemma for the Broncos, who earlier this year lost two other players from their Super Bowl teams in 1997-98 — kicker Jason Elam to free agency and receiver Rod Smith to retirement.

At least the Broncos have a quality center behind Nalen in Casey Wiegmann, a nine-year starter for Chicago (1998, 2000) and Kansas City (2001-07).

"Tommy's a tough guy," Wiegmann said. "He played a whole game last year (against San Diego) with torn biceps. Most guys can't do that. He's a football player, he wants to play, he'll be there."

DenBronx
08-22-2008, 02:37 AM
Nalen is not eligible for the physical-unable-to-perform list, which would buy six weeks into the season without counting against the roster, because he passed his preseason physical.

this is the part that reality starts sinking in. either nalen sucks it up after this surgery or he will get cut. the problem is he cant go on pup and we wont put him on ir 2 years in a row, especially before the season even begins for a vet that wont even play past this year. nalens only option is to play through pain unless he chooses to retire or gets cut. there's no quit in this guy so i think the coaches are going to have to make the tough decision and cut him.

fcspikeit
08-22-2008, 08:14 AM
"I just want to feel better, that's all," Nalen said.

"Tommy's a tough guy," Wiegmann said. "He played a whole game last year (against San Diego) with torn biceps. Most guys can't do that. He's a football player, he wants to play, he'll be there."

If there's even a snowballs chance in hell he could play this year I say we give him the roster spot.. I feel he has earned that. I really hope we don't cut him!

He was to our O-line what Elway was to our passing game. How many times has he played hurt for us? That has to be worth something...

Give the man who has put his blood sweat and tears in for so many years the chance to leave the game he loves on his terms...

Traveler
08-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Hate to say this but Nalen's situation might be similar to Lepsis. Nalen probably wanted to go out on his terms, but if they find more damage once he is scoped, it's probably best the team parts ways with him.

Nalen may have stayed a year too long.

NightTrainLayne
08-22-2008, 09:09 AM
It would be difficult for the Broncos to give Nalen a roster spot if he's unable able to play for an extended period because the team is already trying to set aside a spot for rookie running back Ryan Torain, who will miss the first seven games with a dislocated elbow.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but to me, this says a lot about Shanny's opinion of Torain. ..

BroncoJoe
08-22-2008, 09:19 AM
We (he, specifically) may have to face the sad, hard truth about his future in football. I doubt we'd cut him - Shanahan will probably let him have a similar opportunity like Lynch and Rod.

NightTrainLayne
08-22-2008, 09:21 AM
I imagine that Nails will suck it up and play through the pain as best he can. If he can't hack it, then he'll retire.

He's so tough, that I don't have any doubt that he'll give it a go, but I'd also like to think that if he's not playing at a high level that he will step down. . .he just seems to be that kind of player.

I expect to see him try to play for a game or two at least. If he can deal with the pain, then he'll do it. Playing through that beat-down against San Diege with a torn bicep is the best example of this.

tubby
08-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Nalen will be on the roster and tough it out. If the knee is too troublesome, at some point this season, he will go on IR.

OB
08-22-2008, 10:55 AM
For his sake I hope he chooses to listen to his body - he has his future to think about and i dont think he wants to spend it in a wheel chair - i hope the docs/trainers do whats right for him

Kaylore
08-22-2008, 01:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLbefwHpaZQ

Requiem / The Dagda
08-22-2008, 01:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLbefwHpaZQ

LOL! Heck yeah. I like First Of Tha Month better, but fosho Kaylore. I didn't know you were down with the THUGZ.

chanesaw
08-22-2008, 02:25 PM
First of all I love Nalen. He may be the the best offensive lineman in team history. But I hope he retires. I'm not a doctor, but I think his body has given all it can give. I would rather he retire than damage his body more, or get carted off the field. Kinda the same situation with TD. I remember a few years back watching a special on Earl Campbell and how painful it is for him to even walk. Tommy has already done everything a guy can do at his position. Super Bowl wins, All-Pro, multiple Pro-Bowls, and anchored the most dominate running game of his era. Maybe it is time for him to listen to his body and hang 'em up.

Our O-Line wouldn't be as good without him, but it would still be serviceable. Clady, Kuper, Hamilton, Holland, & Harris start. Pears, Weigman, and Kory Litchenger on the bench.

Kaylore
08-22-2008, 02:50 PM
LOL! Heck yeah. I like First Of Tha Month better, but fosho Kaylore. I didn't know you were down with the THUGZ.

Not really but I like that song and it was appropriate. :)

Superchop 7
08-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Tom knows whats best, he is a guy that I don't worry about.