PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Fisher a possibility?

RebelRocker
11-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Before I even say anything, I know this may be a stretch. It's just a discussion thread.

After a scuffle with that waste of a roster spot in Vince Young last weekend, Jeff Fisher has been put in the middle of a heated debate with Titans owner, Bud Adams.

Many people have speculated that 17 years may have been enough for the Titans and Fisher to be together and that it's time for a change.

IF he becomes available, would you take him?

Northman
11-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Possibly. I still prefer Gruden though as he has personally worked and talked with Tebow.

BroncoNut
11-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Before I even say anything, I know this may be a stretch. It's just a discussion thread.

After a scuffle with that waste of a roster spot in Vince Young last weekend, Jeff Fisher has been put in the middle of a heated debate with Titans owner, Bud Adams.

Many people have speculated that 17 years may have been enough for the Titans and Fisher to be together and that it's time for a change.

definitely.

PAINTERDAVE
11-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Gruden

Dreadnought
11-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Gruden > Fisherr

Fisher > McDaniels

I do like Fisher. He's not my first choice, but I'd be content we'd see improvement short and long term. I would certainly choose Fisher over Cowher too, FWIW

T.K.O.
11-23-2010, 01:18 PM
17 years without a ring......pass:salute:

KCL
11-23-2010, 01:19 PM
I like Fisher...he looks like my brother...:D

BroncoStud
11-23-2010, 01:31 PM

Exactly. What has Fisher done that makes him so outstanding? He has as many rings as McDaniels does, and he's had 15 more years to get one.

slim
11-23-2010, 01:37 PM
No coach has ever won a SB with two different teams. Do you guys really think Gruden will be the first?

I would rather have Fisher, with Kubiak as OC :D

BroncoNut
11-23-2010, 01:42 PM
I don't understand all the love for Gruden. Maybe there's something I missed on him

Northman
11-23-2010, 01:46 PM
I don't understand all the love for Gruden. Maybe there's something I missed on him

Probably because as far as wins and losses he isnt any worse than Fisher but has a SB ring to boot. I like Gruden the best but would take Fisher or Cowher just the same.

BroncoNut
11-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Probably because as far as wins and losses he isnt any worse than Fisher but has a SB ring to boot. I like Gruden the best but would take Fisher or Cowher just the same.

BFD. so joe schmoe who was 3rd or 4th on the roster for Denver at a certain position in 97 or 98 has a ring too. Doesn't make him a better player than a starter on another team that doesn't have a ring does it?

(maybe a poor analogy, I'm just bored today)

RebelRocker
11-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Possibly. I still prefer Gruden though as he has personally worked and talked with Tebow.

Gruden would be my first choice, too. My main reason would be what you just mentioned.

The pro's of getting Fisher-
1. An established and RESPECTED HC with a strong defensive background.
2. His OC is our old OC and will probably bring him along.
3. Nobody has ever won 2 superbowls with two teams as a HC. Jeff Fisher will win one, eventually. He could win it with us sooner than later.

The con's of getting Fisher
1. He's had 17 years to get a ring, and has failed to do so.
2. He's always had a 4-3 for his defense. Although if we got the right players on the line(defensive tackle, specifically), we can have a good defense in a 4-3, our players are accustomed to the 3-4/
3. I know this really shouldn't factor into his decision to coach us or not, but if he likes Tebow as his QB or not.

Northman
11-23-2010, 02:21 PM
BFD. so joe schmoe who was 3rd or 4th on the roster for Denver at a certain position in 97 or 98 has a ring too. Doesn't make him a better player than a starter on another team that doesn't have a ring does it?

(maybe a poor analogy, I'm just bored today)

All im saying is its a personal opinion type of thing. I think Gruden is a good guy and good coach doesnt mean its written in stone that way but just my opinion.

Dzone
11-23-2010, 02:25 PM
does anybody know if Gruden would even be interested in coaching again? He has a pretty good job on MNF

BroncoNut
11-23-2010, 02:26 PM
does anybody know if Gruden would even be interested in coaching again? He has a pretty good job on MNF

I was wondering that. And he's good there too. He has a good persona for it.

KCL
11-23-2010, 02:51 PM
I was wondering that. And he's good there too. He has a good persona for it.

Remember when Dennis Miller was on MNF? Maybe he would be interested in
coaching...:D

BroncoNut
11-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Remember when Dennis Miller was on MNF? Maybe he would be interested in
coaching...:D

I remember that. I thought he was hilarious. He commented on some players package in one of those little diagrammatical models. . I thought that was hysterical

RebelRocker
11-23-2010, 02:55 PM
I remember that. I thought he was hilarious. He commented on some players package in one of those little diagrammatical models. . I thought that was hysterical

I just watched his newest HBO special last weekend. He's hilarious, but let's get back to the subject of this topic, please.

:defense:

BroncoNut
11-23-2010, 02:57 PM
I just watched his newest HBO special last weekend. He's hilarious, but let's get back to the subject of this topic, please.

oh, sorry

KCL
11-23-2010, 02:58 PM
oh, sorry

Joe Dirt

BroncoNut
11-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Joe Dirt

awesome flick. "so you're so inbred with trailor trash DNA that your beard actually grows in all white trashey like that?"

RebelRocker
11-23-2010, 03:06 PM
awesome flick. "so you're so inbred with trailor trash DNA that your beard actually grows in all white trashey like that?"

Life's a garden, dig it

Great movie.

Now let's get a new head coach!

BroncoNut
11-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Life's a garden, dig it

Great movie.

Now let's get a new head coach!

LOL. alright. hmmm. I think we need a GM. If Josh fired Nolan out of insecurity, that is indeed a problem.

silkamilkamonico
11-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Fischer? Might as well through John Fox into the discussion. No thanks.

RebelRocker
11-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Fischer? Might as well through John Fox into the discussion. No thanks.

Why not? Do you have any bright ideas for a possible HC?

Magnificent Seven
11-23-2010, 06:12 PM
They are not going to fire McDaniels after season 2010. I think they will give him another season. If they are not doing well in season 2011... then they will let him go.

silkamilkamonico
11-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Why not? Do you have any bright ideas for a possible HC?

Preferably one that has already shown to have won a SuperBowl, or another young up and comer who isn't such a control freak.

Certainly not a coach who has 15 years to try and win the SuperBowl and hasn't.

topscribe
11-23-2010, 06:45 PM
No coach has ever won a SB with two different teams. Do you guys really think Gruden will be the first?

I would rather have Fisher, with Kubiak as OC :D

WOW, I'd love to see Kubes back here as OC! :nod:

What a team that would be, Fisher & Kubes! :rockon:

-----

Ravage!!!
11-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Fisher is one of the best coaches in the NFL. Look what he's been able to do with the lack of QB talent he's had to deal with for the last few years. Considering our lack of QB talent, seems his name would be at the TOP of the list.

The Titans aren't getting rid of Fisher.. but if they do...I absolutely would want to throw our name into the hat to get him. He would be jobless for about 2 seconds, so we better jump quickly.

RebelRocker
11-23-2010, 07:28 PM
[QUOTE=silkamilkamonico;1128549]Preferably one that has already shown to have won a SuperBowl, or another young up and comer who isn't such a control freak.

Certainly not a coach who has 15 years to try and win the SuperBowl and hasn't.[/QUOTE

NO coach has ever won 2 super bowls with two different teams. Why would we want someone who's on the "back end" of their coaching career.

Another up and comer? We got the best one available two years ago. I don't think a 'hot shot' coordinator could have a better resume then McDaniels did(3 super bowl rings, highest scoring offense in NFL history as an OC).

I say no. The next coach will be somebody RESPECTED and ESTABLISHED.

End of argument.

:salute:

topscribe
11-23-2010, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=silkamilkamonico;1128549]Preferably one that has already shown to have won a SuperBowl, or another young up and comer who isn't such a control freak.

Certainly not a coach who has 15 years to try and win the SuperBowl and hasn't.[/QUOTE

NO coach has ever won 2 super bowls with two different teams. Why would we want someone who's on the "back end" of their coaching career.

Another up and comer? We got the best one available two years ago. I don't think a 'hot shot' coordinator could have a better resume then McDaniels did(3 super bowl rings, highest scoring offense in NFL history as an OC).

End of argument.

I hope you're right because I really expected Mr. Bowlen, a man in his late
60s, to be wiser than to hire what Mtnman appropriately referred to as the
Mickey Mouse club. Or maybe, as Mtnman suggested, it was Ellis who did
that. Well, Ellis is still there . . .

-----

RebelRocker
11-23-2010, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=RebelRocker;1128575]

I hope you're right because I really expected Mr. Bowlen, a man in his late
60s, to be wiser than to hire what Mtnman appropriately referred to as the
Mickey Mouse club. Or maybe, as Mtnman suggested, it was Ellis who did
that. Well, Ellis is still there . . .

-----

I hope I'm right, too.

:beer:

OrangeHoof
11-23-2010, 09:15 PM

In a heartbeat. Some of you may not have noticed something that's been missing from the Broncos now for almost 30 years.

It's called :defense: and Jeff Fisher knows how to coach it and he knows how to coach toughness, something else that's been missing in Denver since the Orange Crush days.

It ain't pretty. It doesn't sell tickets. But it wins championships and I'm convinced the Broncos aren't going back to the Super Bowl until they find one.

RebelRocker
11-23-2010, 09:30 PM
In a heartbeat. Some of you may not have noticed something that's been missing from the Broncos now for almost 30 years.

It's called :defense: and Jeff Fisher knows how to coach it and he knows how to coach toughness, something else that's been missing in Denver since the Orange Crush days.

It ain't pretty. It doesn't sell tickets. But it wins championships and I'm convinced the Broncos aren't going back to the Super Bowl until they find one.

Thank you!! Somebody else that gets it! Jeff Fisher will eventually win a lombardi trophy with somebody and it could very well be us if we give him a chance.

silkamilkamonico
11-23-2010, 09:47 PM

End of argument.

Rex Ryan says hi, and also, "you're wrong".

Ryan is also a better coach than Jeff Fischer.

topscribe
11-23-2010, 09:51 PM

Defense leads to championships. And championships sell tickets.

It's amazing what championships can do for the most boring team . . .

-----

RebelRocker
11-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Rex Ryan says hi, and also, "you're wrong".

Ryan is also a better coach than Jeff Fischer.

Are you seriously comparing a guy who's been a coach for less than two years and has had most of his success come off of DUMB luck plays with a guy who's taken his team to many play off appearances and a Super Bowl?

:lol:

Go away, troll!

topscribe
11-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Are you seriously comparing a guy who's been a coach for less than two years and has had most of his success come off of DUMB luck plays with a guy who's taken his team to many play off appearances and a Super Bowl?

:lol:

Go away, troll!

You are calling Silk a troll? You? A November n00b?

And, believe me, the entire Ryan family is highly respected, and Rex is no exception to that . . .

-----

RebelRocker
11-24-2010, 12:14 AM
You are calling Silk a troll? You? A November n00b?

And, believe me, the entire Ryan family is highly respected, and Rex is no exception to that . . .

-----

Me? A n00b? I didn't even know this site existed before this month!

As for the Rex Ryan, you make a valid point, but to say that he's better than Jeff Fisher at this point in his career is absolute non-sense.

Dreadnought
11-24-2010, 12:17 AM

-----

Rex Ryan = fatass buck toothed blowhard. I might have to jump off a bridge. I'm stuck here with NY media after all. Jeff Fisher all the way, Top.

gobroncsnv
11-24-2010, 12:22 AM
If Fisher brings us players like Finnegan (might not have the name right, but you know, the guy who takes all the cheap shots) I'll pass... Hate that style of player. He belongs in the Richard Seymour hall of stupidity.
I'd definitely go with Chucky over the field as discussed so far.

Ravage!!!
11-24-2010, 03:20 AM
Seems that the Colts and Saints would disagree that defense wins championships.

nevcraw
11-24-2010, 10:23 AM

How long did it take Elway to win a ring? you still consider him one of the best?
and BTW - he was 4" in a way from hoisting the lomardi against the greatest show on turf -- some never get that close.
there something to say about a a coach who has won for as many years as he Fischer has and still is employed at the same place.
He is still hungry because he hasn't won it. Plus he's a players coach without being one of them..

Personally I woul prefer Gruden 1st and Fish as a very close second.. not interested in Cowher (he will not have the Steeler way nor the Dick Lebaue to help him dig us out of the quagmire)

Ravage!!!
11-24-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm confused as to why anyone is judging FIsher's career based on "not winning the Super Bowl?" Really?

Wasn't Cowher in the NFL 14 years as a HC before he won the SB? Coughlin was HC 13 years before winning in NY. Dungy was in the NFL 11 years before he finally had a SB champion team.

Andy Reid has been an HC for 12 years. He's not good because he hasn't won a ring???? :confused:

Of the coaches listed above that HAVE won a Super Bowl, how many of them won it with their FIRST team?

BroncoNut
11-24-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm confused as to why anyone is judging FIsher's career based on "not winning the Super Bowl?" Really?

Wasn't Cowher in the NFL 14 years as a HC before he won the SB? Coughlin was HC 13 years before winning in NY. Dungy was in the NFL 11 years before he finally had a SB champion team.

Andy Reid has been an HC for 12 years. He's not good because he hasn't won a ring???? :confused:

Of the coaches listed above that HAVE won a Super Bowl, how many of them won it with their FIRST team?

yeah, once you get a ring, you're awesome, and always have been.

slim
11-24-2010, 12:44 PM
yeah, once you get a ring, you're awesome, and always have been.

Tom Coughlin was once a laughing stock.

Now many consider him to be a "great coach".

As with most things, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Dreadnought
11-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Tom Coughlin was once a laughing stock.

Now many consider him to be a "great coach".

As with most things, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Barry Switzer was an idiot before he won a SB ring. He remains an idiot to this day IMO. A 15-1 record and a NFC Championship game lost only due to a flubbed kick do not rescue Denny Green from being a crappy coach

slim
11-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Barry Switzer was an idiot before he won a SB ring. He remains an idiot to this day IMO. A 15-1 record and a NFC Championship game lost only due to a flubbed kick do not rescue Denny Green from being a crappy coach

Good point about Switzer. Of course, that team didn't really need a coach (I think McD could have had success with that team :D)

If Buddy Ryan had won anything as a HC, people would never stop talking about him.

RebelRocker
11-24-2010, 01:51 PM
There's a lot of coaches out there that haven't won the big game until they're well into their coaching career. That's a little much to expect ANY HC to come in and get us to a super bowl within a few years.

SOCALORADO.
11-24-2010, 02:53 PM
There's a lot of coaches out there that haven't won the big game until they're well into their coaching career. That's a little much to expect ANY HC to come in and get us to a super bowl within a few years.

When is the last time BALT won a SB?
And they are still considered one of the best teams in the NFL, year in and year out.
They also are one of the most notoriously hard-hitting, tough as nails teams in the NFL every damn year.
They are also always in the playoffs.

Thats all most of us want for DEN.
If DEN won a SB, well thats a bonus and really great too!

UrbanBounca
11-24-2010, 03:57 PM
It's already been proven that Fisher can't keep his team under control. I don't want him anywhere near Denver.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

RebelRocker
11-24-2010, 04:06 PM
It's already been proven that Fisher can't keep his team under control. I don't want him anywhere near Denver.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

At this point, it doesn't look like he'd come here, anyways. Odds are, the Titans will dump Young and keep Fisher.

TimTebow15MVP
11-24-2010, 07:56 PM
NO jeff fisher would totally change our 3-4 defense. I love the 3-4. i love how wink dialed up some great blitzes out of the 3-4. we amost hit home so many times. we just need dooms and ayers in that shit! and add some guys on the DL man that front 7 would be lethal. whatever coach comes inhere if its not mcd needs to keep wink! wink can coach em up. he just doesnt have his best two defensive players on the field together. hunter and haggan will be great depth behind dooms and ayers next year.

OrangeHoof
11-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Seems that the Colts and Saints would disagree that defense wins championships.

Fair criticism but a closer look shows their defenses weren't that bad in their Super Bowl years and if the top defenses in the league had strong offenses, they probably would have won titles.

OrangeHoof
11-24-2010, 08:58 PM
It should also be pointed out that Fisher learned defenses from Buddy Ryan, first with the Bears and then with the Oilers. The Oilers promoted Fisher because they thought Ryan was too combative. So, I suspect that a lot of the defensive philosophies of Fisher and the Ryan sons are the same, except Fisher has far more head coaching experience and all that that teaches.