PDA

View Full Version : Should Dawkins be benched?

broncofaninfla
11-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Dawkins play has clearly slipped this year. So much so he has become a liability on defense. Is it time to start McBath or Bruton to see what we have on deck for the future?

Bronco Bible
11-23-2010, 09:42 AM
missing tackles,bad reads.......I say yes

Elevation inc
11-23-2010, 09:46 AM
yes he was responsible for 14 points surrenedered yesterday and is the 60th overall rated safety in the league, sure he is good for a few feel good moments leadership wise, but he cant play very well anymore....its time to get mcbath more time and bruton as well.....renaldo hill actually has been having a underated season, so i fine with him for anotehr year, but dawkins in my mind is done.....and i am quite confident champ wants to go to SD.....

BroncoStud
11-23-2010, 09:55 AM
I hope Champ retires a Bronco. I'd love to see him make the switch to safety, that would help the defense so much in the deep middle.

BigDaddyBronco
11-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Dawkins was terrible last night. He looked old and slow.

They might as well see what McBath can do to see if we need to draft another safety or get another FA next year.

red98
11-23-2010, 10:12 AM
yes he was responsible for 14 points surrenedered yesterday and is the 60th overall rated safety in the league, sure he is good for a few feel good moments leadership wise, but he cant play very well anymore....its time to get mcbath more time and bruton as well.....renaldo hill actually has been having a underated season, so i fine with him for anotehr year, but dawkins in my mind is done.....and i am quite confident champ wants to go to SD.....

I saw that near the end of the game. Got me thinking the same thing.

GEM
11-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Sad part is....we don't have jack squat in depth to take his place.

MileHighCrew
11-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Dawkins was never the long term answer. He was here to win and to teach. The winning hasn't happened, time to see if he taught the youngsters anything.

broncofaninfla
11-23-2010, 10:33 AM
I actually like what I see in McBath but want to see more.

jhildebrand
11-23-2010, 11:56 AM
I didn't like Dawkins from the Washington game on last year. He is Lynch part II but WORSE :eek:

This team needs the full youth movement my sig has advocated all offseason and season long.

shank
11-23-2010, 12:02 PM
I saw that near the end of the game. Got me thinking the same thing.

saw what?

topscribe
11-23-2010, 12:06 PM
saw what?

That's what I was wondering.

I shut it off and went to bed before the game was over.

-----

D. Moore
11-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Yes bench him along with Hill. We have to have the worst safties in the league. Dawkins has seen better days and Hill has never been worth a dime. Hill has done nothing but blow tackles and coverages all year but we cant replace him with Nate "I should be playing flag football" Jones or Mcbath because he is always injured. Trade Champ while he has value and rebuild the whole thing. Did I mention a qualified D coord. Is in order?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Elevation inc
11-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Sad part is....we don't have jack squat in depth to take his place.

i actually have a lot of faith in mcbath if he can stay healthy and bruton...and i dont even mind renaldo hill...but dawkins and nate jones can not play for shit!!!!

Elevation inc
11-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Dawkins was never the long term answer. He was here to win and to teach. The winning hasn't happened, time to see if he taught the youngsters anything.

i said when he was signed 2 years and he is done, well i was wrong 1 and 1/2 years and he is done....he hasnt had a positive rated game all year and is near last in overall rating....in leadership rating he is on fire, but its like lynch eventually you just cant play anymore.......

Elevation inc
11-23-2010, 12:51 PM
saw what?

champ was a little to happy and friendly with the SD guys after they just wooped are ass.....i get he is classy but that was kinda inexcusable in my book.....you just got worked what are you happy about???? rivers dominating your team??? not cool

LRtagger
11-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Dawkins is a liability in coverage. He needs to be worked off the field in passing situations....or he needs to be moved into the box as a LB on 3rd downs. You can't expect him to cover Sproles without any help. Why Wink thought that would work is beyond me.

BCJ
11-23-2010, 01:02 PM
I voted no, not because he has been playing well but there is no one to compete in games. You really want to call Josh Barrett back up? He makes a better LB right now than at safety. When the season is over, we will decide then.

D. Moore
11-23-2010, 01:03 PM
I voted no, not because he has been playing well but there is no one to compete in games. You really want to call Josh Barrett back up? He makes a better LB right now than at safety. When the season is over, we will decide then.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums. Barret is in NE

BroncoStud
11-23-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm not really sure what there is to replace him with... He's clearly lost a step though.

Ravage!!!
11-23-2010, 01:39 PM
champ was a little to happy and friendly with the SD guys after they just wooped are ass.....i get he is classy but that was kinda inexcusable in my book.....you just got worked what are you happy about???? rivers dominating your team??? not cool

I can't disagree with this more.

I rmember playing our toughest rivals in college, after the game, you laugh, you joke, you compliment and you move on.

Its a game. In the NFL, its a job.

Lets face the facts. Champ is NOT going to be here next year. He's playing his part, he's doing his job... no reason for him to be angry and unsociable after the game with the other players that simply did their job.

sanluis
11-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Dawkins is the heart and soul of your D. He is hurt right now and not what he used to be but still ... Denver's D is much better with him in than when he is out IMHO.

KCL
11-23-2010, 01:43 PM

I rmember playing our toughest rivals in college, after the game, you laugh, you joke, you compliment and you move on.

Lets face the facts. Champ is NOT going to be here next year. He's playing his part, he's doing his job... no reason for him to be angry and unsociable after the game with the other players that simply did their job.

I agree,what did you expect him to do? Point his finger at them and NOT shake their hands? :eek: ;)

Honestly there was nothing wrong with what Champ was doing..I saw it also..I didn't think it was bad on his part.

shank
11-23-2010, 01:48 PM

i agree with you, but hope you're wrong about champ leaving. although... if he leaves, he damned well better win a championship so that i can be happy for the guy.

jhildebrand
11-23-2010, 01:48 PM

It doesn't really matter. Besides, he could have told Rivers that he is stupid for continuing to go at Champ. All that happens is INT's. Champ got another one last night.

I don't really care. I would rather see the Broncos franchise/transition tag him and get something.

Elevation inc
11-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Dawkins is the heart and soul of your D. He is hurt right now and not what he used to be but still ... Denver's D is much better with him in than when he is out IMHO.

the 14 free points he gave you yesterday says otherwise....

broncofaninfla
11-23-2010, 02:01 PM
McBath has looked solid when healthy. I like and respect Dawkins but the game has clearly passed him by. It was just this game, his season has been like that. He's been a liability in teh passing game now his run defense is weak as well.

Elevation inc
11-23-2010, 02:03 PM
lol its like john lych all over again.....dude thought he was still a rockstar player so he left denver and ended up having to become a anlayst...this was for a reason folks, glad dawkins has heart and fire and passion, just sucks he cant play anymore.....

sanluis
11-23-2010, 02:15 PM
SD thought Rodney Harrison couldn't play anymore...

Dawkins is just trying to play hurt. If he didn't things would be a lot worse IMO. Who is going to play better than Dawkins is and is on Denver roster right now????!!

KCL
11-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Some old timers just don't want to give up playing...like a certain
QB who plays for the Vikings... :whistle:

broncofaninfla
11-23-2010, 02:16 PM

He's been playing bad all season long, not just last night. I understand if we finish the season out with him but anything past that would be counterproductive unless he assumed a coaching role.

His fire and passion for the game is contagious and productive to the team BUT his play is now a liability. It's a humble ending to a great career but it is what it is.

broncofaninfla
11-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Here is more on the subject from PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/23/brian-dawkins-run-in-denver-could-be-wrapping-up/

LRtagger
11-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Dont forget he gift wrapped a TD in the san fran game that essentially lost us the game. Add to that the piss poor performance last night. Something needs to change.

Bronco4ever
11-23-2010, 03:00 PM
I was at my friend Tony's house last night watching the game, and I couldn't help but yell at the TV when Dawkins missed that tackle on Crayton. It was a lousy attempt at a tackle.

When Dawkins was signed last year, you couldn't find a happier fan that we had signed him. He played great for us last season, but that whiffed tackle showed me what Dawkins has left in the tank (which is not a lot). I love Dawkins' leadership and fire, but I just don't think he has "it" any more. Sad but true.

I Eat Staples
11-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Dawkins flat out sucks this year. But his backup isn't better. So no, no benching. Find a capable replacement maybe.

I Eat Staples
11-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Dont forget he gift wrapped a TD in the san fran game that essentially lost us the game. Add to that the piss poor performance last night. Something needs to change.

I hope you didn't forget spinning around twice while letting Ed Dickson (Ravens TE for those who don't know) catch a lob pass like he was fair catching a punt, and being completely dominated by TEs in basically every game we played so far.

BORDERLINE
11-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Hill is a serviceable safety for the broncos.
Dawk is just slow now he had a little left in the tank and it's all gone now
Mcbath look promising at times and average at best most of the times
Nathan Jones is putrid
Bruton, we need to see more of him
I'm all for keeping Bailey and eventually switching him to safety. C'mon guys we need that type of player on Defense we cannot lose him.

Magnificent Seven
11-23-2010, 06:02 PM
They should have drafted either Rolando MClain or Eric Berry.

jhildebrand
11-23-2010, 07:42 PM
They should have drafted either Rolando MClain or Eric Berry.

Eric Berry wasnt available. McClain is a different story.

The truth is the D should have been better addressed in the o9 draft. I say they should have gone Orakpo, Ayers, Maualuga with their first 3 picks. That would have seriously changed this team's fortunes. In a draft that had lots of D talent i.e. the afforementioned players and Clay Matthews, and Zigi Hood, and more we went heavy on O.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Right now, it really doesn't matter. We don't have a Safety on the roster that's any better. Everyone seems to have this rosy view of McBath, but short of the Indy game last year when he picked off Manning before he got hurt and being a good STs player, I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe he's the future at the position. If he was a good as folks say, wouldn't he be starting over Hill by now, even if we were just being "loyal" to Dawkins?

Funny how Knowshon gets ripped repeatedly for his health, but McBath is CHRONICALLY injured it seems and that's only as a part-time player. I just don't see what everyone sees in McBath. His cult following is starting to appear eerily familar to those of guys like Hamza Abdullah and Josh Barrett who everyone was sure were going to be the "future" after John Lynch and they couldn't even beat out winners like Marlon Mcree and Marquand Manuel.

Dean
11-24-2010, 07:02 PM
[inescapable rant]The board contains discussions about who to play at what position as if that would solve the Broncos problems. I can't say that any solution for this season has vaue. Our season is over. All that is left is how bad a loosing record we will have. Will we draft in the first ten picks or the first five?:banghead:

The Broncos success of the last thirty years appear to me to be dead and buried. I am struck by the enpty feeling that it is November and my hopes of a successful season are already buried.

I l(ike everyone else, I imagine) hated that we folded the last few years. Now, I see that as an improvement over this miscarrage of a team. Five wins and ten loses in the last fifteen games. How did we become those other teams we used to poke fun at.

I could always look at the Buffaloes and the Cleavelands around the league and feel we would never be that bad. Now we have become that bad.

[/Rant over]:shots:.

I Eat Staples
11-24-2010, 07:30 PM
How did we become those other teams we used to poke fun at.

Josh McDaniels for 200, Alex.

broncohead
11-24-2010, 07:44 PM
I haven't seen enough of mcbath to say he should start. Hill and Dawk both need to be benched though. Hill has blown some coverages too and really doesn't make any kind of impact. Next season is the season champ need to move to safety, take a CB early and get a serviceable vet in FA.

TimTebow15MVP
11-24-2010, 07:59 PM
I Agree its time to bench dawkins, his presence in the locker room and on the sidelines is needed but not his play on the field. we need to see if bruton is strictly a special teams missle or does he have a future as a starting SS. if it doesnt work out you draft accordingly but you still have bruton as a special teams ace.

SIT BDAWK. and renaldo hill......Too bad mcbath cant stay healthy enough to take hills job.

TimTebow15MVP
11-24-2010, 08:00 PM
I haven't seen enough of mcbath to say he should start. Hill and Dawk both need to be benched though. Hill has blown some coverages too and really doesn't make any kind of impact. Next season is the season champ need to move to safety, take a CB early and get a serviceable vet in FA.

champ bailey just said he is not moving to safety for another 4 years.

I Eat Staples
11-24-2010, 08:03 PM
champ bailey just said he is not moving to safety for another 4 years.

That would be his downfall. He still has amazing coverage skills and he can tackle and provide excellent run support, but he doesn't have the speed and durability to cover elite young WRs. See: Dwayne Bowe.

Champ would make an amazing safety.

Lancane
11-24-2010, 08:25 PM
What makes this a bigger issue for Denver is that it's a bad year to find stellar safety talent via free agency or the draft; there are some solid free agents that would be good additions, but the weak rookie class will boost their price tags.

Lancane
11-24-2010, 08:29 PM
That would be his downfall. He still has amazing coverage skills and he can tackle and provide excellent run support, but he doesn't have the speed and durability to cover elite young WRs. See: Dwayne Bowe.

Champ would make an amazing safety.

It isn't going to happen in my honest opinion, I truly think this is the last year we'll see Bailey in a Bronco uniform, which again another issue that lays upon McDaniels' shoulders. I agree, I think that Bailey would be a tremendous asset, especially as a strong safety...and even if he re-signs and is given the slot, Dawkins is our starting free safety and unless McBath is ready to take over the position then were shit out of luck at the position.

TimTebow15MVP
11-24-2010, 08:39 PM
What makes this a bigger issue for Denver is that it's a bad year to find stellar safety talent via free agency or the draft; there are some solid free agents that would be good additions, but the weak rookie class will boost their price tags.

Lol who the hell told you that buddy? being that itsnot a great group of senior safeties coming out i think the juniors will definitly come out. thers a good amount of safety talent in this draft if tate comes out, telemaque comes out, Mcdaniels from clemson. williams from UNC, Quinton carter Oklahoma. theres some nice safeties to be had. every teams not gonna reach on the safety just because theres not 25 good ones to be had. its never that many to be had. but its enough.....some teams even draft corners and convert them to safety. every corner back aint a corner back in the pros. malcom jenkings was a drafted as a cornerback and then moved to safety.... because he couldnt run with NFL wideouts but at safety hesjust fine. its all about coaching........

Lancane
11-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Lol who the hell told you that buddy? being that itsnot a great group of senior safeties coming out i think the juniors will definitly come out. thers a good amount of safety talent in this draft if tate comes out, telemaque comes out, Mcdaniels from clemson. williams from UNC, Quinton carter Oklahoma. theres some nice safeties to be had. every teams not gonna reach on the safety just because theres not 25 good ones to be had. its never that many to be had. but its enough.....some teams even draft corners and convert them to safety. every corner back aint a corner back in the pros. malcom jenkings was a drafted as a cornerback and then moved to safety.... because he couldnt run with NFL wideouts but at safety hesjust fine. its all about coaching........

This is about the fifth or so time I've seen you post to rebuke something it seems your clueless about.

You think that...but, there is a chance for a seasonal lockout, do they really want to enter the draft if they are on hiatus for a season, or do you think they would rather return, get a degree and be able to play? The deadline for them to declare is January 15th, there has been no word as of yet of when or even if that will be extended. The lockout would happen as of March 2011, the very day the NFL Combine comes to a close; that would mean that every kid drafted in the Annual NFL Draft will not see a game until the lockout has been removed and a new agreement put in place, and that could take anywhere from a day to who the hell knows. Some will enter the draft, just because they'll still get a contract, but what these kids don't realize is that it's in signing money alone, the contracts would not start against the years affirmed in their contracts until they've played a game in the NFL. Meaning a kid signs a four year deal but the lockout doesn't end until let's say March 2012, then he doesn't see anything from that yearly amount until a few months after then when he finally sees a field.

Many juniors are taking this into consideration, what's the point of a small signing bonus to sit on your ass...when they could return, play and get a degree and possibly get a bigger contract depending on the agreement; they also have to take into consideration that those underclassmen that slide lower, they're looking at smaller and smaller amounts as signing bonuses. So with it being a poor senior class, I also think we'll see less juniors declaring and possibly a very senior oriented draft class.

TimTebow15MVP
11-24-2010, 09:05 PM
there will be no (bigger deal) once the new cba is complete. there will be a rookie cap. So i think your clueless. These guys better come in and get that nice bonus while they can.

TimTebow15MVP
11-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Besides there wont even be a lockout. Something will get done and football will be played next year. How bad would the nfl being the most popular sport in america have a lock out because of millionaires crying about not enough millions.

Lancane
11-24-2010, 09:12 PM
there will be no (bigger deal) once the new cba is complete. there will be a rookie cap. So i think your clueless. These guys better come in and get that nice bonus while they can.

Their is no indication of that, that's what the owners want...doesn't mean their going to get it. That is the point of the lockout, to push owners into submitting themselves to the demands of the athletes by way of their representatives in the Players Association. Yes, the PA has said that they would be open to adjusting that point, but has it come about yet? No...

And you think that the league will be intimidated into given these kids a huge signing bonus for them to sit on their asses? Get F'n real, they'll be lucky to get three-quarters of what the kids drafted at the same positions got last year. You're acting like the players have got all the power, but the owners and the league have just as much, I don't hope for a lockout...I think it's stupid, but let's be fair and honest, even if the players can sue the league, it doesn't mean that the owners will fold...both sides have specific demands, some are more agreeable then others, but right now the lockout looks to be almost a done deal. And the underclassmen will take it into consideration no matter what fans think, some have already voiced as much in interviews.

Lancane
11-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Besides there wont even be a lockout. Something will get done and football will be played next year. How bad would the nfl being the most popular sport in america have a lock out because of millionaires crying about not enough millions.

The NFL is slated to receive Five Billion dollars in revenue from their broadcasting contracts. So, if they have to wear down negotiations to get things a bit more in their favor? I can see it happening...

I agree with your opinion that it's bad, actually almost ironic, but we keep hearing from players that are associated with the Player Association that it's more then likely to happen at this point.

Elevation inc
11-25-2010, 03:23 AM
It isn't going to happen in my honest opinion, I truly think this is the last year we'll see Bailey in a Bronco uniform, which again another issue that lays upon McDaniels' shoulders. I agree, I think that Bailey would be a tremendous asset, especially as a strong safety...and even if he re-signs and is given the slot, Dawkins is our starting free safety and unless McBath is ready to take over the position then were shit out of luck at the position.

i agree in part but champ wont be leaving because of MCD.....Bowlen pulled the original offer not MCD. MCD has nothing to do with renegotiations of contracts, and was set to have xanders re-sign him before the plug was pulled becasue of CBA crap.

and of course now were screwed again because mcbath is hurt again, so really who knows what we have in him....and as you said the class is weak....whats funny though is that hill is actually a very decent player this year, better than last.....

Bosco
11-25-2010, 04:49 AM
He's been banged up this year, so it's likely that he still isn't 100%. Taking that into consideration, I wouldn't outright bench him but I'd start subbing him out in more passing situations.

Lancane
11-25-2010, 12:50 PM
i agree in part but champ wont be leaving because of MCD.....Bowlen pulled the original offer not MCD. MCD has nothing to do with renegotiations of contracts, and was set to have xanders re-sign him before the plug was pulled becasue of CBA crap.

and of course now were screwed again because mcbath is hurt again, so really who knows what we have in him....and as you said the class is weak....whats funny though is that hill is actually a very decent player this year, better than last.....

I think Champ will be leaving because of more then one reason, the other is that he likely wants to win a championship before he hangs it up and we have to account for the state of the team; players are more likely to want to re-sign if the team is doing well or headed in the right direction rather then well headed towards complete self-destruction like this organization is.

And I agree with your assessment of McBath, we have no real idea where he stands. And unless Bowlen is going to flash a wad of cash for one of the better free agent safeties after the season then we have to draft someone...and there is only a handful that I see any promise in and they will need time to develop.

broncohead
11-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Might as well see what we have in the young backups. Put the pressure on them and put them on the field. This will give us a good idea what to draft and FA.

SBboundBRONCOS
11-26-2010, 02:51 AM
Josh McDaniels for 200, Alex.

ya cuz shanny had us as such respectable teams 06-08 :laugh:
:rolleyes:

SBboundBRONCOS
11-26-2010, 02:53 AM
Might as well see what we have in the young backups. Put the pressure on them and put them on the field. This will give us a good idea what to draft and FA.

only problem is both of our back ups are injured, mcbath is ruled out and bruton is hurt idk his status, right now we have syd running at safety

hes all of about 180lbs . . . awesome,

damn do we need some depth from the draft or what

Bosco
11-26-2010, 02:59 AM
only problem is both of our back ups are injured, mcbath is ruled out and bruton is hurt idk his status, right now we have syd running at safety

hes all of about 180lbs . . . awesome,

damn do we need some depth from the draft or what

What happened to McBath? Didn't he just get healthy?

broncofaninfla
11-26-2010, 06:31 AM
What happened to McBath? Didn't he just get healthy?

He was injured again last week. I didn't realize that at the time I posted this poll. If healthy it would be a no brainer to give him a chance to start over Dawkins given Dawkins poor play this season.

spikerman
11-26-2010, 06:50 AM
ya cuz shanny had us as such respectable teams 06-08 :laugh:
:rolleyes:

Denver wasn't great then but now I suspect teams look on their schedules HOPING to see the Broncos on it.

EastCoastBronco
11-26-2010, 08:54 AM
I say we throw the young guys in there.
WTF difference does it make now?
The season's a write off.