PDA

View Full Version : Did it seem like Gruden was calling out McDaniels?

Jake Klug
11-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Toward the end of the game, he made a scathing comment about Orton's stats being inflated because of garbage time.

But he also hammered the Broncos on their lack of balance. When he said this, Im sure I wasnt the only one that kind of read between the lines that he was sctunizing why Denver got rid of their old system.

For an offensive coach like McDaniels, this is a fairly substantial rebuke from another member of the coaching community. Give credit to Gruden for doing his job and setting fraternity affiliation aside.

sneakers
11-23-2010, 06:56 AM
eh, who cares what he says?

spikerman
11-23-2010, 07:14 AM

Well, I can think of a lot of people who would take his word as gospel if he would have praised McDaniels.

spikerman
11-23-2010, 07:16 AM
Toward the end of the game, he made a scathing comment about Orton's stats being inflated because of garbage time.

But he also hammered the Broncos on their lack of balance. When he said this, Im sure I wasnt the only one that kind of read between the lines that he was sctunizing why Denver got rid of their old system.

For an offensive coach like McDaniels, this is a fairly substantial rebuke from another member of the coaching community. Give credit to Gruden for doing his job and setting fraternity affiliation aside.

IMO, he's right. Time to bring in the young guys and see if they can play because if they can't McDaniels is toast. Now that I think about it, maybe there's a reason he's hesitant to play him.

Jake Klug
11-23-2010, 08:05 AM
IMO, he's right. Time to bring in the young guys and see if they can play because if they can't McDaniels is toast. Now that I think about it, maybe there's a reason he's hesitant to play him.

Another thing that I remembered after my original post is that, he was also talking about the AFC West and how the teams hate each other...like he was either waxing nostalic or he was wanting to be a part of it again...or both.

In other words, it kind of seemed like he may have let his guard down in, sort of, expressing that Denver is a place that he might be interested in...not that this is what he explicitly said or meant to say but...but maybe it was calculated?

Nomad
11-23-2010, 08:15 AM

i agreed with Gruden because McDaniels should of brought in the younger guys during the 4th!

BroncoDiva87
11-23-2010, 08:18 AM
While I have never been much of a Norv turner fan, it was like he was saying to little mcnugget..."This is how its done in the big leagues BOY!" Maybe these veteran coaches (chucky included). Will keep taking him to task.maybe, just maybe it will give chucky the motovation to yank the reins away from our high school coach!

Jake Klug
11-23-2010, 08:19 AM
i agreed with Gruden because McDaniels should of brought in the younger guys during the 4th!

Its not Top of the Muffin TO YOU!

HORSEPOWER 56
11-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Of course he was calling out McDaniels. What person with an ounce of football sense wasn't calling out McDaniels last night? Oh that's right, Tom Jackson on the pregame show was praising him... It would've been nice to hear what TJ had to say after the game.

Jake Klug
11-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Of course he was calling out McDaniels. What person with an ounce of football sense wasn't calling out McDaniels last night? Oh that's right, Tom Jackson on the pregame show was praising him... It would've been nice to hear what TJ had to say after the game.

Yeah, true, but there might have even been a slip that Denver is a job Gruden would be interested in.

UnderArmour
11-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Lol what? Orton's stats inflated by garbage time? Did he REALLY say that? The Broncos have only been in two games where there was significant garbage time(Baltimore, Oakland) so what the hell is he even talking about? The Broncos have been playing people close this year just like they did last year only this time things just aren't going in our favor.

BroncoStud
11-23-2010, 09:29 AM

Gruden was spot on. I hope he is the one on the Denve sideline next season.

broncofaninfla
11-23-2010, 09:37 AM
A lot of people are calling out Mcd. Add Grudens name to the list....

G_Money
11-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Orton's stats are inflated because he throws the ball 50 times a game, not because of garbage time. Still, I know plenty of QBs in the league who are not capable of racking up those stats, so if we're gonna throw it everywhere at least our QB is capable of it. He's not the guy I would choose but there are plenty of worse choices...which is why if and when Tebow gets his number called we'll have plenty of suitors for Orton. Competency is worth something, even if it doesn't come in the red-zone or the 4th quarter.

But our rushing offense is an abortional misery, our defense can only get pressure when we do that thing that Josh hates - blitz - and because he hates it we won't stick with it, we still suck at play-calling and blocking and coordination, we make stupid decisions on the field and we play like next week might be more important than this week.

Our inverted sense of urgency really bugs me. This is the game I expected to see after last week, sadly. We can get up for one game. One time. But not for every game.

We'd better be able to get up for KC better than we did for SD. Gruden is right, the AFCW was a league of rivals hating each other, and the other guys seem to have the proper fury again. We showed well against KC when everything went our way. Time to see what happens in two weeks.

Any bets on whether that means we look past the Rams on the way, as is our wont?

~G

SOCALORADO.
11-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Gruden was spot on. I hope he is the one on the Denve sideline next season.

Heard it, and Gruden is absolutely right and everyone knows it.
Theres no balance on the offense, and most of Ortons yards come from "garbage yards". Meaningless yards that the offense gives Orton underneath which he gladly takes.....until he gets sacked yet again.
Then theres the other yards, where Bandon Lloyd makes circus catch after circus catch to keep the offense on the field much longer than it deserves.

I dont think Gruden meant garbage time, like late game yardage. But garbage yards. Inflating the QB's stats. Thats the MCD system. Fake yards that done mean anything.

Northman
11-23-2010, 09:55 AM
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/gruden-1.jpg

SOCALORADO.
11-23-2010, 10:15 AM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3190/2801441906_4e6da257fd.jpg?v=0

BCJ
11-23-2010, 01:05 PM

Pat Bowlen might if Gruden is publicly looking for the Denver HC job.

KCL
11-23-2010, 01:11 PM
He was commenting on McD's needs and his draft picks.

Krugan
11-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Im surpirsed he got anything said, with the way he was blowing Phillip...

Nomad
11-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Im surpirsed he got anything said, with the way he was blowing Phillip...

maybe he's staging himself for the San Diego job!!;)

horsepig
11-23-2010, 01:35 PM
You mean like the old 3'rd &13-8 yard route that is always open?

rationalfan
11-23-2010, 01:46 PM

i might be reading too far into something that isn't there, but why is it that some people love gruden's fire on the field but ridicule mcd's fire on the field?

as with most things, many of these posts say more about the person making the post than the subject they're writing about.

Northman
11-23-2010, 01:50 PM
i might be reading too far into something that isn't there, but why is it that some people love gruden's fire on the field but ridicule mcd's fire on the field?

as with most things, many of these posts say more about the person making the post than the subject they're writing about.

When have i said i dont like McD's fire. I must of missed something. :confused:

sanluis
11-23-2010, 01:52 PM

I don't think so... It is not fair to the young guys. They didn't make the mess ..why should they be thrown in the fire and get the crap beat out of them. That would just mess up their confidence IMO.

The vets made the mess and they should have to stay in and finish the 60 minutes.

It is not fair to the younger players. Because last night was not going to be the environment for a successful beginning. :2cents:

BroncoStud
11-23-2010, 01:56 PM
I love the fact that McD gets fired up and emotional on the sideline. I can't stand the fact that he can't get the players to consistently do the same.

SOCALORADO.
11-23-2010, 02:05 PM
When have i said i dont like McD's fire. I must of missed something. :confused:

http://lennyfromindy.mywnde.com/files/2009/08/joshmcdevil.jpg

Yeah, whats wrong with his fire?!?!

Dzone
11-23-2010, 02:06 PM

Now thats a little judgemental...Mcdaniels simply rubs people the wrong way and it has nothing to do with his fire on the field, I dont think people mind that. I like the way Mcd gets fired up, but I think he sucks as a coach. Hopefully he will be fired and move on to make a great OC somewhere and then be a good HC in about 6-7 years after he grows up and stops being an arrogant jerk.

Nomad
11-23-2010, 02:10 PM
I don't think so... It is not fair to the young guys. They didn't make the mess ..why should they be thrown in the fire and get the crap beat out of them. That would just mess up their confidence IMO.

The vets made the mess and they should have to stay in and finish the 60 minutes.

It is not fair to the younger players. Because last night was not going to be the environment for a successful beginning. :2cents:

No offense but I do trust Gruden's opinion over yours!

Lancane
11-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Gruden is as passionate as they come, and I don't think there are many Broncos fans that are slighted or disturbed by McDaniels' enthusiasm, the difference is that one knows how to coach, run an organization and be successful whilst the other wants to be successful and can not run an organization or coach beyond a particular facet of the team.

And yeah, Gruden was praising Rivers profusely, but he pretty much did the same for Brandon Lloyd the whole night...so, he's ass and ****sucker because he didn't overly praise Orton who looked like a sack of fire lit dog crap? Talk about hypocritical!

vandammage13
11-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Gruden merely stated what I have thought all along. Orton pads his stats at the end of games when the Broncos are down 2+ scores. Look at the last drive when Gruden made the comment...The game was out of hand, and what is Orton doing? He dumps the ball off to Moreno 3 plays in a row. Meaningless stats that help inflate his numbers making Orton appear to be "elite."

If you just look at the stats, Orton looks like he's having a special season, but if you actually watch the games, it is anything but special, and its apparent that he is not able to get it done when it matters. It is a joke that people don't know enough about football to be able to see this.

Orton did nothing the entire game. Is he the only problem the Broncos have? No, this team has many glaring weaknesess, but it is obvious that Orton is not the answer. Orton managed to get another meaningless touchdown after having several 3 and outs and the defense was playing off, which is something that I've grown tired of this year.

I can only say that maybe the benefit of keeping Orton in there and inflating his stats would be to dupe some unsuspecting franchise like the Panthers or 49ers into overpaying for him in a trade this offseason...Unfortunately, Gruden let the cat out of the bag that I was hoping would remain quiet so we could get something for Orton.

sanluis
11-23-2010, 02:51 PM
No offense but I do trust Gruden's opinion over yours!

:lol: ... fair enough!!

Did Gruden actually say put in Timmy Tebow? I had the sound down and didn't hear him say that?? :confused:

KCL
11-23-2010, 02:52 PM

Did Gruden actually say put in Timmy Tebow? I had the sound down and didn't hear him say that?? :confused:

You had the sound down? What were you doing during the game...wait...don't answer that.

BroncoTech
11-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Gruden is just calling it like he sees it. Like how we stockpiled 3 quarterbacks to get rid of Hillis, or sent Fonze packing, now he's #3 in interceptions. Not to mention Cutler, Marshall and Sheff. Most announcers seem to concur all Josh has is a blueprint for the destruction of the franchise.

Personally I've seen enough of the Josh era.

Northman
11-23-2010, 03:52 PM

Yea, in fact Gruden was pretty adament about it. It wasnt like he was saying Tebow could bring them back to win but to give the guy some reps since the game was out of hand anyway. We've had 3-4 games this year where we could of easily put Tebow in for a few minutes to get his feet wet. Its almost like McD thinks Tebow will break or something. :lol:

For a kid who is supposed to be "mr. confidence" and a "winner" i just dont see how he is so fragile as McD or some of the members on this board seem to imply. Its pretty hilarious that we need to coddle a player who is predicted to be an "elite" QB by so many. I guess Indianapolis didnt feel they needed to coddle Manning and he never beat Florida while at Tennesse and he was known as capt. choke back then. :lol:

KCL
11-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Yea, in fact Gruden was pretty adament about it. It wasnt like he was saying Tebow could bring them back to win but to give the guy some reps since the game was out of hand anyway. We've had 3-4 games this year where we could of easily put Tebow in for a few minutes to get his feet wet. Its almost like McD thinks Tebow will break or something. :lol:

For a kid who is supposed to be "mr. confidence" and a "winner" i just dont see how he is so fragile as McD or some of the members on this board seem to imply. Its pretty hilarious that we need to coddle a player who is predicted to be an "elite" QB by so many. I guess Indianapolis didnt feel they needed to coddle Manning and he never beat Florida while at Tennesse and he was known as capt. choke back then. :lol:

No shit...I'd even be interested in seeing what he could do if they put him in and start at the 20 instead of the 1 yard line.