PDA

View Full Version : Pittman adjusts to new role

Denver Native (Carol)
08-21-2008, 04:19 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/pittman.fullback.broncos.2.800455.html

Broncos' Pittman Adjusts To New Role

DENVER (AP) ― When Michael Pittman arrived in Denver, he told the coaches he'd do whatever was asked of him.

Little did he know they'd take him at his word.

After spending the last decade as an NFL tailback, Pittman has been moved to fullback for the Broncos.

He's not thrilled with the move, but he knows this: he'd rather be a lead blocker than a sideline spectator or even a former player.

So, he's biting his lip and looking for someone to hit.

"You can't be a one-dimensional player. A lot of one-dimensional players will leave a lot faster than the guy who can do a lot of different things," Pittman said. "I can run, I can catch and I can block. I think that's the reason why the Broncos brought me over here."

Pittman actually leads the team in carries in the preseason, but that's mostly a product of injuries.

At 6-foot and 225 pounds, Pittman isn't your prototypical fullback.

"I'm not a natural fullback but at the same time I'm stronger than most fullbacks," he said. "Physically, I go in there and I can slam into a linebacker. But I'm really a runner, that's what I do, coming out of the backfield and catch some balls.

"But I'll do whatever my coaches ask me to do. I won't complain about it. I'll just go out there and just do my job. Pound for pound, I'm probably one of the strongest guys on the team."

And that's why Andre Hall, one of three young tailbacks expected to share snaps this season along with Selvin Young and Anthony Alridge, loves running behind Pittman.

"Fullbacks are usually slower. They take longer to read. Pittman flies right in there, he hits whoever," Hall said. "That's my type. I like somebody that's just going to go all-out."

Pittman, who spent the last six seasons in Tampa Bay, hasn't tapped into the knowledge of his former teammate Mike Alstott about lead blocking.

"We talk about other things," Pittman said.

Despite his insistence that he'll do what he's asked, it's easy to tell Pittman would rather be getting the handoffs himself.

"I'll get in where I fit in," he said. "It's just an adjustment for me. It's just another step in my career. This is my 11th year and I'm excited to do a lot of new things. So, like I said, if the coach asks me to do it, I just go out there and I have fun doing it."

So, what does he enjoy about playing fullback?

"Well, probably just catching passes," Pittman said. "I really don't like lead blocking too much. But I go in there and I'll do it. Just catching passes. It's a mismatch, me against a linebacker 1-on-1. I can really take advantage of a linebacker.

"And physically, that's a mismatch too. Because physically they can't cover me. So, there's a lot of things I can bring to the table in the passing game. So, I will say just really coming out of the backfield."

And doing whatever's asked of him, without a complaint or a smile.

broncos9697
08-21-2008, 04:24 PM
I like what pittman has to bring to the table as in speed as a fullback but I am worried he will be cut from the team..

Broncos Mtnman
08-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Great attitude from the guy.

Some are predicting he'll be cut, but I think he makes the team and one of the reasons why is because of what you're reading in this article.

We need as many "whatever it takes" players we can find. They are all too rare in this day and age.

:beer:

DenBronx
08-21-2008, 04:58 PM
pittman adjust to his new role : of doing NOTHING

omac
08-21-2008, 07:11 PM
I hope he stays. He can be a blocking, pass-catching FB, plus he's emergency depth insurance for our RBs.

I like his attitude.

gobroncsnv
08-21-2008, 07:17 PM
My jury's still out, because I want to see what Hillis can do. Mtman got it right, you do have to appreciate a guy who takes one FOR the team, instead of taking from it.

Another good find, Carol.

dogfish
08-21-2008, 07:25 PM
while i don't have any problems with pittman as a football player, i'd hate to see us keep him as a one-or two-year rental at the expense of a promising young guy like hillis or alridge. . .

frauschieze
08-21-2008, 07:51 PM
while i don't have any problems with pittman as a football player, i'd hate to see us keep him as a one-or two-year rental at the expense of a promising young guy like hillis or alridge. . .

My thoughts exactly. I'd rather keep the young, promising players around and get them time on the field than a bunch of stop gaps.

WhatEver!!!
08-21-2008, 08:20 PM
The only thing about Pittman that bothers me is that his is huge but he never gets the yardage. Never really took off as a FB. Look at "The BUS" he was huge in a different way but he got the yardage. Is Bettis faster, stronger than Pittman?? That really bothers me about Pittman. So I would have to put my money on Hillis.

Superchop 7
08-22-2008, 02:06 AM
You compare Pittman to Jehuu Caulcrick at FB, there is no comparison, Caulcrick can pancake a linebacker.

DenBronx
08-22-2008, 02:31 AM
id hate to see hillis get cut at the expense of pittman...noway that happens. hillis was gold in the 7th. fb is hillis natural position and this guy has at least a solid 10 years in the nfl. hillis can block, is fast, has size, can run and catch the ball. to me hillis is 10x more of an athlete than pittman. i'll vomit if he gets cut or throw beer at my tv.

Superchop 7
08-22-2008, 05:36 AM
id hate to see hillis get cut at the expense of pittman...noway that happens. hillis was gold in the 7th. fb is hillis natural position and this guy has at least a solid 10 years in the nfl. hillis can block, is fast, has size, can run and catch the ball. to me hillis is 10x more of an athlete than pittman. i'll vomit if he gets cut or throw beer at my tv.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

Time for new blood at the position.

Dreadnought
08-22-2008, 07:18 AM

Agreed - Pittman doesn't have any long term upside at all, whereas Hillis and Aldridge both have the potential to contribute for years. I really don't think he makes this team when it all shakes out.

Den21vsBal19
08-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Agreed - Pittman doesn't have any long term upside at all, whereas Hillis and Aldridge both have the potential to contribute for years. I really don't think he makes this team when it all shakes out.
If the backs are performing better behind Pittman than Sapp, I can see Sapp being the one to lose out. I think we'd be taking a huge chance trying to get Hillis to the PS though.

Sapp/Pittman as the starter, with Hillis as the back up

Dreadnought
08-22-2008, 08:27 AM
If the backs are performing better behind Pittman than Sapp, I can see Sapp being the one to lose out. I think we'd be taking a huge chance trying to get Hillis to the PS though.

Right - if Hillis goes to the PS we'll lose him for sure.

dogfish
08-22-2008, 01:03 PM

i hope not. . . sapp has a lot of special teams value, and i'm not sure that pittman evens plays ST. . . besides which, sapp is a longtime bronco who's always done whatever has been asked of him-- he's a grinder, a completely selfless worker who keeps his mout shut, stays out of trouble, and never complains about doing the dirty work. . . i'd really hate to see him get cut for a douchebag like pittman who'll be gone in a year or two anyways. . . .