PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead to next year...

robert ethan
11-23-2010, 12:46 AM
The current season has come undone, pretty much, but on the bright side the team looks to have some high draft picks this coming spring, and at least a couple of hot trade commodities.

Most of the other teams looking at drafting in the first half of the first round have QB issues. Denver has a surplus, and could get a good return on a Kyle Orton or Brady Quinn, as well as teams wanting to trade up in the draft to get a shot at one of the top QB prospects.

Assuming they draft top 10 in the first round, I think that McDaniels will be fielding plenty of offers for the pick, with teams such as Carolina, Minnesota, Cleveland, Seattle, Tennessee, Cincinnati, San Francisco, Tennessee, Washington, etc., all looking to draft a future QB. There seem to be 4 or 5 QBs who figure to go high in the draft. They could trade their first for a later first, a second, and maybe a first next year, depending on the team they deal with. As it sits, they look to have two other second round picks in the top half of the second round.

Things are falling into place for the team to capitalize on a situation during the off season.

Jake Klug
11-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Too much is up in the air right now including McDaniels tenure as head coach of the Broncos. This is way too hypothetical.

robert ethan
11-23-2010, 12:59 AM
Too much is up in the air right now including McDaniels tenure as head coach of the Broncos. This is way too hypothetical.

I think that McDaniels "tenure" is the one thing you can count on for next season. Josh is going nowhere unless he gets caught in a cheap motel room abusing young boys. But you have to grant the market for QBs at the moment. Lots of them getting injured, lots getting old or ineffective.

The fact that Orton is currently one of the top QBs in the league and most Denver fans consider him expendable speaks volumes. Brady Quinn has value as well, despite his inactivity. Also, they are one of the few teams who figure to end up with a high first round pick who don't need to draft a QB. Along with St.Louis and Detroit, I suppose. Although Matt Stafford is injured so often I don't know if you could even count the Lions out.

Jake Klug
11-23-2010, 01:07 AM
I think that McDaniels "tenure" is the one thing you can count on for next season. Josh is going nowhere unless he gets caught in a cheap motel room abusing young boys. But you have to grant the market for QBs at the moment. Lots of them getting injured, lots getting old or ineffective.
The fact that Orton is currently one of the top QBs in the league and most Denver fans consider him expendable speaks volumes. Brady Quinn has value as well, despite his inactivity. Also, they are one of the few teams who figure to end up with a high first round pick who don't need to draft a QB. Along with St.Louis and Detroit, I suppose. Although Matt Stafford is injured so often I don't know if you could even count the Lions out.

I dont agree. These kinds of losses can only happen so many times.

Lancane
11-23-2010, 01:38 AM
I think that McDaniels "tenure" is the one thing you can count on for next season. Josh is going nowhere unless he gets caught in a cheap motel room abusing young boys.

If Childress can be fired after nearly going to the Super Bowl followed by having a second season that is pretty much crap, then McDaniels having a mediocre year followed by an even worse year is very expendable.

silkamilkamonico
11-23-2010, 02:16 AM
If Childress can be fired after nearly going to the Super Bowl followed by having a second season that is pretty much crap, then McDaniels having a mediocre year followed by an even worse year is very expendable.

The only reason Childress was fired was because he went behind ownerships back in the Moss debacle. Up until that point Wilf ademently supported Childress' transition from Favre until his next QB.

Lancane
11-23-2010, 02:35 AM
The only reason Childress was fired was because he went behind ownerships back in the Moss debacle. Up until that point Wilf ademently supported Childress' transition from Favre until his next QB.

Doesn't matter, the precedence has been set. Because even though the Moss debacle might have played a factor, Wilf never claimed that it was that it was the reason behind the ordeal. Childress and Philips are both fired after having previously good seasons only to become bottom feeders, whereas we are a mediocre team that have become likewise; tolerance was in their corners because of previously solid seasons, McDaniels does not even have that...and there comes a time when others usually have to follow a set precedence to save face.

broncofaninfla
11-23-2010, 06:47 AM
Mcd chasing Nolan out of town makes sense now, he was the only interim head coach option on the team.

Denver just sucks we are the worst team in the leagues worst division. I hate what this team has become and where they are headed. I fear the Rams this week, how sad is that?

Jake Klug
11-23-2010, 06:50 AM
Mcd chasing Nolan out of town makes sense now, he was the only interim head coach option on the team.

Denver just sucks we are the worst team in the leagues worst division. I hate what this team has become and where they are headed. I fear the Rams this week, how sad is that?

Speaking of the Rams, I heard that there was a rumor that Bowlen and Kroenke would swap teams and Pat would move the Rams to LA while Kroenke would own the Broncos in Denver. It doesnt even seem remotely realistic though.

spikerman
11-23-2010, 07:24 AM
meh, Unless Bowlen comes to his senses and hires a real personnel guy it doesn't matter what Denver does with their pick(s) - there's a great chance they'll be wasted anyway.

Tned
11-23-2010, 08:04 AM
The current season has come undone, pretty much, but on the bright side the team looks to have some high draft picks this coming spring, and at least a couple of hot trade commodities.

Most of the other teams looking at drafting in the first half of the first round have QB issues. Denver has a surplus, and could get a good return on a Kyle Orton or Brady Quinn, as well as teams wanting to trade up in the draft to get a shot at one of the top QB prospects.

It's not even clear that Orton would be a hot trade commodity, so I don't really see how we can label Quinn one.

Based on most accounts of what happened in the offseason, we traded a backup FB and two 6th round picks for Quinn, and he wasn't even capable of being real competition for the starting job, and lost out to a rookie for the backup job. Quinn has done nothing to his increase his value, so it's hard to imagine we get as much for him as we gave.

Orton is hard to peg. Yes, he has put up big numbers, but we don't know how GM's are going to look at those numbers. The result of a "system"? The result of a massively throw heavy offense because of having the worst running game in the league?

It's hard for me to believe anyone is going to give more than a mid round pick for Orton, and very possibly not that high.

Jake Klug
11-23-2010, 08:06 AM

Adamant support from the owner means little. In fact, its often the kiss of death.

MileHighCrew
11-23-2010, 08:09 AM
It isn't only the numbers with Orton. It is the fact that he hasn't won the big game. Takes a lot of sacks or makes mental mistakes when the game is on the line.
I notice it, people on here notice it. I am sure NFL GMs notice it too. If the game is on the line pressure Orton and he will make a mistake.

Jake Klug
11-23-2010, 08:12 AM
It's not even clear that Orton would be a hot trade commodity, so I don't really see how we can label Quinn one.

Based on most accounts of what happened in the offseason, we traded a backup FB and two 6th round picks for Quinn, and he wasn't even capable of being real competition for the starting job, and lost out to a rookie for the backup job. Quinn has done nothing to his increase his value, so it's hard to imagine we get as much for him as we gave.

Orton is hard to peg. Yes, he has put up big numbers, but we don't know how GM's are going to look at those numbers. The result of a "system"? The result of a massively throw heavy offense because of having the worst running game in the league?

It's hard for me to believe anyone is going to give more than a mid round pick for Orton, and very possibly not that high.

Youre right that Orton is hard to peg. Im not sure that the main criticism against him is the system as much as its a lot of his numbers are kind of inflated from garbage time and also that he hasnt performed that well when he was needed to most.

But if theres a team out there that feels theyre one QB away, say some teams like the Vikings, Orton may be worth a lot more than a mid round pick.

I think the other teams where Orton is a candidate to be traded are teams where the coach is desperate to stabilize the QB situation. Orton did OK with learning this offense. So there are teams that dont see him as great but the best option available if they have little time to develop a QB they drafted or someone else.

But Kolb will be another QB out there that might knock down Ortons value a little. Still though, Orton has accomplished more than Kolb.

Tned
11-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Youre right that Orton is hard to peg. Im not sure that the main criticism against him is the system as much as its a lot of his numbers are kind of inflated from garbage time and also that he hasnt performed that well when he was needed to most.

But if theres a team out there that feels theyre one QB away, say some teams like the Vikings, Orton may be worth a lot more than a mid round pick.

I think the other teams where Orton is a candidate to be traded are teams where the coach is desperate to stabilize the QB situation. Orton did OK with learning this offense. So there are teams that dont see him as great but the best option available if they have little time to develop a QB they drafted or someone else.

But Kolb will be another QB out there that might knock down Ortons value a little. Still though, Orton has accomplished more than Kolb.

Maybe if the GM of the other team can get the Broncos to include Lloyd as a package deal, since Lloyd's acrobatic throws are a BIG part of Ortons production this year.

TXBRONC
11-23-2010, 08:50 AM

Childress also sign a contraction extension just recently so if he can fired it's not impossible for McDaniels to be.

IIRC Bowlen is still forking out money to Shanahan so he may not want to have two former head coaches plus a new head coach.

Jake Klug
11-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Childress also sign a contraction extension just recently so if he can fired it's not impossible for McDaniels to be.

IIRC Bowlen is still forking out money to Shanahan so he may not want to have two former head coaches plus a new head coach.

Yeah, but even though a lot of money comes from the TV contracts, its not like the money the fans spend is anything to sneeze at. Bowlen is running the risk of fumbling a cherished fanbase. And its hard to win customers back. Apathy will soon be setting in.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-23-2010, 09:17 AM

Yep, exactly my thoughts, too. McDaniels guaranteed his job security for at least the rest of the season by devoiding the Broncos of coaching talent the past 2 years and thereby eliminating any competition for his position. For a guy who preaches that he loves competition at all positions and nobody's job is safe, he sure did wonders at ensuring his is.

BroncoStud
11-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Yep, exactly my thoughts, too. McDaniels guaranteed his job security for at least the rest of the season by devoiding the Broncos of coaching talent the past 2 years and thereby eliminating any competition for his position. For a guy who preaches that he loves competition at all positions and nobody's job is safe, he sure did wonders at ensuring his is.

^^ Yep ^^

Traveler
11-23-2010, 10:03 AM
It isn't only the numbers with Orton. It is the fact that he hasn't won the big game. Takes a lot of sacks or makes mental mistakes when the game is on the line.
I notice it, people on here notice it. I am sure NFL GMs notice it too. If the game is on the line pressure Orton and he will make a mistake.

Seems like the same thing was said about our former QB now in Chicago.:D

BroncoStud
11-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Seems like the same thing was said about our former QB now in Chicago.:D

It was and still is, but Cutler has something Orton does not... TALENT. He can actually throw a 20 yard out and run for a 1st down when he wants to.

BigDaddyBronco
11-23-2010, 10:10 AM

A couple of points on Childress. One, he cut Randy Moss who they just gave up a 3rd rounder for without even talking to the owner. Zigi considered firing him 3 weeks ago for that. Two, he had Leslie Frazier standing ready to be the HC. Frazier has been a HC candidate for several years now, so he didn't have to bring someone else in and pay them. Bowlen doesn't have that type of guy to fall back on (now that Nolen is gone).

The uncertain labor market and that he is still paying for Shanny makes it unlikely that he will fire Josh.

BigDaddyBronco
11-23-2010, 10:11 AM
It was and still is, but Cutler has something Orton does not... TALENT. He can actually throw a 20 yard out and run for a 1st down when he wants to.

And he can throw 4 INT's to the same guy.

MileHighCrew
11-23-2010, 10:17 AM
This isn't Cutler vs Otron anymore. That doesn't matter.

Can Orton win? Did he quit yesterday? Can Tebow start? Should Tebow start?
I don't care about Cutler or what was said about him. I don't care about the fact the Bears are headed for the playoffs and Cutler is leading them there? I care about the Broncos and Orton can't win the close game this year. If it is close or we need a big play ORTON can't make a play. So what is his vaule on the trade market?

BroncoNut
11-23-2010, 11:18 AM
I know we haven't won many games, but this has been a great rebuilding year. I can not wait for camp.

rationalfan
11-23-2010, 11:28 AM
uh, here's the thing, this season's not over. yet.

BroncoNut
11-23-2010, 11:39 AM

have you been watching this team the last several weeks?

frenchfan
11-23-2010, 11:52 AM

Assuming they draft top 10 in the first round, I think that McDaniels will be fielding plenty of offers for the pick, with teams such as Carolina, Minnesota, Cleveland, Seattle, Tennessee, Cincinnati, San Francisco, Tennessee, Washington, etc., all looking to draft a future QB. There seem to be 4 or 5 QBs who figure to go high in the draft. They could trade their first for a later first, a second, and maybe a first next year, depending on the team they deal with. As it sits, they look to have two other second round picks in the top half of the second round.

Things are falling into place for the team to capitalize on a situation during the off season.Sarcasm ON
Nope... we need to keep our high draft pick to get a QB... :rolleyes: :laugh:
Why would we do something about the D? (and hum... please, another CB... I really don't want DL or LB).

Ok... sarcasm off... :D

BroncoStud
11-23-2010, 12:05 PM
I know we haven't won many games, but this has been a great rebuilding year. I can not wait for camp.

I'm not sure what we've rebuilt :lol: I think we're still in the "destruct" process.

BroncoStud
11-23-2010, 12:06 PM

Oh yes it is... There are games left, but the season is over.

PAINTERDAVE
11-23-2010, 12:12 PM

As an Orton supporter... you saying this is quite telling.
Orton not even worth better than a mid-round pick?
It really is time to play the kid.

TXBRONC
11-23-2010, 12:14 PM

Realistically it is.

robert ethan
11-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Orton's value is GREATER THAN HIS NUMBERS, because he is...well...Orton. No big ego. Will start, or backup, or transition for a younger QB with equal aplomb. A guy who can keep a team respectable, (for a reasonable price), and maybe do something exceptional under the right circumstances. He is durable, well liked, and won't embarass the team off the field.