PDA

View Full Version : I know it's only week 3 but.....

Reidman
09-20-2007, 03:17 AM
I love seeing this on the team stats page on NFL.com....:salute:

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/1252/screenshotpi6.th.jpg (http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotpi6.jpg)

Can't honestly remember the last time we led in total offense...:confused:
Also hard to believe we've only won by FG's given those stats.

Davii
09-20-2007, 03:28 AM

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/1252/screenshotpi6.th.jpg (http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotpi6.jpg)

The offense has been ridiculously good until we hit the 20 yd line. Once in the red zone it seems Mike is getting more conservative and opting to run the ball even more so than usual.

Yards are great, but we need TDs in the red zone, let Jay throw more. I mean, how many times have we 1st down within the 20 yd line ran on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd downs and wound up 4th and 1 or 2 to settle for a FG?

sneakers
09-20-2007, 03:30 AM
The offense has been ridiculously good until we hit the 20 yd line. Once in the red zone it seems Mike is getting more conservative and opting to run the ball even more so than usual.

Yards are great, but we need TDs in the red zone, let Jay throw more. I mean, how many times have we 1st down within the 20 yd line ran on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd downs and wound up 4th and 1 or 2 to settle for a FG?

Haven't we had these problems the last few years too?

Davii
09-20-2007, 03:36 AM

Yes and no, we had the problem with scoring points in the beginning of last year, but it was different. We weren't amassing enough yds to lead the league and coming away with low scores, we weren't getting near this yardage.

BroncoBJ
09-20-2007, 04:08 AM
Yea I agree. I love looking on nfl.com and seeing that. I hope for another good offensive output and a Great Defensive outing. I would love to shut the jags out and lead in Total O and D after week 3 going into the Colts game. But the most important stat is 2-0 but those other stats are right up there. It be nice to end the season as the best team period. :)

sneakers
09-20-2007, 04:12 AM
Yes and no, we had the problem with scoring points in the beginning of last year, but it was different. We weren't amassing enough yds to lead the league and coming away with low scores, we weren't getting near this yardage.

I thought our Backs were a little too small last year to consistantly punch it in on the ground inside of the 5 yardline. We had to rely a lot on trickery. Which shouldn't happen when you traditionaly run the ball as well as we have.

Reidman
09-20-2007, 04:35 AM

I agree Davii. With Henry back there now, we should be able to pull off some option plays. Maybe Shanny's feeling is that with Travis Henry we should be able to easily run the ball in from 10 to 20 yards out but it's just not happening.

Plummer used to execute the bootleg perfectly and I think Cutler could do just as well if not better on bootleg situations. I don't know why we don't try that more often...

sneakers
09-20-2007, 04:54 AM
I agree Davii. With Henry back there now, we should be able to pull off some option plays. Maybe Shanny's feeling is that with Travis Henry we should be able to easily run the ball in from 10 to 20 yards out but it's just not happening.

Plummer used to execute the bootleg perfectly and I think Cutler could do just as well if not better on bootleg situations. I don't know why we don't try that more often...

I can't remember them doing a plummer-like bootleg this year with Jay...I don't know how accurate Jay is throwing the ball while running, because Jake was one of the best at it. :confused:

omac
09-20-2007, 06:18 AM
I can't remember them doing a plummer-like bootleg this year with Jay...I don't know how accurate Jay is throwing the ball while running, because Jake was one of the best at it. :confused:

Jay's pretty accurate; look no further than the Cincy game last year, rolling right, throwing on the run, a pass that goes in between 2 or 3 defenders and hits Kircus.

I've also seen him execute the play-action, roll and pass to the endzone. Can't remember if it was a game last season, or whatever, but I saw him execute it.

TXBRONC
09-20-2007, 07:16 AM

I think he's passing early some of the time in the red zone. In the last game the TD that was called back because offensive pass interference was on 2nd down I think.

Tned
09-20-2007, 07:37 AM

Agreed, while it's only 2 weeks, I also can't remember a time when the Broncos were in the top five in so many catagories.

The last two or three year the Broncos have gone into training camp talking about needing to improve their red zone conversions. While the optomist in me says it's just the new faces, young QB, etc., the realist says that this is a long term Broncos problem and might not get fixed overnight.

Yep, see response to Davii.

lex
09-20-2007, 10:30 AM

I dont think its the red zone so much but it seems like were avoiding more 3 and outs and like were getting the ball past midfield on a higher percentage of drives.

Lonestar
09-20-2007, 11:48 AM
I thought our Backs were a little too small last year to consistantly punch it in on the ground inside of the 5 yardline. We had to rely a lot on trickery. Which shouldn't happen when you traditionaly run the ball as well as we have.

You will always have to finesse the DLINE inside the red zone as our OLINE is undersized to overpower them. That is a fact of life.

When the defensive field shrinks up especially inside the 5 yard line the defenders have so little field they have to defend they can keep almost all of their players @ the LOS.

topscribe
09-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Jay's pretty accurate; look no further than the Cincy game last year, rolling right, throwing on the run, a pass that goes in between 2 or 3 defenders and hits Kircus.

I've also seen him execute the play-action, roll and pass to the endzone. Can't remember if it was a game last season, or whatever, but I saw him execute it.
You can look no further than the Buffalo game, when he was running to the
right, then passed back to the left, across his body, to the other side of the
field and hit Javon between the numbers. Remember that?

-----

Lonestar
09-20-2007, 11:57 AM
You can look no further than the Buffalo game, when he was running to the
right, then passed back to the left, across his body, to the other side of the
field and hit Javon between the numbers. Remember that?

-----

Yep and I also heard the comment from the announcers about it being a real risky play!!!

Yes he can roll out and has quite often.

Yes he can scramble and he has quite often mostly because the pocket folded up on him.

Watchthemiddle
09-20-2007, 12:04 PM
I feel that a big problem inside the 20 is not utilizing the Tight End enough.

How many catches has our TE's had in 2 games? I only can remember ONE to Graham in each game. Other then that, SHeffler has been non-existent and he and CUtler were inseperable last year in the passing game and did well together inside the 20.

I know we have a pretty good passing game with are three headed WR monster, but to add 1 or 2 tight ends into the mix deep in the redzone would make it even more potent.

topscribe
09-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Yep and I also heard the comment from the announcers about it being a real risky play!!!

Yes he can roll out and has quite often.

Yes he can scramble and he has quite often mostly because the pocket folded up on him.
I remember it well . . .

What the color man, who is a QB (Gannon or Simms?--I don't remember), said
was that is a risky play and unadvisable unless the QB has the arm for it and
the receiver is wide open. Then he mentioned that Cutler does have the
arm for it.

In other words, he had nothing but praise for what Cutler did on that
specific play.

-----

Lonestar
09-20-2007, 12:07 PM
I remember it well . . .

the receiver is wide open. In other words, he had nothing but praise for what
Cutler did on that specific play.

-----

Well I did not quite hear that praise that you did. But that is just my lack of compassion I guess.

Astrass
09-20-2007, 12:10 PM

He even did a play this year on the run and threw accross his body probably about 20 yards and right on target. The talking heads were commenting on how that was a no no but a perfect one lol

Watchthemiddle
09-20-2007, 12:11 PM
I remember it well . . .

the receiver is wide open. Then he mentioned that Cutler does have the
arm for it.

In other words, he had nothing but praise for what Cutler did on that
specific play.

-----

I don't MIND seeing him do that kind of stuff or throwing off his back foot if he HAS too. Its a bad habit that he has and has since college. One day its going to come back to bite him in the booty.

So far it has worked, I just don't want to see it happening 5,6,7 times a game if he doesn't have to.

lex
09-20-2007, 12:11 PM

How many catches has our TE's had in 2 games? I only can remember ONE to Graham in each game. Other then that, SHeffler has been non-existent and he and CUtler were inseperable last year in the passing game and did well together inside the 20.

I know we have a pretty good passing game with are three headed WR monster, but to add 1 or 2 tight ends into the mix deep in the redzone would make it even more potent.

Yeah, we definitely need to improve in getting the ball to our TEs. I also agree that we are trying to force too much to Walker. I dont remember our TEs being such a non factor in particular in years that weve had a good team. Its getting ridiculous how unitilized our TEs have become. If they use the TE, they should open up the pass to WRs and the run as well...and weve been completely ignoring the TE. You gotta spread it around more to keep things open.

Watchthemiddle
09-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by sneakers
I can't remember them doing a plummer-like bootleg this year with Jay...I don't know how accurate Jay is throwing the ball while running, because Jake was one of the best at it.

They have done it, but not as much. YOu need the running game to be effective in order for the play-action bootleg to work.

We have seen it to his right, but I haven't seen him rolling left and throwing on the run like Jake used to be a master at. If has rolled left its a big, deep roll and he has set his feet.

Lonestar
09-20-2007, 12:14 PM

I do not remember seeing Scheffler on the field much if at all. I think that pesky broken bone in the foot is still bothering him.

Graham has caught 4 of 5 thrown to him one 1st own and 22 YAC out of 33 total yards. Once he and Scheffler get into sync with Jay it will be good times.

right now Marshall and Stokely seems to be the guys that does more with the chances they are getting. 13.4 YPC and 18 YPC

Astrass
09-20-2007, 01:02 PM
I do not remember seeing Scheffler on the field much if at all. I think that pesky broken bone in the foot is still bothering him.

Graham has caught 4 of 5 thrown to him one 1st own and 22 YAC out of 33 total yards. Once he and Scheffler get into sync with Jay it will be good times.

right now Marshall and Stokely seems to be the guys that does more with the chances they are getting. 13.4 YPC and 18 YPC

Man...Marshall is great after the catch. We need to get him the ball more often.

Lonestar
09-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Man...Marshall is great after the catch. We need to get him the ball more often.

I think the term should be get him the ball where only he can handle it.

He is a scary prospect and between him Walker, Stokely and a couple of the other kids we need not worry about drafting WR for a couple of years.

BTW has anyone heard about Rod and how he is doing? we are approaching week four when I think it is decision time on him coming off the PUP list.

topscribe
09-20-2007, 01:34 PM
I don't MIND seeing him do that kind of stuff or throwing off his back foot if he HAS too. Its a bad habit that he has and has since college. One day its going to come back to bite him in the booty.

So far it has worked, I just don't want to see it happening 5,6,7 times a game if he doesn't have to.
It is something Elway did all his 16 years here. As the color man implied, it is a
very bad, risky thing to do for most quarterbacks . . . except for the ones
with exceptionally strong arms, who can throw accurately. That described
Elway, and it describes Cutler. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Same thing with throwing off his back foot. He can throw with more velocity
off his back foot than most QBs can off their forward feet. So that doesn't
bother me a whole lot, either. If a batter is hitting home runs with a funny
swing, you don't mess with his swing. Same with a QB's methods. He earned
MVP of the SEC with what he brings to us now.

-----

Watchthemiddle
09-20-2007, 01:39 PM
I think the term should be get him the ball where only he can handle it.

He is a scary prospect and between him Walker, Stokely and a couple of the other kids we need not worry about drafting WR for a couple of years.

BTW has anyone heard about Rod and how he is doing? we are approaching week four when I think it is decision time on him coming off the PUP list.

I believe he is on PUP until week 6. THen we will hear something. As bad as it may sound, I really don't see a place for him on this team right now. I wouldn't mind him on it and just his presence alone on the sidelines and locker room are needed, but I don't want him taking up a valuable roster spot if he is not going to perform like we know Rod can do.

Reidman
09-20-2007, 08:18 PM
It is something Elway did all his 16 years here. As the color man implied, it is a

-----

I hate to make comparisons but I think you're right. Cutlers throwing style is kind of Elway-esque. I watched him rifle the ball into Javon (or Marshall, I can't remember) in between 3 defenders!! The thing is the ball was moving so fast it would have been nearly impossible for it to be deflected or intercepted even if they knew it was coming.

And then the play where he rolled out and threw across his body reminded me of Elway also. Each game gets me more excited that we may have found our franchise QB to lead us to the promise land. His decision making needs some fine tuning but that comes with experience.

I also agree that we need to find our TE's more. I always like when the TE pretends to block and then rolls out 5 or 10 yards to the endzone......TOUCHDOWN! Maybe Shannahan is saving the secret weapons and plays for the playoff stretch.

omac
09-20-2007, 08:20 PM

-----

I agree with you, topscribe.

Truth is, if Jay avoided throwing if he wasn't in the perfect stance and situation to throw, then he'd be more of a game manager than a play maker, unless his offensive line gave him superior protection, the way it does Peyton, Brady, or Carson. Jay can make plays in less than ideal situations, and that's just what Denver needs.

omac
09-20-2007, 08:27 PM
I hate to make comparisons but I think you're right. Cutlers throwing style is kind of Elway-esque. I watched him rifle the ball into Javon (or Marshall, I can't remember) in between 3 defenders!! The thing is the ball was moving so fast it would have been nearly impossible for it to be deflected or intercepted even if they knew it was coming.

Yup. And Champ mentioned once that if a QB didn't have the arm to zip the ball, he could recover from a mistake in coverage of the wide receiver. With the way Jay zips the ball, it gives defenders less chances at it.

And then the play where he rolled out and threw across his body reminded me of Elway also. Each game gets me more excited that we may have found our franchise QB to lead us to the promise land. His decision making needs some fine tuning but that comes with experience.

What I do like about his decision making is that he tries to get more yardage than the defense tries to dictate. Sometimes, the defense is playing prevent and will give up short yardage, and he'll attack the defense for longer yardage, forcing them to adjust to him, instead of just taking what the defense gives him.

I also agree that we need to find our TE's more. I always like when the TE pretends to block and then rolls out 5 or 10 yards to the endzone......TOUCHDOWN! Maybe Shannahan is saving the secret weapons and plays for the playoff stretch.

You're probably right about that one. I can't wait till Schefler's in playing shape and starts really contributing. :cheers:

ThunderGirl
09-20-2007, 08:34 PM

I know what you mean. That was a beautiful site today!

TXBRONC
09-20-2007, 10:14 PM
I agree with you, topscribe.

Truth is, if Jay avoided throwing if he wasn't in the perfect stance and situation to throw, then he'd be more of a game manager than a play maker, unless his offensive line gave him superior protection, the way it does Peyton, Brady, or Carson. Jay can make plays in less than ideal situations, and that's just what Denver needs.

I think every team in the League wants that kind of quarterback. It just so happens we are one of the fortunate few to have a quarterback that make kind plays Jay is starting to make.

omac
09-21-2007, 05:01 AM
I think every team in the League wants that kind of quarterback. It just so happens we are one of the fortunate few to have a quarterback that make kind plays Jay is starting to make.

We're fortunate indeed. Ten other teams had a chance at him first. Good thing Shanny didn't show his intentions beforehand, and good thing NFL teams always underestimate quarterbacks who come from weaker, losing football colleges. If he played for USC, he'd be off the board immeidately.