PDA

View Full Version : Your #1 Concern Right Now...

Buff
08-21-2008, 01:52 PM
With cuts looming in the next couple weeks there could be an opportunity to raid someone else's garbage bin in an attempt to shore up a weak position...

So, as you look at the roster right now, what position do you think is in the biggest need of an immediate upgrade?

I think it's between MLB or DT, but I'll go with DT just because we're paper thin there as far as depth is concerned. If either Thomas or Robertson goes down with any sort of injury we're gonna be hurting. I love Ekuban, but I don't love him as a DT. McKinley and Peterson are average at best. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that a DT will be cut that is an immediate upgrade over Peterson.

What do you guys think?

underrated29
08-21-2008, 02:09 PM
I THINK both those postitions as well. And i also agree that DT would be numero uno. I also wouldnt mind a bigger runningback. I just dont like pittman here at all (as a player)- he looks slow and not strong to me.

jrelway
08-21-2008, 02:10 PM
DT, and LB'ers are my concern. my main concern would be guys staying healthy.

honz
08-21-2008, 02:18 PM
MLB and DE. We have pretty decent depth at DE, but I won't really feel comfortable with what we've got until I see someone besides Doom getting after the QB on a consistent basis...hopefully some of our young DLineman will step up this year.

And at MLB I just haven't seen a performance from either Webster or Niko that makes me feel like they can hold down the fort for us.

GEM
08-21-2008, 02:25 PM
This is a long standing concern that STILL has not been addressed. Tackling and blocking on ST.

G_Money
08-21-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm more afraid of someone raiding our bin.

I wanna keep Larsen, Woodyard, Alridge, Lichtensteiger... and I can't guarantee if they hit the waiver line that they'll come back to our practice squad.

I'd like a different MLB but it's not a common thing to try to replace the middle of your D with a waiver player. Our backups of Kou and Larsen are likely as good as you'd get from the cut line, and they already understand the D.

DT I can see us trying to find...but does anybody feel like we know what we need from the position?

We've brought in an absolute TON of players the last few years and none of them have been up to the challenge. I actually like Peterson some, and Thomas has potential. Robertson is the key to the whole thing but I could see us adding a DT.

I just don't know if it'll help more than what we have. We have been massively unsuccessful at figuring out how to make our DL an effective weapon, so at this point I'd almost feel like we'd have to trip over a good DT and add him almost on accident, because our recent planning has been poor.

Still, I like this DL better than last year's, and scheme and effort can cover up for some deficiencies. And I wouldn't MIND adding another DT to the mix.

I think the Broncos will probably pick up another RB, honestly, especially if we try to put Alridge on the PS.

Hillis has been slowed by injury, I doubt Torain plays this year, and Pittman hasn't exactly been impressive. Unless Shanny trusts Hillis more than I think he does, he'll be looking for a bruiser. I like the way Hall runs better than Young (I still expect Young to go down with a knee injury this year because of his plant foot issues) but I wouldn't want to rely on Andre as our short-yardage brute.

And RBs hit the cut line all the time.

Can someone talk Dallas into trying to sneak Choice onto their PS, please?

~G

G_Money
08-21-2008, 02:37 PM
This is a long standing concern that STILL has not been addressed. Tackling and blocking on ST.

I don't think a new ST coach is gonna be cut who can correctly instruct his fellas as to what a wedge is and how to break it.

I wish... :tsk:

Maybe we can promote Royal to ST coach. He played for Beamer, he probably understands it better than anybody who's tried to coach our worthless coverage teams in the last decade.

~G

red98
08-21-2008, 02:39 PM

I wanna keep Larsen, Woodyard, Alridge, Lichtensteiger... and I can't guarantee if they hit the waiver line that they'll come back to our practice squad.

I'd like a different MLB but it's not a common thing to try to replace the middle of your D with a waiver player. Our backups of Kou and Larsen are likely as good as you'd get from the cut line, and they already understand the D.

DT I can see us trying to find...but does anybody feel like we know what we need from the position?

We've brought in an absolute TON of players the last few years and none of them have been up to the challenge. I actually like Peterson some, and Thomas has potential. Robertson is the key to the whole thing but I could see us adding a DT.

I just don't know if it'll help more than what we have. We have been massively unsuccessful at figuring out how to make our DL an effective weapon, so at this point I'd almost feel like we'd have to trip over a good DT and add him almost on accident, because our recent planning has been poor.

Still, I like this DL better than last year's, and scheme and effort can cover up for some deficiencies. And I wouldn't MIND adding another DT to the mix.

I think the Broncos will probably pick up another RB, honestly, especially if we try to put Alridge on the PS.

Hillis has been slowed by injury, I doubt Torain plays this year, and Pittman hasn't exactly been impressive. Unless Shanny trusts Hillis more than I think he does, he'll be looking for a bruiser. I like the way Hall runs better than Young (I still expect Young to go down with a knee injury this year because of his plant foot issues) but I wouldn't want to rely on Andre as our short-yardage brute.

~G

One RB to look out for might be Danny Ware (6'0" 234lbs) from the Giants. There's a slight chance he doesn't make the roster for them.

topscribe
08-21-2008, 02:41 PM
With cuts looming in the next couple weeks there could be an opportunity to raid someone else's garbage bin in an attempt to shore up a weak position...

So, as you look at the roster right now, what position do you think is in the biggest need of an immediate upgrade?

I think it's between MLB or DT, but I'll go with DT just because we're paper thin there as far as depth is concerned. If either Thomas or Robertson goes down with any sort of injury we're gonna be hurting. I love Ekuban, but I don't love him as a DT. McKinley and Peterson are average at best. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that a DT will be cut that is an immediate upgrade over Peterson.

What do you guys think?

I think it would behoove the Broncos to keep a very close eye on the wires.
Just as you, I do not have a lot of confidence in our DTs, past Robertson
and Thomas. I have a sneaking suspicion that Powell may be pretty good,
but he's indisposed as of now, of course.

-----

Buff
08-21-2008, 02:44 PM
One RB to look out for might be Danny Ware (6'0" 234lbs) from the Giants. There's a slight chance he doesn't make the roster for them.

That would be sweet. My buddy who is a giants fan has been raving about him... They've gotta keep Jacobs, Bradshaw and Ward you'd think. I assume they'll cut Droughns and find a spot for Ware, but maybe he'll be banished to the practice squad.

topscribe
08-21-2008, 02:48 PM

~G

None of these guys are safe on the waiver wire. None of them. I would not
be surprised if we lost every single one of them under such circumstances.
The Broncos may have to sacrifice a little bit of now, in the form of keeping
them on the active squad and letting more experienced but mediocre
players go.

-----

red98
08-21-2008, 02:48 PM
That would be sweet. My buddy who is a giants fan has been raving about him... They've gotta keep Jacobs, Bradshaw and Ward you'd think. I assume they'll cut Droughns and find a spot for Ware, but maybe he'll be banished to the practice squad.

Yeah, he put on a show Monday night but I think you're right that they cut Droughns and keep Ware. There's always a chance though!

LRtagger
08-21-2008, 02:55 PM
It's pretty obvious we are weak up the middle on D.

I am a little concerned about WR for the first 2-3 games when Brandon is out.

Overall I think we are in much better shape than we were at this time last season.

BroncoFanatic
08-21-2008, 02:58 PM
I can agree with special teams, MLB, and DE, but how about a reliable backup QB? Ramsey sure isn't it

MHCBill
08-21-2008, 03:10 PM
We need a DT, but more than likely anyone cut won't be better than our starters. The question will be will anyone be cut that's better than our back-ups.

This team wasn't going to be rebuilt in a year, so I'm fine with Niko, Webster, and Larsen at MLB. Next year's draft... MLB or Safety in round one!!!

Offense I'm pretty happy with... could use a "power" back... maybe Ruben can come back. I wouldn't mind him as our "bruiser".

tubby
08-21-2008, 03:13 PM
MLB and RB

hamrob
08-21-2008, 03:16 PM
I think we are weak at MLB & RB. I think the MLB will improve as the season goes on. Both Kou and Webster are serviceable. I think we address this in next year's draft.

I'm not as concerned at DT right now (while we're healthy) because I like Peterson and McKinnley and think they provide solid depth. I'm hoping that the new scheme this year helps us in this regard. Remember, we haven't had a true DT since Pryce...actually we've had alot of scrubs...but outside of last year...we've been very good against the run. Why was that? My guess is that it was the scheme and I'm hoping we're o.k. here.

Now, RB scares the bejeevies out of me. I like Hall the best...but I can't see him doing any real damage. Jay will need to stretch the field to keep the defenses honest. Like our MLB situation...I think Young and Hall are serviceable...but hardly the type of back we'd like to see behind Cutler. Having said that....is there anyone that can help us...that would be a better option then what we have? Perhaps not...but maybe someone gets cut because of salary or we take a gander at Benson. More than likely we address this in next year's draft.

Wild card - Hillis. What can this kid do. I have a feeling we'll find out Friday night.

2009 NFL Draft

Round 1 - MLB/RB
Round 2 - MLB/RB

G_Money
08-21-2008, 03:16 PM
A QB won't know the playbook, Fanatic. As long as he's a veteran WC offense guy he'll have a basic idea of what we do, but if Cutler goes down in the first couple of weeks he'll be even more useless than Ramsey.

I'd rather go with Hackney, scarily enough. He understands the O and seems to have a good head on his shoulders under (admittedly preseason) pressure.

And then I'll cross my fingers and pray that nothing bad happens to Cutler while Hackney tries to become Kubes the 2nd.

~G

DenBronx
08-21-2008, 03:21 PM
mlb is the biggest concern. niko nor webtser have shown that they can handle this tough assignment. mlb is the qb of the defense and if we think we can get to the playoffs with nate freakin webster then were in for a rude awakening.

on the other side of the ball id say rb. torain should go on pup or ir for the year and i think that gives alridge a chance to make the team. pittman i think will get cut so that leaves hall and young. our type of offense really needs a running game to help open up the playbook. if we can get a solid running game going the that also opens up a deadly bootleg option. this forces defenses to stay on their heels. but i see hall and young more so like scat backs a.k.a. the tatum bell movement. we are lacking that solid workhorse running back that takes 3 or 4 guys to bring down. the kind of back that once were in the red zone there is no question that he wont power his way in.

our only options are to watch the wires, take a risk with what we currently have or consider some free agents that might be considered past their prime.

turftoad
08-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Nobody has mentioned saftey yet.

Lets see, we're starting two journeymen and have no vet depth. That worries me the most.
I think if someone drops a vet that we would go after them.

Benetto
08-21-2008, 04:06 PM
My top concern is the health of our players...And the RB situation...

broncos9697
08-21-2008, 04:08 PM
This might sound a bit crazy but I am really worried about our running game ya we have 3 young up coming stars ''maybe''...But I have not seen much from them as of yet, young yes but it has fallen off this off-season..they are very small but fast we''ll just half to wait and see..

broncos9697
08-21-2008, 04:10 PM
players go.

-----

how about T. bell the lions will release him I know he was once a bronco but he is a stud with the power and the moves,is there a chanch maybe he could come back let me know what you think about that..

topscribe
08-21-2008, 04:28 PM
how about T. bell the lions will release him I know he was once a bronco but he is a stud with the power and the moves,is there a chanch maybe he could come back let me know what you think about that..

I don't know . . . I think we have two of his type already. Tater is about the
same size as Young and Hall, and Hall is approximately as fast and may be
even a bit more powerful.

What I might be tempted to do, if I had the reins (shudder), would be to try
Hillis at RB and see if he could develop into a Bettis/Alstott/Riggins type. It
can open up a lot of the rest of the field if you have three or four of the
defense with an eye out for the RB because it takes that many to tackle
him.

Just a thought . . .

-----

LRtagger
08-21-2008, 04:31 PM
we would be a fierce offense with an Alstott type guy in the backfield

G_Money
08-21-2008, 04:33 PM
I want to see Hillis get carries. I'm hoping that happens in the next couple of weeks so we can at least SEE it.

I don't know if he can hang on to the ball with extended carries. He didn't fumble a lot in college from what I remember, but he did lay one on the ground in the bowl game IIRC. His zero fumbles listed by his college stats is obviously incorrect. If he can't hang on to the ball, he can't run for us.

But I'd like to see him prove he CAN keep control of the rock, because I think blocking, receiving or running he can be a weapon for us.

And we need as many weapons as we can get, especially the bigger kind.

~G

Requiem / The Dagda
08-21-2008, 04:38 PM
We might have to do a few, "Oh, Greg Eslinger -- your shoulder hurts. IR time!" -- with some of these players.

Ziggy
08-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Pass rush, pass rush, and pass rush. We need some DE's that can play the run AND get to the QB. I think the DT's are in better shape this season, but still see no signs of a pass rush out of the dline as a whole. Different year, same problem.

Skinny
08-21-2008, 05:04 PM
The D-line, the MLB position, and Matt Prater.

DenBronx
08-21-2008, 05:18 PM
We might have to do a few, "Oh, Greg Eslinger -- your shoulder hurts. IR time!" -- with some of these players.

the bad thing about that is they cant practice with the team can they? so if they are rookies this year then next year they are no closer than they are this year. id like alot of these key rookies to actually make the team and cut some dead weight from our 6 te's or somewhere else.

powell and torain are heading to ir anyway. nalen might call it quits too.

GEM
08-21-2008, 05:34 PM

If we let one of our youngens go to the wire to get T Bell in here, I'm going to beat something badly.

topscribe
08-21-2008, 05:44 PM
The D-line, the MLB position, and Matt Prater.

:confused: A can-Prater movement is already starting??

-----

topscribe
08-21-2008, 05:45 PM
If we let one of our youngens go to the wire to get T Bell in here, I'm going to beat something badly.

Well, dear, I did want to be near you, but now . . .

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
08-21-2008, 05:45 PM
I've been thinking about Torain and whether he'll hit IR. It's been a little over two weeks since he's been out, and it's three weeks until our first game. At the most, he was expect to be out three months. It's quite possible that he'd be ready to go by fourth week of the season if everything progressed well. IIRC, he stated in his blog he's start cardiovascular work soon and will continue keep working on the playbook. [Just had a doctor's appointment today, according to his blog.]

He'll probably be PUP'd or something like that. If there's a shot he can beat the PUP date before being delcared inactive for the year, I think we go that route. Not that we don't have capable backs right now; but Torain's still a young guy, just a few days past 22 and can be shut down if need be. I'd like to see him play this year, but perhaps placing him on IR is the best idea. Who knows?

I'm not a doctor, but I'd be stoked if we read before our main game on September 8th, that'd he'd be ready to go come October.

topscribe
08-21-2008, 05:51 PM
I've been thinking about Torain and whether he'll hit IR. It's been a little over two weeks since he's been out, and it's three weeks until our first game. At the most, he was expect to be out three months. It's quite possible that he'd be ready to go by fourth week of the season if everything progressed well. IIRC, he stated in his blog he's start cardiovascular work soon and will continue keep working on the playbook. [Just had a doctor's appointment today, according to his blog.]

He'll probably be PUP'd or something like that. If there's a shot he can beat the PUP date before being delcared inactive for the year, I think we go that route. Not that we don't have capable backs right now; but Torain's still a young guy, just a few days past 22 and can be shut down if need be. I'd like to see him play this year, but perhaps placing him on IR is the best idea. Who knows?

I'm not a doctor, but I'd be stoked if we read before our main game on September 8th, that'd he'd be ready to go come October.

Good catch. I have a sneaking hunch we all (including me) were thinking
three months out of the regular season. But by the time the first game is
played, half that time will be gone, as you indicated. Man, wouldn't that
be a gas?? http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/throckon.gif

-----

honz
08-21-2008, 05:54 PM
I heard somewhere that the hope is that he will be back around the time of our bye week. I forget when our bye week is, but I wanna say it is week 6 or so...?

Tebow4Ever
08-21-2008, 05:57 PM
This might sound a bit crazy but I am really worried about our running game ya we have 3 young up coming stars ''maybe''...But I have not seen much from them as of yet, young yes but it has fallen off this off-season..they are very small but fast we''ll just half to wait and see..

How has Young "Fallen Off"?...He's seen limited time in two pre-season games. Im confused as to how he has fallen off....

GEM
08-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Well, dear, I did want to be near you, but now . . .

-----

:laugh:

I am really against bringing either Bell back. They didn't work out the first time around for a reason. Let our youngsters get it done.

Just the thought made my stomach turn.

Skinny
08-21-2008, 06:02 PM
:confused: A can-Prater movement is already starting??

-----Nope. Just a concern. ;)

topscribe
08-21-2008, 06:09 PM
:laugh:

I am really against bringing either Bell back. They didn't work out the first time around for a reason. Let our youngsters get it done.

Just the thought made my stomach turn.

Of my being near you?? http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thhuh.gif

:D I know what you mean. I don't want anybody here to go in favor of Tater, that's for sure . . .

-----

Hobe
08-21-2008, 06:19 PM
I am still nervous about the pass rush. I know we are not showing any "special stuff" on defense in the preseason, but even with Champ, Bly, and Foxy at the corners we could very easily end up in a bunch "track meet" games. Track meets give me heartburn! Ya I know about the running backs in our division, but how much will they be running if Cutler, Marshall, Royal, and Shockley put us up by 14 points in the first quarter?

LoyalSoldier
08-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Oh we could always just sign Sam Adams again....DEAR GOD WHAT AM I SAYING!

Slick
08-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Some good posts here. It's the middle of the D for me. I never expected us to fill all the holes we had in one off season, but I'd love a veteran MLB or another wide body on the D-line. Top is the only one that mentioned Carlton Powell. I was excited to see him this preseason. Someone who could take the pressure off Robertson, tie up a guard or center at least. I hate that he's out.

A healthy Cutler will probably be the biggest improvement for the O. He's looked pretty solid so far.

Losing Elam hurts a little, but it had to happen at some point. I think our special teams will be better, it can't get much worse than last year.

Mike
08-21-2008, 06:25 PM
I have liked what I have seen out of the run defense. I think that while nothing to get excited about, our LBs are serviceable. I think RBs are iffy, but I think the combo of Hall and Young with a dash of Alridge (in that order ;)) will be fine. Going from the preseason (which isn't all that safe with Shanny as the coach), I think that the Broncos will pass more to establish the run this year.

My main concern is the pass rush...or lack thereof.

omac
08-21-2008, 06:50 PM
players go.

-----

Yeah, I'm for that too, even if that could hurt us this season. Like G_Money says, we could lose some real good prospects while trying to get them in the PS.

If we were to pick up someone, I'd lean towards DT. I expect our RBs to look better when the newer guys on the OL really learn to zone-block.

BigDaddyBronco
08-21-2008, 07:00 PM
I am concerned about the whole defense (well other than CB's), but I don't think that is a one year project. It should take several years for the defense to get better.

What I'm really worried about is the OLine. We have some good older players that have gone through injuries lately and are at the end of their careers, some young promising players that can be really good one day, but we don't have any consistency from last year. They have looked ok in preseason, but the regular season is a different story with much more exotic blitz packages.

Can they keep Cutler healthy? If Cutler goes down for more than a game or two the season is over. Do they have enough size now to pound the ball into the endzone in the redzone?

The OLine has to be dominate again if the Offense is going to be a powerhouse. We can only score so much through trickery, Brandon Marshall being bad-ass, and Champ returning INT's.

red98
08-21-2008, 07:35 PM

He cannot be PUPd, he is not eligible. He is either IR'd or on the roster. Right now he is due back week 8, our bye week. I too would like to see him play this year. He will be able to participate in practices and team meetings the whole time and he can be worked into the offense a few carries each game when he gets back.

G_Money
08-21-2008, 07:42 PM

I just worry with an arm injury like that about his ball security and arm strength once he does come back. It's his left arm so it should be his off-hand, but I don't want to see him rush to come back only to have every idiot on the opposing team ripping at his arm because they know it's weaker.

Since that arm is gonna be somewhat atrophied with him not being able to work out with it, I mean. The last thing he needs is to rush back and have more issues with injury or confidence because of that injury. If you like the kid, let him heal.

I don't expect or really want to see him this year. It's damn unfortunate, but them's the breaks.

It's possible we could put him on the PUP and then activate him after Week 6, but my guess would be that would only happen if he a) makes a crazy-good recovery and b) we need him due to other injuries. If Selvin, Andre, Peyton, Anthony, Mike and Cecil are still mostly alive in October, then I don't expect to see Torain. From PUP to IR and then we'll catch up with him next summer, after Shanny uses him as an excuse not to take a first-day RB in the 09 draft.

*shrugs* but what do I know? Mike and his running back usage and choices have never exactly met my expectations. :coffee:

~G

Edit: and if we've missed the PUP, then I REALLY expect him to be IRed before the season.

red98
08-21-2008, 08:07 PM
I just worry with an arm injury like that about his ball security and arm strength once he does come back. It's his left arm so it should be his off-hand, but I don't want to see him rush to come back only to have every idiot on the opposing team ripping at his arm because they know it's weaker.

Since that arm is gonna be somewhat atrophied with him not being able to work out with it, I mean. The last thing he needs is to rush back and have more issues with injury or confidence because of that injury. If you like the kid, let him heal.

I don't expect or really want to see him this year. It's damn unfortunate, but them's the breaks.

It's possible we could put him on the PUP and then activate him after Week 6, but my guess would be that would only happen if he a) makes a crazy-good recovery and b) we need him due to other injuries. If Selvin, Andre, Peyton, Anthony, Mike and Cecil are still mostly alive in October, then I don't expect to see Torain. From PUP to IR and then we'll catch up with him next summer, after Shanny uses him as an excuse not to take a first-day RB in the 09 draft.

*shrugs* but what do I know? Mike and his running back usage and choices have never exactly met my expectations. :coffee:

~G

Edit: and if we've missed the PUP, then I REALLY expect him to be IRed before the season.

This may change things:

"Torain was told by his doctor on Thursday the elbow is healing better than he expected, Torain's agent Troy Asmus, said. As a result, Torain may miss significantly less time. The target date for Torain's return is Oct. 20, a Monday night game at New England."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3547584

G_Money
08-21-2008, 08:22 PM
That's terrific news for him - and us. They were saying November before that, so I'm glad for him that he might be able to stay on the active roster.

But that means somebody else can't. We cutting Sapp or Pittman then?

The cuts this year are gonna be really interesting. I expect to say "Nooooooo" more than once, and then pray that Players X, Y and Z make it to the Practice Squad.

~G

Requiem / The Dagda
08-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Nate Jackson, G. Say it with me, Nate Jackson. Keep an extra back, cut that turd loose.

honz
08-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Nate Jackson, G. Say it with me, Nate Jackson. Keep an extra back, cut that turd loose.
I'm with you on that one, but there is no way that Shanny cuts him now that he is actually healthy and performing well in camp and preseason games.

G_Money
08-21-2008, 08:37 PM
If we did that we'd have to bring back The Mustard, and I don't think anybody wants to see that.

~G

red98
08-21-2008, 08:38 PM

I heard Shanny had a Nate Jackson wing built into his new home. I don't think he's gonna cut him.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-21-2008, 08:44 PM
I heard Shanny had a Nate Jackson wing built into his new home. I don't think he's gonna cut him.

*shivers* This could drive me back to drug abuse.

weazel
08-21-2008, 09:17 PM
I think the middle of the defense is a weak marshmallow. If anyone of any value hits the wire, the Broncos should grab him, becausee this DL is still among the worst in the league and our MLB is a special teamer on any other team.

Im not looking forward to watching this team give up 400 yards a game rushing this season.

red98
08-21-2008, 09:29 PM
I think the middle of the defense is a weak marshmallow. If anyone of any value hits the wire, the Broncos should grab him, becausee this DL is still among the worst in the league and our MLB is a special teamer on any other team.

Im not looking forward to watching this team give up 400 yards a game rushing this season.

I'm concerned about the soft creamy middle of the D-line myself, I just don't see any immediate impact players being available on the waiver wire.

I think we'll probably being going with what we've got in the front 7.

ChampWJ
08-21-2008, 10:08 PM
I just woke up from a really bad dream where we had two undrafted free agent running backs carrying the load for our team. We couldn't grind down the game with a lead, and couldn't establish any kind of consistency to set up the pass or score in the red zone.

Thank God it was only a dream. :ahhhhh:

ktrain
08-21-2008, 11:05 PM

What do you guys think?

I actually like our DT's quite a bit. Peterson, McKinley & Mallard are pretty decent for depth, and Robertson/Thomas I think will be beasts!!!!!!

I actually am most concerned about our DE's, we have Engleberger and Doom starting, and neither are every-down players IMO. Moss & Crowder have been very disappointing so far this pre-season so I think we are weak there.

The other place I think we could really use some help is back-up QB. If Cutler goes down, we are in deep shit!!!!!!

I am not actually all that concerned about LB. I think our LB's will be solid but not spectacular in this defense, which given the excellent DT and DB play I expect, will lead us to a serviceable defense.....provided we get some pressure form the DE's without blitzing every down.

topscribe
08-22-2008, 12:21 AM
I actually like our DT's quite a bit. Peterson, McKinley & Mallard are pretty decent for depth, and Robertson/Thomas I think will be beasts!!!!!!

I actually am most concerned about our DE's, we have Engleberger and Doom starting, and neither are every-down players IMO. Moss & Crowder have been very disappointing so far this pre-season so I think we are weak there.

The other place I think we could really use some help is back-up QB. If Cutler goes down, we are in deep shit!!!!!!

I am not actually all that concerned about LB. I think our LB's will be solid but not spectacular in this defense, which given the excellent DT and DB play I expect, will lead us to a serviceable defense.....provided we get some pressure form the DE's without blitzing every down.

Well, if Robertson and Thomas turn out to be the beasts we expect them
to be, that may make the backups better players because they will be
coming in fresher.

Regarding the DEs, I believe Crowder will step up. He did last year when
the chips were down and did a pretty good job for a rookie. And you forgot
about Ekuban, who is working himself back into football shape.

-----

Stargazer
08-22-2008, 12:23 AM
For a team that has a reputation of running the football I find it bazarre Denver will head into the season with the possibility of two undrafted FA's, a journeymen RB, a possible college FA in Aldrige, 7th round pick Hillis, and Sapp who is another college free agent back in 2003.

The Broncos like to run the football under Shanahan, but seriously what is this?.?

And the usual DL and MIKE.

topscribe
08-22-2008, 12:25 AM
If we did that we'd have to bring back The Mustard, and I don't think anybody wants to see that.

~G

Why not? Mustard is actually a very good blocker. I would have no problem
with a corps of Graham, Scheffler, Jackson, and Mustard: two good blockers
and two good receivers. (Of course, Leach is listed as a TE, but that is
because there is no official provision for snapper.)

-----

G_Money
08-22-2008, 12:42 AM
It has to be Mustard OR Nate Jackson.

We can't carry 5 TEs (with Leach) and still be stuffing our roster full of those contributing rooks and young players.

If we're carrying Jackson, that means a) Scheff is injured again or b) we're trying to make sure that if he GETS injured we still have all our TE-passing-weapon packages intact.

If we're carrying Mustard it means Graham is having physical problems or we might need TWO blocking TEs in max-protect packages, which would only happen if our OTs suck terribly AND our FB can't cut it.

I'd rather carry Jackson with the implications that Scheff's health can't be trusted and we don't want to take those plays out of the playbook, instead of carrying Mustard and seeing that as an indictment of our inexperienced OL bookends and their inability to keep Cutler breathing without TE crutches.

~G

topscribe
08-22-2008, 12:47 AM
It has to be Mustard OR Nate Jackson.

We can't carry 5 TEs (with Leach) and still be stuffing our roster full of those contributing rooks and young players.

If we're carrying Jackson, that means a) Scheff is injured again or b) we're trying to make sure that if he GETS injured we still have all our TE-passing-weapon packages intact.

If we're carrying Mustard it means Graham is having physical problems or we might need TWO blocking TEs in max-protect packages, which would only happen if our OTs suck terribly AND our FB can't cut it.

I'd rather carry Jackson with the implications that Scheff's health can't be trusted and we don't want to take those plays out of the playbook, instead of carrying Mustard and seeing that as an indictment of our inexperienced OL bookends and their inability to keep Cutler breathing without TE crutches.

~G

That's why I mentioned Leach. He's a TE in name only so he can be kept
as a snapper. They could call him a FB or a LB . . . whatever. But he is not
a viable backup at TE. And three TEs comprise a pretty shallow corps,
don't they?

-----

G_Money
08-22-2008, 12:55 AM
*shrugs* Nate missed all last year, and they only carried Scheff, Graham and Mustard IIRC - and kept cutting Mustard.

Three can be done. If for some reason all our TEs go down, well, move Hillis to TE. Or Marshall.

Marshall might be bigger than Nate Jackson anyway.

~G

topscribe
08-22-2008, 01:02 AM
*shrugs* Nate missed all last year, and they only carried Scheff, Graham and Mustard IIRC - and kept cutting Mustard.

Three can be done. If for some reason all our TEs go down, well, move Hillis to TE. Or Marshall.

Marshall might be bigger than Nate Jackson anyway.

~G

Marshall to TE? You would move one of the league's best playmakers at WR to TE?

Haven't gotten much rest lately, G? :shocked:

Anyway, much as I'm a Nate Jackson fan, I would be more inclined to keep
the blocker since the Broncos have a full bevy of receivers now, and
Graham is a competent receiver himself. But when you put two TEs in on a
4th & 1 or a first down on the 6-yard line, you want blockers, right?

-----

G_Money
08-22-2008, 01:09 AM
Sharpe was one of the most dangerous playmakers in the league - from the TE position. I don't mind moving Marshall there for a game. If it's an emergency.

If we need a TE on 1st and goal from the 6 and something happens to Graham, then you call Polumbus a TE and stuff him in.

I can find blockers in an emergency.

Graham can't run the plays that Scheff runs as a TE. He can catch, but he can't catch THOSE routes. So if we choose to keep Nate Jackson, I can understand it.

But I wouldn't want all those TEs at the expense of Alridge or somebody.

Just sayin - maybe it won't be anything to worry about, and we'll keep em all AND all the guys I'm worried about losin'.

~G

topscribe
08-22-2008, 01:14 AM
Sharpe was one of the most dangerous playmakers in the league - from the TE position. I don't mind moving Marshall there for a game. If it's an emergency.

If we need a TE on 1st and goal from the 6 and something happens to Graham, then you call Polumbus a TE and stuff him in.

I can find blockers in an emergency.

Graham can't run the plays that Scheff runs as a TE. He can catch, but he can't catch THOSE routes. So if we choose to keep Nate Jackson, I can understand it.

But I wouldn't want all those TEs at the expense of Alridge or somebody.

Just sayin - maybe it won't be anything to worry about, and we'll keep em all AND all the guys I'm worried about losin'.

~G

I don't believe we are disagreeing here. I think we're just apples & oranges.

You're right about finding blockers and Graham's not being near the receiver
that Scheffler is. I wouldn't mess with BMarsh. Other than that, I'm with
you, except for the Alridge thing. I like Alridge, but with Hall and Fast
Eddie aboard, I believe Alridge is more of a luxury than some other positions.
But I could be wrong . . .

-----

Superchop 7
08-22-2008, 01:56 AM
My biggest concerns are an interior runner and a playmaking MLB.

My move would be as follows.

Pickup Jehuu Caulcrick as a FB/Goal line RB, at 6"0" 255 LBS, he is an "animal" and actually clears up a roster spot for Alridge. (Hillis and Caulcrick at FB) F=MA.

I see no option other than putting DJ back at MLB, I think Woodyard and Boss can play the outside.

G_Money
08-22-2008, 01:58 AM
I agree, I think we're just talking past each other.

But I guess I like luxuries. I see the assembled talent on teams like SD and NE on the one hand, and on the other hand I hear Lane Kiffin talking about how he wishes he was able to bring in some more talent to challenge his non-performers in Chokeland because they don't belong on his roster.

I want to be more on the SD/NE side of the talent scale.

We're not winning a title because Chad Mustard was saved for next year.

I could see Polumbus as a massive road grater killing everything in his path and busting open a hole for Alridge in the playoffs in 2011, though. Or Lichtensteiger for Torain. Or Woodyard breaking up a critical 4th down play a la Mobley. There's talent lurking around this team, the sort of young talent that flashed brightly in the '06 draft but was noticeably absent in the previous 5 years of the draft.

Shanahan was massively, MASSIVELY incorrect last year in his estimation of the talent on the team.

I don't want us to be that wrong ever again. Our SB teams were packed to the gills with talent on every side of the ball. I want that luxury again, and it starts with not letting future contributors get away because we're worried about current redundancy.

~G