PDA

View Full Version : Broncos fans losing enthusiasm for team

Jake Klug
11-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Here is an excerpt from the Woody Paige article linked below. I thought Id pass this on.

Blackouts and Accidental Tourists. There is not much enthusiasm in San Diego for the game, which just sold out to avoid a local blackout. The Broncos returned tickets, which means their fans, unlike in the old days when thousands would travel to SoCal, aren't interested.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16676367

NightTrainLayne
11-22-2010, 11:37 AM
So, if I understand this right. .. the Chargers barely avoid a blacked out MNF game, but WE'RE the fans who have lost our enthusiasm? Okey-dokey.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-22-2010, 11:39 AM
And, it has nothing to do with the economy, with this being Thanksgiving week, etc. etc. :rolleyes:

LRtagger
11-22-2010, 11:43 AM
So, if I understand this right. .. the Chargers barely avoid a blacked out MNF game, but WE'RE the fans who have lost our enthusiasm? Okey-dokey.

Exactly.

Yet thousands of Broncos fans are expected to take one or two days off work from a 3 day work week to travel to SoCal.

Perhaps if this was not a MNF game, fans would be more inclined to travel several hours from home.

Woody is a douche.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-22-2010, 11:45 AM
KC returned 350 tickets for last week's game here - and you never heard a word about the Broncos' scrambling to sell them to avoid a blackout

Day1BroncoFan
11-22-2010, 11:47 AM
You can't blame the Broncos fan for this no matter how you spin it. :nod:

Nomad
11-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Why would I spend all that money when it's a nationally televised game and I could sit at home with family and/or friends and as Carol said during the week of Thanksgiving which is the most PITA week to travel!! I would buy this excuse but if people are boycotting when they have tickets/season tickets then I say it's lame as a fan especially when games are in Denver!!

honz
11-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Why would I spend all that money when it's a nationally televised game and I could sit at home with family and/or friends and as Carol said during the week of Thanksgiving which is the most PITA week to travel!! I would buy this excuse but if people are boycotting when they have tickets/season tickets then I say it's lame as a fan especially when games are in Denver!!
Exactly. The TV broadcasts are so good now that it almost makes going to the game obsolete...especially when you'd have to miss work and pay to travel.

UrbanBounca
11-22-2010, 12:22 PM
I'll say that I, as a Broncos fan, have lost enthusiasm for the season. The Broncos are a lost cause, and if you can't see it, you're choosing to be blind.

Don't get me wrong, I'll continue watching the games, but if they're not aired in my area, I'm not going to be going through hell to find a stream or listen over 850.

BCJ
11-22-2010, 12:32 PM
I'll say that I, as a Broncos fan, have lost enthusiasm for the season. The Broncos are a lost cause, and if you can't see it, you're choosing to be blind.

Don't get me wrong, I'll continue watching the games, but if they're not aired in my area, I'm not going to be going through hell to find a stream or listen over 850.

I wouldnt go around bragging about this bandwagon boy.
Woody is getting old and therefore meanness comes out. As a Denver writer, he should be bagging on the Chargers not selling out a MNF game yet he wants to blame the Broncos. Here is a scoop for him. Plaza level (lower bowl) are $98 face value or $21 more than 100 level at Denver. The game is on a work day. Add that this game is during Thanksgiving week which is top two in travel so the price of tickets are sky high. I also hear we are in one shitty economy scene right now. I will be there but unlike Urbanbounca, I go every year regardless of how my team is performing. I know there are people like him, I just didnt think they spoke out loud on a Broncos Forum where many of the diehards go. Look for the #73 Fletcher Jersey!

LRtagger
11-22-2010, 12:44 PM

Glad to have you on board as a fan :salute:

slim
11-22-2010, 12:49 PM

Not to mention the sexual harassment you would have to endure just to make it to socal :shocked:

I love the Broncos, but I'm not sure I am willing endure a colonoscopy just to watch them play.

NightTrainLayne
11-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Not to mention the sexual harassment you would have to endure just to make it to socal :shocked:

I love the Broncos, but I'm not sure I am willing endure a colonoscopy just to watch them play.

I would let them juggle my junk if I knew for sure the Broncos would win.

T.K.O.
11-22-2010, 01:18 PM
well, the wild card window got slammed shut yesterday! not LOCKED but closed tightly.
the broncos only shot at the post season appears to be via winning the west.
luckily the division is not lighting up.
KC is much improved but hardly seem like a 11-5 or 10-6 team.
that being said,the broncos have an opportunity to climb back into contention with wins over SD,oak and kc.
i know many will think it's good ol' fashion blind homerism.but i for one am excited to see if this team has the "stuff" to at least keep it interesting down the stretch.
i mean we have been in a playoff draught for a while now.so i like to look at the remaining div. games as "our playoffs" and it really started last week.
if we can go to SD and pick up a W...that's back to back div wins.
and a HUGE boost to the teams confidence.
is it likely tyhe broncos will win the west?.....uh NO
is it still possible ?.....hell yes !
and i will be watching every game on the edge of my seat until....
a)the season is over
b)the broncos move to canada
c)i die:salute:

slim
11-22-2010, 01:33 PM
I would let them juggle my junk if I knew for sure the Broncos would win.

It would take the hands of a giant to juggle your junk.

rcsodak
11-22-2010, 01:39 PM

And yet you'll post here during the week when I'm sure you could find something better to do with your time? :lol:

Is that not rich. :D

arapaho2
11-22-2010, 01:43 PM
where this seems to bend some people out of shape

i just put it that what he's saying is...before all this drama...this dreadful games..this 3-6 record...bronco fans represented the team regardless of where they played

now it seems that alot dont wanna invest all that money they probably would have if we had a 6-3 record

spending alot of money to watch a game we have a high probability of getting beat down in ....isnt high on the list of things to do this week

no biggie

UrbanBounca
11-22-2010, 02:08 PM
I wouldnt go around bragging about this bandwagon boy.
Woody is getting old and therefore meanness comes out. As a Denver writer, he should be bagging on the Chargers not selling out a MNF game yet he wants to blame the Broncos. Here is a scoop for him. Plaza level (lower bowl) are $98 face value or $21 more than 100 level at Denver. The game is on a work day. Add that this game is during Thanksgiving week which is top two in travel so the price of tickets are sky high. I also hear we are in one shitty economy scene right now. I will be there but unlike Urbanbounca, I go every year regardless of how my team is performing. I know there are people like him, I just didnt think they spoke out loud on a Broncos Forum where many of the diehards go. Look for the #73 Fletcher Jersey!

So, I'm a bandwagon fan because I've already faced the fact this is a lost season? I've been a fan for years, but being on the East coast, that games are rarely aired here. I go through hell each Sunday to find a stream, or listen to three hours worth of 850.

That said, you can say what you please. As far as I knew, a bandwagon fan runs from winning team to winning team. I haven't done that, and I don't root for other teams, unless they're playing the Chargers or Raiders.

Frankly, I'm tired of being called a bandwagon fan because I recognize the Denver Broncos are a lost cause this season. That doesn't mean I'm jumping on with another team, just that I realize our team sucks ass this year.

BroncoTech
11-22-2010, 02:25 PM
I can say I've lost enthusiasm for the Broncos but not interest. I'll catch a stream each week because it's rather easy, I haven't missed a game in years. I can say the NFL took some of the enthusiasm out by putting these weekday games on cable TV only.

I sort of think tonight's game is pivotal, we've seen some of these other 2 and 3 win teams fire their head coach and a blow out could mean Josh's head. I have to think Cincy and Denver have coaches on the hot seat.

Jake Klug
11-22-2010, 03:01 PM
So, I'm a bandwagon fan because I've already faced the fact this is a lost season? I've been a fan for years, but being on the East coast, that games are rarely aired here. I go through hell each Sunday to find a stream, or listen to three hours worth of 850.

That said, you can say what you please. As far as I knew, a bandwagon fan runs from winning team to winning team. I haven't done that, and I don't root for other teams, unless they're playing the Chargers or Raiders.

Frankly, I'm tired of being called a bandwagon fan because I recognize the Denver Broncos are a lost cause this season. That doesn't mean I'm jumping on with another team, just that I realize our team sucks ass this year.

Youre not a bandwagon fan. If you were, you wouldnt even still be posting here. Youd be finding some other team to bandwagon with.

If anything, youre probably a masochist.

A lot of people like to act upset because youre not like they are and they play the fan card too easily.

T.K.O.
11-22-2010, 03:34 PM
it sucks to be 3-6 but you gotta admit...it makes this game a huge "must win" and alot of fun for november:elefant::beer::shocked:
how sweet would it be to beat the bolts in their house 2 years running?
and move them to 0-3 in the division ?
i'm enthused !!!!:defense:

tomjonesrocks
11-22-2010, 03:48 PM
I totally agree with posts castigating the article, but I have to admit the article does apply to me.

2 years ago there's nothing that would have kept me from attending this game (I live in San Diego) but tonight I decided to pass and it wasn't even a tough debate. Part of it is the money/economy, part of it is having to watch so many one-sided ass-kickings in the Lion's Den in recent years -- but part of it is in fact a lack of enthusiasm. Since McDaniels came on it's just been different for me so I'd have to admit the article rings true.

I'm truly envious of those whose enthusiasm hasn't been affected by the fiasco that is McDaniels--I wish I could say the same.

rationalfan
11-22-2010, 04:40 PM
i'm a broncos fan and i've lost enthusiasm for these "sky is falling" threads.

normally i want the broncos to win because i like the team, but now i want the team to win out the rest of the season just so people stop trying to find "revelations" in every single thing involving the broncos.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-22-2010, 04:48 PM
i'm a broncos fan and i've lost enthusiasm for these "sky is falling" threads.

normally i want the broncos to win because i like the team, but now i want the team to win out the rest of the season just so people stop trying to find "revelations" in every single thing involving the broncos.

POST OF THE DAY :salute:

TXBRONC
11-22-2010, 05:38 PM
It would take the hands of a giant to juggle your junk.

Do you know this from personal experience with his junk? :shocked:

Bosco
11-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Well this little jihad of a thread fell flat on it's face.

UrbanBounca
11-23-2010, 02:46 AM
The ass beating we just received is even more reason to lose enthusiasm for this pathetic season. McD has to go.

horsepig
11-23-2010, 04:16 AM
Why does eveybody on here seem to hate Paige?

This fat ******* cracker has been doing a great job covering our local teams for 25/ dare I s40 years now. I love his take, Good Lord, find something else to bitch about besides Woody.

Jake Klug
11-23-2010, 06:19 AM
Well this little jihad of a thread fell flat on it's face.

LOL. Its funny how quickly it goes from falling on its face to being prophetic.

Tned
11-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Fact is that fans have lost enthusiasm for the Broncos. It doesn't mean that diehard fans have turned to the Patriots or Pitt or whoever, but instead they just aren't as in years past.

I don't think it has anything to do with being a bandwagon fan (there hasn't been much bandwagon to be on for years), but instead some fans being emotionally drained and needing a mental break. So, they still love their Broncos, but realize that it's going to take some time to right the ship, so they spend less time posting on forums or calling talk radio; maybe don't make the same sacrifices to get to a away game; sell more of their home games on stufhub; etc.

While it's never happened to me with the Broncos, In three+ decades of being a Mets fan and many heart breaks, every once in a while I need to take a bit of a mental break and don't hyperfocus on them as much as other times.

Dreadnought
11-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Fact is that fans have lost enthusiasm for the Broncos. It doesn't mean that diehard fans have turned to the Patriots or Pitt or whoever, but instead they just aren't as in years past.

I don't think it has anything to do with being a bandwagon fan (there hasn't been much bandwagon to be on for years), but instead some fans being emotionally drained and needing a mental break. So, they still love their Broncos, but realize that it's going to take some time to right the ship, so they spend less time posting on forums or calling talk radio; maybe don't make the same sacrifices to get to a away game; sell more of their home games on stufhub; etc.

While it's never happened to me with the Broncos, In three+ decades of being a Mets fan and many heart breaks, every once in a while I need to take a bit of a mental break and don't hyperfocus on them as much as other times.

I hate football Sundays now. I used to live for the season, but now (like a Tight End we once unceremoniously dumped) I can't wait for the season to end. Except with McDaniels at the helm we will likely get more off season soap operas, ineptitude, and drama to extend the misery to a nearly year round basis.

I'm not going to root for another team. I've rooted for Orange and Blue since the 60's. I can't not care about the Broncos - but dammit we deserve better than this.

In-com-plete
11-23-2010, 11:04 AM
My enthusiasm has been going down since '06 when we drafted Cutler instead of Ngata. It's taken hits when we benched Plummer and gave up on that '06 season, when we hired this . . . . . "coach" of ours, when we traded Cutler, and over the last 20 games and every good player that we've traded away, my enthusiasm has slowly but surely vanished.

I actually fell asleep at halftime last night. Woke up at 35-7 and was amazed it wasn't worse than that. I woke up early this morning and watched what I missed. Why, I don't know. I guess because I've seen every play since mid/late in the '00 season.

But this team is ******* awful! Period. And it's impossible for me to get excited about an awful team with a shitty coach that's giving away players and draft picks and drafting guys way to early and getting blown out by two division opponents. The day I'm enthused about that . . . is the day I swallow a bullet. Meaning, it ain't gonna happen.

I did enjoy that KC game though. That game was like a conjucal visit. It was great while it lasted but I'm still in jail.

Jake Klug
11-23-2010, 11:09 AM
My enthusiasm has been going down since '06 when we drafted Cutler instead of Ngata. It's taken hits when we benched Plummer and gave up on that '06 season, when we hired this . . . . . "coach" of ours, when we traded Cutler, and over the last 20 games and every good player that we've traded away, my enthusiasm has slowly but surely vanished.

I actually fell asleep at halftime last night. Woke up at 35-7 and was amazed it wasn't worse than that. I woke up early this morning and watched what I missed. Why, I don't know. I guess because I've seen every play since mid/late in the '00 season.

But this team is ******* awful! Period. And it's impossible for me to get excited about an awful team with a shitty coach that's giving away players and draft picks and drafting guys way to early and getting blown out by two division opponents. The day I'm enthused about that . . . is the day I swallow a bullet. Meaning, it ain't gonna happen.

I did enjoy that KC game though. That game was like a conjucal visit. It was great while it lasted but I'm still in jail.

The artistry in this post is really something to behold. I especially like the twist at the end. Well done.

LRtagger
11-23-2010, 12:40 PM
The term bandwagon fan does not apply here. The correct term is "fairweather fan". Meaning you don't jump from team to team based on who is winning, instead you only care about the Broncos when they are relevant.

Broncos fans have been spoiled. We haven't had to go through losing or trying to rebuild. For the past 20 years we've always at least been mediocre.

This year hasn't been easy even for the most optimistic, but I still get excited on Sundays to watch the game. I still wear my Broncos polo to work and put my Royal jersey on for the game. I'm not going to go peel the decal off my truck. I still will follow the Broncos as much as I can and will continue to try to be optimistic about the future until changes are made. Even if we lose the remainder of our games this year, I'll still dish out the $200 next year for Sunday ticket so I can watch every game next year (living on the east coast). And if I were a Denver native you would have to pry my season tickets out of my dead hands.

Maybe I am a gluton for punishment, but if losing is so difficult to handle, why come to a website and relive how bad the game was? Or rehash points about why we suck so bad?

BCJ
11-23-2010, 12:44 PM

You were called a bandwagon boy (Maybe LTRagger had it more precise as a fairweather fan but both have the same meanings) because you do exactly what the Chargers' fans do and that is be the almighty fan wearing your Broncos shirt on a Wednesday when they are 7-3 but when they are 3-7, you wouldnt dare wear anything related to the Broncos. When they are 7-3, you find any possible way of watching the game on the internet or going down to your local sports bar (like I do in Cali) to watch your team, but when they are 3-7, you decide to wash the car or go shopping with the wife for bath towels and candles. Bandwagon fan doesnt mean that you are jumping on to another team. It means you are jumping OFF because you arent a true fan at that moment. At least I know the Tebowites will jump off and follow Tebow if he was dealt to another team. I get that. Your type I just dont understand. Complain about the team as everyone should and has that right. Not following them as a true passionate fan does because of their record is what I term as part of the bandwagon. After last night's loss, you might be gone for awhile. We will all still be here so when you do, your Broncos jersey will be nicely folded and we will brush off the cobwebs from it when you decide the Broncos are worthy enough to watch again. For now, dont let the door hit you in the ass cause im swinging it shut quickly on ya.

BTW, there are fans that dont go to forums or wont go to a sports bar to watch the broncos and will watch them when they are on their regular tv at home. Those people most likely wont change. I am referring to those that make exceptional efforts to follow the team than abandon all their rituals because of the team's lackluster record and performance.

Elevation inc
11-23-2010, 01:01 PM
I hate football Sundays now. I used to live for the season, but now (like a Tight End we once unceremoniously dumped) I can't wait for the season to end. Except with McDaniels at the helm we will likely get more off season soap operas, ineptitude, and drama to extend the misery to a nearly year round basis.

I'm not going to root for another team. I've rooted for Orange and Blue since the 60's. I can't not care about the Broncos - but dammit we deserve better than this.

Yes we do for sure....

BroncoStud
11-23-2010, 01:50 PM
I don't have faith in the direction the franchise is headed but I'll always be a fan and always attend/watch the games, unless it just got deplorable.

Nomad
11-23-2010, 03:13 PM
This article........http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_16688984...........makes it sound like McDaniels knows he is on thin ice if he keeps losing especially getting blown out!!

I Eat Staples
11-23-2010, 03:19 PM

Chargers fans haven't lost their enthusiasm. You can't lose what you never had.

That said, I'll continue to watch every game and cheer for the Broncos, but I didn't even feel mad or upset after last night's game. It wasn't anything less than I expected.

Mike
11-23-2010, 03:25 PM
I love my Broncos...but I have lost enthusiasm for the coach.

Dreadnought
11-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Chargers fans haven't lost their enthusiasm. You can't lose what you never had.

That said, I'll continue to watch every game and cheer for the Broncos, but I didn't even feel mad or upset after last night's game. It wasn't anything less than I expected.

My wife was amazed. In years past after a game like that I would have tossed and turned, kept her up half the night. She assumed Denver won! I hate that I didn't care all that much - still more than some of that team did though

arapaho2
11-23-2010, 04:35 PM
am i the only one who cringes in fear and disgust as soon as the other team scores,,,knowin all probablilty thats the ball game....and half heartadly watching

i told my wife last nite...do you know how hard this is for me...i have faithfully supported the broncos for 35 years...have never missed a bronco game in over a decade....never gave up hope no matter the score...never gave up on the team no matter the record

now im sick...this disgusting display of team building has caved me

two years ago...4 years ago...6 years ago...ten years ago...i would never evr considered switching channels in a game...my wife wouldnt dare ask....last nite i found my self more interested in charlie harpers antics than the broncos

is that loseing interest?

Nomad
11-23-2010, 04:54 PM

Yeah, McDaniels is becoming more unlikeable as the games are played but I'm not going on depression meds anytime soon!!:lol:

Day1BroncoFan
11-23-2010, 05:06 PM

I am officially withdrawing my support for McD. He will have to earn it back which I doubt he will do. :mad: :coffee:

Elevation inc
11-24-2010, 04:52 AM
I never really lose enthusiasm for the team, I simply have given up on the coaching staff and some of the vet players...but yet every sunday I will still be at my home over here in europe...up at all hours watching every minute of every game regardless of outcome.....i watched the whole SD game even though i had to work at 0700 AM tuesday morning.....the game ended at 0530 AM tuesday morning here with the time change......i dont quit this team as a whole but i have quit on certain players and coaches, and no longer feel like backing them...

orton ,dawkins, jamal williams, Bannan, nate jones, Kuper to name a few

Davii
11-24-2010, 08:00 AM
I don't agree with Woody. I was at the game on Monday, and there was a LOT of orange there. Maybe the Bronco fans there weren't from Denver, or maybe since they had to travel they planned everything well in advance and bought their tickets online when they became available.

Nomad
11-24-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm going to miss NODAK because it's great to go Christmas shopping and there is alot of BRONCOS gear to choose from at Scheel's!! Wife and I just got back from Christmas shopping and I spent a few hundred on BRONCOS gear for my boys and little girl, myself and the wife!! They have cool beanies this year. My only complaint is there needs to be more little girl's stuff then again there's always the interweb!!

UrbanBounca
11-24-2010, 03:59 PM
am i the only one who cringes in fear and disgust as soon as the other team scores,,,knowin all probablilty thats the ball game....and half heartadly watching

i told my wife last nite...do you know how hard this is for me...i have faithfully supported the broncos for 35 years...have never missed a bronco game in over a decade....never gave up hope no matter the score...never gave up on the team no matter the record

now im sick...this disgusting display of team building has caved me

two years ago...4 years ago...6 years ago...ten years ago...i would never evr considered switching channels in a game...my wife wouldnt dare ask....last nite i found my self more interested in charlie harpers antics than the broncos

is that loseing interest?

When SD scored the second time, I turned the game off. Denver doesn't have the required emotional aspect of football. Once they're down, they usually stay down.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Broncos Mtnman
11-24-2010, 04:29 PM
In Woody's Tebow Time piece today (which I don't agree with), he gave a very sad stat that proves fans are losing enthusiasm.

"The franchise is in danger of finishing below 600,000 spectators in actual attendance for the first time since 1974. Capacity at the stadium is 76,125, and the Broncos have reached that total only once in five home games."

Thanks Mickey!!

:coffee: