PDA

View Full Version : Rob Lytle passes away

titan
11-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Saw this on twitter just now from Adam_Schefter:

7:49am via Web
Condolences to the family and friends of former Michigan and Broncos RB Rob Lytle, who died Saturday at the age of 56.

8:09am via Web
Rob Lytle was taken to Memorial Hospital in Fremont, OH with symptoms of heart attack. There he went into massive cardiac arrest. Very sad.

======

Lytle was a rookie running back on the Broncos miracle 77 team and had some big plays that year. The infamous "non-fumble" call in the AFC Championship game is perhaps his best known play, but he was a good change of pace back with Otis Armstrong that year.

Rest in peace, Rob.

How many from that 77 team have we lost now? I can think of:
Norris Weese qb
Paul Smith dline
Lyle Alzado dline
Bernard Jackson safety

anybody else?

topscribe
11-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Wow. So young.

I remember Rob well. Tough, hard-nosed, dependable - a factor on that superb team.

RIP, Rob . . .

-----

Jake Klug
11-21-2010, 10:58 AM
People are dropping like flies. Its sad to see.

BTW, it seems like this is happening an awful lot with players from the 1970s. Dwight White was also in his 50s when he dies a few years ago.

OrangeHoof
11-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Sad indeed, and the number of football players who die young may get worse before it gets better. Newer generations of linemen put on tremendous weight and many don't take it off after their careers end. That creates tremendous stress on their heart.

Then there are the numbers (nobody knows) who used steroids in their earlier days, the number affected by all the hard hits and concussions, etc. that doctors are only now realizing all the damage they do.

Here in Austin, former Heisman Trophy winner and NFL MVP Earl Campbell makes very few public appearances now but, when he appears, people tell me he's a shell of his former self, walks with a cane and is a physical wreck. Makes you appreciate how healthy Floyd Little still looks after all these years.

rcsodak
11-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Wow. So young.

I remember Rob well. Tough, hard-nosed, dependable - a factor on that superb team.

RIP, Rob . . .

-----

That's a crapper. RIP Rob. Same last name of my best friend back home.....think I'll call him.

Dreadnought
11-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Very sad to see. Tough ballplayer; not as physically gifted as some, but always dependable - and a good receiver out of the backfield. Always gave his all.

RIP

Denver Native (Carol)
11-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Condolences to Rob's family. He was a great "team player", as so many of the players were then.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Former Denver Broncos and Michigan running back Rob Lytle died on Saturday night a heart attack. He was 56.

According to a statement from Memorial Hospital in Fremont, Ohio, Lytle was brought to the hospital by ambulance on Saturday night with heart-attack symptoms. While at the hospital, Lytle went into massive cardiac arrest and died.

Lytle was a vice president and business development officer at Old Fort Banking Co., according to The News-Messenger of Fremont.

An All-American at Michigan, Lytle was drafted by the Broncos in the second round of the 1977 NFL draft. He scored the Broncos' only touchdown in Denver's 27-10 loss to the Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl XII.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5834879

PAINTERDAVE
11-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Rip

Day1BroncoFan
11-21-2010, 03:11 PM
:salute:

RIP

TXBRONC
11-21-2010, 03:27 PM
That is said. Anyone that was around for '77 season knows who Lytle was. Like some have mentioned Rob wasn't the most gifted player but he was a hard nosed player that gave it his all. Also, Denver did lose Super Bowl XII Rob was one of the bright spots of the game. He lead the team in rushing that day although it wasn't many yards and he scored Denver's only touchdown.

camdisco24
11-21-2010, 05:38 PM
RIP Mr. Lytle.