PDA

View Full Version : Chargers sell enough tix to lift blackout for MNF

Denver Native (Carol)
11-19-2010, 10:23 PM
SAN DIEGO (AP)—The San Diego Chargers have sold enough tickets to lift the local television blackout for Monday night’s game against the AFC West rival Denver Broncos.

It is just the second time in five home games that Southern California’s only NFL team has sold enough tickets to allow the game to be seen in the region.

Rest of article - http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncos-chargers-blackoutlifted

What a joke their fanbase is

horsepig
11-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Faiders too.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
11-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Damn... monday nighter against a division rival and they struggle? damn

EMB6903
11-20-2010, 11:36 AM
I dont get that.. had they not sold enough tickets that region would be the only one that wouldnt get the national telivised game?

Lancane
11-20-2010, 11:44 AM
And it's for that very reason why the Spanos family is considering a move to a city north of San Diego that is a considerably larger venue...

Can you say hello to the Los Angeles Chargers...;)

Jake Klug
11-20-2010, 11:55 AM
And it's for that very reason why the Spanos family is considering a move to a city north of San Diego that is a considerably larger venue...

Can you say hello to the Los Angeles Chargers...;)

Im pretty sure I can. But can you clarify what you mean? Do you mean verbalize it? Do you mean write it? ;)

Jake Klug
11-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Rest of article - http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncos-chargers-blackoutlifted

What a joke their fanbase is

True but don't tell them that.

Buff
11-20-2010, 12:15 PM
I am looking forward to our 2014 divisional matchup against the Los Angeles Chargers.

KCL
11-20-2010, 12:51 PM
I dont get that.. had they not sold enough tickets that region would be the only one that wouldnt get the national telivised game?

That doesn't make any sense does it? CA is struggling like every other state...but I think they are in worse shape than a lot of states...people can't afford the high ticket prices and everything else that goes along with it...parking etc...I would think the owners would somehow make sure the game is shown esp on MNF.

I agree with you EM...A national televised game and they were at risk of NOT showing it in the region...strange.

Maybe I am wrong in my thinking...I don't care..I know it will be shown in KC.

PAINTERDAVE
11-20-2010, 01:30 PM
If they sold the team to Tijuana, Mexico right across the border...
called them the Tijuana Chargers...
and just left them right where they are to play the games in San Diego...

the San Diego area would sell out every game.

It's all about demographics, people.

Not making a political statement...
just speaking about reality and demographics.

Nomad
11-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Los Angeles Jaguars!!! They were talking about this on FSR during the week!! But it is pathetic as big as SD is and they can't fill the stadium!!

HORSEPOWER 56
11-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Los Angeles Jaguars!!! They were talking about this on FSR during the week!! But it is pathetic as big as SD is and they can't fill the stadium!!

Jacksonville is actually bigger than SD (population and land wise). The problems in Jax are that:

a) the fact that there's so much military in Jax that half the population aren't "locals" and therefore don't root for the "home team" so they don't go to the games as often buy for season tix. The USO here sells single game tix for $10 a piece to the military, so why buy season tickets? Most military are deployed for at least some part of the year, so buying season tickets usually means there are games you will miss and then have to try to sell them to someone else.

b) The Jags were late to the party and 3's a crowd. Most people in South FL are Phins fans and most in North FL are Bucs fans. Few fans from out of town actually make the trip to Jax from places like Gainesville, Daytona, and Orlando because it's roughly the same distance to Tampa (which is a nicer city, anyway) for home games.

The Sparklers have to deal with the military thing in SD but other than that, the fact that there's no LA team to compete with and that they are the only show in So Cal (well, other than USC) means their fanbase really just sucks that much ass. The Sparklers are one of the biggest fairweather fanbases around. If they are .500 or worse they can't sell out, but if they are 12-4 or something, they become the "biggest fans" you've ever seen... :rolleyes:

Nomad
11-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Nothing i didn't know but thanks for the rundown!!:lol:

Lancane
11-20-2010, 03:47 PM

Actually Nomad, the NFL has been ripe with talks of dual teams in the city of Los Angeles; several sources have confirmed that the NFL is interested in having two teams in such a large demographic venue as L.A., the two most note worthy teams are the Chargers and the Jaguars, there was talk of the Vikings being a team of interest in that concern, but it seems that as of now the two teams likely to move to the largest city in the western United States are the Jaguars and Chargers. Also it should be noted that the NFL has a possible international expectations; England, Germany, Canada and Mexico have all shown interest in getting NFL Franchises, there is also rumors that Spain, Japan and South Africa are beginning to inquire about hosting venues.

The Vikings are as of now, by all that I've heard the favorite to be moved to London, England as the first step in becoming an international football league.

I know many fans are not happy about the thought of becoming an international league, but I completely see and understand the league's take on the matter. When I was in Tokyo, American Football as they call it, is almost mythological to them, they love the game itself. Germany was fundamental to the main success of NFL Europe, having the most franchises of any country. Canada has long been enamored with American Football, even having a pretty successful pro-league themselves. And don't be surprised if the NFL makes a bid to purchase the eight team CFL melding those teams into the league or franchises to be moved. The league is just thinking about what is the best way to expand, both as a sport and fiscally.

As of now, I wouldn't be surprised if by 2020 that the NFL had franchises in two or more major cities in Canada, one in Mexico, Germany, England and Japan.

Back to the topic we we're discussing, I could see this playing out in the capacity that we have the Los Angeles Chargers and the Anaheim Jaguars or something along those lines.

BCJ
11-20-2010, 04:25 PM
If they sold the team to Tijuana, Mexico right across the border...
called them the Tijuana Chargers...
and just left them right where they are to play the games in San Diego...

the San Diego area would sell out every game.

It's all about demographics, people.

Not making a political statement...
just speaking about reality and demographics.

Dude, I have no idea what the F you are talking about. They dont sell out because the prices are too high, their fanbase is a bunch of wussies when the threat of rain is coming and they run for the hills when the team is under .500. Tickets that cost me $77 in South Stands Denver but $98 in San Diego for the same type of seat.
I knew this about SD as I had 50 season tickets up until 2 years ago and it was getting harder to sell them even near face value. I actually lost 3 out of 4 home playoff games because of threat of rain vs Jets and Titans.
On a good note, I got Plaza tickets for $98 face value. So, who's going?

Benetto
11-20-2010, 05:07 PM
You're welcome Chargers! I got my plaza level seats for Monday...

BCJ
11-20-2010, 05:14 PM
You're welcome Chargers! I got my plaza level seats for Monday...

where u seating? Im in Plaza 57 under the loge level so if it rains, im covered! You tailgating? We will be arriving around 1:30 from OC. Shoot PM if so. More the merrier (and safer in packs!)

PAINTERDAVE
11-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Dude, I have no idea what the F you are talking about. They dont sell out because the prices are too high, their fanbase is a bunch of wussies when the threat of rain is coming and they run for the hills when the team is under .500. Tickets that cost me $77 in South Stands Denver but $98 in San Diego for the same type of seat.
I knew this about SD as I had 50 season tickets up until 2 years ago and it was getting harder to sell them even near face value. I actually lost 3 out of 4 home playoff games because of threat of rain vs Jets and Titans.
On a good note, I got Plaza tickets for $98 face value. So, who's going?

Hey... I defer to you...

although I do think my point was pretty clear about a different marketing scheme attracting a new fan base.

The Tijuana Chargers would make it an International League without even moving the Team...
and a ton of Mexican Nationals already live there.

Demographics, not politics.

Have a great time at the game.

Day1BroncoFan
11-21-2010, 03:38 PM
One issue is that SoCal is full of people that aren't from here because of the weather. People come here to enjoy the weather and like me root for the team they rooted for where they came from.

I love the weather here but a lot of other things suck.

Jake Klug
11-21-2010, 06:49 PM
where u seating? Im in Plaza 57 under the loge level so if it rains, im covered! You tailgating? We will be arriving around 1:30 from OC. Shoot PM if so. More the merrier (and safer in packs!)

Why do you have a Michael Bolton avatar?

BCJ
11-22-2010, 02:13 AM
Why do you have a Michael Bolton avatar?

You dont know Bronco Warrior? U havent lived yet.

BCJ
11-22-2010, 02:19 AM
One issue is that SoCal is full of people that aren't from here because of the weather. People come here to enjoy the weather and like me root for the team they rooted for where they came from.

I love the weather here but a lot of other things suck.

BS! While SD does have a lot of military, they have millions (2 or 3) that are residents and the excuse of that everyone came from somewhere else is bs. You realize California has been a state since the mid 1800s. How does DOdgers and Angels do well in baseball ? Hell, baseball has been popular for years before football had its passion. SoCal, with the many activities, decides that football isnt a necessary activity in residents' lives. Sure, they are foolish but we cant change everyone.

BoltWalt
11-22-2010, 04:21 AM
I know many fans are not happy about the thought of becoming an international league, but I completely see and understand the league's take on the matter.

Do you really want the league scattered all over the world? I for one would not. If anything I would rather see a system set up like FIFA and every four years have a world cup of American Football. Now that would be exciting.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
11-22-2010, 09:40 AM
That's pretty brutal.

Day1BroncoFan
11-22-2010, 10:22 AM
BS! While SD does have a lot of military, they have millions (2 or 3) that are residents and the excuse of that everyone came from somewhere else is bs. You realize California has been a state since the mid 1800s. How does DOdgers and Angels do well in baseball ? Hell, baseball has been popular for years before football had its passion. SoCal, with the many activities, decides that football isnt a necessary activity in residents' lives. Sure, they are foolish but we cant change everyone.

I didn't say it was an excuse but it is an issue. Jeez, mellow out.

MileHighCrew
11-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Actually Nomad, the NFL has been ripe with talks of dual teams in the city of Los Angeles; several sources have confirmed that the NFL is interested in having two teams in such a large demographic venue as L.A., the two most note worthy teams are the Chargers and the Jaguars, there was talk of the Vikings being a team of interest in that concern, but it seems that as of now the two teams likely to move to the largest city in the western United States are the Jaguars and Chargers. Also it should be noted that the NFL has a possible international expectations; England, Germany, Canada and Mexico have all shown interest in getting NFL Franchises, there is also rumors that Spain, Japan and South Africa are beginning to inquire about hosting venues.

The Vikings are as of now, by all that I've heard the favorite to be moved to London, England as the first step in becoming an international football league.

I know many fans are not happy about the thought of becoming an international league, but I completely see and understand the league's take on the matter. When I was in Tokyo, American Football as they call it, is almost mythological to them, they love the game itself. Germany was fundamental to the main success of NFL Europe, having the most franchises of any country. Canada has long been enamored with American Football, even having a pretty successful pro-league themselves. And don't be surprised if the NFL makes a bid to purchase the eight team CFL melding those teams into the league or franchises to be moved. The league is just thinking about what is the best way to expand, both as a sport and fiscally.

As of now, I wouldn't be surprised if by 2020 that the NFL had franchises in two or more major cities in Canada, one in Mexico, Germany, England and Japan.

Back to the topic we we're discussing, I could see this playing out in the capacity that we have the Los Angeles Chargers and the Anaheim Jaguars or something along those lines.

I am Canadian and I love the NFL. But I can tell you the people in Canada, mostly western Canada love the CFL. They wouldn't stand for any changes. Also the CFL is looking at expanding within Canada and not selling to the NFL. A few years ago the CFL made a deal with the NFL. The NFL gave cash and they could purge any player under contract or not to NFL rosters. That deal expired and was not extended as the CFL is in very good shape now.
Although many including myself would love to see an NFL team in Toronto full time (but I'll always be a Broncos fan :salute: I don't give a crap what other team is ever created I am a Broncos fan for the rest of my life) that wouldn't spell the end of the CFL as a league and possible not even in Toronto. There are a lot of people in this country that love 3 down, 110 yard 12 man CFL football. FWI The Grey Cup championship game is this Sunday in a rematch of Saskatchewan vs. Montreal. being played in Edmonton, the most northern CFL city. Where the expected temp is a balmy 15F, it was -13F last weekend so they got lucky.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-22-2010, 12:33 PM
I was thinking, I've never even heard of a MNF gome being blacked out. Even the Jaguars sell out on Monday night. Seeing as how it's an E!SPN game, how do you black that out? Do you just not show it in SD? It would be awesome to think that MNF has been cancelled for the city of SD... make them watch water polo or something.

NightTrainLayne
11-22-2010, 12:59 PM
I was thinking, I've never even heard of a MNF gome being blacked out. Even the Jaguars sell out on Monday night. Seeing as how it's an E!SPN game, how do you black that out? Do you just not show it in SD? It would be awesome to think that MNF has been cancelled for the city of SD... make them watch water polo or something.

Yes, ESPN would have broadcast some alternative programming in place of the MNF game in the S.D. blackout area.

Ballet I think would have been best, but the turkeys sold enough tickets.