PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Broncos looking to make late push

Denver Native (Carol)
11-18-2010, 11:49 PM
From article:

Here's a word Broncos fans haven't heard much this year: health.

But as the team prepares for Monday night's game at San Diego, it is doing so with the healthiest roster it has had since, well, maybe ever.

Rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16648706

dogfish
11-19-2010, 12:03 AM
my first post in last week's gameday thread was to the effect of "we're as healthy as we're ever going to get this year, it's now or never". . . certainly helps. . . we needed the week off, to regroup as much as to get some guys back. . . having the full O-line definitely worked out well, though. . .

we'll see if we can maintain it against san diego. . . the big win was nice, but we don't have that extra time to scheme and rest up this week. . .

Canmore
11-19-2010, 12:14 AM
We are as healthy as we are probably going to be and we showed what we're capable of last week when we are healthy. There are no excuses for not showing up in San Diego and not bringing it. I think the direction this game goes is going to be a reflection of the rest of the season. Are we going to be relevant or playing for draft position?

pnbronco
11-19-2010, 12:17 AM
my first post in last week's gameday thread was to the effect of "we're as healthy as we're ever going to get this year, it's now or never". . . certainly helps. . . we needed the week off, to regroup as much as to get some guys back. . . having the full O-line definitely worked out well, though. . .

we'll see if we can maintain it against san diego. . . the big win was nice, but we don't have that extra time to scheme and rest up this week. . .

What I noticed at the game was that the O opened up holes that I had not seen in over a year.

The big thing I noticed was that the D stayed where they were suppose to. Last year against the Chiefs our guys were running into each other and helping the holes as much as the Chiefs. They were so much more disaplined on Sunday.

So it is my biggest hope that the team has learned how to execute the plays and continue to do so against SD, so that we don't beat ourselves. I'm so glad to hear that we are healthier

Foochacho
11-19-2010, 12:42 AM
It all falls on the Oline let's hope they can keep it up. If we cannot establish a run game and protection it will be a typical beat down from san diego.

Dzone
11-19-2010, 03:23 AM
I Fully expect a win on Monday night. It will be a shootout. Rivers is playing MVP ball. We are making improvements every week.

Lancane
11-19-2010, 03:29 AM
To beat San Diego, we will have to be near flawless in all facets of the game. I'm not going to be delusional about the odds, albeit that others on here are doing just that. Denver will have to play better on offense then they did last week, San Diego is the only defense that we've faced so far that is ranked in the Top Five in both passing and rushing defense, and if the run game stalls, then it will be on Orton's shoulders and though he's done well, he may not have enough to carry this team. Defensively...Denver is going to have to play lights out, last week we allowed Cassell 450 yards in the air, if we give that to a quarterback like Rivers, it would be devastating. San Diego's run game is their offensive weakness, and Denver will have to allow more yards on the ground but cover the field to keep the game at their pace, if we allow Rivers and their offense to control it...then it could get ugly quick. As far as offense is concerned, we'll need to just wear them down, grind them for yardage and then look to the big plays in between to overwhelm them.

Canmore
11-19-2010, 03:49 AM
To beat San Diego, we will have to be near flawless in all facets of the game. I'm not going to be delusional about the odds, albeit that others on here are doing just that. Denver will have to play better on offense then they did last week, San Diego is the only defense that we've faced so far that is ranked in the Top Five in both passing and rushing defense, and if the run game stalls, then it will be on Orton's shoulders and though he's done well, he may not have enough to carry this team. Defensively...Denver is going to have to play lights out, last week we allowed Cassell 450 yards in the air, if we give that to a quarterback like Rivers, it would be devastating. San Diego's run game is their offensive weakness, and Denver will have to allow more yards on the ground but cover the field to keep the game at their pace, if we allow Rivers and their offense to control it...then it could get ugly quick. As far as offense is concerned, we'll need to just wear them down, grind them for yardage and then look to the big plays in between to overwhelm them.

San Diego's special teams have been especially bad this year. I expect our special teams to outplay their's. This could be huge difference in the game. As far as everything you've said it seems spot on.

Dirk
11-19-2010, 07:02 AM
I'm getting excited for Monday night! I haven't had anticipation for a game like this for quite some time. I hope I am not let down.

Our pass coverage has to be near perfect. Cox and Champ are going to have to do their job and do it well. Same goes for the LBs.

Love Monday night games!

Lancane
11-19-2010, 07:08 AM
San Diego's special teams have been especially bad this year. I expect our special teams to outplay their's. This could be huge difference in the game. As far as everything you've said it seems spot on.

I wouldn't say they've been especially bad, just horrendous when compared to the units they have fielded over the past ten or so years. It's sort of how we see our run game now compared to the past, it's only gotten worse and at one time was such a strong point. We think of it as a plus though, after all that difference last year helped us get a victory over them, something that had been hard to come by for several seasons, and they still whooped our asses later that season. So I'll agree that special teams could play a major factor only in that whoever has the better unit out there could set the tempo of the game.

I'm not expecting us to win, but what I pointed out was the base key factors that could lead to winning the game. Too bad I'm not the defensive coordinator, I would run a 3-3-5 defense against San Diego, taking away their one strong point on offense, and I would not overly rush the passer with a wide array of blitz schemes, just stick to normal pass rushing from the line and linebackers, especially on the weaker spots of their offensive line, exploit them continually till they have to double team therein making another area of the line weak so it too could be exploited. This game will really come down to who's best prepared and sets in motion the best overall scheme and game plan knowing the other teams weaknesses.

TXBRONC
11-19-2010, 09:29 AM

While I don't know this for fact I would bet that McDaniels and Martindale went into last week's game feeling that if the game came down to Cassel beating them with pass that probably wouldn't happen and obiviously that held to form.

That being said I was thinking along same lines as you that we got keep the ball out of Rivers hands as much as possible or it will more than likely get ugly in a hurry.

rcsodak
11-19-2010, 10:01 AM
SD has had a week to get healthy , address their ST's and decide how to play McD. They've lost 2gms already in division. This game could very well be THEIR SEASON as well, and would be the 1st time in a while of missing the playoffs. Personally, I think Turner is a horrible HC, who cant win without top talent and still sux when he has it. Can ANYBODY answer why SD takes the 1at qtr of the season to get going? Its not like they've been making wholesale changes.
If McD can get a big lead early and keep them guessing, denver can win. But the same thing can be said for SD.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lancane
11-19-2010, 10:02 AM
While I don't know this for fact I would bet that McDaniels and Martindale went into last week's game feeling that if the game came down to Cassel beating them with pass that probably wouldn't happen and obiviously that held to form.

That being said I was thinking along same lines as you that we got keep the ball out of Rivers hands as much as possible or it will more than likely get ugly in a hurry.

Well he is the prime reason for their offense being the top rated offense in the league. However, they're still better at running the ball then we are, they are rated as the 16th overall rushing offense, so...I see it as give up more on the ground, less in the air and we can win, because McDaniels will have to pick one of two evils to stop, and usually in that situation you stop the most potent of the two.

broncofaninfla
11-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Every team deals with injuries, it's NEVER an excuse to suck. It's the job of the GM and HC to build a team with depth to replace the inevitable injuries.

MasterShake
11-19-2010, 10:46 AM
If our O-Line plays like it did last week, our Offense has an edge over San Diego IMO. I think Rivers is a better QB than Orton in many ways, but damned if we don't have more weapons.

I think if we can get the running game going, Lloyd and Royal will have great games. I'd also love to see Demaryius Thomas get a TD.

All I wanted after the BYE was at least one more meaningful game. I have that to look forward to Monday night and I can not wait!

Nomad
11-19-2010, 10:51 AM
One can only imagine of Ayers and Dumervil were playing! We can take the Chargers with the players we have now and I believe we will win!!

rcsodak
11-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Well he is the prime reason for their offense being the top rated offense in the league. However, they're still better at running the ball then we are, they are rated as the 16th overall rushing offense, so...I see it as give up more on the ground, less in the air and we can win, because McDaniels will have to pick one of two evils to stop, and usually in that situation you stop the most potent of the two.
glad youre coming around on that D philosophy, cane. :D

rcsodak
11-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Every team deals with injuries, it's NEVER an excuse to suck. It's the job of the GM and HC to build a team with depth to replace the inevitable injuries.
kinda hard to do that while bringing in all new scheme and discarding the trash. I would say it takes longer to build depth than it does the starters.