PDA

View Full Version : New article about Kenny McKinley

MileHighCrew
11-18-2010, 01:33 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/the_bonus/11/16/mckinley/index.html?eref=sihp

rcsodak
11-18-2010, 01:37 PM
on mobile......copy/paste?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

UnderArmour
11-18-2010, 02:00 PM
on mobile......copy/paste?

No longer permitted under BroncosForums rules. I'll give you a few exerts

"A lot of people think that because you play professional sports, everything is fine and your life is great," said Broncos tight end Daniel Graham, seated at his locker, two down from McKinley's, which will remain untouched this season. "But we're humans just like anybody else. We have issues just like anybody else does. And you can't take life for granted."

The signs were subtle, almost whirs, missed by everyone. At 23, McKinley was no longer the pride of South Carolina, where football stars are revered. Instead, he was just a guy, another injured player trying to hold onto his career. In an eight-month span, McKinley suffered two knee injuries, the latter requiring microfracture surgery in August, ending his second NFL season before it began. It was soon thereafter, while playing dominoes with some buddies, when McKinley suggested he should just kill himself.
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/the_bonus/11/16/mckinley/index.html#ixzz15f5mzj8e

Some stuff about how Colorado has a high suicide rate, Paige himself contemplated suicide, and an e-mail to Paige about how his column saved his life.

More focus on suicides after, talks about McDaniels's reaction and another e-mail from a reader. And then the conclusion.
Talks about the good times. It's a good read about suicides, but it's a broader sort of linking suicides in general to this incident and vice versa.

Mods am I doing it right or do I need to tone it back?

MileHighCrew
11-18-2010, 02:01 PM

Double click image to see larger, not sure how to make it view larger. This is the cover photo from teh story on si.com

OrangeHoof
11-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Given the new rules (or new clarification) he shouldn't post the whole article. But it didn't really reveal much we didn't already know, other than e-mails from Woody Paige's computer after he revealed his own suicidal thoughts. Yes, nobody saw Kenny's death coming, Yes, he seemed fine in the days leading up to it. No note was left.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
11-18-2010, 02:13 PM
It's just sad to think about this. Life is hard, and everyone has problems. I just hope Kenny's family is able to carry on and that he's happy upstairs.

rcsodak
11-18-2010, 02:40 PM
No longer permitted under BroncosForums rules. I'll give you a few exerts

Some stuff about how Colorado has a high suicide rate, Paige himself contemplated suicide, and an e-mail to Paige about how his column saved his life.

More focus on suicides after, talks about McDaniels's reaction and another e-mail from a reader. And then the conclusion.

Talks about the good times. It's a good read about suicides, but it's a broader sort of linking suicides in general to this incident and vice versa.

Mods am I doing it right or do I need to tone it back?
thanks, Ua. And I mustve missed the new rule. :eek:

rcsodak
11-18-2010, 02:43 PM
I still wonder if it wasn't suicide. Guess we'll never know. :sad:

BroncoNut
11-18-2010, 02:48 PM
thanks, Ua. And I mustve missed the new rule. :eek:

Tned sent a notice to all the members quite a while ago, you had to have gotten it. Didn't you read it? You were a member here at the time

rationalfan
11-18-2010, 02:58 PM
great article. very emotional. and, unless you're a heartless *******, you'll leave with a new appreciation for woody paige.

too sad.

you know, we've been on here bitching about players underperforming, being injured and the coaches acting like morons. but did any of us even consider a great part of the malaise to the broncos' season is a serious hangover from mckinley's death?

gotta admit, i almost forgot about it. sadly.

BroncoNut
11-18-2010, 03:01 PM
very well might be the case rf.

rationalfan
11-18-2010, 03:07 PM
and, if anyone's wondering about it, here's paige column referenced in this piece about mckinley.

very well done.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16149407

BroncoNut
11-18-2010, 03:15 PM
no thanks rf, I've heard enough on the death of Mr. McKinley. RIP young man.

pnbronco
11-18-2010, 10:35 PM
great article. very emotional. and, unless you're a heartless *******, you'll leave with a new appreciation for woody paige.

too sad.

you know, we've been on here bitching about players underperforming, being injured and the coaches acting like morons. but did any of us even consider a great part of the malaise to the broncos' season is a serious hangover from mckinley's death?

gotta admit, i almost forgot about it. sadly.

Actually yes:

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1102659#post1102659 post # 49.

I was really sad that I had forgotten just how much grief can kick your tail when I posted that then. That was a really good article. Thinking of Kenny still makes me tear up. I hope these articles help many more people.

BCJ
11-19-2010, 03:23 AM
It's just sad to think about this. Life is hard, and everyone has problems. I just hope Kenny's family is able to carry on and that he's happy upstairs.

tough for his son when he walks in and sees his dad's inside's blown to bits. No father and horrible scene. Suicide is selfish when you have a family to take care of. They depend on you. Look how many people arent pulling in a paycheck because they dont have a job right now. Most dont pull the trigger but try to find a way to survive. He took the worst route anyone could do and didnt ask for help. The worst scenario is the one he choose.