PDA

View Full Version : What 5 college players do you think we should take with the Rd 1 pick? Be realistic.

lex
09-19-2007, 11:24 PM
OK, what 5 players would you not mind Denver taking that realistically might be available in Rd 1? The other thread got me to looking into various prospects that might be available to us (assuming we draft at the end of the rd).

Also, who would you want to avoid?

DenBronx
09-19-2007, 11:45 PM
we have so many 2nd day picks and i really dont think we need to load up on tons of rookies. so i think maybe denver should package a few picks and players (gold,bell) and trade up in the 1st day to get someone that can make an impact. as of right now i think the draft is going to be deeper for lineman then safeties. id like to see us get a really good WILL.

lex
09-19-2007, 11:57 PM
we have so many 2nd day picks and i really dont think we need to load up on tons of rookies. so i think maybe denver should package a few picks and players (gold,bell) and trade up in the 1st day to get someone that can make an impact. as of right now i think the draft is going to be deeper for lineman then safeties. id like to see us get a really good WILL.

I dont know. Our special teams arent that great. Maybe we could load up on guys we intend to focus on special teams. Or maybe we could get other situational players. The thing is who would you want to trade up to get? Obviously a lot depends on how the pro and college seasons unfold but when you look at it now theres not really anyone that youd want to definitively move up to get. There doesnt appear to be a lot of depth at safety like last year. Theres really only 1 safety that Id feel good about taking in Rd 1. But Phillips will likely go way too early for us. The only guy that jumps out at me at the moment is Frank Okam. Phil Steele has him as the #2 DT which would make him unattainable for us but most others Ive seen have him as the 4th or 5th best DT. I can see maybe moving up for him. Again, Id kind of like to see us get special teams players, namely returners and extra linebackers.

Lonestar
09-20-2007, 12:00 AM
sorry I do not follow college players all that much.

But I hope they re-address DT again this next year along with a OT and safety.

All day one..

DenBronx
09-20-2007, 12:04 AM
I dont know. Our special teams arent that great. Maybe we could load up on guys we intend to focus on special teams. Or maybe we could get other situational players. The thing is who would you want to trade up to get? Obviously a lot depends on how the pro and college seasons unfold but when you look at it now theres not really anyone that youd want to definitively move up to get. There doesnt appear to be a lot of depth at safety like last year. Theres really only 1 safety that Id feel good about taking in Rd 1. But Phillips will likely go way too early for us. The only guy that jumps out at me at the moment is Frank Okam. Phil Steele has him as the #2 DT which would make him unattainable for us but most others Ive seen have him as the 4th or 5th best DT. I can see maybe moving up for him. Again, Id kind of like to see us get special teams players, namely returners and extra linebackers.

yeah but why invest a good draft pick on an unproven guy like hixon hoping he can be a pure returner like hester or hall when you can hand pick the proven ones in free agency or via trade? dante hall was beans for the rams and even though he may not be a dominate that he once was at least he is better than what we got now. i dont know....special teams guys has always been the gray area with me...i just think those are the hardest ones that are a sureshot. eddie drummond would have looked good in orange and blue.

lex
09-20-2007, 12:08 AM
sorry I do not follow college players all that much.

But I hope they re-address DT again this next year along with a OT and safety.

All day one..

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008DT.php

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=DT&draftyear=2008&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

Yeah, Im going to start focusing more on a few of the names Ive been researching. Like I said in the other thred, Okam seems OK...I guess I should call him OKam.

DenBronx
09-20-2007, 12:11 AM
lex there is one special teams player that i wouldnt mind seeing the broncos go after. i think its #1 jackson from cal state bears. this guy has sick moves as a returner...i really think he is going to be as good as hester.

i'll try and dig up some highlights.

DenBronx
09-20-2007, 12:13 AM
ok watch this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPXSzia2Zfg

DenBronx
09-20-2007, 12:16 AM
his highlight vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz6SZ4fqCIY

lex
09-20-2007, 12:20 AM
BTW, here are the 5 top targets in Rd 1:

Frank Okam
Red Bryant
Dan Connor
Erin Henderson
Keith Rivers (probably unattainable but Ive seen him as low as the 3rd best OLB).

LoyalSoldier
09-20-2007, 12:22 AM
I think it is too far out to be talking about the draft. We don't know which juniors will be leaving for the NFL or staying. Also what position we would have in the draft is no where close to being decided. Then again we may already have a better record than some teams will this season.

DenBronx
09-20-2007, 12:25 AM
I think it is too far out to be talking about the draft. We don't know which juniors will be leaving for the NFL or staying. Also what position we would have in the draft is no where close to being decided. Then again we may already have a better record than some teams will this season.

denver never gets a high draft slot. i think id rather see us win football games then get into the top ten like the browns, lions, texans and raiders seem to do year after year.

TXBRONC

That's what I was going to say. Besides that if anyone us was able to figure out Shanahan's draft board, I'm hauling ther rear end to Vegas to break the bank. :laugh:

lex
lex there is one special teams player that i wouldnt mind seeing the broncos go after. i think its #1 jackson from cal state bears. this guy has sick moves as a returner...i really think he is going to be as good as hester.

i'll try and dig up some highlights.

Yeah, Im well aware of him but the problem is that Hester was a 3rd round pick and, like Ginn, Jackson will probably go in Rd 1. Rd 1 is kind of high for taking a returner. I remember seeing him get rattled mentally when USC banged him around a little bit when he was playing WR. And thats nothing compared to the contact he will see in the pros. So basically he is a great return man but a) Im not sure he is worth the rd 1 pick and b) someone will probably take him well before us...I guess Ginn and Jackson can thank Hester for that.

lex
09-20-2007, 12:29 AM

Its hard to be "too far out" when there is no harm in talking about it...because thats all it is -- talk. We all realize there is a lot in front of us that remains to be decided. Theres no harm in discussing this.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-20-2007, 12:30 AM
i part of me wants a big beefy DT or a good outside LB

but then the other part of me wants to trade everything to get McFadden or Slaton just because thats what i want and i have no good reason for wanting them.

not really up on defensive recruits though

TXBRONC
09-20-2007, 12:31 AM
Yeah, Im well aware of him but the problem is that Hester was a 3rd round pick and, like Ginn, Jackson will probably go in Rd 1. Rd 1 is kind of high for taking a returner. I remember seeing him get rattled mentally when USC banged him around a little bit when he was playing WR. And thats nothing compared to the contact he will see in the pros. So basically he is a great return man but a) Im not sure he is worth the rd 1 pick and b) someone will probably take him well before us...I guess Ginn and Jackson can thank Hester for that.

I don't think there is any doubt about. If you're taking a guy the first round that returns kick you need to be projecting him as starter somewhere.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-20-2007, 12:51 AM
Depends where we're picking, I'm guessing we'll make the playoffs, so in the 20's somewhere. . . with that said, here are the five targets I'd choose in late round one.

Keith Rivers - He fills a need at linebacker and has flexibility. He could start right away and he brings dynamic to the defense. He'll make plays all day long and shut down the run. He's the kind of guy I want attacking gaps and making plays, and I think he's a perfect fit for the defense. One of the better outside linebackers to come out in some time, and I think he'd be a real good one for us.

Gosder Cherilus - Quite possiby the best lineman to come out of Boston College over the past five years and with the crop of talent they produce, that's saying something. With Ryan Harris a hopeful to take over the left tackle position when Lepsis calls it quits, Cherilus is the dominant force we need over at the right tackle position to win in the running game, and support Cutler in the pocket. He's a top fifteen talent but might drop a bit due to the needs elsewhere on the board. It's hard to believe he'd be there at our pick, but it's always possible. The guy is nasty and with a name like Gosder Cherilus I'd stay away from him.

Phillip Wheeler - A guy I think I forgot to mention in my linebacking analysis. Has the ability to play multiple positions and is a force in the running game, can get to the quarterback and has came up with some big interceptions. He's my #2 choice for a linebacker in the first-round.

DeMario Pressley - A former #1 recruit out of high school Pressley has had his highs and lows. Some people think he's inconsistent, but I think his play as the season progresses will prove that he's a first-round talent. I'm not a fan of Okam here, although he'd be a great nose tackle because he's underachieving big time this year, and Pressley is a classic one gap attacking tackle who is surpisingly better against the run than he is the pass. We need guys who can attack up field, and be able to hold their ground. He has tremendous strength and a nice frame, so he could get bigger if we needed him to. Either way, he's an upgrade on the interior of the defensive line.

I know that's only four. . .

lex
09-20-2007, 01:21 AM
Depends where we're picking, I'm guessing we'll make the playoffs, so in the 20's somewhere. . . with that said, here are the five targets I'd choose in late round one.

Keith Rivers - He fills a need at linebacker and has flexibility. He could start right away and he brings dynamic to the defense. He'll make plays all day long and shut down the run. He's the kind of guy I want attacking gaps and making plays, and I think he's a perfect fit for the defense. One of the better outside linebackers to come out in some time, and I think he'd be a real good one for us.

Hopefully he's not unattainable.
Gosder Cherilus - Quite possiby the best lineman to come out of Boston College over the past five years and with the crop of talent they produce, that's saying something. With Ryan Harris a hopeful to take over the left tackle position when Lepsis calls it quits, Cherilus is the dominant force we need over at the right tackle position to win in the running game, and support Cutler in the pocket. He's a top fifteen talent but might drop a bit due to the needs elsewhere on the board. It's hard to believe he'd be there at our pick, but it's always possible. The guy is nasty and with a name like Gosder Cherilus I'd stay away from him.

Nice, although, I wouldnt mind taking Kraus later if we were going to go after a guard. I also wouldnt mind taking either Callender or Whitworth.

Phillip Wheeler - A guy I think I forgot to mention in my linebacking analysis. Has the ability to play multiple positions and is a force in the running game, can get to the quarterback and has came up with some big interceptions. He's my #2 choice for a linebacker in the first-round.

You dont think he is a bit of a reach? Phil Steele has him as the #7 OLB and this http://walterfootball.com/draft2008OLB.php has him as the # 8 OLB.

This one actually agrees with you on Wheeler: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=10899

DeMario Pressley - A former #1 recruit out of high school Pressley has had his highs and lows. Some people think he's inconsistent, but I think his play as the season progresses will prove that he's a first-round talent. I'm not a fan of Okam here, although he'd be a great nose tackle because he's underachieving big time this year, and Pressley is a classic one gap attacking tackle who is surpisingly better against the run than he is the pass. We need guys who can attack up field, and be able to hold their ground. He has tremendous strength and a nice frame, so he could get bigger if we needed him to. Either way, he's an upgrade on the interior of the defensive line.

My concern with him is injuries. Didnt he injure his wrist last year? He also injured his knee this year. Bryant has an injured knee but he already has the size and is also supposed to be stout against the run.

Skinny
09-20-2007, 05:36 AM
At DT, Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC. (wishful thinking i know but. . .)

At Safety, Jonathan Hefney, Safety, Tennessee or Craig Steltz, SS, from LSU has had a very strong start to the year.

lex
09-20-2007, 09:15 AM
At DT, Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC. (wishful thinking i know but. . .)

At Safety, Jonathan Hefney, Safety, Tennessee or Craig Steltz, SS, from LSU has had a very strong start to the year.

Perhaps its not wishful thinking. Is it unreasonable to acknowledge that the #3 DT to go might be available to teams picking in 20-32? I guess too though that if Okam is the 2nd DT selected but most teams like Ellis, that would mean Ellis wouldnt last because people would then see him as value pick.

Gotta say though that Im really kind of hoping we avoid Hefney. He is a little on the small side. I would rather take Demps later. I dont think there is enough quality at safety at this point to pick one in the late first round. I think DT or LB is what we should go with.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-20-2007, 02:58 PM
Hopefully he's not unattainable.[/I]

It's tough to say especially since the season isn't over and juniors haven't declared, but he'd be within trade in range. (I'd assume.)

[QUOTE]Nice, although, I wouldnt mind taking Kraus later if we were going to go after a guard. I also wouldnt mind taking either Callender or Whitworth.

The guards in this class are terrible, Kraus is one of the only legitimate day one selections we would have, but I'm not a fan of guards on Day One. I'm not as concerned with our guard position as tackle, unless Hamilton cannot even play all year. Then I get worried.

You dont think he is a bit of a reach? Phil Steele has him as the #7 OLB and this http://walterfootball.com/draft2008OLB.php has him as the # 8 OLB.

This one actually agrees with you on Wheeler: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=10899

Walter has three underclassmen ahead of them, and I really don't think many underclassmen will enter at linebacker, especially OLB since it's such a strong class. I think Wheeler's grade will depend ultimately on what teams are grading him. A 4-3 team may have him ranked higher than a 3-4, or vice versa. Remember when I said Adam Carriker would go high to a team who wants to move him to defensive tackle? How right I was. I still haven't been given my props from JHNS on that one.

My concern with him is injuries. Didnt he injure his wrist last year? He also injured his knee this year. Bryant has an injured knee but he already has the size and is also supposed to be stout against the run.

A lot of the tackles in this class have had a nagging injury or two. Remember, Shanahan has never saw an injured he didn't like. ;) I think that Pressley is a first-round talent, but Bryant isn't. That's why I didn't list Bryant. He'd be great in round two.

I think that wide receiver could still be a "darkhorse" pick in the first-round since the value would be there. It's the darkhorse I'd root for.

underrated29
09-20-2007, 03:31 PM
WELL i dont watch college, nor do i know anything about most of the players that will become available for the draft. so i have to be lame and say

rd 1. linebacker

rd 2. A. fatty dline B. faller oline

rd.3. oline or/ dline if oline was pick 2.

rd 4. another lb/oline/dline- in that order

rd 5. whatevers left, id say a returner or safety.

im not very good at this. and by rd i mean pick .

but once i can see the player and hear about their skills i can give my opinion better

lex
09-20-2007, 04:28 PM
It's tough to say especially since the season isn't over and juniors haven't declared, but he'd be within trade in range. (I'd assume.)

The guards in this class are terrible, Kraus is one of the only legitimate day one selections we would have, but I'm not a fan of guards on Day One. I'm not as concerned with our guard position as tackle, unless Hamilton cannot even play all year. Then I get worried.

Walter has three underclassmen ahead of them, and I really don't think many underclassmen will enter at linebacker, especially OLB since it's such a strong class. I think Wheeler's grade will depend ultimately on what teams are grading him. A 4-3 team may have him ranked higher than a 3-4, or vice versa. Remember when I said Adam Carriker would go high to a team who wants to move him to defensive tackle? How right I was. I still haven't been given my props from JHNS on that one.

No. I dont remember you saying that per se but a lot of people were projecting that might be the case. A lot of people were saying he is more suited as a 3-4 DE. What I remember most is that I didnt want him since we needed a pass rusher and there were better pass rushers.

A lot of the tackles in this class have had a nagging injury or two. Remember, Shanahan has never saw an injured he didn't like. ;) I think that Pressley is a first-round talent, but Bryant isn't. That's why I didn't list Bryant. He'd be great in round two.

I think that wide receiver could still be a "darkhorse" pick in the first-round since the value would be there. It's the darkhorse I'd root for.
Honestly, as I look at it more, I think Id rather draft Dre Moore later and get a LB like Mualamula (sp).

What makes you think Cherilous wont turn out to be another George Foster? I havent seen a lot of GC but I noticed he is 314.

broncosinindy
09-20-2007, 05:00 PM
[QUOTE=lex;19459]

Honestly, as I look at it more, I think Id rather draft Dre Moore later and get a LB like Mualamula (sp).

QUOTE]

Rey Maualuga is a top twenty pick. Dre Moore Has seen his stock sore but his stock is still on the fringe of the first round. Some are saying he will be better then okam. which really doesnt surprise me a whole lot. since there is alot of questions in his game, and being able to dominate with top ranked players around him. You might see Okam drop into the top of the second

Cherilus unlike Foster hasnt had any injuries of note. He plays with a nasty streak. and has great size and footwork. can dominate in the pass and rush

lex
09-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Rey Maualuga is a top twenty pick. Dre Moore Has seen his stock sore but his stock is still on the fringe of the first round. Some are saying he will be better then okam. which really doesnt surprise me a whole lot. since there is alot of questions in his game, and being able to dominate with top ranked players around him. You might see Okam drop into the top of the second

Cherilus unlike Foster hasnt had any injuries of note. He plays with a nasty streak. and has great size and footwork. can dominate in the pass and rush

A lot of people have a lot of guys as top 20 picks. If you were to sample different sources you might see 35 guys who are labeled as a potential top 20 by one source or another. Also, you might be right about Moore but Im going by whats out there.

broncosinindy
09-20-2007, 05:18 PM
A lot of people have a lot of guys as top 20 picks. If you were to sample different sources you might see 35 guys who are labeled as a potential top 20 by one source or another. Also, you might be right about Moore but Im going by whats out there.
I am sure the rankins will change a million more times from now until the draft. It's early yes but you can see who are gamers and who isnt

LoyalSoldier
09-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Its hard to be "too far out" when there is no harm in talking about it...because thats all it is -- talk. We all realize there is a lot in front of us that remains to be decided. Theres no harm in discussing this.

Then why does it say "Be realistic" in the title? That is all I am doing, being realistic.

denver never gets a high draft slot. i think id rather see us win football games then get into the top ten like the browns, lions, texans and raiders seem to do year after year.

Oh I was referring to the fact we already have 2 wins which is most likely more than some teams with have this entire season.

lex
09-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Then why does it say "Be realistic" in the title? That is all I am doing, being realistic.

Oh I was referring to the fact we already have 2 wins which is most likely more than some teams with have this entire season.

Wow, I cant believe someone is asking this. I meant being realistic based on where things are right now and to some extent making reasonable projections. Its not like Im asking anyone to predict what will happen or even to put money on what will happen.

LoyalSoldier
09-20-2007, 11:10 PM
Wow, I cant believe someone is asking this. I meant being realistic based on where things are right now and to some extent making reasonable projections. Its not like Im asking anyone to predict what will happen or even to put money on what will happen.

Ok and I am being realistic on where things right now. The fact of the matter is there is way too much that can happen between now and the draft.

Now if you say "Who do you really really really want" then I might say someone, but I just think there are way too many factors.

lex
09-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Ok and I am being realistic on where things right now. The fact of the matter is there is way too much that can happen between now and the draft.

Now if you say "Who do you really really really want" then I might say someone, but I just think there are way too many factors.

OK. Thanks for contributing to the thread. I really wasnt trying to take you to a place youre not capable of going. Again, thanks in any case.

LoyalSoldier
09-21-2007, 12:21 AM
OK. Thanks for contributing to the thread. I really wasnt trying to take you to a place youre not capable of going. Again, thanks in any case.

I am capable of drooling, but just not able to make a serious pick until I know more. I mean I could easily come up with a huge list of players I wouldn't mind seeing in a Broncos uniform.

lex
09-21-2007, 09:06 AM
I am capable of drooling, but just not able to make a serious pick until I know more. I mean I could easily come up with a huge list of players I wouldn't mind seeing in a Broncos uniform.

If youre saying that theres a lot of season left in college football, youre being Cpt Obvious here. We're all aware of that. Not sure what your point is.

LoyalSoldier
09-21-2007, 08:36 PM
If youre saying that theres a lot of season left in college football, youre being Cpt Obvious here. We're all aware of that. Not sure what your point is.

The point is that we don't even have a clue who is going to be in the draft and who isn't. At this point I can't make a reasonable pick because there is no way we will know who we can get. The best I can do is dream.

lex
09-21-2007, 10:54 PM
The point is that we don't even have a clue who is going to be in the draft and who isn't. At this point I can't make a reasonable pick because there is no way we will know who we can get. The best I can do is dream.

Again, we already know theres a lot between now and the draft. Thats been established. Again, not sure what your point is.

LoyalSoldier
09-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Again, we already know theres a lot between now and the draft. Thats been established. Again, not sure what your point is.

THAT YOU ASKED FOR A REASONABLE PICK THAT CAN'T BE REASONABLE AT THIS TIME!

Sheesh how clear do I need to make it.

lex
09-22-2007, 01:54 AM

Again, you keep saying this like its supposed to be a prediction that your going to be held to. Unrealistic would be Darren McFadden or Brian Brohm in the 2nd round or 3rd round. There is admittedly less certainty this early in the season so its reasonable to base it to some degree on some consensus or some other sources. For example if numerous people have Okam as a 1st or 2nd rd pick, its reasonable to think he might be available to us. I dont see what your hang up is.

LoyalSoldier
09-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Again, you keep saying this like its supposed to be a prediction that your going to be held to. Unrealistic would be Darren McFadden or Brian Brohm in the 2nd round or 3rd round. There is admittedly less certainty this early in the season so its reasonable to base it to some degree on some consensus or some other sources. For example if numerous people have Okam as a 1st or 2nd rd pick, its reasonable to think he might be available to us. I dont see what your hang up is.

Because it never says the same. People flunk at the Combine or flourish (how do you think we got Cutler or Lendale White fell so far?) Sometimes someone who was thought to be a low first round suddenly becomes the #1 pick over all.

As such it is completely impossible to make a realistic assessment of anything.

lex
09-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Because it never says the same. People flunk at the Combine or flourish (how do you think we got Cutler or Lendale White fell so far?) Sometimes someone who was thought to be a low first round suddenly becomes the #1 pick over all.

As such it is completely impossible to make a realistic assessment of anything.

A cow says, "moo".

LoyalSoldier
09-22-2007, 05:24 PM
A cow says, "moo".

I like cheese.

Nick
09-26-2007, 06:35 PM
give me deshaun jackson and some rookies to play special teams and get a OG and OT in draft.

Focus on OLB and Saftey Via trade or free agency/disgruntled player... I will be a very happy camper.

Owww and a wide receiver.

I am excited for the draft already :D

broncosinindy
10-01-2007, 10:15 PM

LOL you kill me loyal