PDA

View Full Version : Union proposes offeason changes to adapt to 18-game schedule

Denver Native (Carol)
11-17-2010, 09:36 AM
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/09000d5d81c2b847/article/union-proposes-offeason-changes-to-adapt-to-18game-schedule-?module=HP_headlines

rcsodak
11-17-2010, 10:43 AM
All those moves make sense to me.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lancane
11-17-2010, 11:50 AM
All those moves make sense to me.

Couldn't agree more, nothing really sounds unreasonable thus far...even having two bye weeks in a season. One thing I would like to see the league do is expand the draft from seven to maybe nine rounds, so there are fewer undrafted free agent signings and more draft prospects, especially if there is an expansion in regards to roster capacity, it would even allow more small school programs and divisions to add their ilk to the NFL.

rcsodak
11-17-2010, 12:04 PM
I DUNNO ABOUT 9, CANE. We already see teams trading later round picks away. I think there's already a number of small school players able to find a team as it is. If they're good enough they'll make their own market..... Ie Danny Woodhead, Chadron State Eagles, Chadron, NE

T.K.O.
11-17-2010, 12:07 PM
more players available and a 2nd bye makes alot of sense.players could get extra time to get healthy and teams that start 2-6 could have 10 games to right the ship !:salute:;)

UnderArmour
11-17-2010, 01:44 PM
2 more things I would like to see:
1. Injured Reserve/PUP list changing in format. Players should be able to be added to the PUP list through the pre season, even if they practice and get hurt.
Players should also be able to come off Injured Reserve during the playoffs.

2. The Trade Deadline should be extended to week 14 or 15 in an 18 game season. Blockbuster deals normally do not happen during the standard NFL season but injuries do happen. Teams should be able to make trades that put them in a position to make late season playoff pushes and teams that are down should be able to unload their talent without waiting for the playoffs to be over.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
11-17-2010, 01:45 PM
The 18 game schedule really makes my blood boil in a lot of ways. mainly because it points out the huge hypocrisy by the NFL. They claim to care about all these injuries and want to change rules but yet still want to create an 18 game schedule? I just wish they'd stop pretending to care, because they just want more money. It's a business it's just annoying to deal with

Broncos1988
11-17-2010, 02:19 PM
I see good things and bad things with 18 game season. I can see more injuries for sure. But on the other side the nfl owners will make alot more money. In the end its all just a business. One thing I would like to see if they do the 18 game season is have a 14 team playoff instead of 12....

KCL
11-17-2010, 02:41 PM
I see good things and bad things with 18 game season. I can see more injuries for sure. But on the other side the nfl owners will make alot more money. In the end its all just a business. One thing I would like to see if they do the 18 game season is have a 14 team playoff instead of 12....

Lamar is that you? ;)

Krugan
11-17-2010, 03:09 PM
The only way I, as a fan, would support the expansion to 18 games is if that reduces ticket cost back to us, the fans.

As it sits right now, this is something that only comes to me as money hungry and value increasing to the owners.

Its like how movie tickets used to be 3.50, now you cant get in for under 20 bucks to a new release as a family of 3.

It stinks to me, but im of the mind that things like this are why the country is the way it is. we have over pirced ourselves to the point things have lost value.

BroncoWave
11-17-2010, 03:27 PM
The 18 game schedule really makes my blood boil in a lot of ways. mainly because it points out the huge hypocrisy by the NFL. They claim to care about all these injuries and want to change rules but yet still want to create an 18 game schedule? I just wish they'd stop pretending to care, because they just want more money. It's a business it's just annoying to deal with

Agreed. Goodell is such a hypocrite on this matter it's not even funny. Also add the fact that they have these new helmets out that are proven to substantially lessen the risk of concussions yet players aren't required to wear them. If he really cared about player health why not make those helmets mandatory?

Bosco
11-17-2010, 03:53 PM
I still think this idea sucks.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-17-2010, 03:59 PM

What I understand, to get to the 18 game schedule, they will take away 2 of the preseason games. Good that season ticket holders still have to pay for the same amount of games, but possibly bad because is 2 preseason games enough to sufficiently grade the talent to make sure you are keeping/cutting who you want? Of course, if they expand to larger rosters, this could solve some of this problem.

BCJ
11-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Maybe more scrimmages happen against other teams. I wouldnt mind if 2 of the games are in a neutral site in cities like Anaheim, LA, San Antonio, Birmingham or Mexico City (for those damn Cowboys' fans). Nice if they lowered the season ticket price 5 - 10% to accomodate the extra revenue they will receive. Of course the players are going to get more $ too.

dogfish
11-17-2010, 06:54 PM
two bye weeks is reasonable, and the rosters should be expanded at least to 57. . . you should also be able to dress all of your players on sunday-- always though that rule was retarded. . .

most importantly, the IR rules need to be revised to include a baseball-style disabled list. . . this sport has more injuries than any other, you should be able to rest your hurt players without choosing between giving them up for the season or wasting a roster spot. . . like ayers-- let us fill that spot with a usable body until he's back. . .

dogfish
11-17-2010, 06:55 PM
[/U]

Lamar is that you? ;)

LMFAO!

well played, lady. . .

Joel
11-17-2010, 08:58 PM
It really is that simple, and it's not like this is something new, any more than realignment was. I expected realignment into four team Divisions, and an eighteen game season, the only surprise to me is that the latter has taken this long. The insertion of first one and then two byes seemed like the clincher, but that was so long ago there's only one regular season bye now and the other is reserved for the top two teams in each Conference once the season ends. That's the harsh reality: Expanding the League means more games, or turning it into the NCAA, where 75% of Division IA teams are irrelevant to anyone but alumni and the winningest team of the decade has never been allowed a championship game, let alone won one.

I'm open to suggestions on how we get there (except for the one I dreaded when I first thought about an eighteen game season with four team Divisions: Play your Division twice, your Conference once and the OTHER Conference never). I'm not completely unsympathetic to the players. I do think it worth noting that no one puts a gun to their heads and that the Port of Houston is always hiring if they don't think the NFL is giving them a fair shake. If Congress hadn't voted in a raise effective 1 January, 2001 the NFL MINIMUM wage would be about 40% more than the President of the United States. And they're about to go on strike to protest their wretched working conditions. So maybe it is a LITTLE about the money, yeah, but not just for the owners.

Sometimes I'm reminded (sometimes by myself :tongue: ) of the Simpsons episode with Namath.

Marge: Y'know, Homer, it's really easy to criticize....
Homer: Fun, too.

FanInAZ
11-18-2010, 03:43 AM
I don't care about what specific solutions they come up with, I'm just glad one side is finally making a counter proposal that takes into consideration what the other side wants. This give us hope that they might come to an agreement in time to save the 2011 season.

Nomad
11-18-2010, 07:35 AM
Why should I care about or get wound up for an 18 game season, it offers 2 more weeks of entertainment especially during these long winter months and these guys get paid enough!! This job comes with injuries and like I've heard from former coaches/players and some here, a good HC will have solid backups!!

Nomad
11-18-2010, 07:42 AM
The only way I, as a fan, would support the expansion to 18 games is if that reduces ticket cost back to us, the fans.As it sits right now, this is something that only comes to me as money hungry and value increasing to the owners.

Its like how movie tickets used to be 3.50, now you cant get in for under 20 bucks to a new release as a family of 3.

It stinks to me, but im of the mind that things like this are why the country is the way it is. we have over pirced ourselves to the point things have lost value.

Nothing against you but this is would be a joke to owners sitting around the table smoking stogies!!

Regardless, it goes to 18 or stays at 16, expect the prices to go up! As long as these players get ridiculous contracts and owners get their cash from tv revenue and other sources, they haven't blinked at lowering anything!!

NightTrainLayne
11-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Nothing against you but this is would be a joke to owners sitting around the table smoking stogies!!

Regardless, it goes to 18 or stays at 16, expect the prices to go up! As long as these players get ridiculous contracts and owners get their cash from tv revenue and other sources, they haven't blinked at lowering anything!!

The key is that by going to 18 games 2 pre-season games get converted to regular season games. .. so instead of paying full price for 4 pre-season and 16 regular season games, you get 18 regular season games and only 2 pre-season. .. .that's a better value even if the same or higher price imo.

Krugan
11-18-2010, 11:09 AM

So that is why I dont support it.

Joke to them or not, I have become less and less likely to try and purchase a ticket to a home game(as much as I enjoyed the years my dad had season tickets) as to watching at home.

Im not going to ease up due their own mistakes in overvaluing these players. Stop writing the huge friggin checks and either they will play or go and start a buisness of their own or work for someone else.

First round draft picks making more than vet minimum? Any dafted player making more than a guy who has been in the league for 7 years and shown they can hang is insane.

Maybe they should focus on bringing costs into control instead of looking to expand. Seems to work for the average family, why not a huge buisness.