PDA

View Full Version : Ayers update?

broncofaninfla
11-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Anybody know if Ayers has a chance of playing against da Bolts Monday night? I was VERY happy with the LB play this past weekend, especially Mays in the middle but would feel even better if Ayers came back.

tomjonesrocks
11-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Mays seemed to bring good intensity but could have definitely done without the idiotic 15-yard personal foul he got flagged for.

Was curious about this myself though--when is Ayers expected back? Haven't really heard or read anything new since he was ruled out against the 49ers.

GEM
11-16-2010, 12:20 PM
I'll take Mays' intensity every week, if they can reign in the unnecessary stuff. He reminds me of Al Wilson....spitting fire. :lol:

silkamilkamonico
11-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Mays seemed to bring good intensity but could have definitely done without the idiotic 15-yard personal foul he got flagged for.

I don't think it was idiotic at all. IMHO he was simply reacting to a fumbled football, but because the refs called the play down they had to call the penalty. He made that hit, and 2-3 other players went for the football. They were all reacting to a fumbled football.

The Glue Factory
11-16-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't think it was idiotic at all. IMHO he was simply reacting to a fumbled football, but because the refs called the play down they had to call the penalty. He made that hit, and 2-3 other players went for the football. They were all reacting to a fumbled football.

Whistles kinda sorta tell the players to stop playing. IIRC he had another UR call a few plays later. Once is a mistake, twice is a pattern. I'd be surprised if he didn't get an earful from McD.

silkamilkamonico
11-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Whistles kinda sorta tell the players to stop playing. IIRC he had another UR call a few plays later. Once is a mistake, twice is a pattern. I'd be surprised if he didn't get an earful from McD.

No kidding. McDaniels needs to give an earful to those other Broncos that were trying to jump on the ball as well. Stop playing for crying out loud.

shank
11-16-2010, 12:58 PM

he had a pass interference also, when he hit the TE on the drag route with the ball in the air. on that one, i think he just didn't see the ball come out, and thought he was throwing a legal hit within 5 yards of the LOS.

he was in his first real action, and was probably really amped up on both plays, excited to be out there. i don't blame the guy, and thought he played great.

broncofaninfla
11-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Mays might be a keeper in the middle next to DJ, I'd like to see that tandem with Ayers and Haggan on the outside.

SR
11-16-2010, 01:05 PM
I agree. ^

slim
11-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Mays is a brickhouse.

Nice to have some thump in the middle.

shank
11-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Mays might be a keeper in the middle next to DJ, I'd like to see that tandem with Ayers and Haggan on the outside.

i'd have to agree. haggan looked terrible the first time he shifted outside this season, constantly losing contain... but he looked very good there on sunday. and mays is a bruiser with good instincts. leave em where they're at.

missingnumber7
11-16-2010, 01:31 PM
he had a pass interference also, when he hit the TE on the drag route with the ball in the air. on that one, i think he just didn't see the ball come out, and thought he was throwing a legal hit within 5 yards of the LOS.

he was in his first real action, and was probably really amped up on both plays, excited to be out there. i don't blame the guy, and thought he played great.

Wasn't his first real action, was in Denver, but he started in Philly in several games. He plays hard every play he is on the field. His pass D has been critisized all the way back to college. But he has gotten better, and he is a run first player.

As for the comment about seeing him next to DJ and Ayers and Haggan on the outside...I'm all for this, but if we can get Woodyard back to that would be even better. I would be all for a rotation similiar to what they did in game 3 of the preseason. I think Woody and Joe are perfect compliments to each other and both work well with DJ. Haggan showed why he is an OLB first and that we are basically using his size to fill in. I see a healthy Ayers and Haggan better than Hunter/Ayers anyday.

silkamilkamonico
11-16-2010, 02:42 PM
For Denver to have their best LB core I think Haggan needs to move back to the middle. He's a natural inside, and struggles on the OLB at pass rushing and sealing the edges. Mays is going to be a great rotation guy I think and will always be a great special teamer.

Next year we could be stout with Ayers and Doom on the outside, and DJ and Haggan in the middle, depending on what happens with DJ. Denver doesn't really have another player that can fill his position on the roster.

rcsodak
11-16-2010, 02:53 PM
scott/dave both said those calls were terrible. Wasnt the crowd loud enough to drown out a whistle? Just going by what they said.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rcsodak
11-16-2010, 02:54 PM
No kidding. McDaniels needs to give an earful to those other Broncos that were trying to jump on the ball as well. Stop playing for crying out loud.
:Hi5:

rcsodak
11-16-2010, 03:00 PM
And to think silly McD was gonna draft Mclain.....

Elevation inc
11-16-2010, 05:40 PM
For Denver to have their best LB core I think Haggan needs to move back to the middle. He's a natural inside, and struggles on the OLB at pass rushing and sealing the edges. Mays is going to be a great rotation guy I think and will always be a great special teamer.

Next year we could be stout with Ayers and Doom on the outside, and DJ and Haggan in the middle, depending on what happens with DJ. Denver doesn't really have another player that can fill his position on the roster.

this is why spending a high draft pick on a WILB type player is what we need in the draft and also why MCD tried hard to get butler in rd 2 last year before Sd snagged him.

Haggan and Mays are tailor made for the TED role or 2 down thumper so to speak. we need another guy who can be a legit cover backer, play the run and blitz.....we basically need a DJ clone but with mays and haggan's passion thump and leadership.....Woodyard i love the dude to death isnt a fit for the 3-4 and wont be....so ultimaetly i keep haggan starting inside at TED(haggan is our best rated LB agains the run right now) back him up with mays.....

Let Dj and woodyard work at WILB but groom a high draft pick to be that guy if Dj goes down or is gone, while woodyard holds down special teams thats how we build are depth as well and ensure are front seven Lb's stay solid even if we have injuries

at OLB hunter is a less talenetd ayers but still a solid OLB, keep in mind the guy has been playing OLB for only 8 weeks, still alot of room to grow but he does have a couple sacks and big plays and is a pretty decent run defender.....so at OLB i finally cut moss and get him the hell out of denver.....

then you have doom and Ayers outside, with hunter backing up ayers and a legit draft pick with pass rush skill backing up doom in case of injury(moss doesnt count as a pass rusher)...again this is how you build a front seven...the right way...you dont do it by signing old guys off the street all the time.....

our Lb core really is only missing a ILB and OLB for depth, but they need to be young guys we can start grooming for the future

Montana Battlin Bear
11-16-2010, 05:52 PM
i cannot wait to have doom back next year with an improved ayers opposite him

The Glue Factory
11-16-2010, 08:50 PM
this is why spending a high draft pick on a WILB type player is what we need in the draft and also why MCD tried hard to get butler in rd 2 last year before Sd snagged him.

Haggan and Mays are tailor made for the TED role or 2 down thumper so to speak. we need another guy who can be a legit cover backer, play the run and blitz.....we basically need a DJ clone but with mays and haggan's passion thump and leadership.....Woodyard i love the dude to death isnt a fit for the 3-4 and wont be....so ultimaetly i keep haggan starting inside at TED(haggan is our best rated LB agains the run right now) back him up with mays.....

Let Dj and woodyard work at WILB but groom a high draft pick to be that guy if Dj goes down or is gone, while woodyard holds down special teams thats how we build are depth as well and ensure are front seven Lb's stay solid even if we have injuries

at OLB hunter is a less talenetd ayers but still a solid OLB, keep in mind the guy has been playing OLB for only 8 weeks, still alot of room to grow but he does have a couple sacks and big plays and is a pretty decent run defender.....so at OLB i finally cut moss and get him the hell out of denver.....

then you have doom and Ayers outside, with hunter backing up ayers and a legit draft pick with pass rush skill backing up doom in case of injury(moss doesnt count as a pass rusher)...again this is how you build a front seven...the right way...you dont do it by signing old guys off the street all the time.....

our Lb core really is only missing a ILB and OLB for depth, but they need to be young guys we can start grooming for the future

And what do you do if you can't get the guys you want to fill those roles through the draft? In other words, it's great if life cooperates, but it doesn't always happen. Such as not many LBs in the draft and our draft position is too late to get them. Not sure what next years draft class looks like, just positing a hypothetical.

Elevation inc
11-17-2010, 02:48 AM
And what do you do if you can't get the guys you want to fill those roles through the draft? In other words, it's great if life cooperates, but it doesn't always happen. Such as not many LBs in the draft and our draft position is too late to get them. Not sure what next years draft class looks like, just positing a hypothetical.

the class is solid and we have 4 picks in the first 3 rds and will most certainly add more.....i guarentee we will go for a WILB......

Bosco
11-17-2010, 03:51 AM
Let Dj and woodyard work at WILB but groom a high draft pick to be that guy if Dj goes down or is gone, while woodyard holds down special teams thats how we build are depth as well and ensure are front seven Lb's stay solid even if we have injuries Huh?

D.J is signed through 2013 and you don't draft LB's to groom unless it's someone like Ayers who is going through a position change, and that's not going to be the case with a WILB. I don't know what gives you the impression that Woodyard isn't a good fit for the 3-4 either. He did just fine backing D.J up last year.

Elevation inc
11-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Huh?

D.J is signed through 2013 and you don't draft LB's to groom unless it's someone like Ayers who is going through a position change, and that's not going to be the case with a WILB. I don't know what gives you the impression that Woodyard isn't a good fit for the 3-4 either. He did just fine backing D.J up last year.

lol actually woodyard was horrible last year against both the run and in coverage....and i love the dude but a 3-4 ILB he is not....he Can not shed blocks....Dj couldnt either very well untill this year and still at times doesnt give the effort there...

Simply put MCD went after Butler last year in rd 2 a WILB even when he had woodyard and Dj so yes he is considering very strongly getting anotehr hig hWILB...thats for a reason bud, or do you know better than the coaching staff????

on a side note at least my call for moss being cut finally came to light

Bosco
11-17-2010, 03:33 PM
lol actually woodyard was horrible last year against both the run and in coverage....and i love the dude but a 3-4 ILB he is not....he Can not shed blocks....Dj couldnt either very well untill this year and still at times doesnt give the effort there... I don't know where you are getting that analysis from, but it's pretty blatantly wrong. Woodyard has always done a decent job of shedding blocks and his role in the 3-4 isn't much different than when he was looking like a legit starter as a 4-3 WILL in 2008.

Simply put MCD went after Butler last year in rd 2 a WILB even when he had woodyard and Dj so yes he is considering very strongly getting anotehr hig hWILB...thats for a reason bud, or do you know better than the coaching staff???? And I asked you to source this before and you didn't do it. Can you actually back up these claims?

rcsodak
11-17-2010, 03:39 PM
lol actually woodyard was horrible last year against both the run and in coverage....and i love the dude but a 3-4 ILB he is not....he Can not shed blocks....Dj couldnt either very well untill this year and still at times doesnt give the effort there...

Simply put MCD went after Butler last year in rd 2 a WILB even when he had woodyard and Dj so yes he is considering very strongly getting anotehr hig hWILB...thats for a reason bud, or do you know better than the coaching staff????

on a side note at least my call for moss being cut finally came to light
lol. You act like you were alone in that. :lol:

MileHighCrew
11-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Sorry guys, been writing those two together for so many weeks. Yes, Robert Ayers was at practice. Goodman was not.
about 2 hours ago via TweetDeck

Lindsay Jones Twitter

Elevation inc
11-18-2010, 04:03 AM
lol. You act like you were alone in that. :lol:

i wasn't trying to imply it was my call that made it happen, although i do concede thats how it sounds what i meant more is thank god it finally happened:beer:

Elevation inc
11-18-2010, 04:15 AM
I don't know where you are getting that analysis from, but it's pretty blatantly wrong. Woodyard has always done a decent job of shedding blocks and his role in the 3-4 isn't much different than when he was looking like a legit starter as a 4-3 WILL in 2008.

And I asked you to source this before and you didn't do it. Can you actually back up these claims?

I was looking at the wrong LB line and matter of fact your are 100% correct bosco...and im a fool for not paying attention to my source and saying your wrong, it was actually DJ that played bad last year not woodyard.

woodyard had a +4.2 rating against the run, a 2.1 rating in coverage where as DJ had a -6.8 rating against the run and a -7.1 rating in coverage.....i have them backwards, you are correct

according to profootball focus....

sorry for the slip up:beer:

it actually seems we went after Butler because of DJ not woodyard.....or perhaps we went for butler because we dont want to always rely on just a 2 down thumper at TED but want a 3 down guy there.....

missingnumber7
11-18-2010, 11:00 AM
it actually seems we went after Butler because of DJ not woodyard.....or perhaps we went for butler because we dont want to always rely on just a 2 down thumper at TED but want a 3 down guy there.....

Most TED's aren't pass guys, Picking up Mays was huge, especially for what we gave away. And we got a solid ST player out of it who has turned into a contributer because of injury. Where was Haggan before Dooms injury? Aydoloye (sp) was still on the team, and was starting with DJ inside, and Ayers was on the outside with Doom, then Doom got hurt and he was there. I think we have a great set now, when Doom comes back next year we have a group of ILB's that we can rotate and Haggan can play either side if Ayers or Doom is injured, Mays and Woodyard are both solid ILB's. I hope that they move Haggan back to OLB, and our LB's for the rest of the season are Ayers, Haggan, DJ/Woodyard/Mays.

rcsodak
11-18-2010, 11:11 AM
i wasn't trying to imply it was my call that made it happen, although i do concede thats how it sounds what i meant more is thank god it finally happened:beer:
just razzin' ya, EI. :D