PDA

View Full Version : Yo Dogfish,... Lets get a big ups for our man...

underrated29
08-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Andre Hall!

Woot Woot- that man tore some shit up last night. Not the greatest effort by him, but selvin your days are numbered.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Our little MJD. Yay!

lex
08-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Andre Hall!

Woot Woot- that man tore some shit up last night. Not the greatest effort by him, but selvin your days are numbered.

I like Hall too but I dont see whats so bad about Selvin. He has big time production for what he's paid, plus he has demonstrated great game awareness as was evident in his first game as a pro against the Bills, which was also his first game as a pro. It should be easy for guys like that to find a spot on the team as long as theyre not breaking the bank.

LRtagger
08-17-2008, 05:43 PM
It will be a great 1-2 punch...no matter which one "starts". Mix Torrain as a 3rd option when he gets healthy and we will have a very good rushing attack.

dogfish
08-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Andre Hall!

hell yea!

absolutely. . . .

i agree with lex, there's nothing wrong with selvin, but i myself am beginning to think that hall should be the starter. . . i think he has better straight-line speed than young, and despite being smaller i think he runs tougher between the tackles. . . he has thicker legs and a lower center of gravity, just as much burst if not more, and he churns his legs and fights for extra yards. . . he's decisive, and i think he fits quite well in the ZBS. . .

shenanigans has never been hesitant to use the back that he thinks has the hot hand, and starting quentin griffin shows that he isn't afraid to put a smaller back out there. . . hall got at least as many reps with the ones as selvin did, and that makes me think that mike wanted to get a look at him and is probably considering him for that role. . .

good thread!

:D

Northman
08-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Hall has been impressive but its still preseason.

Lonestar
08-17-2008, 07:28 PM
hell yea!

absolutely. . . .

i agree with lex, there's nothing wrong with selvin, but i myself am beginning to think that hall should be the starter. . . i think he has better straight-line speed than young, and despite being smaller i think he runs tougher between the tackles. . . he has thicker legs and a lower center of gravity, just as much burst if not more, and he churns his legs and fights for extra yards. . . he's decisive, and i think he fits quite well in the ZBS. . .

shenanigans has never been hesitant to use the back that he thinks has the hot hand, and starting quentin griffin shows that he isn't afraid to put a smaller back out there. . . hall got at least as many reps with the ones as selvin did, and that makes me think that mike wanted to get a look at him and is probably considering him for that role. . .

good thread!

:D

YOU could be right however do either of these guys have 20+carries per game capability 16 games a year?

I was always a Q fan thought he was great Little runner but later became to believe the Truth was he just did not have the strength to handle more that 3rd down stuff for a long term goal in the NFL.

I will always wonder what would have happened had the broken ankle in his rookie year and had he not torn the ACL the next year..

I hope torain can come back this year about the time these two break down from all of the carries they will be getting.

MHCBill
08-17-2008, 07:30 PM
For the record... Hall has been listed in my sig as the starter since March... after the showing in Chicago last year I was sold.

He's tough... has good vision... leg drive... and typically falls forward when hit. Good traits to have... sortof like some guy by the initials of TD. No, Hall will never be TD, but he should start and Selvin should get 8-10 touches a game too.

JMO...

dogfish
08-17-2008, 08:12 PM
YOU could be right however do either of these guys have 20+carries per game capability 16 games a year?

no way to say for sure, but probably not. . .

of course, smaller guys like tiki barber have proven to be much more effective workhorses than plenty of bigger guys, so you never know until you put it to the test. . . mike bell was in the 220 range, and was so poorly conditioned that he'd go to the sidelines heaving for breathe after one series, and have to sit out the next one. . .

ultimately, i think we all knew that this was likely to be another year of RBBC from the day that henry got the axe, and that's exactly how it looks right now. . .

claymore
08-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Young aint goin nowhere. We dont want Hall wore out on 3rd down and bring in young. Both are a talent but hall aint an every down backkkkkkkkk.............. Yet, but damn Im impressed.

Lonestar
08-17-2008, 08:20 PM
no way to say for sure, but probably not. . .

of course, smaller guys like tiki barber have proven to be much more effective workhorses than plenty of bigger guys, so you never know until you put it to the test. . . mike bell was in the 220 range, and was so poorly conditioned that he'd go to the sidelines heaving for breathe after one series, and have to sit out the next one. . .

ultimately, i think we all knew that this was likely to be another year of RBBC from the day that henry got the axe, and that's exactly how it looks right now. . .

but look at those OLINES for NYG and the Eagles.. when your not getting killed head up by the DT and in alot of cases the DB or in some cases the LB's from behind it makes a lot of difference in the toll it takes on the body..

I just hope they have enought bodies to make till we can get a bigger RB in there to take some hits.. All of the running outside like on the cowgirls will end if we can't keep the middle honest..

Dreadnought
08-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Honestly I like both of them, and I'm perfectly content that a Hall/Young or a Young/Hall rotation will work fine once this O-line gets some more reps. Mix in Torain later on and we are in pretty good shape here.

Slick
08-17-2008, 08:24 PM
I agree Jr. I still think we need a big body to tote the rock...take some of the pressure off Young and Hall. .

G Money made a great point in another thread, about us running to the outside because of the 3-4 defense. We simply haven't had success running up the middle against it, stemming all the way back to the AFC Championship against the Steelers. I think that's why we saw the playcalling we did last night.

dogfish
08-17-2008, 08:34 PM
unless my memory is faulty (i'm gonna re-watch the whole game at some point), that TD run by hall went between the tackles. . . .

:woot:

claymore
08-17-2008, 08:36 PM
unless my memory is faulty (i'm gonna re-watch the whole game at some point), that TD run by hall went between the tackles. . . .

It did....... I was shocked. Absolutely shocked.

dogfish
08-17-2008, 08:45 PM
FWIW, nfl.com lists hall as 210 pounds, 7 pounds heavier than brian westbrook-- and 23 pounds heavier than warrick dunn. . . he had 296 touches his last year in college, although i'm aware that it's a tougher game at the pro level. . .

now, don't get me wrong. . . i would also prefer a bigger back (remember, i was a big advocate of drafting jonathon stewart!). . . i'm as concerned about hall's long-term durability as the next guy, and i'm aware that warrick dunn is an anomoly. . . however, his career does prove that occasionally a smaller guy comes along that can stand up to the pounding, and i'm not going to write hall off until we get a chance to see what he can do. . . in the end, the first thing on my priority list is a guy that has some skill, a guy that'll run hard when he's in there and make some plays for us-- i do think hall is that kind of guy, and i'd rather give him a shot than pittman, or mike bell. . .

Broncos Mtnman
08-17-2008, 08:59 PM
I know that a bigger back would be popular with some, but Hall plays bigger than his size.

My friend and I kept referring to him as "the Mule" because he "hauled ass" every time he carried the ball. He also displays an ability to knock the defender on his butt when necessary.

I am very comfortable with him and Selvin as our backs, along with Pittman being the "heavy" when we need it.

:beer:

omac
08-17-2008, 09:12 PM
What I like about Hall, aside from his strong running, is that he seems to play even lower to the ground, so it's like he's the one giving the hits, not really the one taking the hits. He doesn't give the defense much of a target, and it almost seemed like he sneaked into the endzone. :D

dogfish
08-17-2008, 09:29 PM
I know that a bigger back would be popular with some, but Hall plays bigger than his size.

you know what they say. . .

it's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters. . . .

but whether or not vick trained him to be vicious enough!

underrated29
08-17-2008, 09:36 PM
yea booyyy!

No, dogfish and I have been repping on hall jock since late last year. Its great that our boy finally gets to get some good PT.

Selvins days are not numbered on the team. They are numbered as being the starter. Its dante's job right now.

As far as our rbs- I have said in other threads that i think it will be torain 20+ carries and hall the other 10-15.

I have never really been a fan of the smaller backs. And i still like selvin a lot, but i like hall more, and i feel that torain is best suited for what we need.

But on topic.

GO HALL!!!!!

Keep running through tackles and burning by the defense.

atwater27
08-17-2008, 11:29 PM
I have been an admirer of Hall since he took full advantage of his opportunity to shine last season vs Tennessee and Chicago. Guy has touched the ball 46 times and has 2 60 plus yard plays and 2 TD's. I also like Selvin. We need to reserve judgement for these guys until they prove that they CAN'T get the job done. They have proved so far that they can, and that they are very explosive, productive and fast. And that was as rookies.
So what if they are proven to "Not be able to take 30 carries a game".
WE GOT 2 OF THEM!!! We can split it to 15 a piece, or hell, 20 a piece if we are rollin.
What is the big deal?

Simple Jaded
08-17-2008, 11:33 PM

Yeah, watch it again, dogfish, Hall's effort was damn good but Weigman was outstanding on, not only that run, but the 4th and inches the play before. Clady too......

atwater27
08-17-2008, 11:34 PM
I also don't quite understand how Torain is all the sudden, automatically,with a rough injury history and without ever having taken a snap, supposed to take right over like Young and Hall don't even exist. Cracks me up.

LordTrychon
08-17-2008, 11:39 PM
yea booyyy!

No, dogfish and I have been repping on hall jock since late last year. Its great that our boy finally gets to get some good PT.

Selvins days are not numbered on the team. They are numbered as being the starter. Its dante's job right now.

As far as our rbs- I have said in other threads that i think it will be torain 20+ carries and hall the other 10-15.

I have never really been a fan of the smaller backs. And i still like selvin a lot, but i like hall more, and i feel that torain is best suited for what we need.

But on topic.

GO HALL!!!!!

Keep running through tackles and burning by the defense.

You just call him Dante? :laugh:

dogfish
08-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Yeah, watch it again, dogfish, Hall's effort was damn good but Weigman was outstanding on, not only that run, but the 4th and inches the play before. Clady too......

good point. . . i just posted in another thread that i thought weigmann was solid-- in fact, i thought the interior OL as a whole was doing a pretty nice job of getting movement in the running game. . . i thought sapp had a pretty nice block on the TD as well. . .

honz
08-18-2008, 12:01 AM
I also don't quite understand how Torain is all the sudden, automatically,with a rough injury history and without ever having taken a snap, supposed to take right over like Young and Hall don't even exist. Cracks me up.
Has anybody said that?:whoknows:

mopatt24
08-18-2008, 01:40 AM

according to this piece, looks like he was on his way:

There were feelings of resentment when the team celebrity asked to be released from his contract.

When the elder locker-room statesman bolted for another team, fans felt a sense of rejection, abandonment. It smacked of hypocrisy.

"It is true that our hero has treated us rather shabbily at the end," read the local newspaper. "He has gone off, without asking us about it, and made himself a deal in a foreign land to the east. It is probably true that our former idol has been crafty, calculating, even a little deceitful with us."

John Lynch leaving the Broncos for the New England Patriots?

No. Vince Lombardi leaving the Green Bay Packers as general manager in 1969 to become coach of the Washington Redskins.

It seems even the greatest of men, the most honorable of football characters, are capable of ignoble exits.

Despite his recent disappearance, Lynch is one of the finest men I've covered in sports. During his four years as the Broncos' starting free safety, he has always been accommodating, thoughtful and temperate off the field.

Aside from coach Mike Shanahan, Lynch was the most recognizable face of the franchise. Jay Cutler may be the quarterback and Champ Bailey may be the best player. But Lynch got most of the TV time.

In the manner in which he left Denver, however, Lynch erred. Once he accepted the Broncos' pay cut in March, it became impossible for him to leave here gracefully.

Playing time was no longer the point. When he put on a Patriots' uniform Friday, it became about choosing sides.

Lynch and the rest of the country are probably right: The Broncos aren't as good as the Patriots. But to the people in Denver, only the Broncos are No. 1. By leaving the Broncos and making "himself a deal in a foreign land to the east," as the Wisconsin State Journal once said of Lombardi, and reprinted in the biography of the Packers coaching legend by David Maraniss, Lynch jilted a significant portion of his former fan base.

Not

Post Poll - Patriots' Lynch

What do you think of former Broncos safety John Lynch signing with the New England Patriots?

Smart move by New England coach Bill Belichick to add a Pro Bowl-caliber player to an already talented team that is a Super Bowl contender.
Broncos coach Mike Shanahan was right to release the disgruntled Lynch.

all of it, but enough to have dented what had been an impeccable reputation.
In time, Lombardi was forgiven in Wisconsin. Reflection almost always focuses on what a man did, not how he left. Eventually, Lynch will be fondly remembered here, too.

Just not before the Monday night game, Oct. 20, at Gillette Stadium.

Camp recap

The biggest stories from the Broncos' training camp that ended Friday were the official retirement of Rod Smith, Lynch's surprise exit and Brandon Marshall's suspension.

Less ballyhooed but far more devastating to the Broncos' playoff pursuit was the injury to rookie running back Ryan Torain.

Selvin Young and Andre Hall will form a nice tailback tandem this season, but it was becoming clear Torain was about to become the Broncos' featured back when he suffered a dislocated elbow.

At 225 pounds, Torain was big enough to bounce off the first tackler and quick enough to execute the Broncos' vaunted downhill cut. With Torain at the lead, the slashing speed of Young, Hall and rookie Anthony Alridge would have made ideal complements.
But now that the Broncos have lost the troubled Travis Henry, who was released in May, and Torain, who is out three months following surgery, the Broncos' may start with the league's smallest set of tailbacks in Young and Hall, who have to eat an extra dinner to get past 210, and Alridge, who is listed at 185.

The Age of the Dump off

It is getting tougher and tougher to compare quarterbacks of different eras. According to STATS, the league-wide completion percentage was 61.2 last season, an NFL record. Roger Staubach, considered the most accurate of the pure passers in the 1970s, only once topped 60 percent in his 11-year career. Terry Bradshaw never completed better than 57.7 percent in his 13 full seasons.

Meanwhile, the average gain per completion last season was 11.2 yards, a record low.

Compare that to Joe Namath's landmark passing season of 1967, when he passed for 4,007 yards. It took another 11 years, and an expansion from a 14-game season to 16 games, before another quarterback surpassed 4,000 yards. Namath completed 52.5 percent of his passes in 1967, averaging 15.5 yards a completion.

Thanks to Bill Walsh and the West Coast offense that took the league by flare, only one of 33 quarterbacks qualifying for the passing title completed less than 52.5 percent last year - Kellen Clemens, at 52.0 percent.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10224248
--------------------

I like Hall and Young, but I dont feel comfortable with either of these guys becoming the feature back. The search may continue.

Dont knock on me all at once, but Dallas's Keon Lattimore has caught my eye. Likely to be the odd man out in D, I think we should take a look at him. He has good size at 5'11 230lbs, and is pretty darn quick. Thoughts?