PDA

View Full Version : Orton and Lloyd, playing for each other?

robert ethan
11-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Revenge of the outcasts. No one took these two seriously up to this point of their careers, and I'm sure both are aware that they are short term for Denver with Tebow and Thomas on the horizon.

Nice story. Two buddies making each other a lot of money. Hope it continues.:beer:

Broncolingus
11-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Orton and Lloyd, playing for each other?

Man, I totally misread a word the first time I skimmed that title...

...and it was funnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

:D

robert ethan
11-15-2010, 01:56 PM
I guess you could also say they are playing with each other. Pitch and catch. Both guys playing at Pro Bowl level. Who needs Cutler and Marshall?

shank
11-15-2010, 01:56 PM
I guess you could also say they are playing with each other. Pitch and catch. Both guys playing at Pro Bowl level. Who needs Cutler and Marshall?

who?

ogplife
11-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Why do you feel DT affects Lloyd? Most teams will invest money into 2 good receivers, if they have them.

robert ethan
11-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Pretty sure the Broncs see DeMaryius as their number one guy in the very near future. Lloyd better pile up the yardage while he can.

BroncoWave
11-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Why do you feel DT affects Lloyd? Most teams will invest money into 2 good receivers, if they have them.

Agreed. I don't see Lloyd going anywhere. He is one of the most lethal deep threats in the NFL and seems by all accounts to be a good team guy.

camdisco24
11-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Agreed. I don't see Lloyd going anywhere. He is one of the most lethal deep threats in the NFL and seems by all accounts to be a good team guy.

Agreed. If anyone is short term, it has to be Orton. And at this point, im not sure I could argue that he's short term either.
Lloyd will be with the Broncos for a while if he keeps playing like this.

MileHighCrew
11-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Thomas Lloyd Royal and Decker are the future. How Tebow and Orton work out in the future... wait and see

Jake Klug
11-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Lloyd is one of the few guys McDaniels has brought in that has performed beyond expectations. And he cant make that much. When they traded Marshall, the overall depth of the receivers has been what has offset losing Marshall...if anything has. I think it would be a mistake to lose that depth. Denver should continue to hedge its bets with Royal, Lloyd, Thomas, Gaffney, and Decker. If anyone's production falls off, someone could step up.

If theres anything that has been learned from the offensive and defensive lines this year its that this current regime still has a long way to go in terms of assessing what they have on the roster. The Hillis trade alone proves that, but more specific to who has been playing to Denver, they really needed to be right about the two rookies being ready to play on the OLine. They werent. They also needed to be right on Moreno. They missed on that too. And so, I would have big worries about the current regime pointing to 2 or 3 WRs and saying, "those are the guys we're going with" since theyve been big time wrong on that kind of thing before.

This regime needs to hedge its bets and rely on depth as much as possible. This is also why the Jarvis Green signing hurt and why trading DJ Williams could be a big mistake.

robert ethan
11-15-2010, 02:36 PM
I agree about the coaching staff misjudging the O line, but not on Moreno. Perhaps he was taken higher than he should have been, but he did lead all rookie rushers last season, and finished second for OROTY. That is not failure. This season he has been nicked and the blocking hasn't been there for any Bronco runner. But he is just 23 and his best years are ahead.

As for the O line, I guess McDaniels just decided to bite the bullet and build for the future. That isn't much consolation to the veterans who have to pay the price this year, but realistically I don't think Josh expects guys like Orton, Lloyd, Gaffney, and Graham to be around when he has a championship caliber team. Hopefully they all land on their feet elsewhere.

topscribe
11-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Revenge of the outcasts. No one took these two seriously up to this point of their careers, and I'm sure both are aware that they are short term for Denver with Tebow and Thomas on the horizon.

Nice story. Two buddies making each other a lot of money. Hope it continues.:beer:

Oh? Well, they're both playing among the elites at their respective positions. So
who says either one is short term?

-----

tomjonesrocks
11-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Lloyd has been revelation--one of the few undebatable bright spots of the season. What's his contract situation?

BroncoWave
11-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Lloyd has been revelation--one of the few undebatable bright spots of the season. What's his contract situation?

He is signed for this season and next, about 1 million per.

honz
11-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Playing for each other rather than the team? Sounds pretty selfish. Hopefully they are the next egomaniacs shipped out of town.

robert ethan
11-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Playing for each other rather than the team? Sounds pretty selfish. Hopefully they are the next egomaniacs shipped out of town.

Not really. I think they're both good guys. But look at the facts. Orton has seen two former first round QBs brought in during the off season. Lloyd has seen the team use two premium draft picks at his position. If they don't take care of each other, no one else will.

BroncoWave
11-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Honz next year for the BF Awards I am giving you master baiter an not even putting it to a vote. You are really on your A game today!

robert ethan
11-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Honz next year for the BF Awards I am giving you master baiter an not even putting it to a vote. You are really on your A game today!

He's up for both the master baiter and the jerk off awards. It's been a great season for him so far.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Pretty sure the Broncs see DeMaryius as their number one guy in the very near future. Lloyd better pile up the yardage while he can.

I can see DT taking Gaffney's spot before Lloyd if he keeps playing like he is. Sooner or later, both Gaffney and Lloyd (who's contract is up at the end of the season) is going to want to get paid. I worry that Lloyd will shut it down after he gets paid, but his talent level clearly surpasses Gaffney's. I wouldn't mind seeing Gaffney let go rather than signed to an expensive long-term deal, especially if DT is ready (which I think he is).

DT is the future. Gaffney and Lloyd are the now.

topscribe
11-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Not really. I think they're both good guys. But look at the facts. Orton has seen two former first round QBs brought in during the off season. Lloyd has seen the team use two premium draft picks at his position. If they don't take care of each other, no one else will.

It seems to me Orton looks for the open man, and Lloyd is the best receiver
they have, so he is open a lot. I think they are interested at this point in
taking care of the Denver Broncos . . .

-----

gobroncsnv
11-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Still MARVELING at that first (or so) catch he made, bracketed by DB's, and he goes THROUGH the defender for the ball... then his tap dance for his TD catch left side of the end zone. For some of the ones that Josh may have missed on, he sure got this one right. Lloyd has put an entire game together, and it makes it hard to wait for when they fully unleash DT and him... Don't know if we have a running game yet, but sure have a couple of butt-kickers at wide out. Not to mention Eddie, but this one's about Lloyd (and some clown named Orton?)...The way previous games had gone, sure made yesterday's fun to watch.

PAINTERDAVE
11-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Lloyd is the BEST wideout in the league right now.
Spectacular catches...

The guy deserves an extension...

Canmore
11-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Lloyd is the BEST wideout in the league right now.
Spectacular catches...

The guy deserves an extension...

Lloyd is playing lights out. I hope the FO pays him.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-16-2010, 12:36 AM
Lloyd is playing lights out. I hope the FO pays him.

I shudder to think of it. I really think Lloyd will revert to his old form if he gets a big payday. Getting low-balled is keeping him hungry, IMO.

Canmore
11-16-2010, 03:15 AM
I shudder to think of it. I really think Lloyd will revert to his old form if he gets a big payday. Getting low-balled is keeping him hungry, IMO.

I think Lloyd has finally come into his own. I'm not advocating paying him this year but next year (whenever that happens) if he continues his production.

Elevation inc
11-16-2010, 09:06 AM
im not sure denver will send a big deal lloyds way......and i dont think lloyd would even really care to be honest....the reason he said he likes it here is because Kyle throws him the ball..and this is the first team he has ever been where the give him oppurtunities......and MCd is a coach who took a chance. If im not mistaken he was signed before the season anyway to a 2 year extension which means we have him next year as well...we could just add on a extra year and throw in a bonus at seasons end to still keep it cheap....and affordable but give brandon a deserved raise....which i do belive denver would consider doing....

HORSEPOWER 56
11-16-2010, 09:09 AM
I think Lloyd has finally come into his own. I'm not advocating paying him this year but next year (whenever that happens) if he continues his production.

That "if" is what scares the hell out of me. I'm worried he'll do what he did in Washington and basically stop working once he gets his next fat contract. I'd love to be able to say he's here for the long term and will keep playing like this and if he does, I would no doubt think he's worth it, but I keep looking into his past and it makes me hesitate.

Of all the Broncos players, Lloyd is the one I'm the most unsure of what I'd do about his future. Love the way he's playing, hate his checkered past when it comes to football performance. Like the Marshall situation you LOVE the talent, but HATE the history.

It's almost like a team taking a chance on DJ Williams right now (if he was outplaying a low-money deal) and offering him a nice big contract knowing he has 2 DUIs. Will he get another or has he truly made the commitment not to? It's a huge risk. Has Lloyd made the commitment to football and the Broncos, or is he just playing his ass off right now so he can get paid and use the money to try to be a rapper again?

PAINTERDAVE
11-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Or is this taste of extreme success make him want to be the best he can be?

Positive energy attracts poistive outcomes.

Kind of interesting when a guy has such great success...
and people still question his motivation and motives.

Love of game or love of money?

why can't there be a balance.... does it have to be one or the other?

Sure he wants to get paid... but why assume if he does that he would then become complacent and less than what he now knows he can be?

topscribe
11-16-2010, 10:06 AM
There are such things as incentives, too. A contract can be structured to
assure a good return based on production . . .

-----

Lancane
11-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Lloyd is not going anywhere, he's an eight year veteran who has not had one season that could be considered really promising until now. He's for the first time actually succeeding at his position and knows without a doubt that most teams will not pay top dollar for one years production, Marshall had a hard time getting paid for a few years of being one of the league's best, and he was still young. He'll be entering his ninth season, he's in the twilight of his career and I'm sure he wants a ring as well...Lloyd is likely playing for himself, not Orton or McDaniels, just for himself, so he knows his own worth. If he continues to do that, Denver will likely keep him till he decides to retire.

robert ethan
11-16-2010, 09:55 PM
I think Lloyd led the 49ers in catches a couple times while he was there. They just didn't have a QB or any kind of a passing offense at the time. Washington traded a 3rd and a 4th round pick for him while he was with the 49ers. Moss was traded for a 3rd and a 4th round pick, but that was two different times....:)