PDA

View Full Version : Burger Bill's (ESPN) reports on Jay's performance.

Dean
08-17-2008, 07:19 AM
ESPN is finally forced (12 for 12) to say something positive about the Broncos. It looks like Jay may force the media to acknowledge that quality football is played in the Rockies.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-2-288/Cutler-completes-his-first-12-pass-attempts.html

SR
08-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Jay was ice last night. He tore up Dallas big time. Pretty impressive considering they practiced against them for two full days. That game excited me. Our special teams is still kind of vanilla, but our offense is pretty damn good and our first team D looked decent. As far as MLB goes, Webster needs to start. I've been high on Niko since we brought him over, but he just looks lost to me.

Scarface
08-17-2008, 08:13 AM
For tonight, at least, he was the best player on the field in Denver's game against the Dallas Cowboys.

These are the kind of quotes everyone needs to get used to. Cutler is going to dominate.

SR
08-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Cutler has always gotten love from ESPN. I'm not sure why this is coming as a surprise to anyone. It's the Broncos as a whole that seem to be the red headed step children to ESPN.

Poet
08-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Cutler has always gotten love from ESPN. I'm not sure why this is coming as a surprise to anyone. It's the Broncos as a whole that seem to be the red headed step children to ESPN.

They have more positive things to say about the Raiders then you guys.

Which strikes me as odd, seeing how the Raiders number one WR is a guy who couldn't hack it as a Bronco.

SR
08-17-2008, 09:39 AM
They have more positive things to say about the Raiders then you guys.

Which strikes me as odd, seeing how the Raiders number one WR is a guy who couldn't hack it as a Bronco.

Like I said, ESPN never gives the Broncos any love, but they've always had high regards for Cutler.

Poet
08-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Like I said, ESPN never gives the Broncos any love, but they've always had high regards for Cutler.

I think they had love for Cutler because he was the QB without the hype out of Young and Leinart. A lot of ESPN guys picked him to be the stud of the three, and all that jazz.

They may have been right.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-17-2008, 09:50 AM
they are right.

SR
08-17-2008, 10:18 AM
I think they had love for Cutler because he was the QB without the hype out of Young and Leinart. A lot of ESPN guys picked him to be the stud of the three, and all that jazz.

Regardless, Cutler IS the best of the three from a pure QB standard. Best athlete of the three? No. Best QB of the three? Most definitely.

That's fine with me if Denver doesn't get any love from ESPN. The less love they get the better they look when they win the Bowl again.

Poet
08-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Regardless, Cutler IS the best of the three from a pure QB standard. Best athlete of the three? No. Best QB of the three? Most definitely.

That's fine with me if Denver doesn't get any love from ESPN. The less love they get the better they look when they win the Bowl again.

I would agree with that. Young should have him beat, but it's his mechanics that holds him back. He also runs a bit too much. Is probably not going to pull the Steve McNair and become a pocket passer.

Matt Leinart's arm is too weak. I know you don't need a huge arm, but eventually you are going to have to force a pass at the end of a game. Whether it's 10 yards or 60.

I hear you on that. I am going to will my team to win the SB. Whether or not I have to slaughter the rest of the AFC or not =p.

SR
08-17-2008, 11:27 AM
King, the Bengals aren't even close to the playoffs, let alone the big game. ;)

Poet
08-17-2008, 11:29 AM
King, the Bengals aren't even close to the playoffs, let alone the big game. ;)

They have a better shot at it this year then you guys do.;)

They will get in through the wild card.

I would make a friendly wager with you about it if you wish.

Simple Jaded
08-17-2008, 11:58 AM

I don't know about anybody else, but I get nauseated by players that are instantly over-hyped. *cough*Torain*cough*

Leinart, Young, Bush, Ferguson, Huff, Davis and Hawk got all the hype going into that draft yet Cutler (And Mario Williams) so far has been better than all of them.

I don't get the criticism of ESPN......

lex
08-17-2008, 12:05 PM
I don't know about anybody else, but I get nauseated by players that are instantly over-hyped. *cough*Torain*cough*

Leinart, Young, Bush, Ferguson, Huff, Davis and Hawk got all the hype going into that draft yet Cutler (And Mario Williams) so far has been better than all of them.

To answer this question about E!SPN, check out this quote from Hank Steinbrenner:

"Red Sox Nation?" What a bunch of [expletive] that is," he said in an interview with The New York Times' Play magazine. "That was a creation of the Red Sox and ESPN, which is filled with Red Sox fans.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3271124

Those same Red Sox fans that pollute ESPN are also typically Pats fans. If youre a Pats fan, the Broncos are a team that gets under your skin.

Simple Jaded
08-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Let's hope the Broncos continue to get under ESPN's skin this season......

topscribe
08-17-2008, 12:32 PM

I knew before they drafted him that Cutler was the best QB of the class,
and I was on pins and needles until I heard his name in conjunction with
the Denver Broncos.

But I don't understand your comment regarding "hype" about Torain, ol' buddy.
He was a 5th-round draft choice. No one, except a few posters on some
message boards, was talking him up a lot. His "hype" came from his
performance in camp, which was pretty stellar from reports that I got. :whoknows:

-----

Poet
08-17-2008, 12:39 PM

A.J. Hawk is a phenomenal player. He has had 100 tackles in both his seasons. So far, he has outperformed Cutler.

SR
08-17-2008, 12:57 PM

You have to look at some of the teams these players went to though. AJ Hawk is pretty damn good. Reggie Bush has potential to be really good still. Micheal Huff is over rated. Vince Young is an amazing athlete and has the potential to be a good QB. Leinart is good, but was over rated coming out of college and also hasn't had a good team in front of him. But yes, Cutler and Mario Williams have definitely lived up to the hype and I think both of them will continue to get better.

lex
08-17-2008, 01:00 PM
You have to look at some of the teams these players went to though. AJ Hawk is pretty damn good. Reggie Bush has potential to be really good still. Micheal Huff is over rated. Vince Young is an amazing athlete and has the potential to be a good QB. Leinart is good, but was over rated coming out of college and also hasn't had a good team in front of him. But yes, Cutler and Mario Williams have definitely lived up to the hype and I think both of them will continue to get better.

Sorry but Reggie Bush is a big disappointment. Its not that unusual for running backs to come in and conrtibute the first year AS A RUNNING BACK. For where he was picked, he hasnt delivered going on two years now. Thats two years the Saints cant get back on that contract.

SR
08-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Everyone knew going in that he was too small to be a prototypical running back, hence him splitting time with McAllister. He is a threat to take it the distance any time the ball is in his hands. He just can't hang when it's in the trenches. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Bush had 1,500 all purpose yards and 10 touchdowns this year.

topscribe
08-17-2008, 01:02 PM
A.J. Hawk is a phenomenal player. He has had 100 tackles in both his seasons. So far, he has outperformed Cutler.

I wasn't aware of that. what was Hawk's QB rating?

-----

lex
08-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Everyone knew going in that he was too small to be a prototypical running back, hence him splitting time with McAllister. He is a threat to take it the distance any time the ball is in his hands. He just can't hang when it's in the trenches. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Bush had 1,500 all purpose yards and 10 touchdowns this year.

Yeah, averaging 7.0 per catch and 3.5 per carry. Thats great and all but theyre paying him as a RB and not so much a 7.0 per catch WR. Reggie Bush is more like Eric Metcalf than Marshall Faulk. The problem is that the hype/expectations were that he is better than Marshall Faulk. He's more WR than RB. And has been for two years of his substantial contract.

SR
08-17-2008, 01:16 PM

-----

:confused:

SR
08-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Yeah, averaging 7.0 per catch and 3.5 per carry. Thats great and all but theyre paying him as a RB and not so much a 7.0 per catch WR. Reggie Bush is more like Eric Metcalf than Marshall Faulk. The problem is that the hype/expectations were that he is better than Marshall Faulk. He's more WR than RB. And has been for two years of his substantial contract.

Marshall Faulk wasn't Marshall Fault until he went to the Rams. He wasn't all that productive when he was with the Colts. Either way, Bush is super versatile and as the Saints get better, so will Reggie Bush. He's not a very good running back between the tackles, but he wasn't in college either. He makes his money off tackle and catching passes in the flats.

Lonestar
08-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Marshall Faulk wasn't Marshall Fault until he went to the Rams. He wasn't all that productive when he was with the Colts. Either way, Bush is super versatile and as the Saints get better, so will Reggie Bush. He's not a very good running back between the tackles, but he wasn't in college either. He makes his money off tackle and catching passes in the flats.

MF was a MF in IND and then he went to the RAMs who used all of his talent and he became the best Offensive weapon in the league. SMF

lex
08-17-2008, 01:28 PM

He wasnt as productive as when he went to St. L but he was a legitimate RB that was productive, unlike Bush.

Stargazer
08-17-2008, 01:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3142771

Article about the young guns of the NFL from last year.

Strong Buy: Analysts have a hard time seeing him failing. Reserved for those who possess the physical tools and intangibles to join the very elite.

G_Money
08-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Jay was ice last night. He tore up Dallas big time. Pretty impressive considering they practiced against them for two full days. That game excited me. Our special teams is still kind of vanilla, but our offense is pretty damn good and our first team D looked decent. As far as MLB goes, Webster needs to start. I've been high on Niko since we brought him over, but he just looks lost to me.

But Webster's not much better.

I agree, Kou is lost. I don't know what his problem is, but honestly, I'd rather start Beck than Webster or Kou. Beck plays within himself, doesn't try to make plays he can't make and doesn't show off. If next year's competition was between Beck and Larsen for MLB instead of Webster and Kou I feel we'd be better off. The pair of them can tackle and read plays. Neither's a superstar, but Kou and Webster are driving me crazy with mis-reads, non-reads, running into blockers instead of ball-carriers, over-pursuit...it's just frustrating as hell.

So I hope we find some way to keep the Mormon and the Mustang, and that they improve enough over the next year to make Webster and Niko unnecessary.

And in the meantime I guess I hope Kou pulls his head out from between his buttcheeks and Webster can keep his helmet on and use that rock inside it as more than just an attachment point for hair extensions.

~G

hamrob
08-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Jay was ice last night. He tore up Dallas big time. Pretty impressive considering they practiced against them for two full days. That game excited me. Our special teams is still kind of vanilla, but our offense is pretty damn good and our first team D looked decent. As far as MLB goes, Webster needs to start. I've been high on Niko since we brought him over, but he just looks lost to me.you know, I thought Niko played o.k. last night and that Webster totally stunk up the joint. I need to watch the game again to take another peak at this dual. Either way...I think at this point in time...this is certainly a weakness on our Defense.

SR
08-17-2008, 02:51 PM
We're definitely weak at MLB, but I like Webster's intensity on the field. He appears to be a vocal leader on the D with DJ. We'll see. I think Niko is smarter than Webster, but I don't think he quite understands the position very well. Our defensive scheme doesn't sound too complicated, so maybe Niko isn't as smart as I think he is. I'm not as familiar with Beck and Larsen G, so I can't really form a football opinion on that.

topscribe
08-17-2008, 03:05 PM
:confused:

Exactly.

-----

topscribe
08-17-2008, 03:12 PM
But Webster's not much better.

I agree, Kou is lost. I don't know what his problem is, but honestly, I'd rather start Beck than Webster or Kou. Beck plays within himself, doesn't try to make plays he can't make and doesn't show off. If next year's competition was between Beck and Larsen for MLB instead of Webster and Kou I feel we'd be better off. The pair of them can tackle and read plays. Neither's a superstar, but Kou and Webster are driving me crazy with mis-reads, non-reads, running into blockers instead of ball-carriers, over-pursuit...it's just frustrating as hell.

So I hope we find some way to keep the Mormon and the Mustang, and that they improve enough over the next year to make Webster and Niko unnecessary.

And in the meantime I guess I hope Kou pulls his head out from between his buttcheeks and Webster can keep his helmet on and use that rock inside it as more than just an attachment point for hair extensions.

~G

Among the new people who I don't think need to worry about their jobs are
Larsen and Woodyard. I don't know that I've seen any individual defender's
number more than either of theirs, either on defense or STs.

Larsen last night was like Woodyard last week. When he was in, I saw #46
either in on or around seemingly every play . . . and Woodyard wasn't so
bad himself.

I know the Broncos will have to have a Practice Squad, but it's beginning
to look like it will be risky with a large number of them when it comes time.
But I guess that's a good problem, more of a testomonial to their talent level.

-----

Simple Jaded
08-17-2008, 03:14 PM
I knew before they drafted him that Cutler was the best QB of the class,
and I was on pins and needles until I heard his name in conjunction with
the Denver Broncos.

But I don't understand your comment regarding "hype" about Torain, ol' buddy.
He was a 5th-round draft choice. No one, except a few posters on some
message boards, was talking him up a lot. His "hype" came from his
performance in camp, which was pretty stellar from reports that I got. :whoknows:

-----

The Torain Hype I'm referring to is of the Mike Shanahan variety.

"1st round talent"......"Very similar to Terrell Davis"......Litchensteiger must be "Very similar" to Tom Nalen for Shanahan to pass on The Next Terrell Davis in the 4th round. Jack Williams must be "Very similar" to Darrell Green, I guess.

Either that or Torain is a 5th round talent and Shanahan is full of shit<--(---I think it's this one)......

topscribe
08-17-2008, 03:16 PM
The Torain Hype I'm referring to is of the Mike Shanahan variety.

"1st round talent"......"Very similar to Terrell Davis"......Litchensteiger must be "Very similar" to Tom Nalen for Shanahan to pass on The Next Terrell Davis in the 4th round. Jack Williams must be "Very similar" to Darrell Green, I guess.

Either that or Torain is a 5th round talent and Shanahan is full of shit<--(---I think it's this one)......

Yeah, I know what you mean . . .

Terrell Davis was a 6th round talent . . . :coffee:

-----

Simple Jaded
08-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean . . .

Terrell Davis was a 6th round talent . . . :coffee:

-----

Curtis Alexander was a 4th rounder, Chris Howard a 5th rounder, Olandis Gary a 4th, Mike Anderson a 6th, Clinton Poorti$ a 2nd, Tatum Bell a 2nd, Maurice Clarette a 3rd.

I guess this proves that for every Miracle there are three stiffs (And counting), three one-year-wonders (And counting?), a boozer (And counting???) and an actual 1st round talent (And counting ?).

How could I forget Q and Ahmad Galloway? Count that 5 stiffs......

topscribe
08-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Curtis Alexander was a 4th rounder, Chris Howard a 5th rounder, Olandis Gary a 4th, Mike Anderson a 6th, Clinton Poorti$ a 2nd, Tatum Bell a 2nd, Maurice Clarette a 3rd.

I guess this proves that for every Miracle there are three stiffs (And counting), three one-year-wonders (And counting?), a boozer (And counting???) and an actual 1st round talent (And counting ?).

Q was a stiff? Now Link, we've been down that road before. Q was doing fine
before he was injured.

You didn't name MA, but I hope you didn't count him as a stiff. He accounted
himself quite well here.

Nonetheless, I don't get the connection between them and Torain. I'll bet
he didn't know most, if any, of them personally. :noidea:

What I was going by were camp reports: from here, from the Mane, from
Mile High Report, as well as the Broncos' own website. All had positive
reports for Torain. At least, I remember his being mentioned a lot, and
nothing negative about him.

-----

lex
08-17-2008, 03:48 PM

before he was injured.

himself quite well here.

-----

fcp

topscribe
08-17-2008, 03:50 PM
fcp

Whatever "fcp" means.

-----

lex
08-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Whatever "fcp" means.

-----

RIF

Is that better?

topscribe
08-17-2008, 03:57 PM
RIF

Is that better?

I have been enjoying intelligent discussions with the likes of Link and Wookiee.
I don't need to play juvenile acronym games while I take little short breaks
from my work to do it. If you have something to say, then say it. Otherwise,
go play with somebody else.

-----

Simple Jaded
08-17-2008, 03:59 PM
before he was injured.

himself quite well here.

-----

I consider Q a stiff not only because of his lack of pro ability, but because of his act after he fumbled twice, that was pathetic.

I mentioned Anderson as a One-year-wonder, albeit an unselfish One-year-wonder.

The connection between all of them is that Shanahan drafted them all, not that they have some personal connection, but I'm not the one that brought up Davis, Shanahan did......you'd have to ask him what the connection is, because obviously I wouldn't know.

As for Torain, I never said he was a stiff, I think he'll do fine if he's healthy, and though I can't speak for those at the Mane, the Mile High Report and the Main Site, out of all the times I've seen Torain play he has never stood out to me as a 1st round talent/Terrell Davis. If I had never seen him play before I'd of said nothing, but I have seen him, he's no Terrell Davis......

lex
08-17-2008, 04:05 PM
I have been enjoying intelligent discussions with the likes of Link and Wookiee.
I don't need to play juvenile acronym games while I take little short breaks
from my work to do it. If you have something to say, then say it. Otherwise,
go play with somebody else.

-----

Yeah, if you count "fluff" as "something to say". Or maybe you can rattle off more erroneous 40 times for us.

G_Money
08-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Stop trolling and say something, lex. Please.

~G

lex
08-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Stop trolling and say something, lex. Please.

~G

I often say something unlike some who spew constant fluff and erroneous information. Id like to ask topscribe if he would please say something at some point that isnt fluff or erroneous...in other words "something".

topscribe
08-17-2008, 04:12 PM
I consider Q a stiff not only because of his lack of pro ability, but because of his act after he fumbled twice, that was pathetic.

I mentioned Anderson as a One-year-wonder, albeit an unselfish One-year-wonder.

The connection between all of them is that Shanahan drafted them all, not that they have some personal connection, but I'm not the one that brought up Davis, Shanahan did......you'd have to ask him what the connection is, because obviously I wouldn't know.

As for Torain, I never said he was a stiff, I think he'll do fine if he's healthy, and though I can't speak for those at the Mane, the Mile High Report and the Main Site, out of all the times I've seen Torain play he has never stood out to me as a 1st round talent/Terrell Davis. If I had never seen him play before I'd of said nothing, but I have seen him, he's no Terrell Davis......

Well Link, TD must not have overly impressed a lot of people in college,
either. He was a backup there, wasn't he?

I agree with most of your examples, but MA was decidedly not one-year.
It was back in 2000 that MA produced 1,500 yards for us, then he gave us
678 yards in 2001, while a recovering Terrell Davis produced the other 701
yards. Of course, in 2002, MA ran for only 386, mainly because of one
Clinton Portis. So MA became a pretty fair FB for us.

So MA produced for us for seven years, not one. He was one of our more
productive backs over the years.

I know this has thoroughly derailed the topic of the thread, but I felt it
important to establish this. My apologies to the thread-starter.

So I'm ready to get back to Jay Cutler. :focus:

-----

topscribe
08-17-2008, 04:14 PM
I often say something unlike some who spew constant fluff and erroneous information. Id like to ask topscribe if he would please say something at some point that isnt fluff or erroneous...in other words "something".

Okay, I tried to respond to you as a poster, now I'm doing it as a Mod.

Get off the personal stuff, stop trolling, and get back to discussing intelligently,
or get out of the thread.

-----

lex
08-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Okay, I tried to respond to you as a poster, now I'm doing it as a Mod.

Get off the personal stuff, stop trolling, and get back to discussing intelligently,
or get out of the thread.

-----

Torain was a great pick. He wasnt injury prone or anythign coming out of college and he ran a faster 40 time on a surface that was different than what he ran at the combine...and that means he is only .2 seconds from Selvin Young since Selvin Young was once timed at a 4.3 one day before practice in high school.

Not only that but if you watch Torain while standing on your head, he looks faster, so I choose to watch Ryan Torain while standing on my head that way I can better believe he is faster/better than what he is.

Slick
08-17-2008, 04:24 PM
IMO Torian will benefit from the good coaching, and the "system" in Denver. How we can throw him under the bus at this point is unbelievable to me. Let the guy get some game snaps before we trash him. I really hate that he got banged up. We need a bigger back to compliment Hall and Young(in that order at this point)l, and I don't think Pittman is the guy.

From the box score, it seems like Jay was on point last night. I lost power right after kickoff and never got to see any of the game. The numbers impressed me. I'm optimistic that this will be his year.

Dreadnought
08-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Well Link, TD must not have overly impressed a lot of people in college,
either. He was a backup there, wasn't he?

I agree with most of your examples, but MA was decidedly not one-year.
It was back in 2000 that MA produced 1,500 yards for us, then he gave us
678 yards in 2001, while a recovering Terrell Davis produced the other 701
yards. Of course, in 2002, MA ran for only 386, mainly because of one
Clinton Portis. So MA became a pretty fair FB for us.

So MA produced for us for seven years, not one. He was one of our more
productive backs over the years.

I know this has thoroughly derailed the topic of the thread, but I felt it
important to establish this. My apologies to the thread-starter.

So I'm ready to get back to Jay Cutler. :focus:

-----

My understanding is that TD's coach at Georgia didn't much like him personally and didn't think he had a whole lot of talent. Some judge he was!

Anderson had that great 2000 season, but performed solidly for years after that in whatever role he was plugged into, including as a very solid RB in 2005. If only every guy we drafted turned out that well...I guess what I'm saying is I agree 100% he was very far from a one year wonder.

lex
08-17-2008, 04:33 PM
My understanding is that TD's coach at Georgia didn't much like him personally and didn't think he had a whole lot of talent. Some judge he was!

Anderson had that great 2000 season, but performed solidly for years after that in whatever role he was plugged into, including as a very solid RB in 2005. If only every guy we drafted turned out that well...I guess what I'm saying is I agree 100% he was very far from a one year wonder.

I think it was as much the case that Georgia at the time had what they felt was a big time recruit at QB named Eric Zeier and as a result they were extremely pass happy. It seemed like Eric Zeier used to pass 50 times a game even when it wasnt working so well. I think a lot of it was because they were overly obsessed with their big time QB recruit. I dont think they ran the ball in general, whether that was with Terrell Davis or someone else. Whatever the case their coach sucked and Florida routinely thrashed them in those days. Georgia was kind of sad in those days but obviously, it wasnt Terrell's fault.

Slick
08-17-2008, 04:42 PM
TD was hurt or behind Garrison Hearst during most of his time at Georgia. He tore up Tennessee in one game that I remember..but I digress.

Jay Cutler played great last night. We should all be happy with that. From the highlights I saw here...http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29811&season=2008&displayPage=tab_gamecenter...he just looks better, stronger, more comfortable. It's hard to believe him playing with undiagnosed diabetes for so long.

lex
08-17-2008, 04:49 PM
TD was hurt or behind Garrison Hearst during most of his time at Georgia. He tore up Tennessee in one game that I remember..but I digress.

Jay Cutler played great last night. We should all be happy with that. From the highlights I saw here...http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29811&season=2008&displayPage=tab_gamecenter...he just looks better, stronger, more comfortable. It's hard to believe him playing with undiagnosed diabetes for so long.
1990 RS at LBS
1991 played at LBS, LBS cancelled their program
1992 played behind Hearst at UGa
1993 played RB for UGa
1994 played RB for UGa with hamstring injury

Slick
08-17-2008, 04:55 PM
1990 RS at LBS
1991 played at LBS, LBS cancelled their program
1992 played behind Hearst at UGa
1993 played RB for UGa
1994 played RB for UGa with hamstring injury

Thanks lex. I knew about his stint at Long Beach State...so I was right for the most part. :rolleyes:

I'm trying like hell to steer this thread back to Jay Cutler...TD is gone.

lex
08-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks lex. I knew about his stint at Long Beach State...so I was right for the most part. :rolleyes:

Terrell likes Jay Cutler. Ive heard him say as much. Whats not to like?

Slick
08-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Terrell likes Jay Cutler. Ive heard him say as much. Whats not to like?

:lol: You are brutal. :salute:

Poet
08-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Sorry but Reggie Bush is a big disappointment. Its not that unusual for running backs to come in and conrtibute the first year AS A RUNNING BACK. For where he was picked, he hasnt delivered going on two years now. Thats two years the Saints cant get back on that contract.

No way.

He did well as a FOOTBALL PLAYER his first year.

Last year he was on a bum leg and his QB played like arse for quite some time. Their entire offense was playing poorly.

Poet
08-17-2008, 06:03 PM

-----

As a football player he has. Nice tongue and cheek comment though. Who has had more success so far? The guy with 100 tackles twice in a row, or the QB who is immensely talented but hasn't done anything at all noteworthy.

lex
08-17-2008, 06:07 PM
No way.

He did well as a FOOTBALL PLAYER his first year.

Last year he was on a bum leg and his QB played like arse for quite some time. Their entire offense was playing poorly.
No, he was used as a WR in his first year and when running the ball behind the same OLine, his YPC was significantly lower than Deuce McAlisters. Then last year, he was outperformed by Pierre Thomas. Where was Pierre Thomas drafted? Like I said, he is more Eric Metcalf than Marshall Faulk but he was expected to be better than Marshall Faulk, who btw, went for 1282 and 1078 in his first two seasons and had 11 rushing TDs in each season. Faulk also had 522 receiving yards in his first season and averaged 10 yards per catch. I reference Faulk because Bush was expected to be a similar player. He hasnt been. He has fallen well short.

Poet
08-17-2008, 06:10 PM
No, he was used as a WR in his first year and when running the ball behind the same OLine, his YPC was significantly lower than Deuce McAlisters. Then last year, he was outperformed by Pierre Thomas. Where was Pierre Thomas drafted? Like I said, he is more Eric Metcalf than Marshall Faulk but he was expected to be better than Marshall Faulk, who btw, went for 1282 and 1078 in his first two seasons and had 11 rushing TDs in each season. Faulk also had 522 receiving yards in his first season and averaged 10 yards per catch. I reference Faulk because Bush was expected to be a similar player. He hasnt been. He has fallen well short.

Hold on a second, his first year he played WR/punt returner/running back. He did well as an overall football player.

His next year his entire team played awfully and he was playing on a bad leg the entire year.

Exactly what is your argument again?

lex
08-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Hold on a second, his first year he played WR/punt returner/running back. He did well as an overall football player.

His next year his entire team played awfully and he was playing on a bad leg the entire year.

Exactly what is your argument again?

That he hasnt produced. And its not really an argument as much as its pointing at the numbers. Whats youre argument? His YPC is horrible and his YPCatch isnt that great either considering he is more WR than anything else. And he's not good enough as a returner either to compensate for where he falls short as a RB. Eric Metcalf was a returner too.

Poet
08-17-2008, 06:16 PM
That he hasnt produced. And its not really an argument as much as its pointing at the numbers. Whats youre argument? His YPC is horrible and his YPCatch isnt that great either considering he is more WR than anything else. And he's not good enough as a returner either to compensate for where he falls short as a RB. Eric Metcalf was a returner too.

He played well as an overall football player. One thing you forgot to mention is that teams game planned for him all year long his rookie year. He made a big splash as a third down back, as a WR, a punter returner and a running back. Was his numbers staggering? No. But he did more than his fair share. He also so far could be called clutch for his play in the playoffs against the Bears.

The next year his entire offense plays like shit and he is on a bad leg.

In other words, he has played well OVERALL and then the next year what happened could hardly be held against him.

Next please.

lex
08-17-2008, 06:23 PM
He played well as an overall football player. One thing you forgot to mention is that teams game planned for him all year long his rookie year. He made a big splash as a third down back, as a WR, a punter returner and a running back. Was his numbers staggering? No. But he did more than his fair share. He also so far could be called clutch for his play in the playoffs against the Bears.

The next year his entire offense plays like shit and he is on a bad leg.

In other words, he has played well OVERALL and then the next year what happened could hardly be held against him.

Next please.

Excuses aside, the guy hasnt produced when healthy and on the field when compared to the hype, draft position and salary. Its the truth. All youre doing is saying "he played well" and making it as nebulous as you can because looking at the numbers is frightening when trying to defend him, especially if you look at what MJD has done during that same time. Face it, the guy hasnt delivered as he should have to this point. And like I said, thats two years the Saints cant get back.

yardog
08-17-2008, 06:30 PM

:tsk:

Slick don't say this again. Some of us stubborn old guys are waiting for a TD come back.

elsid13
08-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Did anyone see the Cutler pic that ESPiN had on NFL page. I know Cutler was big kid, but football in his hand looks like he gripping a softball. No wonder he can toss the pigskin.

Hobe
08-17-2008, 08:15 PM
The guy was unbelievable tonight. For tonight, at least, he was the best player on the field in Denver's game against the Dallas Cowboys.

I was glad to get some positive press out of ESPN, but the opening of the article just brought out my smart-ass side…

Hey Bill, for tonight, at least, you’re right for once! :D

Stargazer
08-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Excuses aside, the guy hasnt produced when healthy and on the field when compared to the hype, draft position and salary. Its the truth. All youre doing is saying "he played well" and making it as nebulous as you can because looking at the numbers is frightening when trying to defend him, especially if you look at what MJD has done during that same time. Face it, the guy hasnt delivered as he should have to this point. And like I said, thats two years the Saints cant get back.

Some people were calling Reggie Bush the best prospect to come out of college football over the last 20 years.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

topscribe
08-17-2008, 08:45 PM
As a football player he has. Nice tongue and cheek comment though. Who has had more success so far? The guy with 100 tackles twice in a row, or the QB who is immensely talented but hasn't done anything at all noteworthy.

I don't know, but I don't think that argument is even applicable because they
both have noteworthy achievements. Hawk has 100 tackles twice in a row,
and Cutler had a better second season statistically than any other QB in
history in their respective second seasons, with the sole exception of Dan
Marino. (I won't even bring up that he finished that season thirty pounds
underweight . . . oops, I think I just did). I would say that is very noteworthy.

My original point, however, is that I don't know how one can compare the
QB position to LB at all, other than to remark that Cutler is big as a LB, but
that's about all. :whoknows:

-----

Broncos Mtnman
08-17-2008, 08:50 PM
I've been saying this since the mini-camps....

.... Jay Cutler will make the Pro Bowl this year.

:beer:

tubby
08-17-2008, 09:18 PM
I said hi to Bill last night. He gave me the who the F are you look with fake smile and nod.

Cool guy.

SR
08-17-2008, 11:05 PM
underweight . . . oops, I think I just did). I would say that is very noteworthy.

-----

No one is comparing the LB position with the QB position. King is saying that AJ Hawk has been more successful at HIS POSITION than Jay has been at his, of which I would agree.

topscribe
08-17-2008, 11:06 PM
No one is comparing the LB position with the QB position. King is saying that AJ Hawk has been more successful at HIS POSITION than Jay has been at his, of which I would agree.

I know what he was trying to do.

And I disagree.

-----

Lonestar
08-18-2008, 01:55 AM

you were thinking it in 2006.. :salute:

Stargazer
08-18-2008, 02:00 AM

That's not really going out on a limb.

A lot of people are thinking that.

Poet
08-18-2008, 02:57 AM

What excuses? His first year he did well. I don't see that as an excuse. His YPC was a little low. However, he contributed in a lot of different ways. I don't really understand what you are debating. He caught, he ran, he did punt returns. He added an unique big play threat to his team.

If Jay Cutler breaks his leg, or a couple fingers, I already know that you are going to be ringing the injury bell if he does not perform well. Which, is fine. It was like when some Bengal fans got on Carson Palmer in 06 about not playing as well in 05. Gee, I wonder why?

Poet
08-18-2008, 02:59 AM

-----

Ok, we can try this one on for size. Hawk has had two good years at his position, Cutler has had one.;)

omac
08-18-2008, 05:00 AM

And I disagree.

-----

I agree with top; you can't compare a WLB to a QB. The QB is the brains of the offense, and probably the most complicated position in football.

I understand King's comment was a response to a statement that mentioned Hawk as overated, but I think he's done more than enough to show his worth. What each player brings to his team is very different.

I will say, though, that the Broncos would rather lose DJ than Cutler to injury. The question becomes, who would the Packers rather lose to injury, Rodgers or Hawk? Who would the Bengals rather lose to injury, Palmer or Rivers?

I just think QB is the most important offensive position, and MLB, not WLB, is the most important defensive position.

Thnikkaman
08-18-2008, 09:52 AM
To answer this question about E!SPN, check out this quote from Hank Steinbrenner:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3271124

Those same Red Sox fans that pollute ESPN are also typically Pats fans. If youre a Pats fan, the Broncos are a team that gets under your skin.

Its because of this that I am less and less of a consumer of ESPN's product. I don't mind Mike and Mike since Greeny is a Jets Homer, and Goldberg is the closest thing ESPN has on the radio for an Unbiased guy.

If Cutler stays healthy, I am looking forward to my sons (if they are into football) growing up watching Cutler the same way I grew up watching Elway.

SR
08-18-2008, 01:50 PM

And I disagree.

-----

Well that's because you're a homer. I tend to look at things with a little less bias approach.

topscribe
08-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Well that's because you're a homer. I tend to look at things with a little less bias approach.

Which I have every right to do.

Now, please stop trolling behind me and trying to make me the topic of this thread.

:focus:

-----

Broncos Mtnman
08-18-2008, 07:05 PM
That's not really going out on a limb.

A lot of people are thinking that.

They only think so because I said it first.