PDA

View Full Version : Things To Watch For in Tonight's Game vs. Dallas

Ziggy
08-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Yes, it's only preseason. Preseason games don't mean anything, who cares, blah, blah, blah. Last year's preseason game against the Cowboys exposed Denver's weaknesses. Dallas absolutely dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and played with twice the intensity of the Broncos. The Broncos coaches and many fans stated that it wasn't a concern.."It's preseason!" Well that game was an indicator of the problems Denver would have all season long. Poor play on both lines, no pass rush, and a lack of intensity. On the other side of the coin, the Cowboys would surprise most NFL gurus by finishing with a stellar 13-3 record and prove that they were one of the elite teams in the NFL.

Fast forward to tonights game. Dallas is a great measuring stick. Against the Cowboy starters, we can see just how much our offseason aquisitions have improved our team. There will be some starters missing, but only one out of both the offensive and defensive lines (Tom Nalen). Here are some things to watch for tonight, to guage our progress:

1. Can the defensive line hold up at the LOS against the Cowboys size and strength?

2. Can the Broncos generate any kind of a pass rush with the front 4?

3. Can the Broncos Oline protect Cutler on passing downs?

4. Can the Broncos Oline create any running lanes for the backs?

5. Can our special teams give us any reason to beleive that they might actually be special this season?

Yes, it's only preseason. Yes, the starters will probably play very little tonight. I still think we can walk away from this game with some questions answered. Mainly, are the lines improved, and can this team match the intensity of the Cowboys. We shall see.

BroncoJoe
08-16-2008, 12:29 PM
I think the starters will play up to one quarter, possibly a quarter and a half, according to 104.3 the Fan.

Preseason games, IMO do mean something. It's a good gage as to what we can expect this year.

girler
08-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Last year Dallas whipped our butts in the pre-season, and we consoled ourselves that it was "only preseason" but look what both teams did in the regular season... I'm not going to say "it's only preseason" today.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-16-2008, 12:46 PM
We have had steady rain since early yesterday - may have even started sometime in the night on Thursday night - anyhow, the weather is VERY WET, and based on the following forecast, still could have rain tonight.
Right now (11:45 am MST, it is only 51 degrees).

Not sure if this crummy weather will have an impact on what may/may not be done, especially on offense, if it is still raining at game time!!!!!

"Rain showers will continue at times tonight as temperatures drop into the upper 40s in the metro area."

http://www.9news.com/weather/forecast/

BroncoJoe
08-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Lightening too. They've been postponing games with bad weather in the preseason. I hope it lets up a bit.

hamrob
08-16-2008, 12:48 PM
I think these are good yard sticks...however...the Cowboys are a much different style of team than us....meaning we will show improvement in some of these areas but not all. I'm pretty sure I can make accurate predictions where your questions are concerned: :-))

1. Can the defensive line hold up at the LOS against the Cowboys size and strength? Yes...but with speed....anyone who thinks we can man up with them is seriously confused or a fool.
2. Can the Broncos generate any kind of a pass rush with the front 4? No...or very limited...they're too big for guys like Dumervil and Moss to get much penetration...even with their speed. The only way to get pressure on them is by stunting and blitzing.
3. Can the Broncos Oline protect Cutler on passing downs? Yes...Dallas is talented...so they will apply pressure...but our line will hold their own. Why...because they are equally skilled atheletes.
4. Can the Broncos Oline create any running lanes for the backs? Yes...because they are very skilled at what they do and they are both fast and quick to their blocks.

5. Can our special teams give us any reason to beleive that they might actually be special this season? Yes...I think we saw glimpses of it last week. I think you need to be realistic about what is an improvement. IMO...if we can start returning the ball to the 25+ yd line consistently and hold the apposing team to the 25 yd line as well. We will be vastly improved from last year in terms of the field position game.

hamrob
08-16-2008, 12:54 PM
I'd also add two more....huge indicators. IMO they are the true keys to success this year:

1. Can the Broncos improve on 3rd down conversions?
2. Can the Broncos prevent the Cowboys from converting on 3rd down?

I'm pretty sure we will be successful with #1 above...so the real indicator (to me) is; can we stop or limit their 3rd down conversions? We haven't done it very well the last two years...can we turn that around?

BroncoJoe
08-16-2008, 12:57 PM
I'd also add two more....huge indicators. IMO they are the true keys to success this year:

1. Can the Broncos improve on 3rd down conversions?
2. Can the Broncos prevent the Cowboys from converting on 3rd down?

I'm pretty sure we will be successful with #1 above...so the real indicator (to me) is; can we stop or limit their 3rd down conversions? We haven't done it very well the last two years...can we turn that around?

Good point re: #2. Seemed like every team we played last year was able to complete 3rd and longs.

Nomad
08-16-2008, 01:09 PM
We have had steady rain since early yesterday - may have even started sometime in the night on Thursday night - anyhow, the weather is VERY WET, and based on the following forecast, still could have rain tonight.
Right now (11:45 am MST, it is only 51 degrees).

Not sure if this crummy weather will have an impact on what may/may not be done, especially on offense, if it is still raining at game time!!!!!

"Rain showers will continue at times tonight as temperatures drop into the upper 40s in the metro area."

http://www.9news.com/weather/forecast/

Good post Ziggy! And I agree Joe, preseason does mean something to the guys trying to make the team! It does exploit the weakness in teams, which is a good thing to help fix before the regular season, which last year Dallas did do that, but the injury bug didn't help us either. And hearing of rainy weather makes me hold my breath because a wet field is an injury waiting to happen. I am a firm believer in playing in the elements but I wouldn't risk my starters too much on a wet field. No more injuries!!!

mopatt24
08-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Hey, ran across this over on the broncomania board. http://www.justin.tv/sportcenter will be broadcasting the game for those of us who dont live in the Co and have to suffer from more Brett Favre ish

omac
08-16-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm only really concerned about how well they do against the run. If they're decent, then it's a great sign.

jrelway
08-16-2008, 02:11 PM
im looking for more plays like this from selvin tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_GLjcgLYhA

turftoad
08-16-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm not much concerned about anything.

Practice game, guys trying to make the squad, thats about it.

Hobe
08-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Yes, it's only preseason. Preseason games don't mean anything, who cares, blah, blah, blah. Last year's preseason game against the Cowboys exposed Denver's weaknesses. Dallas absolutely dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and played with twice the intensity of the Broncos. The Broncos coaches and many fans stated that it wasn't a concern.."It's preseason!" Well that game was an indicator of the problems Denver would have all season long. Poor play on both lines, no pass rush, and a lack of intensity. On the other side of the coin, the Cowboys would surprise most NFL gurus by finishing with a stellar 13-3 record and prove that they were one of the elite teams in the NFL.

Fast forward to tonights game. Dallas is a great measuring stick. Against the Cowboy starters, we can see just how much our offseason aquisitions have improved our team. There will be some starters missing, but only one out of both the offensive and defensive lines (Tom Nalen). Here are some things to watch for tonight, to guage our progress:

1. Can the defensive line hold up at the LOS against the Cowboys size and strength?

2. Can the Broncos generate any kind of a pass rush with the front 4?

3. Can the Broncos Oline protect Cutler on passing downs?

4. Can the Broncos Oline create any running lanes for the backs?

5. Can our special teams give us any reason to believe that they might actually be special this season?

Yes, it's only preseason. Yes, the starters will probably play very little tonight. I still think we can walk away from this game with some questions answered. Mainly, are the lines improved, and can this team match the intensity of the Cowboys. We shall see.

...so basically you are asking, "Can our lines get it up!"

I agree, and I promise to watch.

turftoad
08-16-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm not much concerned about anything.

Practice game, guys trying to make the squad, thats about it.

I guess I'm interested to see if some of our young guys can step it up.

Nature Boy
08-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Micheal Pittman is probably the Broncos' best RB.

jrelway
08-16-2008, 05:52 PM

maybe if he was 5 years younger.

Slick
08-16-2008, 05:53 PM

If he was, he'd be starting. Are you just looking for an argument or do you seriously believe that?

Requiem / The Dagda
08-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Travis Henry is our best run. . . wait. :smile:

girler
08-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Travis Henry is our best run. . . wait. :smile:

:throwrock:

Dean
08-16-2008, 06:42 PM
There are several things that I will be watching and hoping for some positive sign. Can our defensive line get any kind of pressure on the QB? There was some improvement but not yet what I was hoping for.

Will Robertson be the force we need in the middle? The tackles were much better.

Can our O-tackles run block? Harris along with Kuper opened some very good holes and Clady improved. [COLOR="Red"]

Does it look like we will have a running game this year or are we going to have to become the Pats? [COLOR="red"]It's still too early but the linemen showed vast improvement.

Can we win a return game against anybody? ???

I will also pray for no more injuries. So much for the power of prayer in football.

MasterShake
08-16-2008, 06:46 PM
I don't care if they are playing checkers...if there are some dudes dressed in Bronco uniforms on t.v., I will watch and scream! :defense::defense::defense:

slim
08-17-2008, 10:59 AM
So did Hillis play? I didn't watch last night. I am waiting for the replay on NFLN today.

Hobe
08-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Before the game the local CBS sports guy kept talking about how big the Dallas lineman were, like the Broncos didn't have a chance against them. However, both the lines looked OK last night.

nevcraw
08-17-2008, 03:16 PM
So did Hillis play? I didn't watch last night. I am waiting for the replay on NFLN today.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10227071

Even though he's a rookie, even though he's a seventh-round draft pick, even though he missed most of training camp with a hamstring, Peyton Hillis has a good chance of making the Broncos' 53-man roster. He was in at fullback on the second series, with the first-team offense. . .