PDA

View Full Version : colbert not making an impact, Hamza riding Pine

nevcraw
08-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Broncos Report: Colbert still seeking to make an impact
Stellar play of Royal, Jackson cutting into receiver's repetitions
By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Friday, August 15, 2008
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/aug/15/colbert-confident-hell-catch-broncos-attention/

Keary Colbert wants to show the Broncos they’ll be in good hands if he is part of the receiver rotation.
His deal to open the free-agent signing period opened eyes, but so far, receiver Keary Colbert has struggled to gain notice in the Broncos camp.

Colbert has been a reserve for nearly the full duration of practices, while rookie Eddie Royal moved into the starting lineup and Darrell Jackson received substantial first-team practice repetitions.

Colbert wasn't among the 11 Denver players who logged at least one catch in the preseason opener at Houston last Saturday night.

"I feel like I've definitely gotten better the last week or so," Colbert said. "And, really, I set out to measure it off of a four-game preseason, and we're not even halfway there yet. I've still got some opportunities to go out there and make it happen."

Colbert took advantage of his chances in Thursday's afternoon practice. With Brandon Stokley being given the practice off and Jackson hurt, Colbert caught a couple of passes in a two-minute drill for the No. 1 offense against the Dallas Cowboys that culminated in a touchdown.

"It's always good to earn the trust of the quarterback," Colbert said of his two receptions from Jay Cutler.

"But I just have to go out and concentrate on my job of who's in, who's out."

Having depth at receiver that the team can bank on could be key, considering Brandon Marshall's suspension to start the regular season.

Colbert denied feeling any pressure attached to having signed a three-year contract that included a $2.5 million bonus.

He believes the longer he works within Denver's scheme, the more confident and comfortable he'll continue to be.

"I'm trying to do things to improve my game and be a better player," said Colbert, who stays after practice daily to catch balls from the Juggs machine. "I haven't arrived as a wide receiver. There's still a lot of room for improvement and a lot to be learned. And until that time comes, I have to push myself to get that done."

Manuel bumps Abdullah

Further proof that there are no sure things: Hamza Abdullah.

Through all the offseason machinations applied to Denver's safety corps, Abdullah appeared to be the one constant. The thought was John Lynch would have to fend off free-agent pickups Marquand Manuel and Marlon McCree and draft pick Josh Barrett.

But three weeks into training camp, Lynch is now with New England, replaced by McCree in the starting lineup.

A groin injury that lingered for 10 days kept Abdullah sidelined. By the time he was back for this week's workouts with Dallas, he'd been replaced by Manuel, who has started 41 games in four previous NFL stops.

"It has nothing to do with Hamza but how Marquand's playing," Broncos defensive coordinator Bob Slowik said. "He's had a great camp. He's really professional. He prepares in the classroom and works hard out here. He's coachable and he's been performing well, both in practice and in the game last week."

Slowik called Abdullah's injury "unfortunate" and not Abdullah's fault. But he added that if someone is "performing, producing and playing better," then it is possible to lose one's job when hurt. "You have to earn your job every day," Slowik said.

Covering all bases

Training camp is full of situational run-throughs, so players are ready when something occurs on game day.

The lengths coaches will go to was underscored earlier this week, when Denver assistant Scott O'Brien, anticipating a wet forecast for tonight's second preseason game, had the footballs his punters would use during drills dipped in water.

The footballs weren't soaked, just lightly spritzed, to ensure the slickness is at its highest level for the snapper-to-punter exchange.

"We used to do that a lot in college and high school," rookie punter Brett Kern. "It's one of those things you do, so if it is raining (tonight), you've already practiced for holding and punts, all that stuff. It's good to get ready for it."
The punting battle itself is a fluid situation.
Neither Kern nor Sam Paulescu has yet to take hold of the job, and each got only one opportunity in the Broncos' preseason opener.

Kern will start tonight against Dallas (7, CBS 4), then rotate with Paulescu the rest of the game, which is opposite of the setup against Houston.

"I like the way Sam's been consistent, working the ball right and left. That's probably been one of his strongest points, along with his handling time. He's very consistent," O'Brien said. "With Brett, he's gotten quicker and made good improvement there. Obviously, he's got a big leg to be able to hit the big ball, but he has to do it more consistently."

Heavy workload

The Broncos' backs are against the wall.

Ryan Torain is already out for three months after elbow surgery.

Now Anthony Alridge is nursing a hamstring injury he suffered late in Thursday's second practice and likely will miss tonight's game.

With Denver reticent to wear down starting tailback Selvin Young, Andre Hall and Michael Pittman - who has been playing fullback for much of camp with Peyton Hillis nursing a hamstring problem - had better prepare for a long night of carries.

"Give me 25," Hall said Friday after the Broncos' walk-through. "I'll take the 25 and be more than happy with it."

Coach Mike Shanahan called the attrition "part of the preseason" and a problem the team will have to work through.

"We have no choice," he said.

Another player who could be more sore than normal come Sunday morning is third-string quarterback Darrell Hackney.

Backup Patrick Ramsey missed practice to be with his expectant wife. It's unclear whether he'll be available tonight, and Hackney and Jay Cutler, who'll likely play only about one quarter, are the only quarterbacks on the roster.

Numbers game

10-12 plays are likely how long Dewayne Robertson will be on the field tonight in his Denver debut. The Broncos have treaded lightly with the free-agent defensive tackle in hopes he holds up physically on the balky left knee he has been dealing with since 2001. Shanahan said Robertson likely will play more in the Aug. 22 preseason game against Green Bay.

Etc.

* Niko Koutovides will open at middle linebacker, backed by Nate Webster, who started the preseason opener.

* Among the Broncos players sitting out tonight are cornerback Champ Bailey (hamstring), linebackers Boss Bailey (ankle) and Louis Green (neck), tackle Erik Pears (back), center Tom Nalen (knee) and wide receiver Darrell Jackson (ankle).

* Backup tackle Tyler Polumbus said several of his family members and friends will be on hand as he plays his first game at Invesco Field since he played there with the University of Colorado against Colorado State.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's all hope for no more injuries!

Hopefully the benching of Hamza (for now) is a sign of excellent safety play.

WARHORSE
08-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Ive yet to feel comfortable with Hamza starting for us, so Im glad about him being by the water cooler. When he can take down a good WR in space, thats when I'll feel better about it........or perhaps when he takes someones head off.

frauschieze
08-16-2008, 10:56 AM
If Hamza's on the bench, then he better be playing special teams again. :coffee:

Ziggy
08-16-2008, 12:15 PM
I was never that high on Hamza, but I was hoping he would improve this season. Last year, he was affectionately nicknamed as 'Mr. Whiff', for all of the tackles he missed. Those are critical, especially on 3rd downs. I hope whoever starts at the safety spots will be a big improvement over last year's play.

turftoad
08-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Colbert sucks, plain and simple. It was a terrible signing.

Abdullah has been injured and will have a chance to win his spot back with some good play.

SR
08-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Based on what I saw last year, I don't like Abdullah. His reads are terrible, he over pursues, and his angles are bad.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-16-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm still cool with Keary being on the roster. I hope he can stick around as low option wideout on the team.

Ziggy
08-16-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm still cool with Keary being on the roster. I hope he can stick around as low option wideout on the team.

Don't be surprised if he gets beat out by a kid named Clifford Russel.

slim
08-16-2008, 12:57 PM
If Hamza's on the bench, then he better be playing special teams again. :coffee:

Damn skippy...

Retired_Member_001
08-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Don't be surprised if he gets beat out by a kid named Clifford Russel.

Colbert could get beat out by the Kircus.

nevcraw
08-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Colbert could get beat out by the Kircus.

You don't know what he's capable of.....

tubby
08-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Is Hillis out still out?

turftoad
08-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Colbert could get beat up by the Kircus.

Corrected for accuracy.

turftoad
08-16-2008, 01:39 PM
You don't know what he's capable of.....

I think we do.

slim
08-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Is Hillis out still out?

Yeah, sounds like it.

Very disappointing. I was looking forward to watching him this preseason.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Yeah, sounds like it.

Very disappointing. I was looking forward to watching him this preseason.

It didn't say he was sitting out this game.

slim
08-16-2008, 02:13 PM
It didn't say he was sitting out this game.

It didn't say he was playing, either :hi:

I don't think he practiced this week. So I don't think he would play.

honz
08-16-2008, 02:14 PM
It didn't say he was playing, either :hi:

I don't think he practiced this week. So I don't think he would play.
He practiced this week. I remember reading somewhere that he caught a pass from Jay and juked a couple of guys in the open field for a nice gain. I think he should be playing tonight.

slim
08-16-2008, 02:16 PM
He practiced this week. I remember reading somewhere that he caught a pass from Jay and juked a couple of guys in the open field for a nice gain. I think he should be playing tonight.

Oh, guess I missed that.

I hope he plays. That would be cool.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Slim, if he would have been out for the game, they'd of listed it. Go Hillis.

ikillz0mbies
08-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Am I the only one here that isn't comfortable with the safeties the Broncos currently have?

turftoad
08-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Am I the only one here that isn't comfortable with the safeties the Broncos currently have?

I don't like it at all.

It sounds like we have a couple of journeymen at the starting spots as of right now.

I really hope Barrett can step it up.

He's big and fast.

ikillz0mbies
08-16-2008, 03:42 PM
It's good to have a couple of safeties that could hit hard. Lynch will definitely be missed in that department, but what the Broncos are weak in is the coverage safeties. I'm not too impressed of what they have right now.

turftoad
08-16-2008, 04:00 PM
If you thik about it, we don't have one PROVEN guy back there right now.

Pretty scary.

LRtagger
08-16-2008, 04:36 PM
I have heard nothing but praise about McCree in camp reports. I'm more concerned with LB at this point.

slim
08-16-2008, 04:39 PM
I am more concerned with DL...we HAVE to find a pass rush this year AND stop the run.

G_Money
08-16-2008, 04:43 PM
If you thik about it, we don't have one PROVEN guy back there right now.

Pretty scary.

McCree's been playing this game a good long time, hasn't he? I mean, he's not exactly Atwater or younger Lynch, but he's certainly Sam Brandon.

Manuel's got a few years back there too. They're not top-notch players, but they can play. Manuel may be defective in pass coverage...but so was Lynch the last couple of years.

We may not like it, but we're no worse than last year at the position and might be better. I'm not a Hamza fan - I'm with SR on the whole bad-angle, whiff-master thing. But with McCree, Manuel , Barrett and Abdullah I'm not crying about the position. If we get a pass rush, they'll be fine. If we don't, having better safeties wouldn't help any more than having Champ and Bly back there helped us against the pass last year.

Figure out the blitzing and the pass rush first, then worry about safety. If Barrett can be the guy we're REALLY not hurting too badly at the position. If he's not we can address it next year. It won't be the sole savior or downfall of our season either way.

~G

Slick
08-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Good post G. If corner wasn't the deepest position on the team, I'd be more concerned. The front 7 is where we need the most improvement (understatement of the year).

Opposing TE's might beat our safeties, which sucks considering we go against Gates and Gonzales twice. Maybe Barrett can show coaches he has the size and speed to handle the task. I hope he plays a lot in the next few games.

nevcraw
08-16-2008, 06:32 PM
M & M will be fine.. & as G said, neither are HOF's but certainly capable of playing. I'm more concerned that our top 2 draft picks from last year are playing with stock boys and practise squadders. Moss and T Crow need to step it up.

dogfish
08-16-2008, 07:28 PM

you sure aren't. . .

"Give me 25," Hall said Friday after the Broncos' walk-through. "I'll take the 25 and be more than happy with it."

hell yea!

:woot: