PDA

View Full Version : What we will have to do to beat Jacksonville

konnorrollison
09-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Offense:

We will do hard running with Henry and Brandon and Javon will have to get open on 3rd and long. We will also have to pass protect and stop the blitz by hitting a checkdown receiver

Defensive

Stop the Jacksonville 2 back system (Taylor and Jones-Drew). Make them pass to Champs side (the whole field) and if not Champ, Dre

DenBronx
09-19-2007, 08:55 PM
hang a condom on a stick and glue it to henrys facemask. watch him run for 300+ yards!:laser::ridinghorse::boink:

BroncoWave
09-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Score more points than them...

Tned
09-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Have to stop the run better.

Skinny
09-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Offense:

We will do hard running with Henry and Brandon and Javon will have to get open on 3rd and long. We will also have to pass protect and stop the blitz by hitting a checkdown receiver

Defensive

Stop the Jacksonville 2 back system (Taylor and Jones-Drew). Make them pass to Champs side (the whole field) and if not Champ, DreYeah i agree with about stopping Taylor and Jones-Drew. With their run gaming hurting right now, the ofense is in limbo.

Northcutt is having a great start this season while Matt Jones has a total of 3catches and now seems to officially be in Del Rios doghouse.

Northcutt and Mercedes Lewis, right now are their biggest threats offensively.

Considering how "not like last year" their running game is so far this year and how poor our run defense has been, we're catching Jacksonville at the right time IMO.
TheOrlandoSentinel:Ground Game Not Going Yet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opponents are loading up the line of scrimmage to stop the Jags' running backs.

Alan Schmadtke | Sentinel Staff Writer
September 19, 2007

JACKSONVILLE - On the occasions Jacksonville's blockers leave the huddle, set up along the line of scrimmage and see a seven-man defensive front facing them, well, "It's a beautiful thing," guard Chris Naeole said.

A surprise gift.

It just doesn't happen very often.

"Nah, they all load the box," guard Vince Manuwai said of the defensive formations the Jaguars see most of the time. "That's just the way it is. Everybody we play is going to do that. They're always going to try to stop the run first."

For the most part, they're stopping it, too. With Maurice Jones-Drew establishing himself as a long-ball threat alongside longtime starter Fred Taylor, the Jags last year fashioned the third-best ground game in the NFL. After two games this year, their rushing attack is 21st.

It's hardly the production expected from an offensive line that was expected to hold the line while new offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter's passing attack got up to speed.

"Yes, it's coming along. No, it's not where it should be," Jags Coach Jack Del Rio said. "We're not proficient right now with it. It's not like there isn't anything good going on. . . . We just have a pretty high standard."

The "box" referred to by Naeole and Manuwai encompasses the number of defenders lined up in front of the offensive line and within 10 yards of the ball. A normal number is seven, typically four linemen and three linebackers. Eight usually means a safety that has moved closer to the line to act as an extra linebacker. An extra run-stopper.

Jags linemen see an eight-man box in their sleep. They fully expect to see it Sunday against Denver, a defense that's struggling to stop the run (27th in the NFL) even more than the Jags are establishing it. Oakland's LaMont Jordan rushed for 159 yards against the Broncos on Sunday; the Raiders gained 200 on the ground.

The reality of Eight Men In, however, means little in Jacksonville's big picture. Del Rio isn't changing his offensive philosophy, one that espouses a physical, effective and demoralizing ground attack. Witness his willingness to run the ball on fourth-and-1 from Atlanta's 49-yard line in the fourth period with the Jags ahead 10-7.

Jones-Drew gained six. He was one defender away from a 49-yard touchdown run.

"We're a half-man short from it being a breakout run," Del Rio said.

"When they bring that safety down, what can you do?" Manuwai said. "All you can do is make your block and hope somebody [on defense] misses. When you run against and eight-man, it's gonna be tough no matter what. It's just a long day."

The message Del Rio conveyed this week in the aftermath of Sunday's 13-7 victory against the Atlanta Falcons: Work hard, work smart and be patient. It came after Taylor and Jones-Drew became visibly frustrated with the run game's slow start.

Taylor dotted one near-miss run against the Falcons with a spike and was lucky not to get penalized for the outburst. Afterward he chastised himself for missing three cuts on potential long runs. He also pointed out a missed block by Manuwai, a rare admission from a veteran runner who usually praises his linemen.

"It's a little premature to say that [the ground game is struggling]," Taylor said. "I don't think we started really getting after people in the run game until the fourth or fifth game last year. [And] the first two weeks were kind of slow. I can vividly remember the Redskins game we had 20 yards rushing. And that was Game 4."

So far, the Jags are averaging 94 yards on the ground. Last year, en route to a 158.8-yard average, the Jags after two weeks were at . . . .94 yards a game.

Jacksonville tweaked its offensive line in the offseason, pulling out right tackle Maurice Williams and replacing him with free-agent signee Tony Pashos. It was a move designed to upgrade pass protection (another story for another day).

The Jags also are playing without longtime center Brad Meester, who is recovering from ankle surgery. Dennis Norman is filling in until Meester returns, probably within three weeks.

"It takes time on the offensive side of the ball," Taylor said. "It's usually the slowest of the three phases of team to come along. We'll be fine. No need to panic. We improved from [Week 1 to Week 2]. Hopefully, we can improve [this] week. Whatever teams are giving us, we're going to try to take advantage of it and win the game."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...,2643643.story

TXBRONC
09-19-2007, 09:45 PM
The best way to beat them is keep their defense on the field and get substantial lead. The obvious strength of their team is their defense, if they are forced to play catch I like our chances of putting them away.

BANJOPICKER1
09-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Stop the run,if we do that one thing we will win!!:defense:

Retired_Member_001
09-20-2007, 05:44 AM
Get Lynch to smash the little man (Jones Drew) with one of his big, John Lynch tackles.

That will help alot.

;)

BroncoWave
09-20-2007, 06:37 AM
This is a very important game IMO. If we lose this game, we could very easily start 2-4 given that our next 3 games would be against Indy, SD, and Green Bay. If we can at least beat JAX and GB and start 4-2, I would feel pretty good about the first month of the season. A win over SD would be REALLY nice though.

Watchthemiddle
09-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Touchdowns instead of Field Goals.

Establish our running game early.

Tackle!!

Make them throw to Champs side. :cool:

Mike
09-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Make them throw to Champs side. :cool:

Hehe...put Champ in Bly's jersey. :laugh:

lex
09-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Simply put, we need to start converting yards to points. Ideally we would jump on them early. I think we need to start throwing to the TE more and use more rollouts and screens. Their Dline is really physical and the rollouts and screens would hopefully make them less so.

I also think we need to stop guessing theyre going to pass so much on 2nd and long. It seems like thats when our defense gets gashed the most on running plays. Their WRs arent really THAT great from what Ive seen so we need to acknowledge the run and stop guessing the pass so much.

Lonestar
09-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Once inside the red zone we have to score each time we get there.

Special teams needs to be special. getting us beyond the 30 each time we receive it and keeping them inside the 20 each time the get it.

I fear for the running game against there really great DT's the best pair in the league.

Walker and Marshall will have to catch everything that is thrown to them this defense is way better than the last two we played.

I do not think we will be able to run on them till late in the game. When they are tried being at MILE HIGH.

underrated29
09-20-2007, 12:46 PM
we got to tire those big guys out. we need some screens, no to our wr to to the rb, set up some to selvin, make those big guyschase after jay, then they got to turn around and chase selvin.

lets make their defense run. 2 screens, one pass, and then travis up the middle.

and just for the record, we will beat indy. and should take the bolts as long as we keep lt in check, but as i said our lbs, should be prime by then.

lex
09-20-2007, 12:49 PM
Simply put, we need to start converting yards to points. Ideally we would jump on them early. I think we need to start throwing to the TE more and use more rollouts and screens. Their Dline is really physical and the rollouts and screens would hopefully make them less so.

I also think we need to stop guessing theyre going to pass so much on 2nd and long. It seems like thats when our defense gets gashed the most on running plays. Their WRs arent really THAT great from what Ive seen so we need to acknowledge the run and stop guessing the pass so much.

we got to tire those big guys out. we need some screens, no to our wr to to the rb, set up some to selvin, make those big guyschase after jay, then they got to turn around and chase selvin.

lets make their defense run. 2 screens, one pass, and then travis up the middle.

and just for the record, we will beat indy. and should take the bolts as long as we keep lt in check, but as i said our lbs, should be prime by then.

Great minds think alike.

Watchthemiddle
09-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Once inside the red zone we have to score each time we get there.

Special teams needs to be special. getting us beyond the 30 each time we receive it and keeping them inside the 20 each time the get it.

I fear for the running game against there really great DT's the best pair in the league.

Walker and Marshall will have to catch everything that is thrown to them this defense is way better than the last two we played.

I do not think we will be able to run on them till late in the game. When they are tried being at MILE HIGH.

They have a good defense and typically a good run d, but did you see what Tennessee and Chris Brown did to them week one? 282 yards on the ground.

I think I heard yesterday that either Stroud or Henderson is not 100%. Thats a good thing for us.

Lonestar
09-20-2007, 01:54 PM
They have a good defense and typically a good run d, but did you see what Tennessee and Chris Brown did to them week one? 282 yards on the ground.

I think I heard yesterday that either Stroud or Henderson is not 100%. Thats a good thing for us.

Perhaps it is a injury but they tend to really play us tough. The only thing we have going for us it they are pay in DEN opposed to down there.

Watchthemiddle
09-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Perhaps it is a injury but they tend to really play us tough. The only thing we have going for us it they are pay in DEN opposed to down there.

That and we don't have Q anymore either...:ahhhhh:

The Dark Knight
09-20-2007, 02:20 PM

I don't think we're going to beat Indy in Indy.

Our middle is too exposed, and they have Clark, Addai and oh yeah, that Manning guy.

broncosfanscott
09-20-2007, 09:53 PM
The best way to beat them is keep their defense on the field and get substantial lead. The obvious strength of their team is their defense, if they are forced to play catch I like our chances of putting them away.

Starting early with scores and long drives will definatly wear down their defense. This will allow us to control the clock and maintain our lead late in the game.

As watchthemiddle stated, the Titans ran pretty well on them in week one hopefully we can do the same.

BroncoWave
09-20-2007, 09:58 PM
That and we don't have Q anymore either...:ahhhhh:

THAT is the key to the game! :D

I still remember that game. 7-6 loss. Damn you Q!