PDA

View Full Version : Approach to meaningless games varies

broncobryce
11-13-2010, 04:00 PM
This guy played in the NFL, interesting take.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=tucker_ross&id=5784143

By Ross Tucker
ESPN.com

How does an NFL player get up to play in games that are meaningless? It's not easy, and it varies greatly depending on the leadership of the team in general and mindset of the individual player in particular.

I was unfortunately in this situation a few times, and there are several directions a player can take. So if you are a fan of the Carolina Panthers, Buffalo Bills and, yes, even those Dallas Cowboys, pay attention and try to identify which players on your team go in which direction.

Players take their cues from the leaders of the team, much more so than the coaches. If the leaders remain mentally focused, there is a much better chance more of the other individuals on the team will do the same. If not, look out.

The top five to 10 players on a team, the elite guys, are more disappointed than anything, but most of them still go about their business in the same way because they wouldn't have gotten to that status without having great discipline and great work ethic.

Then there are the guys like me who realize it is actually more important to play well when things are going poorly than it is when things are going well. If an average player has a couple of bad plays in a win, that usually is forgiven. In a loss? Could be grounds for a switch.

The only constant in the NFL is change, and everyone in the building should know, even though some inexplicably don't, that a horrendous season means a whole lot of change is ahead. I was always keenly aware of that, as my coach was fired at the end of my first three seasons in the NFL. As such, I would focus even more intently on my weekly preparation, knowing all too well that I needed to put my best foot forward so I wasn't part of the impending change. And even if I was going to be one of the ones shipped out the door, I had to put some good performances on tape so I might land a job elsewhere. A decent amount of players in the NFL are cognizant of this dynamic, especially the older guys who have been through it before.

Then there is the oblivious group -- usually young players who don't really pay attention to the media and fans and don't really think about the fact that they are out of the playoff race before it started. Even if they do realize it, they don't think about the consequences of such a disastrous season because they have never been through it before. For them, ignorance is bliss. Kind of.

And then there is the last group, the guys who realize they are just playing out the string and treat it as such. The more guys like this on your team, the worse off you are. They will let their preparation slide during the week both mentally and physically because they will wonder what the point is of putting in extra time. Like I wrote about last week, some of them will no longer be accountable because they feel like they no longer have anyone they need to be accountable to, especially if they believe the coach is on his way out and don't fear any type of discipline from management.

It will be very interesting over the next eight weeks to watch these teams, and others that soon will be in the same situation, to see which players step up their play and overcome the adversity, and which don't.

broncobryce
11-13-2010, 04:04 PM
I think McDaniel's will get another year, so some of this is not relevant. But if we do lose a few more games it will be interesting to see who mails it in.

Dzone
11-13-2010, 04:14 PM
great article!
I will keep watching the games, even if we get stuck in a long losing streak., I might go play outside if we are down by 35 at halftime...God forbid!...but if Tebow is getting in quality time, that will keep a lot of fans around.

Canmore
11-13-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm such a fanatic that I watch every minute of every game, even the blowouts. I certainly hope the players don't mail it in.

Italianmobstr7
11-13-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm such a fanatic that I watch every minute of every game, even the blowouts. I certainly hope the players don't mail it in.

I am too. I have since I was 5. Been 17 years since I've missed more than 30 seconds of a Broncos game. I love my team. Win or lose, I'll support the orange and blue.

Cugel
11-14-2010, 12:36 AM
I really still think there'll be a fan revolt if McDaniels comes back for another year after the team goes 3-13 or 4-12 or something. Seriously? The WORST season in over 40 years isn't enough to fire the coach?

Shazam!
11-14-2010, 01:50 AM
if McDaniels comes back for another year after the team goes 3-13 or 4-12 or something. Seriously? The WORST season in over 40 years isn't enough to fire the coach

If Denver does finish that badly McDaniels has no chance. I'd bet on it. He's gone.

I don't think Denver is playing meaningless games... yet.

Canmore
11-14-2010, 01:56 AM
If Denver does finish that badly McDaniels has no chance. I'd bet on it. He's gone.

If we lose to the Chiefs we will be playing meaningless games. Unfortunately no matter how bad we finish, and I think it is going to be bad, I'm afraid McDaniels will be back next year, assuming we have football.

Lancane
11-14-2010, 02:39 AM

He'd have to win big to really calm the fans down, like win four in a row...and I just do not see that happening, and I won't say that it can not happen, after all we've all seen some miraculous happenings in world of sports. One thing we have to remember is that we Coloradoans are a fickle bunch, for example, it only took one really bad Republican President to convert the state to one of the most powerful Democratic states, and even with the ups and downs that followed, we have remained a Blue State...that's some powerful changing.

Will McDaniels be back? Who knows, but I would not be surprised that if we lose to Kansas City in a bad way by some chance that he's fired within a day or two, but I also would not be surprised if he retained his job. Right now, none of us can answer...we don't know if Ellis has the power or if Bowlen does, or if he is really sick! It's quite plausible that they already plan to fire his ass at the end of the season no matter the outcome at the end. We're all in the dark, so is the press.

rcsodak
11-14-2010, 02:27 PM
I really still think there'll be a fan revolt if McDaniels comes back for another year after the team goes 3-13 or 4-12 or something. Seriously? The WORST season in over 40 years isn't enough to fire the coach?

Only for those that live in lala-land and expect nothing but 10+ win seasons or BUST.
They're not grounded in reality, IMO.
New regimes usually only happen with 2,3,4 win teams. Those fans have something to look forward to.
When an 8 win team changes, anything LESS than that is considered blasphemy and some fans seem to take it personally.
Then there's the fan and, as is alot of people, can't HANDLE change. They're not believers in the "change is good" mantra.

I happen to think good comes from change.

Just my take.

rcsodak
11-15-2010, 09:50 PM
hindsight is enlightening.....:lol: