PDA

View Full Version : Elway remembers when he was almost run out of town

broncobryce
11-13-2010, 03:31 PM
By Bill Williamson

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/20079/john-elway-talks-up-broncos

The struggling Denver Broncos received a rare pep talk from the most iconic name in team history this week.

Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway visited the 2-6 Broncos and told them to persevere. The team has been booed at home and second-year coach Josh McDaniels is not a popular figure in the city. Yet Elway, who is interested in becoming a part owner of the team, told the players to hang in there as they prepared for Sunday’s home game against Kansas City.

“John Elway came in the other day and said something that was very important and a little bit how we were feeling too; it felt like we were pressing to make plays, trying to do a bunch of things that weren’t us,” Denver linebacker Mario Haggan told reporters in Denver on Friday. “He just talked to us and told us about his time and how everybody wanted to run him out of town too (laughing). He was in the same situation and they were 5-11 and the media tried to pack his bags too. He just told us what we believe — that the only thing we need to worry about is who is inside this building and that’s what we’re worrying about right now. (We’re) trying to keep everybody focused and go play the Chiefs.”

I covered Denver since 2004. This is the first time I heard that Elway, who played for Denver from 1983-98, has addressed the team in the past six years. I’m not saying this is the first time Elway has ever addressed the team. I just never heard of it before.

Haggan said Elway’s visit had an impact.

“The guy, he’s everything to this franchise,” Haggan said. “I think he’s probably the most popular guy ever for this franchise and to see him around, to have him talk to us and everybody was at attention -- the respect that he demanded -- everybody got down on a knee and listened to what he had to say. When you have an icon like that around to talk to you, it’s very important and a big deal.”

Elway has saved the Broncos plenty of times in the past. Perhaps he just did it again.

broncobryce
11-13-2010, 03:33 PM
This season reminds me a lot of the 6-10 season. Just seems like a play here a play there are being missed. It all adds up to losses.
I'm glad Elway is doing what he can to help. If only he would strap on the helmet and REALLY do something.......

Nomad
11-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Maybe he can be the motivational speaker each Sunday!!

broncobryce
11-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Maybe he can be the motivational speaker each Sunday!!

First I'd like to see the results. :lol:
I'm glad he's around to help.

Dzone
11-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Certainly Elway has to know that Bowlen is in bad shape right now. Maybe its time for Elway to step up and start taking on the essense of ownership.
We just have to win tomorrow. With or without DJ

dogfish
11-13-2010, 03:56 PM
This season reminds me a lot of the 6-10 season. Just seems like a play here a play there are being missed. It all adds up to losses.
I'm glad Elway is doing what he can to help. If only he would strap on the helmet and REALLY do something.......

i'd rather see him replace joe ellis as bowlen's confidante and closest advisor. . .

broncobryce
11-13-2010, 04:05 PM
i'd rather see him replace joe ellis as bowlen's confidante and closest advisor. . .

That would be awesome. I just want to see success.

Elevation inc
11-13-2010, 04:22 PM

that would be a Epic save for denver and the biggest thing Elway has done for the franchise since 1998......

the only one recently that had a shot at Ellis's job was Jim goodman and Ellis made damn sure to let him walk quick because he knew it......

But elway could be that guy

dogfish
11-13-2010, 04:25 PM
that would be a Epic save for denver and the biggest thing Elway has done for the franchise since 1998......

the only one recently that had a shot at Ellis's job was Jim goodman and Ellis made damn sure to let him walk quick because he knew it......

But elway could be that guy

i'm guessing elway is the ONLY guy. . .

Dzone
11-13-2010, 04:28 PM
That would be so excellent for Elway to replace Joe Ellis, unfortunately, Ellis is entrenched way too deep

spikerman
11-13-2010, 04:28 PM
I don't know. Is there anything in Elway's background that suggests he would be able to build a successful franchise? He's a GREAT player, but so were Bart Starr and Forrest Greg, but as coaches and personnel people.... uhhh not so much.

broncobryce
11-13-2010, 04:36 PM
I don't know. Is there anything in Elway's background that suggests he would be able to build a successful franchise? He's a GREAT player, but so were Bart Starr and Forrest Greg, but as coaches and personnel people.... uhhh not so much.

Depends. Didn't his UFL franchise or whatever go to the 'superbowl' of that league? Cant remember if they won it or not. So depends on if you take that into account or not.

spikerman
11-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Depends. Didn't his UFL franchise or whatever go to the 'superbowl' of that league? Cant remember if they won it or not. So depends on if you take that into account or not.

Yeah, they might have and I know he was a part owner, but was he also the personnel guy?

dogfish
11-13-2010, 04:39 PM

how'd he do in the arena league? i never paid attention. . .

more to the point, i'm not suggesting that elway take over any official football position-- i'm not saying i want him for GM. . . but it would be nice if somebody with a clue about football was standing behind the throne whispering in pat's ear. . . and right now, Mr. Bronco is the only person i can think of who might have enough of bowlen's respect to get his ear away from ellis. . .

Krugan
11-13-2010, 04:44 PM
The Crush were damn good.

Think they won 2 championships, 1 for sure, I watched the one I know of.

That team was always in the hunt, for what that is worth.

Frankly, I dont think John could do any worse than what we have, at least with a HOF'ef there, players that arent here now might take abit more interest, considering where this team is now.

broncobryce
11-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Looks like he was part owner and they won the arena bowl in 2005. I would be good with him taking Ellis role.

Elevation inc
11-13-2010, 04:46 PM
how'd he do in the arena league? i never paid attention. . .

more to the point, i'm not suggesting that elway take over any official football position-- i'm not saying i want him for GM. . . but it would be nice if somebody with a clue about football was standing behind the throne whispering in pat's ear. . . and right now, Mr. Bronco is the only person i can think of who might have enough of bowlen's respect to get his ear away from ellis. . .

Ellis has no clue about football john could do his job in his sleep.....it wouldnt have anything to do with building the franchise really.....Ellis is a cofidant bowlen listens to.....its just Ellis is clueless about football, john isnt.....lets pray DOG...lets pray....:lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
11-13-2010, 04:55 PM

His degree is in economics - not sure that would apply. Also, he has had many business ventures.

Cugel
11-13-2010, 05:22 PM
It's nice of Elway to care about his old team and try and pep them up, but it's going to have ZERO effect. This team has given up on McDaniels. They're playing without pep. They could even win a game or two and all the fans would say "they've turned the corner!"

But, it would all be an illusion. This team sucks and isn't going anywhere. :coffee:

1. They don't have an Elway on this team. Even when Elway's team sucked his first year and he wasn't ready for prime time, it was obvious from the first that he had flashes of simply amazing talent. He made athletic plays virtually no QB can make, running to his right and throwing 30 yards cross-field from his back foot. It was clearly inevitably just a matter of time before he matured into a great player (although he might not ever have become the Hall of Famer he later became).

I like Orton, but let's not be ridiculous and compare them.

2. Dan Reeves was a decent coach who started right away building a solid defense with smart, savvy drafting. Josh McDaniels isn't. His coaching sucks and his drafting is worse. (I wasn't a fan of Reeves in his showdown with Elway, but he was still 10 times the coach McDaniels will ever be -- as he proved by taking the Falcons to the SB).

As for Elway he's not going to replace Joe Ellis and it wouldn't make a bit of difference if he did. Ellis is a BUSINESS guy, who handles the financial end of things.

What's wrong with the Broncos isn't their stadium revenue plan! Nor is it the team's "cap-onomics".

The team is badly coached and prepared, and the players aren't playing well for a variety of reasons (including that they don't particularly like playing for McDaniels and seem to have given up on the season).

Then. it's also obvious that McDaniels is steadily losing his self-confidence. He came here with an abundance of ego, but like many people with colossal arrogance and inflated opinions of themselves he's proved he can't handle adversity very well. It shows on the sidelines each week where he now stands deflated -- a far cry from the fiery coach of last season.

dogfish
11-13-2010, 05:51 PM
It's nice of Elway to care about his old team and try and pep them up, but it's going to have ZERO effect. This team has given up on McDaniels. They're playing without pep. They could even win a game or two and all the fans would say "they've turned the corner!"

But, it would all be an illusion. This team sucks and isn't going anywhere. :coffee:

1. They don't have an Elway on this team. Even when Elway's team sucked his first year and he wasn't ready for prime time, it was obvious from the first that he had flashes of simply amazing talent. He made athletic plays virtually no QB can make, running to his right and throwing 30 yards cross-field from his back foot. It was clearly inevitably just a matter of time before he matured into a great player (although he might not ever have become the Hall of Famer he later became).

2. Dan Reeves was a decent coach who started right away building a solid defense with smart, savvy drafting. Josh McDaniels isn't. His coaching sucks and his drafting is worse. (I wasn't a fan of Reeves in his showdown with Elway, but he was still 10 times the coach McDaniels will ever be -- as he proved by taking the Falcons to the SB).

As for Elway he's not going to replace Joe Ellis and it wouldn't make a bit of difference if he did. Ellis is a BUSINESS guy, who handles the financial end of things.
What's wrong with the Broncos isn't their stadium revenue plan! Nor is it the team's "cap-onomics".

The team is badly coached and prepared, and the players aren't playing well for a variety of reasons (including that they don't particularly like playing for McDaniels and seem to have given up on the season).

Then. it's also obvious that McDaniels is steadily losing his self-confidence. He came here with an abundance of ego, but like many people with colossal arrogance and inflated opinions of themselves he's proved he can't handle adversity very well. It shows on the sidelines each week where he now stands deflated -- a far cry from the fiery coach of last season.

cug, a lot of people think ellis is the guy responsible for hiring the coach you bitch about so much. . .

;)

GEM
11-13-2010, 06:08 PM

Colorado Crush...

GEM
11-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Elway was one of the most active arena football owners out there. He was involved in everyday activities and he was present at every game. He made team decisions. He could be fantastic in that capacity....hell it couldn't be any worse that what is going on down at Dove Valley right now.

It would definitely win back the fans.

spikerman
11-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Elway was one of the most active arena football owners out there. He was involved in everyday activities and he was present at every game. He made team decisions. He could be fantastic in that capacity....hell it couldn't be any worse that what is going on down at Dove Valley right now.

It would definitely win back the fans.

I would agree that it couldn't be any worse. I'm familiar with Elway and the Crush, but living down in Texas I didn't hear much about how involved he was in the day to day operation of the franchise. If he had a large influence on that team that would be great!

Not to derail the thread, but does anybody know why the Crush didn't reform under the new AFL?

Tned
11-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Before the London game, they asked all the Broncos fans to show up at Picadilly Circus for a pic. Elway, Zim and company showed up.

It was Halloween, and not a single person asked Elway what kind of candy he gave out!!

http://www.broncosforums.com/downloads/Broncos_in_London.jpg

spikerman
11-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Before the London game, they asked all the Broncos fans to show up at Picadilly Circus for a pic. Elway, Zim and company showed up.

It was Halloween, and not a single person asked Elway what kind of candy he gave out!!

Awsome pic T!

Nomad
11-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Was the guy in the orange suit and top hat just a random fan????

Tned
11-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Was the guy in the orange suit and top hat just a random fan????

No, he was from the Broncos. He was with the cheerleaders and Miles. Right after the pic, they had a pregame party at a sports bar, and he, Miles and the Cheerleaders were there.

pnbronco
11-13-2010, 07:39 PM

That is a great picture Tned, thanks for sharing it.

You know I remember that year and I also remember what John went through. People were brutal to him and he was right, the press was asking for him to step down and leave Denver. At the end of the season he was seriously thinking of quiting and was so down.

I know I posted this before but I'll say it again. I saw him and he was just sad, it had been such a hard year and had heard so many boo's from the fans. I smiled and said John if your ready to move on or spend time with your family then thank you for everything you've brought to Denver. If you want to keep on going tell the press to jump in the lake and please come back. I know he made up his own mind along with Janet, but I did the only thing I could which was offer support and not add to the problem.

You know what if John had listened to the fans and press? Would we ever have won a Super Bowl? I cried like a baby when they won the first Super Bowl and a large part of that was thinking back to that day and seeing the pain in John's eyes and the joy he was feeling for persevering. The players he spoke to know John has walked in those shoes and can see the results of his perseverance.

Tned
11-13-2010, 07:44 PM

You know I remember that year and I also remember what John went through. People were brutal to him and he was right, the press was asking for him to step down and leave Denver. At the end of the season he was seriously thinking of quiting and was so down.

I know I posted this before but I'll say it again. I saw him and he was just sad, it had been such a hard year and had heard so many boo's from the fans. I smiled and said John if your ready to move on or spend time with your family then thank you for everything you've brought to Denver. If you want to keep on going tell the press to jump in the lake and please come back. I know he made up his own mind along with Janet, but I did the only thing I could which was offer support and not add to the problem.

You know what if John had listened to the fans and press? Would we ever have won a Super Bowl? I cried like a baby when they won the first Super Bowl and a large part of that was thinking back to that day and seeing the pain in John's eyes and the joy he was feeling for persevering. The players he spoke to know John has walked in those shoes and can see the results of his perseverance.

I saw it all from long distance (Arkansas), with no 24/7, live internet coverage like we have now. I would listen to KOA every night and watch interviews on TV and such.

I couldn't believe the crap that the media and fans were giving him, when he WAS the franchise, he WAS the reason that a few years earlier the Broncos went to three SB's in four years.

Yea, it would have sucked if the fans, media and Reeves had driving him into retirement or to another team.

P.S. I didn't take the picture, that was taken from a team photographer. They told us they would put it on the website, so people weren't jumping out of the photo to take their own pics.

pnbronco
11-13-2010, 08:05 PM
It's a great picture. It's so cool to see that many Bronco fans so far from home. Did you have a good time at the game?

Tned
11-13-2010, 08:08 PM
It's a great picture. It's so cool to see that many Bronco fans so far from home. Did you have a good time at the game?

The pic, pregame party and stuff like that was awesome. The game was good, but the combination of the loss and that 90% of the people were rooting for SF, kept it from being great.

Shazam!
11-13-2010, 10:18 PM
I still think that Pat should sell him a small stake in the franchise. Having John around would do wonders.

Cugel
11-13-2010, 11:59 PM
cug, a lot of people think ellis is the guy responsible for hiring the coach you bitch about so much. . .

;)

So? Does that mean Bowlen will fire him? I think not. McDaniels impressed everybody, including Pat Bowlen with his "plan."

When he came here, I supported him. I would have preferred Steve Spagnuolo because of the defensive job he did in NY, but welcomed a change. It was time for Shanahan to go, the defense was beyond horrible.

But, McDaniels started screwing up the minute he got here and hasn't stopped since. Instead of concentrating on fixing the defense he screwed up the offense!

Then he fired Nolan, the ONE thing the defense had going for it. Since then it's been a total collapse into the present team that can't stop the run or pass, and can't run or score.

It's long past time for Bowlen to admit he made a mistake and for McDaniels to get out of town.

Cugel
11-14-2010, 12:08 AM

You mean IDIOTS were "booing him." Reeves threw him in his first season as a rookie when he (and later Reeves) admitted that he "wasn't ready." You just don't do that to a rookie QB. The team had little talent and it was overwhelming, expecting Elway to be a one-man team and savior.

The instant he couldn't meet those expectations the press turned on him and a bunch of idiots booed.

But, the majority of the fans were more patient and understood that it would take time. It took 3 years until Elway was ready for "The Drive."

Comparing THAT situation to this one is just idiotic.

Great but inexperienced QB versus -- Kyle Orton.

Good solid coach (especially on defense) versus McDaniels.

Team building on success, getting better and better. Team falling apart after a 6-0 start in 2009, reaching rock bottom this year by being blown out in the worst division home loss in Franchise history.

NO comparison whatsoever.

It seems like the homers around here will grasp at any straw, no matter how flimsy. Be realistic. You KNOW this team is NOT about to "turn it around."

Even if they win against KC they're still who they are. A floundering team with a young punk coach who, in accord with the Peter Principle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle), has risen to the level of his incompetence. :coffee:

Tned
11-14-2010, 12:15 AM
You mean IDIOTS were "booing him." Reeves threw him in his first season as a rookie when he (and later Reeves) admitted that he "wasn't ready." You just don't do that to a rookie QB. The team had little talent and it was overwhelming, expecting Elway to be a one-man team and savior.

The instant he couldn't meet those expectations the press turned on him and a bunch of idiots booed.

But, the majority of the fans were more patient and understood that it would take time. It took 3 years until Elway was ready for "The Drive."

Comparing THAT situation to this one is just idiotic.

Great but inexperienced QB versus -- Kyle Orton.

Good solid coach (especially on defense) versus McDaniels.

Team building on success, getting better and better. Team falling apart after a 6-0 start in 2009, reaching rock bottom this year by being blown out in the worst division home loss in Franchise history.

NO comparison whatsoever.

It seems like the homers around here will grasp at any straw, no matter how flimsy. Be realistic. You KNOW this team is NOT about to "turn it around."

Even if they win against KC they're still who they are. A floundering team with a young punk coach who, in accord with the Peter Principle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle), has risen to the level of his incompetence. :coffee:

First, you could have made the same point without saying, "Comparing THAT situation to this one is just idiotic." There is no need to be insulting.

Beyond that, you completely blew your point, because what you responded to wasn't about Elway's rookie year. It was something that took place in the early '90s, shortly after the Super Bowl losses, when the media and fan behavior came close to having Elway walk away from football.

If you're going to be insulting and obnoxious in your post, you should make sure you get it right.

Bosco
11-14-2010, 03:39 AM
Then he fired Nolan Wrong.

Bosco
11-14-2010, 03:42 AM
I still think that Pat should sell him a small stake in the franchise. Having John around would do wonders.

I'd be all for that, but is it possible due to the Edgar Kaiser issue?

Canmore
11-14-2010, 03:59 AM
I'd be all for that, but is it possible due to the Edgar Kaiser issue?

I've asked that question before and never gotten a response. I don't know if anybody knows.

Elevation inc
11-14-2010, 04:33 AM

;)

he is so in essence everyone that has issues with MCD should have issues with the guy who blindly hired him and recommended to bowlen he could handle it all....

so broncos fans lets unite for a change....fire Joe ellis and make the broncos John's team again....:lol:

HORSEPOWER 56
11-14-2010, 12:13 PM

Here, here! Motion seconded, carried, and passed!

Okay, now that that's done, somebody give Bowlen a call and let him know who the new COO is...:D

Jake Klug
11-14-2010, 01:04 PM
he is so in essence everyone that has issues with MCD should have issues with the guy who blindly hired him and recommended to bowlen he could handle it all....

so broncos fans lets unite for a change....fire Joe ellis and make the broncos John's team again....:lol:

This is very true. After 59-14, the fanbase has been a lot less divided.

rcsodak
11-14-2010, 02:04 PM

I love how you type so 'matter-of-factly', cug.

I bet you're a hoot at class reunions. :lol:

Lancane
11-14-2010, 02:39 PM
I've asked that question before and never gotten a response. I don't know if anybody knows.

Can, John Elway originally was set to purchase 10% of the team in 2004, Kaiser took Bowlen to court citing that it was an infringement on the contract between he and the Bowlen siblings, where in that he be notified and have first option in the sale of the franchise or at least the majority. Originally a court ruled in favor of Kaiser, stating that only he could purchase 10% of the team and at the same price and guidelines that Elway would have received. However, Bowlen took it to back to court and the decision was reversed in favor of Elway and Bowlen. Since then there has been little mention of Elway purchasing any percentage of the franchise, some fans have even been uneasy because John Elway has sold most of his Colorado businesses and relocated to California, and we all know he pushed for a new team in Los Angeles and for him to be a part owner of that franchise...so some may take the sale of the team as a possible start to being relocated to Los Angeles, therein a lot of fans believe the sale could be a bad move, others believe otherwise.

broncobryce
11-14-2010, 10:52 PM
So, Elway does need to give a speech every week. FTW

pnbronco
11-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Thank you John!!!! Can John add one more come back to his record????

Oh and the team for not giving up, when they could of and playing for each other.

Broncolingus
11-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Just for the record, I NEVER wanted Elway out of town...

...maybe do something with the friggin haircut early on, but never leave the Bronc's...

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/84409592.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548AAE4B9E6D1BC425C A963B677065CB49488295409A5DE5014

...of course, I hope history repeats itself....:D

http://prosportschat.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/tim-tebow-haircut2.jpg