PDA

View Full Version : Should Broncos trade DJ Williams because of his big suspension risk?

Tned
11-13-2010, 02:37 PM
In the past, one of the arguments for trading a player was that he's one mistake away from being suspended for half the season, or more. It would seem that now, DJ will probably not only get 1-4 game suspension, but is probably one more mistake away from an 8-16 game suspension.

So, based on the previously argued reasons, shouldn't the Broncos move DJ as soon as possible, because the risk is too high to have a key starter one mistake away from missing so much time?

Nomad
11-13-2010, 02:41 PM
I know where you are going with this and why you brought it up, but if Williams isn't willing to seek help and we know what his evident problem is and also admitted he's not going to change then I would seek out the possibility!!

spikerman
11-13-2010, 02:43 PM
I would think that his trade value would be extremely low right now because other teams would be scared of the same thing.

turftoad
11-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Seems logical for this front office. I mean, isn't that part of the reason Marshall was traded.

Myself, I say no. He's a hell of a player and must be respected by his team mates. He is a captain.

Cugel
11-13-2010, 02:46 PM
In the past, one of the arguments for trading a player was that he's one mistake away from being suspended for half the season, or more. It would seem that now, DJ will probably not only get 1-4 game suspension, but is probably one more mistake away from an 8-16 game suspension.

So, based on the previously argued reasons, shouldn't the Broncos move DJ as soon as possible, because the risk is too high to have a key starter one mistake away from missing so much time?
Why not? They've traded away virtually everybody else with talent on this team!

Why not have a fire-sale? Start with Orton, then Dumervil, Williams, Ryan Clady and Brandon Lloyd. Then they can release Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins and we're done!

100% talent-free team! :coffee:

T.K.O.
11-13-2010, 02:47 PM
OK.........:whoknows:

turftoad
11-13-2010, 02:47 PM
I know where you are going with this and why you brought it up, but if Williams isn't willing to seek help and we know what his evident problem is and also admitted he's not going to change then I would seek out the possibility!!

We don't know that for sure. That was a tweet rumor as far as we know.

Nomad
11-13-2010, 02:49 PM
I would think that his trade value would be extremely low right now because other teams would be scared of the same thing.

Yeah, the key thing for me is he said he wasn't going to change, so you always have that risk! We could keep him but I surely wouldn't give him a big payday!! He's an idiot to put his career on shaky ground over booze and that we're even at this point of discussion!!

Tned
11-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Why not? They've traded away virtually everybody else with talent on this team!

Why not have a fire-sale? Start with Orton, then Dumervil, Williams, Ryan Clady and Brandon Lloyd. Then they can release Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins and we're done!

100% talent-free team! :coffee:

Yes, but wouldn't you agree that if it was a talent free team that was in fact made up of "team first" guys that had no baggage, that the Broncos would be better off?

Nomad
11-13-2010, 02:50 PM
We don't know that for sure. That was a tweet rumor as far as we know.

He hasn't denied it, so who knows!!

spikerman
11-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Yes, but wouldn't you agree that if it was a talent free team that was in fact made up of "team first" guys that had no baggage, that the Broncos would be better off?

I wouldn't. It will be a group of untalented, "team first" guys getting their butts kicked every Sunday. A lot like what we're seeing now.

frauschieze
11-13-2010, 02:52 PM

Troll. :eviltongue:

:hi:

turftoad
11-13-2010, 02:52 PM

Exactly! Who knows?

Tned
11-13-2010, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't. It will be a group of untalented, "team first" guys getting their butts kicked every Sunday. A lot like what we're seeing now.

I know, but if the alternative is a bunch of talented, selfish, me first guys, even if we win a few more games, aren't they kind of hollow victories? Shouldn't we stand on principle as fans and want no part of a team made up of anything short of choir boy material?

TiminatorTebow
11-13-2010, 02:54 PM
YES! Dj is the most overated player on this team wirth Chump coming in a close second.

Tned
11-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Troll. :eviltongue:

:hi:

Means nothing without pictures... ;)

http://www.broncosforums.com/downloads/sign_trolls.gif

http://www.broncosforums.com/downloads/troll.jpg

Timmy!
11-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Hellllll no. We just gave him an extension a couple years ago, and he's probably the tackler on the entire team. We are very weak at ILB, trading our best one would be retarded. Hopefully DJ can get it together, because the Broncos need him. Having said all that, I do think ILB needs to be addressed in FA or a 2nd/3rd round pick.

T.K.O.
11-13-2010, 02:59 PM
this thread should come with a warning label,advising readers to bring waders and a shovel;)

Tned
11-13-2010, 03:00 PM
this thread should come with a warning label,advising readers to bring waders and a shovel;)

Seriously, wouldn't the same logic apply to this situation that we heard with Marshall? It's too big a risk to have a key starter that is one mistake away from being suspended for 8-16 games.

Nomad
11-13-2010, 03:01 PM

And the little 'stirring the pot' icon!!! IMO, you can't equate this with Marshall as far as character issues. Williams has a dependency issue which can be fixed if he's willing to try.

spikerman
11-13-2010, 03:02 PM
I know, but if the alternative is a bunch of talented, selfish, me first guys, even if we win a few more games, aren't they kind of hollow victories? Shouldn't we stand on principle as fans and want no part of a team made up of anything short of choir boy material?

oh, I see what you did there. I'm not a smart man.

Maybe Denver should forfeit their SB wins. After all, I'll bet at least one of the guys on the team had selfish motivations for playing the game. ;)

Buff
11-13-2010, 03:03 PM
I think the argument is that we shouldn't give a guy a big $$ contract when he's on the verge of a suspension. We've already paid DJ his big bonus, so we may we well keep him around. It will probably affect his next contract though.

spikerman
11-13-2010, 03:03 PM
We may be looking at this all wrong. Maybe DJ plays better with a few shots of Tequila before the game. Has anybody ever smelled his Gatorade bottle on game day?

Nomad
11-13-2010, 03:06 PM
We may be looking at this all wrong. Maybe DJ plays better with a few shots of Tequila before the game. Has anybody ever smelled his Gatorade bottle on game day?

Babe Ruth played drunk...then again that's baseball!!:D Haven't heard about football players!!

Watchthemiddle
11-13-2010, 03:22 PM
There is no comparison to DJ and Marshall.

DJ's problem can be fixed, Marshall's couldn't. One pouted at practice, was punting the ball around and dropping passes in practice, was not a team player and looked out for himself.

The other is/was a team captain and has never taken a play off in practice or gametime.

DJ can get help for his drinking and driving. Once Marshall had it in his mind to be a baby, he was helpless.

Dzone
11-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Yeah, the key thing for me is he said he wasn't going to change, so you always have that risk! We could keep him but I surely wouldn't give him a big payday!! He's an idiot to put his career on shaky ground over booze and that we're even at this point of discussion!!
No doubt about it. And when someone is addicted to booze, it is DAMN hard to quit, even when your career is at risk...He was out getting wasted on a Thursday night before a MAJOR game...Maybe DJ would have had a HOF career if he wasnt a drunk

broncobryce
11-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Possibly. Is he demanding a new contract like Marshall was? Can we get two 2nd's for him?

Nomad
11-13-2010, 03:41 PM
No doubt about it. And when someone is addicted to booze, it is DAMN hard to quit, even when your career is at risk...He was out getting wasted 3 nights before a MAJOR game...Maybe DJ would have had a HOF career if he wasnt a drunk

I didn't know this! Well, there are many jobs out there that with even one DUI, you lose your job! I know at some of these power plants/refineries around here, they have breathilizers and you have to breath into them every morning before work!!!

frauschieze
11-13-2010, 03:42 PM
No doubt about it. And when someone is addicted to booze, it is DAMN hard to quit, even when your career is at risk...He was out getting wasted 3 nights before a MAJOR game...Maybe DJ would have had a HOF career if he wasnt a drunk

I missed where it was reported that he was getting wasted 3 nights a week before a major game. Can you point me to the article?

Dzone
11-13-2010, 03:47 PM
I didn't know this! Well, there are many jobs out there that with even one DUI, you lose your job! I know at some of these power plants/refineries around here, they have breathilizers and you have to breath into them every morning before work!!!

Thats a good idea. I own my own business, so during my years of drinking, I pulled it off, but had I been an employee, I would have been fired about 20 times for showing up to work wasted...Thank God I have 3 years behind me without a single drink of alcohol..whew...damn stuff about killed me...Its a miracle I held on to everything

Dzone
11-13-2010, 03:49 PM
I missed where it was reported that he was getting wasted 3 nights a week before a major game. Can you point me to the article?

My bad. I meant to say that he was out three nights PRIOR to a major game

dogfish
11-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Should Broncos trade DJ Williams because of his big suspension risk?

****!

:coffee:

Elevation inc
11-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Seems logical for this front office. I mean, isn't that part of the reason Marshall was traded.

Myself, I say no. He's a hell of a player and must be respected by his team mates. He is a captain.

Was a captain:lol:

I Eat Staples
11-13-2010, 04:26 PM

This is my opinion completely.

Elevation inc
11-13-2010, 04:26 PM
they wont trade him DJ and MCD have a good relationship and DJ already got paid and still has like 3 years left on his deal, we traded masrhall not because of suspension risk but becasue he wanted to much money with suspension risks. Thats what people were arguing....not the suspension itself but paying 40 mil plus to a guy who could be gone for 8 games quickly. Dj is under contract for good cost. it would be pointless to get rid of him or trade him unless it was for a Better LB at same cost, which wont happen....

Lb's are harder to find than Wr's for our system...I dont miss marshall at all to be frank, but we would miss Dj just as much as missing doom.....

Ravage!!!
11-13-2010, 04:29 PM
I miss Marshall.

dogfish
11-13-2010, 04:42 PM
I miss Marshall.

really?

:noidea:

hell with that guy, i miss hillis!

:werd:

Elevation inc
11-13-2010, 04:51 PM
really?

exactly i dont miss marshall that much.....our Wr core is just fine and more well rounded without him, plus lloyd is balling out of this world far more than masrhall did in denver

but i sure as hell do miss hillis as well......i think MCD needs to look hard at moss and realize jsut becasue some give it there all in practcie doesnt mean they are good on game days and llok at guys liek hillis and realize just becasue they arent great in practice doesnt mean they wont dominate games....

there are only a few decisions personnel wise tha really irk me and thats the Jarvis Green bust, Smith situation and trading hillis for peanuts.....

Ravage!!!
11-13-2010, 05:10 PM
really?

HELL YEAH I do. YOu honestly think our offense is as good without him? You honestly don't think our team could actually get a friggin FIRST DOWN with a guy like Marshall?? You think our 12 TD passes are something to be proud of considering how many Passes we've thrown? You don't think Lloyd would be a BIGGER deep threat if we had a guy like Marshall swallowing up double coverages? How about the running game not having so many in the box if you have someone like Marshall taking up some of the defense attention.

Our passing attack really isn't that deadly. So yeah.. I ABSOLUTELY miss seeing a STUD on the field at WR. :salute:

Elevation inc
11-13-2010, 05:14 PM
HELL YEAH I do. YOu honestly think our offense is as good without him? You honestly don't think our team could actually get a friggin FIRST DOWN with a guy like Marshall?? You think our 12 TD passes are something to be proud of considering how many Passes we've thrown? You don't think Lloyd would be a BIGGER deep threat if we had a guy like Marshall swallowing up double coverages? How about the running game not having so many in the box if you have someone like Marshall taking up some of the defense attention.

Our passing attack really isn't that deadly. So yeah.. I ABSOLUTELY miss seeing a STUD on the field at WR. :salute:

i think we could have marshall, fitz and andre johnson rav..i still dont think it would matter with no run game, a poor playing OL and orton.....and lloyd gets double covered every game now and still breaks out 150 and a TD....sorry man.....dont agree here.

but i do agree that lloyd could be a bigger threat with marshall on the other side.....:beer:

but i dont think it would work...marshall is already showing some discontent with targets going to bess and hartline in miami over him....

Elevation inc
11-13-2010, 05:16 PM

lloyd is a stud though rav no Wr in the league is doing what he is right now.....he isnt the problem and is top 2 WR right now....and you and i both have some similar ideas to the root cause overall. wont go into them here though but i think you know who I'm talking about...i spent the last week reviewing some things and lets just say i doubt orton makes the pro bowl this year if he is looked closer at, and im ready for tebow....i saw some very concerning things ortons yd stats are covering up....

Dzone
11-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Peter King, in last weeks sports illustrated, has Brandon Loyd as Mid season All Pro

GEM
11-13-2010, 05:29 PM

I think he said he was out getting drunk 3 nights before a big game....not that it was a routine of the 3 nights a week getting drunk...could be wrong thought, that's how I read it.

Ravage!!!
11-13-2010, 05:32 PM
lloyd is a stud though rav no Wr in the league is doing what he is right now.....he isnt the problem and is top 2 WR right now....and you and i both have some similar ideas to the root cause overall. wont go into them here though but i think you know who I'm talking about...i spent the last week reviewing some things and lets just say i doubt orton makes the pro bowl this year if he is looked closer at, and im ready for tebow....i saw some very concerning things ortons yd stats are covering up....

UGHHhhhh...

I just said that I believe Lloyd would be even a BIGGER THREAT if he had a Marshall on the other side. That is NOT putting Lloyd down, that is not taking away from how he's playing this year, its not taking away from what he's accomplished, and ABSOLUTELY is not suggesting that Lloyd is the problem to this team.

BUT.... our team does NOT convert on third downs. If .. IF... we had a Marshall, HE could undoubtedly provide some possession catches and do things against defenders that Lloyd can not do. He DEMANDS double coverage, which would make Lloyd even that much MORE of a weapon, not to mention give him MORE chances to make big plays downfield because he would have the single coverage... and we know that QBs attack the single coverage.

In the redzone, Marshall again can out muscle and out jump nearly every defender on the field. Thus, that demands additional coverage. That could/would open the outside for other players... make passing lanes, or even create space for a runner to get into the endzone.

Marshall provides EVERy QB that "guy" to go to when you absolutely NEED a first down catch. We don't have that guy at all on the team right now. Third down conversions lengthen drives...and move the chains down the field (ok,that was obvious).

I don't care what the passing yardage totals say. I don't care about how well Lloyd appears to be playing. This offense is weak.... WEAK. Try to say that its "not the passing game", but that passing game isn't scoring either. That passing game isn't moving the chains. That passing game isn't keeping teams from loading up to rush the passer and cover 1n1 against the WRs we have.

THats all I'm saying.

turftoad
11-13-2010, 05:38 PM
UGHHhhhh...

I just said that I believe Lloyd would be even a BIGGER THREAT if he had a Marshall on the other side. That is NOT putting Lloyd down, that is not taking away from how he's playing this year, its not taking away from what he's accomplished, and ABSOLUTELY is not suggesting that Lloyd is the problem to this team.

BUT.... our team does NOT convert on third downs. If .. IF... we had a Marshall, HE could undoubtedly provide some possession catches and do things against defenders that Lloyd can not do. He DEMANDS double coverage, which would make Lloyd even that much MORE of a weapon, not to mention give him MORE chances to make big plays downfield because he would have the single coverage... and we know that QBs attack the single coverage.

In the redzone, Marshall again can out muscle and out jump nearly every defender on the field. Thus, that demands additional coverage. That could/would open the outside for other players... make passing lanes, or even create space for a runner to get into the endzone.

Marshall provides EVERy QB that "guy" to go to when you absolutely NEED a first down catch. We don't have that guy at all on the team right now. Third down conversions lengthen drives...and move the chains down the field (ok,that was obvious).

I don't care what the passing yardage totals say. I don't care about how well Lloyd appears to be playing. This offense is weak.... WEAK. Try to say that its "not the passing game", but that passing game isn't scoring either. That passing game isn't moving the chains. That passing game isn't keeping teams from loading up to rush the passer and cover 1n1 against the WRs we have.

THats all I'm saying.

Stuff like this game winner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPINVd9zBko

Denver Native (Carol)
11-13-2010, 05:43 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

Watchthemiddle
11-13-2010, 06:04 PM

Because his 1 touchdown this year for MIAMI has been monumental to their .500 record??

Marshall can't block on the OLine or play defense so his contribution would do nothing for this team.

Tned
11-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Because his 1 touchdown this year for MIAMI has been monumental to their .500 record??

Marshall can't block on the OLine or play defense so his contribution would do nothing for this team.

Yea, could you imagine how bad our running game would be if we still had Marshall who can't block? Damn, we might be so bad, we might be the worst running team in the league.

Oh, wait....

spikerman
11-13-2010, 06:19 PM

I'll bet Marshall is embarrassed to be playing for a .500 team.

Tned
11-13-2010, 06:38 PM
I'll bet Marshall is embarrassed to be playing for a .500 team.

Man, remember when the Broncos were .500. Ohhh, gotta love the good 'ole days....

BroncoWave
11-13-2010, 06:46 PM
What an asinine thread. This is nothing like the Marshall situation at all. Marshall's legal troubles were the cherry on top to his pouting in camp and just flat out quitting on the team. Not a single person said we should get rid of him for the sole reason of his legal troubles.

Come on Tned, you are better than this.

Joel
11-13-2010, 06:51 PM

He WAS a captain; according to NFL.com he is one no longer. And, yes, dumping one of our best and most versatile players despite him being nothing but loyal to the organization throughout his career would be part and parcel with this front office. It's not McDaniels' team until he's handpicked every player on it, right?

What's most worrisome is that this whole recurring theme of seemingly every player on the team being a screw up when they aren't a hot dog is eerily familiar to anyone who's been watching the Cowboys closely since Jerry Jones started recruiting prima donnas who could do no wrong in his eyes. My grandmother used to say that if you meet one jerk he's just a jerk, if you meet two maybe you're having a bad day, but if EVERYONE you meet is a jerk it's time to ask yourself if THEY'RE really the problem. Letting people do as they please is a discipline problem, but so is believing there IS an "i" in "team" when you're blaming everyone but yourself for the teams failures. No one respects a "leader" who hangs them out to dry for following bad orders, and the sad and simple fact is whether they listen to him or not they're equally screwed, if for different reasons.

I realize I draw the Denver/Dallas comparison a lot, and that what seems like correlation is sometimes just coincidence. On the other hand, if we'd gone after the legit NT I've wanted since '05 to stuff the run up the gut and begin a transition to a 3-4 I don't think I'm the only one who'd be a lot happier. I want to give McDaniels a chance (a real NT and a 3-4 are two things he got VERY right), believe it's the best thing for the team in addition to being the "right" thing. It's just hard to have much faith in or loyalty to him when he's thrown so many Broncos under the bus before throwing them off a team that continues to deteriorate. It also makes the departure of our beloved DJ seem both likely and imminent. After all, Shanny drafted him.

Tned
11-13-2010, 06:52 PM
What an asinine thread. This is nothing like the Marshall situation at all. Marshall's legal troubles were the cherry on top to his pouting in camp and just flat out quitting on the team. Not a single person said we should get rid of him for the sole reason of his legal troubles.

Come on Tned, you are better than this.

Better than calling something I disagree with asinine; better than getting a DUI; or, better than throwing out something for discussion? :confused:

TimTebow15MVP
11-13-2010, 06:55 PM
greg jones was already in my mock. trade dj for a 4th

Joel
11-13-2010, 07:01 PM

I've seen Marshall throw some pretty nice blocks on runs; supposedly Rod Smith (who excelled at it) gave him tutorials on that and other things.

Incidentaly, NFL.coms story on DJs DUI confirms Timmy!s speculation: DJ is our leading tackler, so, yes, we would miss him badly.

BroncoWave
11-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Better than calling something a disagree with asinine; better than getting a DUI; or, better than throwing out something for discussion? :confused:

Where did I call you asinine? I called your thread asinine, because it is. You know very well the situations aren't even a little comparable. And any semblance of this being an actual thread for serious discussion went away with your condescending crap in posts #9 and #14. You know damn well not a single person on this board, or McDaniels, wants to get rid of every single talented player on the team with any sort of character issue. I think his signings of LenDale white and Perrish Cox dispel that myth. The only point I see in this thread is to mock those who wanted to get rid of Marshall and to try to use this cute little "gotcha" game to try to get them to agree that we should also get rid of DJ. I see can see right through it. Nice try though.

I Eat Staples
11-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Where did I call you asinine? I called your thread asinine, because it is. You know very well the situations aren't even a little comparable. And any semblance of this being an actual thread for serious discussion went away with your condescending crap in posts #9 and #14. You know damn well not a single person on this board, or McDaniels, wants to get rid of every single talented player on the team with any sort of character issue. I think his signings of LenDale white and Perrish Cox dispel that myth. The only point I see in this thread is to mock those who wanted to get rid of Marshall and to try to use this cute little "gotcha" game to try to get them to agree that we should also get rid of DJ. I see can see right through it. Nice try though.

Read through some comments. I just saw one person say we should trade DJ for a 4th...

Tned
11-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Where did I call you asinine?

Where did I say you called me asinine? :confused:

Here's some free advice: how about just sharing your opinion on the subject and not worrying about whether a thread or post is 'worthy' of being posted. No need to thank me for the advice, it's my gift to you.... ;)

BroncoWave
11-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Where did I say you called me asinine? :confused:

Here's some free advice: how about just sharing your opinion on the subject and not worrying about whether a thread or post is 'worthy' of being posted. No need to thank me for the advice, it's my gift to you.... ;)

My opinion on the topic is that this thread sucks. Thanks for your advice though. :salute:

Tned
11-13-2010, 07:46 PM
My opinion on the topic is that this thread sucks. Thanks for your advice though. :salute:

Sorry that some mysterious person held a gun to your head and made you participate in it. :laugh:

;)

T.K.O.
11-13-2010, 09:10 PM
you know the season is'nt going well when threads like this get so much attention....:laugh:
this should have been up for about an hour !
oh .... i guess i'm not helping it die the quick death it deserves:confused:
my bad

Magnificent Seven
11-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Move Tebow to LB position! :D

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
11-13-2010, 09:41 PM
If we traded him I would be furious and probably call for the head of whoever made the decision.... He's one of the few bright spots

Elevation inc
11-14-2010, 03:54 AM
UGHHhhhh...

THats all I'm saying.

:lol::lol:

read this full post below rav and pay close attention to the area with the beer smiley...hahaha

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1118329&postcount=40

cuzz4169
11-14-2010, 04:48 AM
I 100% believe you can trade him because I think Woodyard can be a stud at the 3-4 will position...Williams is the most overrated player on the broncos defense!!!!

SoCalImport
11-14-2010, 06:47 AM
This seasons Broncos have driven me to drink a number of times already.

SoCalImport
11-14-2010, 06:52 AM
is DJ overrated? All you hear folks say is that he's talented and that could mean anything really. He's our fastest LB but as pointed out in this thread, Woodyard is very fast as well.

I have to admit that reading through the less sarcastic posts has me thinking more seriously about whether or not the Broncos would suffer much if DJ moved on.

I think I personally am attached to him as a Bronco because he's a first round pick that actually stuck around and produced.

broncofaninfla
11-14-2010, 09:22 AM
I didn't read the entire thread so forgive me if somebody already touched on this. The trade deadline for this season has passed and DJ will likely serve his suspension this season.

Kinda speaks volumes that a team captain would be out so late, drunk and driving on a work night. Makes me wonder how many other players have cashed it in on Mcd/Xanders/Ellis and this season.

Tned
11-14-2010, 10:04 AM
I didn't read the entire thread so forgive me if somebody already touched on this. The trade deadline for this season has passed and DJ will likely serve his suspension this season.

Kinda speaks volumes that a team captain would be out so late, drunk and driving on a work night. Makes me wonder how many other players have cashed it in on Mcd/Xanders/Ellis and this season.

FWIW, Lindsay Jones of the Denver Post said the most likely scenario (due to hearings, appeals, etc.) is that his suspension is not enforced this season.

Now, if DJ, at the Broncos request, doesn't go through the appeal process, then it is much more likely he could serve the suspension this year.

Beyond that, the original premise of the thread was not whether he should be traded before he serves his suspension, so that the Broncos don't have to deal with missing him for 3 games (the most likely for this DUI), but instead focusing on the fact that his next 'mistake' will likely cost him 8-16 games.

Nomad
11-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Move Tebow to LB position! :D

Let's try it or safety!! Ya never know!!

Northman
11-14-2010, 11:29 AM
I wouldnt mind trading him but he isnt going to bring a lot of value to the table anyway. He just isnt a game breaker and more of a fill in guy.

UrbanBounca
11-14-2010, 12:07 PM
IMO, the damage has already been done. Williams' trade value has dropped, and our season is already over. We might as well hold onto him.

However, for the sake of our young team, he should be dropped from Captain status.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-14-2010, 12:25 PM
IMO, the damage has already been done. Williams' trade value has dropped, and our season is already over. We might as well hold onto him.

However, for the sake of our young team, he should be dropped from Captain status.

He was.

atwater27
11-14-2010, 12:56 PM
No DJ should not be traded. The value wouldn't be there. He will take his lumps and play well for us afterwards... the defense is too deficient of talent to ship off one of it's 3 or 4 decent players.

Jake Klug
11-14-2010, 01:12 PM
FWIW, Lindsay Jones of the Denver Post said the most likely scenario (due to hearings, appeals, etc.) is that his suspension is not enforced this season.

Now, if DJ, at the Broncos request, doesn't go through the appeal process, then it is much more likely he could serve the suspension this year.

Beyond that, the original premise of the thread was not whether he should be traded before he serves his suspension, so that the Broncos don't have to deal with missing him for 3 games (the most likely for this DUI), but instead focusing on the fact that his next 'mistake' will likely cost him 8-16 games.

If they trade him, it will likely be pennies on the dollar. But Id like to know how the money will be accelerated as well whether it will be this year or next year. Is that just when a player is released?

What they should do though is simply phase him out. Get someone who can play his position in the draft and keep him for depth or trade him if a decent deal comes along. But because of what you said, they need to remove themselves from a position where theyre relying on him.

Tned
11-14-2010, 01:20 PM
If they trade him, it will likely be pennies on the dollar. But Id like to know how the money will be accelerated as well whether it will be this year or next year. Is that just when a player is released?

What they should do though is simply phase him out. Get someone who can play his position in the draft and keep him for depth or trade him if a decent deal comes along. But because of what you said, they need to remove themselves from a position where theyre relying on him.

Not sure what his signing bonus was or how many years left, but this is how it works. Let's say he signed a 5 year contract with a $20 million signing bonus. Then, for salary cap purposes, that signing bonus counts $4 million a year against the cap (20 divided by 5 years).

Let's then say he is traded with three years remaining on his contract. The remaining portion of his pro-rated signing bonus (3 x $4 million = $12 million) would count that year. If he was traded in the offseason, then that would count against the cap in the upcoming season.

Jake Klug
11-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Not sure what his signing bonus was or how many years left, but this is how it works. Let's say he signed a 5 year contract with a $20 million signing bonus. Then, for salary cap purposes, that signing bonus counts $4 million a year against the cap (20 divided by 5 years).

OK, I knew that much ^^^

Let's then say he is traded with three years remaining on his contract. The remaining portion of his pro-rated signing bonus (3 x $4 million = $12 million) would count that year. If he was traded in the offseason, then that would count against the cap in the upcoming season.

I wasnt sure if it worked for him being traded too. But if they were to trade him, it would be accelerated against next years cap, no?...since the trade deadline has passed?

TXBRONC
11-14-2010, 01:33 PM

Exactly who knows? We dont if Williams has a drinking problem and just because he didn't deny doesn't make it admission that has a drinking problem.

Krugan
11-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Well, arent all players just a bad choice away froma suspension?

Maybe not long term, but in all, everyone is close to a suspension.

Guess they better just shut down the shop and call it a day. If the job market where better, im betting the 85% that arent good enough to play anywhere else would be able to make a sandwich...

TXBRONC
11-14-2010, 01:41 PM
I 100% believe you can trade him because I think Woodyard can be a stud at the 3-4 will position...Williams is the most overrated player on the broncos defense!!!!

I disagree. Woodyard isn't anywhere near big enough to be a starter in 3-4 defense.

Tned
11-14-2010, 01:54 PM
OK, I knew that much ^^^

I wasnt sure if it worked for him being traded too. But if they were to trade him, it would be accelerated against next years cap, no?...since the trade deadline has passed?

Trades and release have the same cap consequences. The only difference I know of is that with a release you can designate them a "June 1st" player and that lets you spread the cap hit over two years. I don't believe you can do that with a trade.

Since the trade deadline is over, he can't be traded this year, so therefore if he was traded in the offseason the cap hit would count against next season.

The only exception I can think of is that if he was traded after June 1st of next year (assuming the new CBA has similar rules to the last), then the Broncos could count one third of the cap hit in 2011 and 2/3 in 2012.

Jake Klug
11-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Trades and release have the same cap consequences. The only difference I know of is that with a release you can designate them a "June 1st" player and that lets you spread the cap hit over two years. I don't believe you can do that with a trade.

Since the trade deadline is over, he can't be traded this year, so therefore if he was traded in the offseason the cap hit would count against next season.

The only exception I can think of is that if he was traded after June 1st of next year (assuming the new CBA has similar rules to the last), then the Broncos could count one third of the cap hit in 2011 and 2/3 in 2012.

Well, ok. Thanks for explaining that.

But to your original question, Ill go back to what I said, theyre better off just drafting someone who can play that position and become less reliant on him. If you trade him and the escalation is substantial, its really like youre trading 2 players to get one.

Also, with so much up in the air, its not really fair to saddle what might be a new regime with that next year.

UrbanBounca
11-14-2010, 03:02 PM
He was.

Good. He apparently can't handle it.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

LordTrychon
11-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Exactly who knows? We dont if Williams has a drinking problem and just because he didn't deny doesn't make it admission that has a drinking problem.

The only reference I saw anywhere to the DJ tweet was on this board.

Granted, I only looked for a few minutes... but I wonder. Was there ever a link posted that I missed?

Tned
11-14-2010, 04:20 PM

Granted, I only looked for a few minutes... but I wonder. Was there ever a link posted that I missed?

I know there is some tweet archiving sites out there, but I'm not sure what the URL's are for them.

jhildebrand
11-14-2010, 07:38 PM

I thought the tweet might be bull.

I looked it up after it was referenced here and it was on a twitter account that looked like it belonged to DJ.

Tned
11-14-2010, 07:55 PM

I looked it up after it was referenced here and it was on a twitter account that looked like it belonged to DJ.

http://twitter.com/DjWilliam55

It's not a "verified" Twitter account, but other players and beat writers have referred to that account as DJ's in the past.

This was a Tweet from the other day that people must be talking about

Sad, but honest truth, I'll never be able to give it up
10:40 PM Nov 11th via Twitter for iPhone

LordTrychon
11-14-2010, 07:59 PM

Ok, if you were able to find it too, I'll believe it. Still not 100% sure on it... but at least I know it's not bull.

I'm not sure how to navigate Twitter.... and if you did a search for DJ williams on twitter, you found a $#!+ton of posts about him (tweets).

Thanks.

jhildebrand
11-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Ok, if you were able to find it too, I'll believe it. Still not 100% sure on it... but at least I know it's not bull.

I'm not sure how to navigate Twitter.... and if you did a search for DJ williams on twitter, you found a $#!+ton of posts about him (tweets).

Thanks.

http://twitter.com/DjWilliam55

It's still up (5th post down). I am not sure if it is truly DJ. It seems like it is but anybody can pretend to be somebody on Twitter.

NightTrainLayne
11-14-2010, 08:50 PM
If I remember right this same account which I have followed for some time believing it was DJ posted some pics from London. . .. that would be a long way to go to falsify a Twitter account.

Tned
11-14-2010, 08:53 PM
If I remember right this same account which I have followed for some time believing it was DJ posted some pics from London. . .. that would be a long way to go to falsify a Twitter account.

Correct. I'm as close to 100% sure that it's DJ as I can be.

Tned
11-14-2010, 09:25 PM
DJ just tweeted this:

RT @DjWilliam55: I just wanna say thank u to all the broncos fans that have had my back during this time, even though the true facts aren't out I should of never put myself in that situation..thank u again