PDA

View Full Version : Broncos might sit Williams for quarter in wake of DUI arrest

Denver Native (Carol)
11-13-2010, 02:06 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16604822?source=rss

The Broncos are expected to announce early this afternoon a decision on punishment for star linebacker D.J. Williams, who was arrested early Friday morning on suspicion of drunk driving.

The team on Friday was leaning toward benching Williams for the first quarter of Sunday's game against the Kansas City Chiefs. That move would follow the precedent set earlier this season by the New York Jets, who briefly benched receiver Braylon Edwards after a DUI, and the Titans, who did not allow receiver Kenny Britt to start after he was involved in a bar fight.

But the team and coach Josh McDaniels needed more time to deliberate today before making a final decision. Williams also faces a multi-game suspension from the NFL as a two-time offender of the substance abuse policy. Friday's arrest was his second for DUI. The first was during the 2005 season.

Williams also faces a mandatory 10-day jail sentence and a minimum of two years probation if he is convicted. His first court date is schedule for Dec. 13.

But Sunday's benching — for the first quarter at least — would come directly from McDaniels, likely as punishment for Williams' poor judgment and behavior the coach described several times as "disappointing." Williams was arrested just before 3 a.m. Friday, a little more than two days before a must-win game against the division-leading Chiefs.

Williams missed Friday's practice — he arrived at Dove Valley shortly after his teammates started practice, still wearing the same clothes from the night before — and spent about 15 minutes at the facility later.

Williams, the second-longest tenured Bronco, is a defensive captain, and leads the team in both tackles and sacks. With Williams on the bench, either Wesley Woodyard or Joe Mays is expected to start at inside linebacker. Mario Haggan, who has played both inside and outside this season, could move back inside as well.

Ravage!!!
11-13-2010, 02:07 PM
This is interesting. Is it common in the NFL to follow the punishments of other teams, purely because they did it first?

I Eat Staples
11-13-2010, 02:09 PM
This opinion is probably unpopular, but I would never bench or suspend my own players. The NFL does enough overreacted on their own, and benching a good player doesn't accomplish anything other than harming your chances to win.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-13-2010, 02:12 PM
This opinion is probably unpopular, but I would never bench or suspend my own players. The NFL does enough overreacted on their own, and benching a good player doesn't accomplish anything other than harming your chances to win.

And if you don't bench a player who has got in trouble, are you telling the rest of the players that it is OK to get in trouble - i.e. - we (Broncos) won't do anything to you.

turftoad
11-13-2010, 02:12 PM
McDaniels will probably call Belichick and ask him what he should do. :shocked:

Cugel
11-13-2010, 02:17 PM
And if you don't bench a player who has got in trouble, are you telling the rest of the players that it is OK to get in trouble - i.e. - we (Broncos) won't do anything to you.
Don't worry about it. The commissioner will probably bench Williams for at least 4 games and possibly an entire season for a second offense. Then you can watch the defense suck even WORSE (if that's even possible).

For the Broncos to bench him for a quarter is just pointless stupidity. Makes about as much sense as McDaniels benching Brandon Marshall and Tony Sheffler last season.

That worked out great too! :coffee:

Virtually EVERYTHING I see out of McDaniels just proves over and over again that the man is completely clueless.

UnderArmour
11-13-2010, 02:24 PM
I personally feel that DJ Williams, if he needs to be punished, he should be forced to sit and watch the Broncos Raiders game from earlier this season... Or if that's too cruel make him sit out the first down of the game.

Italianmobstr7
11-13-2010, 02:24 PM
The Denver Broncos on Saturday released the following statement regarding linebacker D.J. Williams:

"The Denver Broncos are extremely disappointed in D.J. Williams' careless and irresponsible actions on Friday morning. This type of behavior is taken very seriously by the organization.

"The Broncos have levied the heaviest fines possible to him for conduct detrimental to the club under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement due to the disruption and resulting impact on the team. He will not start in Sunday’s game against the Chiefs and has been stripped of his captaincy for the season.

"Any further possible discipline stemming from this incident will be determined by the league's policies and the legal system."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Statement-from-the-Broncos-on-DJ-Williams/c319b360-b96c-47ad-9ecc-6c72c8724374

Denver Native (Carol)
11-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Don't worry about it. The commissioner will probably bench Williams for at least 4 games and possibly an entire season for a second offense. Then you can watch the defense suck even WORSE (if that's even possible).

For the Broncos to bench him for a quarter is just pointless stupidity. Makes about as much sense as McDaniels benching Brandon Marshall and Tony Sheffler last season.

Virtually EVERYTHING I see out of McDaniels just proves over and over again that the man is completely clueless.

For some of you, Coach McDaniels will be WRONG, whatever he does

KCL
11-13-2010, 02:25 PM
I would think that if he wanted to send a message to the rest of the team that this type of behavior won't be tolerated he would sit him out for the entire game...what kind of message does sitting him out for one quarter send? That's the type of thing coaches do if a player is late for a meeting or a practice which in this case he was.

He missed the entire practice..I went back and read that part again.

KCL
11-13-2010, 02:27 PM
mcdaniels will probably call belichick and ask him what he should do. :shocked:

wwbd?

Denver Native (Carol)
11-13-2010, 02:30 PM
I would think that if he wanted to send a message to the rest of the team that this type of behavior won't be tolerated he would sit him out for the entire game...what kind of message does sitting him out for one quarter send? That's the type of thing coaches do if a player is late for a meeting or a practice which in this case he was. He missed the entire practice..I went back and read that part again.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Statement-from-the-Broncos-on-DJ-Williams/c319b360-b96c-47ad-9ecc-6c72c8724374

"The Broncos have levied the heaviest fines possible to him for conduct detrimental to the club under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement due to the disruption and resulting impact on the team. He will not start in Sunday’s game against the Chiefs and has been stripped of his captaincy for the season.

Cugel
11-13-2010, 02:38 PM
I personally feel that DJ Williams, if he needs to be punished, he should be forced to sit and watch the Broncos Raiders game from earlier this season...

That's prohibited by the 8th Amendment which states that "cruel and unusual punishments shall not be inflicted."

Cugel
11-13-2010, 02:40 PM

Actually, you have that backwards. McDaniels PROVES himself to be wrong, in everything he does, hence we call him out for it!

The results speak for themselves. Right now the team is on pace for their worst season since 1967. Doesn't get much worse than that (unless you're the Lions).:coffee:

frauschieze
11-13-2010, 02:44 PM
The Denver Broncos on Saturday released the following statement regarding linebacker D.J. Williams:

"The Denver Broncos are extremely disappointed in D.J. Williams' careless and irresponsible actions on Friday morning. This type of behavior is taken very seriously by the organization.

"Any further possible discipline stemming from this incident will be determined by the league's policies and the legal system."

I think this is appropriate. I would have done the same re: fines and captaincy.

The problem I see is how much does it hurt our team to NOT have DJ on the field? Significantly, unfortunately. Just as sitting Marshall and Scheffler were not best for the team last year, neither is sitting DJ. Don't let him start, but make him play. Give him the opportunity to begin to make it up to his teammates for his behavior. The NFL is likely going to suspend him guilty or innocent, and if he's guilty, he'll miss a game for his jail sentence. That's going to hurt our team plenty, and hurt the camaraderie of the team even more. We don't need to do additional things which will make it worse.

I'd argue the same thing starter or not. This team is NOT in a position to be hardasses about anything. We don't play as a team, we don't play as a unit. If we were top performers then maybe I'd feel differently. But right now, more than ever, I think McD needs to focus on his TEAM mentality and making decisions that will help foster that relationship, rather than tear it down more.

KCL
11-13-2010, 02:54 PM
I would think he would get suspended for 2 games since this is his second offense..When Allen played for the Chiefs..he went through the same thing...2 offenses...received a 2 game suspension.

T.K.O.
11-13-2010, 02:55 PM
i think the maximum fine and stripping the "captain,s tag" sent enough of a messege to the other players.afterall these guys are not children.they have seen enough of what happens to players when they bend/break the rules.
the only messege mcD needs to send the team now is that he is going to give the team their best chance to win a mother ******* game ! by putting D.J. out there and making him earn back the respect of his team mates !:salute:

Cugel
11-13-2010, 03:02 PM
I would think he would get suspended for 2 games since this is his second offense..When Allen played for the Chiefs..he went through the same thing...2 offenses...received a 2 game suspension.

The league is cracking down harder and harder on players who get arrested off the field -- especially for the 2nd or 3rd time.

With DUIs they have a point. Probably anybody could get busted for DUI if they had a few beers and drove. But, what kind of idiot would do it TWICE?

Someone with a drinking problem, that's who.

I was defending a speeding action when the case in front of me was a guy arrested for drunken BICYCLING. And do you know, the idiot complained to the judge "they took my license so now I don't drive! How am I supposed to get to the bar?"

I kid you not. Guy actually said that! The judge was NOT amused. All I could think was "why must this IDIOT be right in me? Now the judge is all mad!" :beer: :beer:

broncobryce
11-13-2010, 03:10 PM
I goes the beloved rex ryan is an idiot too cuz he benched braylon edwards. And jeff fisher, what an idiot.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Ravage!!!
11-13-2010, 03:15 PM

I believe that Allen got a 4 game suspension and knocked it down to two by agreeing to attend some alcohol counseling (something like that).

I expect the same situation here.

KCL
11-13-2010, 03:17 PM
The league is cracking down harder and harder on players who get arrested off the field -- especially for the 2nd or 3rd time.

With DUIs they have a point. Probably anybody could get busted for DUI if they had a few beers and drove. But, what kind of idiot would do it TWICE?

Someone with a drinking problem, that's who.

I was defending a speeding action when the case in front of me was a guy arrested for drunken BICYCLING. And do you know, the idiot complained to the judge "they took my license so now I don't drive! How am I supposed to get to the bar?"

I kid you not. Guy actually said that! The judge was NOT amused. All I could think was "why must this IDIOT be right in me? Now the judge is all mad!" :beer: :beer:

Allen was suspended at the beginning of the 2007 season..maybe they have started to come down harder since then...I have no idea...I was using him as an example because the cases are similar.

lol at the drunk guy on the bike.

Nomad
11-13-2010, 03:20 PM
I believe that Allen got a 4 game suspension and knocked it down to two by agreeing to attend some alcohol counseling (something like that).

And as turftoad said in the other thread, "it's only a rumor" which Williams hasn't denied, but if the rumor is true that he doesn't want to seek help then I expect Goodell and the BRONCOS to have no mercy on the guy!

KCL
11-13-2010, 03:21 PM

You're correct...but he was only suspended for 2.

Ravage!!!
11-13-2010, 03:23 PM
You're correct...but he was only suspended for 2.

well. .if you want to get technical.. he was suspended for four, and served 2 :D

Ravage!!!
11-13-2010, 03:26 PM
And as turftoad said in the other thread, "it's only a rumor" which Williams hasn't denied, but if the rumor is true that he doesn't want to seek help then I expect Goodell and the BRONCOS to have no mercy on the guy!

Has he been asked about it, on order to deny anything?

I think a lot have jumped on that unsubstantiated rumor/tweet and have now turned the guy into a life-long alcoholic.

I don't think Goodell or the Broncos give him a bigger sentence for admitting a problem (if there is a problem).

Nomad
11-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Has he been asked about it, on order to deny anything?

I think a lot have jumped on that unsubstantiated rumor/tweet and have now turned the guy into a life-long alcoholic.

I don't think Goodell or the Broncos give him a bigger sentence for admitting a problem (if there is a problem).

I'm sure reporters have asked the question to him as he leaves Dove Valley! I know if it were me, I'd shut down those rumors down then again I wouldn't be in this situation especially if I were a captain!

A DUI in today's day and age is not a mistake, but idiotic!!! 2 DUI's means you have a problem!!

frauschieze
11-13-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm sure reporters have asked the question to him as he leaves Dove Valley! I know if it were me, I'd shut down those rumors down then again I wouldn't be in this situation especially if I were a captain!

A DUI in today's day and age is not a mistake, but idiotic!!! 2 DUI's means you have a problem!!

Indeed. A rather large problem with judgment.

But it doesn't not automatically mean one is an alcoholic, however likely.

Nomad
11-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Indeed. A rather large problem with judgment.

But it doesn't not automatically mean one is an alcoholic, however likely.

You're right!! I would put the percentages as an alki high though!! I'm not condemning Williams and hope he cleans up, but the person has got to want to get cleaned up!

KCL
11-13-2010, 03:45 PM
well. .if you want to get technical.. he was suspended for four, and served 2 :D

:mad:

Dzone
11-13-2010, 04:00 PM

LMAO!!:lol:

Dzone
11-13-2010, 04:04 PM
He can certainly redeem himself if he goes out and proves himself with some good tackling on sunday...12 tackles and a couple sacks will make everybody love him...lol

dogfish
11-13-2010, 04:08 PM
I think this is appropriate. I would have done the same re: fines and captaincy.

The problem I see is how much does it hurt our team to NOT have DJ on the field? Significantly, unfortunately. Just as sitting Marshall and Scheffler were not best for the team last year, neither is sitting DJ. Don't let him start, but make him play. Give him the opportunity to begin to make it up to his teammates for his behavior. The NFL is likely going to suspend him guilty or innocent, and if he's guilty, he'll miss a game for his jail sentence. That's going to hurt our team plenty, and hurt the camaraderie of the team even more. We don't need to do additional things which will make it worse.

I'd argue the same thing starter or not. This team is NOT in a position to be hardasses about anything. We don't play as a team, we don't play as a unit. If we were top performers then maybe I'd feel differently. But right now, more than ever, I think McD needs to focus on his TEAM mentality and making decisions that will help foster that relationship, rather than tear it down more.

abso****inglutely!

these token punishments from the teams are ridiculous and stupid-- nothing more than a wink to appease public sentiment. . . most of which came from that assclown mike florio before the jets game. . . come on, sitting a guy a quarter is supposed to send him some kind of message? my ass! it hurts his teammates more than it does him. . .

beyond which, it's just obnoxious that anyone should be forced to go through triple indemnity for one crime. . . it's like office space and his eight bosses, FFS. . . let the legal system run its course and let the league suspend him-- that should be sufficient. . . fining him and stripping his captaincy is both appropriate and more than sufficient, IMO. . . doling out a token public punishment as well is unecessary, and serves no point beyond piling on some additional embarrasment, which IMO isn't how you treat grown men. . .

Elevation inc
11-13-2010, 04:16 PM
i cant and dont understand why people are upset this guy isnt starting for a quarter after getting a DUI...perhaps some of you dont realize just how serious a DUI is let alone 2 and that someone could have died......im pretty sure DJ isnt feeling sorry for himself the way most of you are becasue he has to sit a quarter.

yes it will hurt our team, but what really hurt our team is not MCD benching him for a quarter, but for him to pull a boneheaded move like this coming off a bye, as a captain of the team when we have played like crap.....this is DJ and DJ alone he deserves what he got just like marshall did. I love DJ, but he made his own bed.....i have no problem with him getting hemmed up for a second DUI like he is at all....

he putting drinking irresponsibly before the team, so now we should put him before the team and let him start becasue he is a key guy and should get a pass...doesn't work like that......

Ravage!!!
11-13-2010, 04:18 PM
You're right!! I would put the percentages as an alki high though!! I'm not condemning Williams and hope he cleans up, but the person has got to want to get cleaned up!

I don't know if thats true. I think its a tendency to label people in today's society. Everyone has a condition, everyone has a 'syndrome'...everyone has a problem. Your leg twitches, you ahve "restless leg syndrome."

I also don't think any player in teh NFL changes their lifestyle, social or otherwise, because they go to center field and call the flip.

I'm not saying anything other than I think people LOVE to jump on someone when they are down. Its easy, its convenient, and it allows everyone to sit in their taller chair to look down and judge. All of a sudden, no one has done anything wrong, no one has gotten into a car after having a couple beers (I don't drink so I can honestly say I never have), and everyone has rocks in their hands as they look out from their glass houses.

Nomad, I'm not calling you out. I"m responding to your post, but talking in generalities...I hope you understand/realize that.

Dzone
11-13-2010, 04:21 PM
This DUI is going to be more egregious if we lose tomorrow. Thats just the way it rolls

I Eat Staples
11-13-2010, 04:23 PM

I understand your point, I would just hope that most players are smart enough to stay out of trouble for their own sake, not to mention the discipline they look to face from the NFL.

Ravage!!!
11-13-2010, 04:26 PM
i cant and dont understand why people are upset this guy isnt starting for a quarter after getting a DUI...perhaps some of you dont realize just how serious a DUI is let alone 2 and that someone could have died......im pretty sure DJ isnt feeling sorry for himself the way most of you are becasue he has to sit a quarter.

yes it will hurt our team, but what really hurt our team is not MCD benching him for a quarter, but for him to pull a boneheaded move like this coming off a bye, as a captain of the team when we have played like crap.....this is DJ and DJ alone he deserves what he got just like marshall did. I love DJ, but he made his own bed.....i have no problem with him getting hemmed up for a second DUI like he is at all....

he putting drinking irresponsibly before the team, so now we should put him before the team and let him start becasue he is a key guy and should get a pass...doesn't work like that......

Yes.. absolutely.. and No... not so much at the same time.

I think the "stripping" of his captain title and taking money is an individual punishment....taking the best defender we have off the field, is a team punishment. Sure it hurts the player to sit and watch his team on the field without him being able to help. I understand that.

BUt it seems the ONLY reason we have come to this "punishment" is because it somehow has become a popular choice simply because another team has done it. ANother team, with another player, with a different set of circumstances that surround that player, and their individual team.

So now its because a "media question" if we are going to follow through and "punish" our guy like the Jets did theirs? If we don't, we look like we are willing to accept this without recourse. This isn't something that is "right"...this is something that has been become "in vogue" to do.

Thats my problem with it.

dogfish
11-13-2010, 04:33 PM
exactly. . . i have zero issue with DJ being hit with the repurcussions of his action. . . i just think it's unecessary to bend over backwards to appease a piece of ****ing trash like mike florio and his bitch-ass soapbox crusades. . .

before the rise of PFT, did teams tack on these little public reprimands along with everything else? i mostly resent it because i perceive it as the team charting their course based on media relations. . .

Nomad
11-13-2010, 04:37 PM
I don't know if thats true. I think its a tendency to label people in today's society. Everyone has a condition, everyone has a 'syndrome'...everyone has a problem. Your leg twitches, you ahve "restless leg syndrome."

I also don't think any player in teh NFL changes their lifestyle, social or otherwise, because they go to center field and call the flip.

I'm not saying anything other than I think people LOVE to jump on someone when they are down. Its easy, its convenient, and it allows everyone to sit in their taller chair to look down and judge. All of a sudden, no one has done anything wrong, no one has gotten into a car after having a couple beers (I don't drink so I can honestly say I never have), and everyone has rocks in their hands as they look out from their glass houses.

Nomad, I'm not calling you out. I"m responding to your post, but talking in generalities...I hope you understand/realize that.

No sweat off my back! But this excuse is lame because as much education out there on DUI's! Obviously Williams can't handle his alcohol and should just stop drinking it and enjoy his career!! Everyone is guilty of wrongdoings, everyone is guilty of judging, everyone is guilty of lacking patience, and yes I have my rocks and so do you and everyone else on this forum!!!

Elevation inc
11-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Yes.. absolutely.. and No... not so much at the same time.

I think the "stripping" of his captain title and taking money is an individual punishment....taking the best defender we have off the field, is a team punishment. Sure it hurts the player to sit and watch his team on the field without him being able to help. I understand that.

BUt it seems the ONLY reason we have come to this "punishment" is because it somehow has become a popular choice simply because another team has done it. ANother team, with another player, with a different set of circumstances that surround that player, and their individual team.

So now its because a "media question" if we are going to follow through and "punish" our guy like the Jets did theirs? If we don't, we look like we are willing to accept this without recourse. This isn't something that is "right"...this is something that has been become "in vogue" to do.

Thats my problem with it.

the whole media thing is blown up big time...lol....for all we know it had nothing to do with the jets or titans and MCD is pissed and asked advcie and was told a quarter should suffice.....

this is the denver broncos who cares what the jets did with braylon...i dont...Dj should sit period...he is lucky its only a Quarter....

KCL
11-13-2010, 04:43 PM
The Denver Broncos punished D.J. Williams one day after his second drunken driving-related arrest, announcing Saturday that the linebacker received "the heaviest fines" allowed by the collective bargaining agreement, was stripped of his title as defensive co-captain and will not start in Sunday's home game against the AFC West rival Kansas City Chiefs.

"The Denver Broncos are extremely disappointed in D.J. Williams' careless and irresponsible actions on Friday morning," the team said in a statement. "This type of behavior is taken very seriously by the organization.

"The Broncos have levied the heaviest fines possible to him for conduct detrimental to the club under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement due to the disruption and resulting impact on the team. He will not start in Sunday's game against the Chiefs and has been stripped of his captaincy for the season."

Teams are allowed to fine players up to one game check, meaning Williams, who is making $3.67 million in base salary this season, could lose $215,882.35. However, the Denver Post reported that the fine was nearly $15,000.

Although Williams will not start, the Broncos didn't say how much he will play against the Chiefs. Earlier Saturday, the Post reported that the team was leaning toward benching Williams for the first quarter.

With Williams on the bench, the Broncos could insert Wesley Woodyard or Joe Mays at right inside linebacker or move outside linebacker Mario Haggan back inside and play Jarvis Moss on the outside. The Chiefs have the NFL's top-ranked rushing offense, averaging 179.6 yards per game.

Williams, who leads the Broncos in tackles (72) and sacks (3.5) this season, was charged with driving under the influence after being arrested in Denver early Friday morning, just hours before he was supposed to report to work at the team's practice facility.

District attorney's spokeswoman Lynn Kimbrough said Williams was pulled over at 2:40 a.m. Friday when police spotted him driving his car without headlights. He was cited with DUI, a misdemeanor, as well as driving without headlights, and taken to a detox facility.

If convicted, Williams faces a mandatory 10-day jail sentence, although the judge could order he serve his term at home, and at least two years of probation. Williams has been ordered to appear in court Dec. 13.

Williams showed up at Broncos headquarters shortly after practice started Friday, but he left after a few minutes.

For more on the Denver Broncos, check out the latest from our bloggers.
» Blog Blitz: Broncos

"Any further possible discipline stemming from this incident will be determined by the league's policies and the legal system," the Broncos said in their statement Saturday.

Indeed, it's up to the NFL to fine or suspend a player for alcohol-related offenses. And Williams faces a multiple-game suspension from the league because it was his second such arrest in his seven seasons in Denver. He pleaded guilty to impaired driving in 2005 and was ordered to perform 24 hours of community service.

After his 2005 arrest, Williams said he realized he needed to get a designated driver whenever he went out partying. The Broncos provide drivers to their players, but Williams didn't use one Friday.

Other teams have similarly punished players for infractions and distractions this season. The New York Jets benched wide receiver Braylon Edwards for one quarter after a DUI arrest, and the Tennessee Titans didn't let wide receiver Kenny Britt start after he was involved in a brawl at a Nashville bar.

San Diego Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson is serving a three-game suspension for multiple DUI arrests, which was reduced from an original four-game penalty.

A conviction isn't required for NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to suspend a player without pay. The league's policy states: "If the Commissioner finds that ... the player has had prior drug or alcohol-related misconduct, increased discipline up to and including suspension may be imposed."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c144b0/article/broncos-lb-williams-fined-benched-for-arrest-loses-captaincy?module=breaking_news

frauschieze
11-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Forget what the media wants. Forget what other teams have done.

Let DJ face the music for what he's done without hurting our team. As dog and rav said, the fines and the stripping of his captaincy are individual punishments that DJ deserves. They threw the book at him for fines. If that isn't enough to show the Broncos mean business to every other player on the team, then I don't know what is.

Sitting DJ isn't an effective punishment because it hurts the team more than it does him. With the fragile state of this team right now, I don't understand why people want to inflict chaos on them. Yes, DJ effed up. Yes, he deserves everything he has coming to him (provided he is found guilty). But he's getting that personally. Don't make the other 52 players suffer more than necessary for ONE player's bad decision.

Elevation inc
11-13-2010, 04:44 PM
exactly. . . i have zero issue with DJ being hit with the repurcussions of his action. . . i just think it's unecessary to bend over backwards to appease a piece of ****ing trash like mike florio and his bitch-ass soapbox crusades. . .

before the rise of PFT, did teams tack on these little public reprimands along with everything else? i mostly resent it because i perceive it as the team charting their course based on media relations. . .

yeah coaches have been sitting players for quarters for a variety of offenses for years......florio is a hack always has been, but otehr media is blowing up the jets and titans thinsg as to why.....this has been going on for years...heck remeber when veron davis was fined and benched for a half last year in San fran...its no different here...its just now the media has it so its a story that it seems the thing to do...

Thing to do? its been going on for years......players mess up they sit.....its a bigger story now as well becasue of Goodell's gay program.....so any repeat offense gets far more media hacks like florio out there than it would have had otherwise

Dj could have killed somebody this isnt bar fight or even smacking a women he could have killed a innocent family because of his stupidity.....he deserves to sit....

perhaps its to tough a opinion but i have zero tolerance for DUI's because of personal tragedy.....so i do concede I may have somewhat of a clouded judgement as well:beer:

KCL
11-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Has that already been posted? I will delete if so.

Nomad
11-13-2010, 04:50 PM
yeah coaches have been sitting players for quarters for a variety of offenses for years......florio is a hack always has been, but otehr media is blowing up the jets and titans thinsg as to why.....this has been going on for years...heck remeber when veron davis was fined and benched for a half last year in San fran...its no different here...its just now the media has it so its a story that it seems the thing to do...

Thing to do? its been going on for years......players mess up they sit.....its a bigger story now as well becasue of Goodell's gay program.....so any repeat offense gets far more media hacks like florio out there than it would have had otherwise

Dj could have killed somebody this isnt bar fight or even smacking a women he could have killed a innocent family because of his stupidity.....he deserves to sit....

perhaps its to tough a opinion but i have zero tolerance for DUI's because of personal tragedy.....so i do concede I may have somewhat of a clouded judgement as well:beer:

You don't have a clouded judgement INC.....DJ Williams does!! No need to apologize for him being the idiot and stand your ground on what your believe. He hurt his team by his actions and now people are twisting it on the coach!!!

Ravage!!!
11-13-2010, 04:52 PM
the whole media thing is blown up big time...lol....for all we know it had nothing to do with the jets or titans and MCD is pissed and asked advcie and was told a quarter should suffice.....

this is the denver broncos who cares what the jets did with braylon...i dont...Dj should sit period...he is lucky its only a Quarter....

But he was asked about it, and McD responded to the "is he going to be sat down like...." questions BEFORE a decision was made. Does it mean he was sat BECAUSE of those guys, no. But the fact that we are made to feel as though we have to have a comparable punishment, simply because "They" did.... is absurd.

We don't know what would have happened. Fining him to the maximum, stripping him of his titles, and now coincidentally sitting him just like other teams. To me, it feels as though the perception has a factor in the team's choice to sit him.

KCL
11-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Dj could have killed somebody this isnt bar fight or even smacking a women he could have killed a innocent family because of his stupidity.

There was that one player that hit that guy who ran across the street and was killed..can't remember right off who it was..so yes it is a very serious offense.Good thing is..he didn't get into an accident.

BORDERLINE
11-13-2010, 04:53 PM
I ask myself if my neighbor down the street get's a D.U.I??? Does his Boss fine him???? Is he striped of his job title???
Take away his damn license for 2 years. Make him take a couple years of mandatory A.A classes and leave it at that.
People make mistakes and they should pay. But that's up to the law to apply punishment not your employer

Elevation inc
11-13-2010, 04:54 PM
But he was asked about it, and McD responded to the "is he going to be sat down like...." questions BEFORE a decision was made. Does it mean he was sat BECAUSE of those guys, no. But the fact that we are made to feel as though we have to have a comparable punishment, simply because "They" did.... is absurd.

We don't know what would have happened. Fining him to the maximum, stripping him of his titles, and now coincidentally sitting him just like other teams. To me, it feels as though the perception has a factor in the team's choice to sit him.

thats fine your view and mine are just different, i think the media and some of you guys are seeing what you wanna see not what really happened, but i have no proof im right either and not seeing what i wanna see its just views differing i guess:beer:.....

HORSEPOWER 56
11-13-2010, 04:56 PM

And for some he's never WRONG, no matter what stupid decisions he makes.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-13-2010, 04:57 PM
There was that one player that hit that guy who ran across the street and was killed..can't remember right off who it was..so yes it is a very serious offense.Good thing is..he didn't get into an accident.

Donte Stallworth... now a Baltimore Raven.

KCL
11-13-2010, 04:58 PM
I ask myself if my neighbor down the street get's a D.U.I??? Does his Boss fine him???? Is he striped of his job title???
Take away his damn license for 2 years. Make him take a couple years of mandatory A.A classes and leave it at that.
People make mistakes and they should pay. But that's up to the law to apply punishment not your employer

After his 2005 arrest, Williams said he realized he needed to get a designated driver whenever he went out partying. The Broncos provide drivers to their players, but Williams didn't use one Friday.

How many employers do this?

Ravage!!!
11-13-2010, 04:58 PM
You don't have a clouded judgement INC.....DJ Williams does!! No need to apologize for him being the idiot and stand your ground on what your believe. He hurt his team by his actions and now people are twisting it on the coach!!!

Not twisting it against the coach. I'm not a McD fan, but 'm not putting this on HIM as a person. I'm putting this on the decision to hurt the team after already giving him the largest fine they can and then stripping his titles. How much do we want to "banish" this guy for his mistake?

I guess we should have him put the big, red, "D" on his chest during practice and maybe before the game have him run around the stadium with a sign around his neck. At least THOSE, would be individual punishments.

Sitting him isn't going to take any money from his pocket...its going to hurt the TEAM more than it hurts him individually. His shame isn't going to get greater for sitting a quarter. Do you really think missing a quarter of football is going to be the "straw" that changes his life? I think the NFL suspension is going to be MORE than enough to do that.

Don't twist this into a "anti-McD" discussion and run in with your black steed and drawn sword to defend the "honor" of our coach. This isn't what this is about, UNTIL you try to make it as such.

Ravage!!!
11-13-2010, 04:59 PM
[/U]

How many employers do this?

Nearly every cab company in the nation.

Elevation inc
11-13-2010, 05:00 PM

it was stallworth and that clown got off way to easy......its unacceptable period!!!!

KCL
11-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Nearly every cab company in the nation.

My husband's employer doesn't and I don't imagine the average person's employer does either..that's my point.

Elevation inc
11-13-2010, 05:02 PM

pretty sure your neighbor down the street isnt idolized by millions of fans around the world either.....

Nomad
11-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Lame excuses, man! It has nothing to do with anti Mcdaniels more than it does Williams taking responsibility for his actions. Williams is hurting his team no one else !! I guess you have your belief and I have mine!!

Ravage!!!
11-13-2010, 05:05 PM
My husband's employer doesn't and I don't imagine the average person's employer does either..that's my point.

I mean, nearly every cab company in the nation offers up free cab rides for those too drunk to drive home.

I don't think ANYONE is defending DJ's actions for driving while intoxicated. But lets be honest..... MANY do it and not even realize that they are over the limit. Is that an excuse? Not in the least, but it explains why people get into their cars rather than call someone.

But the discussion isn't if anyone thinks DJ was right in what he did...but if we feel the punishment is fair to the team. Punish DJ to the utmost, but lets be just AND fair about it.

Ravage!!!
11-13-2010, 05:06 PM
Lame excuses, man! It has nothing to do with anti Mcdaniels more than it does Williams taking responsibility for his actions. Williams is hurting his team no one else !! I guess you have your belief and I have mine!!

what "excuses" are you referring too? I didn't give a single excuse,for I'm NOT defending DJ's actions.

Elevation inc
11-13-2010, 05:07 PM
I mean, nearly every cab company in the nation offers up free cab rides for those too drunk to drive home.

I don't think ANYONE is defending DJ's actions for driving while intoxicated. But lets be honest..... MANY do it and not even realize that they are over the limit. Is that an excuse? Not in the least, but it explains why people get into their cars rather than call someone.

But the discussion isn't if anyone thinks DJ was right in what he did...but if we feel the punishment is fair to the team. Punish DJ to the utmost, but lets be just AND fair about it.

the big thing rav is its happened before so its not just a mistake its now a trend thats the big issue if it can happen twice it can happen 3 times and 4.....thats why i am pissed with him anyways....especially since the broncos offer DD's.....damn you DJ:lol:

KCL
11-13-2010, 05:13 PM

I'm talking about EMPLOYERS that provide a car and driver Ravage..thanks for missing the point AGAIN.

Dzone
11-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Controversy the week before a game is usually a bad omen. This game sets the tone for the next half of the season...lose in a bad way, and that could be way the season goes. Win this game and it will cover a multitude of sins

Georgia is beating #2 Auburn after a week of controversy surrounding the Auburn qb

Nomad
11-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Controversy the week before a game is usually a bad omen. This game sets the tone for the next half of the season...lose in a bad way, and that could be way the season goes. Win this game and it will cover a multitude of sins

No I've been giving KCL too much crap this week.....BRONCOS win!!

frauschieze
11-13-2010, 05:16 PM

I don't see anyone twisting it on the coach. :confused:

Ravage!!!
11-13-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm talking about EMPLOYERS that provide a car and driver Ravage..thanks for missing the point AGAIN.

Yes KCL.... I get what you are talking about... AGAIN. But I was supporting your case by pointing out that DJ could have called a FREE CAB if the employer didn't provide. ... AGAIN.

Ravage!!!
11-13-2010, 05:20 PM
the big thing rav is its happened before so its not just a mistake its now a trend thats the big issue if it can happen twice it can happen 3 times and 4.....thats why i am pissed with him anyways....especially since the broncos offer DD's.....damn you DJ:lol:

Right.. twice in 5 years. if it happens 4 times in 20... then we got one hell of an aged LB.

AGAIN... let me make myself clear. I'm not saying NOT to punish the player. SInce that is what would keep him from doing it 3-4 times. Punishing the team isn't going to keep the INDIVIDUAL from doing something again. Its the punishment to HIM that will change that.

KCL
11-13-2010, 05:20 PM

Thank You...it states in the article I posted that they do this...Ravage is trying to compare it to cabs giving free rides to drunk people...not the same thing...at all.

GEM
11-13-2010, 05:22 PM
McD had no choice...he has pushed the character thing, to back track and not do something would drip of complete hypocrisy. I can't and won't hold that against him. DJ's the moron who decided to drive. He gets to deal with the consequences. Unfortunately it will effect his teammates...again, that is on DJ, not the coach.

KCL
11-13-2010, 05:22 PM
No I've been giving KCL too much crap this week.....BRONCOS win!!

Yes you have..that's what it's all about.

Nomad
11-13-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't see anyone twisting it on the coach. :confused:

OK "team"! Then again, I thought the coach was the decision maker when it was referred to the players on this team!! Twisting it on Dove Vally...better:ohwell:. DJ is ultimately responsible and he was given the punishment which seems to be fair with what the league does! He hurt his team by his actions and the BRONCOS can't be blamed for making him pay his dues!!

Elevation inc
11-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Right.. twice in 5 years. if it happens 4 times in 20... then we got one hell of an aged LB.

AGAIN... let me make myself clear. I'm not saying NOT to punish the player. SInce that is what would keep him from doing it 3-4 times. Punishing the team isn't going to keep the INDIVIDUAL from doing something again. Its the punishment to HIM that will change that.

well some people actually are deeply affected when others have to feel the reprecussions...i think thats the point here....to convey just how bad he did effect his teammates....its kind of a damn i just screwed my team i do need to shape the hell up....

but anyways i see your view rav i just dont agree...moving on;)

GEM
11-13-2010, 05:31 PM
How dare a coach and organization hold a player that they pay a shitload of money responsible. How dare they expect that he show better behavior and make better choices. How dare they throw the book at him since there was an easy out for him that would have been provided by the very organization.

McD isn't screwing the team by benching DJ....DJ screwed the team by drinking and driving.

frauschieze
11-13-2010, 05:38 PM
McD had no choice...he has pushed the character thing, to back track and not do something would drip of complete hypocrisy. I can't and won't hold that against him. DJ's the moron who decided to drive. He gets to deal with the consequences. Unfortunately it will effect his teammates...again, that is on DJ, not the coach.

Hypocrisy, in this case, would be a welcome change, especially if it signaled a change in how that team first philosophy is implemented.

Motivation is a tricky thing. Benching DJ, even if it's the "right" thing to do because DJ deserves it, is the "wrong" thing to do in the larger picture of the team as a whole. The motivational glimpses I've seen into the team mentality, is one of the biggest grievances I have with McDaniels. I think his methods are stone aged and ineffective. Don't get me wrong, I like the philosophy and the idea of a team first mentality. But the implementation strategy is severely lacking, particularly in the motivational areas (ironically, one of the most crucial in a regime change).

And overall, yes, I agree, DJ is the one who is hurt the team with his choices. McDaniels and the Broncos management now have a choice as well; one that can possibly expound on the harm DJ has done or can go a long way in trying to fix some of the ills in Denver. I'll be interested in seeing how it plays out.

Ravage!!!
11-13-2010, 05:42 PM
How dare a coach and organization hold a player that they pay a shitload of money responsible. How dare they expect that he show better behavior and make better choices. How dare they throw the book at him since there was an easy out for him that would have been provided by the very organization.

McD isn't screwing the team by benching DJ....DJ screwed the team by drinking and driving.

Wait. NO ONE is saying that DJ doesn't deserve to be punished. QUite the oppoisite. NO ONE is even making a suggestion that DJ shouldn't be held responsible. DJ SHOULD BE HELD RESPONDIBLE (and is).

But there comes a point. Fined him as much as we can.. thats putting it on DJ. Taking away his "captains" title. THat not only is putting it on DJ, but is 'stripping' him of status to his peers. THe NFL will suspend him.. THATs an individual punishment that will ultimately hurt the team for GAMES. THAT is something DJ will absolutely hate and feel horrible about.

But what is sitting him for a "quarter" really doing? Its not enough to change behavior, but just enough to hurt the team. So this, to me, is (as you said, really) because McD has to live up to the "character" issue, he has to respond to what was brought up by the media ASKING McD if HE would "do the same thing" as another team (Jets/Titans).

For McD not to follow through with the same, it would be sending a message that his entire mantra of "character" didn't mean anything.

Sitting a quarter is purely a PR thing, then a team thing...imo.

Nomad
11-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Yes you have..that's what it's all about.

Yeah, it's gonna really hurt Chiefs fans when the BRONCOS win knowing the turmoil that is upon the BRONCOS!!:tongue::D

GEM
11-13-2010, 05:48 PM
If it were his first offense, I would agree with ya'll.

Can't do it in this instance.

frauschieze
11-13-2010, 05:49 PM

How dare the Broncos put the entire organization above the actions of one person. How dare the Broncos consider the bigger picture of the entire season and the course ahead than take the opportunity to show they mean business.

It goes both ways, Gem.

DJ deserves what he's got coming to him, even if it means sitting out the full four games the Broncos can bench him plus any other suspension the NFL imposes, plus going to jail.

But I want the Broncos to succeed and be a good team more than I want DJ to "pay his due" on the sidelines. It's not a more effective deterrent than the harm it causes. That's all.

GEM
11-13-2010, 05:56 PM
I see your points....still don't agree with them.

That's ok though. :)

I Eat Staples
11-13-2010, 08:06 PM
pretty sure your neighbor down the street isnt idolized by millions of fans around the world either.....

That shouldn't matter. A job is a job, and NFL players are simply employees of the NFL and their team.

Pushing the character thing has not worked. NFL players aren't kids, that shit doesn't work in this league.

I think the players are already becoming unhappy playing for McD. Seeing DJ benched could very well do more harm than good.

BroncoWave
11-13-2010, 08:10 PM
it was stallworth and that clown got off way to easy......its unacceptable period!!!!

Someone obviously doesn't know the facts of that case.

Jake Klug
11-13-2010, 08:49 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16604822?source=rss

The Broncos are expected to announce early this afternoon a decision on punishment for star linebacker D.J. Williams, who was arrested early Friday morning on suspicion of drunk driving.

The team on Friday was leaning toward benching Williams for the first quarter of Sunday's game against the Kansas City Chiefs. That move would follow the precedent set earlier this season by the New York Jets, who briefly benched receiver Braylon Edwards after a DUI, and the Titans, who did not allow receiver Kenny Britt to start after he was involved in a bar fight.

But the team and coach Josh McDaniels needed more time to deliberate today before making a final decision. Williams also faces a multi-game suspension from the NFL as a two-time offender of the substance abuse policy. Friday's arrest was his second for DUI. The first was during the 2005 season.

Williams also faces a mandatory 10-day jail sentence and a minimum of two years probation if he is convicted. His first court date is schedule for Dec. 13.

But Sunday's benching — for the first quarter at least — would come directly from McDaniels, likely as punishment for Williams' poor judgment and behavior the coach described several times as "disappointing." Williams was arrested just before 3 a.m. Friday, a little more than two days before a must-win game against the division-leading Chiefs.

Williams missed Friday's practice — he arrived at Dove Valley shortly after his teammates started practice, still wearing the same clothes from the night before — and spent about 15 minutes at the facility later.

Williams, the second-longest tenured Bronco, is a defensive captain, and leads the team in both tackles and sacks. With Williams on the bench, either Wesley Woodyard or Joe Mays is expected to start at inside linebacker. Mario Haggan, who has played both inside and outside this season, could move back inside as well.

So they bench Marshall for the last game last year with the season on the line but 2-7 later, priniciple has fallen by the wayside. So much for this regime being more about character. What a joke.

Elevation inc
11-14-2010, 04:07 AM
So they bench Marshall for the last game last year with the season on the line but 2-7 later, priniciple has fallen by the wayside. So much for this regime being more about character. What a joke.

NFL rules stipulate teams cant suspend players for a full game for law breaking incidents thats the leagues job......marshall was benched under a coaches decision its a completely different scenario

Elevation inc
11-14-2010, 04:09 AM
Someone obviously doesn't know the facts of that case.

lol...sure bud....your telling me what i know now???? manslaughter bro....he served what 30 days....i know enough to know he got off way to easy...

Elevation inc
11-14-2010, 04:12 AM
That shouldn't matter. A job is a job, and NFL players are simply employees of the NFL and their team.

:lol: to you it shouldnt matter...fine....but in reality it does matter, thats a fact and because the nfl is so famous. Its not cool to commit crimes at any job even more so when you are scrutinized the way NFL players are. Its really not cool to repeat the offense either...

Pushing the character thing has not worked. NFL players aren't kids, that shit doesn't work in this league.

I think the players are already becoming unhappy playing for McD. Seeing DJ benched could very well do more harm than good.

above

Broncolingus
11-14-2010, 10:17 AM
This young man has a significant problem that he needs to get help with...

would hate to see him throw away the rest of his career - well, life potentially - for a bottle...

HORSEPOWER 56
11-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Personally, I'm disappointed about DJ's recent DUI but he's not my son, brother, or friend so I really don't care what the punishment for him is. This season is all but over for us. A loss this weekend to KC pretty much puts the final nail in the coffin. Frankly, even though DJ has played pretty well this season considering the circumstances, I don't think he'll be the guy that makes us or breaks us this week. If he sits a quarter or even the whole game, I don't think it will make a whole lot of difference in the grand scheme of things win or lose.

This week is about the offense. If they struggle to convert on 3rd down and can't score more than 17 points, we lose. Simple as that. The offense can put pressure on KC's offense and force them to abandon the run late in the game by scoring points. That is the ONLY way I can see to slow down KC's rushing attack. No team has really been able to do it so far and I don't expect us to either, with or without DJ.

This is a character game for the Broncos. If we lose, it shows that the heart, will to win, and character has left the building. If we win, it might jump start some kind of comeback to at least respectability. If we go 5-1 in the division, we're still not guaranteed a playoff birth but at least it shows improvement. Looking at the schedule though, I am really struggling to see where we win more than 2 more games. 4-12 would be a HUGE black eye for this once proud franchise and would likely spell the end of Brian Dawkins' career and well as Champ's time in Denver. Why would either want to return to such a bad team?

Lancane
11-14-2010, 10:42 AM
It's called being human, as of 1995 the average arrests for DUI's in the United States was 1,400,200 and since 95' it has pretty much been close to the overall average for the last decade.

Statistics have shown that in years of financial and other social issues the number exceeds the gross national average. It's also been documented by supervised medical case studies that when people are depressed, concerned or unhappy in general with the issues in their life, from work to relationships that nearly 35% of the populous turns to other sources of comfort beyond religion, such as drugs and alcohol or even sex or other so-called anti-social activities.

So let me ask you...would you not get drunk if McDaniels was your Head Coach? Maybe there was actually something in Marshall's behavior last season that we as fans did not see that led to him acting that way, whether we saw it or not. I mean I'm reading that people want to crucify Williams for his poor judgment, but who among us doesn't know a person or two who themselves had made horrible judgments in their life? He's been stripped of his captaincy and benched for the first half of today's game, the league may do worse, the reason the Broncos are going so far with this is to hopefully lighten the punishment by the league office for the incident...but some people need to remember that he's human, just as all the other athletes in the league are human and as such, they will F'n mess up from time to time, and the media puts them out there so we look down on them, morally judging them when we have no right to.

Nomad
11-14-2010, 10:50 AM
This young man has a significant problem that he needs to get help with...

would hate to see him throw away the rest of his career - well, life potentially - for a bottle...

Pretty much linguis! I hope he turns things around and remains a BRONCO but DJ has to be willing to get help and get clean!! I don't see DJ with character issues but a chemical dependency problem and that can be fixed with dedication, support and a will to!!

GEM
11-14-2010, 10:55 AM
It's called being human, as of 1995 the average arrests for DUI's in the United States was 1,400,200 and since 95' it has pretty much been close to the overall average for the last decade.

Statistics have shown that in years of financial and other social issues the number exceeds the gross national average. It's also been documented by supervised medical case studies that when people are depressed, concerned or unhappy in general with the issues in their life, from work to relationships that nearly 35% of the populous turns to other sources of comfort beyond religion, such as drugs and alcohol or even sex or other so-called anti-social activities.

So let me ask you...would you not get drunk if McDaniels was your Head Coach? Maybe there was actually something in Marshall's behavior last season that we as fans did not see that led to him acting that way, whether we saw it or not. I mean I'm reading that people want to crucify Williams for his poor judgment, but who among us doesn't know a person or two who themselves had made horrible judgments in their life? He's been stripped of his captaincy and benched for the first half of today's game, the league may do worse, the reason the Broncos are going so far with this is to hopefully lighten the punishment by the league office for the incident...but some people need to remember that he's human, just as all the other athletes in the league are human and as such, they will F'n mess up from time to time, and the media puts them out there so we look down on them, morally judging them when we have no right to.

Getting drunk is one thing...driving is another. I don't judge DJ for drinking, I judge him because he had alternatives to getting behind the wheel of a vehicle and putting other people's lives at risk.

There are just some things in this world you don't do. For me, it's driving while impaired.

I've seen in this thread that my threshold is a lot lower for this stuff than most peoples. I've noticed that I'm a hard ass. Above and beyond football, there are people driving on Broadway at 2 in the morning, when you drive drunk you put those other people at risk. It's not my right to get into a car and put other people's lives at risk because I'm an irresponsible idiot.

Just to tie it into your post about the athlete being the same other people...I feel the same way about my ex sister in law who has 2 DUI's. We have gotten into knock down drag out fights over the selfishness on her part. I've had the same fight with another friend who has had 2. I've told both to pick up a phone and call me if they need a ride...neither have done so. So, I just don't feel sorry for anyone with the issue.

Slick
11-14-2010, 10:58 AM

I think it shows us that one of our captains has given up. ie he knows the season is over. I doubt this happens if we are 5-3 with a chance to do something this year.

As far as sitting a quarter, that won't teach him shit. The only way these guys learn anything is hitting them in the wallet. He's not a 5 year old sitting in the time out area.

Nomad
11-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Getting drunk is one thing...driving is another. I don't judge DJ for drinking, I judge him because he had alternatives to getting behind the wheel of a vehicle and putting other people's lives at risk.

There are just some things in this world you don't do. For me, it's driving while impaired.

I've seen in this thread that my threshold is a lot lower for this stuff than most peoples. I've noticed that I'm a hard ass. Above and beyond football, there are people driving on Broadway at 2 in the morning, when you drive drunk you put those other people at risk. It's not my right to get into a car and put other people's lives at risk because I'm an irresponsible idiot.

If the warnings and education wouldn't be out there then playing niave would be ok, but it's not! Kids start getting educated on this stuff at an early age even before they can sniff a driver's license. When it comes to this I wish more people had a lower tolerence for this nonsense (hell, you can call the police station for a ride home if you want to go to extremes), whether it's by a player on my favorite team or a family member, I would approach it the same way!! I don't see it as judging as more to why people believe they are above and beyond the law and what the effects of drunk driving cause!!

BroncoWave
11-14-2010, 11:04 AM
lol...sure bud....your telling me what i know now???? manslaughter bro....he served what 30 days....i know enough to know he got off way to easy...

Did you know that Stallworth actually went to sleep and slept a few hours instead of initially driving home from the bar because he didn't want to drive drunk? He thought he had slept it off when he got in the car. And did you also know the man darted across the street into moving traffic and there really wasn't much Stallworth could have done to avoid him? If you are going to run into a street of oncoming traffic it's hard for me to feel bad for you when something bad happens. Should have been more careful.

Elevation inc
11-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Did you know that Stallworth actually went to sleep and slept a few hours instead of initially driving home from the bar because he didn't want to drive drunk? He thought he had slept it off when he got in the car. And did you also know the man darted across the street into moving traffic and there really wasn't much Stallworth could have done to avoid him? If you are going to run into a street of oncoming traffic it's hard for me to feel bad for you when something bad happens. Should have been more careful.

its silll man slaughter, its still driving while impaired, and stallworth still got off lightly.....but i also agree the man that was killed isnt absolved of fault either

Tned
11-14-2010, 11:30 AM

Just to tie it into your post about the athlete being the same other people...I feel the same way about my ex sister in law who has 2 DUI's. We have gotten into knock down drag out fights over the selfishness on her part. I've had the same fight with another friend who has had 2. I've told both to pick up a phone and call me if they need a ride...neither have done so. So, I just don't feel sorry for anyone with the issue.

A couple things to add.

First, to further your response to Lancane. As with you, I don't have a problem with a player (or anyone else) drinking, I only have a problem when they get behind the wheel after drinking.

What's also important to remember is that the NFL, Players Union and most of the NFL teams (I'm not sure if Denver is one of them) have 24/7 assistance programs for things like this. They are programs that insure a player can call someone for a ride, but have no repercussions from doing so.

Even more than the average person, NFL athletes have zero excuse for driving drunk, because they have many, many alternatives to getting behind the wheel.

Now, as to the more tolerance than some. I have said before, and will reiterate, I personally separate what players do off the field with what they do on the field. I don't consider them role models, and therefore don't get upset when they screw up. The fact is that even among some of the 'best' of the NFL in terms of offfield behavior, most of them appear to live their lives in ways that I don't agree with. In the same way I will watch a Charlie Sheen show, or Robert Downey Jr. movie while not agreeing with the way they lead their lives or how they keep getting off 'light' in terms of punishment, I like their work. Even though I don't agree with many Hollywood actors politically, I still watch their work.

For me, I focus on the product I am paying for (so to speak) which is their 'job' and don't worry about what they do off the field up until it impacts their job and therefore my entertainment.

Now, I know a lot don't share my view of to a large degree "not caring" what players do off the field, and that's fine. I certainly respect the view of others that more tightly tie on field and off field behavior, I just don't agree.

Now, with all of that said, I won't to reiterate that I think that there is ZERO place for people to drink and drive.

Northman
11-14-2010, 11:31 AM

Im not sure, the wife and i were talking about this last night. When Big Ben got in trouble wasnt it the team that sidelined him or was it Goodell? I cant remember exactly who brought down the punishment there.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Im not sure, the wife and i were talking about this last night. When Big Ben got in trouble wasnt it the team that sidelined him or was it Goodell? I cant remember exactly who brought down the punishment there.

It was Goodell.

Spiritguy
11-14-2010, 12:17 PM

For me, the bolded part is the worst. WHY would you not take advantage of that service? Especially when you have already had a DWI.

Krugan
11-14-2010, 01:25 PM
I have no link, but heard on the news this morning, he was stripped of captaincy, will be sat for the 1st qt, and the team fined him $15,000, which is the max they can for the detrimental to the team rules.

If this has already been posted im sorry, and I havent had time to search out this being fact based and reported correctly.