PDA

View Full Version : NFL Cutdown Dates:

turftoad
08-15-2008, 10:21 AM
"ROSTER CUTDOWN DATES: The first mandatory roster reduction will be on Tuesday, August 26, when all NFL teams must reduce their roster to 75 players. The final roster cuts will be on Saturday, August 30, when each team must reduce to 53 active players. Until the mandatory roster cuts, the NFL roster limit for each team is 80 players under contract."

Also, in the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement:

Under Article XXXIV:

PRACTICE SQUADS

Section 1. Practice Squads:
(a) The League may elect in any League Year in accordance with this Article to establish practice squads not to exceed eight (8) players per Club. The League’s election in any one season shall not determine or affect its election in any subsequent season.
(b) The League may elect to allow some or all Clubs to add to their practice squads one additional player, who shall not count against the limit above, whose citizenship and principal place of residence are outside the United States and its Territories (“International Player”). The League’s election in any one season shall not determine or affect its election in any subsequent season. Such International Players shall be subject to the same terms and conditions of employment that apply to other practice players except that they (1) may not, during the term of their practice player contract, negotiate or sign an NFL Player Contract with any Club; and (2) may not practice with any Club following the last Conference Championship Game unless both Conference Championship teams have such a player. In addition, notwithstanding the provisions of Section 4 below, such International Player shall be eligible to serve on a Practice Squad for three additional seasons after the completion of the player's year(s) as an International Player. As set forth in Article XXXIV, Section 3, the weekly salary for such international players shall not be included in the employing Club's Team Salary and shall be deducted from the calculation of the Salary Cap in the same manner as any Player Benefit.

Section 2. Signing With Other Clubs:
(a) Any player under contract to a Club as a practice squad player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club at any time during the League Year, to serve as a player on any Club’s Active or Inactive List, and any Club is completely free to negotiate and sign such a Player Contract with such player, without penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period, except that such player shall not be permitted to sign a Player Contract with another Club to serve as a practice squad player while under contract as a practice squad player.
(b) Notwithstanding Subsection (a) above, a practice squad player may not sign an NFL Player Contract with his Club’s next opponent later than 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the sixth day preceding the game (except in bye weeks, when the prohibition commences on the tenth day preceding the game).

Section 3. Salary: Minimum salary for a practice squad player shall be $4,700 per week for the 2006-07 League Years, $5,200 per week for the 2008-10 League Years and the 2011 League Year if it is an Uncapped Year, and $5,700 per week for the 2011 League Year if it is a Capped Year and the 2012 League Year, including postseason weeks in which his Club is in the playoffs.

Section 4. Eligibility:
(a) The practice squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than two previous seasons on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). An otherwise eligible player may be a practice squad player for a third season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment.
(b) A player shall be deemed to have served on a Practice Squad in a season if he has passed the club’s physical and been a member of the club’s Practice Squad for at least three regular season or postseason games during his first two Practice Squad seasons, and for at least one regular season or postseason game during his third Practice Squad season. (A bye week counts as a game provided that the player is not terminated until after the regular season or postseason weekend in question.)

Section 5. Active List: If a player on the Practice Squad of one club (Club A) signs an NFL Player Contract with another club (Club B), (1) the player shall receive three weeks salary of his NFL Player Contract at the 53- player Active/Inactive List minimum even if he is terminated by Club B prior to earning that amount, and (2) Club B is required to count the player on its 53-player Active/Inactive List for three games (a bye week counts as a game) even if he is terminated or assigned via waivers to another club or is signed as a free agent to another club’s 53-player roster or another club’s Practice Squad prior to that time. If the player is terminated from Club B’s 53-player roster and signed to Club B’s Practice Squad, he shall continue to count on the club’s 53-player Active/Inactive List but shall not count against the eight-player Practice Squad limit until the three-game requirement has been fulfilled. If a player is terminated prior to the completion of the three-game period and is signed to Club B’s Practice Squad or is signed or assigned to another club’s 53-player roster or Practice Squad, any salary (as that term is defined in Article XXIV, Section 1(c)) that he receives from any NFL club applicable to the three-game period shall be an offset against the three weeks salary that he is entitled to receive from Club B.

Well, who gets cut and who doesn't.

Discuss:

Kaylore
08-15-2008, 03:47 PM
I think it depends on who gets released. I can see us not planning on releasing some players only to seem some targets we couldn't get hit waivers and thus the shuffling and re-shuffling will occur.

Slick
08-15-2008, 04:31 PM
I think it depends on who gets released. I can see us not planning on releasing some players only to seem some targets we couldn't get hit waivers and thus the shuffling and re-shuffling will occur.

Good point. Another team's trash might still be better than some of the guys in our front 7. I think our offense is capable. I'm not in panic mode, but I'm slightly worried about the D.

Buff
08-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Good point. Another team's trash might still be better than some of the guys in our front 7. I think our offense is capable. I'm not in panic mode, but I'm slightly worried about the D.

Yeah the Broncos need some team to ax a MLB or DT that no one expected to get cut a la Jeremiah Trotter with the Eagles last year. It would be nice to shore up either of those positions.

turftoad
08-25-2008, 10:46 AM
First cut down day is tommorow.

WARHORSE
08-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Who thinks Keary Colbert will be cut?

Tebow4Ever
08-25-2008, 01:25 PM
I do..He played horribly through these last three preseason games. He never caught on the way I was hoping he would.

silkamilkamonico
08-25-2008, 01:44 PM

I think he should. Shanahan will probably save face and keep him because of his bonus.

He most certainly should be cut before Jackson.

Lonestar
08-25-2008, 06:11 PM

most likely after the marshall supsension is done..

Stargazer
08-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Saturday cannot come soon enough. Time to slaughter the roster down to 53. 22 to go!