PDA

View Full Version : Broncos defense proving porous against run

KCL
11-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Well I hope they have trouble stopping the run this weekend...Charles got a little banged up last week in the Oakland game.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/11/2422804/broncos-defense-proving-porous.html

Broncos defense proving porous against run

NGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) — The Denver Broncos worked all summer on mastering the machinations of defensive coordinator Don Martindale's system.

And then one fractured foot forced them to forgo all those plans.

With hybrid pass-rusher Robert Ayers sidelined for the last month, the Broncos have scrapped their 3-4 look in favor of their old scheme that features four defensive linemen and three linebackers.

This despite hardly having the personnel for the alignment, which could be a reason the Broncos (2-6) are surrendering a league-high 155 yards rushing a game.

"There's no one looking forward to Robert Ayers coming back more than me," Martindale said Thursday.

Just when Ayers might be back remains up in the air. He's already been ruled out for Sunday against Kansas City (5-3).

Ayers didn't have a protective boot on his broken foot this week and he's been working out with the team's strength and conditioning coach, giving the team optimism that he'll return to action soon.

The Broncos were hoping Ayers would emerge as their top pass-rusher once Elvis Dumervil, who led the league in sacks last year, was lost for the season with a torn chest muscle early in training camp.

And Ayers was having a solid season when he got hurt in a loss at Baltimore on Oct. 10, forcing the Broncos to alter their defensive scheme, with mixed results. Their 4-3 defense was solid against the New York Jets, a disaster against the Oakland Raiders.

"I don't want to sit here and say we're going to only play this or that at this point," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "We're going to practice both because we have to, understanding that we'd love to be back into that 3-4 mold as much as we could."

Defensive lineman Kevin Vickerson thinks the struggles on defense have little to do with what scheme they're in and everything to do with simple things, such as technique.

It's a sentiment shared by Pro Bowl safety Brian Dawkins.

"We've been in place to make the plays, we just haven't made them," Dawkins said. "Whatever the situation calls for, you have to be able to adjust. We've had our share of difficulties, whether it be injuries, but you can't use that as an excuse."

The Broncos have had a week off to go back to the drawing board and prepare for the Chiefs, who lead the NFL in rushing behind a pair of backs on pace for 1,000-yard seasons in Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones.

Hardly an easy assignment for a team that's allowed a combined 471 yards rushing over the last two games.

"They have a potent attack," Dawkins said. "The thing we have to do defensively is we have to tackle well. We have to set the edges on these guys."

McDaniels didn't assemble the roster this season with the notion of having to go back to a primarily 4-3 look. That's why he beefed up the interior line, adding Jamal Williams and Justin Bannan.

Being so thin at linebacker, though, the Broncos have rotated in players such as Ryan McBean, Ronald Fields, Marcus Thomas and Vickerson.

"If we can get back to playing the 3-4 or odd front, those kinds of things have certainly been more productive for us over the course of the long haul than the 4-3 front or the 4-3 personnel grouping," McDaniels said. "We didn't try to do what we did with our front and our linebacking corps to play that front."

Dawkins has long brought energy and exuberance to the field, constantly striving to create a spark. In practice this week, he's been looking for the same type of reaction from his defensive brethren, a passion for change.

"The tempo at practice has been excellent," Dawkins conceded.

As for any indications the Broncos will be improved on defense in the second half of the season, Dawkins said that's something better to show than tell.

"It's about doing. I think that's the mindset," Dawkins said. "Even though we've dug ourselves a tough hole thus far, guys are having fun playing the game."

Can players have fun when the team is struggling?

"You don't enter the game with 2-6 on your mind," Dawkins said. "You enter the game with, 'This is the game we're going to win. We're going to try out best to go out and do what we do.' You don't go in saying, 'We're 2-6.' That's not the way you play any sport."

KCL
11-12-2010, 03:31 PM
I like Jones and I think he was a great addition but they need to get the ball to Charles more...I joked with Ravage in a thread here while back when he questioned why Charles wasn't getting more carries...I told him Haley was saving him for Denver...:lol:

KCL
11-12-2010, 03:39 PM
I didn't post this to "pour gas on the fire"(w/e the hell that means)...the thread title isn't my word choice...there are parts of the article with quotes from the Broncos.

Posting it since the teams play this weekend.

LRtagger
11-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Get lost troll!

jhildebrand
11-12-2010, 05:24 PM
I like KCL. She is one of the best fans of other teams we have round here.

LRtagger
11-12-2010, 05:25 PM
She is the worst poster here!

KCL
11-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Get lost troll!

She is the worst poster here!

:lol:

You know you love me!!!

LRtagger
11-12-2010, 05:45 PM
http://www.rpgminiatures.com/acatalog/feral_Troll.jpg

KCL
11-12-2010, 05:47 PM
http://www.rpgminiatures.com/acatalog/feral_Troll.jpg

:laugh:

I hope the Chiefs troll I mean roll you guys!!!

LRtagger
11-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Take it to the smack forum troll!

topscribe
I like Jones and I think he was a great addition but they need to get the ball to Charles more...I joked with Ravage in a thread here while back when he questioned why Charles wasn't getting more carries...I told him Haley was saving him for Denver...:lol:

Why would he do that?

The way Denver's playing the run, KC's equipment manager could win the NFL Ground Player of the Week . . . :tsk:

-----

dogfish
Get lost troll!

^^ this ^^

:coffee:

KCL
11-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Take it to the smack forum troll!

The only person who turned it into a smack thread was you.

Ravage!!!
11-12-2010, 05:53 PM

Charles scares me :tsk:

LRtagger
11-12-2010, 05:55 PM
The only person who turned it into a smack thread was you.

No you posted the thread to bait us.

You are a master baiter!

KCL
11-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Why would he do that?

The way Denver's playing the run, KC's equipment manager could win the NFL Ground Player of the Week . . . :tsk:

-----

They got shut down last week in Oakland top...so it can be done...I hope not..to be honest I don't have a good feeling about this game for the Chiefs...I felt the same way going into the Raiders game...I think I'm so use to the Chiefs losing ways..I never think they will win.

GEM
11-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Listen missy...the smack forum is >>>>>>>that way. :mad:

KCL
11-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Listen missy...the smack forum is >>>>>>>that way. :mad:

See my post above this one!!! :D

GEM
11-12-2010, 06:07 PM

I know...we're just giving ya shit, girl!!! :lol:

turftoad
11-12-2010, 06:08 PM

Well I still love you. :D

LRtagger
11-12-2010, 06:09 PM
BFS..If I am such a troll on these boards...Why in the hell would I have started this thread last season...**** of the thread if you don't like it.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70228&highlight=congrats

I am reporting your post Master Baiter!!!!!!!!!!

dogfish
11-12-2010, 06:10 PM
you should post some pics of your daughter to prove you still love us. . . .

:wave:

LRtagger
11-12-2010, 06:10 PM
word to that dog

KCL
11-12-2010, 06:11 PM
I know...we're just giving ya shit, girl!!! :lol:

Well I still love you. :D

I know GEM...I'm just giving it back...that's why I smiled in the post you
quoted...I love you too toad..I love Tagger...he can stay in the thread and
rc is welcome also.

topscribe
11-12-2010, 06:12 PM

Hell no, KC! Why would I want pictures of someone young enough to be my daughter?

Post some pics of yourself! :nod:

-----

turftoad
I know GEM...I'm just giving it back...that's why I smiled in the post you
quoted...I love you too toad..I love Tagger...he can stay in the thread and
rc is welcome also.

OK, thats all fine, but where are the pics.

LRtagger
damn right I can stay in the thread

KCL
11-12-2010, 06:21 PM

nope.....you all were mean to me :eviltongue:...I will post a little something here for you though!!! I mean since Tagger thinks I'm a troll.

iwiFI4pjMZI

dogfish
11-12-2010, 06:22 PM
now you definitely owe me an apology. . .

:mad:

KCL
11-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Hell no, KC! Why would I want pictures of someone young enough to be my daughter?

-----

You can see my pictures on Facebook!

LRtagger
11-12-2010, 06:27 PM
WnAPWa5PX34

KCL
11-12-2010, 06:30 PM

-----

Hell top...I'm young enough to be your daughter....:laugh:

:couch:

KCL
11-12-2010, 06:32 PM
WnAPWa5PX34

You have to go all the way back to that to see the Broncos win
a game.

Broncolingus
11-12-2010, 06:36 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_AAvC0ZSs-1k/SdFCmQqJ2nI/AAAAAAAABZo/NJPOL69qspY/s400/Muppet+Newsflash.jpg

topscribe
11-12-2010, 06:39 PM
You can see my pictures on Facebook!

I have. But it's like cornerbacks: You can never have too many. :D

-----

KCL
11-12-2010, 06:43 PM
I have. But it's like cornerbacks: You can never have too many. :D

-----

You can call me Flowers...okay that was dumb.

LRtagger
11-12-2010, 07:42 PM
a game.

Yea, but must suck to have to pull out the ole Mutoscope to watch the last Chefs SB win.

http://www.shorpy.com/files/mutoscope-b.jpg

KCL
11-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Yea, but must suck to have to pull out the ole Mutoscope to watch the last Chefs SB win.

Must suck that that same team you speak of has a better record this season and Denver is scraping the bottom of the division...now what was this thread about again..:coffee:

LRtagger
11-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Must suck that that same team you speak of has a better record this season and Denver is scraping the bottom of the division...now what was this thread about again..:coffee:

Speaking of going back in time...when was the last time that happened?

KCL
11-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Speaking of going back in time...when was the last time that happened?

which? When the Chiefs won some games or when Denver sucked like they do now?

LRtagger
11-12-2010, 10:07 PM
which? When the Chiefs won some games or when Denver sucked like they do now?

I have to say I am fortunate to be a Broncos fan. It's nice to have never had to suffer through an offseason where any of my rivals were SB champs. I was too young to remember the Raider's wins and I think my Great grandmother was still in 2nd grade when the Chefs last won.

I suppose I can live through one bad season. I'll look to you for pointers on how to deal with it. ;)

KCL
11-12-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm happy to be a Chiefs fan...I may not always be a happy Chiefs fan but I love the Chiefs....so see it makes not a bit of difference what you say about them or me.

LRtagger
11-12-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm happy to be a Chiefs fan...I may not always be a happy Chiefs fan but I love the Chiefs....so see it makes not a bit of difference what you say about them or me.

Good. Chiefs suck!

You're alright in my book though, you master baiting troll you.

KCL
11-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Good. Chiefs suck!

So do you!

LRtagger
11-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Are you calling me a homo?

KCL
11-12-2010, 11:17 PM
what are you talking about? Quit trying to make this thread
about you.

topscribe
11-12-2010, 11:17 PM
a game.

http://www.shorpy.com/files/mutoscope-b.jpg

I like the way this is going. Mods, can we move this to Smack? :D

-----

KCL
11-12-2010, 11:18 PM
I like the way this is going. Mods, can we move this to Smack? :D

-----

top...quit trying to start trouble...this is NOT a smack thread.

KCL
11-12-2010, 11:23 PM
now you definitely owe me an apology. . .

:mad:

I just now saw this..sorry dog..wasn't ignoring you...Tagger got in the way..and no apology is coming from me...so there.

topscribe
11-12-2010, 11:24 PM
sorry dog..no apology is coming from me...so there.

:confused:

-----

LRtagger
11-12-2010, 11:24 PM
what are you talking about? Quit trying to make this thread
about you.

OK. Let's turn this into a thread about your daughter then.

topscribe
11-12-2010, 11:26 PM

Okay, I'll start. Two words . . .

Death wish.

-----

KCL
11-12-2010, 11:27 PM
:confused:

-----

top..it must be past your bed time

:sleeping:

KCL
11-12-2010, 11:33 PM

okay..she had this to say about Denver

topscribe
11-12-2010, 11:34 PM
top..it must be past your bed time

:sleeping:

Y'know, seriously, that's a pretty good idea. It has been one hard day . . .

-----

LRtagger
11-12-2010, 11:35 PM
okay..she had this to say about Denver

Liar. To prove it you have to post a picture of her saying it.

KCL
11-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Liar. To prove it you have to post a picture of her saying it.

Nope....don't have to.

jhildebrand
11-13-2010, 12:03 AM
The crow gets bigger with each post.

:keepslurking:

KCL
11-13-2010, 12:11 AM
The crow gets bigger with each post.

:keepslurking:

Can you believe the ones who came in and ruined a perfectly
good thread...:tsk:

dogfish
11-13-2010, 01:45 AM
top...quit trying to start trouble...this is NOT a smack thread.

it wasn't. . . .

:whistle:

dogfish
11-13-2010, 01:46 AM

i am in favor of this. . .

lady, tell us about her. . .

nobody wants to talk about our shitty run defense. . . :D

LRtagger
11-13-2010, 07:01 AM
Tell us about her likes and dislikes.

What kind of cologne does she prefer on a man?