PDA

View Full Version : DJ Williams Picked Up For DUI

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
11-12-2010, 11:38 AM
DENVER -- Call7 Investigators have confirmed that Denver Bronco DJ Williams was picked up by Denver police Friday morning on suspicion of driving under the influence.
DJ Williams, whose real name is Genos Derwin Williams, was driving a Hummer when he was pulled over at 2:50 a.m. at Broadway and 9th Avenue.
Williams, 28, was arrested at the scene, Call7 Investigator Tony Kovaleski said.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/25771741/detail.html

rcsodak
11-12-2010, 11:42 AM
CAN HIS WORTHLESS ASS! TRADE HIM TO CLE FOR HILLIS!

(ok, the last commment was a joke)
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BroncoWave
11-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Oh sweet, this is just what we needed!

dogfish
11-12-2010, 11:45 AM
nice going, jackass. . . . :tsk:

Northman
11-12-2010, 11:46 AM
LMAO

Keeps getting better and better.

BroncoWave
11-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Sounds like he might get suspended. Per Lindsay Jones:

"DJ Williams also had a DUI in 2005, his second year in Denver. That is bad news in the eyes of the league."

www.twitter.com/postbroncos

rcsodak
11-12-2010, 11:49 AM
LMAO

Keeps getting better and better.
I bet McD was buying the drinks, too! :mad:

SOCALORADO.
11-12-2010, 11:51 AM
And the hits just keep on comin..........

Northman
11-12-2010, 11:54 AM
How long before McD trades Williams for Brian Hoyer?

Gimpygod
11-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Many will probably disagree but I believe the law provides plenty of disincentive for illegal behavior. He will be punished, fined and have to do some sort of community service. I believe his job is not directly impacted but Roger Goodell disagrees so this will be blown tremendously out of proportion. Human beings do make mistakes and my belief is the law of the land is sufficient in doling out punishment.

I don't drink and I can't drive therefore motivation for this position is not self-justification, I simply believe the NFL is becoming over officious and more than just a bit dictatorial.

Northman
11-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Many will probably disagree but I believe the law provides plenty of disincentive for illegal behavior. He will be punished, fined and have to do some sort of community service. I believe his job is not directly impacted but Roger Goodell disagrees so this will be blown tremendously out of proportion. Human beings do make mistakes and my belief is the law of the land is sufficient in doling out punishment.

I don't drink and I can't drive therefore motivation for this position is not self-justification, I simply believe the NFL is becoming over officious and more than just a bit dictatorial.

I understand what your saying and wouldnt expect a huge suspension from this but at the same time its really easy to call a cab or have a limo pick you up for the night. And when your under the spotlight you just have to use more common sense than the average joe because of who you are. IMO

Gimpygod
11-12-2010, 11:57 AM
How long before McD trades Williams for Brian Hoyer?

If the person you mentioned affiliated with the patriots? If so I'm guessing the deal is already done. Also, I super-mega love your avatar love your avatar. See? The voice activation did it twice anticipating how much love I have.

Northman
11-12-2010, 11:58 AM
If the person you mentioned affiliated with the patriots? If so I'm guessing the deal is already done. Also, I super-mega love your avatar love your avatar. See? The voice activation did it twice anticipating how much love I have.

Yep, back up QB to Brady. How'd ya guess? :lol:

Shazam!
11-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Damn it DJ.

Getting sick of all this crap with the Broncos.

Jaws
11-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Silly stupid boy.

Ravage!!!
11-12-2010, 12:20 PM
thats 2 offenses in 5 years. Might bring a 2 game suspension. Lets hope he can serve them this year.

pnbronco
11-12-2010, 12:22 PM
:banghead:....ahhhhhhh

BigDaddyBronco
11-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Not good, but if he was going to get a suspension, this is the year to do it.

Nomad
11-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Yah!!!!!!!!:ohwell:, just what BRONCOS want to hear!!!:tsk:

Millionaires who can definitely afford a cab but too dumb to use them!!

jhildebrand
11-12-2010, 12:30 PM
It may be his way of trying to get out of town.

I like DJ. I just don't see him to be the stud so many make him out to be. He would have some tremendous value for another team. If we are truly going to rebuild I wouldn't mind if the Broncos shipped him out of here.

I know I wont be popular for that opinion.

Ravage!!!
11-12-2010, 12:40 PM

I like DJ. I just don't see him to be the stud so many make him out to be. He would have some tremendous value for another team. If we are truly going to rebuild I wouldn't mind if the Broncos shipped him out of here.

I know I wont be popular for that opinion.

I don't see the benefit of trading him away. Since he's been here... he's moved to nearly every position on the LB field, including from the 43 to the 34.. and is still a tackling machine. Is he a sacking god ... no. But he's MORE than extremely solid when it comes to getting the tackler on the ground, and THAT is the kind of player a teams needs. Solid tacklers taht do their job. Trading him away would only create yet ANOTHER hole that we would then have to TRY and fill with a player that may never be nearly as good. I think we should keep the good players... and not try to "build" where we don't need to build.

nevcraw
11-12-2010, 12:46 PM
If I had that kind of coin, I would never drive myself. I have a driver to take me to the john.

nevcraw
11-12-2010, 12:52 PM

Huh? he's going risk suspension, court crap, jail, etc, and game checks, not mention rep to drink and drive and as a way to get traded or let go??

Seems pretty counter productive to me..

JONtheBRONCO
11-12-2010, 01:00 PM
From DJ Williams Twitter (3 hours ago)

"Sad, but honest truth, I'll never be able to give it up."

Dreadnought
11-12-2010, 01:08 PM

Oh boy....

rcsodak
11-12-2010, 01:08 PM
thats 2 offenses in 5 years. Might bring a 2 game suspension. Lets hope he can serve them this year.
not for certain but isnt there a time span to which the slate kinda clears and starts over? i thought back when BM was being a doosh that if he'd have waited a few more months that they wouldnt compound.

JONtheBRONCO
11-12-2010, 01:09 PM
McDaniels not sure if DJ Williams will play Sunday
By Mike Klis

Broncos captain and leading tackler D.J. Williams has not yet spoken to coach Josh McDaniels in part because the inside linebacker has yet to appear at the team’s facitlity by 10 a.m.

Williams was arrested in downtown Denver on suspicion of DUI at 2:50 this morning. It’s Williams’ second DUI arrest in five years which means he’s subject to league suspension for violating its personal conduct policy.

McDaniels said he does not know if Williams will play Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs until he learns more about the situation.

“”This is going to involve more people than just us,” McDaniels said. “”But we’re going to try to do what’s in the best interest of our organization.”

McDaniels added: “”Certainly disappointed and do not condone that type of behaviour from any of our players, or anybody within our organization.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos

-----------------------------------------------

Funny, he is "tweeting" (check out his page, even after arrest, and early this morning) instead of contacting the head coach. Waiting for more answers, but this isn't looking pretty (as in, making DJ look pretty stupid).

rcsodak
11-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Huh? he's going risk suspension, court crap, jail, etc, and game checks, not mention rep to drink and drive and as a way to get traded or let go??

my thought as well. His next contract could also be effected.

rcsodak
11-12-2010, 01:13 PM

huh? What....now he's an alcky? If so, wwelcome Mr Williams to our mandatory program.......

jhildebrand
11-12-2010, 01:15 PM

For some losing a battle or two is worth it if they win the war. I think a lot of players see the writing on the wall.

BORDERLINE
11-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Shit Happens, I will have too pay for this tough fines/suspension

we are all human so I won't get on his cas people make mistakes that's life.

If he does get suspended i will throw a sh*t fit becouse Farve's azz is gonna be allowed to play out his season watch then get suspended which at that point he will have retired. BS

dogfish
11-12-2010, 01:18 PM

if this is the case, he should give up his driver's license. . .

BroncoStud
11-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Hey MILLIONAIRE! Hire a designated driver!

D1g1tal j1m
11-12-2010, 01:21 PM
For some losing a battle or two is worth it if they win the war. I think a lot of players see the writing on the wall.

I think this is just reaching a little bit. He may have a drinking problem and needs treatment. But to pin this as a way to get out of town, that's making a mountain out of a mole hill.

jhildebrand
11-12-2010, 01:27 PM
I don't see the benefit of trading him away. Since he's been here... he's moved to nearly every position on the LB field, including from the 43 to the 34.. and is still a tackling machine. Is he a sacking god ... no. But he's MORE than extremely solid when it comes to getting the tackler on the ground, and THAT is the kind of player a teams needs. Solid tacklers taht do their job. Trading him away would only create yet ANOTHER hole that we would then have to TRY and fill with a player that may never be nearly as good. I think we should keep the good players... and not try to "build" where we don't need to build.

I agree with most, if not all, of what you said, Rav. Truthfully, I can't really defend too much against it when, like you, I have railed against McD for creating holes on this team where there weren't any.

I guess where I am coming from is DJ right now might be worth more to this team in draft compensation than he is as a single player. If this team could get a 2nd and a 4th (just throwing out an example-I am not really sure what to expect in value) it may be worth it to get two players for him.

I am looking at this as this team has set itself back as it is and the D hasn't truly been addressed since the firing of Shanahan as it should have been (and Shanahan neglected it too) that if this team truly wants to rebuild then now is the time to do it. They have an opportunity to get some very nice picks for DJ and possibly turn one player into multiple all while bringing in young guys and "changing the culture" and all the other stuff that comes with rebuilding.

As for his tackling, he is one of the best on the team. However, there are several plays I see DJ take a horrible angle, look disinterested, or appearing to not give it his all. I do think he gets overrated a bit.

I know my opinions and idea on the guy aren't popular and never will be.

jhildebrand
11-12-2010, 01:30 PM
I think this is just reaching a little bit. He may have a drinking problem and needs treatment. But to pin this as a way to get out of town, that's making a mountain out of a mole hill.

It may be. He was busted 5 years ago for the same thing. If the tweet is genuinely his and referring to his drinking I am the first to admit I am probably wrong and simply speculating.

However, these guys know how the public will use DUI's to dis a player. Look no further than Carmelo.

If I had my way the news wouldn't report it. We don't report the average joe's dui. The only reason it made news is because he is an athlete!

jhildebrand
11-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Shit Happens, I will have too pay for this tough fines/suspension

we are all human so I won't get on his cas people make mistakes that's life.

If he does get suspended i will throw a sh*t fit becouse Farve's azz is gonna be allowed to play out his season watch then get suspended which at that point he will have retired. BS

If the suspension comes quickly I will be pissed. For some reason VJ and other charger DUI punishments have come EXTRA SLOW!

Ravage!!!
11-12-2010, 02:00 PM
I agree with most, if not all, of what you said, Rav. Truthfully, I can't really defend too much against it when, like you, I have railed against McD for creating holes on this team where there weren't any.

I guess where I am coming from is DJ right now might be worth more to this team in draft compensation than he is as a single player. If this team could get a 2nd and a 4th (just throwing out an example-I am not really sure what to expect in value) it may be worth it to get two players for him.

I am looking at this as this team has set itself back as it is and the D hasn't truly been addressed since the firing of Shanahan as it should have been (and Shanahan neglected it too) that if this team truly wants to rebuild then now is the time to do it. They have an opportunity to get some very nice picks for DJ and possibly turn one player into multiple all while bringing in young guys and "changing the culture" and all the other stuff that comes with rebuilding.

As for his tackling, he is one of the best on the team. However, there are several plays I see DJ take a horrible angle, look disinterested, or appearing to not give it his all. I do think he gets overrated a bit.

I know my opinions and idea on the guy aren't popular and never will be.

I see where you are coming from, but I don't think that even though he's not a "dynamic" player... he's pretty damned good at what he does. Not going to be a HoF'er by any means, but the team needs MORE of these kinds of players than we do draft picks. I just don't believe in the strategy of trading away good players for draft choices. Thats taking a given, and tossing it for a "maybe." Two draft picks mean nothing to me, if they aren't good starters. That being said, I don't think we get the compensation that would better this team (I'm like you, I don't know what the compensation would be).

I'll just say that I disagree with you, completely, on seeing DJ as uninterested or not giving it his all. :beer:

Ravage!!!
11-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Favre cheated on his wife. Thats not against the law. Not to mention the girl herself just NOW agreed to meet with the commish. She tried to agree with Favre before this. Whats the NFL going to say? "Uhmmm.... really Brett? your junk?"

I hope DJ's suspension comes as quickly as possible, and I hope he doesn't appeal so that it goes through quickly and not drawn out (like some on other teams try to do). Now is the time to get it over with, so we don't have to worry about it next season.

Dzone
11-12-2010, 02:07 PM
what a dumbass...2:45 AM..driving drunk...real good...we need the idiot for this game sunday

jhildebrand
11-12-2010, 02:08 PM
I see where you are coming from, but I don't think that even though he's not a "dynamic" player... he's pretty damned good at what he does. Not going to be a HoF'er by any means, but the team needs MORE of these kinds of players than we do draft picks. I just don't believe in the strategy of trading away good players for draft choices. Thats taking a given, and tossing it for a "maybe." Two draft picks mean nothing to me, if they aren't good starters. That being said, I don't think we get the compensation that would better this team (I'm like you, I don't know what the compensation would be).

If McD is in charge of the picks-no way. If we somehow get a GM or a change is made I would be all for it.

I'll just say that I disagree with you, completely, on seeing DJ as uninterested or not giving it his all. :beer:

I know my opinion isnt popular. People who watch the games with me used to completely disagree with me too. Lately they have seen some of what I am talking about. I can think of a couple plays in the Raider game and 1 in the SF game. I will see if I cant find a way to find them and highlight them.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying it is Randy moss like. It is one player here and there.

We just don't see eye to eye. That's ok. I know 99% of Bronco fans would disagree with me. I might just be :crazy: on this one.

Dzone
11-12-2010, 02:12 PM

What an IDIOT...ok, so he is an alcoholic...we didnt need to know that...
If he doesnt play Sunday, we are much more likely to lose. CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!

Ravage!!!
11-12-2010, 02:26 PM
If McD is in charge of the picks-no way. If we somehow get a GM or a change is made I would be all for it.

I know my opinion isnt popular. People who watch the games with me used to completely disagree with me too. Lately they have seen some of what I am talking about. I can think of a couple plays in the Raider game and 1 in the SF game. I will see if I cant find a way to find them and highlight them.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying it is Randy moss like. It is one player here and there.

We just don't see eye to eye. That's ok. I know 99% of Bronco fans would disagree with me. I might just be :crazy: on this one.

Ahh.. well.. if you are talking about a play here and there.... I can probably find that with every player in the NFL.

I'm just agreeing that he's not dynamic. Because he's not dynamic, he's not going to get the draft choices that would need to remove a solid player.

I guess just recently I was having a discussion with a friend about the need for just "solid" players on football team, and how we can't expect every one of them to be dynamic, is why I've chimed in here,because although I like DJ.. I'm not like some huge DJ card carrying fan or anything. I just like a player that can be moved around, year in and year out, and still performs very well. Not Dynamic, but performs well. Give me that at almost any position (other than the top skill positions) and I'll be a happy camper. Give me that at EVERY OL/DL position on the field, for sure.

LordTrychon
11-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Ahh.. well.. if you are talking about a play here and there.... I can probably find that with every player in the NFL.

I'm just agreeing that he's not dynamic. Because he's not dynamic, he's not going to get the draft choices that would need to remove a solid player.

I guess just recently I was having a discussion with a friend about the need for just "solid" players on football team, and how we can't expect every one of them to be dynamic, is why I've chimed in here,because although I like DJ.. I'm not like some huge DJ card carrying fan or anything. I just like a player that can be moved around, year in and year out, and still performs very well. Not Dynamic, but performs well. Give me that at almost any position (other than the top skill positions) and I'll be a happy camper. Give me that at EVERY OL/DL position on the field, for sure.

If we had players of DJ's caliber at every position on the defense (sober)... we'd have an awesome defense, to be sure.

:beer:

Wait.... no... better make it :coffee:

Edit: I didn't see it posted in here, but DJ has reported to practice. FWIW. The same article I saw that in said that he refused the breathalizer... which could mean he plans to fight this in court.

SOCALORADO.
11-12-2010, 02:31 PM

This is the definition of PIT, BALT, NYJ, NYG with a top tier draft choice or FA sprinkled in.
Overall solid, fundamentally sound football players with a super-star sprinkled in for good measure.

LordTrychon
11-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Aaaaand... he just left. He was there for about an hour, if I'm not mistaken.

I'd say that lowers our chances of seeing him on Sunday.

cuzz4169
11-12-2010, 02:54 PM
more playing time for Woodyard.......good I think this kids can be a stud...but hes been sitting behind DJ. DJ has been the most overrated player on our defense for years...he plays soft...makes tackles 5 yards down the field....and you guys wonder why our run defense sucks....starts with DJ....when Al Wilson played the run D didn't suck every year and he didn't have stud D-lineman. Trevor Pyrce was the only real player.

rcsodak
11-12-2010, 02:57 PM
If we had players of DJ's caliber at every position on the defense (sober)... we'd have an awesome defense, to be sure.

:beer:

Wait.... no... better make it :coffee:

Edit: I didn't see it posted in here, but DJ has reported to practice. FWIW. The same article I saw that in said that he refused the breathalizer... which could mean he plans to fight this in court.
well he was doing something wrong to get pulled over. And MAYBE he threw down a shot of Glennfidich before leaving. I wouldn't want to see those numbers either! :eek:

rcsodak
11-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Aaaaand... he just left. He was there for about an hour, if I'm not mistaken.

I'd say that lowers our chances of seeing him on Sunday.
maybe he had to go pee! :cheers:

jhildebrand
11-12-2010, 03:14 PM

Agreed.

I think another staff and their talent evaluators would recognize the talent there whether or not he is flashy/dynamic.

But isn't that what so many are bitching about when it comes to Beadles? :confused:

Granted I like that our line is young and truly rebuilt. What remains to be seen is whether they will be successful. But I digress. I think DJ's being moved around is a sign of this team and just how messed up they are on D. Moving him around has its benefits but also its drawbacks. We are moving DJ around out of his strengths and abilities to do so but we aren't filling the void with commensurate talent. I almost think of it as the Penn and Teller shell game.

While Pitt has guys that are flexible, for the most part they are good (outside of drafting well) because they are stable on D. Guys know what their role is and that is what they do. They aren't moving people all over the place.

Im not hellbent on DJ just like you aren't a card carrying fan. Guess it makes for interesting conversation.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-12-2010, 03:19 PM
I understand what your saying and wouldnt expect a huge suspension from this but at the same time its really easy to call a cab or have a limo pick you up for the night. And when your under the spotlight you just have to use more common sense than the average joe because of who you are. IMO

I did not read thru this entire thread, but the guy who comes on after Vic & Gary broke the news on the ticket, from Ch7 reporting it. He stated that there were many Broncos at the Nuggets game last night, and he did not know at that time if DJ was one of them or not. But he stated there are so many ways for DJ to have avoided a DUI - the NFL has a means for them to get transportation, call a player to take you home, etc. He also stated that the area where DJ was picked up was close to where Darrent Williams was on New Years Eve :tsk:

jhildebrand
11-12-2010, 03:24 PM

In Colorado portable breathalizers officers use in the field are inadmissable in court and cannot solely prove a DUI. I don't think his refusal is a sign he is going to fight it. However, refusal to consent to a breathalyzer at the station (big desktop machine) or expressed consent for a blood test usually results in automatic revocation of the license.

DJ learned from his last DUI that refusing the roadside breathilizer was his best course of action.

Bosco
11-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Well this sucks.

jhildebrand
11-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Well this sucks.

That's the end result.

With all the injuries on D this just makes it absolutely worse in that it is completely avoidable.

Bosco
11-12-2010, 03:51 PM
That's the end result.

With all the injuries on D this just makes it absolutely worse in that it is completely avoidable.

We'll have to see what happens. He could theoretically fight this and get any possible suspensions pushed back to next year. That would suck for next year, but damn near cripple us if he was suspended this year.

jhildebrand
11-12-2010, 04:02 PM
We'll have to see what happens. He could theoretically fight this and get any possible suspensions pushed back to next year. That would suck for next year, but damn near cripple us if he was suspended this year.

Well I don't think we have to look much further than Braylon Edwards. He has had some run ins and the Jets only suspended him a quarter. The NFL action is obviously still pending.

I get the feeling McD told him to go home and we wont see him at all Sunday.

Buff
11-12-2010, 04:08 PM

I would rather he serve it at the end of this season, assuming we're likely to be out of contention by then.

I Eat Staples
11-12-2010, 04:12 PM
He has bad character, we better trade him.

Buff
11-12-2010, 04:26 PM
He has bad character, we better trade him.

We miiight be able to get Vrabel for Williams straight up... But Pioli will squeeze a 4th out of us somehow too.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-12-2010, 04:49 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16595086

Denver Broncos linebacker D.J. Williams was arrested this morning on suspicion of drinking and driving.

Williams, driving a Hummer, was stopped at about 2:40 a.m. in the 900 block of Broadway, said John White, a Denver Police Department spokesman.

"He was contacted and ultimately taken in for a DUI," White said.

Arrest papers showed that Williams was also ticketed for driving without headlights. He was ordered to appear in court Dec. 13. The documents make no reference to whether Williams was administered a breath or blood test.

In September of 2005 Williams was arrested in Douglas County for driving under the influence, according to court records. In the 2005 case, Williams pleaded guilty to driving under the influence with ability impaired. He paid at least $740 in fines and court costs, according to court records, and was ordered to perform 24 hours of community service.

Denver District Attorney's spokeswoman Lynn Kimbrough said that anyone found guilty, or who pleads guilty, to a second alcohol-related offense faces a mandatory 10 days in jail which may, at the discretion of the judge, be home detention.

They also face a fine of up to $1,500; community service of up to 120 hours; and a mandatory two years of probation.

Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels said this morning he was disappointed by the news.

"We're certainly disappointed and do not condone that type of behavior from any of our players or anyone else in our organization," McDaniels said.

Earlier today, McDaniels said that Williams was not at the Broncos' Dove Valley complex this morning, adding that he didn't he didn't know if the linebacker would practice at 11:15 a.m. However, with the team already out on the practice field, Williams walked through the headquarter doors at 11:21 a.m. But then, media members viewing the first 10 minutes of practice, saw Williams drive away from the facility just a couple minutes after he arrived.

McDaniels said he does not know if Williams will play Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs until he learns more about the situation.

"This is going to involve more people than just us," McDaniels said. "But we're going to try to do what's in the best interest of our organization."

Williams, the Broncos' leading tackler and one of their defensive captains, could be suspended for two to four games for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy.

San Diego receiver Vincent Jackson is serving for a three-game suspension (reduced from four games) for repeated DUI arrests. Previously, defensive end Jared Allen served a two-game suspension.

The league's personal conduct policy does not require a conviction for commissioner Roger Goodell to suspend a player who is charged. However, it will likely take some time before the NFL rules on Williams, so he might be available to play Sunday against the Chiefs.

Williams' first DUI occurred at about 3 a.m. on Sept. 23, 2005, the Friday morning before the Broncos were to play the Chiefs on "Monday Night Football." Williams left a birthday party and was charged with driving under the influence.

"Yeah, it's embarrassing," Williams told The Denver Post at the time. "I know now you've got to have a driver or somebody driving you around when you plan on going out like that."

— Denver Post staff writers Mike Klis, Jeff Legwold and Howard Pankratz contributed to this story.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-12-2010, 05:03 PM
just reported on fm104.3thefan - DJ was pulled over for no headlights, refused to take breathalyzer, and was taken in

turftoad
11-12-2010, 06:09 PM
just reported on fm104.3thefan - DJ was pulled over for no headlights, refused to take breathalyzer, and was taken in

You mean to tell that Hummers don't have automatic headlights?? WTH

Broncolingus
11-12-2010, 06:41 PM
DJ Williams Picked Up For DUI

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_a-Su2SAnGYU/ShZkR9_Kr5I/AAAAAAAAKFk/MrZLaMqtoBA/s400/GreatNews-1.jpg

(...actually - boo...)

Denver Native (Carol)
11-12-2010, 07:58 PM
http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/11/12/after-dui-arrest-discipline-could-loom-for-williams/#more-1704

DENVER – D.J. Williams’ arrest for driving under the influence in the overnight hours of Friday morning dulled any optimism and good feelings the Broncos and their fans could have carried for a quick turnaround after their bye week.

Now the team operates under the specter of potential discipline for Williams, who has a prior DUI conviction on his record from earlier in his Broncos career.

“We are aware of the incident involving D.J. Williams and in the process of gathering information about that entire situation,” Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. “We do not have all of that information.

“We’re certainly disappointed and do not condone that type of behavior from any of our players or anybody within our organization, and will have additional comment once we know all the facts.”

Those facts were still unclear when McDaniels met the media on Friday morning. Williams had not arrived at team headquarters by then and according to The Denver Post was seen leaving the facility as practice began.

“I don’t know all the facts on that and this is going to involve more people than just us, but we’re going to try to do what’s in the best interests of our organization,” McDaniels said.

It’s possible a suspension could be withheld until after a potential conviction. San Diego wide receiver Vincent Jackson was not issued his three-game suspension by the league until four months after he plead guilty to a 2009 DUI charge, which was the second in his Chargers career. In between the guilty plea and the suspension announcement, he plead guilty to a charge of driving with a suspended license in the hours following the Chargers’ divisional-round loss to the Jets last January.

Further, as demonstrated in the Ben Roethlisberger case, the league can — and will — suspend players without a conviction.

Teams have the option to suspend a player for “conduct detrimental to the team,” under which a myriad of incidents can fall. This is what the Broncos did with Brandon Marshall in the preseason of 2009 after a series of incidents that included punting a ball during practice and knocking down a pass thrown to him in pre-practice warm-ups.

McDaniels said the team would lean upon the league’s discipline standards if it is necessary for Williams.

“We would defer to their policy on that,” McDaniels said. “That’s why it’s there, to help manage these types of situations. We’ve got to choose to do what’s in the best interest for us, and there’s a lot of things that could go into that.”

Earlier this season, the Carolina Panthers went as far as to cut fourth-year wide receiver Dwayne Jarrett following a second DWI arrest in a 31-month span, but Jarrett’s production isn’t anywhere in the same category as Williams or Jackson. The former USC standout and second-round pick in 2007 is largely referred to as a bust after scoring just one touchdown in his career. No one has picked him up since. When the Panthers released him, general manager Marty Hurney said “it is just not working out for either side.”

Exacerbating the recent DUIs — including Jets wide receiver Braylon Edwards’ incident in September — is that all players have access to safe-ride programs, either through their teams or the NFL Players Association. The NFL offers a similar arrangement for club and league staff.

“They (players) have more than a few means to be able to handle those kind of things,” McDaniels said.

gnomeflinger
11-12-2010, 08:51 PM
I will never understand why people, especially athletes or other celebrities, won't call someone to pick them up.

gnomeflinger
11-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Mr. Gnomeflinger said, "If I worked for Josh McDaniels, I'd have a drinking problem too."

Dzone
11-13-2010, 10:44 AM
This hurts our chances of winning Sunday. Plain and simple. Reminds of the Super Bowl Eve arrest of whats his name, Eugene Robinson, the Atlanta safety, for picking up a hooker..Huge distraction...just plain stupid for a player to put himself in this position. For the money he makes, you would think he would be more responsible...Trade his ass next spring. Obviously he has a drinking problem which will shorten his career.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-13-2010, 12:31 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16600624

As the rest of his Broncos teammates began their final practice in preparation for Sunday's game against Kansas City, star linebacker and team captain D.J. Williams walked quietly through the back doors of the team's Dove Valley headquarters.

It was 11:21 a.m. Friday, only a short time after Williams was released from a detox facility where he was taken by police shortly before 3 a.m. after being arrested on suspicion of drunken driving, his second such arrest in his seven years with the Broncos.

By 11:35 a.m., Williams was back in his Hummer SUV, driving away from the facility as practice continued on without him. Coach Josh McDaniels said he was unsure if Williams would play Sunday against the Chiefs.

"The behavior, and the fact that we're two days away from a game, it's very disappointing to me, to our entire organization, and it would be no matter who it was," McDaniels said.

Yet it was certainly disheartening news too, because Williams is a team captain, and as the leader in both tackles (57 solo) and sacks (3.5), he has arguably been the defense's best player through the first half of the season.

Williams, who earlier Thursday night attended the Nuggets-Lakers game at the Pepsi Center, was pulled over at 2:40 a.m. in the 900 block of South Broadway, south of downtown, because the headlights on his Hummer were not on. An NFL source said Williams refused to take a Breathalyzer test at the scene, and he was taken to a DUI facility overnight. Williams' first court date has been set for Dec. 13, the morning after the Broncos' game at Arizona.

But Friday's arrest puts Williams' immediate availability for the Broncos into question, as well.

It would not be a surprise if the Broncos followed the precedent set this season by the New York Jets and Tennessee Titans, who benched their star receivers Braylon Edwards and Kenny Britt, respectively, for one quarter following similar incidents.

Williams also faces a possible multigame suspension from the league for a second violation of the league's substance-abuse policy. He was previously charged with DUI in 2005, though he pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of driving while impaired.

"Yeah, it's embarrassing," Williams told The Denver Post in 2005. "I know now you've got to have a driver or somebody driving you around when you plan on going out like that."

McDaniels could choose to enforce his own punishment before NFL commissioner Roger Goodell makes his ruling. McDaniels routinely preaches the importance of character, and has previously suspended players (Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler for the final game of 2009, as example) for disciplinary matters not involving the legal system.

"This is going to involve more people than just us," McDaniels said. "But we're going to certainly do what's in the best interest of our organization."

Williams also faces potentially severe legal consequences. Under Colorado law, if convicted of a second alcohol-related offense, Williams would receive a mandatory jail sentence of at least 10 days, which at the discretion of a judge could be served at home, and a minimum of two years' probation.

Williams was not available for comment Friday. Several defensive teammates also declined to talk about Williams' arrest.

The Broncos linebacker corps is already thin. Williams' backups inside are Wesley Woodyard, who has missed five games this season with injuries, and Joe Mays, who has only two career starts. The Broncos' other inside linebacker, Mario Haggan, has been playing outside while Robert Ayers is out with a foot injury — though Haggan likely could move back inside and handle the linebacker calls that Williams normally makes, giving Jarvis Moss more playing time outside.

D1g1tal j1m
11-13-2010, 01:29 PM
He should not play for the 1st half of their game against the Chefs and stripped of his Captaincy for the remainder of the season. Other than that, we will have to wait and see what the NFL doles out as punishment.

Disappointing, but addicts tend to disappoint those that rely on them the most...

Dzone
11-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Gawl I hope he doesnt sit any tomorrow...Sit him next week. This game is critical...lose this game, and its pretty much over for the season...We seriously need DJ tomorrow...but when the season is over, get rid of him...now with his baggage we might be lucky to get a 3rd round pick...if he is a true alcoholic, he will self destruct sooner than later...

Im afraid we might see a replay of last years 44-24 beating...we have moss, woodyard, mays and haggan...if Im a Chiefs RB, Im salivating at the chance to get 200 yards tomorrow

dogfish
11-13-2010, 03:48 PM
may as well just take him out behind the barn and "old yeller" him. . . .