PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 coaching candidates for 2011

RebelRocker
11-11-2010, 10:10 PM
With all of the fans calling for McD's head, let's start an official thread to discuss possible candidates and your reason for why they could be in the running to be the next head coach. This isn't an anti-McDaniels thread or a thread for trolls to post 'we're not going to pay 3 coaches in one year!" crap, it's just a thread for fans to vent and discuss our options if McDaniels gets fired after the season.

Personally, I think we need to go after a veteran HC.
1. John Gruden- Huge Tebow fan. Would probably like to stick it to the Raiders.

2. John Fox- Veteran HC with a reputation for running the ball and stopping the run (two things we desperately need to fix). Also, he'd be cheaper to hire than a Gruden, Cowher, Parcells etc.

If we decide to go with another assistant/coordinator(which I DON'T want us to do, but we may not have a choice)

3. Leslie Frazier- Terrific defensive coach that players love to win for.

Discuss

:welcome:

CoachChaz
11-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Not a Gruden fan, but I'd be okay with Fox or Frazier

Lancane
11-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Welcome to the boards!

The favorite of the fans is Jon Gruden followed by Bill Cowher.

But it's kind of moot at this point, it's best to speculate after Josh 'The Dipshit' McDaniels is fired before really speculating. Until then we're stuck with 'Mr. Doh'!

Northman
11-11-2010, 10:25 PM

He lives....:beer:

Denver Native (Carol)
11-11-2010, 10:29 PM
With all of the fans calling for McD's head,

You definitely are assuming a lot :tsk:

BroncoStud
11-11-2010, 10:31 PM
John Fox? You've got to be kidding...

CoachChaz
11-11-2010, 10:31 PM
He lives....:beer:

Wouldnt be the same if I didnt drop my 2 cents every once in awhile

Northman
11-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Wouldnt be the same if I didnt drop my 2 cents every once in awhile

You should post more. Im sure the pessimism doesnt help but your always pretty logical and have some great takes. We need more of you and Gmoney around. Plus, i miss our talks on the mighty Napalm Death. :D

BroncoStud
11-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Jim Harbaugh, John Gruden, Bill Cowher.

I Eat Staples
11-11-2010, 10:35 PM
I find the lack of Cowher disturbing.

CoachChaz
11-11-2010, 10:37 PM
You should post more. Im sure the pessimism doesnt help but your always pretty logical and have some great takes. We need more of you and Gmoney around. Plus, i miss our talks on the mighty Napalm Death. :D

I must have been gone for awhile. When the hell did logic start having any value around here?

Even if I wasnt tired of the incessant adolescent whining and bickering, my new job has me on the road a lot

Northman
11-11-2010, 10:40 PM
I must have been gone for awhile. When the hell did logic start having any value around here?

Even if I wasnt tired of the incessant adolescent whining and bickering, my new job has me on the road a lot

Well, stay safe out there brotha. :salute:

Nomad
11-11-2010, 10:41 PM

I'm sure if Childress gets the boot, Frazier will move right into his office!! At least that's the whispers on sports radio around here!!

atwater27
11-11-2010, 10:41 PM
John Fox? You've got to be kidding...

He's doing a bang up job this year....:laugh:

Lancane
11-11-2010, 10:43 PM
You definitely are assuming a lot :tsk:

Not really, the majority of the fans are calling for his head! ;)

CoachChaz
11-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Well, stay safe out there brotha. :salute:

Always.

And I do frequent your review website pretty often. Always staying up to date on the greatest music in the world.

:woot::woot:

CoachChaz
11-11-2010, 10:48 PM
He's doing a bang up job this year....:laugh:

Yeah, a bad season with holes everywhere and a rookie QB and suddenly he's the worst option in the world.

Anubis!!! Where is that logic you were talking about?

atwater27
11-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah, a bad season with holes everywhere and a rookie QB and suddenly he's the worst option in the world.

Anubis!!! Where is that logic you were talking about?

Yeah. and the Panthers were 8-8 the year before. sounds like a dynamic coach. Obviously we've missed your logic as well.

TimTebow15MVP
11-11-2010, 10:56 PM
With all of the fans calling for McD's head, let's start an official thread to discuss possible candidates and your reason for why they could be in the running to be the next head coach. This isn't an anti-McDaniels thread or a thread for trolls to post 'we're not going to pay 3 coaches in one year!" crap, it's just a thread for fans to vent and discuss our options if McDaniels gets fired after the season.

Personally, I think we need to go after a veteran HC.
1. John Gruden- Huge Tebow fan. Would probably like to stick it to the Raiders.

2. John Fox- Veteran HC with a reputation for running the ball and stopping the run (two things we desperately need to fix). Also, he'd be cheaper to hire than a Gruden, Cowher, Parcells etc.

If we decide to go with another assistant/coordinator(which I DON'T want us to do, but we may not have a choice)

3. Leslie Frazier- Terrific defensive coach that players love to win for.

Discuss

:welcome:

Would john fox and frazier change our defense? if so i say no too those two. gruden wouldnt change the defense, hed just hire a 3-4 coach to run the defense. hell he might even keep wink.

RebelRocker
11-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Would john fox and frazier change our defense? if so i say no too those two. gruden wouldnt change the defense, hed just hire a 3-4 coach to run the defense. hell he might even keep wink.

That would be a good idea, but that leaves us with two important questions.

1. Who's out there for quality 3-4 D coordinators that aren't looking to be head coaches?

2. Gruden has never run a 3-4, so why would he start now?

broncobryce
11-11-2010, 11:03 PM
I like Gruden, but did you know he didn't win a playoff game the last 6 seasons he was coaching?

CoachChaz
11-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Yeah. and the Panthers were 8-8 the year before. sounds like a dynamic coach. Obviously we've missed your logic as well.

And a playoff coach with mediocre QB's and a solid running game prior to that. I see that a career winning record and Super Bowl/Playoff appearances are no longer a valid part of a coaching resume.

RebelRocker
11-11-2010, 11:23 PM
And a playoff coach with mediocre QB's and a solid running game prior to that. I see that a career winning record and Super Bowl/Playoff appearances are no longer a valid part of a coaching resume.

With the exception of this year, Fox's teams have always been consistent and competitive. They do two things and do them WELL. They run the ball and STOP THE RUN. Both facets of our game need some improvement there.

Rick
11-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Posted this link in another thread.

Nice write up of Fox.

http://www.panthers.com/team/coaches/john-fox/20dfb63b-88ae-4044-96a0-9577d2c933f1

If he takes over the team would need a gifted and creative cord to run the offence. Since we used a first on Tebow and I actually think he will be very good in time it needs to be a cord that wants to and can use him and use all his abilities, don't try to make him something he is not.

Gruden would be good in the Tebow role and I would be fine with him as well but I really believe if Garret doesn't improve dallas Gruden is heading there.

TimTebow15MVP
11-11-2010, 11:27 PM
That would be a good idea, but that leaves us with two important questions.

1. Who's out there for quality 3-4 D coordinators that aren't looking to be head coaches?

2. Gruden has never run a 3-4, so why would he start now?

Gruden has never been a defensive coach, so i dont think he will go with what he thinks is best for the unit. I think hell want to focus on the offense and his favorite player ever tebow. I just feel link winks a good DC but hes working without the leagues sack leader and rob ayers.

I just dont see why a coach like gruden wouldnt leave the defense in tack and just focus on his offense. with 2 more pieces on the DL the front 7 is going to be lethal aslong as they stay healthy.

BroncoStud
11-11-2010, 11:39 PM
With the exception of this year, Fox's teams have always been consistent and competitive. They do two things and do them WELL. They run the ball and STOP THE RUN. Both facets of our game need some improvement there.

Fox is getting fired and for a good reason, the Panthers are getting worse every season he coaches there.

There HAS to be a better candidate than Fox in football. He needs to be a defensive coordinator.

CoachChaz
11-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Fox is getting fired and for a good reason, the Panthers are getting worse every season he coaches there.

There HAS to be a better candidate than Fox in football. He needs to be a defensive coordinator.

Really? I'm not necessarily advocating for the guy, but given the choices that started this post, I'd be okay with Fox. I guess I missed the part where his resume made him a horrible coach

BroncoStud
11-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Really? I'm not necessarily advocating for the guy, but given the choices that started this post, I'd be okay with Fox. I guess I missed the part where his resume made him a horrible coach

I don't think he's horrible. I just really hope we go with someone better.

RebelRocker
11-11-2010, 11:48 PM

He's not getting fired, he's in a contract year. They just won't re-sign him after the season. go back a few posts and read John Fox's bio from the Panthers site. It's pretty impressive.

Ravage!!!
11-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Seems that Fox's name is mentioned as a favorite for teh Cowboy's job

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/501952-nfl-week-8-rumors-tony-romo-brett-favre-injuries-and-more/entry/23254-dallas-cowboys-head-coach-wade-phillips-out-john-fox-or-bill-cowher-in

PAINTERDAVE
11-12-2010, 12:01 AM
I sincerely doubt Bowlen will pony up the dough to pay for Cowher.

In fact... I dont think that McD will be fired any time soon...
let's revisit this subject after a few wins...
I bet that would change the tune of this song.

However...

If we were to go winless the rest of the way...?

Well that would make this song much louder, now wouldn't it?

OrangeHoof
11-12-2010, 12:03 AM
IMO, Fox wouldn't be a bad choice. Don't know if he's the guy I want but it's not a bad opening thought.

I am a bit curious though. A very frequent poster just got banned and now RR shows up, makes an OP right out of the gate and continues to debate on that thread. Not saying this is one and the same but the timing is a bit suspicious.

RebelRocker
11-12-2010, 12:09 AM
IMO, Fox wouldn't be a bad choice. Don't know if he's the guy I want but it's not a bad opening thought.

I am a bit curious though. A very frequent poster just got banned and now RR shows up, makes an OP right out of the gate and continues to debate on that thread. Not saying this is one and the same but the timing is a bit suspicious.

I've never been to this site before last week. I think the McD koolaid is starting to have a paranoia effect. :beer:

In all seriousness, if we got Fox as our head coach, this is what his staff should look like.

HC- John Fox
OC- Mike McCoy(he worked with Fox for many years in Carolina and has already built a relationship with Tebow)
DC- Jack Del Rio(I think he'll get canned and worked with Fox before)
ST- Bob Ligashesky(Already on the staff and would probably be better than Priefer).

Poet
11-12-2010, 12:11 AM
Cowher would make the most sense. Gruden would be intruiging, but I'm not sure he's as good as his proponents or as bad as his detractors say.

Fox is not a bad coach. His teams were competitive. He could very well just need a change of scenery.

RebelRocker
11-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Cowher would make the most sense. Gruden would be intruiging, but I'm not sure he's as good as his proponents or as bad as his detractors say.

Fox is not a bad coach. His teams were competitive. He could very well just need a change of scenery.

I think most fans would agree with your statement. Unfortunately, there's a lot of things getting in the way of him(Cowher) coming to Denver.

1. Since his wife passed away, many people think that if he comes back to coaching, he'll stay on the east coast so he can be close to his kids(that's why so many speculated Carolina).

2. How much will he cost? Sure, Gruden may be alot, but Cowher is true elite money.

3. I'm not sure if he's a Tebow fan or not. That's the million dollar question(no pun intended) for any candidate wanting the job. We didn't invest trading 3 picks and taking him in the 1st only to trade him a year or so later.

Shazam!
11-12-2010, 12:41 AM
I'm not sure if he's a Tebow fan or not. That's the million dollar question(no pun intended) for any candidate wanting the job. We didn't invest trading 3 picks and taking him in the 1st only to trade him a year or so later.

This is why TT MUST get time this Season so the incoming Coach has film to see. If Denver truly has a franchise QB in place, coaching the Broncos is attractive. If not, drafting a young QB makes it much more complicated.

Either way I seriously doubt Jaw will come to Denver.

If Denver wins 5 games or less and the team plays poorly the second half, McD is dead regardless of money.

Ravage!!!
11-12-2010, 12:51 AM

I think Cowher is the better coach...but I don't think Denver has enough already on the team to attract him here. Not sure thats true, but sayin'.

Gruden has had a lot of nice things to say about TT, and DOES run a short-passed, controlled, passing attack taht works perfect for Tim.

Is Tim ANY reason to use to pick a HC or not? I have NOOO idea. I personally don't think he'll be a very good NFL QB....but this regime thought he was worth using 4 picks to get. The scary part of that, is that this is a player that may never fit what a coach is wants to do. He's fine for McD's passing offense, but not many others...... hence Gruden.

At least Gruden knows the AFC West, and hates Al Davis. I like that in a HC.

RebelRocker
11-12-2010, 12:55 AM
This is why TT MUST get time this Season so the incoming Coach has film to see. If Denver truly has a franchise QB in place, coaching the Broncos is attractive. If not, drafting a young QB makes it much more complicated.

Either way I seriously doubt Jaw will come to Denver.

If Denver wins 5 games or less and the team plays poorly the second half, McD is dead regardless of money.

Thank you! Somebody else that gets it! Hypothetically speaking, if we're paying Shanny 3.5 million next year along with McDaniels' 1 million(I'm assuming the salary we owe him will cut in half when he gets a new job, like Shanny's) and the new head coach will probably make 2-3 million. That's around 7 million for 3 coaches. We paid Shanny that much for one season! Also, you need to consider that every year we cut players with guaranteed money that we can't get back, so that's millions in dead money.

The idea that we won't pay for 3 coaches in one season is stupid. It's not about how many coaches, it's about the money. If we had to make a change after the season, I think Bowlen could swallow his pride and pay up for a year. It would be for the best of the organization moving forward.

:salute:

Bosco
11-12-2010, 01:23 AM
Well, since we're playing make believe...

Hiring Fox or Frazier would be borderline retarded at this point. Both of them are 4-3 coaches who would almost certainly dump the 3-4 that we'd spent the last two off seasons building. Getting into a constant cycle of switching schemes every couple years is a policy that I want no part of.

On top of that, it's a pretty regressive move IMO as more and more teams are going with the 3-4 in this pass happy league.

Gruden is a vastly overrated but not terrible coach. He does like Tebow, so that's a plus, but he has a pretty sweet gig right now and I don't think he's in any hurry to come back to coaching. If he would agree to stay with the 3-4, it would be something worth considering.

At that point, my two primary choices would be snagging either Charlie Weis or Romeo Crennel from the Chiefs. Weis' playcalling has gone from absolutely abysmal earlier this year to now just slightly below average, but he was a pretty good (and aggressive) play caller in New England so I'm thinking he might just be shaking off the rust from being in the college ranks. His offense is essentially the base foundation from which Josh built his spread Amoeba Offense and if we could convince Mike McCoy to stay on as the OC there would likely be very few growing pains with the scheme. Crennel would be another viable option as he's a proven 3-4 coach but we would need a solid OC to handle the offense. If we could again convince McCoy to stay on and take over that role, I would be on board with it.

Most importantly though, both of those guys would continue on with the "Patriot Way" of a unselfish, team first players.

Northman
11-12-2010, 01:32 AM

Hiring Fox or Frazier would be borderline retarded at this point. Both of them are 4-3 coaches who would almost certainly dump the 3-4 that we'd spent the last two off seasons building. Getting into a constant cycle of switching schemes every couple years is a policy that I want no part of.

On top of that, it's a pretty regressive move IMO as more and more teams are going with the 3-4 in this pass happy league.

Gruden is a vastly overrated but not terrible coach. He does like Tebow, so that's a plus, but he has a pretty sweet gig right now and I don't think he's in any hurry to come back to coaching. If he would agree to stay with the 3-4, it would be something worth considering.

At that point, my two primary choices would be snagging either Charlie Weis or Romeo Crennel from the Chiefs. Weis' playcalling has gone from absolutely abysmal earlier this year to now just slightly below average, but he was a pretty good (and aggressive) play caller in New England so I'm thinking he might just be shaking off the rust from being in the college ranks. His offense is essentially the base foundation from which Josh built his spread Amoeba Offense and if we could convince Mike McCoy to stay on as the OC there would likely be very few growing pains with the scheme. Crennel would be another viable option as he's a proven 3-4 coach but we would need a solid OC to handle the offense. If we could again convince McCoy to stay on and take over that role, I would be on board with it.

Most importantly though, both of those guys would continue on with the "Patriot Way" of a unselfish, team first players.

You were making so much sense until that^. :lol:

Its obvious whatever scheme that was working in NE is still there and not working for the underlings who have left since. Bringing in Weiss and Crennel would solve nothing.

RebelRocker
11-12-2010, 01:40 AM

Hiring more New England cast-offs and already PROVEN failed head coaches to a head coaching position here would be stupid. Why dump one Patriot, then hire another?

The idea here is to get a head coach that's had success in this league before, not a failure who's better off as a coordinator.

Bosco
11-12-2010, 02:46 AM
Hiring more New England cast-offs and already PROVEN failed head coaches to a head coaching position here would be stupid. Why dump one Patriot, then hire another?

The idea here is to get a head coach that's had success in this league before, not a failure who's better off as a coordinator.

Charlie Weis failed at a college football program where he was hampered by extremely high admissions standards that prevented him from recruiting from the full talent pool. That's not a coaching problem and not something that would be an issue back in the NFL.

Romeo Crennel took over a perpetual bottom feeder and actually managed to get a winning season out of them in year three before the wheels came off in 2008. You put him in a much better situation with a team actually dedicated to winning and a good OC handling the offense and I bet you'd be pleased with the results.

You say you want to get a head coach who has had success in this league before, but only one of your top 3 candidates can actually make that claim and one of them has never held an NFL head coaching job before.

EastCoastBronco
11-12-2010, 08:28 AM
I say we hire Wade Phillips again.
And then fire his ass.
History has proven that we do very well as a team when we fire him...;-)

SOCALORADO.
11-12-2010, 08:36 AM

Its obvious whatever scheme that was working in NE is still there and not working for the underlings who have left since. Bringing in Weiss and Crennel would solve nothing.

Ditto.

SOCALORADO.
11-12-2010, 08:47 AM
I think Cowher is the better coach...but I don't think Denver has enough already on the team to attract him here. Not sure thats true, but sayin'.

Gruden has had a lot of nice things to say about TT, and DOES run a short-passed, controlled, passing attack taht works perfect for Tim.

Is Tim ANY reason to use to pick a HC or not? I have NOOO idea. I personally don't think he'll be a very good NFL QB....but this regime thought he was worth using 4 picks to get. The scary part of that, is that this is a player that may never fit what a coach is wants to do. He's fine for McD's passing offense, but not many others...... hence Gruden.

At least Gruden knows the AFC West, and hates Al Davis. I like that in a HC.

This. ^

Cowher is not gonna want to come all the way to the rockies, and coach a team that is in a rebuild, unless its a team close to where he lives like say, gee, CAR once Fox is fired. Or he just goes to a team 2-3 players away from goin to the SB, like DAL. Perfect scenarios for him.
And i honestly dont think Gruden wants the DAL gig myself. Lots of stress there. That team is gonna be in the spotlight constantly, non stop for the rest of this year, and when they hire a new coach that spotlight is just gonna get hotter and hotter as next year goes by. Cowher i think can deal with that, but i think Gruden would actually not want all that crappola. All the hype and expectations, and the DAl media is just ruthless.
I think DEN would make for a perfect situation for Gruden. He knows the AFC West, he would be on an island here in DEN. The media would absolutely love him being from the AFC West, and him being a veteran coach coming in to take over for the no talent @$$ clown. He loves to run the ball, and DEN media and fans have a specific love for a hard running team. DEN is sorta an island, and Gruden's personality fits well. Oh and he absolutely loves Tebow, and specifically wants to coach him.
Fox is a bit of a stretch, but overhauling a defense that lets face it, BLOWS, wouldnt be that big of a deal.

elsid13
11-12-2010, 09:13 AM

It not like Denver has heavy invested in the front seven that we couldn't switch back rapidly. Thomas slides into the UT role, Vickerson and Bannan rotate at the other DT slot, Williams is dumped. Dumervil and Ayers slide back into their natural spots at DE. DJ Williams moves back to MLB, Woodyard at WLB and that leave a SLB to find via FA or Draft. Haggan is back DE/OLB

Rick
11-12-2010, 09:17 AM
This. ^

Cowher is not gonna want to come all the way to the rockies, and coach a team that is in a rebuild, unless its a team close to where he lives like say, gee, CAR once Fox is fired. Or he just goes to a team 2-3 players away from goin to the SB, like DAL. Perfect scenarios for him.
And i honestly dont think Gruden wants the DAL gig myself. Lots of stress there. That team is gonna be in the spotlight constantly, non stop for the rest of this year, and when they hire a new coach that spotlight is just gonna get hotter and hotter as next year goes by. Cowher i think can deal with that, but i think Gruden would actually not want all that crappola. All the hype and expectations, and the DAl media is just ruthless.
I think DEN would make for a perfect situation for Gruden. He knows the AFC West, he would be on an island here in DEN. The media would absolutely love him being from the AFC West, and him being a veteran coach coming in to take over for the no talent @$$ clown. He loves to run the ball, and DEN media and fans have a specific love for a hard running team. DEN is sorta an island, and Gruden's personality fits well. Oh and he absolutely loves Tebow, and specifically wants to coach him.
Fox is a bit of a stretch, but overhauling a defense that lets face it, BLOWS, wouldnt be that big of a deal.

And really though I really like the concept of the 3 - 4 would going to the 4 - 3 really be that tough.

Williams, Fields, Banon, Vikerson, Mcbean all as DT.

Doom, Ayers, Thomas, Hunter, Moss as DE.

DJ stays at MLB, Woodyard WLB, either Hagon or maybe a rookie at SLB.

I'm not saying we should change but if we did it would not be a huge change.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Rick
11-12-2010, 09:19 AM
It not like Denver has heavy invested in the front seven that we couldn't switch back rapidly. Thomas slides into the UT role, Vickerson and Bannan rotate at the other DT slot, Williams is dumped. Dumervil and Ayers slide back into their natural spots at DE. DJ Williams moves back to MLB, Woodyard at WLB and that leave a SLB to find via FA or Draft. Haggan is back DE/OLB

Beat me to it.

SOCALORADO.
11-12-2010, 09:37 AM

DEN blows on defense anyways, so it wouldnt be a huge issue to switch back.
Theres also solid FA's to run a 4-3 as well. Plus the draft. I also think this is it for Champ. I think no matter what happens in the offseason, with or without a coaching change, he just asks for an out. He only has maybe 2 more years to get a ring, and lets face it, DEN aint winning a SB in the next 2 years.
FA
DE
Ray Edwards, MIN
Mathias Kiwanuka, NYG
Marcus Spears, DAL
DT
Brandon Mebane, SEA
Gabe Watson, ARI
Bryan Robinson, ARI
LB
David Hawthorne, SEA
Chad Greenway, MIN
Paul Posluszny, BUF

OrangeHoof
11-12-2010, 09:43 AM
I don't really care if it is 3-4 or 4-3 so long as it stops people. And there's something to be said for being contrarian. What made the Steelers seem such great drafters in the 90s was that most teams abandoned the 3-4 due to the 4-3 success in SF and DAL. So it was easy for them to find the Levon Kirklands, Greg Lloyds and Casey Hamptons, etc. that fit their system. As more teams latched onto the 3-4, it became harder to draft good 3-4 defenders. As examples, Shawne Merriman and DeMarcus Ware would have been undersized DEs in a 4-3 and would not have as desireable back when 4-3s dominated. Instead, they were first-round talent in 3-4 defenses.

So, if the NFL world is switching to a 3-4, the 4-3 becomes more desirable because the competition for talented 4-3 players shrinks. As defenses and packages become more diverse, teams spend less time in their base defenses anyway.

Bottom line, I wouldn't shy away from a defensive coach because he prefers a 4-3 to a 3-4 and, secondly, I don't think most of our front 7 talent is so specialized that they couldn't make the transition. Heck, some like Doom and DJ have already transitioned from one to the other.

Elevation inc
11-12-2010, 10:14 AM
welcome to the boards..

anyways i dont think MCD needs to be fired, I am not a fan right now, but its not soley him i have issues with.

If he was fired however, I would put a call into Jim harbaugh from stanford or Rick Dennison. I would like either of them as HC, and neither are power hungry, and would listen to a real GM and both are very good X's and O's coaches, and both would give Tim Tebow a chance. The more I think about it the more i dont want a vet coach.....just me i guess. I would be okay with gruden though.

Also a absolute hell no to cowher, Fox, Garrett, billick, or Del rio....and frazier is about to be HC in minnesota very soon....especially after the leaked story about how players cant stand Childress and the only reason they are even trying to play is for each other not for him....

Nomad
11-12-2010, 10:27 AM
welcome to the boards..

anyways i dont think MCD needs to be fired, I am not a fan right now, but its not soley him i have issues with.

If he was fired however, I would put a call into Jim harbaugh from stanford or Rick Dennison. I would like either of them as HC, and neither are power hungry, and would listen to a real GM and both are very good X's and O's coaches, and both would give Tim Tebow a chance. The more I think about it the more i dont want a vet coach.....just me i guess. I would be okay with gruden though.

Also a absolute hell no to cowher, Fox, Garrett, billick, or Del rio....and frazier is about to be HC in minnesota very soon....especially after the leaked story about how players cant stand Childress and the only reason they are even trying to play is for each other not for him....

You're hearing the same thing across the pond about Frazier!!

Yeah, I flip flop on McDaniels. I read the level-headness of the folks like Joe and BDB and say they're right then I read the ones who want to get rid of him and say yeah they are right!! He may not get fired this year but he has to turn this team around....4/5 yrs of second half season meltdowns is getting old.....there is a coach out there who can turn this around if it isn't McDaniels. I've seen coaches at all levels in McDaniel's shoes then bam.......it's like a switch was turn on and the team gels together and starts winning!! I think I'll just keep a sense of humor about the situation and wait&see what happens!!

Slick
11-12-2010, 10:38 AM
If we do anything, we should start with a GM who truly is the HMFIC. How we went from Shanahan's dictatorship to McDaniels doing basically the same thing is beyond me.

GEM
11-12-2010, 10:42 AM

Yep, I'm tired of shaking the NE coaching tree..haven't we learned that lesson yet? :lol:

Nomad
11-12-2010, 10:42 AM
If we do anything, we should start with a GM who truly is the HMFIC. How we went from Shanahan's dictatorship to McDaniels doing basically the same thing is beyond me.

Starts at the very top Slick!!! He's the one that can give and remove powers!!! That's why I'll be extremely disappointed if he doesn't change something, if we keep on the same track we are going!!!

BroncoStud
11-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Belichek never won anything without Brady...

Shanahan never won anything without Elway...

Cowher didn't win a Super Bowl until he had Big Ben...

Seifert won with Steve Young...

Walsh with Montana...

Holmgren with a young Brett Favre...

Dungy didn't win without Manning...

It all starts at QB. You can HOPE to have a good coach that will build you a solid team with solid fundamentals, but if you want to win Super Bowls and be a contender every year you need a great QB.

What if Orton was quarterback on the Colts... What would their record be? .500 maybe? It all starts at QB. You can have a mediocre one and build a great team around him and HOPE to play in January or you can have a GREAT QB and build a mediocre team around him and expect to play in January.

Elevation inc
11-12-2010, 11:13 AM
You're hearing the same thing across the pond about Frazier!!

Yeah, I flip flop on McDaniels. I read the level-headness of the folks like Joe and BDB and say they're right then I read the ones who want to get rid of him and say yeah they are right!! He may not get fired this year but he has to turn this team around....4/5 yrs of second half season meltdowns is getting old.....there is a coach out there who can turn this around if it isn't McDaniels. I've seen coaches at all levels in McDaniel's shoes then bam.......it's like a switch was turn on and the team gels together and starts winning!! I think I'll just keep a sense of humor about the situation and wait&see what happens!!

Yeah childress is done.......

as for MCD, i agree somedays i like the dude and i know he has very smart football knowledge and he knows Qb's, but ellis messed up tellling bowlen he could handle the full gig.....bad call...no 32 year old coach should get that much power.....even if the new guy was humble this is the NFL it aint easy for a reason.....

Bottom line even if MCD stays or goes is we need a legit GM to run the personnel side of things. I actually belive that would do wonders for MCD as coach. im fine with MCD hving a say as some of his choices are very talented. but the defacto decision needs to come from a legit GM

I also wonder if this franchsie will ever recover from having a guy in charge like Ellis, i have a fear Ellis is gunning for the highest role possible(owner when bowlen cant do it anymore).....this is why bringing in a FO guy like Parcells or even bringing in John elway could be huge.

Outside of the coaching, players need to be held accountable as well.....many players on this team have not been executing on gamedays and commiting costly errors at horrible times.

I really didnt expect Jamal, bannan, and Jarvis green to bust lioke they did, and inuries to doom and ayers have really hurt our run defense and pass rush. also injuries to goodman and dawkins hurt as well.

this team has alot more pieces in place than people realize. But I also agree some serious changes need to happen with regards to coaching and flip flopping schemes all the time.

Ultimately a key for this franchise is to find a staff if MCD is let go, that is willing to try tebow at QB and work with him, and not look for some journey man QB to win now, we need to build and build young....if a new staff comes in i can do with a year or 2 of poor play if big changes occur.

What i dont want is a guy to come in change over 30-40 players and say were trying to win now.....that pride is what has MCd in the doghouse now, becasu that goal after that kind of turnover is not realistic at all.....

sadly that 6-0 start last year is the worst thing that could have happened because it made everyone start expecting top results....had we gone 3-3 im certain the players would have been more level headed coming out of the bye then they were.....

SOCALORADO.
11-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Belichek never won anything without Brady...

Shanahan never won anything without Elway...

Cowher didn't win a Super Bowl until he had Big Ben...

Seifert won with Steve Young...

Walsh with Montana...

Holmgren with a young Brett Favre...

It all starts at QB. You can HOPE to have a good coach that will build you a solid team with solid fundamentals, but if you want to win Super Bowls and be a contender every year you need a great QB.

What if Orton was quarterback on the Colts... What would their record be? .500 maybe? It all starts at QB. You can have a mediocre one and build a great team around him and HOPE to play in January or you can have a GREAT QB and build a mediocre team around him and expect to play in January.

OK, but Gruden went in to TB, and won with.....Brad Johnson.
Gruden in OAK was on his way to a SB with........Steve Bono, no wait, Jim Drunkenmill....no no,.... whats his name!?!?.........Rich Gannon! Yeah, that iT!
And Gruden loves Tim Tebow.

Jeez, you cant write a better script.

RebelRocker
11-12-2010, 11:28 AM
And really though I really like the concept of the 3 - 4 would going to the 4 - 3 really be that tough.

Williams, Fields, Banon, Vikerson, Mcbean all as DT.

Doom, Ayers, Thomas, Hunter, Moss as DE.

DJ stays at MLB, Woodyard WLB, either Hagon or maybe a rookie at SLB.

I'm not saying we should change but if we did it would not be a huge change.

I agree. That's what I had in mind, as well. As for the secondary

Cox, McBath, Rookie/FA, Goodman

I think that we'll let Champ walk in free agency and Dawkins will retire.

Ravage!!!
11-12-2010, 11:32 AM

OK, but Gruden went in to TB, and won with.....Brad Johnson.
Gruden in OAK was on his way to a SB with........Steve Bono, no wait, Jim Drunkenmill....no no,.... whats his name!?!?.........Rich Gannon! Yeah, that iT!
And Gruden loves Tim Tebow.

Jeez, you cant write a better script.

Yes.. you CAN have success with a 'system' QB, but it makes it MUCH MUCH harder, and you aren't really in contention each year. You MIGHT have taht one REALLY great season, and make a run at it...but usually fall to the teams that have the very good QB behind center.

I agree. Gruden did it in Tampa where Dungy didn't (I think Dungy is the most overrated coach around, and its because he's such a likeable guy, and not what he has done as a coach). But Gruden had the benefit of a fantastic defense in TB.

Like I said somewhere before. Gruden fits because he TOO, runs a very short passing..controlled.. spread like offense that would work perfect for Tebow. Not asking him to make a lot of reads, not asking him to be much of a traditional passer, but one that relies on the dink-n-dunk type of offense. Which... in reality... REALLY REALLY bores me. It worked for Gannon, it worked for Johnson, and its working for Orton.

Right now, because we are basically "stuck" w Tebow (and I mean that in a sense that we have NO idea what he is and what he isn't. We are stuck, because we have a coach thats not playing him, but.. we spent so much on him. I'm not convinced he can be a good NFl QB) and I don't know how many coaches want to be "stuck" with a complete unknown project such as he is. Gruden seems to be the guy that MIGHT (and we still don't really know) like that opportunity.

Ravage!!!
11-12-2010, 11:40 AM
as for MCD, i agree somedays i like the dude and i know he has very smart football knowledge and he knows Qb's,

sadly that 6-0 start last year is the worst thing that could have happened because it made everyone start expecting top results....had we gone 3-3 im certain the players would have been more level headed coming out of the bye then they were.....

I don't know, Inc. I'm not really sure he truly knows QBs at all, or just has a spread system that allows QB to throw a lot of yards... like we often see in college. Spread offenses throw for a lot of yards, but the QBs generally don't translate well into the NFL.

I mean... McD tried to trade for Cassel, traded up for Brandstater, ended up with Orton, gave a ton of money to Simms, used a ton of picks to get Tebow, then gives Orton an extension, and trades Hillis to get Quinn. Not sure I see a coach that really KNOWS QBs.

I also don't think I agree with your assessment of last year's 6-0. I mean, I get what you are saying...but if it was the PLAYERS that came out cocky after the bye, and couldnt' get it back into gear after the ONE loss, then that shows a MAJOR MAJOR lack of leadership from the coaching staff. I don't think it was the players letting down, as much as things just coming back down to reality.

I think we are on the same page about needing a true GM, and getting rid of Ellis :beer:

SOCALORADO.
11-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Yes.. you CAN have success with a 'system' QB, but it makes it MUCH MUCH harder, and you aren't really in contention each year. You MIGHT have taht one REALLY great season, and make a run at it...but usually fall to the teams that have the very good QB behind center.

I agree. Gruden did it in Tampa where Dungy didn't (I think Dungy is the most overrated coach around, and its because he's such a likeable guy, and not what he has done as a coach). But Gruden had the benefit of a fantastic defense in TB.

Like I said somewhere before. Gruden fits because he TOO, runs a very short passing..controlled.. spread like offense that would work perfect for Tebow. Not asking him to make a lot of reads, not asking him to be much of a traditional passer, but one that relies on the dink-n-dunk type of offense. Which... in reality... REALLY REALLY bores me. It worked for Gannon, it worked for Johnson, and its working for Orton.

Right now, because we are basically "stuck" w Tebow (and I mean that in a sense that we have NO idea what he is and what he isn't. We are stuck, because we have a coach thats not playing him, but.. we spent so much on him. I'm not convinced he can be a good NFl QB) and I don't know how many coaches want to be "stuck" with a complete unknown project such as he is. Gruden seems to be the guy that MIGHT (and we still don't really know) like that opportunity.

Agreed!
That is the basis for my wanting Gruden.
You cant find a better fit for this team. He has won with nobodys at QB, and done it consistently. Clearly he knows the position and how to optimize the QB he has strengths. Gannon was a bookworm, who wanted to win. He was at the facility before dawn watching tape. Sounds alot like TT. Gruden and Tebow are a perfect fit to me.
I dont care for the dink and dunk either, and i actually think that Gruden with the deep passing weapons in DEN might realize Tebows accuracy with the deep ball and let it fly just a bit more, but yeah i am not a huge fan, but still! Tebow fits it just perfect. Add into it Grudens love for the run game, which DEN just happens to absolutely BLOW chunks at, and the need for a serious defensive overhaul, and i think Gruden is the guy to get this rebuild going.
Plus i like the leadership, and the nasty attitude.

Gimpygod
11-12-2010, 12:11 PM

they don't seem to count for Shanahan around here for certain posters.

RebelRocker
11-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Agreed!
That is the basis for my wanting Gruden.
You cant find a better fit for this team. He has won with nobodys at QB, and done it consistently. Clearly he knows the position and how to optimize the QB he has strengths. Gannon was a bookworm, who wanted to win. He was at the facility before dawn watching tape. Sounds alot like TT. Gruden and Tebow are a perfect fit to me.
I dont care for the dink and dunk either, and i actually think that Gruden with the deep passing weapons in DEN might realize Tebows accuracy with the deep ball and let it fly just a bit more, but yeah i am not a huge fan, but still! Tebow fits it just perfect. Add into it Grudens love for the run game, which DEN just happens to absolutely BLOW chunks at, and the need for a serious defensive overhaul, and i think Gruden is the guy to get this rebuild going.
Plus i like the leadership, and the nasty attitude.

Totally! I think the fact that he can have the opportunity to coach Tebow and stick it to the Raider twice a year would be a big selling point for Gruden.

He wouldn't have to do a lot on offense. I think it's just a matter of scheme.

O-line
Clady-Beadles-Walton-Kuper-Harris
Clady and Harris were playing at a pro bowl level when they were in a west coast offense. With a change of scheme and a year's experience under the rookie's belts, they be very effective in a west coast offense.

RB's-Moreno-White
I could see us going after a RB in FA or early in the draft to compliment Moreno, but I think we'll also keep Lendale White as a short yardage, goal line back.

TE-Graham-Quinn-Gronkowski
Hard to say what he'd do here. Graham's going into a contract year next season and I'm not sure if the other two will be here for a regime change.

WR-Thomas-Decker-Royal-Willis
He would already have his top 3 receivers in Thomas, Royal and Decker. Willis might be held on to because of his special teams ability and looks to be a better receiver than expected.

QB-Tebow-Quinn
Obviously, he'd had the "face of the franchise" in Tebow and a veteran back-up in Quinn that he could go to, if Tebow got hurt.

I'm not sure if he'd be willing to go back to a 4-3 or a stay with the current 3-4 defense we have. I think it depends on the quality of the coordinators available for us to pick from.

BroncoStud
11-12-2010, 01:26 PM
I think the finest example of Shanahan's coaching is when his Jake Plummer-led team made it to the AFC Championship. Shanahan got the MOST out of every player that season on the roster and made it look so easy. The team played above it's head most of the year.

A good coach can do that. But a GREAT QB can keep you competitive every year.

I Eat Staples
11-12-2010, 03:30 PM
I hate the idea of Tebow dictating what coach we hire. I guess we're going to continue to be screwed by McDaniels long after he's gone.

Jake Klug
11-12-2010, 03:32 PM
I sincerely doubt Bowlen will pony up the dough to pay for Cowher.

In fact... I dont think that McD will be fired any time soon...
let's revisit this subject after a few wins...
I bet that would change the tune of this song.

However...

If we were to go winless the rest of the way...?

Well that would make this song much louder, now wouldn't it?

Its amazing how the bar keeps getting lowered to accommodate the idea of keeping McDaniels. If you would have said at the end of October 09 that if Denver were to go 2-8, 4-14, and get beat 59-14 by the Raiders at home, people would have resoundingly said McDaniels is done. But now that we're there, theres all this hedging. And now suddenly it hinges on three more wins the rest of the way? Huh!

A lot of it ties into Bowlen not wanting to spend money. Maybe thats true but if if 2-8, 4-14, and 59-14 arent enough, then this idea that more needs to happen is kind of sad.

Jake Klug
11-12-2010, 03:36 PM
I hate the idea of Tebow dictating what coach we hire. I guess we're going to continue to be screwed by McDaniels long after he's gone.

Except its not just Tebow. A lot of people have an afinity for the old offense, the WCO. I think a lot of people see him as being less stubborn and less averse to all things Shanahan.

BroncoStud
11-12-2010, 03:53 PM
I think at this point if you don't get Cowher I would stick with McDaniels for another season, give him the CHANCE to turn it around. The guy knows football and a bit of humility might be what the Doctor ordered.

He was such a hot commodity when we brought him in a lot that had to make him feel entitled to blow up the roster.

With as much turnover as we have had I think it's only fair to give him another season to show he is doing the right thing. The Hillis move is what really pisses me off. Hillis had proven he was a good player and a versitale player, he would easily be able to catch passes out of the backfield here in this offense and excel doing it - That was a horrible trade, but at the time so many of us were happy to get Quinn.

Josh has proven he can put together a winning gameplan. He needs to do it consistently. I'm still of the thinking that if he had a dynamic QB a lot of this would be forgiven. A really GOOD QB who can throw to all spots on the field would destroy in this offense. Look what Brady did, 49 TDs. Right now Orton is on pace for 24. If we had a QB who scared defenses it would open up a lot more for this team.

RebelRocker
11-12-2010, 04:10 PM
I think at this point if you don't get Cowher I would stick with McDaniels for another season, give him the CHANCE to turn it around. The guy knows football and a bit of humility might be what the Doctor ordered.

He was such a hot commodity when we brought him in a lot that had to make him feel entitled to blow up the roster.

With as much turnover as we have had I think it's only fair to give him another season to show he is doing the right thing. The Hillis move is what really pisses me off. Hillis had proven he was a good player and a versitale player, he would easily be able to catch passes out of the backfield here in this offense and excel doing it - That was a horrible trade, but at the time so many of us were happy to get Quinn.

Josh has proven he can put together a winning gameplan. He needs to do it consistently. I'm still of the thinking that if he had a dynamic QB a lot of this would be forgiven. A really GOOD QB who can throw to all spots on the field would destroy in this offense. Look what Brady did, 49 TDs. Right now Orton is on pace for 24. If we had a QB who scared defenses it would open up a lot more for this team.

McDaniels has proven to me that he's not ready to have this much power within an organization. I know the 6-0 start last year is giving some people hope to believe in McDaniels, but since his scheme and philosophy has been exposed, he's 4-14. Injuries can't be an excuse, either. Good coaches find a way to make their team consistent and effective.

If he can turn things around for us this season, I'll give him ONE more year. If not, we need to cut him loose. He may become a good HC eventually, but not at the risk of our team's well-being. We're better off cutting our losses after the season, if he doesn't turn things around.

BroncoStud
11-12-2010, 04:15 PM
McDaniels has proven to me that he's not ready to have this much power within an organization. I know the 6-0 start last year is giving some people hope to believe in McDaniels, but since his scheme and philosophy has been exposed, he's 4-14. Injuries can't be an excuse, either. Good coaches find a way to make their team consistent and effective.

If he can turn things around for us this season, I'll give him ONE more year. If not, we need to cut him loose. He may become a good HC eventually, but not at the risk of our team's well-being. We're better off cutting our losses after the season, if he doesn't turn things around.

I thought one of the reasons Bowlen got rid of Shanahan was because he wanted a true GM like the Dolphins and Patriots had?

I don't understand how McDaniels has full reign on the roster. He's only 34 years old, that seems too young for such control.

SOCALORADO.
11-12-2010, 04:23 PM

I already gave him his time to show me what he can do.

1. He sucks at drafting. Period.
2. He sucks at FA. Period
3. He sucks at making trades. Period.
4. He sucks at interpersonal relationships in the work place. Period.
5. He sucks at listening to criticism. Period.
6. He sucks at coaching an NFL level football team. Period.
7. He can coach QB's. Whoopie.
8. He can run the spread offense. Whoopie.

Lots of sucking. Not alot of winning.
Nolan was just as responsible for the 6-0 start as anybody.

RebelRocker
11-12-2010, 04:25 PM
I thought one of the reasons Bowlen got rid of Shanahan was because he wanted a true GM like the Dolphins and Patriots had?

I don't understand how McDaniels has full reign on the roster. He's only 34 years old, that seems too young for such control.

I should re-phrase that. He has a lot of say in personnel decisions. Xanders is technically the GM, but McDaniels still has a lot of power for a first time head coach.

RebelRocker
11-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Somebody on another forum suggested that we get Joel Collier as a GM. He's currently the Chief's assistant GM to Piolo and the son of Joe Collier, the broncos DC from the 70's and early 80's. He basically created the Orange Crush. It would be an interesting move.

claymore
11-12-2010, 10:13 PM
I wouldnt mind a Gruden/Wade phillips combo. Phillips doesnt have an Ego and is a damn fine DC. We would need a very good GM to be able to manage Gruden though.

I wanted McD and Nolan though, so I dont know what Im talking about.

RebelRocker
11-12-2010, 11:22 PM
I wouldnt mind a Gruden/Wade phillips combo. Phillips doesnt have an Ego and is a damn fine DC. We would need a very good GM to be able to manage Gruden though.

I wanted McD and Nolan though, so I dont know what Im talking about.

GM- Joel Collier
HC- Jon Gruden
OC- Bill Muir
DC- Wade Phillips
ST- Bob Ligashesky

that's a good staff. The only problem I see is how we'll manage to bring Phillips back to Denver. Maybe there's too much of a stink on him from this season in Dallas for a lot of teams to consider him as a coordinator.

elsid13
11-13-2010, 09:21 AM
If there is move made, which I doubt, let give to the guy that should have gotten the job in the first place - Dennison. He knows the team, the city and the tradition. And according to reports had very impressive pitch on how he would have fixed the defense and elevated the offense to the next level. Plus all the players loved playing for him.

Add in Joel Collier as the GM and we might turn this thing around.

RebelRocker
11-13-2010, 10:30 AM
If there is move made, which I doubt, let give to the guy that should have gotten the job in the first place - Dennison. He knows the team, the city and the tradition. And according to reports had very impressive pitch on how he would have fixed the defense and elevated the offense to the next level. Plus all the players loved playing for him.

Add in Joel Collier as the GM and we might turn this thing around.

I'll pass on Dennison.

atwater27
11-13-2010, 10:46 AM

Exactly! We need to hire a HC to win. Not hire a HC based on how we think he will interact with current questionable draft picks.

Ravage!!!
11-13-2010, 11:07 AM

I agree. I said this after teh Cutler disaster. This guy is removing talent like crazy, and who's going to be left with the complete purge of talent once he's gone... WE are. He'll move along, and we'll be left with the complete wipe, and for what?

RebelRocker
11-13-2010, 11:34 AM
I agree. I said this after teh Cutler disaster. This guy is removing talent like crazy, and who's going to be left with the complete purge of talent once he's gone... WE are. He'll move along, and we'll be left with the complete wipe, and for what?

I'm surprised that there's still fans supporting McD after what he's done to the team.

elsid13
11-13-2010, 12:12 PM
I'll pass on Dennison.

Why? The guy know his stuff and by all accounts is extremely smart. According to Kuper's dad, Dennison was the only coach to get McDaniels total offense in the first month when he brought it in.

Ravage!!!
11-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Why? The guy know his stuff and by all accounts is extremely smart. According to Kuper's dad, Dennison was the only coach to get McDaniels total offense in the first month when he brought it in.

yeah.. but nothing about him says "HC" to me.

elsid13
11-13-2010, 12:23 PM
yeah.. but nothing about him says "HC" to me.

I am sure Atlanta fans had the same feeling about line coach Mike Smith when he was selected or Raven's fan did when Ozzy selected Special Team coach John Harbaugh. Head Coaches retreads rarely are successful in their next stop.

Ravage!!!
11-13-2010, 01:58 PM
I am sure Atlanta fans had the same feeling about line coach Mike Smith when he was selected or Raven's fan did when Ozzy selected Special Team coach John Harbaugh. Head Coaches retreads rarely are successful in their next stop.

Fair enough. But right now we need a solid coach. I agree with your statement, and wouldn't mind finding one that has never had a HC job before...but I just don't see that in Dennison. But... :whoknows: he could be great. People thought that Kubiak would be good, and he's not.

Personally... I would like to hire Brian Schottenheimer. I think he has extremely solid upbringing around an NFL coach that not only KNEW how to build a team, but proved to get along with players. A winner.

RebelRocker
11-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Fair enough. But right now we need a solid coach. I agree with your statement, and wouldn't mind finding one that has never had a HC job before...but I just don't see that in Dennison. But... :whoknows: he could be great. People thought that Kubiak would be good, and he's not.

Personally... I would like to hire Brian Schottenheimer. I think he has extremely solid upbringing around an NFL coach that not only KNEW how to build a team, but proved to get along with players. A winner.

If we bring in young Schottenheimer, I think we should hire Marty to be the GM.